PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs James Palmer: Chiefs think they are Chiefs rounding into form at just the right time

Hammock Parties
12-28-2019, 01:33 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001091808/article/mahomes-confidence-jones-on-shurmur-miles-sanders-soaring?campaign=tw-nf-sf226963422-sf226963422&sf226963422=1

I have been in the Chiefs' locker room a lot this season -- after most of their games -- and there has been a constant thread running through the conversations I've had with players:

We still haven't played a complete game yet.

It was said to me by receivers Mecole Hardman and Sammy Watkins as recently as two weeks ago, after a dominant win in the snow over Denver.

But it hasn't really ever been said in a negative fashion, probably because the Chiefs were still winning games. Their mindset is that they want to peak right at the end of the season and carry that into the playoffs. As Watkins put it, "We're right there. And when the postseason comes and it all comes together, look out."

This week, quarterback Patrick Mahomes admitted he feels the same way.

"I feel like, as a team, we're playing really good football on offense, defense and special teams," Mahomes said on Christmas Eve. "I feel like we're hitting our stride here as we're hitting the playoffs. Where we were last year, we were kind of hot in the middle, and as the season ended, we fluctuated a little. I feel like we're really building right now at the end of this season."

We've all seen the defense go through a transformation these last few weeks. On offense, the Chiefs haven't put up the ridiculous numbers they achieved last year, but Mahomes feels they're a complete unit right now.

"That we're able to do a variety of things," Mahomes said when asked about what he sees in the momentum that is building within the offense. "We're able to hit our shot plays, but if you look at this last game, it was moving the ball down the field a different way than we usually do. I feel like, as an offense, we're able to do different things than we were able to do last year. That's going to really help us out going into the playoffs."

Last season ended when Tom Brady and the Patriots beat the Chiefs in overtime of the AFC Championship Game; the Patriots went on to win the Super Bowl. It appears the Chiefs feel this season they're even closer to a Super Bowl appearance than they were last season, when a coin toss in overtime of the AFC title match took away Mahomes' chance to take them there.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
12-28-2019, 01:52 PM
We are winning it all!!

Kman34
12-28-2019, 02:02 PM
My Dixie Normus..

BlackHelicopters
12-28-2019, 02:03 PM
Fully erect

BossChief
12-28-2019, 02:10 PM
These savages aren’t losing a game till November of 2020.

Hammock Parties
12-28-2019, 02:22 PM
These savages aren’t losing a game till November of 2020.

You mean 2021

We're going 19-0 next year

RINGLEADER
12-28-2019, 02:29 PM
Only regret is not starting Pennel against the Titans (we’re the 11th ranked rushing defense with him versus the 32nd - by a mile - without him). That said, everything happens for a reason (got Suggs, woke up the defense). Have no fear of any other team in the AFC and hold out hope the Bills or Texans can make Lamar look like he did in the post-season last year so we can host the Championship game again. But wherever we play this team is going to bring some serious pain.

RINGLEADER
12-28-2019, 02:29 PM
You mean 2021

We're going 19-0 next year

Believe.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-28-2019, 02:38 PM
Super Bowl #2. 50 years later.

Believe...

Halfcan
12-28-2019, 04:03 PM
Super Bowl #3. 50 years later.

Believe...

The Chiefs became the second AFL to defeat an NFL team in an AFL-NFL World Championship Game in 1970, taking down the Minnesota Vikings 23–7 in Super Bowl IV. Kansas City hasn't been back to the Super Bowl since.

Kansas City reached Super Bowl I after winning the AFL Championship in 1966, but the Chiefs lost to the NFL's Green Bay Packers.

In 1962, in the pre-Super Bowl era, the franchise—then the Dallas Texans—won the AFL by beating the Houston Oilers in overtime.

The Chiefs rank behind only the Detroit Lions and the New York Jets for the longest Super Bowl drought in the NFL. The Lions have not made it back to to the big game in 61 seasons, while the Jets haven't appeared in a Super Bowl in 50.

Chiefs Super Bowl History

Super Bowl I: Packers 35, Chiefs 10

Super Bowl IV: Chiefs 23, Vikings 7

RunKC
12-28-2019, 04:23 PM
A year ago none of us would have ever thought that we had a better chance as a 3 seed than as a 1 seed.

I feel so confident in this team this year, but it’s going to be tough. I pray to God we don’t have any serious injuries bc that feels like the only thing that can stop us.

493rd
12-28-2019, 04:27 PM
Talk is cheap, especially for the Chiefs. Go get it!!!

Hammock Parties
12-28-2019, 04:29 PM
A year ago none of us would have ever thought that we had a better chance as a 3 seed than as a 1 seed.

I feel so confident in this team this year, but it’s going to be tough. I pray to God we don’t have any serious injuries bc that feels like the only thing that can stop us.

That's the only thing that has stopped this team all year.

This was a 14-2 team.

With Mahomes we're good enough to beat Green Bay and with Tyreek and Watkins we smoke the Colts.

Texans and Titans games we were mostly healthy and lost due to terrible coaching decisions and fluke turnovers/ST gaffes.

O.city
12-28-2019, 04:50 PM
We don’t have a better chance as the 3 seed than we did as the 1

That’s silly

They have a chance but the math isn’t in their favor

chiefzilla1501
12-28-2019, 04:58 PM
I don't love a matchup with the Titans only because I don't want a smashmouth game leading into physical games vs fresher new England and Baltimore teams. But playing to manipulate your own seeding is loser talk. We can beat all those teams and we will.

