PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs LNBS: Just got home. Here are some observations.

BossChief
10-07-2019, 11:51 PM
1) Brendan Daly needs to be getting killed on here and is getting a free pass. He’s the “run d coordinator” and seems like he may be a Trojan horse from NE thus far.

2) Mecole Hardman needs to learn what do do once he runs his route and doesn’t initially get open. He quit on 2-3 plays whenPat was trying to buy him time to get open. Pat has said multiple times in regards to Hardman “he needs to keep running” and today, that alone might have cost us the game. Watching the game live at the stadium from the “madden view seats” shows this over and over. I yelled at him at least 3 times during the game and Pat wasn’t happy that Mecole doesn’t stay with the play. It gotPat sacked and hit every time he did it.

3) We’re about to find out what Khalen Saunders is made of. He was a good run defender in college and is going to get his chance at showing he can do it in the nfl. This will be his first week preparing as a starter at the NFL level and sometimes that brings out the best in guys like him. He was a mixed bag out there Sunday night. He had some good plays and some that made him look like the stage was too big. He will be targeted against Houston, so he better bring his best game.

4) Thornhill is coming along nicely. He made a couple mental errors out there, but overall was doing his job and didn’t let anything get exploited over his head. You can tell it’s slowing downs but for him. Watson is sure to go after him with the long ball and those WRs and it will be interesting to see how the kid performs against top competition after he’s gotten some experience.

5) Frank Clark is performing like a barely above average end. At best. I’m still not a fan of that trade and would have preferred Jadaveon Clowney at the much lower price, but what’s done is done. Clark looks like a guy that should be getting 4-5m per year. Not 20. He’s sealing the edge, but not even sniffing the opposing QB.

6) Badger is playing well. Got a nice takeaway and had solid coverage most of the game. He and Thornhill forced Indy to kill us by 1000 cuts because the big chunk plays weren’t there.

7) Neimann is an upgrade over Hitchens, imo. I know that sound ms crazy, but it’s true. He plays faster, more physical and smarter. As soon as Hitchens went out Neimann was making the most of his opportunity. It’s still early in his career, but the kid plays sound fundamental football and is coachable.

8) We really miss Fisher. I know he takes a lot of heat around here, but the guy is a top 10 LT and is greatly missed on the OL. We can’t effectively run the screens and other types of plays without his athleticism at the position allowing him to work in space and get in front of screens and perimeter runs. We need him back ASAP.

9) They came out with a game plan to get Pringle involved in the offense and he showed some value out there that should pay dividends as the season progresses. He showed wheels, good routes and decent hands. He’s taking to coaching and becoming a weapon.

10) What on earth does Toub see in DAT as a punt returner? The guy is horrible at it and has cost us at least 60 yards infield position this year. Horrible decision maker. He brings no value to the team whatsoever and should be cut immediately.

11) I really wish a reporter would directly ask Spags why Lee doesn’t play more. I didn’t exactly focus on him every time he was out there, but I did watch him a few times and he seems deserving of more opportunities. He’s fast and seemed to play soundly.

12) I said before the year that I felt the players would take half the year to learn Spags scheme well enough to effectively execute it and I’m sticking to that, but it’s rough out there at times. No way around it. They play soft. House, Daly, Madison and Merritt need to get this shit figured out soon.

13) it’s pretty astounding how well Mahomes did out there, considering the circumstances he was playing with. Give us back Fisher, Watkins and Hill and we probably kill Indy by multiple scores....but credit to them. They beat us at home with them missing some big pieces, too.

14) If we can’t get the DTs to do their job, this defense will lose us games in the regular season that will cost us a bye and put us ina bad spot in NE. These ends are sealing the edge and forcing the runback inside, but the DTs and LBs aren’t finishing. It’s a shame because the ends are constantly forcing the run inside.

Simply Red
10-07-2019, 11:53 PM
I can't find much to disagree with.

T-post Tom
10-08-2019, 12:21 AM
I can't find much to disagree with.

Agree

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
10-08-2019, 12:28 AM
I agree on Niemann. Dude should be starting

Direckshun
10-08-2019, 12:40 AM
There was some thread started asking Planeteers for their predictions for the game.

I said the Chiefs will win because of Mahomes, but that it's starting to seem more and more like the rest of the team is holding him back. It got downvoted until my post disappeared, despite the fact it's 100% true and this game (kind of) proved it.

