PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Charvarius Ward

Schnitzel
10-13-2019, 03:28 PM
Did he really just say in the post game inteview that the defense is "this" close/only one step away from where they want to be? Is he serious? Is this what the coaches preach them every day? No wonder they are horrible.

TLO
10-13-2019, 03:30 PM
I stopped listening to coach/player interviews a long time ago.

They never say anything of substance.

(His INT today was pretty sweet BTW)

comochiefsfan
10-13-2019, 03:33 PM
Believe it or not, The secondary is by far the strongest unit on this defense.

The front 7 are just that much of an abomination.

threebag
10-13-2019, 06:28 PM
If Breeland could stop drawing the flags would be nice.

-King-
10-13-2019, 06:30 PM

They got burnt to a crisp today. We're just lucky Fuller and Hopkins dropped balls.

chiefforlife
10-13-2019, 06:30 PM
The defense was in position to make most plays, they wiffed most of the time. I am guessing this is what he meant.

It wasnt the DC it was the players who didnt execute.

Prison Bitch
10-13-2019, 06:31 PM
They got burnt to a crisp today. We're just lucky Fuller and Hopkins dropped balls.

Amen

chiefzilla1501
10-13-2019, 06:40 PM
I thought the secondary played ok considering we were playing the best wr in the NFL. Simply no excuse for the horrendous front 7 play. And honestly, right now, I don't know if I want to trade for a DB.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
10-13-2019, 06:41 PM
He apparently didn’t listen to honey badger who said we are selfish and don’t play as a team and our defense will continue to play how it is until shit changes. Looked like he was about to cry

KChiefsQT
10-13-2019, 07:15 PM
He apparently didn’t listen to honey badger who said we are selfish and don’t play as a team and our defense will continue to play how it is until shit changes. Looked like he was about to cry

Where can I find this?

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
10-13-2019, 07:19 PM
Where can I find this?

If you go to the kcchiefs website they have player postgame interviews. Matthieu is about 2:30 minutes long

smithandrew051
10-13-2019, 07:34 PM

The DL is truly baffling.

Rewind to the offseason:

Sign Alex Okafor. Starter on one of the best defenses in football last year and regarded as a good all around DE.

Trade for Frank Clark. Productive player in Seattle. Good for 10-ish sacks per year and plays well against the run.

Chris Jones returns. Disruptive inside force. One of the best interior rushers in football last year.

Derrick Nnadi back for year 2. Showed promise as a run stopper as a rookie.

Your depth is Ogbah, Speaks, Kpassagnon, Saunders, Williams. All big bodies with unique skill sets. A few of them are very athletic.

Bring in Daly to coach the DL. Regarded as one of the best positional coaches in the game.

Fast forward to right now:

HOW THE FUCK IS THIS GROUP SO FUCKING BAD?!?!? This seriously makes no sense. How did all of them begin to fucking suck at the same time. I get we have some injuries, but this group fucking sucked before that.

I’m fucking lost on this one.

threebag
10-13-2019, 07:57 PM
Ward is going to be great.

Buckweath
10-13-2019, 08:22 PM

Rewind to the offseason:

Sign Alex Okafor. Starter on one of the best defenses in football last year and regarded as a good all around DE.

Trade for Frank Clark. Productive player in Seattle. Good for 10-ish sacks per year and plays well against the run.

Chris Jones returns. Disruptive inside force. One of the best interior rushers in football last year.

Your depth is Ogbah, Speaks, Kpassagnon, Saunders, Williams. All big bodies with unique skill sets. A few of them are very athletic.

Bring in Daly to coach the DL. Regarded as one of the best positional coaches in the game.

HOW THE **** IS THIS GROUP SO ****ING BAD?!?!? This seriously makes no sense. How did all of them begin to ****ing suck at the same time. I get we have some injuries, but this group ****ing sucked before that.

I’m ****ing lost on this one.
I cannot believe it either. I was expecting that Dline to possibly be top 5. The LBs are far worse but that Dline has not been good.

