PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Sick of** Blueprint to Beat Chiefs”

kczoo
10-12-2019, 06:05 PM
Effin lame..I mean seriously not as of yet but teams have beaten the Patriots. It wasn’t so easy to go back and watch film and then everyone in the world have the blueprint to beat them. 🤣🤣

New World Order
10-12-2019, 06:07 PM
Blueprint to beat KC:

-Have all of their starting WRs injured

-Have their left side of the line completely depleted

-Have a hurt Patrick Mahomes

-Have some injuries on defense

Buehler445
10-12-2019, 06:09 PM
Pretty much the blueprint is to hurt mahomes.

Mama Hip Rockets
10-12-2019, 06:10 PM
Who was the jackwagon that said the Lions developed the blueprint to beat KC after they lost to them?

Warrick
10-12-2019, 06:16 PM
Who was the jackwagon that said the Lions developed the blueprint to beat KC after they lost to them?

Baldy

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-12-2019, 06:44 PM
It was put out there on 810 Wednesday.

1) Injure Mahomes
2) Double the best WR
3) Hope Kelce has a bad day

poolboy
10-12-2019, 06:48 PM
We are gonna run it down their throats!
Lets turn the tables boys!

kcclone
10-12-2019, 06:48 PM
Until the Chiefs, Reid and Mahomes can beat the Patriots in the playoffs (or win the SB), there will be a lot of detractors that jump ship every time we lose.

It is what it is.

Baby Lee
10-12-2019, 06:58 PM
Until the Chiefs, Reid and Mahomes can beat the Patriots in the playoffs (or win the SB), there will be a lot of detractors that jump ship every time we lose.

It is what it is.

We think we're something revolutionary, and we have potential [and youth at key positions]. but as it stands right now we're about on par with the late 90s Vikings, if they had lost Robert Smith to scandal.

Clyde Frog
10-12-2019, 07:05 PM
We think we're something revolutionary, and we have potential [and youth at key positions]. but as it stands right now we're about on par with the late 90s Vikings, if they had lost Robert Smith to scandal.

Was he the boat guy or the Whizzinator guy?

kcclone
10-12-2019, 07:09 PM

Correct. With that said we have a brighter future, but there’s no guarantee we’ll be winning multiple Super Bowls unless we can figure out our defense

Wallcrawler
10-12-2019, 07:16 PM
Was he the boat guy or the Whizzinator guy?

Neither. White boy running back with all world talent put in the body of a china doll. Dude was ALWAYS hurt lol.

FloridaMan88
10-12-2019, 07:36 PM
The only team that has been able to successfully defend a healthy Chiefs offense are the Faketriots and they were only able to do it for a half.

chiefsfan15
10-12-2019, 08:22 PM
Blueprint to beat KC:

Not sure what injuries on offense have to do with anything.

You can run the ball right at the chiefs defense, when they know you’re going to run it, and they can’t stop you. You can control the ball, pile up all kinds of yards, and minimize the number of possessions the chiefs offense gets. All you have to do is execute the plan.

And if you do decide to throw, they can’t get pressure on you, especially without Jones, and they can’t cover the wideouts either. Breeland = Scandrick. Ward = Nelson. If any difference makers were added on D they seem to be in disguise. Last year over again.

lcarus
10-12-2019, 08:27 PM
I always have to remind people that the Patriots lost to the Dolphins last year which blew home field advantage for them essentially.

notorious
10-12-2019, 08:29 PM
Blueprint to beat KC:

Amen

chiefzilla1501
10-12-2019, 08:52 PM
I don't know why people are getting touchy about this. Does anyone feel good about how we looked and think health is the only fix?

Our OL needs to play more physical
Andy can't forget to run the ball
Our WRs, including Robinson and Hardman, could stand to learn how to beat the jam

It isn't a blueprint to beat us. But it is a blueprint to limit us just enough to lose games we shouldn't lose. I don't want our offense making injury excuses. There are plenty of things to work on if we want to beat new England.