I say kind of because what really decimated us was injury, as you said. Chiefs are the better team, but they were starting a 3rd string DT against Quentin Nelson by the end of the game. What can you do.

That being said, championship teams like the Packers, Patriots, and perhaps even the Texans can win multiple ways. They can run the ball. They can pass the ball. They can harass quarterbacks. They have a defense that can shut down offenses sometimes.

The Chiefs can pass the ball, and that's it. That's the #1 reason why we might struggle to reach our final destination this year, which is the Super Bowl. If our passing game takes a hit by missing Hill, or Kelce, or Fisher, or hobbling Mahomes, we have no other tools in our tool belt to win with.

scho63
10-08-2019, 03:32 AM
You bring up a lot of good points BossChief. :clap:

Tackling has regressed every week. Not sure why.

I'm 56, slow as a sloth, not too shifty yet I could have gained 3.5-4 yards a carry on Sunday night. The holes and lack of filling the gaps were scary.

Not sure how they turn it around in a week but I'm praying for a miracle.

Mecca
10-08-2019, 04:57 AM
Just like a typical NE coach Brendan Daly leaves NE and looks like he doesn't know what he's doing.

493rd
10-08-2019, 05:12 AM
As a new poster on this site, I value reading this kinda stuff. Thanks for posting!

Coogs
10-08-2019, 05:25 AM
Did you have to walk home?

lewdog
10-08-2019, 05:31 AM
An actual honest post from one of CP’s biggest homers.

Thank you.

scho63
10-08-2019, 05:53 AM
An actual honest post from one of CP’s biggest homers.

Thank you.

What the hell you doing up at this hour? Breastfeeding the kid again? Prostrate acting up? :evil:

srvy
10-08-2019, 06:12 AM
Bosschief I do like reading your posts but you were one of the biggest supporters for House and Daly. I agree with most of your OP except Honey Badger he hasnt been good. Yeah he got a tackle in the backfield and a pick but for the most part so far he has looked like a chicken with his head chopped off.

I have posted about Daly and how the line looks worse than last year and am am always suspicious of bills coaching tree hires. Bill is a hands on guy responsible for everything that NE D does on the field. His assistants are there to do the mundane work. I hope it gets better for the Chiefs but so far I am disappointed.

TEX
10-08-2019, 06:30 AM
There was some thread started asking Planeteers for their predictions for the game.

I said the Chiefs will win because of Mahomes, but that it's starting to seem more and more like the rest of the team is holding him back. It got downvoted until my post disappeared, despite the fact it's 100% true and this game (kind of) proved it.

I say kind of because what really decimated us was injury, as you said. Chiefs are the better team, but they were starting a 3rd string DT against Quentin Nelson by the end of the game. What can you do.

That being said, championship teams like the Packers, Patriots, and perhaps even the Texans can win multiple ways. They can run the ball. They can pass the ball. They can harass quarterbacks. They have a defense that can shut down offenses sometimes.

The Chiefs can pass the ball, and that's it. That's the #1 reason why we might struggle to reach our final destination this year, which is the Super Bowl. If our passing game takes a hit by missing Hill, or Kelce, or Fisher, or hobbling Mahomes, we have no other tools in our tool belt to win with.

No defense and no run game spells disaster for any team. If something doesn't improve, KC does not get as far as they did last season.

BigRedChief
10-08-2019, 06:45 AM
I can't find much to disagree with.I disagree we will lose the division.

With NE's soft schedule, we were going to have to go through NE to get to the SB anyway. They came to our house and beat us to get to the SB. We will have to do the same if we want to knock the big dog off.

ghak99
10-08-2019, 08:26 AM
10) What on earth does Toub see in DAT as a punt returner? The guy is horrible at it and has cost us at least 60 yards infield position this year. Horrible decision maker. He brings no value to the team whatsoever and should be cut immediately.

I can't believe they cut Allen while keeping this mental midget.

Motherfucker has to be dumber than a box of rocks and whoever made the decision needs kicked in the nuts.

oldman
10-08-2019, 08:37 AM
Your post is spot on, Boss. I'll just highlight a couple things you said.

Hardman has to stop giving up on plays. He's gotten away with pure speed for a long time, but if he wants to stick around, he and the WR coach better get their stuff together and teach him how to get open when the play breaks down.

