PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Patrick Mahomes and a defense is all we need.

TripleThreat
11-13-2019, 06:20 PM
Look at the 49ers and the patriots for simple examples.

The only two players maybe worth the buy on our team is Kelce and hill, but we cannot keep or pay both, especially once we pay Mahomes. There is no way Mahomes will be taking a Tom Brady contract.

Think about it, whoever wins the super bowl typically has an above average defense. Patrick Mahomes will make our weapons look better than they are, therefore all we truly need is a game changer like hill. Let kelce go, take the patriot approach. We need a strong defense that can win us 3 and outs and let the mvp take the field and eat up clock and score touchdowns.

Andy Reid, we do not need to be the colts of Peyton Manning, all we need is Mahomes, hill (for now) and then an above average defense. We will stay competitive every year and actually have a chance at winning the super bowl year after year.

chiefzilla1501
11-13-2019, 06:22 PM
Screw that. That's what gets you Aaron rodgers and Peyton manning turning into human pinball machines. Our offense is our strength. Build around that. Ask our defense to not be terrible. Good DCs can do that. Spags better do that and if he can't, send him packing.

Jerok
11-13-2019, 06:25 PM
Screw that. That's what gets you Houston and Tamba turning into wasted sack machines. Our defense is our strength. Build around that. Ask our offense to not be terrible. Good coaches can do that. Reid better do that and if he can't, send him packing.

TripleThreat
11-13-2019, 06:26 PM
Screw that. That's what gets you Aaron rodgers and Peyton manning turning into human pinball machines. Our offense is our strength. Build around that. Ask our defense to not be terrible. Good DCs can do that. Spags better do that and if he can't, send him packing.

What?? Patrick Mahomes is the best qb in the nfl, at the very least argued to be the best, he will be paid like it.

That leaves us little $$. Do you want an O-line to protect the best quarterback in football? That takes $$. You want to build around our offense like hill and kelce and even more stars? That takes $$. There’s this thing called the cap.

Your legit saying build around our offense, and just hope our dc can write up schemes for under payed players to over perform. That is ridiculous.

Look up why the patriots are so successful year after year, it goes completely against what you are suggesting

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
11-13-2019, 06:30 PM
Yes let’s let go the best TE in the NFL....

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-13-2019, 06:34 PM
Pay your offense playmakers and draft your defense. I've stated this several times. Your defense doesn't need to have the experience so much and younger means faster and cheaper.

Megatron96
11-13-2019, 06:37 PM
Look at the 49ers and the patriots for simple examples.

The only two players maybe worth the buy on our team is Kelce and hill, but we cannot keep or pay both, especially once we pay Mahomes. There is no way Mahomes will be taking a Tom Brady contract.

Think about it, whoever wins the super bowl typically has an above average defense. Patrick Mahomes will make our weapons look better than they are, therefore all we truly need is a game changer like hill. Let kelce go, take the patriot approach. We need a strong defense that can win us 3 and outs and let the mvp take the field and eat up clock and score touchdowns.

Andy Reid, we do not need to be the colts of Peyton Manning, all we need is Mahomes, hill (for now) and then an above average defense. We will stay competitive every year and actually have a chance at winning the super bowl year after year.

Ah, Tom Brady has always had a great TE until this year. He's also always had a good receiving RB. He's never needed elite WRs.

Also, we've already proven that the offense doesn't nearly as well with just Hill. The offense runs best with a good/great running and receiving RB, Kelce, Hill, and at least one other speed receiver. Doesn't have to be a 4.3 guy, but a bigger target with sub 4.5s speed.

And I think that the Patriots defense last year was ranked 20th or something like that. What has always made Patriots' defenses exceptional in the playoffs is their situational awareness. They might not always rack up the most impressive stats during the regular season (as they have this year), but they are always prepared for specific situations at critical moments in games. The pick by Butler against the Seahawks being the most obvious one that comes to mind right now.

They knew that Seattle liked that play down near the goal-line, and they practiced defending it as late as that morning in the hotel lobby.

Megatron96
11-13-2019, 06:40 PM
What?? Patrick Mahomes is the best qb in the nfl, at the very least argued to be the best, he will be paid like it.