Mecca
10-13-2019, 08:29 PM
Brendan Daly is another NE coach that is a fraud without Belichick to hold his hand.

scho63
10-13-2019, 11:17 PM
If Breeland could stop drawing the flags would be nice.

Dude has turned into a one-man penalty machine. :(

Chief Northman
10-13-2019, 11:22 PM
I’m thinking Spags and his assistants are fool’s gold.
D-line cannot get off blocks, nor the linebackers who also cannot tackle.
As already mentioned, our new personnel had success elsewhere.
KC is where defensive players come to die...

crazycoffey
10-13-2019, 11:26 PM
DL missing 2 starters. Including jones.

R
E
L
A
X

Injuries suck. Part of the game. OL missing 2 also. Including fisher.

We’re not bad. We’re injured. Big difference.

Bigger concerns are why we’re not running more earlier and trying to gain the time of possession. Much bigger concern!!! It’s more coaching right now. That is the real fail. I love Reid’s first series upside. But the rest of the game is the question. Gotta learn to play within the strengths. The long ball will benefit even without Hill or Watson if the running game gains traction.

HemiEd
10-14-2019, 04:31 AM

Or what? What would that have changed?

kcpasco
10-14-2019, 04:36 AM

R
E
L
A
X

Bigger concerns are why we’re not running more earlier and trying to gain the time of possession. Much bigger concern!!! It’s more coaching right now. That is the real fail. I love Reid’s first series upside. But the rest of the game is the question. Gotta learn to play within the strengths. The long ball will benefit even without Hill or Watson if the running game gains traction.

Charmin Ultra Soft.

kcxiv
10-14-2019, 05:07 AM
I’m thinking Spags and his assistants are fool’s gold.
D-line cannot get off blocks, nor the linebackers who also cannot tackle.
As already mentioned, our new personnel had success elsewhere.
KC is where defensive players come to die...

one thing i dont get, is we dont stunt, they dont spin, they dont use swim moves. they just try to bullrush EVERYTHING! There is nothing creative going on with our defense. I dont get it. Its like preseason and seems basic as fuck.

Mecca
10-14-2019, 05:17 AM
one thing i dont get, is we dont stunt, they dont spin, they dont use swim moves. they just try to bullrush EVERYTHING! There is nothing creative going on with our defense. I dont get it. Its like preseason and seems basic as fuck.

If you stunt on a running play it's big yards right away and they suck so bad against the run it's something to be concerned about.

kcxiv
10-14-2019, 05:19 AM
If you stunt on a running play it's big yards right away and they suck so bad against the run it's something to be concerned about.

its not like what they are doing is working to begin with and teams arent only running on the Chiefs. There is obvious passing downs and they still dont do a fucking thing.

rabblerouser
10-14-2019, 05:21 AM

R
E
L
A
X

It's definitely coaching - everyone has injuries. Some teams are well-coached, and they don't have the drop off in productivity due to injuries that we have.

Coogs
10-14-2019, 05:32 AM

This is interesting.

It might be time for Andy to turn the offense over to EB, and become Head Coach of the entire team instead of being Head Coach for the offense.

Chris Meck
10-14-2019, 06:48 AM

Rewind to the offseason:

HOW THE **** IS THIS GROUP SO ****ING BAD?!?!? This seriously makes no sense. How did all of them begin to ****ing suck at the same time. I get we have some injuries, but this group ****ing sucked before that.

I’m ****ing lost on this one.

Yeah. I don't get it either.

smithandrew051
10-14-2019, 07:11 AM
Yeah. I don't get it either.

It would be one thing if they had some struggles, but we’re trending in the right direction.

They were meh in week 1 and have gone to complete shit from there.

staylor26
10-18-2019, 01:43 PM
Is it time to start talking about this guy as a long term starter?

Jewish Rabbi
10-18-2019, 01:45 PM

I thought you weren’t going to watch the game last night?

