PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs At the halfway point of 2019, who are your biggest surprise players - pos and neg.

Rain Man
10-28-2019, 12:43 AM
Who are the five players who have most exceeded your expectations going into Week 1, and who are the five players who have most underperformed your expectations? You can decide whether to include injured players or not.

Note that I'm not asking for the best and worst players, but rather the ones who have most exceeded or fallen short of your expectations of them.

My positive five are:

1. Lesean McCoy - I figured he was just a depth pickup, and he's been key to the team's slightly above .500 success.

2. Tanoh Kpassagnon - The guy has really stepped up his game this year. He's legit.

3. Emmanuel Ogbah - Good pass rush off the bench.

4. Juan Thornhill - He's still learning, but he's become a starter as a rookie and you can see flashes of greatness.

5. Darrell Williams - I didn't expect him to see the field much, but he's been on the field and productive.

Honorable mention to Okafor, Reiter, Hardman, and Charvarius.

My five most disappointing guys have been:

1. Frank Clark. Obvious #1 here.

2. Damien Williams. He really took a step back from last season.

3. Darron Lee. I could put almost any LB in this spot. I'll put Lee in as a spokesperson. You've seen them all, so you know what I mean.

4. Blake Bell. Other than being big, I've been underwhelmed. I think he's a downgrade from Demetrius.

5. Tyrann Mattieu. He's starting to come around, but his first few games were not strong. I see flashes, though, so I think better times are ahead.

The production of Fisher, Tyreek, and Chris Jones has been underwhelming, but I'll give them a pass due to injury. Still, though, their absence is a reason that this team isn't 8-0. Same with Wylie and O'Daniel, I guess.

Iconic
10-28-2019, 12:50 AM
100% Damien Wilson. I thought he'd be some scrub who barely saw the field but holy fucking shit he's turned into my favorite player on the team.

Megatron96
10-28-2019, 01:13 AM
Positive surprises:

Chevarious Ward. He's really stepped up his game in recent weeks. Holding Hopkins to 4 or 5 catches was outstanding. And he's consistently turned in good performances since then.

Shady. thought he'd be backing up Damien Williams. His production has been significant and consistent both in the rushing and passing game. More important since Damien has been invisible this season until tonight.

Khalen Saunders. As a rookie, I didn't think he'd even play this season. Now he's starting and has been pretty good in the last two weeks.

Negative surprises:

Damien Williams. I really thought he was going to have a breakout year.

Watkins. I still see the value of him, but I really thought he was going to have a career type year in 2019, and his injury issues have depth-charged yet another season.

Butker. It's only half-way through the season and he's already missed 3 field goals and an XTP. I don't think any of them ultimately cost a game, but he's down to 83% makes; he needs to be better. Last year he was something like 89%.

Bump
10-28-2019, 01:52 AM
Positives:

KPass = always been down on him because he was a 2nd round pick and never played, but he's finally getting on the field and doing something.

Ward = He started off the season pretty shitty if I remember correctly, but he's turning into a solid CB.

Rankin = from what I've seen, he seems alright.

Ogbah = he good

Matt Moore = you could definitely do worse for a back up QB

Darrell Williams = the kid is alright

Negative:

Watkins = huge game one, then a catch here and there and another injury

Damien Williams = he did better tonight on his few carries than he has rushing the ball all season with his 1.7 yards per carry.

Hitchens = he sucks and is overpaid

Frank Clark = ya he had one good game against the Broncos, but we need him to be a game changer and he's just not that. We could have had kpass out there instead of Clark and we wouldn't notice any difference. If he starts dominating consistently, I'll be happy but he needs more than one good game before I start giving him respect.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
10-28-2019, 01:55 AM
I’d offer Moore the back up job for next season if he wants it. Sorry Henne but you’re gone. Moore played damn good tonight!! Have nothing bad to say about him at all

YontsRBake
10-28-2019, 02:04 AM
Damien Wilson has improved drastically since game 1 and was easily the best player on the defense tonight. He could end up being a center piece for us in the future.

