PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Win the toss, take the ball?

Chiefnj2
01-17-2020, 08:49 AM
What do you think? If K.C. wins the coin toss would you want the ball in order to try and jump out to a lead? I think the benefit of a nice long, prolonged opening drive outweighs getting the ball to start the second half.

The D will need as much as possible in the first half so they don’t wear down tackling Henry.

jjchieffan
01-17-2020, 08:52 AM
Nope. I like having the opportunity to finish the half and start the 2nd half with the ball. Second quarter is our quarter anyway. Let the Titans start out hot. It won't matt. This they can't keep up with this team.

The Franchise
No

Hamwallet
Nothing kills a teams running game quicker then needing to score points fast. Take the ball and go up 7-0 really damn quick.

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-17-2020, 08:56 AM
NO! If by some chance we're tied or behind at half the last thing you want is a Henry lead 10 minute drive to start the half.

Coochie liquor
01-17-2020, 08:59 AM
Defer. I have a good feeling the defense is tired of hearing about Henry, and about how they looked early in the season. I think the D is gonna come out and set the tone. Adding Suggs to the defense will pay off in spades not only with his playing, but with his film breakdown and seeing the way the other team plays. Double dip at the end of half and to start the 3rd and put the game out of reach. Let Vrabel run Henry into the ground then.

Dartgod
01-17-2020, 08:59 AM
No. Status quo. If we start treating this game different than any other game, it sends a message to the players that we are afraid of these guys.

Chiefnj2
01-17-2020, 09:01 AM
Is there a stat that demonstrates the deferring team is more likely to have the ball at the end of the first half?

Chris Meck
01-17-2020, 09:02 AM
No, for the reasons listed above PLUS:

Henry gets most dangerous in the second half.

In week 10, he had like 40 yards in the first half.

140 in the second.

We've got a better shot at playing the Titans running game tough in the first part of the game.

We get some stuffs and get up big and we'll take it away from them.

We just need to see the last 3 quarters' offense and we'll be fine.

Chiefnj2
01-17-2020, 09:09 AM
No, for the reasons listed above PLUS:

Henry gets most dangerous in the second half.

In week 10, he had like 40 yards in the first half.

140 in the second.

We've got a better shot at playing the Titans running game tough in the first part of the game.

We get some stuffs and get up big and we'll take it away from them.

We just need to see the last 3 quarters' offense and we'll be fine.

Isn’t a large part of Henrey’s second half dominance the fact that he began to wear them down in the first half and teams grow tired of tackling him? Thus, limiting first half contact keeps the D fresher for the second half?

493rd
01-17-2020, 09:11 AM
No, defer.

chiefzilla1501
01-17-2020, 09:13 AM
Good call. Derrick Henry gets a lot better in the second half. We're gonna want to limit his second half possessions. Definitely don't want tenn to start the second half.

On that note, also wouldn't be surprised if tenn also chooses to kick.

digger
01-17-2020, 09:13 AM
You don't change what you have done all year, getting the start after the half has helped us alot.

Chris Meck
01-17-2020, 09:16 AM
Isn’t a large part of Henrey’s second half dominance the fact that he began to wear them down in the first half and teams grow tired of tackling him? Thus, limiting first half contact keeps the D fresher for the second half?

He's gonna get his UNLESS we get so far ahead they have to abandon the run. And that team was running down 9 points in the fourth quarter in week 10.

No, I think the best bet is to go ahead and defer if we win the toss. We've got a better chance of stopping them early and jumping out to a lead. Then we get the ball first possession of the 2nd half and pile on.

ChiefBlueCFC
01-17-2020, 09:16 AM
What do you think? If K.C. wins the coin toss would you want the ball in order to try and jump out to a lead? I think the benefit of a nice long, prolonged opening drive outweighs getting the ball to start the second half.

The D will need as much as possible in the first half so they don’t wear down tackling Henry.

No, definitely getting the ball first second half is crucial, especially if we get a score at the end of the 1st half. It's essentially acts as a turnover and we can bust the game wide open

notorious
01-17-2020, 09:18 AM
The crowd will seek shelter over half. They don't get full force until the 10 minute mark in the 3rd quarter.

If they get the ball the 2nd half it will be quiet.

Kick off to them, and in the second half they won't get the ball until the crowd is roaring.

Vermeil NEVER understood this concept.

Eleazar
01-17-2020, 09:21 AM
They were up 14-0 on Baltimore last week before Henry had really done any damage at all, us going up 7-0 on the opening drive isn't going to cause them to "abandon the run"

Beef Supreme
01-17-2020, 09:34 AM
No

Wallcrawler
01-17-2020, 09:37 AM
Defer. Always. When you get the ball in the third, youre either in a position to add to a solid performance, or try to make up for a subpar one.

If KC is able to double dip on the Titans for 10-14 points, that's huge in this game.

Dayze
01-17-2020, 09:47 AM
I defer; would rather have the ball to start the 2nd.

because the Chiefs offense is potent enough that even if they get the ball with 3:00 to go in the 2nd qtr, they can go down and score.

Plus, the defense will be more eager and willing to tackle Henry in the 1st half. Put the pressure on the Titans to come out in a rocking environment, butt ass cold, and execute a 10 + play drive with no mistakes.

stop them on their 1st drive, then start producing points. if we produce points on each drive, eventually it will add up and make Henry a moot point in the 2nd half.

best way to counter Henry is to be up by multiple possessions and make Tannehill win it with a passing game that doesn't include play action.

