PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs We have a ton of free agents, what will this team look like next year?

jjchieffan
12-18-2019, 12:59 PM
If you count Suggs, which I don't. He's a short term rental, we will have 20 UFA and 4 ERFA next year. A lot of them are easily replaceable, but there are a few that will hurt. Here's the list. Who stays, who goes?

Chris Jones- He's a monster and would be the biggest loss. Unfortunately, also the hardest to keep. He was wanting Frank Clark money las year and didn't get it. He's proved worthy. Can the Chiefs afford to pay 2 guys on the line $20 million per season?

Mike Pennel- Signed midseason on a 1 year deal. He has been key to our improved run defense. Will he sign a reasonable contract to stay or will he find a higher paying contract elsewhere?

Emmanuel Ogbah - He was tearing it up here before he got hurt. He most likely priced himself out of a return. Maybe teams will be scared off by the injury and we can keep him cheap? Probably not,

Xavier Williams - See how he performs in his return from IR

Reggie Ragland - What a turn around this guy has made. I would like to see him stay. Hopefully Veach will be able to find a way to keep him

Darron Lee - He's a JAG. Bye

Terrell Suggs - He'll go back to Baltimore or retire

Kendall Fuller - He has never been in KC what he was in Washington. He will probably get a deal like Nelson got from some team. But that won't be KC.

Morris Claiborne - I don't know. CB is thin. I would like to see another 1 year deal.

Bashaud Breeland - If the price is right, it would be nice to keep him

Keith Reaser - Hasn't really proven anything. Bring him back on a cheap one year deal, see if he survives camp.

Jordan Lucas - See Reaser

Demarcus Robinson - I would like to see him stay, but someone will pay him more than we can.

Marcus Kemp(ERFA) He'll be back, and could end up replacing Robinson

Blake Bell - Bring him back cheap, let him compete in camp, but look to improve if possible.

Deon Yelder(ERFA) - He'll be back. It would be nice to see him take a step forward next year.

David Wells(ERFA) - Camp Fodder most likely

Andrew Wylie(ERFA) - He can come back, but needs to be a backup, or can start at right guard if LDT becomes a cap casualty after his dropoff in play this season.

Stephne Wisniewski - He's been solid in limited play. I think that he can be signed fairly cheap. I would sign him and let him compete for any one of the 3 interior line spots

LeSean McCoy - I think that he can move on. Too careless with the football.

Spencer Ware - I would bring him back on a cheap deal to compete for a spot, but he can walk if he wants more than a cheap 1 year deal

Matt Moore - Played well in relief of Mahomes. Worth keeping around if he wants to stay

Chad Henne - He's a solid backup. He knows the system. It would be nice to keep him or Moore.

The salary cap is rumored to be going up around $8-$10 million next year. That'll help. But Mahomes will get a monster deal this offseason. That's going to make it hard to keep everyone. Especially if they keep Jones too.

TLO
12-18-2019, 01:06 PM
I haven't even started thinking about this yet. We'll have all off-season to analyze stuff like this.

saphojunkie
12-18-2019, 01:41 PM
Breeland, Jones, Pennel, Ogbah, Henne.

The rest... bye. Need to go young and cheap.

Pitt Gorilla
12-18-2019, 01:45 PM
Outside of Jones, pennel, and Ogbah, I’m not sure it matters at all.

That’s a good position in which to be.

Chief Pagan
12-18-2019, 02:11 PM
They will look like defending SB champions.

jjchieffan
12-18-2019, 02:24 PM
So, no to keeping Ragland? I would have agreed before this season. But he's dramatically improved in this scheme. Hitchens is staying because of his contract. Wilson is staying, Neimann is probably staying. Harris has been a nice add and will likely stay. But I expect Lee and O'Daniel to be gone. So that's 2 spots to replace already. If Ragland can be re-signed, I think that Veach should do that. Linebackers definitely need the most improvement. But moving on from Ragland at this point seems like one place that would hurt most.

jjchieffan
12-18-2019, 02:26 PM
I see that I left off Sherman. But, he keeps signing one year cheap deals. He can keep doing that.