Mecole is way farther along than I expected, I didn’t think he’d do much more for us than be a returner this year but he’s a dark horse for ROTY (Jacobs probably has it locked up but still)

Ben Nieman is trash, have no clue how he’s even on the roster still, much less starting.

Where the fk is O’daniel? There was tons of hype around him and he barely even plays. Why does he not just play that MLB spot we have Nieman at? Isn’t coverage his strength?

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
10-28-2019, 02:11 AM
Damien Wilson has improved drastically since game 1 and was easily the best player on the defense tonight. He could end up being a center piece for us in the future.

Mecole is way farther along than I expected, I didn’t think he’d do much more for us than be a returner this year but he’s a dark horse for ROTY (Jacobs probably has it locked up but still)

Ben Nieman is trash, have no clue how he’s even on the roster still, much less starting.

Where the fk is O’daniel? There was tons of hype around him and he barely even plays. Why does he not just play that MLB spot we have Nieman at? Isn’t coverage his strength?

Wilson struggles in coverage but he’s really good against everything else. What we really need is a coverage LB

kccrow
10-28-2019, 02:42 AM
Positives
1. DE E. Ogbah - Has been the team's best defensive lineman in my opinion. He's playing really well.
2. LB D. Wilson - Has been far and away the only bright spot at LB, although Ragland is coming on strong as a 2-down thumper of late.
3. CB C. Ward - Has been pretty strong of late and looks to be getting better the more he plays.
4. QB M. Moore - You don't expect a backup QB that came into things late to be a savior, but he's definitely not been the problem. He should have had a win tonight. He's playing good football.
5. DE T. Kpassagnon - This kid really seems to be turning the corner and has been solid. He's certainly doing more right than wrong out there and gets decent pressure.
Honorable Mention: FS J. Thornhill - He has some lapses, especially in the play-action game, but he's starting as a rookie and he's been solid.

Negatives
1. LB A. Hitchens - I thought he may turn it around going back to playing in a 4-3, but the guy just flat-out sucks.
2. DE F. Clark - Clark hasn't done much to warrant the hype coming in. If anything, him and Ogbah should flip salaries. The guy isn't very good against the run and doesn't get pressure in the passing game.
3. WR S. Watkins - Way too inconsistent and too often injured. He provides a spark here and there when he should be the reliable option opposite Hill.
4. CB K. Fuller - He's not much out there. I think Ward, Breeland, and Claiborne have been much better. I at least expected him to be glue playing from the slot and he's not.
5. RB D. Williams - Lost his starting gig and just wasn't much. Looked to have some spark tonight though. The Chiefs need more from him because Shady keeps putting the ball on the turf.
Honorable Mention: Interior O-Line - Seems the revolving door hasn't stopped, especially at LG, but these guys as a whole need to step it up and stop allowing so much pressue.

Buehler445
10-28-2019, 03:37 AM
Positives

Ogbah - Really good. The kind of pickups we're going to have to make.
KPass - Fuck you Bob Sutton. Really. Good news is there is a chance we can get an extension. Hey Veach. Extension.
Hardman - Better than I expected. Trying to follow the Hill model is an exercise in futility, but I like this kid. He wants it bad.
Matt Moore - WAAAAAY better than I was expecting.
Blake Bell - He's no world beater, but he belongs on the field, and that's more than I was expecting

Negatives
Clark Obvious things are obvious
Hitchens Dude just looked slow. I really thought we had something prior to his injury.
Buttkicker Fucking Kickers. Jesus Christ. Fucking Kickers
Damien Williams I don't even know what his deal is
McCoy Typically veterans come in without the athleticism, but hold on to the goddamned motherfucking football. Fuck.

I left off some dudes that had rocky starts and are coming around because sample size.

ThyKingdomCome15
10-28-2019, 03:47 AM
Emanuel Ogbah. We got him for pennies and he's playing well.