PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Ten Things About Today's Game Week 17: Chiefs 31, Bolts 21

gblowfish
12-29-2019, 05:33 PM
Ten Things About Today’s Game Week 17: Chiefs 31, Bye Phyllis 21

10. This is one of the better days in Chiefs history. I’m not sure where to start. Let me start with Phyllis. This could very well have been Phyllis’ last game as a Charger. He should probably retire. Chiefs beat his ass 11 out of the last 12 times he played us. His only win was when they went for two and beat Grandpa Bob’s confused secondary here in Arrowhead. He’s fumbled snaps to lose. He’s thrown picks to lose. He’s whined and cried and bitched to the refs and lost. Today on the first series he got tangled up with Chris Jones and kicked at him. He should know better than to make Chris Jones mad, as Jones knocked him around all day and got one of the three sacks. All I can say to Phyllis is, well….bye. And fondly remember that his last throw in Arrowhead was a pick. Perfect way to limp off into the sunset. Good riddance, you whiney little bitch.

9. Most important props of the day go to Fitzmagic and the Fish! Brady had never lost to the Fish in Foxboro, until today. The Fish were a laughing stock most of the year, and even were accused of tanking for the first pick in the draft. They will not have the first pick, the Bungals will. But to come back and beat Tommy Boy with less than :30 left in his crib was a thing of beauty. Wish I could have been a fly on the wall in Foxboro today. Hoodie is 3-3 in the playoffs without a bye week, and has never reached the Super Bowl without a first round bye. Thank you Fish. I still can’t quite absolve you for 1971, but today helps.

8. Patrick had a pretty normal starting QB week. 175 yards, 1 beauty TD to Robinson, and one pick when Tyreek cut the wrong way. Sammy Watkins was invisible, and quit on a play in the first quarter where Pat drew the Bolts offsides and threw a pick that didn’t count. Watkins just pulled up. Pat is very good at hard counting D-lines offside, and usually will go for all the cookies when he gets a free play. Nobody should quit on those plays. Ever.

7. Kelce had a handful of catches, all for short yardage, and dropped a couple balls. He’s had nine drops this season. Very rare that we win big when Kelce is a non-factor. Early on, the whole team looked a little lethargic. Williams took a pass in the ass that he was not expecting. Luckily Robinson woke everybody up with a beautiful 24 yard TD catch. After that catch, the game momentum turned, and Phyllis was playing from behind the rest of the day.

6. Honey Badger has come in and been the type of leader Eric Berry was in his prime. He can do everything. Great on run support, great on coverage, makes instinctive plays, and had a big pick on Phyllis right before the first half to snuff the Bolts momentum. Of course, you can always count on Phyllis to do something stupid at crunch time. Today was no different. Mathieu also led the team in tackles. Fuller, Ward, Watts and Fenton all played well and needed to, since Thornhill went out with what may be a season ending injury. I haven’t heard the prognosis yet, but when they take you off on a cart, that’s never a good thing.

5. Earlier in the year, especially in the stretch when we played Indy, Houston and Green Bay, Spags’ D could not stop running back catching passes out of the backfield. Chiefs D backslid in that department, as both Ekeler and Gordon combined for well over 100 yards receiving between them. Chiefs gave up third and long way too often, Bolts converted over 50% on third down. Bolts also won TOP - 36 minutes to KC’s 24 minutes. But Phyllis had two picks and got sacked three times. Plus KC stopped him on a big fourth and one on the 6 yard line, and Williams broke his first big TD run right after, so that’s a potential 14 point swing right there, and really demoralized the Bolts.

4. Hitchens and Sorensen miss a lot…and I mean a LOT….of tackles. Ragland played pretty well today, and the run stopping by our guys in the middle has been solid for six weeks now. Suggs came up with a drive ending sack, and although Sorensen gave up the last Bolts TD, he did manage to seal the game with a 4th quarter pick, just like the game in Med-I-Co. If Thornhill is out for the rest of the season, I fear Sorensen will be our weak link in the secondary, but we’ll see. Maybe they'll play Watts more.