I haven't been wild about Clark, either. Not what I expected for $20M per. He is an upgrade on sealing the edge, but I'd sure like to see more sacks. Again, $20M.

I'm also a fan of #56. He may not be the total answer, but he's not afraid to stick his head in there. Give him some more playing time and we may look at moving away from Hitchens.

Bottom line is the D has got to improve, especially against the run, over the next 4 games or I'm going to be calling for Spags and about all of his staff to be on the next Greyhound out of town. Half a year is plenty of time for guys who have been playing since grade school to "learn" a defense. Hit the runner, lay him down. It's not rocket science.

BossChief
10-08-2019, 08:46 AM
Did you have to walk home?

Haha nah. Stayed overnight and went to Q39 for lunch and did some shopping before driving back.

The Franchise
10-08-2019, 08:46 AM
DAT is literally worthless. Has Mahomes even targeted him since he’s been back?

The Franchise
10-08-2019, 08:49 AM
And I would so sign a guy like Pennel who’s a FA right now to fill in at DT.

oldman
10-08-2019, 08:52 AM
DAT is literally worthless. Has Mahomes even targeted him since he’s been back?

I'm not sure if he's even been in for an offensive snap. If he has, I missed it.

RedRaider56
10-08-2019, 08:56 AM
I'm not sure if he's even been in for an offensive snap. If he has, I missed it.

He had one catch for 6 yards in the 1st game and 12 snaps on offense . That is it.

BossChief
10-08-2019, 09:15 AM
And I would so sign a guy like Pennel who’s a FA right now to fill in at DT.

Sounds good to me

BleedingRed
10-08-2019, 09:21 AM

14) If we can’t get the DTs to do their job, this defense will lose us games in the regular season that will cost us a bye and put us ina bad spot in NE. These ends are sealing the edge and forcing the runback inside, but the DTs and LBs aren’t finishing. It’s a shame because the ends are constantly forcing the run inside.

This one is 100% correct. I agree with all the others, but this right here is the #1 problem with this defense.

DT's are not filling their gaps, and Line Backing unit is hitting the wrong holes.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
10-08-2019, 09:25 AM
This one is 100% correct. I agree with all the others, but this right here is the #1 problem with this defense.

DT's are not filling their gaps, and Line Backing unit is hitting the wrong holes.

I saw so many times Hitchens would go after the wrong hole and it would be an 8 yard gain. Meanwhile Niemann is hitting the right holes and knows where he’s going, he just gets overpowered sometimes and that’s expected

BleedingRed
10-08-2019, 09:33 AM
I saw so many times Hitchens would go after the wrong hole and it would be an 8 yard gain. Meanwhile Niemann is hitting the right holes and knows where he’s going, he just gets overpowered sometimes and that’s expected

We really do need a 6'3 250 MLB. I was half joking when I said we should give Ralondo McLain a call.

chiefzilla1501
10-08-2019, 09:33 AM
When tyreek gets back, Hardman needs to be moved to DATs role. He is too inexperienced to be a consistent receiving threat. Id rather he be a sprint option and gadget player until he figures his shit out. He also can't be worse than DAT on PR.

chiefzilla1501
10-08-2019, 09:34 AM
We really do need a 6'3 250 MLB. I was half joking when I said we should give Ralondo McLain a call.

Brandon Marshall is available

BleedingRed
10-08-2019, 09:36 AM
Brandon Marshall is available

He needs to be brought in asap.

Mecca
10-08-2019, 09:54 AM

That's not a solution because they'll just attack him passing.

Basically what you need today in todays game is go with a huge line. Play Jones at end get another huge DT so the front 4 can play the run and let the LB's run freely.

SupDock
10-08-2019, 09:57 AM
Pringle needs to pay attention to where the 1st down marker is

lcarus
10-08-2019, 10:07 AM
1) Brendan Daly needs to be getting killed on here and is getting a free pass. He’s the “run d coordinator” and seems like he may be a Trojan horse from NE thus far.

At this point I just assume that about everyone from that franchise.

arrwheader
10-08-2019, 10:40 AM
I am still noticing Defense not shooting gaps, still look to be reacting not attacking. A lot of waiting for the guy to get to them.

This I don't understand because I thought that was a Sutton thing. Also attitude thing with old players.

Rain Man
10-08-2019, 11:36 AM
I hate to ask this, but how smart is Mecole? It seems like he and Patrick have had some trouble syncing up, and I would guess that Patrick knows where everyone should be. If that's the case, then Mecole does not know where to be on routes. Maybe it's something else like non-crisp route running, but I just keep seeing things that make me wonder.

