PDA

View Full Version : Football Baylor coach Matt Rhule is gonna be coaching the Panthers

dlphg9
01-07-2020, 11:07 AM
****ing 6 year $60 mil with $10 mil in incentives.

Heard on 610

Mile High Mania
01-07-2020, 11:19 AM
Damn.

Sofa King
01-07-2020, 12:15 PM
Jesus

Pitt Gorilla
01-07-2020, 02:12 PM
The guy that spit on himself and got his ass kicked in their bowl game?

Kiimo
01-07-2020, 02:14 PM
Lol at Baylor fans being mad about it. How delusional do you have to be in Waco?

WhawhaWhat
01-08-2020, 03:24 PM
The guy is from New York and somehow the Giants couldn't land him.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I’d have enjoyed playing for Matt Rhule. Listen to this <a href="https://t.co/3fyU1GjOOq">pic.twitter.com/3fyU1GjOOq</a></p>&mdash; Geoff Schwartz (@geoffschwartz) <a href="https://twitter.com/geoffschwartz/status/1215012717557407754?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 8, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Mecca
01-08-2020, 03:26 PM
The Giants refused to match the money offer.....Dave Gettleman is a bad GM.

Megatron96
01-08-2020, 03:50 PM
Does anyone know why they hired this guy? His W/L record isn't terribly compelling.

Deberg_1990
01-08-2020, 03:52 PM
Does anyone know why they hired this guy? His W/L record isn't terribly compelling.

Was wondering the same thing. Why was he a hot candidate now?

01-08-2020, 03:53 PM
The Giants refused to match the money offer.....Dave Gettleman is a bad GM.

Gettleman is a moron

staylor26
01-08-2020, 03:54 PM

He completely turned around two programs in just a couple seasons.

WhawhaWhat
01-08-2020, 03:59 PM

He started at Temple which was a 2 win team and turned them around in two years to have back to back 10 win seasons. The school in it's entire history had one 10 win season before that. Then he went to Baylor which was a 1 win team in the middle of being Rape U and turned them in two years to win 11 games and play in the Sugar Bowl.

The dude rebuilt 2 teams in short order. You can't just look at the W-L record.

Pitt Gorilla
01-08-2020, 04:02 PM
He started at Temple which was a 2 win team and turned them around in two years to have back to back 10 win seasons. The school in it's entire history had one 10 win season before that. Then he went to Baylor which was a 1 win team in the middle of being Rape U and turned them in two years to win 11 games and play in the Sugar Bowl.

The dude rebuilt 2 teams in short order. You can't just look at the W-L record.That's worth $9-10 million per in the NFL?

Megatron96
01-08-2020, 04:50 PM

The dude rebuilt 2 teams in short order. You can't just look at the W-L record.

Okay, makes more sense now, thanks for the background.

Though I won't be surprised if he's fired in two years. College coaches rarely produce great results early in their NFL careers.

staylor26
01-08-2020, 04:52 PM
Okay, makes more sense now, thanks for the background.

Though I won't be surprised if he's fired in two years. College coaches rarely produce great results early in their NFL careers.

He at least has coaching experience in the NFL.

He’s definitely impressive. I wouldn’t be shocked either way though.

Megatron96
01-08-2020, 05:13 PM
He at least has coaching experience in the NFL.

He’s definitely impressive. I wouldn’t be shocked either way though.

He does? Well, maybe he'll do better than I initially thought.

Don't know anything about the guy really; just saw snippets of his acceptance speech, and saw his W/L record on the ticker below. Not feeling a big urge to do any due diligence on the guy until he starts winning some games.

staylor26
01-08-2020, 05:16 PM
He does? Well, maybe he'll do better than I initially thought.

Don't know anything about the guy really; just saw snippets of his acceptance speech, and saw his W/L record on the ticker below. Not feeling a big urge to do any due diligence on the guy until he starts winning some games.

He was an assistant OL coach for the Giants in 2012. Not much, but it’s better than no NFL experience that’s for sure.

WhawhaWhat
01-08-2020, 05:16 PM
That's worth $9-10 million per in the NFL?

Helps everyone else get a raise.

dlphg9
01-08-2020, 05:30 PM
Hes going to the best possible team that had a vacancy. The Panthers have a decent roster and aren't in the group of teams that give their HCs a year to turn it around before they fire them and move onto the next one. They also have the 7th overall pick, so they could go QB if they wanted or they could see what they have in Allen or Grier.