KChiefs1
10-12-2019, 08:56 PM
Skip & Cowherd say so.

chiefzilla1501
10-12-2019, 08:59 PM
Right now the formula is to punch the Chiefs in the mouth. Cheap shots, late shoves, hit our WRs and kelce a couple of times. I expect Andy will make sure we get tougher by season end. But it is something we need to improve.

dlphg9
10-12-2019, 09:16 PM

You can run the ball right at the chiefs defense, when they know you’re going to run it, and they can’t stop you. You can control the ball, pile up all kinds of yards, and minimize the number of possessions the chiefs offense gets. All you have to do is execute the plan.

And if you do decide to throw, they can’t get pressure on you, especially without Jones, and they can’t cover the wideouts either. Breeland = Scandrick. Ward = Nelson. If any difference makers were added on D they seem to be in disguise. Last year over again.

You're not sure what injuries on offense have to do with stopping the Chiefs? Are you being serious? The reason we lost is not because of the defense. The Chiefs had 9 drives on offense, which is basically their average this year. Is it the Ds fault that the offense scored 13 points or do you think having a hobbled QB, a line that was missing 2 starters and couldn't stop the Colts from chasing around our injured Savior that had a hurt ankle, and our number 1 and 2 starting WR's out had more to do with it?

People tend to get offended by anyone saying anything negative about the offense and take it as an insult towards Mahomes, but that's not what I'm doing whatsoever (I'd let him have his way with me). If that fat worthless piece of literal shit wouldn't have stepped on Mahomes ankle, then we win that game. All the other injuries dont mean shit if Mahomes isn't stepped on. He's that good.

Chris Meck
10-12-2019, 09:25 PM

All of that is true, and YET:
If we can score when we have the ball, none of it would've mattered.

We can roll without Tyreek or Watkins; but both out and we're a lot easier to cover.
Fisher is a lot better than we give him credit for; that's because we spent half a decade watching Roaf, who was probably the greatest LT to ever play. Fisher's pretty good. Erving is a dumpster fire. It'd be better if he actually WAS a dumpster on fire; it'd take longer to get around him to the QB.

We have no LG to speak of. None. While we're dragging a dumpster over to fill the LT gap, might as well grab that trashcan over there, it'd slow down pass rushers more than anything we put in there last game.

Kelce also looked like...I don't know. Was he hung the fuck over or something? He dropped like 4 passes. Officially it's 3 I think, but there's another that I think he just whiffed.

yes, the blueprint is there and has been for a season and a half; problem is, nobody could stop our offense. Down almost 50% of our starting 11 and yeah, we didn't look so hot.

Rain Man
10-12-2019, 09:27 PM

Robert Smith was a hugely underrated running back. There are a few guys like him and James Brooks who were amazing running backs, but for some reason they never got much attention. I think Smith got less because he was in that Moss/Carter passing offense.

Oh, and I clicked on the thread to mention that I was in a restaurant earlier this week and they had TVs on the wall with no sound. The scene on NFL Network was some talking heads, and on the bottom of the screen it said, "Blueprint to beat the Chiefs". It made me laugh.

Bearcat
10-12-2019, 09:38 PM

We do? :shrug:

stevieray
10-12-2019, 09:48 PM
What, all the pundits think we were going to go undefeated? Especially after losing Hill in week one?

One loss and now it's all been a smokescreen?

If I'm Mahomes and Kelce, Ii'd be taking that crap personally and be doing something about it.

Tmrw's game will tell us who they are.

The put up another paltry 13 points and lose their second home game, it's not going to be pretty.

That said, I look for then to get after it.

dlphg9
10-12-2019, 09:59 PM
Another thing that sucks about Hill and Watkins bei g out is those 2 and Kelce are the only WRs that know all the plays. Multiple times Mahomes is throwing the ball to no one because the WR should have ran a different route. Its especially difficult for Mahomes since he's throwing the ball before these guys make a cut. The timing is off because the receivers don't know what route to run.

ThaVirus
10-12-2019, 10:21 PM
Neither. White boy running back with all world talent put in the body of a china doll. Dude was ALWAYS hurt lol.

Not that it matters but I don't think Robert Smith was a white boy

stevieray
10-12-2019, 10:30 PM
Not that it matters but I don't think Robert Smith was a white boy

IIRC, he blew his knee out @the Pro Bowl playing flag football in the sand or something stupid like that.