BlackHelicopters
Frank Clark doesn’t even deserve Frank Clark money.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
Ragland would have to sign cheap tho

jjchieffan
12-18-2019, 05:14 PM
Ragland would have to sign cheap tho

I wonder what his asking price will be? With how he's played this year, I'm afraid that he will expect too much. But, if he's smart, he will sign a 3 year cheap deal here. This is the first time in his career that he's looked like a real NFL player. If he leaves, he risks washing out of the league in a scheme that he doesn't fit. Here, he could continue to ascend and earn a big payday while he's still on the right side of 30. I mean, he almost washed out here if not for the coaching change. How many games was he inactive to start the year? Then he got his chance and made the most of it.

ModSocks
12-18-2019, 05:29 PM
I wonder what his asking price will be? With how he's played this year, I'm afraid that he will expect too much.

Pfffff.

PFFFFFFFFFFF.

He elevated his play from "can't get on the active game day roster" to competent 2-down backer.

Ragland will be cheap, still. He won't even sniff Hitchens money.

T-post Tom
12-18-2019, 05:38 PM
What will they look like next year? Returning or not, they'll all be sporting Super Bowl bling. So there's that. :thumb:

jjchieffan
12-19-2019, 09:22 PM
Pfffff.

PFFFFFFFFFFF.

He elevated his play from "can't get on the active game day roster" to competent 2-down backer.

Ragland will be cheap, still. He won't even sniff Hitchens money.

I never meant to imply that he would get Hitchens money. I just meant that he needs to sign cheap, but I'm afraid that he will ask more than the Chiefs are willing to pay. If we can improve over him, great. But he has become a solid piece of our linebacking corps. There are other linebackers that need upgrading over before Ragland.

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-19-2019, 09:27 PM
Mahomes will be here with Kelce and Tyreek and Hardeman. Thats a playoff team right there.

oldman
12-19-2019, 10:45 PM
Barring unreasonable contract demands, I'd go with Jones, Ogbah, Pennel, DRob, and Breeland for sure. I'm kind of on the fence about Ragland, Claiborne, Wisniewski, Ware, and Bell. I don't see much difference in Moore and Henne, but I guess we have to keep one of them so flip a coin. The rest are JAGs in my book and can be replaced via the draft, UDFA, or FA.

Reerun_KC
12-19-2019, 11:23 PM
I bet they look like the Kansas City chiefs.

Just a hunch.

Strongside
12-19-2019, 11:25 PM
I’m fine with 4/5 of these guys walking.

Reerun_KC
12-19-2019, 11:38 PM
As long as we have our “The Franchise” LT Eric Fisher. Mr 1.1. We’re good.

The rest doesn’t matter.

Wilson8
12-20-2019, 02:46 AM
I think KC is sitting pretty good. We can keep Chris Jones if we want with either a deal or a tag. We will have 5 draft picks to use for players. We should be able to re-sign a few of these players, Breeland, Ogbah, Pennel, Ragland, and Wisniewski could all be brought back.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
12-20-2019, 03:20 AM
Do we want to redecorate sign Breeland? I’d look at drafting a CB

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-20-2019, 04:44 AM
Spags defense takes time to learn. We don't want to have to go through another learning curve. we need as many defensive players as we can keep.

oldman
12-20-2019, 05:42 AM
Spags defense takes time to learn. We don't want to have to go through another learning curve. we need as many defensive players as we can keep.

Thank goodness it's easier than the Sutton defense, we saw how that went. :evil: But I agree, pay the guys that have earned it (Pennel, Ogbah, etc.) and cut the fringe players.

One guy that wasn't mentioned in the OP was Sherman. You can discuss all you want about the relevance of a FB in today's game, but I'll take his contribution to the team over a #6 WR any day of the week.