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
10-18-2019, 01:47 PM

What I’ve been fucking saying!! Oh guess who leads the league as a CB in passer rating against since week 2?? That’s right Charvarious Ward with a 41 passer rating against him. Ward island is official!!

staylor26
10-18-2019, 01:50 PM
I thought you weren’t going to watch the game last night?

Lol I gave in.

My gut was right. I had a bad feeling. My last post in that thread before the game was about watching Mahomes getting hurt over and over again being worse than the defense and everything else. We’re cursed.

threebag
10-18-2019, 01:55 PM

Yeah I’m in. Plays like a CB1

threebag
10-18-2019, 01:57 PM
That one handed pick was a thing of beauty. It’s time to lock him up long term

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
10-18-2019, 01:59 PM
That one handed pick was a thing of beauty. It’s time to lock him up long term

He does become a free agent in 2021 but a restricted free agent!!

Buckweath
10-18-2019, 02:01 PM
I like Ward. He is solid right now and feel like he can be a solid CB for years to come.

Not a fan of Breeland.

dlphg9
10-18-2019, 02:08 PM
He does become a free agent in 2021 but a restricted free agent!!

You were right Penbrook, he looks like the best corner on this team now.

He looks really damn good, it's been a steady improvement over the course of the season and the last 2 weeks he's looked really fucking good.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
10-18-2019, 02:10 PM

He looks really damn good, it's been a steady improvement over the course of the season and the last 2 weeks he's looked really ****ing good.

Week 1 he got toast but the funny thing is after week 1 he posted on his twitter saying “I wanna be great so bad”. Ever since then statistically speaking he’s been the best CB in the league. Dude rarely gets any penalties called against him. That flag last night was bs. How do they throw a flag for holding on a run play. This was one of Veachs first moves if I remember correctly

xbarretx
10-18-2019, 02:10 PM

He looks really damn good, it's been a steady improvement over the course of the season and the last 2 weeks he's looked really ****ing good.

I really hope we are still having this conversation in 5 weeks.

Pitt Gorilla
10-18-2019, 02:12 PM
I like Ward. He is solid right now and feel like he can be a solid CB for years to come.

Not a fan of Breeland.
Still don't understand why folks thought Breeland would be anything worthwhile.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
10-18-2019, 02:12 PM
Still don't understand why folks thought Breeland would be anything worthwhile.

Dude is a flag machine

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
10-18-2019, 02:13 PM
I really hope we are still having this conversation in 5 weeks.

I bet we will be!! He shut down the best WR in the NFL in Hopkins. Next week he will probably be lined up against Davante Adams

threebag
10-18-2019, 02:15 PM
So glad we have Ward. Last year through the playoffs he was a blanket. The passes that were completed were absolutely beautiful passes.

Chargem
10-18-2019, 02:16 PM
I think Breeland is serviceable and I wouldn't mind if the Chiefs gave him a few year deal, as long as it's nothing crazy money wise.

threebag
10-18-2019, 02:17 PM
I was about to start a Fucking Keep Doubting or a Chavarious Ward Appreciation Thread

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
10-18-2019, 02:25 PM
I was about to start a ****ing Keep Doubting or a Chavarious Ward Appreciation Thread

YES!!!!

BigCatDaddy
10-18-2019, 02:29 PM
Great trade Veach!

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
10-18-2019, 02:31 PM
Fun fact. Ward leads all CBs in the NFL in tackles

dlphg9
10-18-2019, 02:40 PM
Just think if Dee Ford would have known where to line up. Narrative would be completely different regarding him. He would have been the guy that sealed the deal to KCs first SB in 10000 years.

ThaVirus
10-18-2019, 02:43 PM
I think Breeland is serviceable and I wouldn't mind if the Chiefs gave him a few year deal, as long as it's nothing crazy money wise.

I think this is a horrible idea

staylor26
10-18-2019, 02:45 PM
Just think if Dee Ford would have known where to line up. Narrative would be completely different regarding him. He would have been the guy that sealed the deal to KCs first SB in 10000 years.

