PDA

View Full Version : Football New NFL TV Contract Speculation

FloridaMan88
01-09-2020, 07:39 PM
ESPN’s MNF contract expires in 2021 and the other TV contracts expire in 2022.

From The Athletic:

CBS Sports, which pays $1 billion annually for the Sunday afternoon package, is ready to substantially increase its fee and perhaps use its streaming service, CBS All Access, in a bid for part of Sunday Ticket or RedZone, sources said. CBS declined to comment. CBS recently merged with Viacom, so the company can better afford to play in these expensive waters.

Word floated last month that Disney’s ABC had designs on the CBS package or NBC’s Sunday Night package, and this week one high-profile analyst predicted CBS would lose the NFL.

“We believe CBS will lose Sunday afternoon NFL rights to either NBC or ABC, who are both keenly interested in having two packages (despite CBS’ long history with the NFL, its balance sheet does not give it enough firepower),” LightShed Partners’ Rich Greenfield wrote. “We believe Fox would be interested in a combo of Sunday afternoon and Sunday or Monday Night, which will drive NBC and ESPN/ABC to pay up meaningfully to retain their primetime rights.”

MMXcalibur
01-09-2020, 07:48 PM
I'd say move MNF back to ABC, but we'll still get a good dose of Booger.

Fuck it, move MNF to The CW.

tyecopeland
01-09-2020, 08:23 PM

That ESPN broadcast needs a whole new crew. I'd rather have Dennis Miller back than what they've had the last two years. Or the terrible marriage of tirico and kornheiser. Thay would still be better.

RealSNR
01-09-2020, 08:25 PM
TruTV ftw!!!!

TribalElder
01-09-2020, 08:33 PM

**** it, move MNF to The CW.

I read somewhere that the MNF team was interested in hiring Romo

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/sports/tony-romo-espn-cbs-record-breaking-contract

Pasta Little Brioni
01-09-2020, 08:41 PM
Monday night Booger and some guy that sold out for some shit show like Holy Moley is the best they could do. Really??'

Hoover
01-09-2020, 08:47 PM
Booger is toast

And I agree, return MNF to a broadcast network and it will be crazy again.

I’d like to see a deal like this.

CBS has a Sunday afternoon package
Fox has the other Sunday afternoon package
ABC has MNF - ESPN/ABC get Thursday night and Saturday games
NBC keeps SNF and some Saturday, and Thanksgiving game

Screw the NFL network

FloridaMan88
01-09-2020, 09:06 PM
I read somewhere that the MNF team was interested in hiring Romo

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/sports/tony-romo-espn-cbs-record-breaking-contract

Romo wants to announce Super Bowls so the MNF package would probably have to move from ESPN back to ABC for that to happen.

ping2000
01-09-2020, 09:07 PM
New contract needs to include a "no booger" clause.

philfree
01-09-2020, 09:46 PM
Doesn't this mean the cap is going way up as well? We should have plenty of cap as time goes on to sign Mahomes and Jones to long term contracts.

Hoover
01-09-2020, 10:00 PM
Yup

Monkey God
01-10-2020, 01:46 AM
Now that CBS isn't going to have the SEC package I would think they have even more money to spend.

Buehler445
01-10-2020, 02:17 AM
So I have no idea. Are we all sure they’re going to pay up? Eventually the live sports bubble will burst. I mean ESPN on the content side is in shambles. I can’t imagine they are wanting to pay through the nose for MNF when all people do is complain about their personalities announcing it.

NBA got a huge bump their last time. Are those networks happy with their returns?

I hope it does. But I’m afraid it won’t

Nickhead
01-10-2020, 02:31 AM

before or after riverdale? ROFL

tyecopeland
01-10-2020, 05:29 AM
So I have no idea. Are we all sure they’re going to pay up? Eventually the live sports bubble will burst. I mean ESPN on the content side is in shambles. I can’t imagine they are wanting to pay through the nose for MNF when all people do is complain about their personalities announcing it.

NBA got a huge bump their last time. Are those networks happy with their returns?