3. Toub and Hardman come through with big points at a big time. When the third quarter starts, Mahomes throws his pick, Bolts get seven, then Hardman gets it right back with a 104 yard kickoff return that was very Dante Hall like. Did he step out of bounds? Too close to overturn it. But I’ve always had a theory that the good teams get the benefit of the doubt. In this case, the Bolts fans could scream “HOME COOKING” but hey, too close to flip it. Props to Hardman on a monster day and a big play at a critical time in the contest.

2. When we got down to crunch time, props to Andy for throwing the bomb to Tyreek on a third and short. Instead of playing conservative, they went for the kill shot and got it. Then Williams made a beautiful no denial run for his second TD, and seal the deal. A minute later, the Fish upset the Pats, and bedlam breaks loose at Arrowhead. What a happy scene, and if you haven’t heard Kevin Harlan’s call -Harlan was the Chiefs play by play guy before Mitch- go find it. Oh Baby, whatta play!

1. So even though in the course of a rough year we lost our starting QB, Tyreek Hill, Chris Jones and just about every running back on the roster with various injuries, we still manage to run the AFC West table and snag a number two seed. Spectacular. Oh…if we only could have not blown that Tits game! Too early to tell who we might get in the first game. Could be Pats, Bills or Texans, but who knows? We’re in the dance, and get to play our first game in Arrowhead, and that’s all that matters today. We broke the jinx last year against the Colts, so I am optimistic and don’t have the Charlie Brown kicking the football vibe this year. So congratulations to the Chiefs for winning the AFC West four straight years, and getting a first round bye for the second year in a row. Celebrate today, but let’s spend the time wisely, heal up, study up and kick some AFC ASS! Who’s with me? Happy New Year to the CP, and let’s start the new decade with a business trip to Miami.

Trivers
wonderful read! thank you!!!!

threebag
:thumb:

Monty
12-29-2019, 05:34 PM
In!!!!!!

Hammock Parties
12-29-2019, 05:34 PM
I'm sad George had to sit this one out

We were thinking of him down in Row 1, though.

Al Czervik
12-29-2019, 05:39 PM
Great write up GB....

Ragland was nails today.....I love dirty Dan but he misses quite a few tackles.

HB is who we thought he was!!!!

gblowfish
12-29-2019, 05:42 PM
I'm sad George had to sit this one out

We were thinking of him down in Row 1, though.

Yes, well, Mrs. B and I have been fighting colds, and decided to brave the elements next in a playoff scenario. But I put a fire in the fireplace, filled up a stadium Chiefs cup with some Ice Cold Coke Zero, read the game thread on the CP and settled back in an easy chair watching the Big Ass TV with Meesh Meesh. It was a good day at Stately Wayne Minor.

Wallcrawler
12-29-2019, 05:51 PM
Great writeup as always.

When Fitz threw the TD to go up on the cheaters, my house nearly exploded with the yelling and screaming.

It seemed like over the course of the game, we scored, then NE would score to get right back in it or take the lead.

It had the feeling of this being a hollow victory at the cost of Thornhill. Somehow, Miami seems to stick it to the Pats at the worst times for them. Last year, the Miami miracle put us into the drivers seat for the 1 seed as Mahomes pulled out 4th n 9 and 4th n 4 to overcome the Ravens.

Watching Rivers throw tantrums and interceptions will be missed. I can't imagine the Chargers move forward with a 39 year old turnover machine.

Flying High D
12-29-2019, 05:51 PM
Great read, thanks for the write up.

frozenchief
12-29-2019, 05:55 PM
GB: great write up as always. Keep up the good work. And I look forward to your next three 10 things columns.

TwistedChief
12-29-2019, 05:56 PM
Yessssss!

See you in a couple weeks, buddy.

Naptown Chief
12-29-2019, 06:02 PM
Thank you sir

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
12-29-2019, 06:03 PM
That bomb to Tyreek Mahomes called that not Reid

MahiMike
12-29-2019, 06:04 PM
Today will be a day that will live in infamy. I hereby name it C-Day.

Go Chiefs!

big nasty kcnut
12-29-2019, 06:08 PM
Great read George and honey badger got the rent.

