PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Christmas Menu

O.city
12-21-2019, 08:19 AM
A few days early, but what is everyone doing for Xmas in terms of food?

We're having the wife's family xmas at our house this year again, I have tasked myself with smoking a prime rib.

I had the butcher age me one for about 3 weeks, bone's in still, totaling a bit over 9 pounds.

O.city
12-21-2019, 08:20 AM
Gonna do it on the smoker at about 230 degrees until I get it to rare. Then a quick seer on the charcoal hardwood grill to get that little extra crust.

Question though, would you guys go with a hotter smoke, say around 325 for shorter to make sure and get the crust better?

FlaChief58
12-21-2019, 08:24 AM
It's just the Mrs and I so no major cooking this year. I'm making a ceviche appetizer and a glazed salmon, asparagus and mushroom risotto.

RollChiefsRoll
12-21-2019, 08:27 AM
I’m only eating white chocolate pretzels between now and New Year’s. Mmm mm MMM.

Nzoner
12-21-2019, 08:37 AM
Bone in ham baked in Dr. Pepper
Cheesy Corn
Yams
Christmas cottage cheese
Slaw
Hot rolls
Homemade peach cobbler

Zebedee DuBois
12-21-2019, 08:42 AM
We are doing a pretty simple menu.

Pork Loin, with a mustard-cider vinegar marinade.
Fall Vegetable Cobbler - turnips, potatoes carrots
Sesame-Ginger Roasted Broccoli
Sour Cream Apple Pie with Norwegian Gjetost

Pablo
12-21-2019, 09:31 AM
Gonna brine then smoke a turkey. Also doing some maple syrup/bacon roasted Brussels sprouts. Cheesy corn. Potatoes of some sort, most likely mashed with gravy to appease my wife.

She is making a pineapple upside down cake for dessert.

Coogs
12-21-2019, 09:41 AM
Prime Rib using this recipe:

https://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/prime-rib/

It's my go to on prime rib and is very good!

Mashed Potatoes
Green Beans/Bacon/Onions
Homemade Bread
Cherry Cheesecake

ChiTown
12-21-2019, 09:42 AM
Bone in ham baked in Dr. Pepper
Cheesy Corn
Yams
Christmas cottage cheese
Slaw
Hot rolls
Homemade peach cobbler

Alright, help me out here.....Dr. Pepper? Really. Sounds interesting....

burt
12-21-2019, 09:42 AM
Bone in ham

Main course for us. NOTHING says Christmas like dead pig!

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-21-2019, 09:44 AM
I'm having a ham sammich

HayWire
12-21-2019, 09:49 AM
We're simple for Christmas. I remember having to go to relatives on Christmas day as a kid and it sucked ass...wake up that morning, open presents, and then put on your Sunday best. I told my wife when we first got married that Christmas day is for us and our kids and I refuse to leave the house and I'm not doing a damn thing that day. She makes the food Christmas Eve and we treat it more like a game day. Cheesey breakfast casserole, pot of chili, and snack food.

493rd
12-21-2019, 09:51 AM
PCP

lewdog
12-21-2019, 09:52 AM
Billay’s mom’s meatloaf.

Yes, that’s a sexual innuendo.

GloucesterChief
12-21-2019, 09:54 AM
Rib roast
Mac N Cheese
Yorkshire pudding
Garlic butter green beans with silvered almonds

Naptown Chief
12-21-2019, 09:56 AM
My WOP family will be doing WOP things, per tradition. Spaghetti, pasta fa*ioli (fucking filter), lasagna, baked ziti, etc.

FlaChief58
12-21-2019, 09:57 AM
Billay’s mom’s meatloaf.

Yes, that’s a sexual innuendo.

She's been injected with a nice white sauce. Enjoy!

Nzoner
12-21-2019, 10:02 AM
Alright, help me out here.....Dr. Pepper? Really. Sounds interesting....

Old Mama Nzoner trick,score the ham then pour 1/2 of a 2 liter Dr. Pepper over,cover in foil and let slow bake while every so often basting with Dr. Pepper in bottom of pan.At halfway point,usually 1.5 hours at 300-325(depending on size) turn over and repeat process with rest of 2 liter.

