PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs We Were There........

DJJasonp
01-17-2020, 07:14 PM
While I dont start too many threads, I just felt compelled to document this moment, for I feel like we - as a group - are on the verge of getting a very large monkey off our back on Sunday. Thank you for this forum and the opportunity to do this........

They say, to know where you're going, you gotta know where you've been......

"We Were There" (A cathartic exorcising of playoff demons)

In 90, when Dave Szott was called for a phantom holding call, pushing the potential game-winner back to 52 yards, that the usually-reliable Nick Lowery missed……we were there.

In 93, when Kimble Anders dropped a potential game-tying pass in the endzone before half, Marty forgot Derrick was an elite pass-rusher, and our dreams of making the Super Bowl lie on the frozen buffalo turf with a concussion……we were there.

In 95, the kicker that shall remain nameless, missed 3 field goals, and we lost to an inferior Harbaugh-led team…..we were there (and limbs have yet to thaw).

In 97, a holding call (again) takes a made FG off the board, with the second kick missing, Marty chose Grbac over Gannon, and the Donk lineman doused themselves in Vaseline, and our dreams were crushed by another ill-fated last-minute drive by Grbac…….we were there.

In February of 2000, we all probably will never forget when we heard the news of our hero, Derrick Thomas (who represented our resurgence from the slumber of the 70s and 80s) passed away……we all took the gut punch, and we mourned together.

In 2003, we watched two S**t defenses force zero punts, a ridiculous offensive PI call against Gonzalez turned 7 points into 3, and one inopportune fumble by the Priest, and bested by Fivehead…….yep, we were there.

In 2006, we picked off Fivehead 3 times, didn’t get a first down in the first half, and Fivehead bested us again……..we unfortunately were there.

In 2010, Matt Cassel went 9/18 for 70 yards, we watched Jamaal gather escalades, but succumb to a better Ravens team (and thus may have started the “We need a franchise QB” reckoning)……..we were there.

In 2013, we watched a 28 point lead dissolve by literal and figurative “luck” by a fumble bouncing into the hands of a QB, then turning it into a touchdown…….we were there (and it stung).

In 2015, we finally got the monkey off our back (won a playoff game), but then had an 83-minute late 4th quarter drive, down 2 scores at New England, and fell short of our goal…..but we all hung in there.

In 2016, we held a team to 6 field goals, and while only briefly, tied the game with a late 2 point conversion, only to have it overturned by a fisher holding call on an obvious flop by Harrison……we were there.

In 2017, we lost a 21-3 halftime lead, and watched a pass get defended, but batted back into the hands of Mariota for a touchdown……while chiefs kingdom (and the rest of the civilized world) learned a new interpretation of what “forward progress” means……..we were there (and we were pissed).

On March 4th, 2017, our path in this NFL took a significant turn for the better, and we moved up in the draft and got our franchise QB, Patrick Mahomes II (and even the cross-armed guy celebrated!)…….we were all there (and the glass became half-full!).

In 2018, we got another monkey off our back, and whipped the colts at home, before being 6 inches from the super bowl by the now, excommunicated Dee Ford……..we were there……we were sad, but knew it wasn’t the end.

And that brings us to 2019 season……..and the chiefs (and all of us) finally being on the right side of historic events in the playoffs, and sending air-guitar Watson and b-hole chin O’brien packing. Now, once again, we’re one game away from our ultimate goal…….and time for another monkey to be booted from our back. The titans are the ’90 chiefs………and we know how these things play out when you’re the franchise without a franchise QB…….It’s our time ladies and gentlemen.

So Sunday night, after Clark raises the trophy that’s named after his father, make sure to tilt a cold beverage back, and toast this organization, along with your brothers and sisters in arms who have experience suffering on a level that no other tribe has………and for all those before us who deserved a shot at the bowl (Marty, DT, Tony, Trent, Priest, Jamaal, Saleaumeau, Ross, Lewis, Word, Okoye, etc etc.).

Enjoy the game folks……and whatever happens Sunday, I love every damn one of ya (and we deserve this!)