That leaves us little $$. Do you want an O-line to protect the best quarterback in football? That takes $$. You want to build around our offense like hill and kelce and even more stars? That takes $$. There’s this thing called the cap.

Your legit saying build around our offense, and just hope our dc can write up schemes for under payed players to over perform. That is ridiculous.

Look up why the patriots are so successful year after year, it goes completely against what you are suggesting

The Patriots have almost always had one of the best OLs in the league year, in and year out. This year they traded away one of the best LTs in the game, and then had three injuries to other linemen, or they would still have a top 10 OL.

You want a SB team, you need a really good OL.

TripleThreat
11-13-2019, 06:41 PM
Yes let’s let go the best TE in the NFL....

Kelce is probably the 2nd best tight end in the nfl, behind George Kittle.

Is it really the end of the world to say we shouldn’t resign a 30 year old tight end, and spend that money elsewhere while looking into the draft while we have him currently signed? Like come on dude....

Play smart with our money, not emotional

Megatron96
11-13-2019, 06:48 PM
Kelce is probably the 2nd best tight end in the nfl, behind George Kittle.

Is it really the end of the world to say we shouldn’t resign a 30 year old tight end, and spend that money elsewhere while looking into the draft while we have him currently signed? Like come on dude....

Play smart with our money, not emotional

Curious. Do fast, big, great hands, clutch TEs grow on trees where you live?

TEX
11-13-2019, 06:52 PM

Exactly! Stupid hot takes make people look stupid.

Megatron96
11-13-2019, 06:52 PM
I forgot; Tom Brady has also always had an exceptional slot receiver.

TripleThreat
11-13-2019, 06:53 PM

Can I say no? Like I know what you are saying, I also 100% agree with your post #8. My point being is if we keep Kelce on another contract, pay hill, and then pay Mahomes, how much money do we have left to pay for an O-line to give us help with rushing the ball and protecting our qb? Then after that, how much money do we have left over for our defense? I’m in no way saying Kelce isn’t bad, and won’t be good in a few years, it’s a matter of damage control, is it worth it? And I simply say no. Get a low cost proven veteran (reliable) rookie running backs to run the ball, hill (pay him) Mahomes (pay him) after that, bolster the offensive line and get a defense that can get us through the dance and get us the ball back when we need it most and put it back in Mahomes hands

Hammock Parties
11-13-2019, 06:54 PM
The only two players maybe worth the buy on our team is Kelce and hill, but we cannot keep or pay both, especially once we pay Mahomes.

Kelce 2020 salary: $10.5 million

Hill 2020 salary: $17.6 million

Chiefs 2020 cap room after cutting Sammy Watkins: $38 million

You buffoon

TEX
11-13-2019, 06:55 PM
Pay your offense playmakers and draft your defense. I've stated this several times. Your defense doesn't need to have the experience so much and younger means faster and cheaper.

:clap:
Ding!...Ding!....Ding! We have a winner!
Too bad KC fucked that up last off season. Going forward that should be the plan.

Megatron96
11-13-2019, 06:56 PM
Can I say no? Like I know what you are saying, I also 100% agree with your post #8. My point being is if we keep Kelce on another contract, pay hill, and then pay Mahomes, how much money do we have left to pay for an O-line to give us help with rushing the ball and protecting our qb? Then after that, how much money do we have left over for our defense? I’m in no way saying Kelce isn’t bad, and won’t be good in a few years, it’s a matter of damage control, is it worth it? And I simply say no. Get a low cost proven veteran (reliable) rookie running backs to run the ball, hill (pay him) Mahomes (pay him) after that, bolster the offensive line and get a defense that can get us through the dance and get us the ball back when we need it most and put it back in Mahomes hands

You just said we don't need a great OL.

And I'm not talking about money; I'm simply explaining how our offense works, how the Patriots offense/defense works, their commonalities, and therefore why your argument ultimately is flawed.

TEX
11-13-2019, 06:56 PM

You buffoon
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Very well said sir!