Yea I’ve brought this up before too. Dee Ford fucked Ward out of the biggest play of his career.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
10-18-2019, 02:48 PM
Doesn’t matter!! Ward will become a top 5 overall CB in this league by the time we are entering the super bowl. He will come up huge for us in the playoff games. You can put him one in one against any WR and yes any and he will shut them down. Hopkins on 35 yards on 4 catches against him. Ward is a man on a mission to be great!!

Chargem
10-18-2019, 02:50 PM
I think this is a horrible idea

There's probably no cap space to sign a high end free agent in the off season, and we only have 2 CBs on the roster in 2020. Unless you're happy drafting two rookies and starting both of them, you have to get a body in there somehow - why not a guy who knows the system if the price is okay. I'd rather have Breeland than Fuller back.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
10-18-2019, 02:52 PM
Fuller is gone regardless. It’s Fenton time bitches!

ThaVirus
10-18-2019, 02:52 PM
There's probably no cap space to sign a high end free agent in the off season, and we only have 2 CBs on the roster in 2020. Unless you're happy drafting two rookies and starting both of them, you have to get a body in there somehow - why not a guy who knows the system if the price is okay. I'd rather have Breeland than Fuller back.

I’d rather have Fuller, but I recognize he’ll price himself out of our market based on age and promise alone.

Breeland is a penalty machine. He’s not fast or shifty enough to stick with receivers, which is why he gets called for holding so frequently. We give that guy a multi-year deal, I think we’ll regret it.

BossChief
10-18-2019, 03:19 PM
Ballin

Red Beans
10-18-2019, 03:21 PM
Ballin

Well now I'm hard.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
10-18-2019, 03:24 PM
Ballin

Exactly what I’ve been telling you guys but there are people here that still think Breeland is better than Ward....

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
10-18-2019, 03:26 PM
Ward deserves an appreciation thread 😢

Kiimo
10-18-2019, 03:26 PM
Lock him up as fast as you can

Hydrae
10-18-2019, 03:28 PM
And to think, he only cost us Parker Ehinger. :)

staylor26
10-18-2019, 03:31 PM
And to think, he only cost us Parker Ehinger. :)

Veach got Ogbah and Ward for Murray and Ehinger, but CP swears he’s awful at trades lol.

Recriumed
11-09-2019, 01:30 PM
Looking back on this, Ward has been one of the key reasons for the secondary improving.

threebag
11-09-2019, 01:40 PM
And to think I was asked if I even watch the game when I was talking Ward up. Breeland has sucked from the start, Ward is on them like stink on shit.

Sofa King
11-09-2019, 02:21 PM
What’s his PFT ranking just out of curiosity?

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
11-09-2019, 02:24 PM
What’s his PFT ranking just out of curiosity?

Pitt Gorilla
11-09-2019, 04:41 PM
Brendan Daly is another NE coach that is a fraud without Belichick to hold his hand.

Why do you think that?

Pasta Little Brioni
11-09-2019, 05:45 PM
Why do you think that?

He turned to his drafturbator roots after those 3 losses

RealSNR
11-09-2019, 06:16 PM
And to think I was asked if I even watch the game when I was talking Ward up. Breeland has sucked from the start, Ward is on them like stink on shit.

Breeland has one problem. Penalties.

I'm less inclined to say a corner outright sucks because of penalties. Particularly if a hefty share of those penalties are fucking bullshit.

If Breeland is a constant burn victim like corners we've had in the past, then yes, he totally sucks.

I can't quantify this and am only operating off of my own memory from games, but if some group like PFF charts "burn percentage" for CBs, I'm willing to bet Fuller would actually be the highest on the team. Could be totally wrong, but it just seems that way to me.

Hammock Parties
11-09-2019, 06:19 PM
Breeland commits those penalties because he doesn't want to give up a TD.

He basically lacks elite speed so when he gets stuck without help sometimes he gets in trouble.

I'll take the occasional penalty given how well he has played otherwise.

