PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Defense tonight.....

God of Thunder
10-17-2019, 10:15 PM
A+ job tonight. Maybe a slight curve to that grade considering how poor we've been, but I saw them attacking gaps, aggressive on the tackling, great positioning, and I saw a pass rush that seemed to have some life. Denvers offensive line may be shit, but it's got to be a major confidence booster going to SNF next week.

TLO
10-17-2019, 10:17 PM
Agree on all accounts. The defense needs to show that aggressiveness all season long.

suzzer99
10-17-2019, 10:18 PM
Cross posting because that other thread is already almost off the first page - I give Honey Badger a lot of credit. In just a few weeks he's showed more leadership and fire than Berry or Houston did for years. That team was pissed out there tonight.

They were playing with a lot of pride and playing angry until the end. You never saw that last year, even when the defense had an ok game.

carcosa
Hope to Mahomes that they bottle that energy and chug it before every game

Mama Hip Rockets
I agree. Denver's offense is obviously atrocious, but the Chiefs' defense looked like a completely different team out there. The most complete game I've seen them play in a long time.

SDChiefs
They looked fantastic. Donkeys suck. Grain of salt....

Kman34
Flaccid is that dummy they setup for pass rushing drills... Do it again against GB and then I'll be impressed..

-King-
Was just about to make this thread. Defense was great on literally every level. Hopefully this gives them some confidence and they carry it over to the rest of the season

siberian khatru
10-17-2019, 10:19 PM
They played with violence

Reerun_KC
10-17-2019, 10:19 PM
Had no choice.

You were mocked and ridiculed for being completely dog shit for the better part of a month

SpAggot had no choice. .

wazu
10-17-2019, 10:21 PM
They showed promise. Next two weeks they can build on that by facing tougher offenses. Still, was only yesterday we felt like the Chiefs couldn't even play well against terrible offenses, so this is progress.

J Diddy
10-17-2019, 10:21 PM
Had no choice.

You were mocked and ridiculed for being completely dog shit for the better part of a month

SpAggot had no choice. .

Dumb ass there’s always a choice. You could fucking lay down or you could smack someone in the damn mouth. They chose the latter. Don’t discount the effort because it doesn’t fit your predetermined narrative

J Diddy
10-17-2019, 10:22 PM
Flaccid is that dummy they setup for pass rushing drills... Do it again against GB and then I'll be impressed..

If you could get a Boner and your wife would be impressed. Maybe you should focus on that

Reerun_KC
10-17-2019, 10:23 PM
Dumb ass there’s always a choice. You could ****ing lay down or you could smack someone in the damn mouth. They chose the latter. Don’t discount the effort because it doesn’t fit your predetermined narrative

For fucks sake. They have been raped for 3 weeks.

About time the showed up.

Hammock Parties
10-17-2019, 10:25 PM
This game proved Spags superior to Sutton.

BossChief
10-17-2019, 10:27 PM
Hopefully the first sign of the players buying into the system and starting to play without thinking as much.

MahiMike
10-17-2019, 10:29 PM
They kicked ass. They were good before Mahomes went down and great after he went down.

Imon Yourside
10-17-2019, 10:30 PM
This game proved Spags superior to Sutton.

Sutton is Senile, so ya

Kman34
10-17-2019, 10:31 PM
Flacco just got sacked on the way to his car..

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
No DARRON LEE!!

Imon Yourside
Top 5 Defense of alltime, you heard it here first!

Hammock Parties
10-17-2019, 10:36 PM
i've never even heard of a chiefs linebacker picking up a sack on a blitz

like dudes who are just on the roster to stop the run and drop in coverage

those guys were raping faces tonight

what the fuck was that shit!?

spags saw something on film

we looked like alabama playing one of the poor sisters on their schedule

Reerun_KC
10-17-2019, 10:37 PM
i've never even heard of a chiefs linebacker picking up a sack on a blitz

like dudes who are just on the roster to stop the run and drop in coverage

those guys were raping faces tonight

what the **** was that shit!?

we looked like alabama playing one of the poor sisters on their schedule

Spaggot

Chiefshrink
10-17-2019, 10:40 PM
That team was pissed out there tonight.

As they should have been and more embarrassed than anything being the laughing stock of the league both nationally and especially locally. Now that Mahomes will be sidelined for a bit it is time for them to quiet the "Mahomes is the only thing carrying this team" critiques which was pretty much everyone.

They were playing with a lot of pride and playing angry until the end. You never saw that last year, even when the defense had an ok game.

We have not seen this type of defense since the mid-90's.

PAChiefsGuy
10-17-2019, 10:40 PM
I'm not going to get too excited about one against a shit offense. See how they do next week when Packers come into town. A little tougher test there...

That said they did a great job tonight especially the dline.

Chiefshrink
10-17-2019, 10:42 PM

He saw Garrett Bolles on film.:LOL:

Jerm
10-17-2019, 10:42 PM

...and a mannequin playing QB.

Imon Yourside
10-17-2019, 10:44 PM

Well ya but still top 5. I BEEEEEEEEEEEELEEEEEEEEEEEEEVE!