T-post Tom
11-13-2019, 07:00 PM
Kelce is signed for the next two years at a bargain salary. His production is better than most wide receivers. Why you would even consider getting rid of him right now makes no sense.

RealSNR
11-13-2019, 07:01 PM
Don't ditch your great players just because they're expensive. That's not too fucking hard to figure out.

We're a different team without Hill and Kelce. Period. We'd still have Mahomes, but if he ever went out, man, both of those guys sure do a nice job of making sure the offense doesn't tank.

More importantly, don't ditch players like Hill and Kelce all so you can hand out contracts to more Frank Clarks, Anthony Hitchens, and Tyrann Mathieus. That's the height of idiocy.

Belichick will tell you just as much.

TripleThreat
11-13-2019, 07:02 PM

You buffoon

I don’t see Mahomes in there. Also we haven’t signed hill to a long term contract yet....

Chiefshrink
11-13-2019, 07:06 PM
You want a SB team, you need a really good OL.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

I've been banging this drum for 10yrs and really really loudly these last 4yrs.;)

Hammock Parties
11-13-2019, 07:07 PM
I don’t see Mahomes in there. Also we haven’t signed hill to a long term contract yet....

So?

Mahomes isn't going to have a $38 million cap hit next season.

Relax.

Megatron96
11-13-2019, 07:07 PM

I thought we just signed Tyreek to a new contract? 64 million seems to ring a bell . . .

TripleThreat
11-13-2019, 07:13 PM
So?

Mahomes isn't going to have a $38 million cap hit next season.

Relax.

The op isn’t about today, it’s about the future and moving forward and how we should handle things in the next few years aka when Kelce is 32 and Mahomes wants his contract.

I know you are good at critical thinking when u want to be. U got this.

TripleThreat
11-13-2019, 07:14 PM
You just said we don't need a great OL.

And I'm not talking about money; I'm simply explaining how our offense works, how the Patriots offense/defense works, their commonalities, and therefore why your argument ultimately is flawed.

I NEVER said we don’t need a great o line, also we don’t need a great, we need a good/above average o-line...

Again let’s not put words in peoples’ mouths. Go have a drink and come back

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
11-13-2019, 07:16 PM
I thought we just signed Tyreek to a new contract? 64 million seems to ring a bell . . .

He is here for 3 more years after this season but he will get another long term contract when it’s up

Hammock Parties
11-13-2019, 07:18 PM
The op isn’t about today, it’s about the future and moving forward and how we should handle things in the next few years aka when Kelce is 32 and Mahomes wants his contract.

I know you are good at critical thinking when u want to be. U got this.

kelce and tyreek are under contract through 2021...reek through 2022

i'm gonna guess kelce isn't going to cost as much at 33 as you think

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
11-13-2019, 07:19 PM

Probably 10 mil a year

TripleThreat
11-13-2019, 07:21 PM

Oh ok, I didn’t realize that. Still what do you think moving forward? I still feel we should focus more on Mahomes/hill for the next 10years, and then focus on o-line and defense most of all after that... obviously the best course to winning a bowl is drafting correctly.

Chiefshrink
11-13-2019, 07:27 PM
He is here for 3 more years after this season but he will get another long term contract when it’s up

And let's hope he keeps his speed well into his mid to maybe late 30's like Darrell Green did. That guy was still a 4.3 guy well into his mid-thirties. Imagine TH staying 4.2 to 4.3 into his mid-thirties.:drool:

chiefzilla1501
11-13-2019, 08:02 PM

We'd be in the super bowl if our defense was average. We'd be close to undefeated if our D was average. It shouldn't be much to ask for a DC to build an average defense with so so talent to support an elite offense. And to ask our GM to load our D with just enough draft players to make it work. If they can't, that's on the DC and GM. Spags has enough talent or at least veach invested enough for the D to not be this bad.

But Aaron Rodgers and Peyton and luck turned into turnstiles once they lost cap space. Id prefer that not to happen to mahomes.

Megatron96
11-13-2019, 08:12 PM
I NEVER said we don’t need a great o line, also we don’t need a great, we need a good/above average o-line...

