PDA

View Full Version : Football Rivers...I dunno...I can't hate this guy

InChiefsHeaven
01-01-2020, 08:25 AM
His presser after the game:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SaGRkU5LP-o" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He addresses the Chris Jones thing, and at the 10:40 or so mark tells a pretty cool story about a fan at Arrowhead that he's sorta gotten to know over the last many years, and a pretty cool OK Joe's story...

Anybody know who the fan is? He got Rivers' gloves after the game...

Say what you will about Rivers...he's a warrior, competitor and a helluva team mate by all accounts.

notorious
01-01-2020, 08:32 AM
One of my favorite players....off the field.

On the field his antics are hilarious since we own him.

Frazod
01-01-2020, 08:32 AM
That's okay. I hate him enough for both of us. :)

O.city
01-01-2020, 08:34 AM
Yeah, I like the guy.

He's had his issues on the field with throwing picks and such, but the dude has been a steady force for a shit franchise.

Rasputin
01-01-2020, 08:38 AM
I like him to keep playing for the Chargers and compete with the bottom dwellers of the division aka Raiders and Broncos.

kcjayhawks5
01-01-2020, 08:39 AM
I feel like he’s one of those guys that you just hate as a divisional rival. His antics on the field are hilarious AND ridiculous but he’s harmless and overall a pretty good dude off the field. The “cry me a river” song that CBS played going into commercial was AWESOME

hometeam
01-01-2020, 08:41 AM
I have said it for years, hes the kind of guy you love if hes your guy, hate if hes not.

Bolo tie interview kills it.

Also fuck him.

Deberg_1990
01-01-2020, 08:43 AM
I like him. At least he’s real and let’s it all hang out on the field.

Always made too many mistakes in crunch time, but he alway gave it his all. You can’t argue that.

Red Dawg
01-01-2020, 09:01 AM
Likeable but he doesn't win. He's Stafford. Great stats but crunch time he doesn't get it done. Chargers have almost never won the division with very talented teams.

gblowfish
01-01-2020, 09:09 AM
He'd be good on TV. Hope he retires.

InChiefsHeaven
01-01-2020, 09:13 AM
Don't get me wrong, I love that the Chiefs own this dude, especially since Andy got here, he's only got like 3 wins.

I don't think you can deny his numbers, and the way he plays is just genuine. Off the field, he's beyond a class act. On the field, he's been stellar (except versus the Chiefs, which is fine by me).

He's easy to mock and make fun of, with the facial expressions and trash talking, but I kinda like that about him too.

If he's not a Charger next season, I hope he retires. But, if he goes somewhere else, he'll be better than Brady will if he leaves NE. He's a better QB than Tom, hands down.

FlaChief58
01-01-2020, 09:15 AM
Yeah, hard to hate the guy. Seems like a good guy on and off the field.

jimidollar
01-01-2020, 09:17 AM
If he beat us all the time I'd hate him, but he doesn't so I don't.

King_Chief_Fan
01-01-2020, 09:19 AM
I would have been fine with Rivers as Chiefs QB in his prime. Tough as nails. He could have helped a lot of teams make playoffs.
I like the guy.

Mile High Mania
01-01-2020, 09:23 AM
I don't have any issues with him, he fights hard and can play... but, he was really a brash super douche after his first 3-4 years in the league.

Won the division his first 4 seasons with 14, 11, 8 (yes 8) and 13 wins. They were en fuego and then in 2010, it all spiraled downward with a 7, 8 and 9 wins until 2018 when they finished 2nd with 12 and now back to a 4th place finish.

Tomlinson left in 2010 and they just never really recovered.

InChiefsHeaven
01-01-2020, 09:25 AM
I would have been fine with Rivers as Chiefs QB in his prime. Tough as nails. He could have helped a lot of teams make playoffs.
I like the guy.

Indeed. Imagine him at QB instead of say...Cassel...might have been able to take it all the way.

stevieray
01-01-2020, 09:26 AM
He needs new surroundings..like five years ago.

good dude.

tough player.

Sassy Squatch
01-01-2020, 09:36 AM
Pretty sure I saw a photo of him and Jones hugging it out after the game.

Why Not?
01-01-2020, 09:40 AM
Fun to cheer against on the field.

Easy to pull for off it.

KChiefs1
01-01-2020, 09:41 AM
Great guy off the field.