I hadn't thought about this before, but when you have a quarterback like Patrick Mahomes II who can pick a fly off a fence post from fifty yards away, it's really important to have receivers who are perfect route runners.

MahiMike
10-08-2019, 04:43 PM
I agree with everything here.

15. If Williams doesn't short arm that TD pass on the first drive, it's a different ballgame. McCoy catches that ball.

The Franchise
10-08-2019, 04:45 PM
Damien Williams can be cut IMO.

McCoy, Darrell Williams and Thompson are just fine.

At some point...having too many RBs just complicates things.

Megatron96
10-08-2019, 04:53 PM
Great OP. Agree with just about everything said there.

Couple points;

It's Mecole's rookie season. And all indications were that Mecole is a very intelligent football player. But this is a complicated offense, and there are a lot of plays to learn. He's gotta learn to walk before he can run.

Let's remember that Tyreek wasn't very polished as a receiver when he was a rookie. In fact, I'd argue he wasn't a real WR until last year. And he still has a lot of work to do to become an elite receiver three years later.

I keep wondering if we got a Clay Matthews type middle LB if he could hide most of our DL's flaws against the run. Sometimes a really good LB can make up for mistakes that the DL makes, and sometimes a solid DL can make up for a bad LB corps, at least to a certain extent.

Just a thought.

BossChief
10-08-2019, 05:09 PM
Tyreek was killing folks as a rookie in TC. Hardman is good in most facets of the game. He just needs to keep running to give Mahomes options after his called route hasn’t gotten him open. On one play, Mahomes was scrambling to buy time and Mecole literally ran his route then just stood there. Mahomes pointed where he needed to run to get open and Mecole still just stood there while Mahomes took the sack.

I was livid because if he just turned and ran Mahomes hits him for an easy score.

Megatron96
10-08-2019, 05:21 PM
Tyreek was killing folks as a rookie in TC. Hardman is good in most facets of the game. He just needs to keep running to give Mahomes options after his called route hasn’t gotten him open. On one play, Mahomes was scrambling to buy time and Mecole literally ran his route then just stood there. Mahomes pointed where he needed to run to get open and Mecole still just stood there while Mahomes took the sack.

I was livid because if he just turned and ran Mahomes hits him for an easy score.

Agree with all of that. Just saying that it's his rookie season, and he's played exactly five games. Tyreek wasn't a world beater five games into his rookie season.

I get that we need him to perform at a high level. And it would be great if he'd be the guy we want him to be right now. But realistically, I think we could give him until at least the half-way point before bashing him for not playing up to the level we want him to.

J Diddy
10-08-2019, 05:33 PM
I agree with neimann over hitch. Seems he’s just got a nose for the ball. IMO Wilson is better at goal line and that’s it. Lee should be playing I’m not near as upset about Clark as most here. I think he could pan out still.

I also feel that our 2nd team d line was overworked but outperformed our starters

J Diddy
10-08-2019, 05:35 PM
I also disagree with the dat view. He made several tough catches on pr that he got beaned on that saved us many yards but held on.

rtmike
10-08-2019, 05:56 PM
Honey Badger was average last year. It was a weak Safety FA class.
Average is an improvement for this team though.

Then NE loses coaches that felt dissed last year and this year NE has what some say is BBs best defense, lol.

I like what previous poster said, Trojan horse, lol.

wheeler08
10-08-2019, 06:18 PM
I’ve been a fan of Nieman since last preseason.

Cheater5
10-08-2019, 06:42 PM
Hmm. I guess there’s always that one guy....

Right now, Nieman seems undersized and appeared to get completely washed out on run plays. I can think of two in particular that he looked like he was on roller skates; he didn’t fill the hole and tried to sidestep blockers who just took him for a ride. Lastly, he just doesn’t pass the eyeball test to me. There are WRs with thicker arms— the guy needs to hit the weight room this offseason.

I like him in coverage and think he’s an intelligent player, but I don’t think he can stack up physical at the POA. Just my two cents.

lewdog
10-08-2019, 07:51 PM
What the hell you doing up at this hour? Breastfeeding the kid again? Prostrate acting up? :evil:

I get up at 4 a few times a week to hit the gym before work.

Gotta grind man.