PDA

View Full Version : Science Ford Motor Company - Mustang SUV and all electric at $45k

Mephistopheles Janx
11-18-2019, 10:25 AM
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/17/business/ford-mustang-electric-suv.html

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2019/11/18/reader-center/18MUSTANGpageone/merlin_164580282_acb0cbd0-3b23-4e42-a3cf-fe195948ebab-superJumbo.jpg

I'm all for Ford getting into the all electric game and doing something to compete with Tesla... but why use the Mustang badge on an electric SUV???

Kman34
11-18-2019, 10:27 AM
Ugly..

DaFace
11-18-2019, 10:27 AM
They're going all in on SUVs, so I guess if they wanted the Mustang brand to live on, this is what it had to be. Does seem weird though.

Skyy God
11-18-2019, 10:28 AM
Sullies the reputation of great Mustangs like the II.

https://www.motor1.com/news/135176/worst-sports-cars-ford-mustang/

Rain Man
11-18-2019, 10:40 AM
That's not a Mustang.

TimeForWasp
11-18-2019, 10:45 AM
Doesn't even resemble a mustang in any way.

It looks like it got high center damage too.

Beef Supreme
11-18-2019, 10:56 AM
I like it. But I think a hybrid would be more useful.

Deberg_1990
11-18-2019, 11:09 AM
Looks like one one of those smaller SUVs designed to appeal to women.

Dante84
11-18-2019, 11:18 AM
The GT will have 460 hp

BryanBusby
11-18-2019, 11:21 AM
Need some better views to really get a gauge on how I feel about a Mustang SUV

BigBeauford
11-18-2019, 12:05 PM
I think it looks pretty nice. However the base model is 5k too expensive, with roughly 230 miles of range. Eligible for the credit, but I dont think this will be a better vehicle than a Tesla Model Y, considering that base has a higher range (300) and better charging network for 48k.

MahiMike
11-18-2019, 12:07 PM
Good looking non-Mustang.

Bewbies
11-18-2019, 12:20 PM
Super cool.

Halfcan
11-18-2019, 12:28 PM
I wonder if it slides into the ditch with the slightest amount of snowfall like other Mustangs?

RedRaider56
11-18-2019, 12:47 PM
Don't like how it looks in that picture at all

Garcia Bronco
11-18-2019, 12:47 PM
I don't see an SUV in the picture...

I see a hatchback.

Garcia Bronco
11-18-2019, 12:49 PM
I wonder if it slides into the ditch with the slightest amount of snowfall like other Mustangs?

That's because a mustang is a rear wheel drive vehicle...about the dumbest design for snow driving

Molitoth
11-18-2019, 12:51 PM
That's not a Mustang, and that's not an SUV.

That's an ugly looking crossover.

MahiMike
11-18-2019, 12:52 PM
Who's gonna trust Ford to come out with a EV? I'd wait about 5 iterations until they get the kinks worked out.

Chevy decided it couldn't compete w/Toyota and discontinued the Volt.

BWillie
11-18-2019, 01:00 PM
lol they should just let the mustang die. Mustang enthusiasts don't give a shit about an electric mustang

Donger
11-18-2019, 01:14 PM
Unlike most electric cars, the Mach-E even makes a distinctly audible sound because, Ford designers explained, sound is an important part of the Mustang experience. The Mach-E doesn't make a V8 burble, though. The artificially created sound, which can be heard both inside and outside the vehicle, varies to match the Mach-E's acceleration and speed, like an actual engine sound would. The Mach-E's sound resembles an amplified electric motor whir, but with a hint of a rumble.

stevieray
11-18-2019, 01:59 PM
It's sad how much the automoble industry has stolen from the consumer.

The inability to undo and customize and more importantly, eliminating individuality.

:shake:

Frazod
11-18-2019, 02:04 PM
So will they still make a regular Mustang, or just this abomination with a Mustang logo on the grill?

DaFace
11-18-2019, 02:06 PM
I don't see an SUV in the picture...

I see a hatchback.

It does seem like the word "SUV" is being used pretty liberally these days - particularly with EVs. Tesla's Model X is huge, but doesn't really look like an SUV to me. And the Model Y is definitely closer to a crossover and an SUV to me.