Kiimo
01-08-2020, 05:34 PM
The best possible team is the Giants because the owner of the Panthers is bad

FAX
01-08-2020, 05:46 PM
Exhibit A: Why the Rooney Rule is a scam.

I rest my case. (And my cigar box where I keep all my memorabilia.)

FAX

Graystoke
01-08-2020, 07:17 PM
Sure, but how’s his knees?

ChiefsFanatic
01-09-2020, 01:23 AM

The dude rebuilt 2 teams in short order. You can't just look at the W-L record.Those are great accomplishments, but college football is about recruiting not coaching. Sure, it helps to have a good coach, but if you don't have a stack of 4 and 5 star recruits every year, you will more than likely never win a championship.

Bill Snyder may be one of the best college coaches ever, turning 2 and 3 star recruits into blue chippers, but does anyone think he would have been successful in the NFL? I hope not.

How Marrone has scammed 2 NFL teams into head coaching jobs I will never understand. Saban was beyond terrible in Miami. Spurrier was a joke in the NFL.

The exception to this is Jimmy Johnson. And it took the single worst trade in NFL history for him to turn the Cowboys into Champs. And they hit on so many draft picks that Derp-Derp Switzer led that roster to a ring, and that makes JJ the biggest outlier ever.

Any NFL team that gives a college head coach with that resume a contract like that deserves all the bad football they are going to have to watch.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

staylor26
01-09-2020, 01:48 AM
Those are great accomplishments, but college football is about recruiting not coaching. Sure, it helps to have a good coach, but if you don't have a stack of 4 and 5 star recruits every year, you will more than likely never win a championship.

Bill Snyder may be one of the best college coaches ever, turning 2 and 3 star recruits into blue chippers, but does anyone think he would have been successful in the NFL? I hope not.

How Marrone has scammed 2 NFL teams into head coaching jobs I will never understand. Saban was beyond terrible in Miami. Spurrier was a joke in the NFL.

The exception to this is Jimmy Johnson. And it took the single worst trade in NFL history for him to turn the Cowboys into Champs. And they hit on so many draft picks that Derp-Derp Switzer led that roster to a ring, and that makes JJ the biggest outlier ever.

Any NFL team that gives a college head coach with that resume a contract like that deserves all the bad football they are going to have to watch.

Assuming he’s going to fail just because he’s a college coach is a lazy fucking take. It’s not like the guy has no experience in the NFL.

There’s a team sitting as the #1 seed with a predominately running QB. The NFL is constantly evolving. Just because it hasn’t worked out much in the past, doesn’t mean it never will.

He’s an impressive dude with a great resume and to be dismissive of all that just because he’s a college coach reeks of ignorance. That doesn’t mean he’s going to be successful, but it’s easy to see why he’s so highly thought of in NFL circles.

ChiefsFanatic
01-09-2020, 03:48 AM
Assuming he’s going to fail just because he’s a college coach is a lazy fucking take. It’s not like the guy has no experience in the NFL.

There’s a team sitting as the #1 seed with a predominately running QB. The NFL is constantly evolving. Just because it hasn’t worked out much in the past, doesn’t mean it never will.

He’s an impressive dude with a great resume and to be dismissive of all that just because he’s a college coach reeks of ignorance. That doesn’t mean he’s going to be successful, but it’s easy to see why he’s so highly thought of in NFL circles.There are only 6 players in the NFL who have a contract with more guaranteed money. That's players not coaches.

He has never been an NFL head coach and he has a $60+ million dollar guaranteed contract. The only way he won't be a bust is if he wins a Super Bowl, and sooner rather than later.

College head coaches have a proven track record of being failures as NFL head coaches. You can't ignore that data.

And I gave big name examples of college coaches failing in the NFL, along with 1 that did succeed. Or call it 1.5 that succeeded if you wanna give Switzer credit for winning with JJ's players.

I also provided reasoning behind my statement, which was that college football is more about recruiting than being a good coach. It does not matter if you are a great motivator, or leader, or you can scheme the crap out of the Xs & Os, if you don't have talented players. That's not to say that specific teams can't have great seasons, like a Boise State, or that coaches can excel, like Bill Snyder, but those guys aren't winning any championships.

Maybe he will be the next Jimmy Johnson, but more than likely he is the next Spurrier or Saban. But even if he is the next Doug Marrone, he isn't worth his contract.

RedRaider56
01-09-2020, 07:12 AM
There are only 6 players in the NFL who have a contract with more guaranteed money. That's players not coaches.

