PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Does your home have a pool or hot tub?

Rain Man
11-29-2019, 07:30 PM
I'm watching "Lottery Winner Home Buyers" or some such thing on HGTV. The couple is in Miami, and the homes all have swimming pools.

Swimming pools seem nice in concept, but I kind of wonder how much long-term quality of life they offer. A back yard swimming pool is not big enough to swim laps, I think. So if you have a pool, how do you use it? (If you live in an apartment or condo, you can consider a common-area pool to be your pool.)

And is maintenance a hassle?

When I bought my house, I took a long look at a house that had a pool. But in the end it didn't win me over.

Same questions for hot tubs, though I have no expectations off swimming laps in a hot tub.

Backyard pools are sure beautiful, though. When they show a house with a swimming pool, I ooh and aah. If I had a pool big enough to do laps in, and it was shallow enough for me to not drown, and if maintenance was easy, I'd want one.

TribalElder
11-29-2019, 07:32 PM
In Florida most houses have pools in the back yard that are also enclosed in plexiglass or someshit making it like a greenhouse so you can enjoy them year round

in KC area a pool would only be good half the year and be a liability the other half (assuming in ground)

TribalElder
11-29-2019, 07:33 PM
Never understood why the enclosed pool trend didn't take off as a thing around here

example
https://www.poolpricer.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/pool-screen-enclosure.jpg

Dartgod
11-29-2019, 07:35 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HYGzhCtFt9E" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JD10367
11-29-2019, 07:37 PM
I have a decent sized in ground. Maintenance isn’t bad if you’re lazy and don’t give a shit; I don’t worry about pH and all that other crap, I just dump a liter of liquid chlorine a day (runs me about $20 a week). Repairs and electricity is a different story; it’s cost me thousands to replace a motor, electrical lines, and fix leaks, and it adds at least $100 to the monthly electric bill. You could do laps in it but the stupid part is, I can’t swim. I just bob around on pool noodles drinking beer.

Rain Man
11-29-2019, 07:38 PM
I've been noticing the prevalence of enclosed pools, particularly in Florida. Is that to protect against bugs or rain or ... or hurricanes or something?

Rain Man
11-29-2019, 07:38 PM
I have a decent sized in ground. Maintenance isn’t bad if you’re lazy and don’t give a shit; I don’t worry about pH and all that other crap, I just dump a liter of liquid chlorine a day (runs me about $20 a week). Repairs and electricity is a different story; it’s cost me thousands to replace a motor, electrical lines, and fix leaks, and it adds at least $100 to the monthly electric bill. You could do laps in it but the stupid part is, I can’t swim. I just bob around on pool noodles drinking beer.

So are you glad you have it, or do you kind of wish you didn't?

KCUnited
11-29-2019, 07:39 PM
Gators, mosquitoes

BigRedChief
11-29-2019, 07:40 PM
I pay a company $125 a month to take care of the pool and jacuzzi. My wife uses the pool for exercise. We use it for parties and entertainment with friends. I use the hot tub to help recovery after a great workout.

TribalElder
11-29-2019, 07:41 PM
I've been noticing the prevalence of enclosed pools, particularly in Florida. Is that to protect against bugs or rain or ... or hurricanes or something?

I believe there is a law which requires a 4 foot protection barrier so naturally the enclosures popped up to profit off the upsell is my guess

That's the only thing I could find. The enclosure would also provide anti bugs, anti rain, anti etc.

Rain Man
11-29-2019, 07:41 PM
I kind of think that a pool would be nice if I was in a big condo complex where the pool is large. But I don't think I'd really want one in my private home. It seems like maintenance and liability would outweigh the benefits.

I go out to a timeshare in California every year, and it's got several huge pools. I like going to the pool and hanging out, even though I find a shady spot and don't often swim.

I never really liked hot tubs until a couple of years ago, and now I kind of like them. Again, I may be too lazy to do the maintenance on a private one, but the timeshare in California has them and I'll use them occasionally.

Rain Man
11-29-2019, 07:43 PM
I believe there is a law which requires a 4 foot protection barrier so naturally the enclosures popped up to profit off the upsell is my guess

That's the only thing I could find. The enclosure would also provide anti bugs, anti rain, anti etc.

Good point. Enclosed would certainly minimize your liability if some kid or disoriented senior citizen wanders into your yard. It may be environmentally wrong, but you could also air condition it.

Rain Man
11-29-2019, 07:44 PM
I pay a company $125 a month to take care of the pool and jacuzzi. My wife uses the pool for exercise. We use it for parties and entertainment with friends. I use the hot tub to help recovery after a great workout.

Now that you mention it, I guess a person could jog in a small private pool. I would like doing that.

BigRedChief
11-29-2019, 07:50 PM
Now that you mention it, I guess a person could jog in a small private pool. I would like doing that.she does some jogging routine in the pool.

KCUnited
11-29-2019, 07:50 PM
I don't really understand the premise of that show either. People win, this guy comes in, acts all happy for them, finds out what they have to spend and want in a home, then hooks up with a local realtor for a list of properties.

TribalElder
11-29-2019, 07:52 PM
I don't really understand the premise of that show either. People win, this guy comes in, acts all happy for them, finds out what they have to spend and want in a home, then hooks up with a local realtor for a list of properties.

That guy is the real lottery winner

he travels all over the place making big real estate commissions for new money lottery winners ROFL

Rain Man
11-29-2019, 07:58 PM

Yeah, it's a simple premise. I like architecture and home design, so I like seeing the houses and what you can get for your money in different areas. The lottery win premise adds to my enjoyment because it produces a wide range of people looking for a wide range of houses. The similar shows that have people looking at houses always seem to have similar demographics that get monotonous.

ThaVirus
11-29-2019, 08:01 PM
In Florida most houses have pools in the back yard that are also enclosed in plexiglass or someshit making it like a greenhouse so you can enjoy them year round

in KC area a pool would only be good half the year and be a liability the other half (assuming in ground)

I've never seen plexiglass. It's typically just mesh, like a screen door. Doesn't protect against rain but certainly helps keeping bugs, debris and critters out of your pool area.

KCUnited
11-29-2019, 08:02 PM
I like seeing the homes in different areas as well. I guess most lottery players might actually someone to come in and help them find a realtor.

candyman
11-29-2019, 08:05 PM

I didn't know you were black

Rain Man
11-29-2019, 08:11 PM
I like seeing the homes in different areas as well. I guess most lottery players might actually someone to come in and help them find a realtor.

Yeah, that's another thing I like. They'll end up in some kind of obscure places because someone will live Alabama or Delaware and want to stay there. And the people are interesting too. Most seem to be pretty responsible with their winnings, based on their price range. But I'll see some occasionally where I think, "Yeah, they're going to be foreclosing on that house in five years."