Mecca
10-12-2019, 10:33 PM
Ok guys geez, Robert Smith isn't white and was very injury prone. Robert Edwards from the Pats blew out his knee in the sand playing volleyball at the pro bowl. Onterrio Smith was the whizzinator guy.

Flying High D
10-12-2019, 10:57 PM
Mahomes is undefeated on Sunday afternoons, his only losses happen during prime time.

alanm
10-13-2019, 12:33 AM
Mahomes is undefeated on Sunday afternoons, his only losses happen during prime time.He beat the Bengals in prime time last year. :harumph:

MrCasual
10-13-2019, 06:05 AM
The ability to get pressure with 4 has been the blueprint to beating every team. Mahomes can make plays with his extraordinary talent but there is no way to sustain it when 4 men can break through an O-line. This is why the pats offense looks like hot turds right now (that and receiver injuries).

chiefsfan15
10-13-2019, 06:46 AM
You're not sure what injuries on offense have to do with stopping the Chiefs? Are you being serious? The reason we lost is not because of the defense. The Chiefs had 9 drives on offense, which is basically their average this year. Is it the Ds fault that the offense scored 13 points or do you think having a hobbled QB, a line that was missing 2 starters and couldn't stop the Colts from chasing around our injured Savior that had a hurt ankle, and our number 1 and 2 starting WR's out had more to do with it?

People tend to get offended by anyone saying anything negative about the offense and take it as an insult towards Mahomes, but that's not what I'm doing whatsoever (I'd let him have his way with me). If that fat worthless piece of literal shit wouldn't have stepped on Mahomes ankle, then we win that game. All the other injuries dont mean shit if Mahomes isn't stepped on. He's that good.

Even this post is last year all over again. The defense embarrasses themselves, usually can get off the field only when opposing offenses makes mistakes or stop themselves with a penalty, and people blame our offense.

If everyone were healthy and playing their best on offense we would be able to outscore many teams, but eventually you will have to rely on your defense in the postseason and they still can’t stop anyone.

The Pats used the “blueprint” on us and we’ve accomplished nothing in fixing it. This season will probably end the same way since even teams like the Ravens, Lions, and Colts have been executing it with some success

It’s about personnel not shuffling deck chairs on defense

chiefzilla1501
10-13-2019, 07:11 AM
Even this post is last year all over again. The defense embarrasses themselves, usually can get off the field only when opposing offenses makes mistakes or stop themselves with a penalty, and people blame our offense.

If everyone were healthy and playing their best on offense we would be able to outscore many teams, but eventually you will have to rely on your defense in the postseason and they still can’t stop anyone.

The Pats used the “blueprint” on us and we’ve accomplished nothing in fixing it. This season will probably end the same way since even teams like the Ravens, Lions, and Colts have been executing it with some success

It’s about personnel not shuffling deck chairs on defense

Read a great article that talked to mahomes and kelce about beating man coverage. They had specific answers. Think mahomes said the OL needs to get tougher, WRs need to run crisper routes, he needs to be more accurate. That look on mahomes face at the end of the game tells me they're addressing it. But yeah, let's stop making excuses and pretending there aren't things we should be doing much better. I'm really glad we're addressing it because I would bet we see this man blueprint all year long and now we can focus all our energy. With that we'll become better and better equipped to beat new England.

lcarus
10-13-2019, 07:51 AM
I laugh when I keep hearing about the "secret blueprint" to beating the Chiefs. Run the ball well, win time of possession, win the turnover battle, score TDs instead of FGs, go for 4th downs when it's reasonable. That's just a blueprint to winning football games period. Every team tries to do that. Just some teams are designed to pass the ball instead of run and some teams are capable of making big plays. But if you could ask Andy Reid if he would rather score on an 80 yard run on the first play of a drive or take 12 plays and 9 minutes, he'd take the 9 minute drive every time. As would any coach. Assuming they aren't behind in the game.

jaa1025
10-13-2019, 07:51 AM
It just shows ignorance or watching the game through the box score. If any of these talking head actually watched the game they would note Mahomes injury has taken away his mobility in and out of the pocket, they would note his injured left side of the line, they would note hes been without his top two receivers for the past two games.

jimidollar
10-13-2019, 07:52 AM
I always have to remind people that the Patriots lost to the Dolphins last year which blew home field advantage for them essentially.