Naptown Chief
01-17-2020, 07:28 PM
:bravo:

njchiefs
01-17-2020, 07:38 PM
Nice summary of all the heartbreak. Thanks. Very poignant. But when you say “we were there”, do you actually mean you were physically there? Because if you do, please stay away from the stadium on Sunday. If you mean you were there in spirit, watching from home, you missed one. Christmas Day. 1971. Jan Stenurud 31 yards. Wide right. I was there.

Dayze
01-17-2020, 07:43 PM
God damn....it’s stunning to read how snake bit and inept we’ve been pre Mahomes.

I mean, I was there... it seeing it in writing. Holy shit. I hope the pats go through the next 25 years with such an existence

RINGLEADER
01-17-2020, 07:44 PM
My kids have been Chiefs fans for years but Mahomes has made them die-hards. I’ve tried to explain what it has meant to be a Chiefs fan but neither could fully grasp it until they read your excellent post.

Well done.

DJJasonp
01-17-2020, 07:49 PM
Nice summary of all the heartbreak. Thanks. Very poignant. But when you say “we were there”, do you actually mean you were physically there? Because if you do, please stay away from the stadium on Sunday. If you mean you were there in spirit, watching from home, you missed one. Christmas Day. 1971. Jan Stenurud 31 yards. Wide right. I was there.

“There” as mainly emotionally invested, whether in person or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deberg_1990
01-17-2020, 07:54 PM
In 1986 led by a miraculous special teams unit, but couldn’t make up for a lousy offense with a lousy QBs, get pounded by the Jets. We were there....

In 1991 made it past the Raiders, but Martyball was no match for the high powered Bills. We we’re there.....

In 1992 , new QB, but same sad Martyball results. Got pissed pounded by Marion Butts and Stan Humphries. We were there....

The Franchise
01-17-2020, 07:57 PM
Small correction.

We drafted Mahomes on April 27th, 2017 not March 4th.

Wallcrawler
01-17-2020, 07:58 PM
I am often reminded of the Planeteers we have lost over the the years who did not get to see Mahomes get drafted, and the back to back AFC title games at home he has delivered in his first two years starting, and will not get to see the years of amazing moments he has yet to deliver.

It is a very depressing thing that they never got to see this.

I would say that as much as we should try to enjoy this and remember past players and coaches, we should remember the our fellow fans, friends, family, and Planeteers who sat through a two decade playoff win drought, and are no longer here to see the light at the end of the tunnel we are all seeing now.

My good friend, Jim Beasley passed away after the season that Chucky and the Raiders kept us from getting to the playoffs because Jon Baker kicked the fucking ball off out of bounds and they started at the 40.

He absolutely would have loved to see a guy like Mahomes leading his favorite team.

When Pat does deliver a title, whether its this year or another year, it will definitely be bittersweet in that our good friends could not be there to experience it with us.

DRM08
01-17-2020, 07:58 PM
I hope the Patriots go through the next 25 years with such an existence

How about 50 years?

Halfcan
01-17-2020, 08:00 PM
These heartbreaks will be erased soon. For every disappointment that Chief fans have felt, Mahomes will replace it with a happy memory.

Dayze
01-17-2020, 08:03 PM
How about 50 years?

Deal.

MahiMike
01-17-2020, 08:04 PM
Come Sunday, we're gonna go from 'Because Chiefs' to 'Because Mahomes'.

Iowanian
01-17-2020, 08:08 PM
It's no wonder we get nervous when daddy starts drinking again.

smithandrew051
01-17-2020, 08:23 PM
It’s been a pleasure serving alongside you gentlemen. It’s our time.

“When you’re due, you’re due.”

Raiderhater
01-17-2020, 08:28 PM
While I dont start too many threads, I just felt compelled to document this moment, for I feel like we - as a group - are on the verge of getting a very large monkey off our back on Sunday. Thank you for this forum and the opportunity to do this........

They say, to know where you're going, you gotta know where you've been......

"We Were There" (A cathartic exorcising of playoff demons)

In 90, when Dave Szott was called for a phantom holding call, pushing the potential game-winner back to 52 yards, that the usually-reliable Nick Lowery missed……we were there.