Rain Man
11-29-2019, 08:34 PM
Oh, they're in southeast Missouri now, meeting with a cute MILFy woman. I didn't hear how much she won, but she wants 1,500 square feet for a budget of $150,000 to $200,000. She's looking at Sikeston, Missouri, which has an average home price of $122,000. So she's going to be living large.

BlackHelicopters
11-29-2019, 08:47 PM
Pool and hot tub. Best money I ever spent. Except my Corvette.

BucEyedPea
11-29-2019, 08:50 PM

Never seen one with plexiglass around here, but we do have what we call a bird cage surrounding the pools—like the one in your second post with the picture.

I think rich people have the glassed in ones so they can use all year—but many also have a heated pool.

BucEyedPea
11-29-2019, 09:00 PM

They blow away in hurricanes—well at least the screens get blown-out where I live, but we usually miss the really bad canes. They do keep out bugs as well as leaves etc. They protect against the sun too. I don't know why but I have to go outside my pool cage to tan myself or get any color.

I choose pool no hot-tub, the latter which I am glad I don't have. Bacteria. I have at times hated having a pool but now that I have resurfaced it as of this past May I am glad I have it again.

I just hate taking care of it when it's barely in use. In the summer months, I like to get 20 minutes non-stop swimming in it about 3 times a week—mild swimming like breast stroke, side stroke with some intermittent crawl.

And use it when I have guests. But it gets so under-used with no kids here that it's a bit of a wasted expense.

kcxiv
11-29-2019, 09:03 PM
nope, but my neighbor has 1 and i use it anytime i want! i just walk over there open the gate and go swimming! lol

displacedinMN
11-29-2019, 09:04 PM
I have a friend with a pool. Electricity is high. Costs of filling it is terrible because you get charged for water and sewer even though most of it does not ever go in the sewer.

Here-it can be used from about May-Oct. Not sure it is worth the investment in cold climates.

lewdog
11-29-2019, 09:18 PM
Pool here. Wouldn’t live here without one. For cooling off, entertaining and drinking booze. Helps as focal points of yards here too for landscape purpose.

Coogs
11-29-2019, 09:23 PM
My landlord, when I was in college back in the 1980's, had a pool and a hot tub at his residence. We had access to his pool and hot tub whenever we wanted to, day or night, all year long. 12 months a year on the hot tub. Probably 7 months a year on the pool. Hays, Kansas. Only stipulation was is that he be included in the festivities.

Oh my!!! The good times we had at 1:00 to 2:00 in the AM when the bars closed! Memories!!!

And yes, there were some damn fine looking gals in Hays, Kansas in the 1980's looking to swim/hot tub at 1:00 to 2:00 in the AM!

Spott
11-29-2019, 09:28 PM
I’ve had inground pools at three different houses in Florida. They are mostly just a lot of work, although I do like to hop in on occasion. When things break in the pool system, they can be a real pain in the butt to fix.

Why Not?
11-29-2019, 09:46 PM
AZ so yes, I have a pool. But we filled in our hot tub and built a gazebo area with fire pit. We’re just not the “hot tub” type, whatever that means. But love the pool. Hippo out in it most summer days.

BryanBusby
11-29-2019, 10:01 PM
I have a friend with a pool. Electricity is high. Costs of filling it is terrible because you get charged for water and sewer even though most of it does not ever go in the sewer.

Here-it can be used from about May-Oct. Not sure it is worth the investment in cold climates.
Does your friend know that they can get the sewer portion of it adjusted if it's for filling a pool? Well obviously not, but I would call the city back when I had one and they would adjust the bill for me.

ghak99
11-29-2019, 10:06 PM
We have one of those backyard pools, but I really don't like paying to maintain it so I just drain a little out every now and then and steal a foot or two of fresh water from my neighbors pool at night.

oldman
11-29-2019, 10:56 PM
My sister has had 3 houses in Florida, all with pools. I never could see the reason to have one in 2 of the places since they were within a couple miles of some pretty nice beaches, but the place they have now is 2 1/2 hours from a nice beach so I guess that makes sense. I have a hot tub and that was one of the worst investments I've ever made. It takes a lot of maintenance and it just isn't worth it in the summer.

Imon Yourside
11-29-2019, 11:04 PM
Have a nice in ground pool, costs are decent if you know what to use/buy. Our pool heater was placing copper stains around the top of the lining. Our only option was a $40 a bottle specialized treatment. Turns out Vitamin C tabs remove it just fine, cost is about $5 a season (about 5 months) and scrubbing with a tablet. Love the pool swim in it everyday its open as its wonderful excercise, hate the fact I can only use it 5 months tops out of the year.

Mike in SW-MO
11-29-2019, 11:08 PM
Pool is great for kids. Your place is the hangout.

tooge
11-29-2019, 11:18 PM
No pool. I have a pond though. Pool, pond, pond be good for you

cooper barrett
11-29-2019, 11:31 PM
I have had lots of pools. Above ground, in ground, tap water, well water, and salt water. all require daily work or expensive services.

Now I have a private community swimming lagoon and use it a few times a year for parties and to just walk out on a hot day and walk off the dock. Or it's well stocked <perk>

I have owned lots of hot tubs from POS's to units that had bells and whistles that required a second mortgage. I have owned Hot Springs brand units almost exclusively for 25 years and my latest salt water unit is as easy as drain, clean, and refill every month: an hour tops.

I spend an hour a day in it when my leg allows but my SO has friends over all the time. It's worth the price for that alone.

Hot Springs tubs never look old but they have a 5 year limit and they needing relays and modules. When that happens it's like getting your first estimate for a valve cover gasket, coils and plugs for a 3.2 BMW.
Draining a tub and diagnosing a fault in mid winter ****ing sucks. Modules are proprietary and like gold so I try to sell them before they go out of their warranties

I do not think I will ever have a pool again or be without a tub

Plus you can take it with you.

dj56dt58
11-29-2019, 11:41 PM
We have a hot tub..easy to take care of. Great for getting chicks naked which eventually Leads To threesomes

philfree
11-30-2019, 12:19 AM
I've had both for almost 20 years. My pool is just big enough to swim laps in. 33'. Besides that you can catch some rays in the summer and then cool off or do so after mowing the yard or playing golf. It's great for kids and now grandkids. You can cool off after being in the hot tub!