BWillie
11-09-2019, 06:47 PM

Speaking of rankings..anyone able to post where all of our defensive guys ranks? 73.3 means nothing to me unless I know how that is comparative to other players

KChiefs1
11-10-2019, 09:05 AM
Looking back on this, Ward has been one of the key reasons for the secondary improving.

Agreed

Chris Meck
11-10-2019, 10:14 AM
Hey remember when Reid made Sutton play him against Seattle?

and Wilson dropped a couple of dimes on him and a bunch of y'all were all like-

"HE'S TRASH"

and I was like, man, he was right there in position, stride for stride. I think he's going to be good.

and a bunch of y'all were like

"NOPE, TRASH!"

Just sayin'.

Pitt Gorilla
11-10-2019, 10:27 AM

"HE'S TRASH"

and I was like, man, he was right there in position, stride for stride. I think he's going to be good.

"NOPE, TRASH!"

Just sayin'.
I don’t know. I’m pretty tough on Chief a Fan, but most people could see he had outstanding coverage. There wasn’t too much of an argument. It was pretty clear he was going to be good.

Chris Meck
11-10-2019, 10:32 AM
I don’t know. I’m pretty tough on Chief a Fan, but most people could see he had outstanding coverage. There wasn’t too much of an argument. It was pretty clear he was going to be good.

While that was exactly my stance, the bulk of this board was all-

"WARD IS TRASH!"

RealSNR
11-10-2019, 10:55 AM

"WARD IS TRASH!"

Hey man, billay has been working out a lot lately. That's pretty unfair to call him "the bulk." There are dozens of frequent posters on here who are way fatter than him.

TwistedChief
11-10-2019, 11:01 AM
Chris remembers this right. The majority of CP was like, "Who the fuck is this guy with red dreads giving up TDs to Doug Baldwin?" But then miraculously as that week wore on the narrative shifted to "well, he was always in the right place" and then he played well the following week against the Raiders. Then CP thought Ward was above average in the playoffs (coinciding with a great article about his backstory in The Star) and this offseason the board felt like he was a budding All Pro. Only knock on him has been potential Marcus-Cooper-itis given classic CP PTSD.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
11-10-2019, 11:03 AM
I can’t remember a big play that Ward has given up. That’s incredible

suzzer99
11-10-2019, 11:12 AM
Chris remembers this right. The majority of CP was like, "Who the fuck is this guy with red dreads giving up TDs to Doug Baldwin?" But then miraculously as that week wore on the narrative shifted to "well, he was always in the right place" and then he played well the following week against the Raiders. Then CP thought Ward was above average in the playoffs (coinciding with a great article about his backstory in The Star) and this offseason the board felt like he was a budding All Pro. Only knock on him has been potential Marcus-Cooper-itis given classic CP PTSD.

From what I remember the take after the game was that Ward played decent for his first game ever, but got unlucky. Whereas Tremon Smith was trash in coverage.

Now the gameday thread might be a different story. But that's just a big hysterical meltdown about everything.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
11-10-2019, 11:50 AM
Ward is here for another 2 years too. I’d start looking at an extension for him at around 10 mil a year

RealSNR
11-10-2019, 11:56 AM
Ward is here for another 2 years too. I’d start looking at an extension for him at around 10 mil a year

Next season is his last on the udfa deal

Why Not?
11-10-2019, 12:52 PM
I can’t remember a big play that Ward has given up. That’s incredible

This aged poorly

threebag
11-10-2019, 12:56 PM

"HE'S TRASH"

"NOPE, TRASH!"

Just sayin'.

I was right there with ya :thumb:

terryna
11-10-2019, 12:59 PM

Agree...

Pitt Gorilla
11-10-2019, 02:25 PM

"WARD IS TRASH!"

The bulk of this board is insanely stupid.

jjchieffan
11-10-2019, 02:42 PM
Next season is his last on the udfa deal

Yeah. But that will be year 3, which means restricted free agent. He's not going to be unrestricted until the following year. Chiefs can own his rights 2 years.

Iowanian
11-10-2019, 03:12 PM
Fans showed up in TN. Defense didn't.