In 93, when Kimble Anders dropped a potential game-tying pass in the endzone before half, Marty forgot Derrick was an elite pass-rusher, and our dreams of making the Super Bowl lie on the frozen buffalo turf with a concussion……we were there.

In 95, the kicker that shall remain nameless, missed 3 field goals, and we lost to an inferior Harbaugh-led team…..we were there (and limbs have yet to thaw).

In 97, a holding call (again) takes a made FG off the board, with the second kick missing, Marty chose Grbac over Gannon, and the Donk lineman doused themselves in Vaseline, and our dreams were crushed by another ill-fated last-minute drive by Grbac…….we were there.

In February of 2000, we all probably will never forget when we heard the news of our hero, Derrick Thomas (who represented our resurgence from the slumber of the 70s and 80s) passed away……we all took the gut punch, and we mourned together.

In 2003, we watched two S**t defenses force zero punts, a ridiculous offensive PI call against Gonzalez turned 7 points into 3, and one inopportune fumble by the Priest, and bested by Fivehead…….yep, we were there.

In 2006, we picked off Fivehead 3 times, didn’t get a first down in the first half, and Fivehead bested us again……..we unfortunately were there.

In 2010, Matt Cassel went 9/18 for 70 yards, we watched Jamaal gather escalades, but succumb to a better Ravens team (and thus may have started the “We need a franchise QB” reckoning)……..we were there.

In 2013, we watched a 28 point lead dissolve by literal and figurative “luck” by a fumble bouncing into the hands of a QB, then turning it into a touchdown…….we were there (and it stung).

In 2015, we finally got the monkey off our back (won a playoff game), but then had an 83-minute late 4th quarter drive, down 2 scores at New England, and fell short of our goal…..but we all hung in there.

In 2016, we held a team to 6 field goals, and while only briefly, tied the game with a late 2 point conversion, only to have it overturned by a fisher holding call on an obvious flop by Harrison……we were there.

In 2017, we lost a 21-3 halftime lead, and watched a pass get defended, but batted back into the hands of Mariota for a touchdown……while chiefs kingdom (and the rest of the civilized world) learned a new interpretation of what “forward progress” means……..we were there (and we were pissed).

On March 4th, 2017, our path in this NFL took a significant turn for the better, and we moved up in the draft and got our franchise QB, Patrick Mahomes II (and even the cross-armed guy celebrated!)…….we were all there (and the glass became half-full!).

In 2018, we got another monkey off our back, and whipped the colts at home, before being 6 inches from the super bowl by the now, excommunicated Dee Ford……..we were there……we were sad, but knew it wasn’t the end.

And that brings us to 2019 season……..and the chiefs (and all of us) finally being on the right side of historic events in the playoffs, and sending air-guitar Watson and b-hole chin O’brien packing. Now, once again, we’re one game away from our ultimate goal…….and time for another monkey to be booted from our back. The titans are the ’90 chiefs………and we know how these things play out when you’re the franchise without a franchise QB…….It’s our time ladies and gentlemen.

So Sunday night, after Clark raises the trophy that’s named after his father, make sure to tilt a cold beverage back, and toast this organization, along with your brothers and sisters in arms who have experience suffering on a level that no other tribe has………and for all those before us who deserved a shot at the bowl (Marty, DT, Tony, Trent, Priest, Jamaal, Saleaumeau, Ross, Lewis, Word, Okoye, etc etc.).

Enjoy the game folks……and whatever happens Sunday, I love every damn one of ya (and we deserve this!)

A “nice” recounting of a miserable history.

Is it any wonder so many of us have PTSD when it comes to this franchise?

Raiderhater
01-17-2020, 08:29 PM
How about 50 years?

Still not long enough for the crazy amount of success those arrogant, douchey assholes have had.

Halfcan
01-17-2020, 08:29 PM
It’s been a pleasure serving alongside you gentlemen. It’s our time.

“When you’re due, you’re due.”

:thumb:

We are way overdue.