The Hot Tub? Or is it a Spa? I'm on my second one. The first one lasted a good 15 years before it got a leak that was going to be hard to find and fix. That tub saved me. I was suffering from bad neck and back spasms. The doc had me on generic flexeril. At first I was glad to get it but then I hated that drug. So I got a hot tub and one night I took a half of pill and got in the tub. I got the water jets just in the right place and all the tension in my back and neck dissolved. It was a heavenly experience. After that I was able to get off the muscle relaxers and it was rejuvenating. I love my Hot Springs Spa.

Imon Yourside
11-30-2019, 12:21 AM
I've had both for almost 20 years. My pool is just big enough to swim laps in. 33'. Besides that you can catch some rays in the summer and then cool off or do so after mowing the yard or playing golf. It's great for kids and now grandkids. You can cool off after being in the hot tub!

The Hot Tub? Or is it a Spa? I'm on my second one. The first one lasted a good 15 years before it got a leak that was going to be hard to find and fix. That tub saved me. I was suffering from bad neck and back spasms. The doc had me on generic flexeril. At first I was glad to get it but then I hated that drug. So I got a hot tub and one night I took a half of pill and got in the tub. I got the water jets just in the right place and all the tension in my back and neck dissolved. It was a heavenly experience. After that I was able to get off the muscle relaxers and it was rejuvenating. I love my Hot Springs Spa.

Ya i'm jealous, do you use yours year round(hot tub)?

philfree
11-30-2019, 12:35 AM
Ya i'm jealous, do you use yours year round(hot tub)?

Yeah I do. It's always a great experience to sit in the tub while it's snowing.

JD10367
11-30-2019, 01:19 AM
So are you glad you have it, or do you kind of wish you didn't?

I liked the idea of it but it’s a pain in the ass. I wish it was about half the size, and heated and enclosed. As is, I can only use it June, July, and August; enclosed, I’d at least get my money’s worth.

DaNewGuy
11-30-2019, 04:22 AM
I usually wait till my neighbor goes on vacation and just use his pool..I use a pool for 2 days in a row I'm good for a year

HemiEd
11-30-2019, 05:48 AM
No pool, but our hot tub is a true pleasure. From fall to spring, I hit it for at least 20 minutes almost daily.
Summertime, not so much.

REDHOTGTO
11-30-2019, 06:20 AM
I have an above ground pool, easy to maintain if ya do a little every day
we also have an indoor hot tub its wonderful to go for a dip most mornings before work, life is good

cooper barrett
11-30-2019, 06:55 AM
How do you deal with the humidity? I had a friend who had a 18 x 18 ft room and stuff started growing on everything starting in the corners.

I have an above ground pool, easy to maintain if ya do a little every day
we also have an indoor hot tub its wonderful to go for a dip most mornings before work, life is good

InChiefsHeaven
11-30-2019, 07:48 AM
Every summer I am always tempted to put in a pool because of the relentless Midwest heat and humidity...then I remember the pool we had growing up. It was above ground (probably what I'd be able to afford if I were to put one in) and it seemed all I did was vacuum it and skim it every friggin' day. It was a TON of work.

Nowadays, it seems there are automatic vacuums that you can get, the motors for the filter system are probably more efficient and better quality...but...

...fuck that.

Scooter LaCanforno
11-30-2019, 08:02 AM
I had a hot Tub for 10 years. I consider it a total waste of money. I now have a house on the beach in Central Florida that has a non heated 32' pool. I can use the pool from the end of April to early October. Non covered so I have to clean it after thunderstorms or Hurricanes. I find Rats, Bugs, Snakes, Frogs and Lizards in the Pool. The Dog takes care of the Rats and Snakes as soon as we find them. During the Winter I go to an Outdoor public 25-meter Salt Water Pool that is hardly used, and they keep it at 85 degrees all the time. I don't swim laps due to recent knee injuries, but I do resistance exercises for 1.5 hours. It's nice to be able to exercise in a weightless environment with the knee and back injuries.

DaNewGuy
11-30-2019, 08:04 AM
Do you guys pee in your pools?

MIAdragon
11-30-2019, 08:05 AM
Pool and hot tub. Best money I ever spent. Except my Corvette.

I see you are wise with your money.

lawrenceRaider
11-30-2019, 08:13 AM
I am thankful not to have a pool or hot tub. We actually have both built into our back yard that a former owner filled in. So we get the benefit of a huge back patio without the aggravation of a pool/hot tub to take care of.

Though I do have to say it is nearly perfectly set up for a future reno into a European style natural swimming pool with the side pool as the old hot tub.

https://returntonow.net/2018/08/12/why-europes-natural-swimming-pool-trend-is-coming-to-america/

burt
11-30-2019, 09:19 AM
We have a shower. I use it daily.

BigRedChief
11-30-2019, 09:40 AM
My sister has had 3 houses in Florida, all with pools. I never could see the reason to have one in 2 of the places since they were within a couple miles of some pretty nice beaches, but the place they have now is 2 1/2 hours from a nice beach so I guess that makes sense. I have a hot tub and that was one of the worst investments I've ever made. It takes a lot of maintenance and it just isn't worth it in the summer.I live 15 minutes from some of the best beaches in the world. One doesn't have anything to do with the other. Like the people that live in AZ, a pool is essential to enjoy where you live when it feels like 105 degrees outside. Your thinking like a tourist. We live day to day lives too. Spending 30-45 minutes every day to get to some cold water is not practical. #firstworldproblems

DeepPurple
11-30-2019, 09:43 AM
Here in central Florida in my community The Villages, it is made up of about 80 villages with 800 to 1500 homes in each village. Each village has a neighborhood pool for the residents, must be 30 or older to use, no one under 19 can live here and 80% of the homeowners must be 55 or older by law. So having a pool limited to adults only makes sense. Here's our neighborhood pool.

https://www.floridarentals.com/assets/properties/1817/tn1_81672582415307181320.jpg

We also have recreation centers, about 25 of them scattered about which have family pools, mostly for people to take guests like now. Yesterday I ate out and saw a lot of young people, something we almost never see. We also have 12 championship (27 hole layouts) country clubs and they have pools. Those cost $200 a year to join, that way it's kind of private even from other residents. If all this wasn't enough, I would estimate out of the 60,000 homes in The Villages, probably 20,000 have private pools, and all must have birdcages since fences aren't allowed. In Florida a pool must be enclosed with a fence or birdcage.

I don't have a pool but I did when I lived in Pensacola, actually two homes I had one. We didn't have birdcages in the panhandle of Florida, fenced yards were the norm. I had a vinyl pool which is very popular in that area, and yet here in central Florida concrete pools dominate and are much more expensive. I found taking care of a pool was rather easy. I would check both of the skimmer baskets daily for any debris, mostly pine needles. Replace the chlorine cartridge about every 3 weeks in the automatic chlorinator. Run the hand net across the surface for any floating debris and backwash the pool filter about once a week. I might spend 5 to 10 minutes a day on the pool, certainly not worth paying someone.

