PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Did Reid play it conservative against Detroit?

BlackOp
10-02-2019, 09:59 AM
I saw Simms talking about KC repeating plays against the Lions...did Reid deliberately keep things "close to the vest".

He knew Patrica was going to duplicate what NE did in the AFCCG...and definitely was in BB's ear last week.

If this is the case..props to Reid and his long game strategy. KC should consider doing the same in NE...all that matters is the play-offs.

ModSocks
10-02-2019, 10:05 AM
I don't know, but i do know there are certain elements missing from this offense that we'll likely see when Tyreek Hill comes back (we don't do as much mis-direction as we use to for one).

You'd have to imagine there is a large volume of plays centered around Tyreek Hill that Reid has likely shelved, and will use during the 2nd qtr+ of the season once Hill is back.

BlackOp
10-02-2019, 10:08 AM
I don't know, but i do know there are certain elements missing from this offense that we'll likely see when Tyreek Hill comes back (we don't do as much mis-direction as we use to for one).

You'd have to imagine there is a large volume of plays centered around Tyreek Hill that Reid has likely shelved, and will use during the 2nd qtr+ of the season once Hill is back.

Belichick is know for tailoring his strategy on a per opponent basis...if KC blows their wad in the first NE game...he'll make adjustments.

Is Reid disciplined enough to do this? His teams usually become less effective towards the end of the year as DCs start to have film on what's he doing...make you wonder if this is a reason he's only been to one SB.

wheeler08
10-02-2019, 10:12 AM
Our we talking about the same Reid that can’t run a 2 minute offense to save his life? I just don’t know if he’s that crafty. It’d be nice to think so

jjchieffan
10-02-2019, 10:12 AM
I don't know. It's been weird this year. Reid always unleashes new plays early in the season, but not this year. Also, the screen game is pretty much non existent anymore. it used to be a staple of the offense. It seemed to me that screens would have worked wonderfully last week against the defense that the Lions were using. You may be right. It sure looks like Reid is holding back right now. Which is fine. Save some concepts for the playoffs. Go into the AFCCG like they did against the Patriots week 1 a couple of years ago and catch Belicheat with something that he wsan't expecting.

wheeler08
10-02-2019, 10:15 AM
Yea I don’t know why we didn’t screen the hell out of them last week

Lzen
10-02-2019, 10:17 AM
Our we talking about the same Reid that can’t run a 2 minute offense to save his life? I just don’t know if he’s that crafty. It’d be nice to think so

I know, man. We couldn't even run that 2 minute offense to beat Detroit..........oh, wait..... :spock:

BlackOp
10-02-2019, 10:22 AM
Interesting stat...since AR has been with KC...they have finished 18-17 over the final 7 games in 5 out the 6 years.

They had a red hot 2015 team that went 7-0 which was the anomoly.

O.city
10-02-2019, 10:23 AM
I don't know that there's really much he could "show" against NE the first time.

They did the same thing last year, it didn't really matter

O.city
10-02-2019, 10:24 AM
Interesting stat...since AR has been with KC...they have finished 18-17 over the final 7 games in 5 out the 6 years.

Definitely struggle down the stretch at times, seems they did last year.

Some of that is injuries but everyone has injuries.

They kind of had to learn to beat good teams without their best last year, they didn't do that much. This year seems different hopefully.

TomBarndtsTwin
10-02-2019, 10:29 AM
Did Reid play it conservative against Detroit?

I'd like to believe this was true.

But I don't.

Turnovers on our side of the field were the difference. If KC doesn't make stupid mistakes, this is a 40-20 game, instead of 34-30.

Run defense still sucked, but what is new. You can't be good at everything. If they can be at least average or better at everything else, then I don't think the run defense will be our downfall come playoff time. The Chiefs had trouble stopping the Patriots from running the ball in the AFC Title game, but we all know that's not what cost them the game. It was terrible 3rd and long defense, Dee Ford being a fucking moron, and the refs making some rather 'questionable' judgements on calls. Run defense is about 4th or 5th on the list of what hurt them in that game and it will be no different this year come playoff team if teams are pounding the rock on us. Do what we do or 'just be ourselves', as Patrick says, and it won't matter whether the run defense shows up or not.

WhiteWhale
10-02-2019, 10:34 AM
No. Mahomes just went an unusual 0-9 on downfield passes. Team had 3 lost fumbles. Still scored 27 offensive points.

BlackOp
10-02-2019, 10:34 AM
Simms pointed out that Detroit...much like NE in the AFCCG ran strictly man...jamming them at the line with a single high safety playing 20 yards back.

