PDA

View Full Version : Football CBS dispute with Dish

HemiEd
01-06-2020, 07:48 AM
Any of you have the Pats/Tits game blacked out?

I guess CBS is now doing what they did with DTV back in September, blacking out customers for a rate increase.

I was scrambling getting my attic antenna up to snuff, hadn't even used it in a couple years. Had to watch the game in a guest bedroom on a 32 inch tv. :mad:

Out here in the boonies we don't have good enough internet for streaming.

The Chiefs game this Sunday is also on CBS.

rabblerouser
01-06-2020, 07:53 AM
Oooof

rabblerouser
01-06-2020, 07:53 AM
I have NBC blocked out. It's some straight kind of bullshit

oldman
01-06-2020, 07:58 AM
Is it CBS or your local station? We Dish customers here in KC went through that last summer with KCTV5. Amplified indoor antennas are your friends and they are pretty cheap. https://www.amazon.com/Antenna-Antennas-Amplified-High-Definition-Amplifier/dp/B07Z1QTJ37/ref=sr_1_26?crid=3Q77MEUCR6E2F&keywords=indoor+amplified+hd+digital+tv+antenna+150+mile&qid=1578270571&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011&rnid=2470954011&rps=1&sprefix=indoor+amp%2Caps%2C799&sr=8-26

HemiEd
01-06-2020, 08:08 AM
Is it CBS or your local station? We Dish customers here in KC went through that last summer with KCTV5. Amplified indoor antennas are your friends and they are pretty cheap.

Dish provides the phone number for our local station, so maybe it is just the local one.

I called it several times, always busy. WTF would a local station be doing it for?

assholes.

I have a very good attic antenna, get 11 stations. If we don't have it back by Saturday, I will hook it up to my 55 inch tv.

F150
01-06-2020, 08:11 AM
I tried for 30 minutes to find the second game yesterday on XM radio. I find it is near impossible to listen to games on Sirius XM. And they make it difficult to find even on their web site.

HemiEd
01-06-2020, 08:12 AM
I have NBC blocked out. It's some straight kind of bullshit
What service to you have? We had DTV for over 20 years but AT&T fucked them up beyond tolerable and we switched this year.

oldman
01-06-2020, 08:15 AM
If that's the case, then the dispute is with the local station. Same BS we went through here with Meredith Broadcasting last summer. The thing I like about those indoor antennas is that you don't have to crawl around in the attic or on the roof. I just bought another for our downstairs TV and it took all of about 5 min. to install. About 3 mi. was looking behind all the grandkids junk to find an AC outlet. We found out last summer that it's nice to have local weather during storm season downstairs.

treeguy27
01-06-2020, 08:16 AM
Like mentioned previously we just went through this with Dish. Call them and threaten to cancel your service. They will give you a significant discount on your rate. I got $50 a month off the bill for a year. They'll also send you a free antenna to get the OTA signal. Even if you have an antenna already, take their free one and put it in another room. I've gotten a free Roku from them previously as well. It's worth the 15 minute phone call.

mlyonsd
01-06-2020, 08:18 AM
Yeah it must be a dispute with the local stations. We have DISH and still have CBS here.

Eleazar
01-06-2020, 08:52 AM
I tried for 30 minutes to find the second game yesterday on XM radio. I find it is near impossible to listen to games on Sirius XM. And they make it difficult to find even on their web site.

Sirius's website says the games Sunday will be on NFL, Channel 88. I believe all playoff games are on the main NFL channel.

F150
01-06-2020, 09:22 AM
Sirius's website says the games Sunday will be on NFL, Channel 88. I believe all playoff games are on the main NFL channel.

Thank you Ill check that out, I tried yesterday but then sometimes the internets win

HemiEd
01-06-2020, 09:28 AM
Like mentioned previously we just went through this with Dish. Call them and threaten to cancel your service. They will give you a significant discount on your rate. I got $50 a month off the bill for a year. They'll also send you a free antenna to get the OTA signal. Even if you have an antenna already, take their free one and put it in another room. I've gotten a free Roku from them previously as well. It's worth the 15 minute phone call.
Well I tried, that is 40 minutes of my life I won't be getting back. The best the gal from the Phillipines could do was a one time credit of $30

Eleazar
01-06-2020, 09:57 AM
Thank you Ill check that out, I tried yesterday but then sometimes the internets win

It's confusing for the regular season because you have to have the highest tiered Sirius package to get the NFL games, and then they are on channels 225 and up. But for the postseason I think they're all on that channel.

treeguy27
01-06-2020, 10:08 AM
Well I tried, that is 40 minutes of my life I won't be getting back. The best the gal from the Phillipines could do was a one time credit of $30

That sucks. The first CSR I spoke to tried to give me just the antenna. I told him that wasn't enough and I was gonna cancel. He transferred me to the retentions dept. The lady there gave me the $50/month credit without much argument. I had her throw in the antenna as well. They've been losing customers like crazy with all of the cord cutting going on. This was last summer, maybe they've changed their policies.

displacedinMN
01-06-2020, 11:12 AM
Hearst ownership...not networks

With DTV. May be resolved now. Check the stations website for info.