Here is a photo of my first vinyl pool that I had at my home in 1979 in Pensacola, total cost for this 16X32' pool was $5,000. I sold the home two years later and built another home, I was general contractor on my home, that was something I did on side, saved a lot of money. The next home I had the same pool builder and we had an 18x36' pool with diving board, underwater lights, steps, ladder and more decking and total cost in 1981 was $7700. I don't have a photo of that pool. I know this was 40 years ago, but still the prices they're getting here for concrete pools is ridiculous, $50,000 and up.

https://scontent-mia3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/66832660_1342399202591275_4335892768053264384_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ohc=DHGVC3bz9bgAQkFi-79Zt0_r1EJTCJKTHz_2_Busd7UfXCsdEn69l_sqA&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-1.xx&oh=3e274ee500a605e1ad44533afd5fef15&oe=5E440CB1

For those who say a vinyl pool is not as good and will not last. For one thing, the savings in the price is well worth giving it a try. Here's that same pool almost 35 years later, a 2012 photo I found on zillow when the house was for sale.

https://scontent-mia3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/67188022_1342400239257838_5908770260693024768_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ohc=A_buFrxqg7gAQmLJbfU4PfM2UrnV8i9fauMRaXQysa1GNwjV2jBiccEjA&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-1.xx&oh=36e95720818eb19b5d84b92d83b36295&oe=5E7ABC37

fan4ever
11-30-2019, 09:56 AM
I think a pool is a stage of life thing. We're older, kids grown and it gets very little use. Now it's just a maintenance hassle. However, even when it was used more it was still a hassle. If you can afford someone else to do the chemicals it's easier but still have to keep up with cleaning the pool/filters, etc.

BigRedChief
11-30-2019, 10:04 AM
I think a pool is a stage of life thing. We're older, kids grown and it gets very little use. Now it's just a maintenance hassle. However, even when it was used more it was still a hassle. If you can afford someone else to do the chemicals it's easier but still have to keep up with cleaning the pool/filters, etc.Agree. Thats why I pay someone to do all that crap.

Skyy God
11-30-2019, 10:29 AM
I have a 3 person hot tub. Will actually seat 6 in a pinch.

Getting ready to expand my deck and upgrade to a covered 6 person tub.

Skyy God
11-30-2019, 10:33 AM
Also, I really want to build one of these pools, but my yard is too shaded. Maybe the next house.

https://www.hgtv.com/design/outdoor-design/outdoor-spaces/pools-and-water-features/astounding-dumpster-to-pool-conversion-pictures

DaNewGuy
11-30-2019, 10:43 AM
Do you guys let others pee in your pool when you invite em over for a dip?

displacedinMN
11-30-2019, 01:07 PM
I have a 3 person hot tub. Will actually seat 6 for a good time......

Getting ready to expand my deck and upgrade to a covered 6 person tub.

FYP

underEJ
11-30-2019, 06:34 PM
I have a swim spa. It is both a pool and a hot tub. I can swim unlimited into the current and then relax in the jets between swims. It is only 15 feet so not too much water or care. I did cut a jacaranda tree down because of all the cleaning, but the water maintenance is easy. I use it 3 or 4 times a week so well worth the money. I keep the temp at therapy pool temps so it isn’t as hot as a hot tub but it is perfect for swimming year round in LA. It adds about 150-200 to my power bill monthly plus 20-30 for chemistry and I spend about 20 minutes per week cleaning it. Pretty good option.

Rain Man
11-30-2019, 06:58 PM
I have a swim spa. It is both a pool and a hot tub. I can swim unlimited into the current and then relax in the jets between swims. It is only 15 feet so not too much water or care. I did cut a jacaranda tree down because of all the cleaning, but the water maintenance is easy. I use it 3 or 4 times a week so well worth the money. I keep the temp at therapy pool temps so it isn’t as hot as a hot tub but it is perfect for swimming year round in LA. It adds about 150-200 to my power bill monthly plus 20-30 for chemistry and I spend about 20 minutes per week cleaning it. Pretty good option.

It's awesome that you like it, but it's costing you $200+ a month in upkeep? I find that a bit shocking.

MahiMike
11-30-2019, 07:15 PM

Bugs and debris.

DaNewGuy
Why has everyone ignored my pee questions I genuinely wanna know

MahiMike
Our housing community has an adult pool and a kiddie pool. Awesome.

underEJ
11-30-2019, 07:35 PM
It's awesome that you like it, but it's costing you $200+ a month in upkeep? I find that a bit shocking.

200 is the high end for a cold month with high use. And I don’t actually pay that because I have some solar to credit back. I would pay that though. Nothing beats how I feel after 40 minutes of strong swimming. No gym membership or trainer has ever come close. And if I had to lane turn I might not enjoy it as much. For me, there’s no substitute.

rocknrolla
11-30-2019, 08:14 PM
Good point. Enclosed would certainly minimize your liability if some kid or disoriented senior citizen wanders into your yard. It may be environmentally wrong, but you could also air condition it.

Its pretty much standard code to have locking gate for any pool. I built and repaired pools in FL for 15 years and 4 hurricanes. Enclosures are for bugs and debris, I don't think the screens would hold up to much snow at all.

Pasta Little Brioni
11-30-2019, 09:14 PM
Do you guys pee in your pools?

We got shower shitters, so probably a few pool shitters here too...

cooper barrett
12-01-2019, 03:03 AM
Also, I really want to build one of these pools, but my yard is too shaded. Maybe the next house.

https://www.hgtv.com/design/outdoor-design/outdoor-spaces/pools-and-water-features/astounding-dumpster-to-pool-conversion-pictures

My salt water pool had a mesh cover, that and blower was great dealing with the leaves, My trees were 60 feeters. I liked the shade, SO wanted one removed for sun. Never did it. You had a window to sun bathe.

hot tub dumpster sounds like fun,

MrCasual
12-01-2019, 06:32 AM
So how much does a "decent" sized in ground pool cost?

Otter
12-01-2019, 06:41 AM
Don't have or desire a pool.

A hot tub would be cool but I honestly don't think I'd get a very good ROI with the Animas in my back yard a 60lb boxer following me everywhere.

Maybe in the next life.

Al Bundy
12-01-2019, 07:36 AM
The pools in my complex are only open from the start of June to the end of August, but they are big enough to do laps and are well lit for night swimming.