But what do we know? Apparently this is a Mustang, so... :shrug:

BryanBusby
11-18-2019, 02:42 PM
So will they still make a regular Mustang, or just this abomination with a Mustang logo on the grill?
Unless plans changed, I think the Mustang was supposed to be the only actual cars they offered.

Maybe they figured profit margins would be better if they turned the Mustang into a carbon copy of a lesbian Subaru? Idk

SuperBowl4
11-18-2019, 03:02 PM
It's still a FORD though. Not worth it.

lewdog
11-18-2019, 03:02 PM

Still will make the regular Mustang. Working on 900HP electric version....

ThyKingdomCome15
11-18-2019, 03:08 PM
I dont buy the hype on electric vehicles.

BigBeauford
11-18-2019, 03:10 PM

Outside of range anxiety, electric vehicles are better in almost every conceivable way.

Deberg_1990
11-18-2019, 03:18 PM
It's still a FORD though. Not worth it.

Factory
Ordered
Road
Disaster

MrCasual
11-18-2019, 03:19 PM
Outside of range anxiety, electric vehicles are better in almost every conceivable way.

Please explain how? Before you discuss pollution via combustion, research the materials used to make those battery packs for the electric cars. Electricity also costs money, those recharge stations are not cheap.

Bewbies
11-18-2019, 03:24 PM
Please explain how? Before you discuss pollution via combustion, research the materials used to make those battery packs for the electric cars. Electricity also costs money, those recharge stations are not cheap.

Faster, quieter, less maintenance required, can run AC/heat so car is ready for you when you get to it.

Tech is superior too.

DaFace
11-18-2019, 03:25 PM

Drive one. You'll understand. My little Nissan Leaf feels like I'm driving a race car compared to an ICE car, and it's nowhere near as zippy as other EVs.

Warpaint69
11-18-2019, 03:27 PM

Not to mention still plenty of areas in this country powered via coal plants, so you're still using a fossil fuel to charge batteries. You also have to expect that as the popularity and use of electric cars increases so will the price of electricity.

Mephistopheles Janx
11-18-2019, 03:29 PM

I didn't understand it either until I drove a P100D with ludicrous mode.

DaFace
11-18-2019, 03:30 PM
Not to mention still plenty of areas in this country powered via coal plants, so you're still using a fossil fuel to charge batteries.

True, but as the electric grid goes cleaner, electric cars become cleaner as well. A gas car will always be a gas car.

You also have to expect that as the popularity and use of electric cars increases so will the price of electricity.

Eh, that's a stretch. The cost of electricity is driven far more by the cost of producing it far more than the demand for it. And building a new house that didn't exist before uses around 10x as much electricity as one car.

BigBeauford
11-18-2019, 03:31 PM

Fewer Moving Parts (leading to significant savings in cost of ownership)
On Demand Torque
3x cheaper cost to fuel
Better weight distribution leading to better driving dynamics
Over the air updates to improve vehicle operations
Quiet Drive

As for the "batteries are worse for the planet" argument, that's been wholly debunked.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jalopnik.com/enough-with-the-actually-electric-cars-pollute-more-bu-1834338565/amp

Coyote
11-18-2019, 04:11 PM
All so, for the most part about electrics but just a matter of taste. I had a 2013 Tesla S as my commuter car. It had no soul. It was great and the flat torque was deceptively quick with all the comfort features but on weekends I needed a car with soul.

I traded it last summer.
Don’t get in a stop light to stop light Grand Prix with one. Roll it on, on the highway if you’ve got a motor.

Well, technically an engine. It’s got a motor. But we always called turbine after burning engines “motors.”

Bugeater
11-18-2019, 04:16 PM
Looks like my wife's CX-5

bowener
11-18-2019, 04:27 PM
With it being an SUV, why would they not just name it the Bronco?

Mephistopheles Janx
11-18-2019, 04:43 PM
Looks like my wife's CX-5

I couldn't help but think of how much it looks like a Mazda.

Mephistopheles Janx
11-18-2019, 04:44 PM

Ford has a new Bronco coming out.

https://www.motor1.com/news/133270/new-ford-bronco-facts/

Hydrae
11-18-2019, 04:52 PM

Because (the) Broncos suck!

bowener
11-18-2019, 05:03 PM
I'm impatiently awaiting the Tesla Truck reveal this week. It sounds like it is going to be a monstrous thing that looks crazy. I want that. I want cars to look crazy and not like boring bulbous fucking turds. I understand part of that is because of safety regulations, and also because most americans have zero taste or much interest in aesthetics, but come the fuck on, we can 3D print shit now in nearly all mediums.