PunkinDrublic
12-29-2019, 06:11 PM
Nice write up. It was sweet redemption after last years loss the way we closed out the game. That last charger scoring drive they seemed to play with no sense of urgency. I mean they converted a lot of third and longs but man that drive took up a shitload of time.

jjchieffan
12-29-2019, 06:12 PM
Great read as always. Here's to the Dolphins and a first round bye!! Go Chiefs!!

Randallflagg
12-29-2019, 06:23 PM
Damn George......batting .1000 !!

Great read!

PHOG
12-29-2019, 06:26 PM
Great day for a great write up, thanks! :thumb:

All two Bolts fans could scream “HOME COOKING” ROFL

Happy New Years!! And GO CHIEFS!! :rockon:

Oh yes, way to go Dolphins!! PBJPBJPBJ

Three7s
12-29-2019, 06:27 PM
Always enjoy reading your 12 things!

One note about the Chargers winning TOP, when you get a KR for a TD and a one-play drive for a TD, it's going to be pretty hard to win TOP. I'm sure you know that, but just felt like giving you a hard time. :)

TinyEvel
12-29-2019, 06:29 PM
Thanks G.Blow. Great as always.

Chiefs went 12-4 or better two years in a row for the first time ever.

T-post Tom
12-29-2019, 06:33 PM
Excellent last "Ten Things.." to end the regular season. Looking forward to my first "Ten Things About Today's Super Bowl Win" after watching Patrick and Andy hoist the Lombardi Trophy on 2-2-2020. George is a rock star.

digger
12-29-2019, 06:45 PM
https://d2gg9evh47fn9z.cloudfront.net/800px_COLOURBOX5645879.jpg

digger
12-29-2019, 06:46 PM
What a great Birthday gift I got!

Coach
12-29-2019, 06:47 PM
Great day for sure.

- Winning the game.
- Cheaters losing, giving up that#2 seed, which we now avoid playing against Tennessee in the WC round.
- Shittsburgh out of the playoffs.
- Cowgirls out of the playoffs.

HemiEd
12-29-2019, 06:48 PM
Your very best George!

siberian khatru
12-29-2019, 06:54 PM
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, George!

I think Spags will keep Dirty Dan as a box safety. It’s up to Watts and Fuller to pick up the slack for Thornhill. Better depth than last year.

stevieray
12-29-2019, 06:56 PM
Thanks for another season of the best encapsulations around. Bar none.

Don't pinch me, Gman!!!!!

I don't want to wake up.

rabblerouser
12-29-2019, 07:19 PM
Great read, George. Hope you and the Mrs are ready for a PLAYOFF VICTORY IN TWO WEEKS!!

dannybcaitlyn
12-29-2019, 08:01 PM
Great Read George! At least the Tits loss got us Suggs.

LongSufferingToady
12-29-2019, 08:05 PM
Thank you George!

Frosty
12-29-2019, 08:49 PM
Have any players on a shit team run their mouths more than the Chargers did today? They were standing over Chiefs players, jawing at them, all game long, especially Allen and James. Congrats on your five wins this season, I guess? :shrug:

Graystoke
12-29-2019, 09:19 PM
Always a great read George, thank you

otherstar
12-29-2019, 09:24 PM
Kevin Harlan is awesome, and always has been! GO CHIEFS!!!

FloridaMan88
12-29-2019, 09:28 PM
The Chargers statistically have a good pass defense, but it was still surprising to see them hold Mahomes to under 200 yards passing again.

Seems like Mahomes reacted too quickly to the threat of pressure at times.

Also Watkins/DRob/Mecole need to be more consistently utilized in the intermediate passing game (and Watkins/DRob especially need to be more consistent in their route running, being in sync with Mahomes, etc.) in the playoffs.

neech
12-29-2019, 09:30 PM
This would’ve been a great game to witness, though the bolts seemed to have the ball too much.

The icing on the cake is the news from the fins/pats game while being there.

Coach
12-29-2019, 09:32 PM
This would’ve been a great game to witness, though the bolts seemed to have the ball too much.

The icing on the cake is the news from the fins/pats game while being there.