Beef Supreme
01-06-2020, 11:18 AM
You would think if these asshats were at all worried that people cutting the cord will eventually run them out of business completely, both the networks and the service providers would quit having these dick measuring contests and deliver a product at a reasonable price.

Iowanian
01-06-2020, 11:32 AM
I had lost CBS also. I was pretty irritated and it's probably the straw that breaks the dish back and puts me to streaming.

HemiEd
01-06-2020, 12:04 PM
I had lost CBS also. I was pretty irritated and it's probably the straw that breaks the dish back and puts me to streaming.

I wish that was an option here but it isn't.

It has been pretty strange watching TV totally live with commercials and no dvr. :banghead:

cooper barrett
01-06-2020, 12:14 PM
My local CBS will not pay CBS to broadcast Sunday Games unless the Dolts are playing. They play the Andy Griffith show instead.

This has been less this year but still No 1PM game followed by the Dolts at 4. When Dolts had a bye, my local didn't show crap, just Opey and Andy

I have found the streaming off your phone is much better than Dish in rural areas

Bill Brasky
01-06-2020, 12:34 PM
I also have a TV/ISP who is feuding with CBS. It just pushes me to streaming that much faster. It's no wonder they're hemorrhaging money since they treat customers like crap.

HemiEd
01-06-2020, 02:02 PM
I also have a TV/ISP who is feuding with CBS. It just pushes me to streaming that much faster. It's no wonder they're hemorrhaging money since they treat customers like crap.

Agreed. Never had this problem with DTV.

They have forced me to spend time on my antenna system and get it in great working order.

I hadn't realized that all of my wall outlets except one downstairs were not being utilized since Dish is wireless to the other TVs.

I was able to hook the attic antenna up to three of the TVs now by utilizing the existing wall outlets and they work great with the ability to switch sources.

Watching tv off of the antenna almost feels like I am getting something for free, LMAO

Mephistopheles Janx
01-06-2020, 02:11 PM
Agreed. Never had this problem with DTV.

They have forced me to spend time on my antenna system and get it in great working order.

I hadn't realized that all of my wall outlets except one downstairs were not being utilized since Dish is wireless to the other TVs.

I was able to hook the attic antenna up to three of the TVs now by utilizing the existing wall outlets and they work great with the ability to switch sources.

Watching tv off of the antenna almost feels like I am getting something for free, LMAO

Place blame on the company who owns your local CBS station... not Dish/DTV/Cable. They are telling these companies that if they wish to *rebroadcast* what they already broadcast OTA for free... they need to pay even more than they already do to do so. If they agree to pay huge sums to re-transmit the OTA broadcast... it is you who effectively winds up paying for what you can get OTA for free.

Hearst is among the *WORST* regarding this issue.

rtmike
01-06-2020, 03:07 PM
cooper, I love your signature.

I was in Target last week and the cash register gal was wearing a short shirt showing her belly button. Looks just like this gal.
Lol, I was looking for her name badge and her nips got hard. I think she thought I was checking her out....well I was.
But being in this wheelchair I have the perfect view. Sometimes I just wanna roll up to some gal with biggins and bury my head between them and start shaking side to side, “ruh, ruh, ruh.”

KChiefs1
01-09-2020, 07:34 AM
Dish & KOMU in Columbia MO have been in a dispute for months so I haven’t had NBC since October.

Dartgod
01-09-2020, 07:39 AM
Dish & KOMU in Columbia MO have been in a dispute for months so I haven’t had NBC since October.

KOMU is owned by the University of Missouri.

rabblerouser
01-09-2020, 08:12 AM

Same

ScareCrowe
01-09-2020, 08:34 AM
That sucks. The first CSR I spoke to tried to give me just the antenna. I told him that wasn't enough and I was gonna cancel. He transferred me to the retentions dept. The lady there gave me the $50/month credit without much argument. I had her throw in the antenna as well. They've been losing customers like crazy with all of the cord cutting going on. This was last summer, maybe they've changed their policies.

The key is you said you were going to cancel & got transferred to their retention department. They're the ones who can really offer something. If you really want to negotiate with your cable company just start off by saying you want to cancel your service. Don't tell them you want this or that or you're going to cancel. Tell them you're calling to cancel, they will then transfer you to retention & you can negotiate. Don't worry they will give you many chances to back out if you don't want to cancel.

HemiEd
01-10-2020, 06:26 AM
The key is you said you were going to cancel & got transferred to their retention department. They're the ones who can really offer something. If you really want to negotiate with your cable company just start off by saying you want to cancel your service. Don't tell them you want this or that or you're going to cancel. Tell them you're calling to cancel, they will then transfer you to retention & you can negotiate. Don't worry they will give you many chances to back out if you don't want to cancel.

I did call for their retention department and it was in the Philipines. I probably gave in too early as I was sick of being on hold and spending time on it. Having no actual intention of canceling( the options are worse ) I just couldn't push the lie really.

I prefer to watch the games alone but a couple of my neighbors are not so fortunate to have an antenna system and are coming over to watch the game now.