Give me an electric car with a see through cover like a lambo, but it shows some sort of insane tesla coil throwing off arcs or some shit.

DaFace
11-18-2019, 05:04 PM
I'm impatiently awaiting the Tesla Truck reveal this week. It sounds like it is going to be a monstrous thing that looks crazy. I want that. I want cars to look crazy and not like boring bulbous fucking turds. I understand part of that is because of safety regulations, and also because most americans have zero taste or much interest in aesthetics, but come the fuck on, we can 3D print shit now in nearly all mediums.

Give me an electric car with a see through cover like a lambo, but it shows some sort of insane tesla coil throwing off arcs or some shit.

I'm curious about it, but I have a suspicion it's gonna be stupidly expensive for what it is. Granted, people will pay a fuck ton of money for a pickup.

el borracho
11-18-2019, 06:44 PM
Early Mustang fastbacks were supercool and I've always liked the look of the 1970 Volvo P1800 wagons, so I think it is possible to make a sporty, 4 door suv Mustang. Not sure they got the aesthetics right this time around, though. Back end looks cool, but the front looks just like a Mazda.

Megatron96
11-18-2019, 06:51 PM
I'm impatiently awaiting the Tesla Truck reveal this week. It sounds like it is going to be a monstrous thing that looks crazy. I want that. I want cars to look crazy and not like boring bulbous ****ing turds. I understand part of that is because of safety regulations, and also because most americans have zero taste or much interest in aesthetics, but come the **** on, we can 3D print shit now in nearly all mediums.

City people that buy pick-ups for cool factor might be interested in an electric P/U, but the vast majority of farmers and ranchers or people like myself that spend a lot of time in the woods and mountains probably won't be. Cost will be a big factor.

For myself, I'm not interested in trying to drive a battery-powered pick-up through and/or down streams, up and down mountain goat trails 100 miles from the nearest paved road. Thanks but no thanks.

TribalElder
11-18-2019, 06:55 PM
ugly.af , send it to the glue factory and start over ROFL

Mephistopheles Janx
11-18-2019, 07:07 PM
City people that buy pick-ups for cool factor might be interested in an electric P/U, but the vast majority of farmers and ranchers or people like myself that spend a lot of time in the woods and mountains probably won't be. Cost will be a big factor.

For myself, I'm not interested in trying to drive a battery-powered pick-up through and/or down streams, up and down mountain goat trails 100 miles from the nearest paved road. Thanks but no thanks.

I would love an electric Ford Ranger. I live in Rayville any my house is exactly 15 minutes from anything. I would be able to use it all through my property, go fishing, load up a deer, I can load up my trees, and never have to drive 15 minutes to get gasoline. Just keep that fucker charged at home and off we go. 230 miles gets me to KC and back for games and BBQ.

Outside of how much it would cost... it would be the ideal vehicle for a homesteader like me.

Megatron96
11-18-2019, 07:10 PM
I would love an electric Ford Ranger. I live in Rayville any my house is exactly 15 minutes from anything. I would be able to use it all through my property, go fishing, load up a deer, I can load up my trees, and never have to drive 15 minutes to get gasoline. Just keep that ****er charged at home and off we go. 230 miles gets me to KC and back for games and BBQ.

Outside of how much it would cost... it would be the ideal vehicle for a homesteader like me.

Let me guess. Flat, maybe some dirt roads. No volcanic rocks sticking up out of the bottom of a creekbed or the mountain trails just waiting to poke a hole in the battery covers.

Mephistopheles Janx
11-18-2019, 07:16 PM
Let me guess. Flat, maybe some dirt roads. No volcanic rocks sticking up out of the bottom of a creekbed or the mountain trails just waiting to poke a hole in the battery covers.

You just described most farmers and ranchers in Missouri with flat dirt roads and no volcanic rocks sticking up out of the bottom of a creekbed. As for mountain trails, assuming charging at a mobile station, I would definitely take something like that on a trail in the Ozarks.

Mind you, I wouldn't be trying to rock crawl with this thing or treat it like an H1.