Yeah, they blew home field advantage. Turns out they didn't need it.

chiefzilla1501
10-13-2019, 07:54 AM
I laugh when I keep hearing about the "secret blueprint" to beating the Chiefs. Run the ball well, win time of possession, win the turnover battle, score TDs instead of FGs, go for 4th downs when it's reasonable. That's just a blueprint to winning football games period. Every team tries to do that. Just some teams are designed to pass the ball instead of run and some teams are capable of making big plays. But if you could ask Andy Reid if he would rather score on an 80 yard run on the first play of a drive or take 12 plays and 9 minutes, he'd take the 9 minute drive every time. As would any coach. Assuming they aren't behind in the game.

The main point is that a zone team who ran zone against us just last year ran man almost the entire game. Sure teams play power games all the time. But playing man and chipping away at our receivers is something new. And on that... It's pretty amazing that with all the emphasis on defensive holding and taunting the NFL has been mostly letting defenses get away with it. Kelce is blatantly interfered with on half of our plays.

B_Ambuehl
10-13-2019, 09:07 AM
The football team is 17-0 over the last 2 seasons when the opponent possesses the ball less than 33 minutes.

The football team is 1-6 over the last 2 seasons when the opponent possesses the ball more than 33 minutes, and the 1 game they won the opponent fumbled the football away twice inside the chiefs 10.

So yeah the blueprint to beat the chiefs is pretty reliable. Control the pace and control the clock.

Man vs Zone D probably doesn't matter that much. This football team has only lost 2 games against teams that played predominately man, the rest played zone. **

** Belichik played zone in the 1st game

WhiteWhale
10-13-2019, 09:09 AM
Blueprint to beat KC:

-Have Andy Reid willingly bench the best running back

-Hope Andy decides passing every down with all back up skill players will work

- Also hope the only skill player not injured (Kelce) will drop passes and have a bad game

A lot of this 'blueprint' is reliant on things the opposing team doesn't have control over

WhiteWhale
10-13-2019, 09:16 AM

The chiefs scored 13 points in 9 possessions.

Please stop acting like that's a normal thing you can accomplish by running the ball or that the defensive performance by KC was responsible for it.

It makes you sound like you don't know what the hell you're talking about. Andy shit the bed. He was outcoached pure and simple.

Chris Meck
10-13-2019, 09:45 AM
The chiefs scored 13 points in 9 possessions.

Please stop acting like that's a normal thing you can accomplish by running the ball or that the defensive performance by KC was responsible for it.

It makes you sound like you don't know what the hell you're talking about. Andy shit the bed. He was outcoached pure and simple.

This is a fair point although I think there are some continencies you've overlooked.

The line play was SO POOR that I don't think we could've run the ball had we even tried. They are just getting thrown around right now. I think you could put ME in at LT and the results wouldn't be worse than Erving right now. He's not even slowing anyone down. Wylie's pretty shitty so far, but after he went out there was just a free run to the backfield.

Andy does tend to get too cute, but I don't necessarily disagree with the plan to just put the offense in Mahomes' hands. Some of the sacks and pressure were Patrick not adjusting and just checking down rather than trying to force the ball downfield. There were some swing passes that were there, but his gut tells him to go downfield. He's the Anti-Alex, which is why we love him, but on a bad ankle and missing some explosiveness at the WR position, he needed to speed his own clock up some.

This was a team loss; and while the defense should be held accountable for complete inability to stop the run, the offense also should be held accountable for incredibly shoddy offensive line play, dropped passes, and WR's not consistently beating the man coverage.

Injuries played a part in ALL of that, but Indy had a lot of key injuries as well. They just worked through it all more effectively than we did.

Last week, Frank Reich and his team outcoached Andy and his.
I'm a fan of Andy Reid, but nobody's perfect, not even Belichick.

New World Order
10-13-2019, 10:01 AM

I'm not saying the d is good, but they're MUCH better in the RZ this year, and are 14th in the league in defensive PPG.

RaidersOftheCellar
10-13-2019, 10:08 AM
1) Injure one to three of their top offensive weapons and LT.
2) Apply constant pressure on Mahomes from all sides.
3) Hope for penalties

It’s easy.

More teams will implement this strategy!