KC_Lee
01-17-2020, 08:41 PM
We, the citizens of Chiefs' Kingdom, have been witness to a long, long drought of quality QB play...
We have been witness to the Pelluers, the Kreigs, the Bonos, the Grbacs, the Huards, the Cassls, the Quins, the Palkos...
We have been witness to brilliant careers being wasted by the likes of Derrick Thomas, Jammal Charles, Tamba Hali, Will Shields, and many, many more...
We have been witness to losses in the playoffs to Marino, Elway, Kelly, even Jim Fricking Harbaugh...
We have been witness to playoff losses in the most absurd and unpredictable manners, as our fellow citizen DJJasonp has so eloquently outlined...

But no more!

We have THE QB!
I swear to all that is holy and unholy we have Gumby-Superman leading our team.
He bends, in manners that would break other men, and simply flings the ball 40 yards into the wind.

This is our QB!
This is our time!
"There's always next year." and "Because Chiefs" gets buried this weekend.
This time WE hoist the Lamar Hunt trophy and bring it home to its rightful place of honor.

Have faith fellow denizens of Chiefs' Kingdom, if we have learned nothing over the past week it's that no down and distance it to far, no lead is insurmountable, and no team is safe from the power and awe that is our QB....Patrick F*****G Mahomes!!

J Diddy
01-17-2020, 08:45 PM
Small correction.

We drafted Mahomes on April 27th, 2017 not March 4th.

Maybe we were thinking about it on March 4?

Chiefaholic
01-17-2020, 08:59 PM

I was a tad over a month old...

KCTitus
01-17-2020, 09:04 PM
After the 1997 season, I was confident that KC was on the precipice of going to the SB and the filthy Broncos had stolen our chance for glory...

To that end, I was a feverent fan and started posting on the kansascity.com BB full of confidence it was going to happen that next year...

Well...short of the convictions of Bam Morris, Tamarick Vanover and the Monday Night Meltdown, KC didnt do shit. Fast forward 20 years and the same shit happened until last year.

I realize that there isnt a single post on this forum that was going to change the outcome of a single game or play, but we've been here together arguing, commiserating, celebrating and lamenting together...

I hope Sunday gets us to where we've never been and and no matter what we have said to one another in the past, realize that we've been Chiefs fans no matter what.

Flying High D
01-17-2020, 09:32 PM
We, the citizens of Chiefs' Kingdom, have been witness to a long, long drought of quality QB play...
We have been witness to the Pelluers, the Kreigs, the Bonos, the Grbacs, the Huards, the Cassls, the Quins, the Palkos...
We have been witness to brilliant careers being wasted by the likes of Derrick Thomas, Jammal Charles, Tamba Hali, Will Shields, and many, many more...
We have been witness to losses in the playoffs to Marino, Elway, Kelly, even Jim Fricking Harbaugh...
We have been witness to playoff losses in the most absurd and unpredictable manners, as our fellow citizen DJJasonp has so eloquently outlined...

But no more!

We have THE QB!
I swear to all that is holy and unholy we have Gumby-Superman leading our team.
He bends, in manners that would break other men, and simply flings the ball 40 yards into the wind.

This is our QB!
This is our time!
"There's always next year." and "Because Chiefs" gets buried this weekend.
This time WE hoist the Lamar Hunt trophy and bring it home to its rightful place of honor.

Have faith fellow denizens of Chiefs' Kingdom, if we have learned nothing over the past week it's that no down and distance it to far, no lead is insurmountable, and no team is safe from the power and awe that is our QB....Patrick F*****G Mahomes!!

Livingston, Fuller and Blackledge say hi.

cabletech94
01-17-2020, 09:41 PM
i lost my dad to cancer just under a year ago. the last conversation i had with him on the phone was a few hours before last years AFCCG. he told me that we've got this. his timing may have been off for last years game, but maybe he meant this year.

comochiefsfan
01-17-2020, 09:48 PM
I remember after the AFCCG last year. All I wanted was to wake up the next morning and for it to have all been a dream. To have a second chance at it.

Basically, I wanted to get back to this spot, to have one more crack at it.