Again let’s not put words in peoples’ mouths. Go have a drink and come back

Really good offensive linemen don't grow on trees either, or every team would have one. Finding really good OLs is in fact getting harder as more and more colleges go towards some kind of Air Raid-style offense.

Furthermore, you also need a really good OL coach; we've all seen talented young OLs that sucked because someone hired a crappy OL coach.

chiefforlife
11-13-2019, 09:13 PM
Its weird you would hold up examples of 49rs and Patriots and say let go of your stud TE.

49rs = George Kittle
Patriots = Gronk, their offense hasnt looked nearly as good without him.

But Yes, we do need an above average Defense. Good call

TripleThreat
11-13-2019, 09:24 PM
Its weird you would hold up examples of 49rs and Patriots and say let go of your stud TE.

49rs = George Kittle
Patriots = Gronk, their offense hasnt looked nearly as good without him.

But Yes, we do need an above average Defense. Good call

Without gronk, they are 8-1, with theoretically the best defense in football, even though the 49ers seem to have a superior front, so again, maybe their offense looks "not nearly as good" but not nearly as good doesn't seem to matter when your defense is performing as their defense is, which is exactly my point.

Also, the 49ers won't let go of Kittle because they don't have a Tyreek on their team which is also my point in regards to Kelce/Tyreek.

chiefforlife
11-13-2019, 09:34 PM
Without gronk, they are 8-1, with theoretically the best defense in football, even though the 49ers seem to have a superior front, so again, maybe their offense looks "not nearly as good" but not nearly as good doesn't seem to matter when your defense is performing as their defense is, which is exactly my point.

Also, the 49ers won't let go of Kittle because they don't have a Tyreek on their team which is also my point in regards to Kelce/Tyreek.

No but they traded for Emanual Sanders and drafted Deebo Samual because you need more than a great D.

Those teams are winning because of their TOP defenses but they still need to have an offense to go with it. You need BOTH!

chiefforlife
11-13-2019, 09:35 PM
Also why New England went after Antonio Brown and traded for Sanu

Imon Yourside
11-13-2019, 10:15 PM
What we really need is a great coach.

BossChief
11-13-2019, 10:17 PM
Pretty cool to think we will be able to keep the band together the next few years and utilize the draft to strengthen other positions.

Mahomes is here the next 15 years.
Hill is here through 2022
Kelce is here through 2021
Hardman through 2022
Fisher through 2021
Schwartz through 2021

This offense is going to be dynamic the next few years with very little further investment.

They can probably use every first and second round pick on the defense the next 2-3 years and draft some interior offensive linemen and a difference making back in the middle rounds and be ultra stacked on defense.

Hammock Parties
11-13-2019, 10:20 PM
Pretty cool to think we will be able to keep the band together the next few years and utilize the draft to strengthen other positions.

Mahomes is here the next 15 years.
Hill is here through 2022
Kelce is here through 2021
Hardman through 2022
Fisher through 2021
Schwartz through 2021

This offense is going to be dynamic the next few years with very little further investment.

They can probably use every first and second round pick on the defense the next 2-3 years and draft some interior offensive linemen and a difference making back in the middle rounds and be ultra stacked on defense.

Enjoy the journey...

Imon Yourside
11-13-2019, 10:26 PM
We have the best Offensive coordinator in the league in Andy Reid just need a HC.

BossChief
11-13-2019, 10:40 PM
Here are the pieces on defense that we have under contract through 2021:

Khalen Saunders
Juan Thornhill
Frank Clark
Chavarious Ward (RFA in 2021)
Derrick Nnadi
Tyrann Matheiu
Anthony Hitchens
Alex Oakafor
Breeland Speaks

Hopefully we add Jones to that list of guys we have signed through 2021 and Daly/House/Merritt/Madison can coach up the guys we have here.

Add a couple first rounders and a couple second rounders to that defensive group, it should be respectable and maybe even pretty good.

lcarus
11-13-2019, 10:47 PM
What we need is to stockpile draft picks and hit on our drafted players. Young, hungry players on rookie contracts is where it's at. Find diamond in the rough QBs and showcase them in blowouts, preseason games and end of season rest games when possible. Then trade them for 1st and 2nd picks from dumb desperate teams.