Can't really explain the taste other than a sweetness that isn't too sweet as we never cared for the whole pineapple and glazed ham.Everyone who has ever tried it has given it a two thumbs up.

ChiTown
12-21-2019, 10:05 AM
Old Mama Nzoner trick,score the ham then pour 1/2 of a 2 liter Dr. Pepper over,cover in foil and let slow bake while every so often basting with Dr. Pepper in bottom of pan.At halfway point,usually 1.5 hours at 300-325(depending on size) turn over and repeat process with rest of 2 liter.

Can't really explain the taste other than a sweetness that isn't too sweet as we never cared for the whole pineapple and glazed ham.Everyone who has ever tried it has given it a two thumbs up.

Nice, and I'll have to try. You just got a thumbs up from me :D

Merry Christmas to you and your's Joe!

Naptown Chief
12-21-2019, 10:10 AM

Definitely sounds interesting. I'll give it a shot too. Thanks Joe. Merry Christmas to you and everyone else

Nzoner
12-21-2019, 10:19 AM

Definitely sounds interesting. I'll give it a shot too. Thanks Joe. Merry Christmas to you and everyone else

Let me know what you guys think.

Have a Merry and blessed Christmas!!

mr. tegu
12-21-2019, 10:23 AM
Prime rib roast and bacon wrapped shrimp are the main dishes I’m cooking.

scho63
12-21-2019, 10:32 AM
We are doing a pretty simple menu.

Pork Loin, with a mustard-cider vinegar marinade.
Fall Vegetable Cobbler - turnips, potatoes carrots
Sesame-Ginger Roasted Broccoli
Sour Cream Apple Pie with Norwegian Gjetost

Damn, I've been craving a pork loin for years! What time can I stop by? :D

Sorce
12-21-2019, 10:35 AM
Herb crusted SV prime rib

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

BryanBusby
12-21-2019, 10:44 AM
Work

:-|

Why Not?
12-21-2019, 10:57 AM
We're simple for Christmas. I remember having to go to relatives on Christmas day as a kid and it sucked ass...wake up that morning, open presents, and then put on your Sunday best. I told my wife when we first got married that Christmas day is for us and our kids and I refuse to leave the house and I'm not doing a damn thing that day. She makes the food Christmas Eve and we treat it more like a game day. Cheesey breakfast casserole, pot of chili, and snack food.

This is basically how we do it. We do a big, extended family Thanksgiving. For Xmas we eat a big Xmas Eve meal the Mrs. makes and then on Xmas day we open presents and lay around watching movies all day. We don’t leave the house or barely the couch. It is glorious.

Bwana
12-21-2019, 11:09 AM
I'm hosting and doing crab. I have always done a prime, but doing that for New Years. What in the hell goes with crab, for side dishes?

PHOG
12-21-2019, 11:13 AM
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/235505/crab-boil/

FlaChief58
12-21-2019, 11:15 AM
I'm hosting and doing crab. I have always done a prime, but doing that for New Years. What in the hell goes with crab, for side dishes?

Gnocchi, pasta, risotto, broccoli, asparagus, squash, garlic bread and of course clarified butter

HonestChieffan
12-21-2019, 11:23 AM
Swedish Traditional for us:

Julkorv: a traditional Swedish Sausage with pork and veal and potatoes, spices stuffed
Herring: Pickled as well as in Cream sauce
Limpa: Rye Bread
Cardamom bread
Potatoes: Jannsens are the traditional ones
Swedish Brown Beans
We may do Lutefisk, not sure yet...I vote yes but not so popular with the others
Cranberries and Lingonberries
Swedish Rice Pudding
After, we will have good coffee, Swedish Dream cookies, a family favorite oatmeal and coconut dipper cookies, and decorated sugar cookies.

Got Jul!!

HonestChieffan
12-21-2019, 11:25 AM

Butter
Boiled red potatoes
Beer

The Franchise
12-21-2019, 11:47 AM

The tears of Patriots and Ravens fans.

kysirsoze
12-21-2019, 11:48 AM
Probably ordering Chinese. :shrug:

Bwana
12-21-2019, 11:50 AM
The tears of Patriots and Ravens fans.