Red Dawg
10-17-2019, 10:45 PM
They played with killer instinct tonight and got it done. Great job.

RealSNR
10-17-2019, 10:49 PM
Bolles: Coach... are they booing me?

Fangio: Uh, no Garrett. They're saying "Boo-olles! Boo-olles!"

Bolles: *to crowd* Are you saying "Boo" or "Boo-olles?"

Crowd: BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Elway: I was saying Boo-olles...

Chiefshrink
10-17-2019, 10:49 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eQgFhs_6pwM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chiefshrink
10-17-2019, 10:51 PM
I'm not going to get too excited about one against a shit offense. See how they do next week when Packers come into town. A little tougher test there...

That said they did a great job tonight especially the dline.

Yep !!

jerryaldini
10-17-2019, 11:43 PM
Wpuldve been a shutout if not for couple 3rd down ref bailouts in that drive. HB for Haglands alone wouldve won that pats game. Wouldve couldve.

BossChief
10-17-2019, 11:58 PM
The most important part about tonight was seeing the exact type of defense we need to play against NE to beat them.

Chieftain
10-18-2019, 12:19 AM
Very impressive defensive performance against a Denver offense that has a capable running game.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
10-18-2019, 12:21 AM
Khalen Saunders is making Jones look expendable....

BWillie
10-18-2019, 12:29 AM
Ben mother fuckin Nieman, too.

Frosty
10-18-2019, 12:32 AM
So maybe Fenton will be a player? A lot of people were down on that pick but he looked decent the few times they showed him. Decent tackler, too, from what I could tell. Didn't seem to miss Fuller at all.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
10-18-2019, 12:34 AM
I’ve never been down on Fenton. If you watched him last game you could tell he was a stud. More Niemann less of Darron Lee please. I’d be perfectly fine if Lee doesn’t play a single snap the rest of season. I feel like he will probably be inactive come gameday once are normal starters are back and healthy. More Ragland too please

scho63
10-18-2019, 03:29 AM

This x 10

:clap::clap:

Chargem
10-18-2019, 03:53 AM
I’ve never been down on Fenton.

Would you like to go down on Fenton?

TwistedChief
10-18-2019, 03:53 AM
In one thread, Mahomo just:
1. Said Jones was expendable because of Saunders
2. Called Fenton a "stud"
3. Begged for more Ragland

ROFL

Chris Meck
10-18-2019, 04:26 AM
Well, guys played like the guys we thought they were when we acquired them.

Denver ran for...what, 149 yards against Green Bay? 191 against the Chargers?

Yeah, Bolles sucks, but this was a quality win.

I hope that we saw guys buying into the system and playing for pride, and that we see that continue. It had to feel good.

Hitchens looked like the guy we paid. So did Clark. Guys played downhill, and tackled hard, and filled gaps, and did the stuff that NFL defensive players are supposed to do.

We can hope that Mathieu's post-game comments from Sunday were taken a little bit to heart; and that the guys can all see now what they can accomplish when they play disciplined, scheme-sound football.

Easy 6
10-18-2019, 04:36 AM
Just read a stat at NFL.com saying Ogbah, Okafor and Hitchens are the first trio to record at least 2 sacks apiece with a FF thrown in since 2003

Yeah the defense played angry and it was a helluva sight, but one game isn’t enough... gotta springboard off this and bring that same intensity every week

Chiefs=Champions
10-18-2019, 04:57 AM
Crazy what some passion and fire can do. They played sound, but agressive. You can't be passive and reactive.

Chargem
10-18-2019, 05:14 AM
9 sacks without Chris Jones. Imagine if Jones was healthy, could have been a new NFL record

Chris Meck
10-18-2019, 05:18 AM
9 sacks without Chris Jones. Imagine if Jones was healthy, could have been a new NFL record

Well...we don't know.

As talented as Jones is, the knock on him has been that he's a bit of a freelancer, which leads to some issues in gap discipline.

I hope when we do get him back, he keeps what they did in Denver in mind and just stays in his lane.

Chris Meck
10-18-2019, 05:18 AM
By the way, can we give a shout out to Okafor? He's been really good so far.

Chargem
10-18-2019, 05:32 AM
Well...we don't know.

As talented as Jones is, the knock on him has been that he's a bit of a freelancer, which leads to some issues in gap discipline.

I hope when we do get him back, he keeps what they did in Denver in mind and just stays in his lane.

It's an interesting one because if the defense can look stout in the middle and still get pressure without him, maybe the best move becomes the tag and trade especially if there is a lot of interest in him.

I've never thought he was that much of a liability in the run game, although obviously he does freelance sometimes he doesn't seem like a total loose cannon.

I generally think we win the Texans game if Jones is on the field just because on his own he probably wrecks 1-2 drives causing punts just by whooping the guy in front of him within 0.5 seconds of the snap and getting in the backfield.

By the way, can we give a shout out to Okafor? He's been really good so far.

Like almost everyone else, he's been a bit banged up but I really liked how he looked in the pre season and he looked good again last night. He laboured a little towards the end of the game which may be to do with his hip injury, hopefully the 10 days rest does him good.