ILChief
12-01-2019, 07:56 AM
Ive got a small hot tub. Not much maintenance so far. Drain and clean twice a year. Check the chemicals once a week and add a little when needed

prhom
02-13-2021, 11:23 AM
Thinking about getting a hot tub and this thread seemed a good place to look for advice. Any of you guys with hot tubs that use them year-round know roughly what it costs to keep it heated? I live in Denver so it can get fairly cold. I love sitting in a hot tub while it’s snowing so I’d have it outdoors.

I saw one guy say he had to drain and fill his every month. Is that typical? Do you just drain it into the yard or do you have to have it plumbed?

I don’t expect to stay in my current place beyond 5-7 years, can hot tubs realistically be moved, or is better to just plan on leaving it behind?

I’ve had pools before and know those are a lot of work. It seems like a hot tub would not be nearly so much work and the volume of water should require far less chemical expense.

I see several have recommended Hot Springs brand. Any other recommendations or brands to avoid?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Why Not?
02-13-2021, 11:34 AM
Had a pool in AZ because if you have kids, it's pretty much a requisite to have a pool in the summer (May-November). It was a lot of fun, but honestly, a big pain in the ass also. But worth it, because it got 7-8 months of use per year. Once we moved to KC, we went no pool and found a community with a kick ass pool instead. Love it. Nice and easy. Show up when we want for the summer months, then forget about it for the rest of the year.

DeepPurple
02-13-2021, 12:22 PM
Never understood why the enclosed pool trend didn't take off as a thing around here

example
https://www.poolpricer.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/pool-screen-enclosure.jpg

That's called a birdcage pool in Florida. Here in The Villages we have about 60,000 homes, population 132,000 all seniors. I would estimate 40% of the homes have that setup. Privacy fences or any kind of fence is not allowed, and Florida law requires a pool to have a fence or birdcage. So you can't have one without the other. A birdcage about that size will cost about $10,000 to $12,000 here. It's a really a luxury because at my disposal I have 4 large community pools within a mile of my home I can use.

I previously lived in Pensacola and I never saw a birdcage there, they don't offer them there. Areas further north if they have any snow fall that would crush the birdcage. The biggest problem in Pensacola wasn't snow fall but the panhandle of Florida gets hit by so many hurricanes, they would turn a birdcage into a erector set.

In 1979 at my home in Pensacola I had a vinyl pool installed. A 16 x 32 and it was $5,000. For example, here where I live 60 miles NW of Orlando, no contractor offers vinyl pools, it's all gunite and a pool about that size above would be about $50,000 to $60,000 plus the birdcage. Part of problem is everything is higher priced here in The Villages.

If anyone ever said a vinyl pool won't last, here is my $5,000 vinyl pool just after it was installed in 1979 in Pensacola.

https://scontent-mia3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/119067029_1730517103779481_5874297105899271408_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=3&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=O5pLEhqkY04AX-_fP9-&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-2.xx&oh=fe8715def068164cd136dbe1df56f15e&oe=604C0A24

About five years ago I looked up the address and the home was for sale on Zillow, this is the same pool 35 years later.

https://scontent-mia3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/119102890_1730526197111905_7653134652967781864_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=3&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=gde8jdXoCmUAX8CMelr&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-1.xx&oh=5cb18e8f7c204c32c7b7583d49b524df&oe=604C6764

Bugeater
02-13-2021, 07:58 PM
Thinking about getting a hot tub and this thread seemed a good place to look for advice. Any of you guys with hot tubs that use them year-round know roughly what it costs to keep it heated? I live in Denver so it can get fairly cold. I love sitting in a hot tub while it’s snowing so I’d have it outdoors.

I saw one guy say he had to drain and fill his every month. Is that typical? Do you just drain it into the yard or do you have to have it plumbed?

I don’t expect to stay in my current place beyond 5-7 years, can hot tubs realistically be moved, or is better to just plan on leaving it behind?

I’ve had pools before and know those are a lot of work. It seems like a hot tub would not be nearly so much work and the volume of water should require far less chemical expense.

I see several have recommended Hot Springs brand. Any other recommendations or brands to avoid?

Thanks in advance for any advice.Hot tubs run at a higher temperature than a pool, so they can become a breeding ground for all kinds of funky bacteria. I'm a certified pool operator and the local health department requires us to check the chemical levels hourly because of that, along with the fact that things can change much more quickly in a small amount of water. The good news is, if you fuck up the water balance, you can get it back much more quickly than with a pool. I generally change out the water every 2-3 days just to keep things fresh.

With all that said, since yours will be a private one in your own yard you don't have to worry about liability as much as a public one or one in an apt complex or hotel so you're pretty much free to run it how you want.

Rain Man
02-13-2021, 09:31 PM
Hot tubs run at a higher temperature than a pool, so they can become a breeding ground for all kinds of funky bacteria. I'm a certified pool operator and the local health department requires us to check the chemical levels hourly because of that, along with the fact that things can change much more quickly in a small amount of water. The good news is, if you **** up the water balance, you can get it back much more quickly than with a pool. I generally change out the water every 2-3 days just to keep things fresh.

With all that said, since yours will be a private one in your own yard you don't have to worry about liability as much as a public one or one in an apt complex or hotel so you're pretty much free to run it how you want.

Hourly? HOURLY?

That's a lot of work.

Rain Man
02-13-2021, 09:33 PM
That's called a birdcage pool in Florida. ...

Are those enclosed in glass or chain link or something else? Are they closed in to the point where they can be air conditioned? I've seen those in pictures, but I can't tell what they're made of.

Bugeater
02-13-2021, 09:34 PM
Hourly? HOURLY?

That's a lot of work.All I said is that's what they require. I didn't say we did it that often. :)

02-14-2021, 07:56 AM
Hot tubs run at a higher temperature than a pool, so they can become a breeding ground for all kinds of funky bacteria. I'm a certified pool operator and the local health department requires us to check the chemical levels hourly because of that, along with the fact that things can change much more quickly in a small amount of water. The good news is, if you fuck up the water balance, you can get it back much more quickly than with a pool. I generally change out the water every 2-3 days just to keep things fresh.

I know they have salt water pools in pigsknuckle. I think Chuck has one because I didn’t smell any chlorine. Do salt water pools make a difference? Mr. Expert, sir.

Bugeater
02-14-2021, 08:36 AM
I know they have salt water pools in pigsknuckle. I think Chuck has one because I didn’t smell any chlorine. Do salt water pools make a difference? Mr. Expert, sir.I do seem to recall hearing something about his pool and salt water, but I am Mr n00b on that topic. I think the technology had just reached Pigsknuckle the same time you were out here.

02-14-2021, 08:47 AM
I do seem to recall hearing something about his pool and salt water, but I am Mr n00b on that topic. I think the technology had just reached Pigsknuckle the same time you were out here.

