PDA

View Full Version : Life Question for CP brain trust and those who Googled when Mahomes went down

HayWire
12-09-2019, 11:18 AM
So, the wife took my truck a month or so ago and the wind caught the door and it slammed on her knee. A trip to the ER and a few doctors appointments later we've got the results back from her MRI. Haven't heard from the doctor yet but can see what it says on her online medical report.
1) subacute appearing disruption of the anterior cruciate liagament. 2) Grade 1 strain involving the lateral collateral ligament. 3) Medial and lateral meniscal tears. 4) distal femoral and proximal tibial bone contusions. 5) small joint effusions. 6) moderate sized popliteal cyst.

Anyone have any experience with a similar injury?
Any ideas on a time table for recovery?
I'm already assuming surgery but not sure how long she'll be down. I tried setting her on fire and pouring antifreeze on her but it didn't seem to help. I'd post a pic but....no

Kman34
12-09-2019, 12:00 PM
I assume they will do a scope to repair the Medial and lateral meniscal tears and to remove the cyst.. A grade one sprain should be fine over time .. probably have her do some strengthening exercises to stabilize the joint.. Scope surgery doesn’t have you off your feet very long.. most of the time you walk out of the hospital.. she will be moving slow for a couple of weeks..

Otter
12-09-2019, 12:09 PM
Did your wife dislocate her knee cap?

HayWire
12-09-2019, 12:13 PM
Did your wife dislocate her knee cap?

It was dislocated but that's been fixed. Im just curious about moving the process of getting it back to normal. Luckily she has a desk job and don't need to stand to much but she can barely get around the damn house now.

Otter
12-09-2019, 12:27 PM
It was dislocated but that's been fixed. Im just curious about moving the process of getting it back to normal. Luckily she has a desk job and don't need to stand to much but she can barely get around the damn house now.

I've dislocated my knees 3x (left 2x & right 1x) in my teens and 20s and the doctors simply popped them back in place and I was up and around in roughly 3 weeks.

A month is a long time to be hobbled to the point of still having a high difficulty of mobility unless there was further damage outside a dislocation. Dislocations can be clean like I was lucky enough to experience or varying degrees of messy.

I'm not about to give medical advice but I'd guess you are looking at some sort of medical procedure given the lingering time frame of the injury.

I will say this however; the follow up lifestyle is crucial to prevent the injury from reoccurring. The knee is now looser and more prone to a dislocation reoccurring. Make sure once she's done physical therapy she follows up with keeping the muscles tight (stationary bike is great) and the ligaments stretched daily. Make that part of your life like morning coffee.

Good luck!

HayWire
12-09-2019, 12:41 PM
I've dislocated my knees 3x (left 2x & right 1x) in my teens and 20s and the doctors simply popped them back in place and I was up and around in roughly 3 weeks.

A month is a long time to be hobbled to the point of still having a high difficulty of mobility unless there was further damage outside a dislocation. Dislocations can be clean like I was lucky enough to experience or varying degrees of messy.

I'm not about to give medical advice but I'd guess you are looking at some sort of medical procedure given the lingering time frame of the injury.

I will say this however; the follow up lifestyle is crucial to prevent the injury from reoccurring. The knee is now looser and more prone to a dislocation reoccurring. Make sure once she's done physical therapy she follows up with keeping the muscles tight (stationary bike is great) and the ligaments stretched daily. Make that part of your life like morning coffee.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I can already see it being a lingering issue. It's gave out on her twice since and she ends up on the floor. She was thinking she would be out 6 weeks and I tried explaining she doesn't play In the NFL....then she hit me with a crutch

Bugeater
12-09-2019, 01:09 PM
Stop letting your wife use your truck and get her a Prius or something she can't hurt herself with.

HayWire
12-09-2019, 01:13 PM
Stop letting your wife use your truck and get her a Prius or something she can't hurt herself with.

LMAO done did that. She hates my truck but her car broke down and we had to switch for the day. She has a little Focus that looks like it came out of a toy pacakge

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-09-2019, 02:26 PM
I hurt my knee on 9/27. Waited 2 weeks before going to see the doc. Blue Cross said I had to go through 4 weeks of physical therapy before they would approve an MRI. I just got the MRI at 1 oclock today so awaiting the diagnosis.

Too bad your wife is going to have trouble getting on her knees.

HayWire
12-09-2019, 02:29 PM
I hurt my knee on 9/27. Waited 2 weeks before going to see the doc. Blue Cross said I had to go through 4 weeks of physical therapy before they would approve an MRI. I just got the MRI at 1 oclock today so awaiting the diagnosis.

Too bad your wife is going to have trouble getting on her knees.

:cuss: ok, that shits funny