PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs What would Pat be like with a GOOD defense?

UChieffyBugger
10-08-2019, 08:00 AM
From his Texas Tech days to his first two years starting In the NFL, he's never had a good defense. And the question I ask myself is will he ever have one with this head coach and GM at the helm? A head coach who is obviously focused solely on offense and a GM who doesn't have a long history of drafting great defensive talent??? I'm really intrigued to see how Pat would play without the added pressure of having to put up so many points every week. I've seen average to poor play by Jimmy G, Bridgewater, Brady, Dak etc only to be bailed out by their defenses. I pray one day Pat has this luxury too.

In58men
10-08-2019, 08:03 AM
He would be less tired I would think.

Mecca
10-08-2019, 08:03 AM
Well does it mean the offense would like it it does right now with all the injuries cause if so that'd suck...

UChieffyBugger
10-08-2019, 08:05 AM
He would be less tired I would think.

He plays with a fearless abandon already, but with a good defense I'd imagine he would try all sorts of crazy things on the field :evil: .

Yehoodi
10-08-2019, 08:10 AM
This is always a tough question and one needs to look at the entire team.

Sure KC would be great if they had great players on D that where cheap (like ones on rookies contracts like the Seahawks circa 2012-2016).

In the end though if one puts money on defense, then on offense you do not have all of the toys, and perhaps the offense would look like it did on Sunday, a great QB, one or two, at most, #1 play makers at the skilled position.

Would be a interesting dynamic. One wonders if KC will go in that direction or go in the direction of the 2000s colts.

UChieffyBugger
10-08-2019, 08:19 AM

Sure KC would be great if they had great players on D that where cheap (like ones on rookies contracts like the Seahawks circa 2012-2016).

In the end though if one puts money on defense, then on offense you do not have all of the toys, and perhaps the offense would look like it did on Sunday, a great QB, one or two, at most, #1 play makers at the skilled position.

Would be a interesting dynamic. One wonders if KC will go in that direction or go in the direction of the 2000s colts.

GREAT post!!..and your last statement was a question I asked on a different thread yesterday but certain posters got their panties in a twist. IF Pat can elevate cheap offensive talent then it would allow the club to put most of the money on the defensive side of the ball!!..and imo if we fail to at least make the SB this year then it's something they should consider.

oldman
10-08-2019, 08:49 AM
I think a better question would be, what would PMII be like with a GOOD LT and LG. When Fisher comes back, I hope half of that question will be answered. The jury is still out on Wylie, but I believe Hunter's performance speaks for itself.

UChieffyBugger
10-08-2019, 08:52 AM
I think a better question would be, what would PMII be like with a GOOD LT and LG. When Fisher comes back, I hope half of that question will be answered. The jury is still out on Wylie, but I believe Hunter's performance speaks for itself.

Too many people are obsessed with the O-line as if it's been bad all year!!...it hasn't imo. Early in some games he's been sacked and then the O-line has bit down and protected him. Against Oakland he had all day to throw them bombs!!..against the Ravens he had all day to carve up that D etc etc. We need a better defense!!..the line when healthy is Ok imo.

smithandrew051
10-08-2019, 09:21 AM
What about trading for Trent Williams and moving Fisher to LG for the remainder of the season?

Then we trade Jones and Fisher in the offseason for picks.

In the draft/FA, go heavy defense and OL.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
10-08-2019, 09:23 AM
Quit fucking saying move Fisher to LG!!!!

OrtonsPiercedTaint
10-08-2019, 09:39 AM
Real life is adversity

Kman34
10-08-2019, 09:52 AM
What about trading for Trent Williams and moving Fisher to LG for the remainder of the season?

Then we trade Jones and Fisher in the offseason for picks.

In the draft/FA, go heavy defense and OL.

I like this except for the trading of Fisher... keep that left side strong for Mahomes..

RaidersOftheCellar
10-08-2019, 09:55 AM

I say lock up Hill and Kelce throughout their prime, but other than that, the focus should be on building a solid line and boosting the defense.