If there's any plus of playing a team like Tennessee, it's that hopefully Reid and mahomes will learn their lesson and put them away.

Hammock Parties
12-28-2019, 05:00 PM
We raped Tennessee's defense in their own house.

They're going to be playing catchup when they run into Pennel, Ragland, Suggs and Co. and get shut down.

Rain Man
12-28-2019, 05:09 PM
Super Bowl #2. 50 years later.

Believe...

I guarantee it.

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-28-2019, 05:28 PM
It's pre planned by the NFL that the Chiefs win a SB every 50 years.

crispystl
12-28-2019, 07:30 PM

Yeah for sure. I keep trying to tell my wife that we're better this year than last year, and I think she writes it off as homerism/wishful thinking but I truly believe that.

BWillie
12-28-2019, 07:31 PM
Yeah for sure. I keep trying to tell my wife that we're better this year than last year, and I think she writes it off as homerism/wishful thinking but I truly believe that.

We still had a better shot last year, because we had home field advantage. It doesn't matter if we are the best team in the NFL. We won't be favored at New England. We won't be favored at Baltimore.

crispystl
12-28-2019, 07:36 PM
We still had a better shot last year, because we had home field advantage. It doesn't matter if we are the best team in the NFL. We won't be favored at New England. We won't be favored at Baltimore.

We had an easier path to the Superbowl last year, but this year's TEAM is significantly better so.....

pugsnotdrugs19
12-28-2019, 07:40 PM

That’s silly

I think it’s even at best, in favor of this year’s team. This team as a whole is much better.

What are we without a few of the shit injuries they had, 14-2? Maybe 15-1?

crispystl
12-28-2019, 07:49 PM
I think it’s even at best, in favor of this year’s team. This team as a whole is much better.

What are we without a few of the shit injuries they had, 14-2? Maybe 15-1?

I agree. We've got a great chance this year. We match up perfectly against Baltimore and last year we had to hope we had the ball last in order to win games like that. This year we just haveto play our best game and we're fine.

BWillie
12-28-2019, 08:11 PM
I agree. We've got a great chance this year. We match up perfectly against Baltimore and last year we had to hope we had the ball last in order to win games like that. This year we just haveto play our best game and we're fine.

How do we match up well with Baltimore? We are one of the worst rushing defenses and thats what they are good at.

Baltimore can score. New England cant. New England is a much better match up.

RunKC
12-28-2019, 08:17 PM

That’s silly

We dominated both of the seeds in front of us, one of them on the road.
Ravens don’t have a great HFA. I don’t think we should be worried.

We aren’t playing against prime Brady, Manning or Big Ben. This is a washed Brady on a flawed team and a Tebow esque QB.

Easy 6
12-28-2019, 08:19 PM
My Dixie Normus..

Is Mahomes Irish?

Because my penis is Dublin

Chiefshrink
12-28-2019, 09:51 PM
I don't love a matchup with the Titans only because I don't want a smashmouth game leading into physical games vs fresher new England and Baltimore teams. But playing to manipulate your own seeding is loser talk. We can beat all those teams and we will.

If there's any plus of playing a team like Tennessee, it's that hopefully Reid and mahomes will learn their lesson and put them away.

Ya know, since the D players are starting to really get Spags schemes and they are really coming together buying into his system I really don't worry about Henry running all over us. Pennel/Jones and the D line boys will be up for this challenge big time because it is "revenge time" and not just defensively but especially "offensively". Now IF the D had not bought into Spags system THEN I would have been worried. We are getting more physical each game and this what I have wanted to see. I still say our interior O-line is too soft which I think limits our playbook to some degree but Mahomes is that good to overcome his soft o-line.:clap:

tmax63
12-29-2019, 08:27 AM
They'll be fine as long as they don't try to arm tackle Henry. He's one of those backs that will run right through an arm. Yards after contact. I hope they learned that earlier this year.

DRM08
12-29-2019, 08:31 AM
Only regret is not starting Pennel against the Titans (we’re the 11th ranked rushing defense with him versus the 32nd - by a mile - without him). That said, everything happens for a reason (got Suggs, woke up the defense). Have no fear of any other team in the AFC and hold out hope the Bills or Texans can make Lamar look like he did in the post-season last year so we can host the Championship game again. But wherever we play this team is going to bring some serious pain.

It’s scary that Pennel is that important for the run defense. Need more depth at this position. Hopefully they can find some pretty solid guys in draft or free agency.

Jerok
12-29-2019, 09:21 AM
It’s scary that Pennel is that important for the run defense. Need more depth at this position. Hopefully they can find some pretty solid guys in draft or free agency.

Xavier back will help

crispystl
12-29-2019, 09:39 AM
How do we match up well with Baltimore? We are one of the worst rushing defenses and thats what they are good at.

Baltimore can score. New England cant. New England is a much better match up.

Because we have the horses to score enough points to take Baltimore out of their game. If both quarterbacks have the throw to win ...Lamar isn’t beating Mahomes.
I feel like we match up fine with New England though too. Our secondary is good and pretty deep and we get good interior pressure on damn near every play with Jones which is what you need against them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Meck
12-29-2019, 09:41 AM
I BELIEVE.

MahiMike
12-29-2019, 11:46 AM
Does Palmer live in KC? He seems to always be there.