PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs NFL.com: Chiefs running game is now a strength

Hammock Parties
01-02-2020, 09:29 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001093700/article/nfl-playoffs-one-strength-area-of-concern-for-each-afc-team

2) Kansas City Chiefs
Win AFC: 26.3 percent
Win Super Bowl: 16.4 percent

Strength: Run game.

The Chiefs had the highest third-down conversion percentage in the NFL between Weeks 11-17 (51.4 percent), and during that period, they rushed on 44.8 percent of plays, up from Weeks 1-9, when they kept it on the ground for only 35.1 percent of plays. Digging deeper, it was not long runs but rather strategic carries that drove their efficiency, as 73 percent of third-down runs resulted in a first down (the most in the NFL), a figure that was nearly 10 percent better than the next closest team (the Lions, at 63.3 percent). Patrick Mahomes and the passing attack are fierce, but the ability to pick up first downs on the ground can get the offense through tight spots and keep defenses on their toes.

Area of concern: Defensive reliability.

In Weeks 11-17, the Chiefs were extremely efficient at defending against passes of 10-plus air yards, holding opposing passers to a 22.6 passer rating (lowest) and 5.9 yards per attempt (lowest by 2 yards), with two touchdowns to eight interceptions (best -- all stats per NGS). This helped drive the league's best scoring defense (allowing 11.5 points per game) in the last seven weeks of the season. I bring this up here because rookie safety Juan Thornhill was just lost for the rest of the season with a torn ACL, and his absence at a crucial position could be a source of inefficiency. Furthermore, the Chiefs exhibited a concerning lack of consistency against the run. In Weeks 1-10, Kansas City allowed 5.14 yards per rush (third most) and 3.8 rushes of 10-plus yards per game (in Weeks 11-17, this figure decreased to 3.0 per game). They also allowed 12 rushing touchdowns in the beginning of the season (1.2 per game) and only two -- total -- in Weeks 11-17.

Wallcrawler
01-02-2020, 09:35 AM
If Andy doesnt Andy, we are winning the Superbowl.

Only a failure to score, or stay on the field will screw us. This defense is light years better than last years. All the "genius" has to do is turn Pat loose and not handcuff the offense and we are golden.

Danguardace
01-02-2020, 09:48 AM
Anyone else not buy this Shady McCoy resting for the post season?

I think Andy doesn't trust him, he was also turning his back on contact the last time he played.

RaidersOftheCellar
01-02-2020, 09:49 AM
I have to think that people are exaggerating the impact of losing Thornhill.

He was a rookie and wasn't perfect. Aside from that, a single injury is only devastating if the players behind him are complete garbage. I don't think that's the case.

RaidersOftheCellar
01-02-2020, 09:50 AM

I think Andy doesn't trust him, he was also turning his back on contact the last time he played.

Teicher has been convinced for weeks that the official narrative is bullshit. He just fell out of favor. It's not just that he fumbled multiple times, but that he continues to carry the ball the same way. More fumbles are inevitable.

Williams is better anyway.

The Franchise
01-02-2020, 09:51 AM
Damien Williams is heathy, boys. Let’s fucking do this.

Chris Meck
01-02-2020, 09:52 AM
the line play was terrible while Fisher was out.

The interior line play was still subpar until Wylie got hurt. Wiz is better, although still not awesome.

Both guards and Center need upgrading.

BUT, with Fisher and Wiz in there, it's serviceable and that's a big reason for the uptick in the running game-both in Andy's willingness to call running plays, and our success in doing so.

Also a factor-Damien's looking healthy, and Darwin seems to have digested enough of the offense to be a factor.

ChiefRocka
01-02-2020, 09:55 AM

You will observe no less than three screen passes to Shady during this playoff run for > 20 yards

old_geezer
01-02-2020, 09:55 AM

I told my son this weekend that I think McCoy has been benched. If you need that much rest you're pretty much done. If Williams stays healthy Shady won't be missed IMO.

ptlyon
01-02-2020, 09:57 AM
I told my son this weekend that I think McCoy has been benched. If you need that much rest you're pretty much done. If Williams stays healthy Shady won't be missed IMO.

