PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs 10 Year Old Girl w/brain tumor gives Patrick Mahomes a bracelet he wears every game

T-post Tom
10-23-2019, 09:31 AM
ST. JOSEPH, Mo. -- Chiefs fans focused on Patrick Mahome's knee when he limped off the field against the Denver Broncos.

Ten year-old Whitney Wells, her family and her friends were probably the only people who noticed his wrist.

The two met at Chiefs Training Camp in St. Joseph this summer. Whitney gave Mahomes and Travis Kelce special bracelets with her name and her mantra "You Got This."

Mahomes has worn the wristband in every game this season.

Doctors diagnosed Whitney with a rare brain tumor called D.I.P.G. in May. Whitney and her family spent most of their summer at St. Jude Children's Hospital in Memphis.

They returned to St. Joseph just in time for the Chiefs to arrive for training camp. The Chiefs heard about Whitney's diagnosis and invited the family to spend a day with the team.

"It's been awesome with all the support and the compassion from everybody," Scott Wells, Whitney's father, said at training camp in August. "Players coming to sign autographs and say, 'Hi,' and take pictures. It's very humbling."

The family also spent time with Head Coach Andy Reid and players Travis Kelce and Sammy Watkins.

"Clearly, that illustrates those gentlemen have huge hearts," Tara Wells, Whitney's mother, said. "They certainly today expressed themselves being behind Whitney as we continue this journey."

Whitney's mom said it's been a tough time for the ten-year-old. Since Whitney was diagnosed in May, she has lost the ability to run and play like she used to with other kids. She no longer writes with her right hand. Whitney's mom said that many other things they took for granted before they learned of the tumor are also gone.

But Whitney, along with her family and friends, continue to fight.

"We just want her to feel like a normal kid," Tara Wells said. "Continue to do the things that she loves and to find new interests and new loves as we continue this difficult journey."

The fight for Whitney continued during the NFL's Crucial Catch game at Arrowhead against the Texans. The NFL uses the game to promote the importance of early cancer screenings. The Wells' friends, and even a Chiefs Cheerleader, used the opportunity to raise awareness about Whitney's fight.

While Whitney hasn't heard from the Chiefs quarterback since that day in St. Joseph, Whitney's mom said the meeting still means the world to her daughter.

"Mahomes wearing her bracelet has made her feel very special, especially on tough days," Tara said. "He's given her happiness. He's given her the feeling that she really is a special girl, and he gives her hope."

You can follow Whitney's journey on a Facebook page called "Fight for Whitney."

<iframe width='640' height='480' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen src='//cdn2.trb.tv/iframe.html?ec=JpbjNvaTE6Hl5R7rsupxQWO4gl-FtFtv&pbid=41a7fde962484147af148038b175431a&pcode=o3ZXA6AW_ODSH73PHaEhBxcqUpwq'></iframe>

dlphg9
10-23-2019, 09:55 AM
Cannot read or watch, since I will bawl my eyes out. Having kids changes your whole perspective on life.

T-post Tom
10-23-2019, 10:00 AM
Cannot read or watch, since I will bawl my eyes out. Having kids changes your whole perspective on life.

Yep

rabblerouser
10-23-2019, 10:02 AM
She's awesome.

He's awesome.

I love Whitney.

I love PMII.

Naptown Chief
10-23-2019, 10:03 AM
God bless that little girl and God bless Patrick Mahomes. I could not have prayed for a better young man to be our QB

Gravedigger
10-23-2019, 10:05 AM

Having my first in June, it's already changed how I'm thinking and planning things. Mahomes is awesome, glad to have him representing our team and our city.

Skyy God
10-23-2019, 10:22 AM
Probably a plot by Bill Belichick to poison him with polonium.

Sure-Oz
10-23-2019, 10:48 AM
Pretty awesome of Pat. Huge for that girl

siberian khatru
10-23-2019, 11:03 AM
Probably a plot by Bill Belichick to poison him with polonium.

LMAO

Pitt Gorilla
10-23-2019, 12:29 PM
Incredible. In a time when leaders openly demand praise/credit/adulation, it's refreshing to have a leader like Pat that isn't perpetually worried about crap like that.

DCTwister
10-23-2019, 12:41 PM
Good story. If you don’t know about DIPG, it’s a terrible thing and very sobering. Average lifespan after diagnosis is 9 months. It has a 0% survival rate. Average age of onset is 6 years old. It only affects a fairly small number of kids a year so the research dollars are not focused here. Hopefully we can find a cure. You can read more at defeatdipg dot org

MMXcalibur
10-23-2019, 12:47 PM

Amen.

I can't read these types of stories anymore.

Perineum Ripper
10-23-2019, 12:50 PM
Hopefully he disinfected it, so he doesn’t get teh AIDS, or hurt his knee again.

Pitt Gorilla
10-23-2019, 12:51 PM
Amen.

I can't read these types of stories anymore.
The video made me tear up a bit, but it's worth it to see our guys being outstanding people and to learn more about the disease.

Kids shouldn't ever have to go through something like that.

rtmike
10-23-2019, 01:35 PM
I’m an Uber driver now.
My team invariably gets brought up, usually a hat or garb spurs it, now the 1st thing people say is PMII is such a good kid. Then his talent, lol.

Kramerica
10-23-2019, 01:46 PM
My allergies sure are acting up after watching that.

Easy 6
10-23-2019, 04:39 PM
Heartbreaker, but it’s sooo damn cool to know Money wears it for every game... it must make her very proud, it sure as heck makes me proud

Chiefaholic
10-23-2019, 04:53 PM
Just one more reason to root for and stand behind Mahomes. He's a true professional on and off the field. Class act!!!!! It would be even more cool if the local media picks up on this story and gets her and her family VIP tickets to every home game.