UChieffyBugger
11-19-2019, 02:47 PM
I thought he was outstanding at times last night!..kept Allen in check when he was on him and made some crucial break-ups. Veach better get him signed up to a cheap deal quickly because one day I think he's gonna be a number one CB.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
11-19-2019, 02:49 PM
I thought he was outstanding at times last night!..kept Allen in check when he was on him and make some crucial break-ups. Veach better get him signed up to a cheap deal quickly because one day I think he's gonna be a number one CB.

I’ve been trying to tell everyone after week 4!! Dude is gonna be a top 5 CB in this league. He has 2 years after this year. Get it done Veach. Also Williams pushes off on Ward in Rivers deep ball. Won’t fault him

Rausch
11-19-2019, 02:50 PM

He looks like a promising no 2 corner. That's a little steep...

pugsnotdrugs19
11-19-2019, 02:52 PM
Ward has one year left after this season.

Chiefs hold a lot of leverage though cause he’ll be a RFA.

suzzer99
11-19-2019, 02:52 PM
I love the idea of Ward-Fenton-Thornhill-HB-? growing up together getting some continuity - like the old Lewis-Burrus-Cherry-Ross secondaries that dominated for years.

Thornhill balled out last night too. Nice to see him bounce back from the Titans game.

BryanBusby
11-19-2019, 02:53 PM
Ward has been up/down this year but he's had some real nice stretches of play.

Originally thought that big reception Mike Williams had on him was on Ward, but I think Williams got away with some significant OPI. Refs need to call that dude on the shit more often.

Would like a little more consistency, but overall he was absolutely worth trading Parker Ehringer for. 10/10 would do it again.

suzzer99
11-19-2019, 02:56 PM
Just someone please drill our defense on making it obvious when they touch someone down. Ward could have easily gotten a hand on Williams and made it obvious.

Also I wonder what the rule is if the defender who touches down a receiver is OOB himself? Maybe that's why they didn't call it.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
11-19-2019, 03:05 PM
Just someone please drill our defense on making it obvious when they touch someone down. Ward could have easily gotten a hand on Williams and made it obvious.

Also I wonder what the rule is if the defender who touches down a receiver is OOB himself? Maybe that's why they didn't call it.

Fenton got a hand on him tho

InChiefsHeaven
11-19-2019, 03:09 PM
Fenton got a hand on him tho

Yeah, Fenton obviously shoved him to the ground in mid air...he was down.

suzzer99
11-19-2019, 03:09 PM
I know that but the refs missed it. If Ward touches him there's no question.

DJ's left nut
11-19-2019, 03:26 PM
I’ve been trying to tell everyone after week 4!! Dude is gonna be a top 5 CB in this league. He has 2 years after this year. Get it done Veach. Also Williams pushes off on Ward in Rivers deep ball. Won’t fault him

Nah - Williams barely touched him.

Ward simply mis-read the flight path on the ball and let Williams settle deeper than he expected. Ward had already cut under where that ball was gonna land and I don't think any contact from Williams made a difference.

Ward played a very good game but that was a pretty massive mistake on his part. Seemed like he was being just a hair too aggressive and ended up getting burned by it.

JakeF
11-19-2019, 03:44 PM
Fenton is showing promise

Kiimo
11-19-2019, 03:51 PM
Fenton is showing promise

Against all better judgement.

Man if that guy works out this is a monster draft class.

Fenton: 22

Ward: 23

Megatron96
11-19-2019, 05:29 PM
Ward had a really good game. I thought he was more athletic than I've seen him earlier in the season and more aggressive. Good to see him improving week to week.

DJ's left nut
11-19-2019, 05:33 PM
Ward had a really good game. I thought he was more athletic than I've seen him earlier in the season and more aggressive. Good to see him improving week to week.

Credit to Spags for altering coverage to allow him to play to his strengths.

He's not a great zone corner so Spags uses him a lot more in man. And it's allowed him to develop his underlying skills nicely.