KChiefs1
01-01-2020, 09:42 AM
https://arrowheadaddict.com/2019/12/30/philip-rivers-chris-jones-oklahoma-joes-giving-gloves-chiefs-fan-chargers/

“First of all, I was trying to see as many of those Chiefs guys as I could and wish ’em the best moving forward. Knowing that feeling that there’s more football left and you’re one of 12 is exciting and then to obviously find out that they get a bye and all… I love to go at it with those guys, as everybody knows, but I also have a great respect for guys and how they play and how hard they play, so afterward you wish them the best and tell them, ‘Go get em!'”

Later on, Rivers was asked about his verbal sparring with Chris Jones and what he thought of the Chiefs defensive tackle. You might be surprised at what he said.

“That was the first play of the game and I thought my leg was broke but thankfully it wasn’t,” said Rivers. “It was one of those deals where I thought it was a little cheap, just because I didn’t think he had to finish me. It was already called underneath and then he kinda finished me. But again, we talked after the game and even during a little break in the action. Shoot, it’s all good. Some of that is good for me to get me going a little bit. But shoot, what a player he is now. He’s up there, if not one, he’s a close second [among] defensive tackles in the league. He’s a heckuva player.”

tyecopeland
01-01-2020, 09:50 AM
I've always liked rivers and the chargers are by far my least hated divisional rival (I still dislike the Seahawks more). But I think I like him more because they've never won anything. If his teams would have ever been great I think he would have become unbearable.
I would liken him to Stafford in that sense as someone else did but I've never gotten the impression that stafford would ever be anything other than what he is. I wish stafford would have a true contending team before he retires; rivers, I hope plays out his career on the chargers and maybe makes the playoffs as a wildcard a couple more times.

2bikemike
01-01-2020, 09:52 AM
I can't say I hate the guy. But I always enjoyed watching him lose.

I wish him the best of luck in his life after football. I really believe he should walk away and enjoy his baseball team size family.

siberian khatru
01-01-2020, 09:55 AM
Glad I’m not the only one.

Fiery competitor, candid, funny, family man.

I’ve always liked him, and loved beating him.

GoChargers
01-01-2020, 10:00 AM
Rivers was just another all-time great player whose HOF career was squandered by the Spanos family. Although he also didn't help himself by stepping in to save Norv's job multiple times and not demanding a trade when they moved to LA.

ThyKingdomCome15
01-01-2020, 10:01 AM
It's easy to detest him when he starts screaming at everyone because he's losing. Ridiculous. No question he leaves it all on the field though. He'll charge a machine gun nest for ya.

ChiliConCarnage
01-01-2020, 10:02 AM
That was a great interview. I like how honest he is in a lot of the answers as opposed to just giving non-answers.

crayzkirk
01-01-2020, 10:05 AM
He will be missed. He was a thorn in the side of the Chiefs for a lot of years. Always seems to be good for the untimely interception or fumble. Has always been surrounded by a lot of talent and can't seem to get it done. Always gave the Chiefs trouble and that shot put delivery seems to work well for him.

Best of luck Phyllis, the NFL could use more players like him.

notorious
01-01-2020, 10:05 AM
My mind changed when he was interviewed after winning at Denver on the road a long time ago.

It was the game where one of Denver’s scumbag linemen tried to end the career of a defender by diving into his legs at the end.

GoChargers
01-01-2020, 10:06 AM
Tomlinson left in 2010 and they just never really recovered.

The decline had nothing to do with LT leaving. The Chargers had the league's #1 offense the season after he left, and only missed the playoffs because of one of the most inept special teams units in NFL history.

The real issues are that the Chargers started drafting poorly, kept Norv way too long and then hired Milquetoast McCoy to replace him.

HemiEd
01-01-2020, 10:36 AM
When I think of him, the first thing that comes to mind was Marty taking him when Eli would not come to San Diego.

Never forget his fumble at the end of the game a few years ago that allowed the Chiefs to win when all he had to do was not fumble in order to win.

Marcellus
01-01-2020, 10:46 AM
I would rather read an entire DeBerg thread than like Phillip Rivers.

ptlyon
01-01-2020, 10:54 AM
The recent domination of him and the chargers definitely has softened my distain for him, but as shown again last Sunday, he's still a little bitch.

siberian khatru
01-01-2020, 10:55 AM
My mind changed when he was interviewed after winning at Denver on the road a long time ago.

It was the game where one of Denver’s scumbag linemen tried to end the career of a defender by diving into his legs at the end.

His trash talking of Jay Cutler was legendary

big nasty kcnut
01-01-2020, 11:01 AM
I can!

POND_OF_RED
01-01-2020, 11:06 AM
That’s so fantastic that his final press conference was at arrowhead and he fucking cried. So fitting of his career. Fucking pussy!

MahiMike
01-01-2020, 11:08 AM
Rumor today is he may go to Indy.