I'm also looking forward to seeing some all 22 breakdowns of Saunders, Nnadi and McClain because it seemed like everyone played well on the line.

farmerchief
10-18-2019, 05:46 AM
Crazy what some passion and fire can do. They played sound, but agressive. You can't be passive and reactive.
Bingo, they were more aggressive, which we havent seen in the past. Maybe their demeanor has changed, hope so, we will need to lean on the D for awhile, looks like. At least they should have a little confidence among themselves, they can get the job done!

AussieChiefsFan
10-18-2019, 05:50 AM
Yeah its great to see the D step it up with Patty out. The pass rush didn't let up which is exactly what we'll need later in the year. With an offense going on all cylinders this is the kind of defense we need to show up at the same time. Hopefully the next 10 days will be used as an opportunity to build on what we saw today, and for the offense to heal up.

Chris Meck
10-18-2019, 05:50 AM
Bingo, they were more aggressive, which we havent seen in the past. Maybe their demeanor has changed, hope so, we will need to lean on the D for awhile, looks like. At least they should have a little confidence among themselves, they can get the job done!

A lot of playing defense is WANT TO.

You've got to want to get dirty and hit people. You've got to want to take away their will. It's aggression, and fire.

We haven't seen that in KC in years.

It's just one game; against a mediocre offense, it's true.

HOWEVER, it was an offense that seemed tailor-made to give us fits. They've run the ball well, and while Flacco is a statue, he still throws a pretty deep ball and had they been able to establish the run, they could've eaten us alive with play-action.

And with no Mahomes, they could've thrown in the towel.

They didn't. They got nasty instead. I like it.

AussieChiefsFan
10-18-2019, 05:55 AM
It's just one game; against a mediocre offense, it's true.

HOWEVER, it was an offense that seemed tailor-made to give us fits. They've run the ball well, and while Flacco is a statue, he still throws a pretty deep ball and had they been able to establish the run, they could've eaten us alive with play-action.

Exactly. I guess the bigger point is that they finally played hard for a whole game and didn't let up even when they could have. When Patty went down, they didn't let up. When we were still up big in the 4th quarter, didn't let up. Gotta keep this energy going down the stretch vs. teams that play like these Donkeys.

The defense more than anyone needed the morale boost too.

dallaschiefsfan
10-18-2019, 06:30 AM
While it's important that they repeat against GB next Sunday night, we probably don't need to temper our excitement TOO much on last night's performance. Keep in mind, far better defenses (to this point in the season) were not able to do what we did last night to the Donks. We forced a statistical abortion of a game for the Donks and sacked them NINE times. Bears, GB, and Jax are better defenses and didn't do what we did to them in their house.

Again...the Chiefs D needs to sustain this, but no need to temper this performance based on the Broncos being a terrible offensive line/Flacco the statue/etc.

cabletech94
10-18-2019, 06:46 AM
first defensive play. every single player on Defense swarmed to the running back. they did not over pursue, which has been frustrating. minus those 2 3rd down penalties, we did amazing work on rush defense. i hope they play mad every game from here on to the super bowl.

RaidersOftheCellar
10-18-2019, 08:07 AM
Defense stepped up for Spags. They knew he was taking heat.

Dunerdr
10-18-2019, 08:57 AM
So maybe Fenton will be a player? A lot of people were down on that pick but he looked decent the few times they showed him. Decent tackler, too, from what I could tell. Didn't seem to miss Fuller at all.

You mean felton

RINGLEADER
10-18-2019, 09:06 AM
Chiefs defense has actually been pretty good as a scoring defense. Right now they're 12th in the league and if you look at it based on their opponents they've never really surrendered more than a single score's worth of additional points over what their opponent normally scores.

Jags +8 over their average points scored in all their other games
Raiders -13
Ravens -3
Lions +8
Colts -6
Texans +5
Broncos -12

Nice to see the best performances on defense are coming within the division. We keep that up and the Chargers are going to score somewhere between 7 and 9 points. :)

Through 7 games they're about 5 points under the amount of scoring they allowed per game last season. In isolation the three games where they couldn't stop the run are the gaping wound everyone (rightfully) points at and talks about, but overall statistically the wheels haven't come off -- at least not as bad as most believe.

chiefzilla1501
10-18-2019, 09:15 AM
The huge difference for me is I could just see our players fighting for tackles. We've often had players in the right spots but passively attacking once they got there. They were selling out on tackles. I was frankly worried about whether we'd get gassed in the elevation but (and I hate to say this, but for yesterday... I actually think offense ball control helped)

Naptown Chief
10-18-2019, 09:16 AM
Now that's how you play some D. Phenomenal job. Hopefully this is the intensity we'll see the rest of the way.

Healthy Mahomes and the effort we saw out of EVERY player on this team tonight is a Superbowl win.

philfree
10-18-2019, 09:27 AM
Ragland had a good game. I don't recall seeing him on the field much this year until last night. Maybe he can be part of the solution in stopping the run on a consistent basis.