Can you imagine a team with Mahomes that consistently won the battle in the trenches on each side of the ball, rather than the opposite? We would flat out overwhelm teams. Andy is great at masking flaws, but I don’t like having to rely on cleverness and trickery. Things can too easily go awry.

Mecca
10-08-2019, 09:56 AM
The Redskins are not trading Trent Williams, they are spiteful.

Apparently the 49ers were willing to give up one of their 1's for Cousins after hiring Shanahan and the Redskins didn't even call because they didn't want Cousins going somewhere he could be successful it was about spite.

Yehoodi
10-08-2019, 10:03 AM
GREAT post!!..and your last statement was a question I asked on a different thread yesterday but certain posters got their panties in a twist. IF Pat can elevate cheap offensive talent then it would allow the club to put most of the money on the defensive side of the ball!!..and imo if we fail to at least make the SB this year then it's something they should consider.

Agreed. For me, with the kind of talent Mahomes has displayed, I would lean towards the team plan to focus on the defense and lets see what he can do on offense with what we can afford to give him.

Yehoodi
10-08-2019, 10:06 AM
I say lock up Hill and Kelce throughout their prime, but other than that, the focus should be on building a solid line and boosting the defense.

Can you imagine a team with Mahomes that consistently won the battle in the trenches on each side of the ball, rather than the opposite? We would flat out overwhelm teams. Andy is great at masking flaws, but I don’t like having to rely on cleverness and trickery. Things can too easily go awry.

I agree, i think you can afford to lock up Kelce and Hill and then have a bunch of role players to fill in the other areas and let Mahomes take care of things.

And focus energy on the defense.

I understand the desire of some teams to surround their best player with talent to fully use his potential, but i personally like the approach of letting him figure things out with a few player makers and add to other areas of the team.

Yes Mahomes and KC would be great if they had both sides of the ball strong.

UChieffyBugger
10-08-2019, 10:15 AM
Agreed. For me, with the kind of talent Mahomes has displayed, I would lean towards the team plan to focus on the defense and lets see what he can do on offense with what we can afford to give him.

It's just simple logic, right? I love this offensive show as much as anyone else, but if it doesn't lead us to a championship then it's time to try something else. It's just that simple. Right now the Pats have most of their money on their defense and Brady is working with average offensive talent but it's getting results.

loochy
10-08-2019, 10:37 AM
He'd still be walking around with a limp because a good D doesn't fix the excessively shitty o-line

rabblerouser
10-08-2019, 10:51 AM
The Redskins are not trading Trent Williams, they are spiteful.

Apparently the 49ers were willing to give up one of their 1's for Cousins after hiring Shanahan and the Redskins didn't even call because they didn't want Cousins going somewhere he could be successful it was about spite.
What a shitheap dumpster fire of an organization.

49ers won anyway by getting a better QB for a 2nd rounder...fuck the Deadskins in the face with a rock. They're getting what they deserve.

rabblerouser
10-08-2019, 10:52 AM
He'd still be walking around with a limp because a good D doesn't fix the excessively shitty o-line

Accurate.

BRG12720
10-08-2019, 10:52 AM
He would be amazing and win multiple championships

oldman
10-08-2019, 11:00 AM
I agree, i think you can afford to lock up Kelce and Hill and then have a bunch of role players to fill in the other areas and let Mahomes take care of things.

The key is keeping Mahomes upright and that's not going to happen unless you do something about the left side of the line. Getting Fisher back will help, but I'm just not sold on Wylie and I'm beginning to doubt Reiter.

Bump
10-08-2019, 01:14 PM
It would be EZ Superbowl win.

UK_Chief
10-08-2019, 02:59 PM
I’d like to see him with a good OL and a running game. Dude is running for his life

JakeF
10-08-2019, 05:05 PM
What would Mahomes be like with a good offensive line and good running game?