Rasputin
01-01-2020, 11:08 AM
He'd be good on TV. Hope he retires.

His kids watching would boost the Nielsen Ratings.

Rasputin
01-01-2020, 11:10 AM
That’s so fantastic that his final press conference was at arrowhead and he fucking cried. So fitting of his career. Fucking pussy!

What's fitting is his last pass being an INT at Arrowhead.

Spott
01-01-2020, 11:19 AM
Never liked his antics that much. Almost feel bad for the guy because he had to spend his last 3 seasons playing 16 road games a year instead of staying in San Diego where they belonged. Almost.

Buehler445
01-01-2020, 11:37 AM
I have said it for years, hes the kind of guy you love if hes your guy, hate if hes not.

Bolo tie interview kills it.

Also fuck him.

One of my favorite players....off the field.

On the field his antics are hilarious since we own him.

Pretty much these.

ThaVirus
01-01-2020, 11:38 AM
Hall of Very Good career.

He's definitely a douche but I never hated him.

Mile High Mania
01-01-2020, 11:45 AM
Hall of Very Good career.

He's definitely a douche but I never hated him.

Agreed. But, he will get into the HOF on the 3rd try.

seclark
01-01-2020, 12:11 PM
Fuck him
Sec

ThaVirus
01-01-2020, 12:13 PM
Agreed. But, he will get into the HOF on the 3rd try.

I hope not, but they did elect Terrell Davis and Jerome Bettis so apparently they'll let anyone in these days.

srvy
01-01-2020, 12:15 PM
This board is dead we have gone soft. This is Phyllis we are talking about.

Kidd Lex
01-01-2020, 12:15 PM
No hate at all. He’s not a hof imo, but he was a solid Qb for a decade plus. I’d bet $$ he starts next year for a qb starved team

Kidd Lex
01-01-2020, 12:18 PM

It’s the Chiefs level of afc west domination and the expectations of PMII for the next 15 years keeping it going. We don’t look at the West as our primary adversaries, instead we look to the nfl elite teams that stand between KC and the Lombardi trophy.

seclark
01-01-2020, 12:25 PM
No hate at all. He’s not a hof imo, but he was a solid Qb for a decade plus. I’d bet $$ he starts next year for a qb starved team
And if we play against him, I’ll root to sack the trash talkin jerkoff.
Fuck him
Sec

Marcellus
01-01-2020, 12:29 PM

Mahomes effect, now that we have Mahomes and see the difference people feel pity on Rivers.

Kidd Lex
01-01-2020, 12:31 PM
And if we play against him, I’ll root to sack the trash talkin jerkoff.
**** him
Sec

I guess watch the video all the way through. He’s in awe of arrowhead and the chiefs team. No o line, home games for two years, and the chiefs domination has broken the guy. He sounds legitimately destroyed, and knows SD is trash that’s window slammed shut until they get a qb and an oline that can compete with PMII and friends, and he knows he won’t be a part of the rebuild. Hard to hate a guy in that condition, but I get it...

seclark
01-01-2020, 12:32 PM
Mahomes effect, now that we have Mahomes and see the difference people feel pity on Rivers.

Uh huh poor bastard.
Sec

Rasputin
01-01-2020, 12:42 PM
His kids will half fill the stands where ever he goes.

mdchiefsfan
01-01-2020, 01:10 PM
If he beat us all the time I'd hate him, but he doesn't so I don't.

This is probably the best explanation for how I feel about Rivers.

I enjoyed an interview of his after the game (separate from the presser in OP). You could tell he enjoys the game for the game it is.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/12/30/21042966/philip-rivers-says-the-chiefs-have-a-chance-to-win-it-all

It’s hard to be a Kansas City Chiefs fan sometimes. So many years of greatness — and yet, so many years of bitter disappointment, too. Once in a while, it’s useful to take an opportunity to step back — to see what the team looks like from outside our little bubble.

Such an opportunity presented itself after the Chiefs had defeated the Los Angeles Chargers 31-21 on Sunday afternoon.

The point of view was that of Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers, who had just completed what could end up being his final game with the team — or perhaps even in the NFL.

“There’s nothing like competing at this level and living out a dream — even in a situation where you’re 5-10,” he told reporters. “I was asked earlier this week, ‘What’s the motivation?’ The motivation is that I’m 38 years old — and I get to play the Kansas City Chiefs at this place. Are you kidding me? That’s the motivation.”

Rivers said he spent a little extra time mingling with other players after the final gun.