If this were the case wouldn't it be prudent to cut him if there is a serviceable FS available to replace Thornhill?

TwistedChief
01-02-2020, 10:05 AM
If this were the case wouldn't it be prudent to cut him if there is a serviceable FS available to replace Thornhill?

Not really because a/ we'd only have 2 RBs on the active roster and b/ we can use Thornhill's roster spot to replace Thornhill, no?

Assuming Claiborne comes back, we're back to normal in terms of numbers at CB and we can continue to use Fuller more as a safety while Watts gets more playing time.

notorious
01-02-2020, 10:11 AM
McCoy was responsible for completely turning 2 games against us.

Fuck him.

Lzen
01-02-2020, 10:17 AM

I think Andy doesn't trust him because he has fumbled a few times this year and he still hasn't changed the way he carries the football.

Lzen
01-02-2020, 10:19 AM

The interior line play was still subpar until Wylie got hurt. Wiz is better, although still not awesome.

BUT, with Fisher and Wiz in there, it's serviceable and that's a big reason for the uptick in the running game-both in Andy's willingness to call running plays, and our success in doing so.

Also a factor-Damien's looking healthy, and Darwin seems to have digested enough of the offense to be a factor.

I think that guard they traded for (w/Houston?) might be a pretty good one. And LDT is fine, IMO, as long as he can stay healthy and the guys around him are playing okay. So that just leaves the center position. Yeah, Reiter does not seem to get any push. Time to find a replacement.

ThyKingdomCome15
01-02-2020, 10:50 AM
Darwin gets a little credit as well. Kid is a grinder and gets gritty tough yards. He's a little green in other facets of his game but between the tackles he's really solid.

As for McCoy. He had a huge run wiped out by an ugly fumble against the Colts (essentially in the Red Zone.) Then fumble that was a flat out drop against GB sealed the game. He also fumbled ugly against the Chargers inside the 10 but somehow it went right back to him. I feel better when Darwin is in the game at this point.

-King-
01-02-2020, 10:56 AM
I think Andy doesn't trust him because he has fumbled a few times this year and he still hasn't changed the way he carries the football.

I don't buy that. Andy knew LeSean wouldn't change the way he carries the ball going back to when we signed him. He's always carried the ball that way and until this year, never had any problem with it

I really don't know what to make of it. He was clearly the best RB on the team so I don't know why he wasnt getting any PT the last few games. All the other RBs fumbled balls too so I can't think it's the fumbles that forced him off the field. I'm thinking it's some undisclosed injury that they're trying to rehab.

MahiMike
01-02-2020, 11:08 AM
I WANT SOME SAUSAGE!

Oh Snap
01-02-2020, 11:20 AM
Im not the most confident with our rush offense. Williams had a great game against the chargers. And he made great plays. That 84 yard run was a heads up play by him to keep going until you hear the whistle. He didnt give up on the run. But the chargers defense did on that play. Obviously I'll take the result. But Im not sure you can look at the running game as a strength.

carcosa
01-02-2020, 11:37 AM
Damien Williams is heathy, boys. Let’s fucking do this.

FUCKING YIP!!!!!!!!!

Pitt Gorilla
01-02-2020, 11:47 AM

Exactly what I was going to post.

BWillie
01-02-2020, 11:57 AM
Two freak playing against a charger defense with nothing to play for. I doubt we all of a sudden have a good run have.

Hammock Parties
01-02-2020, 12:06 PM
Two freak playing against a charger defense with nothing to play for. I doubt we all of a sudden have a good run have.

You didn't read what was written.

We are becoming a very efficient third-down running team.

This is HUGE for this team. It has been an off and on problem for the team throughout the Andy Reid era.

To be the best in the NFL at converting third downs running the football in the last seven games is HUGE.

HUGE. BIGGER THAN YOUR DICK IS SMALL!!!

Wallcrawler
01-02-2020, 12:21 PM
Shady not playing football for a month, I don't really know how that much time off is going to benefit him.