He questioned why they didnt run more short "rub" routes...(naturally occurring pick plays)...and play the YAC game. With a safety that far back...it would seem like an obvious adjustment. Force him to come closer to the line..

Detroit's gameplan worked...there weren't any long bombs and Chiefs had to operate inside the redzone more than any other game so far. Mahomes likes him some deep shots...granted his touch was off....but he was "off" against the Patriots too for a half.

mlyonsd
10-02-2019, 10:35 AM
No. Mahomes just went an unusual 0-9 on downfield passes. Had 3 lost fumbles. Still scored 27 offensive points.

^. Mahommie had an off day.

Frosty
10-02-2019, 10:45 AM
I know, man. We couldn't even run that 2 minute offense to beat Detroit..........oh, wait..... :spock:

Not to mention the drive at the end of the first half for a tying FG.

MahomesMagic
10-02-2019, 10:46 AM
Simms pointed out that Detroit...much like NE in the AFCCG ran strictly man...jamming them at the line with a single high safety playing 20 yards back.

He questioned why they didnt run more short "rub" routes...(naturally occurring pick plays)...and play the YAC game. With a safety that far back...it would seem like an obvious adjustment. Force him to come closer to the line..

Detroit's gameplan worked...there weren't any long bombs and Chiefs had to operate inside the redzone more than any other game so far. Mahomes likes him some deep shots...granted his touch was off....but he was "off" against the Patriots too for a half.

Lions play the same defensive coverage NE does. Apex is man that passes guys off to someone else. That stops the normal weakness in regular man coverage.

The best way to beat what NE does is to have great athletes and run as fast as you can down the field turning it into basic man coverage again. If you don't hit deep shots against it you will struggle to pass (like most teams do against NE).

rabblerouser
10-02-2019, 11:08 AM
I saw Simms talking about KC repeating plays against the Lions...did Reid deliberately keep things "close to the vest".

He knew Patrica was going to duplicate what NE did in the AFCCG...and definitely was in BB's ear last week.

If this is the case..props to Reid and his long game strategy. KC should consider doing the same in NE...all that matters is the play-offs.

Yeah, he wasn't trying to put anything on tape.

There was very little motion or shifting pre-snap, very little misdirection and slight of hand...very basic, straightforward, vanilla-type plays for a Reid offense...the hook-and-ladder from Kelce to Shady was a spur of the moment thing.

Much props.

TribalElder
10-02-2019, 11:09 AM
I felt like they likley held back from carving up that defense. I bet they acted like it continued to work so that the Patriots would use it in their game plan possibly

RaidersOftheCellar
10-02-2019, 11:21 AM
I felt like they likley held back from carving up that defense. I bet they acted like it continued to work so that the Patriots would use it in their game plan possibly

Reid’s got Belicheat right where he wants him....

RunKC
10-02-2019, 11:28 AM
There probably an entire section of the playbook strictly for the Patriots in the playoffs.

Andy won’t show Bill anything until it’s time

BlackOp
10-02-2019, 11:40 AM
There probably an entire section of the playbook strictly for the Patriots in the playoffs.

Andy won’t show Bill anything until it’s time

I hope this is true...because playing BB twice isn't desirable. I dont care about the regular season game...Chiefs seem to usually play better away from Arrowhead. They averaged almost 3 points a game more last year...

neech
10-02-2019, 11:40 AM
Its not like Reid doesn't have a very big play book he has tons of plays. i thought the Chiefs were too conservative. We barely scraped up that win holding the cards too close we needed the victory we don't want to play at Gillette stadium twice.

More screens needed in that game mixed with hook and slant routes. An occasional dump off to the RB's.

BossChief
10-02-2019, 12:01 PM

Imo he bottles up the offense and tries to save the secret sauce for the playoffs once it’s evident his team will make the playoffs.

Aspengc8
10-02-2019, 02:56 PM
Mahomes just missed more throws than usual. They ran the same concepts they normally run.

UK_Chief
10-02-2019, 03:03 PM
I don’t know why we don’t run screens in games like that

King_Chief_Fan
10-02-2019, 05:42 PM

Nope

rabblerouser
10-02-2019, 05:53 PM
Mahomes just missed more throws than usual. They ran the same concepts they normally run.

Right, but none of it was designed to take advantage of personell, not much shifting, very little pre-snap motion, not much misdirection...it was extremely vanilla for Reid.

Bob Dole
10-02-2019, 06:09 PM
I don't think we ran a single jet sweep against the Ravens. Andy is definitely saving bullets.