Dayze
01-17-2020, 09:48 AM
Defer. Always. When you get the ball in the third, youre either in a position to add to a solid performance, or try to make up for a subpar one.

If KC is able to double dip on the Titans for 10-14 points, that's huge in this game.

that.

Chris Meck
01-17-2020, 09:49 AM
They were up 14-0 on Baltimore last week before Henry had really done any damage at all, us going up 7-0 on the opening drive isn't going to cause them to "abandon the run"

did anyone say that? I don't think anyone said that.

FloridaMan88
01-17-2020, 09:55 AM
I was initially thinking take the ball first, but I agree with deferring to the second half... the defense needs to get a three and out on that first drive though.

Watching Tennessee go on a a long 10+ play opening drive would be concerning.

KCUnited
01-17-2020, 10:00 AM
No. KC's offense seems to be slow starters this season and I believe the 3rd quarter is the where the Titans have done the most damage this season. Would rather start the 2nd half with the ball.

DRM08
01-17-2020, 10:10 AM
Nothing kills a teams running game quicker then needing to score points fast. Take the ball and go up 7-0 really damn quick.

The offense has had a lot of slow starts this season. No point risking a backfire scenario.

Megatron96
01-17-2020, 10:57 AM
No.

mnchiefsguy
01-17-2020, 11:00 AM
Always defer. No changing now.

Scoring to end the half and scoring to begin the second half is too powerful to pass up.

It is emotionally deflating and can be back breaking to the other team.

MahiMike
01-17-2020, 11:01 AM
I want to say take the ball but we tend to get too amped up prior to the game and need time to settle in.

Chiefnj2
01-17-2020, 11:21 AM
On kc’s first offensive drives all season:

TD. 8
FG made: 1
FG miss: 1
Punts: 5
Int: 1

ModSocks
01-17-2020, 11:28 AM
Defer. If you can actually execute the theory, 14 points is greater than 7.

ModSocks
01-17-2020, 11:31 AM
I was initially thinking take the ball first, but I agree with deferring to the second half... the defense needs to get a three and out on that first drive though.

Watching Tennessee go on a a long 10+ play opening drive would be concerning.

First drive scores are never concerning to me. Those are the scripted plays and no adjustments have taken place yet.

The only time i give a shit about 1st drives is if a 3 and out occurs. That generally means the D had you figured out when you stepped on the field, and now YOU have to adjust.

If the Titans go 3-n-out, that means THEY will need to adjust their game plan.

-King-
01-17-2020, 11:32 AM
Is there a stat that demonstrates the deferring team is more likely to have the ball at the end of the first half?

I'm pretty sure I've seen a stat showing that but I can't find it now. But just the chance of having the ball at the end of the half AND at the start of the 2nd half is enough to defer. No other time do you have the chance to have two straight possessions.

lcarus
01-17-2020, 11:35 AM
I've always been a fan of getting the ball to start the 2nd half. Years ago it seemed like teams would always receive if they won the coin toss and now it seems like most teams choose to receive in the 2nd half.

-King-
01-17-2020, 11:38 AM
I've always been a fan of getting the ball to start the 2nd half. Years ago it seemed like teams would always receive if they won the coin toss and now it seems like most teams choose to receive in the 2nd half.

The coin toss rule chances in I think 2008 making it so coaches could defer to the 2nd half. They couldn't before.

O.city
01-17-2020, 11:42 AM
Getting it after half just gives you a chance to set the tone for the 2nd half. Look at last years afc champ game

Plus you can double dip before and after etc

Chiefshrink
01-17-2020, 11:44 AM

This is what Andy really wants to do in this situation I'm sure BUT he will not based on what others have pointed out so far in this thread and it sends a negative message to the team defense especially that he does not have confidence in them so he will defer.

What will be interesting is if the Titans win the toss and possibly defer, so that they can possibly begin the manure shoving back into our asses to establish the 'psychological manhandling physicality' of this game with a potential successful stop on our first possession only to ram down our throats a DH touchdown on their first possession.

lcarus
01-17-2020, 11:46 AM
The coin toss rule chances in I think 2008 making it so coaches could defer to the 2nd half. They couldn't before.

Yeah it's so dumb how they have it set up and it was even worse back then. They should have just made it clear that the team who receives to start the game kicks off to start the 2nd half and vice versa. NFL likes to make things too complicated.

tk13
01-17-2020, 12:19 PM
If we were on the road maybe, to try and knock the crowd out of it, but at home I'd put the defense out to start.

Fansy the Famous Bard
01-17-2020, 12:20 PM
Defer

Chief Roundup
01-17-2020, 12:21 PM
No it is easier to get a possession right before the half and then come out of the half with the ball to get a bigger point differential.

Megatron96
01-17-2020, 01:13 PM
We've deferred every single time we've won the toss in the Mahomes era (probably in the Andy Reid era). You don't fix what ain't broke.

Rasputin
01-17-2020, 01:36 PM
We've had great success all year getting the ball back in the second half no need to do anything different than that.

Lilmrp117
01-17-2020, 01:45 PM

1 TD is not going to kill there running game and force them to score fast. And that's if we even get the TD on the first possession. I say defer.

scho63
01-17-2020, 02:20 PM
Deferring has worked great-I stay the course.

BWillie
01-17-2020, 02:23 PM
We want the ball, and we're going to score.