WhiteWhale
10-08-2019, 05:06 PM
Mahomes + Hill + all the rest of money on defense = Championship

Mahomes with Hill breaks down coverages so much it will make mediocre players look great, and the formula for championship success has ALWAYS been great QB + elite defense.

The QB will elevate the offense enough.

Deberg_1990
10-08-2019, 05:16 PM
Imagine Pat on the Patriots. Would be sick!

WhiteWhale
10-08-2019, 05:21 PM

Makes me want to vomit.

I'd rather imagine their defense playing for KC.

RaidersOftheCellar
10-08-2019, 05:23 PM

Yeah....had to laugh at the analysts who said they’d rather have Brady for one game.

The Patriots with Mahomes would be waaaay better than the Chiefs with Brady.

Megatron96
10-08-2019, 05:28 PM
Wow. There are people that really think the best thing to do is take away all but one of Mahomes' weapons, install a bunch of JAGs, and try to build a top-5 defensive unit? And that's the answer to winning the Super Bowl? In the next three weeks?

Has that EVER been done in the modern era? Even the Patriots have always had at least two Pro-Bowl caliber offensive weapons. Usually at least three. AND a top defense.

Whatever you're smoking, you should ease off that stuff for awhile.

kcclone
10-08-2019, 05:34 PM
Our organization should absolutely be focused on providing Mahomes a good defense and a deeper OL.

If your D can stop people it allows you to run the ball because you don’t have to score 35+ every game.

Protect your number one asset and he will win games when it counts.

If Pat was playing for Dallas, Seattle, Indy, Rams, Chicago, Philly, Minnesota, New England or
Baltimore he would win it all this year. As a Chief, it’s unlikely because he can’t control what our Sh*tty defense does.

JakeF
10-08-2019, 05:41 PM
It makes me feeling like vomiting to think about but it's true.

You put Mahomes on a team with Belicheck instead of Andy Reid and You have a dynasty stronger than the one with Brady. Belichek brings team discipline, superior game planning, and a tough defense. Mahomes would totally slay.

Andy Reid is a great offensive coordinator but that's where his talents end. He can't even get DAT to stop fielding kicks inside the 10. He can't get the entire team to stop with the stupid penalties. He doesn't even have enough discipline to stop shoveling food down his fat throat.

I know that KC loves Andy because he turned the Chiefs around but we should have moved on from Reid instead of firing Dorsey.

Dorsey & Pederson is a much better combination than Reid & Veach. Ballard & Pederson is better as well.

WhiteWhale
10-08-2019, 05:57 PM
Wow. There are people that really think the best thing to do is take away all but one of Mahomes' weapons, install a bunch of JAGs, and try to build a top-5 defensive unit? And that's the answer to winning the Super Bowl? In the next three weeks?

Has that EVER been done in the modern era? Even the Patriots have always had at least two Pro-Bowl caliber offensive weapons. Usually at least three. AND a top defense.

Whatever you're smoking, you should ease off that stuff for awhile.

Yes moron, in the next three weeks.

I wasn't speaking long term strategy for our 23 year old QB and the future of the chiefs or anything.

I was clearly saying release all of KC's offensive players now and then acquire all of those star defenders available right now. It's practically word-for-word what I said!

What a ****ing retarded response. You're either a liar or a complete ****ing clownshoe. I'm not sure I can think of a third option for THAT interpretation that you somehow ass-pulled.

Megatron96
10-08-2019, 06:14 PM

I wasn't speaking long term strategy for our 23 year old QB and the future of the chiefs or anything.

I was clearly saying release all of KC's offensive players now and then acquire all of those star defenders available right now. It's practically word-for-word what I said!

What a ****ing retarded response. You're either a liar or a complete ****ing clownshoe. I'm not sure I can think of a third option for THAT interpretation that you somehow ass-pulled.

Don't think I was responding to you. And not sure where I was lying either.

Megatron96
10-08-2019, 06:16 PM

Oh, I get it now. You think I was responding to your post no. 26.

Well, I wasn't.