KChiefs1
10-13-2019, 10:11 AM
NFL Today guys just spent 10 minutes on the Chiefs & “The Blueprint”.

WhiteWhale
10-13-2019, 10:48 AM
This is a fair point although I think there are some continencies you've overlooked.

The line play was SO POOR that I don't think we could've run the ball had we even tried. They are just getting thrown around right now. I think you could put ME in at LT and the results wouldn't be worse than Erving right now. He's not even slowing anyone down. Wylie's pretty shitty so far, but after he went out there was just a free run to the backfield.

Andy does tend to get too cute, but I don't necessarily disagree with the plan to just put the offense in Mahomes' hands. Some of the sacks and pressure were Patrick not adjusting and just checking down rather than trying to force the ball downfield. There were some swing passes that were there, but his gut tells him to go downfield. He's the Anti-Alex, which is why we love him, but on a bad ankle and missing some explosiveness at the WR position, he needed to speed his own clock up some.

This was a team loss; and while the defense should be held accountable for complete inability to stop the run, the offense also should be held accountable for incredibly shoddy offensive line play, dropped passes, and WR's not consistently beating the man coverage.

Injuries played a part in ALL of that, but Indy had a lot of key injuries as well. They just worked through it all more effectively than we did.

Last week, Frank Reich and his team outcoached Andy and his.
I'm a fan of Andy Reid, but nobody's perfect, not even Belichick.

KC ran few misdirections, runs, play action, or screen passes.

It was just straight up drop back passing which puts a TON of pressure on the positions that were filled with back-ups.

IT's about more than just not running, and Yes, McCoy would have had more success than Williams.

Again, Andy does this a few times every season. IT's just that, for whatever reason, this year he decided to do it when we had 4 starters out of the game, an injured QB, a TE having his worst game in years, and a back up 3rd down back we're STILL trying to pretend is a starting HB.

With Mahomes, Watkins, Hill, and Fisher such a strategy is still not ideal (it's never ideal to make yourself that one-dimensional) , but far less likely to spectacularly backfire.

WhiteWhale
10-13-2019, 10:52 AM
I'm not saying the d is good, but they're MUCH better in the RZ this year, and are 14th in the league in defensive PPG.

It's a long season. KC looks very improved in the secondary (the biggest team weakness in 2018) but now they have no pass rush.

Chiefshrink
10-13-2019, 11:04 AM
Last year over again.

But worse !!:doh!:

Flying High D
10-13-2019, 11:11 AM
He beat the Bengals in prime time last year. :harumph:

Reading comprehension, his only losses have been during prime time games. Never stated he loses every prime time game. Duh

Baby Lee
10-13-2019, 12:50 PM

Maybe amend to us being more on par with a Stafford/Megatron non-playoff Lions squad.

New World Order
10-13-2019, 12:51 PM

^^^Stupid post of the day

JakeF
10-13-2019, 12:59 PM
Pretty much the blueprint is to hurt mahomes.
Andy should know this and be more concerned with protecting him.

chiefsfan15
10-13-2019, 01:53 PM
but it’s the offense

kcclone
10-13-2019, 01:53 PM
Blueprint is alive and well

eDave
10-13-2019, 02:02 PM
LMAO

bhedges1987
10-13-2019, 02:03 PM
Mahomes is wildly inaccurate and Watson showed who the best qb in that draft was today.

kcclone
10-13-2019, 02:27 PM
We're 6-5 in our last 11.

Lose to Chargers at home.
Lose @ Seattle
Win against Raiders at home
Win against Colts at home
Lose to Pats at home

and 4-2 this year.

Could have easily lost the Lions game and be under .500 in our last 11.

Blueprint is alive and well.

KChiefs1
12-26-2020, 03:02 PM
https://theathletic.com/2245312/2020/12/08/chiefs-controlling-the-clock/

Is controlling the clock the best way to slow down the Chiefs’ offense?
by
Nate Taylor, Seth Keysor, Ethan Douglas

A theory about the Chiefs began permeating through the NFL sometime during the offseason in 2019. And yes, around that time, the cliches began to be uttered by everyone — analysts, coaches and even players. Control the tempo. Play keepaway. Grind it out. Milk the clock by running the ball. At all costs, keep the ball away from Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs’ offense.