T-post Tom
10-02-2019, 06:11 PM
Will be interesting to see what the offense shows once the playoffs start. I imagine Andy will have a subset of new plays up his sleeve. Hoping that Spags has continued success against the Pats in the postseason. The Pats' defense looks pretty stout right now.

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-02-2019, 06:24 PM
NE can play that safety over the top if they want but he can't be on both sides of the field if we run Hardeman down one side and Hill down the other.

BlackOp
10-02-2019, 06:34 PM
Hoping that Spags has continued success against the Pats in the postseason. The Pats' defense looks pretty stout right now.

NE hasn't faced a QB ranked in the top 25...Roethlisberger was obviously hurt. Jets had their 3rd string QB and the Dolphins arent even starting Fitz anymore.

Besides the Bills...their opponents have won one game combined...and that was the 0-3 Steelers beating the 0-3 Bengals on MNF. 1-11 record...4-12 if you count the Bills.

Brady just had his worst game in 13 years...150 yards. I dont think this years version of the Patriots is nearly as good as last years.

BigRedChief
10-02-2019, 06:41 PM
I was bitching about all the running plays watching the game live.

rabblerouser
10-02-2019, 06:43 PM
NE hasn't faced a QB ranked in the top 25...Roethlisberger was obviously hurt. Jets had their 3rd string QB and the Dolphins arent even starting Fitz anymore.

Besides the Bills...their opponents have won one game combined...and that was the 0-3 Steelers beating the 0-3 Bengals on MNF. 1-11 record...4-12 if you count the Bills.
Brady just had his worst game in 13 years...I dont think this years version of the Patriots is nearly as good as last years.
Plus they dirty shotted Allen and knocked him out of the game. They were one Allen-to-Brown pass away from losing that Bills game.

And if they hadn't have blocked that punt, they would have lost 10-9.

comochiefsfan
10-02-2019, 07:23 PM
Nope.

Patricia and Detroit simply had a good gameplan. It happens. They caught us off guard and we still managed to end the game with 34 points.

Reid and Mahomes will adjust and we won't have a problem with the kinds of looks Detroit threw at us again.

jjchieffan
10-02-2019, 08:35 PM
Nope.

Patricia and Detroit simply had a good gameplan. It happens. They caught us off guard and we still managed to end the game with 34 points.

Reid and Mahomes will adjust and we won't have a problem with the kinds of looks Detroit threw at us again.

I agree. I think that the Detroit game gave Reid and Mahomes an opportunity to get some extra preparation for BB.

bringbackmarty
10-02-2019, 09:00 PM
This is probably a bit too homeristic of a take but my best guess is I think it's a bit of both. While the offense isn't exactly struggling, it's not 100 percent healthy with the injuries, especially missing our slightly above average left tackle, starting rb and #1 receiver. Rather than overreact and get too deep in the playbook, Reid is taking what the opponent is giving him, and calling plays he thinks the players on the field can execute. It's like the team has a mild case of the flu, no reason to empty the playbook since the seasons not anywhere close to being on the line.

bringbackmarty
10-02-2019, 09:01 PM
We would have scored 50 or more in all of our games this year without the injuries.

Why Not?
10-02-2019, 09:54 PM
Do I think AR and the Chiefs have some plays specifically being saved for the Pats? Hell, they’d better. But I don’t know about an NFL coach playing it safe during week 4 of the regular season? Long way to go to clinch anything. Coaches and players cannot think like media and fans. I’m guessing most coaches look at 4-0(or 3-0 if you want to consider AR thought on this after the Ravens game)as nothing more than assurance they will be no worse than 4-12

Megatron96
10-02-2019, 10:02 PM
I don't know if you can "play it safe" in the NFL for a whole game.

But I'd bet that Andy schemed his plays to protect Cam and the running game.

T-post Tom
10-02-2019, 10:16 PM

Brady just had his worst game in 13 years...150 yards. I dont think this years version of the Patriots is nearly as good as last years.

Appreciate your enthusiasm, but I'm not going to undersell the Patriots' defense. I've watched them play this year and they passed the eye test. I can envision a repeat of last year's AFC Championship game. If so, it could come down to key players' availability and injuries. Regardless, "Go Chiefs." :thumb:

Chargem
10-03-2019, 12:22 AM
I think the game just showed if someone is going to play heavy man, that is where we are going to miss Hill, and also Damien Williams who is probably also a bigger man mismatch than Shady.