That goes well with ANY meal.

Marcellus
12-21-2019, 11:52 AM
I smoked a prime rib a few years ago it was great. I actually pulled it from the smoker and put it in the oven at like 500 degrees to crisp up the outside though.

HonestChieffan
12-21-2019, 11:56 AM
Probably ordering Chinese. :shrug:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xTq20prt0K8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TrebMaxx
12-21-2019, 11:58 AM
Gonna do it on the smoker at about 230 degrees until I get it to rare. Then a quick seer on the charcoal hardwood grill to get that little extra crust.

Question though, would you guys go with a hotter smoke, say around 325 for shorter to make sure and get the crust better?

I have used the following for smoking a prime rib. I learned on my first try to be very moderate on the rub or to cut back on the amount of salt used.

Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 2½–3 hours
Recipe Ingredients
For Hill Country Rub:
1 cup kosher salt
¾ cups cracked black pepper (butcher block black pepper
preferred)
1 Tbsp. cayenne pepper, or just enough to turn the rub pink
For Prime Rib:
One 5 lb. prime rib
2 cups Hill Country Rub*
1 large package wood chips, soaked in water for at least 30
minutes (and a smoker box, if using a gas grill)

Recipe Instructions
Prepare the rub by combining salt, cracked pepper and just
enough cayenne to give the rub a pinkish hue.
Evenly coat the meat on all sides with the Hill Country Rub. Let it
sit in the rub for at least 1½ hours, or up to 24 hours, in the
refrigerator. Before cooking, remove the meat and allow to come
to room temperature.
If grilling, begin by setting up your grill for indirect grilling. Place a
drip pan in the center, and brush the grates lightly with oil to
prevent sticking. If using a charcoal grill, preheat to low and place
wood chips directly on the coals; cover once they start smoking. If
using a gas grill, place wood chips in a smoker box, place the box
on the grates over the source of the heat, and preheat to high;
then when smoke appears, lower the heat to low. Cover. Once
you've achieved the correct temperature of 200 degrees F, place
the prime rib on the grill, fat side up. Cover, and keep a constant
eye on the temperature to make sure the heat doesn't climb over
215 degrees or fall below 200 degrees. Cook for approximately 3
hours, or until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 120
degrees.
If cooking indoors, begin by preheating your oven to 200 degrees.
Place the seasoned prime rib on a rack over a roasting tray, and
place in the oven for about two hours, or until the internal
temperature reaches 110 degrees. Once this temperature is
achieved, crank the heat to 400 degrees and cook until the
internal temperature reaches 120 degrees, about 15–20 minutes
more.
Remove the prime rib to a cutting board and let rest for 15–20
minutes before serving. Slice, and serve with fresh horseradish or
barbecue sauce on the side.

O.city
12-21-2019, 11:59 AM
I smoked a prime rib a few years ago it was great. I actually pulled it from the smoker and put it in the oven at like 500 degrees to crisp up the outside though.

I did that last year. But I put it on the charcoal as hot as I could get it

I smoked a bit to long as it was about medium to medium well. Good taste but a bit too done for me

TrebMaxx
12-21-2019, 12:12 PM
Damn do I love Prime Rib!

frozenchief
12-21-2019, 12:32 PM
We usually eat later but I put lots of appetizers on the table while we sit around and cook dinner. So it’s kind of broken up

Small Bites

Tapenade
Ancho Chili pork rillettes
Rosemary lemon white bean spread
Spiced bourbon pecans
Cheese plate
Christmas cocktails

Main Course

Alaska Grass Fed Prime Rib, Dry-aged
Sauce bearnaise
Red wine reduction
Creamy horseradish
2005 Chateau Montrose

Sides

Creamed spinach
Potato, onion and bacon gratin
Wild rice with dried cranberries
Yeast rolls

Dessert

Dark chocolate cherry Yuletide cake
1973 Graham’s

mililo4cpa
12-21-2019, 12:40 PM

We do ours kinda of like a crawfish broil: red potatoes, mushrooms, cajun sausage, corn on the cob, some garlic, etc. all goes great with crab legs....