In the games he has played, he hast really done that much that's good. Fumbles have cost the Chiefs dearly in 3 games. Shady owns two of those. Williams' fumble 6 is arguably worse. At least the defense got a chance to defend Shadys turnovers. Hes fumbled others that we somehow got back. My blood pressure will skyrocket every time he touches the ball.

At this point, if Shady doesnt play another snap, I dont feel like the team loses anything. If he does play, youve always got the threat of him just butterfingering the game away.

Ball security cant be a weakness going into the playoffs. I'd go Damien/Darwin with Shady active only in case of an injury.

Wallcrawler
01-02-2020, 12:27 PM

This is HUGE for this team. It has been an off and on problem for the team throughout the Andy Reid era.

To be the best in the NFL at converting third downs running the football in the last seven games is HUGE.

Andy religiously struggles with 3rd and 2-3. Being able to actually run the ball for these is huge.

When you can't do that, you get Reidtard showing up on the sideline like in Tennessee, taking your qb who has thrown over 400 yards to this point, and calling the dumbest ****ing concept imaginable. A ONE OPTION pass to the worst receiver on the team, Blake Bell.

Why Andy didnt give Pat the entire field, who knows. But being able to run and get those, its going to infinitely reduce the appearances of the Reidtard, and allow our offense to stay on the field.

oldman
01-02-2020, 12:28 PM
I think that guard they traded for (w/Houston?) might be a pretty good one. And LDT is fine, IMO, as long as he can stay healthy and the guys around him are playing okay. So that just leaves the center position. Yeah, Reiter does not seem to get any push. Time to find a replacement.

This. It's time to quit putting Gs at C and expecting a different outcome. If Allegretti isn't the answer, start looking for someone in the draft that can play the position. Look at Big 10 Cs. I saw a couple over the last few weeks that would make Reiter go cry to mama. LDT gets a lot of flak because a lot of that inside pressure/lack of push comes from Reiter not taking care of business.

Molitoth
01-02-2020, 12:33 PM
I'm still not seeing any running lanes/holes from our Oline.
IF we have a good running play, it's usually because our RB has made an excellent effort on his own. IE: see Williams vs Chargers.

Our Oline needs some major improvement in the run blocking game in order for our Running game to be considered a strength... imo.

jerryaldini
01-02-2020, 12:42 PM
Andy has diversified the offense last few weeks with the underneath game and running on 3rd down. This has been dictated by defenses playing soft zone. Andy has the offense setup to take whatever the defense gives. Oline doing a better job in pass protect.

Easy 6
01-02-2020, 01:02 PM
I'm still not seeing any running lanes/holes from our Oline.
IF we have a good running play, it's usually because our RB has made an excellent effort on his own. IE: see Williams vs Chargers.

Our Oline needs some major improvement in the run blocking game in order for our Running game to be considered a strength... imo.

It’s definitely fair to call it IMPROVED, as evidenced by the numbers... but yeah, calling it a STRENGTH is too much

It’s not gonna be a strength until they put some real talent on the interior line... LG and C need replaced outright, and LDT needs some serious competition at a minimum

BWillie
01-02-2020, 01:12 PM

You could be right, but I tend to remember us getting stuffed on 3rd and 1 against Indianapolis. If you are trying to run on 3rd down, it better be no more than 1 yard otherwise otherwise you're doing it wrong.

Hammock Parties
01-02-2020, 01:24 PM
You could be right, but I tend to remember us getting stuffed on 3rd and 1 against Indianapolis.

that wasn't in the last seven weeks nimrod

the chiefs have picked up multiple 3rd and 1,2,3 downs in the last month with the run

Megatron96
01-02-2020, 01:36 PM
Hats off to Damien finally getting his game going again. Maybe he really is a late-season RB. Seems like his production improved significantly at the end of last year as well. Or maybe it's just that our OL was finally getting healthy after week 13. Either way, the running game has been performing better in the last quarter, which hopefully gives us some momentum going into the post-season.