ESPN may be hurting but Disney is not.

I imagine that the NFL has at least one more big TV contract before the bubble bursts. Of course im not helping when I watch most games on my phone on nfl mobile. But I did pay them $10 to watch redzone on my phone all season

MeaTy The Pimp
01-10-2020, 06:08 AM
New contract needs to include a "no booger" clause.

Also needs to be a No Fouts Clause as well. I think Fouts is worse than Booger.

Deberg_1990
01-10-2020, 06:52 AM
Monday Night Football to Netflix or Amazon

pugsnotdrugs19
01-10-2020, 06:59 AM
Doesn't this mean the cap is going way up as well? We should have plenty of cap as time goes on to sign Mahomes and Jones to long term contracts.

I would think so for certain since it’s dealing with revenue.

dirk digler
01-10-2020, 07:28 AM
The NFL needs to figure out what to do with streaming games because they have no plan as of right now outside of forcing everyone to use Sunday Ticket and they are so far behind the other leagues.

DiaperBoy27
01-10-2020, 08:12 AM
I just hope Fox doesn't get more games

chiefzilla1501
01-10-2020, 08:23 AM
Romo and nantz are a great pair. Hope they don't get split apart. If espn is willing to spend that kind of money, maybe they should worry about getting better games.

Hoover
01-10-2020, 08:24 AM

19 of the 20 most viewed shows on TV last year were live sporting events.

Deberg_1990
01-10-2020, 08:40 AM
19 of the 20 most viewed shows on TV last year were live sporting events.

That’s why live sports are so attractive. They are DVR proof for the most part.

Most people like to watch live sports events live.

Spott
01-10-2020, 09:14 AM
Hopefully Directv gets the Sunday Ticket so I can continue to get it for free.

Dayze
01-10-2020, 09:19 AM
I would pay for a subscription that just allowed me to watch the game w/out announcers but still have crowd noise.

I watched a Bama game this year on one of the ESPN channels that was I guess a simulcast of the game, but on this particular channel the entire game was broadcast from the sky cam behind the offense on every play, an no announcers. It was glorious.

notorious
01-10-2020, 09:24 AM
I would pay for a subscription that just allowed me to watch the game w/out announcers but still have crowd noise.

I watched a Bama game this year on one of the ESPN channels that was I guess a simulcast of the game, but on this particular channel the entire game was broadcast from the sky cam behind the offense on every play, an no announcers. It was glorious.

WE'VE BEEN OVER THIS DAYZE.

notorious
01-10-2020, 09:27 AM
For sports and other broadcasts in proper 5.1 audio, the dialog (in this case game commentary) is sent to the center channel speaker. So if you set up your receiver for 5.1 speakers and just disconnect or mute or don't have a center channel, you get to experience the game in eerie silence, like you're actually there.

Dayze
01-10-2020, 11:16 AM
WE'VE BEEN OVER THIS DAYZE.

Yeah, I got all jazzed after your suggestion a while back; turns out my sound system is pretty basic; just a sound bar and sub; and don't have the option to turn down the center channel. It was a cheapy-buy thing at Costco, so pretty basic.:(

I double check again this weekend but I think I just have options for Bass, Treble and sound type (Movie, Sports, Clear, etc).

Serves me right for buying a cheap set up. lol

Buehler445
01-10-2020, 12:36 PM
ESPN may be hurting but Disney is not.

I imagine that the NFL has at least one more big TV contract before the bubble bursts. Of course im not helping when I watch most games on my phone on nfl mobile. But I did pay them $10 to watch redzone on my phone all season

I get Disney has more cash than the Federal Reserve, but one thing they also have is sharp pencils. They've shown a propensity to not throw good money after bad, See Star Wars. Shit fell a little short and they nuked EVERYTHING.

I dunno, maybe ESPN has come out upright on this MNF deal, but as much heat as theyve taken AND as shitty as their matchups have been it's possible Disney could remove ESPN from the running for NFL.

But like I said, I know nothing.