Almost all the new pools around here are salt water. With what’s going on now all the pool companies around here are booked solid. First available dig date with most of them is may 1st 2022 which means you won’t enjoy it until summer of 2023.

Hoover
02-14-2021, 08:52 AM
Helped a buddy put in an above ground pool last summer. My neighborhood doesn't allow an above ground. Not sure I want to swing an in ground pool.

lewdog
02-14-2021, 09:06 AM
I've been managing our pool myself going on 7 years now. I do everything myself and rarely use chlorine tabs but instead use liquid acid/chlorine to manage the pool. I have to check the chemicals 2x per week this way but it's easy to regulate and not have things like CYA spike so high like using the tabs. Plus doing it myself I save about $100/month in having to pay someone. This funds my "pool booze" fund.

BigRedChief
02-14-2021, 10:02 AM
I know they have salt water pools in pigsknuckle. I think Chuck has one because I didn’t smell any chlorine. Do salt water pools make a difference? Mr. Expert, sir.

I do seem to recall hearing something about his pool and salt water, but I am Mr n00b on that topic. I think the technology had just reached Pigsknuckle the same time you were out here.

Almost all the new pools around here are salt water. With what’s going on now all the pool companies around here are booked solid. First available dig date with most of them is may 1st 2022 which means you won’t enjoy it until summer of 2023.We started out with regular chlorine. We switched over to salt. Its not like your going into the ocean kind of salt taste or feel. They just use so very little chlorine that you cant tell its there. Use the salt to kill the rest of the bacteria.

Our heater for the hot tub went out, Needed about $300-$500 of new parts. Okayed the repair. Checked my account next week and there was a $1500 charge to repair. So we fired them and went back to chlorine. After the first day of the chlorine being added, you cant tell its there.

Rain Man
02-14-2021, 10:16 AM
I've been managing our pool myself going on 7 years now. I do everything myself and rarely use chlorine tabs but instead use liquid acid/chlorine to manage the pool. I have to check the chemicals 2x per week this way but it's easy to regulate and not have things like CYA spike so high like using the tabs. Plus doing it myself I save about $100/month in having to pay someone. This funds my "pool booze" fund.

How many hours per day, week, or month does it take?

scho63
02-14-2021, 10:17 AM

If your in RI, how many months do you actually get to use it? :hmmm:

scho63
02-14-2021, 10:23 AM
That's called a birdcage pool in Florida. Here in The Villages we have about 60,000 homes, population 132,000 all seniors. I would estimate 40% of the homes have that setup. Privacy fences or any kind of fence is not allowed, and Florida law requires a pool to have a fence or birdcage. So you can't have one without the other. A birdcage about that size will cost about $10,000 to $12,000 here. It's a really a luxury because at my disposal I have 4 large community pools within a mile of my home I can use.

I previously lived in Pensacola and I never saw a birdcage there, they don't offer them there. Areas further north if they have any snow fall that would crush the birdcage. The biggest problem in Pensacola wasn't snow fall but the panhandle of Florida gets hit by so many hurricanes, they would turn a birdcage into a erector set.

In 1979 at my home in Pensacola I had a vinyl pool installed. A 16 x 32 and it was $5,000. For example, here where I live 60 miles NW of Orlando, no contractor offers vinyl pools, it's all gunite and a pool about that size above would be about $50,000 to $60,000 plus the birdcage. Part of problem is everything is higher priced here in The Villages.

If anyone ever said a vinyl pool won't last, here is my $5,000 vinyl pool just after it was installed in 1979 in Pensacola.

https://scontent-mia3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/119067029_1730517103779481_5874297105899271408_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=3&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=O5pLEhqkY04AX-_fP9-&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-2.xx&oh=fe8715def068164cd136dbe1df56f15e&oe=604C0A24

About five years ago I looked up the address and the home was for sale on Zillow, this is the same pool 35 years later.

https://scontent-mia3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/119102890_1730526197111905_7653134652967781864_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=3&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=gde8jdXoCmUAX8CMelr&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-1.xx&oh=5cb18e8f7c204c32c7b7583d49b524df&oe=604C6764

Looks like a new liner but still, 35 years is pretty damn good for the shell to last. :thumb:

HC_Chief
02-14-2021, 10:27 AM
Having an in-ground pool with beautiful landscaping around it = your own private vacation spot. We have TVs, surround sound with bluetooth integration for Spotify, a waterfall with mini grotto...it is awesome. Summer = mow the yard, do some landscaping, then shower & float in pool, drink a few adult beverages, enjoy life. Rinse, repeat.

Maintenance isn't bad. We pay a company $25 a week to come clean and add chemicals. They also perform any repairs. We've had to replace a couple of pumps and installed new hardware (control panels), which adds up to ~$2k over the past four years. The pumps were old, about a decade in age, so it was time. We should be good on that front for another ten years.

Ours is not a salt water pool. That means tablets, shock, and chemicals weekly. It is a bit more work, but not a lot: for a salt water pool you have to add big bags of specialized salt. The best thing about salt water pools, imo, is the water is incredibly soft. It feels extra slippery/almost slimy when you get out, and if you have not properly washed all of the detergent out of your swimwear be prepared for bubbles. The conversion to a salt water pool from chemical pool is not worth it. New pool, sure, consider it, but not existing. JMTC

02-14-2021, 10:28 AM

That’s exactly how I always pictured you. A loser who can’t swim that bobs on a noodle.

Bugeater
02-14-2021, 10:34 AM
How many hours per day, week, or month does it take?Once you get an automated liquid system dialed in it pretty much runs itself. It's not a bad idea to occasionally glance at the readings though. They still require stabilizer which has to be added manually, but that only takes a few minutes. So that just leaves your routine cleaning/vacuuming which can vary depending on the surrounding environment, and a once a week backwash/rinse of the filter. Could be as little as an hour a week, or if you were unfortunate enough to have a pool near a cottonwood tree in the early summer...neverending.

But that's for a private pool, when you're running a public/semi public pool and have to deal with the local pool inspector...things get far more complicated.

LiveSteam
02-14-2021, 10:37 AM

Yes it's saltwater system.

TinyEvel
02-14-2021, 11:46 AM
we have an in-ground pool and above ground hot tub. When we moved in I started taking care of the pool myself rather than hire a pool person. It was about $500 in chemicals and equipment at the beginning, many trips to the pool supply store with getting my water analyzed and the guy telling me I needed all these different things to put in it. It got to be a cycle of products, which hear is what they do in pool shops. I went to Home Depot and just got acid and chlorine tabs and an test kist and that's it

Once Fall came and the temps dipped below 70 the thing is like a glistening blue oasis. No algae or cloudiness and all I do is have a chlorine tab floater. We don't use it November to April but its easy to maintain those months.

the hot tub -- I could take it or leave it. I just noticed the water drained out of it somehow, so i have to take the sides off and check for a leak somewhere. At last I am handy and can almost always figure out and fix this type of stuff myself, but once we stop using the hot tub i will give it away for free on Craigs list but have no idea how it will be removed from the back yard. Might have to just set fire to it. :D

BWillie
02-14-2021, 11:14 PM
When I was looking at houses if the house had a pool I immediately crossed it off my list. Too much maintenance to mess with.