The discussion centered on how teams, especially ones with lesser talent, could best challenge and defeat the Chiefs and Mahomes, their star quarterback. As the MVP in 2018, Mahomes threw for 5,097 yards and 50 touchdowns and led the Chiefs to the AFC Championship Game. Behind Mahomes and coach Andy Reid, they found success simply by outscoring teams in shootouts.

Saying “control the tempo” or “keep Mahomes on the bench” sounds great in theory, but it’s important to ask what’s really meant by that statement. Most people mean teams should possess the ball longer than the Chiefs to shorten the game or lower the number of possessions.

But is that strategy known to be reliably successful against Mahomes and Co.? This season, the Chiefs secured comeback victories over the Chargers and Panthers when they possessed the ball for at least 38 minutes. They ended last season as Super Bowl champions, becoming the first team to win three postseason games after trailing by 10 or more points.

The men most responsible for the theory, though, just happened to be Patriots coach Bill Belichick and legendary quarterback Tom Brady. The Patriots beat the Chiefs twice in 2018, and both victories were earned in dramatic fashion. In the regular season, the Patriots had the ball for 36 minutes, including as time expired when they made a game-winning field goal. Before becoming champions, the Patriots were led by Brady in the AFC Championship Game by executing one of the most methodical offensive strategies in league history, possessing the ball for 44 minutes and keeping Mahomes on the sideline during overtime by winning the coin toss and scoring the winning touchdown. People thought that showed a template for beating the Chiefs by looking at the time of possession and total rushing yards, and ignored that the Patriots consistently threw the ball and still had to score an absurd number of points (and win an all-important coin flip) in order to secure the victory.

Of course, most teams don’t have the combination of Belichick, the greatest coach in the Super Bowl era, and Brady, the owner of six Super Bowl rings.

Five opponents this season — the Chargers, Patriots, Raiders, Broncos and Panthers — have possessed the ball more than the Chiefs in their matchup. The Raiders are the lone team who has defeated the Chiefs (10-1) — and the Raiders had the ball for 35 minutes but also needed 40 points and multiple chunk plays (not methodical drives) to win.

So why has this theory persisted? And what makes some people in the NFL still believe in it?

THE WITNESSES:

• Chiefs right tackle Mitchell Schwartz: “You kind of say, you want to get (most teams) in those passing situations. I don’t think anyone approaches us and says, ‘We want to make them throw the ball.’ It definitely plays to a strength of ours in a weird way.”

• Chiefs defensive end Frank Clark: “We get to third down and it’s 3rd-and-2 or 3rd-and-1. It’s no mystery what these teams are coming here to do. (For the Chiefs), it’s about being able to stop this run so we can have fun.”

• Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson: “Just get positive yards. That’s the main focus. You don’t need the big chunk plays. Sustain drives. Keep that explosive (Chiefs) offense off of the field.”

• Raiders coach Jon Gruden: “Not with No. 15 standing over there. We just did not want to give Mahomes another crack at it. I marveled at a lot of the plays that Derek (Carr, the Raiders quarterback) made. I certainly marvel at what Mahomes is able to do. A lot of his offense is unscripted. It is completely creative, and it is all created by him. Thank God we do not have to see them for a few weeks.”

THE FILM

In football, possession doesn’t work the same way it does in baseball. In theory, one team could “keep possession” (by continuing to bat) in baseball forever as long as it kept producing hits, walks and runs. The NFL is different. The field is a finite length, and once the end of the field is reached on a successful drive, the other team automatically gets the ball back. No matter how much one talks about keeping the ball out of a certain player’s hands, the reality is, barring turnovers (which are important), it’s impossible to do in the NFL. And so, the idea of playing keepaway is nonsensical in terms of pure time of possession.

The better theory is that if a team is able to run the ball and “burn clock,” it can lower the total number of possessions in the game and thus make the final score more random. Keep in mind there would be fewer possessions for both teams (again, barring turnovers), so the goal isn’t to just give the Chiefs fewer chances to score. Both teams would lose chances to score. It’s an acknowledgment that the Chiefs are more likely to score under usual circumstances, and by lowering the possessions for both teams, chance events like penalties, fumbles and the like are more likely to determine the outcome as opposed to the dominance of the better team.