“Well first of all, I was trying to see as many Chiefs players as possible — so that I could wish them the best moving forward,” he said. “Knowing that you’re one of 12 teams and there is more football left — and to find out that they get a bye now is awesome.

Can’t hate a guy that is enjoying what he is doing.

Chiefspants
01-01-2020, 01:27 PM
I tend to separate my thoughts into what I think of Rivers the person vs Rivers the player.

BlackHelicopters
01-01-2020, 01:55 PM
I like the guy. Plus he has a wife who likes to screw.

carcosa
01-01-2020, 02:05 PM
I HATE THAT BICTH!!!!!!

ptlyon
01-01-2020, 02:19 PM
I like the guy. Plus he has a wife who likes to screw.

Maybe she just takes it

T-post Tom
01-01-2020, 02:25 PM
I've mocked him more than once for his antics on the field. But by all accounts, he's a good family man off the field. I respect that. Good luck to him and his family off the field.

Baby Lee
01-01-2020, 02:31 PM
The decline had nothing to do with LT leaving. The Chargers had the league's #1 offense the season after he left, and only missed the playoffs because of one of the most inept special teams units in NFL history.

The real issues are that the Chargers started drafting poorly, kept Norv way too long and then hired Milquetoast McCoy to replace him.

Want a an afternoon of wistful remembrance?

<iframe width="690" height="388" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UAL5X3TRA2A" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

64 Chief
01-01-2020, 02:33 PM
Have respect for Rivers, Manning and Brady. For some reason, never cared for horseface.

Baby Lee
01-01-2020, 02:35 PM
And it's hard to hate the persona after chuckling at Gridiron Heights.

@1:01

G T tha FLUFF O!!

<iframe width="949" height="534" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gqephvjjcJ8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Imon Yourside
01-01-2020, 02:46 PM
Hate the trash talking Ahole on the field but he seems like an alright dude and a fiery competitor. That being said it was really nice to own his ass most of the time. :)

Setsuna
01-01-2020, 02:49 PM
If he was such a great guy he would have retired years ago and focused on raising his 30 kids. Rivers is garbage on and off the field.

mdchiefsfan
01-01-2020, 03:24 PM
If he was such a great guy he would have retired years ago and focused on raising his 30 kids. Rivers is garbage on and off the field.

LMAO

rabblerouser
01-01-2020, 03:29 PM
Wherever he goes, his kids can make his jersey #1 in sales.

Megatron96
01-01-2020, 03:32 PM
I hate him. That's probably not going to change.

Though I do love his consistent need to throw picks against us. I admire him for that.

ptlyon
01-01-2020, 03:39 PM
14-15 career vs the Chiefs

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RivePh00/gamelog/?opp_id=kan

seclark
01-01-2020, 03:48 PM
14-15 career vs the Chiefs

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RivePh00/gamelog/?opp_id=kan

Scoreboard
Fuck him
Sec

Frazod
01-01-2020, 04:02 PM
Wherever he goes, his kids can make his jersey #1 in sales.

If he goes to another team he’ll cut the Chargers fanbase in half. LMAO

Mile High Mania
01-01-2020, 04:10 PM
Curious... guys like Phil Simms, Bernie Kosar, Ken Anderson, Randall Cunningham... should Rivers get in before those guys?

ptlyon
01-01-2020, 04:13 PM
Damn, if sec don't like you, you're likely a douchebag ROFL

BWillie
01-01-2020, 04:19 PM
Chuefs back up QB?

Mile High Mania
01-01-2020, 04:19 PM
Over the next 5-10 years.... there are going to be several QBs that are going to make a case for the HOF.

Manning, Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Eli, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Ryan... then you have the old guys that haven't made it. I mean 3-4 of those 8 listed are no brainers. That doesn't include Eli and Ben, both with impressive bodies of work and 2 rings. I'll bet in due time, they all get in.

ptlyon
01-01-2020, 04:24 PM
Chuefs back up QB?

Too many bday drinks? JFC

ThaVirus
01-01-2020, 04:54 PM
Over the next 5-10 years.... there are going to be several QBs that are going to make a case for the HOF.

Manning, Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Eli, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Ryan... then you have the old guys that haven't made it. I mean 3-4 of those 8 listed are no brainers. That doesn't include Eli and Ben, both with impressive bodies of work and 2 rings. I'll bet in due time, they all get in.

Gah. If it were up to me, only Peyton, Brady, Brees and Rodgers would make it, but I'd be willing to bet Roethlisberger and Eli both get in one day.

Marcellus
01-01-2020, 05:20 PM
Gah. If it were up to me, only Peyton, Brady, Brees and Rodgers would make it, but I'd be willing to bet Roethlisberger and Eli both get in one day.