Dunerdr
12-21-2019, 12:41 PM
Just finished Christmas number 1 at my moms. Catered mexican food this year to save the stress. Chicken and cheese enchiladas with rice and beans. Currently typing from the throne.

displacedinMN
12-21-2019, 01:17 PM
Prime rib here too.. 13 pounds 11 people. May not be enough.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-21-2019, 01:25 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xTq20prt0K8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LMAO Best Christmas scene in a movie ever!

Titty Meat
12-21-2019, 01:28 PM
Chinese takeout

Megatron96
12-21-2019, 01:30 PM
Prime rib roast and grilled 8 oz. lobster tails.

Boon
12-21-2019, 01:44 PM
Having ham here.

cooper barrett
12-21-2019, 02:13 PM
smoked spiral sliced bone in hams (.88 for ham and .99 for pineapples) for meal others doing sides. 2-12lb hams for less than $20. Ham and pineapple leftovers on flat breads for new years snacks?

Afternoon snacks: leftover breakfast B+G served with a young Cab and slush mimosa's, grilled homemade (crust included)mini pizza's w/ leftover bbQ bits and mixed Boars Head scraps and roasted veggies. Mini burgers: Ground brisket spare rib and some chuck trimmings chopped then smoked seared for sliders. Stuffed jalapeno and habanaro cheese cream, meat and cheese scraps (see above) and anything else you can wrap in pepper bacon (stuffed al la garbage) then for sweets fireball brined pineapple: smoked then seared with home made vanilla bean ice cream (made with farm fresh cream). This is a group effort but it sure rises the bar for dinner meal...they better have killer mac and cheese!

After dinner the holiday excitement begins I sneak out back and fire up a fatty and watch the entertainment. Maybe my ex wife will hit on me again LMFAO

Hammock Parties
12-21-2019, 02:16 PM
velveeta

:(

cooper barrett
12-21-2019, 02:30 PM
velveeta

:(

I heard you could have, what once was, sausage but was put through the tenderizer one too many times...
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61CMpCHp4jL._SL1008_.jpg

http://Tittymeat.com/sextoys/clearance

Marcellus
12-21-2019, 05:10 PM
I've done lasagna for the last 5 years or so. I'll make 3 large pans, probably 14-15lbs worth. Wont have much of any left.

displacedinMN
12-21-2019, 05:12 PM
Hopefully no politics-my in laws and I do not see things the same way.

seclark
12-21-2019, 07:49 PM
Family’s coming over for lunch tomorrow. Wife’s cutting noodles on the table now.
Smoking a ham and a turkey. Bunch of other shit.
Good thing we got the septic tank pumped last month;)
Sec

KurtCobain
12-21-2019, 10:28 PM
I've done lasagna for the last 5 years or so. I'll make 3 large pans, probably 14-15lbs worth. Wont have much of any left.

I would love to visit you for Christmas all of a sudden.

hometeam
12-21-2019, 10:30 PM
roast, potatoes and carrots, corn, pumpkin pie, apple pie, yeast rolls, pulled pork mac n cheese

MOhillbilly
12-21-2019, 10:38 PM
Crab legs
Lobster
Shrimp
Rib steak
Pork ribs

Monkey God
12-21-2019, 11:05 PM
Beef Tenderloin w/blue cheese sauce
Crab Stuffed Mushroom Caps
Asparagus

KCFalcon59
12-22-2019, 12:31 AM
Prime Rib
Salmon
Shrimp
Sauteed Scallops
Anchovy Spaghetti
Green Beans
Baked Potatoes

Snacking on :

Genoa Salami
Hot Capocollo
Provolone Cheese

scho63
12-22-2019, 03:04 AM

What's in your lasagna? :hmmm:

My mom, not Italian, made a fantastic lasagna. Lot's of layers, sausage, ground beef, mozzarella, ricotta, Parmesan, home made sauce. I miss it so much....:deevee:

scho63
12-22-2019, 03:05 AM
By the looks of this thread, I need to go make some visits on Xmas to meet lots of you CP'ers! Some damn good menus. :thumb:

SuperBowl4
12-22-2019, 05:09 AM
Slim Jim's with Flamin' Hot Cheetos