Unfortunately for the theory, limiting possessions and “shortening the game” doesn’t work often against the Chiefs in that the strategy is as reliant on defense as it is on offense. It is something that often goes ignored when people talk about controlling the clock, but consider this hypothetical: A team completes a time-chewing drive of nine minutes and scores. On the surface, it has helped limit possessions due to such a long drive. The team then kicks the ball off to the Chiefs, and on 1st-and-10, this happens:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="pt" dir="ltr">✌️ DEUCES ✌️<br><br>��: <a href="https://twitter.com/NFLonCBS?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@NFLonCBS</a> <a href="https://t.co/FVdr2kKTGm">pic.twitter.com/FVdr2kKTGm</a></p>&mdash; Kansas City Chiefs (@Chiefs) <a href="https://twitter.com/Chiefs/status/1333167439895474176?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 29, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
By scoring quickly and moving the ball efficiently, the Chiefs are able to negate long possessions by opponents. In other words, in order for their opponent to really control the clock and limit the number of possessions, its defense is just as responsible as its offense. If the defense can consistently force the Chiefs to punt or go on long, clock-chewing drives, the plan can be successful. Otherwise, it doesn’t really work to shorten possessions.

The problem is it is absurdly hard to force the Chiefs to punt the ball or take their time going down the field, in part because they throw so frequently and in part because of how exceptional they are at converting third downs thanks to Mahomes.

The truth of the matter is that with Mahomes and a healthy team, there’s no example since the start of last season of the “control the clock” methodology actually working to beat the Chiefs. There are several games people cite as examples, but none of them are true cases of the Chiefs losing due to “clock control” and running the ball. Let’s look at each loss of the Mahomes era in which Mahomes actually played.
https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2020/12/07171727/KC-losses.png
Notice that I didn’t include time of possession. That’s because, as discussed, time of possession is meaningless in “controlling the clock” if it doesn’t actually limit possessions, as that’s the actual measure of the number of chances a team’s offense had to score. By ignoring time of possession, we can look to see whether there’s any reason to believe the Chiefs lost games because they had fewer possessions or scored less.

It should be noted that in 2019, according to Pro-Football-Reference, teams averaged 11.2 drives per game. The first thing to note is that the Chiefs averaged 0.1 fewer drives per game in their losses than what the rest of the NFL averages. The second thing to note is that even when the Chiefs had a lower number of drives than that average, it was by a single drive with one exception (the loss to the Chargers in 2018).

It should also be noted that the Chiefs averaged 31.3 points per game in their losses while their opponents averaged 36.2 points per game. In other words, teams weren’t holding the Chiefs’ offense back, by and large; they were simply outscoring them in shootouts. It’s also evident that opposing teams generally did their damage through the air in those games, not on the ground, averaging 120 more passing yards per game.

Even in games that people point to the most often as evidence that “controlling the clock” is the way to beat the Chiefs, the evidence for that is rather limited. The Chiefs’ losses to the Colts and Titans in 2019 are the most commonly cited examples, but both are very flawed. The Chiefs had just a single fewer possession than the NFL average in the Colts game despite all the running yards for Indianapolis. Furthermore, the Chiefs were missing wide receivers Tyreek Hill and Sammy Watkins, along with left tackle Eric Fisher. Most importantly, Mahomes aggravated his sprained left ankle early in the game and was clearly hobbled throughout. Despite that, it took a dropped touchdown pass from running back Damien Williams and a fumble by running back LeSean McCoy in Colts territory for the Chiefs to be held back in scoring. Looking to that game as an example of a “formula” to beat the Chiefs is a classic example of shallow box score analysis.

The Titans game is no different. The Chiefs scored 32 points and had 12 possessions despite the Titans’ success running the ball, so the game wasn’t shortened and the offense wasn’t stymied.

In short, when one actually looks at the games the Chiefs have lost, there’s no evidence to suggest teams have successfully “shortened” the game in a way that actually matters regardless of time of possession. Their ability to dictate the pace of the game on offense has prevented teams from exercising that method. With no evidence to support the idea, it’s just ignoring reality to claim that teams have beaten the Chiefs by “controlling the clock.”