REDHOTGTO
02-16-2021, 06:54 PM
we've got an above ground real nice pool, and an enclosed hot tub room, why not have both ?

philfree
02-18-2021, 12:24 PM
I'm missing my tub really bad about now. I haven't had it moved to my new home yet. There's nothing like getting in a steaming hot tub when it's cold outside and everything is covered with snow.

htismaqe
02-18-2021, 02:01 PM
The pool and the hot tub. Much like about 90% of the luxuries I buy.

Sounds great at the time and then nobody ever uses them. Finally sold the pool. The hot tub is probably next.

cooper barrett
02-18-2021, 06:32 PM
I left my wife with a really nice Hot Springs hot tub and within a year, she toasted it.

Rain Man
02-18-2021, 07:40 PM
Indoor pool or outdoor pool, which is better? An indoor pool seems like it would be awesome, but I wouldn't want my house to smell like chlorine.

cooper barrett
02-18-2021, 08:54 PM
Pool smell is due, not to chlorine, but to chloramines, chemical compounds that build up in pool water when it is improperly treated.

salt water. does not stink.

I rented a Airbnb in LA that have a pool that came into the house and it has a glass door that raised straight up into a wall above. Never smelled it

BIG_DADDY
02-18-2021, 10:22 PM
Pool smell is due, not to chlorine, but to chloramines, chemical compounds that build up in pool water when it is improperly treated.

salt water. does not stink.

I rented a Airbnb in LA that have a pool that came into the house and it has a glass door that raised straight up into a wall above. Never smelled it

Exactly right. My house currently does not but I am closing on a new house with a pebble bottom salt water pool. Will upgrade back yard with hot tub, polar plunge, fire pit add giant man cave with all the bells and whistles. Can't wait.

Holladay
02-18-2021, 10:51 PM
whelp you all have a lot more money then I have,

pebble bottom salt water pool.

The bottom line is what is the pool/tub for?

I would love to have a lap pool to exercise. We don't have any pool close. As I try to run, row etc, it is nice to have a "hot shower/bath tub" to soak in as I get older.

Any thing with water is going to require some maintenance. Thus is your purpose?

A hot tub is great to loosen muscle and keep limber with minimal maintenance. If there is snow, you can do snow angels and hop back in.

cooper barrett
02-18-2021, 11:02 PM
Don't forget the drive in theater!!!!!!

Exactly right. My house currently does not but I am closing on a new house with a pebble bottom salt water pool. Will upgrade back yard with hot tub, polar plunge, fire pit add giant man cave with all the bells and whistles. Can't wait.

BIG_DADDY
02-19-2021, 12:41 AM
Don't forget the drive in theater!!!!!!

LMAO Property isn't big enough. I put in offers on several houses with big theaters but the Texas market is nuts. I don't need 5200 sq feet and barely watch TV anyway. MMA and the Chiefs primarily. I like the single story properties too. This had a good size lot so I'm happy. Lower energy cost. Excited about getting out of the Peoples Republic of California.

cooper barrett
02-19-2021, 04:04 AM
My buddy has an outdoor theater. nice set up.

kcxiv
02-19-2021, 05:14 AM
nope, but my neighbor across the street has one, and i can use it anytime i want day or night. Its a great deal really,i dont have to clean it. I just walk over there and go swim. Sometimes ill take some carne asada and bbq it up with some tortillas and salsa. win win! lol

blake5676
07-16-2021, 08:44 AM
Bumping this thread to see if anyone local has input.

Does anyone in KC metro or really the midwest have experience with fiberglass pools? I'd never heard of them until recently, only knew of vinyl and gunite. We just built a new house on a few acres last year. Three of the neighbors have pools (two are fiberglass) and we officially have the itch now.

Covid has really blown up the market, pricing sheets we're getting from local builders are 50-60% higher than what the guy two houses down paid in 2019. But if we want a pool anytime in the near future we gotta get on a list yesterday as the earliest I've found is late summer next year.

Pros/cons for fiberglass if anyone has experience??

notorious
07-16-2021, 09:13 AM
I've been to several pools with sand bottoms.

It was awesome.

Can you dump sand in a normal pool? Obviously you would want to keep it out of the filters, but damn it would be nice.

REDHOTGTO
07-16-2021, 05:21 PM
we have both a pool and a hot tub, we use the same treatment for both and its really not too big a deal to keep up with. we use a product called pristine blue, waters is crystal clear and no alge at all. i spend 15 min a day keeping up with the pool then pn weekends i do a little more cleaning, maybe a half hour. for the benefits i would recommend both but you do have to be dedicated to cleaning them or it gets away from you.

displacedinMN
07-16-2021, 05:36 PM
Swimply app lets you rent out a stranger's pool by the hour in the Twin Cities

I leaned back on my floatie and watched as my eldest daughter practiced her underwater somersaults. Nearby, my husband coached our youngest into her first dog paddle.

The pool, surrounded by flowers and potted fruit trees, was the perfect place for our family to be during the early evening heat — but it wouldn't be ours for much longer. We were in a private pool in a stranger's St. Paul backyard, and had only a few minutes left on our reservation.

The pool, listed as the "Montrose Moderne," is one of about a dozen in the Twin Cities for rent by the hour through Swimply, an app that aims to be the Airbnb of pools. Homeowners with pools list the dates and times the pools are available, and would-be swimmers can book them by the hour. (Local rates range from $40 to $100.)

It's part of a recent burst in peer-to-peer sharing apps, which let you rent someone's car (Turo and Getaround), camper (Outdoorsy) or even a fenced yard to play fetch in with your dog (Sniffspot).

Swimply started in 2018, when it launched a test version with just four pools in New Jersey. It took off during the pandemic, when people sought out private spaces to have fun, and continues to expand.

While most of Swimply's more than 5,000 pool listings are in California and other warm-weather locations, its founders say there are lots of eager swimmers in the Midwest, where backyard pools are less common — and more coveted during a heat wave.

"The best opportunities for us are not in Arizona, or Florida, it's actually places like Minneapolis, where there are fewer pools," said Swimply co-founder Asher Weinberger. "The supply-demand ratio is so skewed, and there's so little time to enjoy pools because of the seasons. People really are motivated."

Minnesotans, it seems, are not only motivated to dive into other people's pools, but to rent out pools, if they have them.

"You have this pool you hardly ever use, and it costs money all year but you're only using it for a short period of time," said Weinberger. "It's like, 'How do I recoup that investment?' "

He made more than $20,000 renting out his own New York pool through the app last year. The company collects a percentage from both hosts and swimmers, and provides benefits like insurance coverage.

Rental regulars
While some local Swimply hosts said they rent out their pools to cover the costs of opening, closing and maintaining them, others find it rewarding in a different way.

St. Paul couple Ed Piechowski and Sean Ryan, whose in-ground, 40-foot pool my family rented, said it makes them feel good that other people are enjoying their space when it would otherwise sit empty.

"It's been really wonderful for us," said Piechowski. "Our pool lies dormant 350 days out of the year. And so for us, sharing it with everyone who uses it all the time, it's a gift. We really believe it's a gift."

Aside from the 40-minute after-work swim they take every day, they don't use the pool much. They had long joked about creating a Montrose Swim Club, so friends could sign up to use the pool.

Now, they have Swimply regulars — some of whom prefer just to lounge by the pool in a chaise and read a book for the entire reservation period.

Ryan and Piechowski began hosting swimmers in June 2020. Back then, many people were still wary of catching COVID-19 from surfaces, but the Centers for Disease Control had said that chlorinated water didn't pose a risk.

They admit that renting out their pool felt a bit strange at first.

"It was really weird during the pandemic to have people come into your space, or even your yard," said Piechowski. "But people loved it. We loved it."

We loved it, too. But I was a little apprehensive about letting ourselves in to a stranger's backyard and jumping in their pool. And yet, our Swimply experience felt like a mini-staycation.

In fact, I got so relaxed that it was a little jarring when a neighbor appeared on the deck next door. But she gave a friendly nod, and our girls were oddly well behaved, intent on practicing their swimming instead of yelling and splashing each other. And because the pool had a pool house, there was an accessible, comfortable place for us to change in and out of our suits.

If you stay for more than an hour, the price to rent the average pool is a little steep compared with area public aquatic centers, which charge about $10 a person for a daylong pass. But then you have the luxury of having a pool all to yourself.

Ryan and Piechowski said a few renters have shown up with more people than they booked for. (There's a 15-guest limit, and extra fees for more than five people.) And, at times, enthusiastic kids can be too noisy for the neighbors. (The couple encourage louder guests to come before 5 p.m.) But overall, the experience has been overwhelmingly positive — even though they've made only enough to offset the pool's maintenance costs.

"As they say, 'A pool is a hole that you throw water into, then plenty of money,' " Ryan said. "We're just happy to share the space with others and give folks an option besides the lake or municipal pool."

'Big blue splotches'
In 2018, when Swimply was just starting, Weinberger and co-founder Bunim Laskin used Google Earth to find potential Swimply pools in the New Jersey area.

"We looked for big blue splotches from the sky. And then we went knocking on doors," said Weinberger. "We got kicked out of 76 of them. But we did get four pools to sign up."

Now the app includes pools in more than 125 U.S. cities and several locations in Canada and Australia.

As Swimply's platform grows, the company continues to update and improve its app. Still, I found it easier to sign up and set up a profile using the company's website platform (Swimply.com) because I had trouble using the app on my phone.

And while I was able to secure a reservation at Montrose Moderne fairly quickly, other Twin Cities area pool hosts took several days to get back to me, only to tell me they were already booked.

Once we got our toes in the water, though, it was easy to see why Swimply has caught on. With the pool to ourselves, I was able to relax and watch as the girls swam, instead of squinting to keep track of which kid was mine in a busy public pool. The hardest part was persuading the kids that yes, we really did need to leave.

Erica Pearson • @ericalpearson

Rain Man
07-16-2021, 05:40 PM
Swimply app lets you rent out a stranger's pool by the hour in the Twin Cities

That's a pretty cool idea.

Can you set options to limit use to only attractive women?

DJJasonp
07-16-2021, 05:56 PM
We had a fiberglass pool put in 7-8 months ago. It’s a salt water system too.

In my research, many told us the guinite pools would need resurfacing every 5-10 years which could be expensive, so we went fiberglass which has a 20-30 year warranty typically.

We really like ours. I think it’s 35 x 16. Only issue I have is that many spots around the pool have ledges which is great for sitting and smaller kids, but not greatest for diving (it’s 7 feet at deepest).

That said there are tons of different models to choose from and not all have ledges all the way around. The nice thing with these is that hot tubs are typically part of it, so it’s an all in one option. Some have tanning decks too.

The difference in cost isn’t too much (fiber is a tad cheaper), but maintenance is cheaper with fiberglass.

Been pretty easy to keep clean too. Only hired a guy once or twice, and that’s because I haven’t figured out testing/chemicals yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blake5676
07-17-2021, 06:03 AM
Thanks for the response! That was essentially my thinking after the research I've started doing. I just wasn't aware fiberglass pools were a thing until recently. And the maintenance part is the really appealing selling point to me thus far.

Most of the pool builders around here use either Latham pools or Thursday pools and each of those manufacturers have 25-30 molds to pick from so plenty of options.

frozenchief
10-17-2021, 02:32 PM
Don’t have a pool. Too cold where I live. But we are getting a hot tub. Should be installed in about 2 weeks. Looking forward to sitting in a hot tub with a good drink and watching the Aurora in the winter.

Imon Yourside
10-17-2021, 02:35 PM
Just closed mine for the winter yesterday, Winter sucks and I need both indoors if i'm going to remain here. :)

frozenchief
10-17-2021, 02:51 PM
Just closed mine for the winter yesterday, Winter sucks and I need both indoors if i'm going to remain here. :)

I love winter. Got a new snow machine coming. Looking forward to riding a lot.

Imon Yourside
10-17-2021, 02:53 PM
I love winter. Got a new snow machine coming. Looking forward to riding a lot.

Considering where you live, you had better love it! I would rather be on the beach truth be told.

frozenchief
10-17-2021, 02:57 PM
Considering where you live, you had better love it! I would rather be on the beach truth be told.

Well, every January/February, I go to the beach. Usually Hawaii but Belize this coming year.

LiveSteam
10-17-2021, 03:19 PM
No pool or hot tub.
Has a 12 inch swing lathe and a milling machine

Imon Yourside
10-17-2021, 03:21 PM
No pool or hot tub.
Has a 12 inch swing lathe and a milling machine

:LOL: ;)

eDave
10-17-2021, 03:22 PM
You're damned right I do.