Part of the reason why they had the ball too much is because the Chiefs had 2 plays that didn't take much off of the TOP.

The Williams 86 yard run for the TD & Hardman's KO return for TD.

Chief Northman
12-29-2019, 09:40 PM
This is a great write up largely because of the last sentence of point number 10.

My sentiment exactly! Happy New Year George.

TLO
12-29-2019, 09:50 PM
PBJ

TEX
12-29-2019, 09:54 PM
This is a great write up largely because of the last sentence of point number 10.

My sentiment exactly! Happy New Year George.

This.

InChiefsHeaven
12-29-2019, 10:34 PM
Watching at home, there was so much fun stuff at the end of the game. Harlan was on fire calling both games and doing it seemlessly. That was awesome.

Welp, we lost the Tits game but the loss was the reason we got Suggs, and the Phins pull out the miracle to give us 2nd seed anyway...it's like the stars are aligning for once!

Enjoy the bye week brutha!

Kman34
12-29-2019, 10:37 PM
Thanks Mr Blowfish... Today a dynasty died and a new one was born...

IowaHawkeyeChief
12-29-2019, 10:41 PM
Good read... My Daughter and Boyfriend enjoyed my tix today and said the crowd was rocking.

Valiant
12-29-2019, 10:44 PM
Yeah. We need to prepare for a dose of those passes out of the backfield in the playoffs. Because if I am another team. max protect. Deep routes. Send rb out. Then run the ball and playaction.

Andy needs to actually prepare the team and get them ready for physical football. We will get punched in the mouth.

Buehler445
12-29-2019, 11:22 PM
Great read as always George.

I love Mahomes. That's all that can be said. This game was winnable with other QBs, but this season, with this talent, was not. As talented as he is, which is the best I've ever seen, the culture change he brought is as much responsible for the wins this season as his plays are IMO.

I love me some Mahomes.

Best wishes, friend.

GloryDayz
12-29-2019, 11:59 PM
Great job George.

scho63
12-30-2019, 04:19 AM
Ten Things About Today’s Game Week 17: Chiefs 31, Bye Phyllis 21

10. This is one of the better days in Chiefs history. Let me start with Phyllis. And fondly remember that his last throw in Arrowhead was a pick.
-Top Ten day for sure in the 50 Year history of Chiefs games
-I called it in the game thread early this morning that Rivers last throw would be a pick, I called a pick six but hey a pick is a pick.

8. Sammy Watkins was invisible
-He is EASILY the biggest disappointment for me this year by a wide margin. He BETTER NOT be back next year and I think there is .0001% he is. Thank God. My mistake in thinking he would be a great #2. I'm loving D-Rob and Hardman for our #2 and #3 next year.

7. Kelce had a handful of catches, all for short yardage, and dropped a couple balls.
He looked a little lethargic today and I can't even remember seeing him get in a good block or two. Yeah, the second drop was inexcusable. Did I miss something?

6. Honey Badger has come in and been the type of leader Eric Berry was in his prime.
:clap:
This is EXACTLY what I posted last week. I actually give him a slight edge in pass defense.

4. Hitchens and Sorensen miss a lot…and I mean a LOT….of tackles.
They were far from the only ones. For some reason today we had no less than 8-9 times we had the RB on a wide run or swing pass in the backfield for a 3-5 yard loss and we OVER COMMITTED and it turned into a big gain every time. I saw at least 5-6 different guys missing on edge. That's gotta stop.

3. Hardman gets it right back with a 104 yard kickoff return
That was incredible and I thought they might have gotten Darwin Thompson for a hold on the kicker with next to last block. I was so scared of a flag!
Hardman NEVER stepped out of bounds as with all good fast runners, he runs on the balls of his feet and his heels rarely touch the ground. He did a great job staying in bounds by inches.

2. When we got down to crunch time, props to Andy for throwing the bomb to Tyreek on a third and short.
Rumor was it was Pat who called the play and it shocked me as well. Incredible read and throw, which reminded me of that Horseface fucker who used to do that to us ALL the time on 3rd and 12 late in the game. Time for us to do this for the next 15 years with Pat.