Rodgers is the most overrated on that list.

ThaVirus
01-01-2020, 05:37 PM
Rodgers is the most overrated on that list.

Definitely. He’s been living off the legacy of his peak back in 2011.

But that peak is probably the best QB play the league has ever seen. Plus his efficiency numbers are insane, particularly TD:INT ratio.

Coogs
01-01-2020, 06:41 PM
That was a great interview. I like how honest he is in a lot of the answers as opposed to just giving non-answers.

That was a great interview. :clap::clap::clap:

scho63
01-01-2020, 09:09 PM
The guy played with a hell of a lot of passion and never give up attitude. His record was much better than people give him credit for and when you consider how shitty San Diego and the Spanos family are, you gotta give him credit.

He still is a whiny little bitch however! ROFL

Groves
01-01-2020, 09:51 PM
My favorite P. Rivers moment:

Phyllis jawing near our sideline, Andy sidles up gives him the ol’ butt check sending him a few yards.

What game was that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FAX
01-01-2020, 10:00 PM
Time to honor him with an appreciation thread or nah?

FAX

Mennonite
01-01-2020, 10:05 PM
My favorite P. Rivers moment:

Phyllis jawing near our sideline, Andy sidles up gives him the ol’ butt check sending him a few yards.

What game was that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://i.imgur.com/GpG70MN.gif

rico
01-01-2020, 10:05 PM
His presser after the game:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SaGRkU5LP-o" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He addresses the Chris Jones thing, and at the 10:40 or so mark tells a pretty cool story about a fan at Arrowhead that he's sorta gotten to know over the last many years, and a pretty cool OK Joe's story...

Anybody know who the fan is? He got Rivers' gloves after the game...

Say what you will about Rivers...he's a warrior, competitor and a helluva team mate by all accounts.

I know exactly what you mean. I feel the same exact way. And the goofball has brought me some good laughs over the years... WORST DAY EVER! LMAO

Demonpenz
01-01-2020, 10:22 PM
hate for him going down hate for Aaron Rogers going up. Man he answered those questions honestly. Good soundbites

lcarus
01-01-2020, 10:30 PM
The guy is likeable and genuine off the field. On the field he comes across as such a douche canoe

Rain Man
01-01-2020, 10:38 PM
For the most part, he's been a harmless part of our division. And I'll always respect him for being the good guy during the Eli and Archie Manning spoiled brat tantrum. Eli Manning earned nothing in this league.

Mile High Mania
01-01-2020, 11:59 PM
For the most part, he's been a harmless part of our division. And I'll always respect him for being the good guy during the Eli and Archie Manning spoiled brat tantrum. Eli Manning earned nothing in this league.

I just think it's funny how things work out sometimes... Ernie Accorsi was the GM of the Colts in the '83 Elway draft, as well as the GM of the Giants during the '04 Manning draft.

ChiefaRoo
01-02-2020, 05:27 AM
Fk him right in his hillbilly arse. Mahomes is his kids new dad. That is all.

Lzen
01-02-2020, 11:00 AM
I never have understood the hate for Rivers. He's a competitor and is respectful.

Mile High Mania
01-02-2020, 11:03 AM
I never have understood the hate for Rivers. He's a competitor and is respectful.

I think it's more related to his first 3-4 years in the league... he was kinda Mayfield dickish when they were rolling.

RunKC
01-20-2020, 08:45 PM
Per La Candouchebag, Rivers is being linked to Tampa Bay. He recently moved to Florida too.

I think that’s the best play for him. Yet another divisional team with QB problems LMAO

Halfcan
01-20-2020, 08:49 PM
He will be glad not to lose to the Chiefs twice a year.

Pointer19
01-20-2020, 09:01 PM
I’m hoping the rumors about Brady to the Dolts come true. Get to whoop his ass twice a year for the next ??? years.

Buehler445
01-20-2020, 10:54 PM
I’m hoping the rumors about Brady to the Dolts come true. Get to whoop his ass twice a year for the next ??? years.

Behind that OL, he'll be on the IR before the Chiefs game.

God I hope it happens.

scho63
01-20-2020, 11:34 PM

That would be so San Diego stupid that it's likely.

That org is the West Coast Browns.

Chief Northman
01-20-2020, 11:35 PM
Who strokes out first: Arians or Rivers?

rabblerouser
01-20-2020, 11:44 PM
Who strokes out first: Arians or Rivers?

Arians, about Phyllis 3rd Riversception.

rtmike
01-21-2020, 05:53 AM

They should have let Marty hire his brother, lol.