THE NUMBERS

To many, “controlling the clock” means running the football and keeping the clock running. Hopefully by now, you’ve learned that isn’t a successful strategy against the Chiefs — but in case you’re still on the fence, here’s one more key piece of evidence: With win probability models, we can accurately assess the contribution each individual play has toward either team winning the game. It accounts for the strength of the teams involved, the down, the distance and the score differential, and just as importantly, the time remaining. In other words, if running the ball and thus controlling the clock was a better option than passing when facing the Chiefs, we’d see that reflected in win probability.

But as you can see … we don’t.
https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2020/12/07172154/wpa.png
The Chiefs are known for being better at defending the pass than the run, and yet because of the mechanical advantage of throwing a football through the air and the potential for explosive plays, passes have done more damage to the Chiefs’ chances of winning on average than runs. And remember, this analysis takes into account that rushing drains the clock. In other words, control the clock all you want — but the only “body blows” you’re delivering are to your own chances of winning.

THE VERDICT

Taylor: When you play Mahomes, you better score at least 31 points to give yourself the best chance to win. Mahomes is too talented of a quarterback, Reid is too creative of a play-caller and the Chiefs have too deep of a roster for a worthy opponent to focus much of its strategy around keeping the ball for the majority of the game. You need points. And you might need luck in terms of turnovers or the Chiefs to commit several penalties to earn a victory.

Keysor: There’s no real evidence to support the idea teams can beat the Chiefs by running the ball and controlling the clock. The most reliable way to beat Kansas City during the Mahomes era based on everything we’ve seen is to either win a shootout or have your defense play exceptionally well while your offense still scores at least 26 points. Either that or hope you cash in on turnovers and/or Mahomes is playing hurt.

Douglas: Controlling the clock may sound nice, but it’s controlling the scoreboard that wins games. The path to beating the Chiefs is simple: Move the ball efficiently on offense, score points and prevent the Chiefs from doing the same. Anything else is a fool’s errand.

Our decision: Busted

People can talk about “keeping the ball away from Mahomes” all they want, but that ignores the reality of football possessions and the history of how the Chiefs have actually lost games.

This myth is as false as can be.

displacedinMN
12-26-2020, 03:20 PM
Also-sooner or later the pressure gets to the other team.

WE ARE ABOUT THE BEAT THE CHIEFS!!!!! We are up by 10, 14, etc.

then BOOM- the bottom falls out/mistakes happened. That is what happened to SF. I feel many other teams have been that way the last few years.

jjchieffan
12-26-2020, 03:42 PM
If the Chiefs are on their game, there's not a formula to stop them. Heck, they can win on a bad day, like when Mahomes threw 3 picks against the Dolphins.

DRM08
12-26-2020, 03:44 PM
If the Chiefs are on their game, there's not a formula to stop them. Heck, they can win on a bad day, like when Mahomes threw 3 picks against the Dolphins.

Not even sure if it was a bad day. Moved the ball at will for about 400 yards passing. “Mixed day” is perhaps a better description of that game.

Peter Gibbons
12-26-2020, 04:21 PM
Assuming there really is a blueprint to beat the Chiefs, it must be very hard to read?
Perhaps it’s is written is Aramaic? Who knows, maybe the print is very blurry? Could it be written in a cipher? If anyone has a photo of this blueprint, please post.

When I try to envision this blueprint, I imagine Elway working with magazine/newspaper cut outs, twine, and an old shed like in a Beautiful Mind.

Bearcat
12-26-2020, 04:23 PM

Lose @ Seattle
Lose to Pats at home

and 4-2 this year.

*wins 22 of 24*

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/fQorEj8vN8eqkNcy6T" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/fQorEj8vN8eqkNcy6T">via GIPHY</a></p>

PattyFlakes
12-26-2020, 04:24 PM
22-1 over the last calendar year....... I hope teams continue to use whatever "blueprint" they've been using.

Brody Wa
12-26-2020, 05:21 PM
Skip & Cowherd say so.

The 2 biggest Chiefs haters besides Stephen A Smith

Pasta Little Brioni
12-26-2020, 05:22 PM

Lose @ Seattle
Lose to Pats at home

and 4-2 this year.

22-1 choke on that

Frazod
12-26-2020, 05:28 PM
The 2 biggest Chiefs haters besides Stephen A Smith

I think Cowherd mainly disses the Chiefs to drive Nick Wright insane.