1. So even though in the course of a rough year we lost our starting QB, Tyreek Hill, Chris Jones and just about every running back on the roster with various injuries, we still manage to run the AFC West table and snag a number two seed.
We’re in the dance, and get to play our first game in Arrowhead
We broke the jinx last year against the Colts, so I am optimistic this year.
Happy New Year to the CP, and let’s start the new decade with a business trip to Miami.
This sure does feel like things are shaping up for us to break the 50 year jinx and get back into the big dance. I want to beat the Patriots in our place as revenge, just like we did to the Colts last year. It's our destiny!

Great write up GBlowfish and sorry you didn't witness the bedlam when we took the lead for good and then the crowd found out the Dolphins knocked off the Patriots. It looked like bedlam and lot's of fun. Kevin Harlan's call of the Dolphins-Patriots game during our game was.....wait for it.................. LEGENDARY!

I thought the crowd would be sparse today but damn what a great job by the Kingdom to show up in force. The crowd was all red and loud and proud.

Happy New Year to you and this gotta be our year. I'm running out of years to wait for a Super Bowl !!!

LET'S GO CHIEFS!!! :clap::clap:

mdchiefsfan
12-30-2019, 06:58 AM
Haven’t read the comments yet, but a KO returned for a TD and an 84 yd rushing TD will play tricks on your eyes through the scope of TOP.

I’m not currently worried about us backsliding in that regard after this game.

BlackHelicopters
12-30-2019, 07:41 AM
In for playoff magic. Thanks, G!

Megbert
12-30-2019, 07:57 AM
I made a meme.

Thanks Mr Blowfish. Love the 10 things threads you post. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191230/7c07a658a6a0bf8aaf1ae6c5264998ed.jpg

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

oldman
12-30-2019, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the usual great read, George. First, on a personal note, let me thank George on replying to my message earlier in the week. The tips helped make #1 Grandson's 1st game at Arrowhead a memorable one and he'll be a Chiefs fan for a long time.
I'll echo that the team looked a little lethargic at times, even Kelce. The broadcast team said that several players had illnesses this past week, so the gift of a bye week should get that bug out of the house.
One thing that won't change is the loss of Thornhill. I believe his maturation has been a big contribution to our secondary. But good teams carry on, so Watts and Lucas better step up their game.

Bwana
12-30-2019, 08:28 AM
Well done as always George. Thanks for continuing to do it!

Easy 6
12-30-2019, 10:26 AM
This one got me right in the feels, gb... :bravo:

Halfcan
12-30-2019, 10:30 AM
This is a great write up to end the year. Thanks for your dedication, sir!

Otter
12-30-2019, 11:18 AM
Yes, well, Mrs. B and I have been fighting colds, and decided to brave the elements next in a playoff scenario. But I put a fire in the fireplace, filled up a stadium Chiefs cup with some Ice Cold Coke Zero, read the game thread on the CP and settled back in an easy chair watching the Big Ass TV with Meesh Meesh. It was a good day at Stately Wayne Minor.

George, all that TV needs is a pair of girls from the Spearmint Rhino to dance on either side to get you through commercials. Ask for Ginger & Mary Ann and tell them 'whitey' sent ya! They only work as a team and no Gilligan jokes unless you want to ruin the mood.

:thumb:

Pointer19
01-01-2020, 12:58 PM
Happy new year, George. Here’s to a couple of long, demanding, bang-around games next weekend to soften up whoever comes to Arrowhead.

BigRedChief
01-01-2020, 10:48 PM
I love this stat!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ENP-e-nWwAABQaS?format=jpg&name=large

scho63
01-02-2020, 08:06 AM
I love this stat!

30 years worth is a good history for reliability. :clap:

modocsot
01-02-2020, 08:54 AM
I love this stat!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ENP-e-nWwAABQaS?format=jpg&name=large

Keeping my fingers crossed! Unfortunately, Reid personally owns a good share of that 20%, going back to his Eagles days.

PHOG
01-02-2020, 09:15 AM
I love this stat!

Thanks Fucking Dee Ford. :grr: