PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs January Football

O.city
12-02-2019, 08:36 AM
It's interesting to watch and listen to fans and how the narrative always seems to weave in and out of how they are talked about.

In Alex Smith years here, the Chiefs were, for the most part, a defense and run the ball football team. In 2015, they were good defensively and a good running team. All everyone talked about was that they couldn't win in the playoffs because they had Alex Smith and he couldn't win in the playoffs etc etc.

Now the Chiefs have Mahomes and we are now all talking about teams like the 9ers and Ravens being the favorites because they "play good defense and run the ball" which travels in the playoffs.

So, which is it?

Hoover
12-02-2019, 08:38 AM
I'll take Mahomes and a prayer any day.

Buehler445
12-02-2019, 08:43 AM
Yeah, I think even if you run the ball and play defense you're going to get a game that you need a drive. It takes a QB to do it. Garoppolo looks decent enough and Jackson has been good (except for the game against us...I'm still perplexed about that).

I'll take Mahomes.

It would be better if our D was better. No question. But the Cheatriots had the BEST DEFENSE EVER ASSEMBLED /brotherfuckers and just got housed. In a dome. By a shit coach. Against the best coach that has ever lived.

Fact is every defense is going to get beat. You need a QB to win those games.

ptlyon
12-02-2019, 08:48 AM
Dee Ford plus a coin flip shall give you your answer.

O.city
12-02-2019, 08:49 AM
I'm just saying, pick a narrative and stick with it.

If its defense and running game, let it be that. If it's the QB, stay with it.

TwistedChief
12-02-2019, 08:49 AM
The Chiefs never win in the playoffs so it's the opposite of what they are at that particular point in time.

dj56dt58
12-02-2019, 08:57 AM
I'm just saying, pick a narrative and stick with it.

If its defense and running game, let it be that. If it's the QB, stay with it.

It doesn't work like that though. The league itself changes. It used to be Defense wins championships, then elite qbs, now it seems to be reverting a bit back to defense. The bottom line is an elite qb will always give you an edge as will an elite defense. I think some of the defenses went a bit unnoticed in recent years. People talked about Brady and Rogers and Manning and the greatest show on turf..but the defenses they had when they won championships were really good. You could have an elite qb put up 30 in 3 quarters, then in the 4th quarter if you can't run the ball and run the clock down and your defense gives up 3 touchdowns in the 4th you could still lose. Manning was no longer elite when he won a SB in Denver, Brady wasn't elite last year. It's a team game and if one dimension sucks that provides a weakness that a good team will take advantage of.

O.city
12-02-2019, 09:00 AM
Sure, it's a team game. The best overall teams normally have the best chance.

I'm good with that.

I don't think you can win in the playoffs with just having an elite offense or an elite defense. The 9ers have the best D in the league this year, or atleast are right there with the Pats.

Does anyone really see them beating, say, the Saints in the Superdome? I mean, I guess they could, I wouldn't call it likely or probable.

O.city
12-02-2019, 09:02 AM
I think it boils down to me being frustrated at the Chiefs because they can't seem to ever put it all together.

Why Not?
12-02-2019, 09:25 AM
It’s not that the Chiefs formula at the time was wrong, per se, it’s that they just weren’t good enough at it to win a championship. Now, it’s a different formula. So far, the result has been the most successful Chiefs team in decades(last year’s squad). Will the new formula be good enough to win a title? We shall see.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-02-2019, 09:38 AM
I think it boils down to me being frustrated at the Chiefs because they can't seem to ever put it all together.

Well they took a big step in the right direction yesterday.

I’d say the talent is there to get it done. No doubt, even against Baltimore.

Just need it to click. Sunday is a big test to what they’ll be able to do down the stretch.

notorious
12-02-2019, 10:23 AM
It's interesting to watch and listen to fans and how the narrative always seems to weave in and out of how they are talked about.

In Alex Smith years here, the Chiefs were, for the most part, a defense and run the ball football team. In 2015, they were good defensively and a good running team. All everyone talked about was that they couldn't win in the playoffs because they had Alex Smith and he couldn't win in the playoffs etc etc.

Now the Chiefs have Mahomes and we are now all talking about teams like the 9ers and Ravens being the favorites because they "play good defense and run the ball" which travels in the playoffs.

So, which is it?

A championship team needs to be able to run the ball and defend. There are exceptions, of course.

The great QB factor comes in when you absolutely have to have a score. He is there for killer instinct.

Alex failed horrifically in this scenario.

Rain Man
12-02-2019, 11:03 AM
The Chiefs never win in the playoffs so it's the opposite of what they are at that particular point in time.

I've checked this theory and it matches the empirical evidence.

You may consider it to be a peer-reviewed paper now.