They put up 27 points and were a bit off, but man is where you see Robinson and Hardman aren't yet they receivers Hill/Watkins are.

BlackOp
10-03-2019, 12:27 AM
I think the game just showed if someone is going to play heavy man, that is where we are going to miss Hill, and also Damien Williams who is probably also a bigger man mismatch than Shady.

They put up 27 points and were a bit off, but man is where you see Robinson and Hardman aren't yet they receivers Hill/Watkins are.

Hardman was drafted solely to combat that strategy against NE...we haven't seen that in action yet. If they want to play single high safety...he's going to have to bracket a side...which will be Hill.

Rausch
10-03-2019, 12:30 AM
Appreciate your enthusiasm, but I'm not going to undersell the Patriots' defense. I've watched them play this year and they passed the eye test. I can envision a repeat of last year's AFC Championship game. If so, it could come down to key players' availability and injuries. Regardless, "Go Chiefs." :thumb:

The Pats defense is better than last year.

The question is: is OUR defense better than last year?...

BlackOp
10-03-2019, 12:36 AM
The Pats defense is better than last year.

The question is: is OUR defense better than last year?...

I'll wait until more data is out to say they are better....playing dreg franchises and injured QBs inst an accurate way to assess if they are better.

Their offense is most definitely worse...they lost Gronk, LT/center, fullback and kicker. Gordon looks tired and slow. Their FB was instrumental in their run game success...

They targeted AB because they know they need help....and it blew up in their cheating-ass faces.

InChiefsHeaven
10-03-2019, 06:29 AM
I don't know if you can "play it safe" in the NFL for a whole game.

But I'd bet that Andy schemed his plays to protect Cam and the running game.

Cam?

Hammock Parties
10-03-2019, 06:36 AM
I'll wait until more data is out to say they are better....playing dreg franchises and injured QBs inst an accurate way to assess if they are better.

Their offense is most definitely worse...they lost Gronk, LT/center, fullback and kicker. Gordon looks tired and slow. Their FB was instrumental in their run game success...

They targeted AB because they know they need help....and it blew up in their cheating-ass faces.

Forgot about their center.

They are down:

Brady's calf
LT
RT
C
FB
TE
K

That offense is a WR injury away from imploding.

Coochie liquor
10-03-2019, 09:39 AM
Cam?

Erving?

Beef Supreme
10-03-2019, 10:20 AM
I'm not sure how "off" our offense was Sunday. Sure there were a few missed throws, but if we didn't fumble so much, I'm betting we aren't having this conversation.

TomBarndtsTwin
10-03-2019, 10:25 AM
I'm not sure how "off" our offense was Sunday. Sure there were a few missed throws, but if we didn't fumble so much, I'm betting we aren't having this conversation.

This.

Should have been a 41-20 game, but ended up 34-30 due to turnovers on our side of the field, which set Detroit's offense up for easy scores.

Stupid mistakes cost us. You expect maybe one of those on the road in a bad field position scenario, but not 3.

Chargem
10-03-2019, 12:32 PM
My biggest concern about Reid is he didn't appear to know Mozart is a composer, not a painter?

Megatron96
10-03-2019, 12:44 PM
Cam?

Cam Erving.

And it's just a guess; while I've watched the Baltimore game four times now and the Lions game twice, I wasn't looking at the offensive line specifically in any of those reviews. I was looking at the defense mostly.

But Andy knows that Cam isn't a left tackle, and trying to make him into Fisher in a couple weeks doesn't make any sense. It would make sense that Andy would scheme/call plays that didn't expose Erving's weaknesses as a LT.

One thing I noticed a couple times is that Mahomes wasn't dropping straight back on some passing plays. He was dropping back and to his right. Like a mini-hook/boot to the right. This flattened the angle of attack by the DE significantly.

But again, I haven't been looking at the offensive line really, so I can't say anything for certain about it.

But Andy Reid is a details guy, and at heart he's an offensive lineman. He's gotta have dozens of little tricks to hide Cam's short-comings as a LT.

BlackOp
10-03-2019, 01:40 PM
My biggest concern about Reid is he didn't appear to know Mozart is a composer, not a painter?

I think it was a joke...at least I hope it was.

Megatron96
10-03-2019, 01:48 PM
I think he was just really excited and dropped the wrong person's name.

JakeF
10-03-2019, 05:11 PM
Now suddenly Reid is so good that he can 'shave points' while still winning? smh

wheeler08
10-07-2019, 09:29 AM
You dumbasses still think Reid is calling it close to the vest to fool the Patriots??