He has never been an NFL head coach and he has a $60+ million dollar guaranteed contract. The only way he won't be a bust is if he wins a Super Bowl, and sooner rather than later.

College head coaches have a proven track record of being failures as NFL head coaches. You can't ignore that data.

And I gave big name examples of college coaches failing in the NFL, along with 1 that did succeed. Or call it 1.5 that succeeded if you wanna give Switzer credit for winning with JJ's players.

I also provided reasoning behind my statement, which was that college football is more about recruiting than being a good coach. It does not matter if you are a great motivator, or leader, or you can scheme the crap out of the Xs & Os, if you don't have talented players. That's not to say that specific teams can't have great seasons, like a Boise State, or that coaches can excel, like Bill Snyder, but those guys aren't winning any championships.

Maybe he will be the next Jimmy Johnson, but more than likely he is the next Spurrier or Saban. But even if he is the next Doug Marrone, he isn't worth his contract.

Rhule didn't have gobs of 4* and 5* players at Baylor. Those all go to UT and OU. He was successful with primarily 3* players with a couple of 4* sprinkled in.

Megatron96
01-09-2020, 02:13 PM
As I stated above, I know next to nothing about Rhule.

That said, it's a statistical fact that college coaches coming into the NFl as HCs generally aren't successful.

However, he is starting with most of a solid team. CAR has a solid defense and a good running game. There is the QB question, and they could probably use some help at WR and maybe even at TE. But they can probably address those issues fairly well during the off-season.

And I don't believe that he has to win a SB to prove that he isn't a bust. He does have to produce a consistent winner, probably at least 2-3 trips into the playoffs, and at least an even record in the playoffs though, IMO.

I think overall the odds are against him being successful along those parameters, but as I said he does have most of the ingredients already in house. We'll see how he handles it.

DeepPurple
01-09-2020, 02:25 PM
Bill Belichick New England Patriots $12,500,000

Pete Carroll Seattle Seahawks $11,000,000

Jon Gruden Oakland Raiders $10,000,000

Sean Payton New Orleans Saints $9,000,000

Andy Reid Kansas City Chiefs $7,500,000

John Harbaugh Baltimore Ravens $7,000,000

Mike Tomlin Pittsburgh Steelers $7,000,000

Ron Rivera Carolina Panthers $6,500,000

Jason Garrett Dallas Cowboys $6,000,000

Matt LaFleur Green Bay Packers $5,000,000

Bill O’Brien Houston Texans 2023 $5,000,000

Mike Zimmer Minnesota Vikings $5,000,000

Dan Quinn Atlanta Falcons $4,500,000

Jay Gruden Washington Redskins $4,000,000

College Coaches, Pete Carroll has been in 2 SB's at Seattle and won 1, after he coached USC to 2 Nat'l Championships but he did coach the Jets before USC. Jim Harbaugh took the 49ers to the SB after coaching at Stanford, but has since gone back to college at Michigan. Bill O'Brien has won the AFC South with the Texans and went there from the Penn State head coach position. Tom Coughlin coached Boston College before going to the Jaguars and latter 2 SB's with the Giants. Jimmy Johnson coached the Miami Hurricanes to a Nat'l Championship and then won 2 SB's with the Dallas Cowboys. There aren't many success stories of college head coaches jumping to the NFL, and there are many failures. Bobby Petrino was probably the biggest have quit the Atlanta Falcons in the middle of a season.

staylor26
01-09-2020, 02:30 PM
Who cares what they paid him?

I get when people worry about player salaries due to the salary cap, but who gives a flying fuck otherwise?

Sassy Squatch
01-09-2020, 02:30 PM
Why does that matter?

Mecca
01-09-2020, 02:33 PM
It only matters to owners who think the price of a good coach just went up.

Sassy Squatch
01-09-2020, 02:39 PM
It's an outlier anyway. He was making over 4 million AAV at Baylor BEFORE his contract extension through 2027, which almost assuredly had a pretty nice bump in compensation. Baylor gave him all the leverage he needed to pry a contract like that away from the Panthers.

Pitt Gorilla
01-09-2020, 02:57 PM
Who cares what they paid him?

I get when people worry about player salaries due to the salary cap, but who gives a flying **** otherwise?There may be some players that care. Maybe they won't, but it wouldn't surprise me if some did. What has he done in the NFL to earn that contract?

Skyy God
01-09-2020, 02:58 PM
The best possible team is the Giants because the owner of the Panthers is bad

Old owner or new??