365 long days have gone by. Some days I lost faith that we would return to this point. But this team persevered, stuck together, and kept moving towards the ultimate goal.

And now, after one excruciatingly long year, we’re back. We made it. And now all that’s left to do is go out and finish what we couldn’t last year. Raise the Lamar Hunt trophy in Lamar Hunt’s house, and punch our ticket to the Super Bowl.

365 days are about to come down to 3 hours.

Are you ready?

smithandrew051
01-17-2020, 10:21 PM
This team is made of Teflon.

It all started in the offseason. We finally saw the franchise stop with the undeserved loyalty to aging former stars and trash coordinators. The organization acknowledged that we needed change. Real change.

Goodbye Houston, Ford, and Berry. The core of a shit defense. All were trash against the Pats. Berry got torched by a slow Gronk. Ford and Houston were schemed out of the game entirely.

In with the new era. Enter Honey Badger, Frank Clark, Bashaud Breeland, Juan Thornhill, Alex Okafor, Khalen Saunders, Damien Wilson, Rashad Fenton, Mo Claiborn, Mike Pennel, Terrell Suggs, and a far upgraded defensive coaching staff. All of that in 1 fucking year.

Was our offense good enough? Sure, but why not get better. Let’s add another elite speed receiver in Mecole Hardman.

The organization was not satisfied.

External forces tried to bring this team down. The Tyreek situation divided the fan base due to intentional misinformation from the media. The team persevered. They weren’t going to let that stop them from getting to their ultimate goal.

Week 1. Tyreek goes down with a freak injury. Time for others to step up. Mahomes rolls his ankle. Time to adjust the play calling. We need to win in a new way.

Week 2. Eric Fisher goes down. Our line is now shit for weeks. Our offense has to adjust. The defense is still learning a new scheme.

Injuries continue to pile up. Mahomes does his best to steady the ship. Two bad losses to two AFC South teams happen. The fans are frustrated. The players are frustrated.

We go to Denver. Defense starts to come around...only for Mahomes to go down. Panic ensues. Is the season over?

Luckily, it’s a minor injury. He’ll be back. We still have a pulse.

We lose to Green Bay, but put up a hell of a fight.

We scratch and claw our way to a victory without Mahomes against an NFC Playoff team in the Vikings. Hell of a win.

Mahomes comes back. We lose a game to the Titans that we never should’ve lost. Fans begin to question the team. Maybe we’ll be lucky to win the Division. Oakland has an easy schedule the rest of the way.

We say “FUCK THAT.” We roll through the rest of the division. The defense looks better every week. The offense starts to look like we thought it would. We even roll into New England and leave with a win. We now have the tiebreaker with the Pats.

We keep winning. It’s Week 17. The 2 seed is in play, but seems unlikely. Then, Fitzmagic happens in Foxborough. The Pats lose and minutes later we close out an undefeated AFC West run to secure the 2 seed. We lock up the bye. The Pats are officially fucked.

The Titans take out the Patriots and Ravens, which ensures that the AFCCG will be in Arrowhead if we get there.

If we get there...

We’re down 24-0 minutes into the second quarter against Houston. We can’t seem to get out of our own way. Then, Mecole Hardman makes a play. We go on a 51-7 run.

The AFCCG will be in Arrowhead in 1/19.

Now let me ask you this. Do you think we went through ALL of that to let Ryan Tannehill come into Arrowhead and beat Patrick Motherfucking Mahomes?

We aren’t losing this game. It’s not fucking happening.

TinyEvel
01-18-2020, 01:27 AM
Huard, Palko, Thigpen, Cassel...we were there

BossChief
01-18-2020, 01:38 AM
In the running for best post in my time on CP.

lcarus
01-18-2020, 01:56 AM
This franchise kinda deserved all the playoff failures for how they handled the QB position for all those decades.

Thank fucking hell for Reid and Veach and the 2017 draft. I seriously don't think I could've handled another retread or castoff quarterback.

RickObie
01-18-2020, 02:51 AM
I’m honored to call the original poster my friend and brother and through all of our pain I couldn’t have said it better - it’s been a journey I only hope we are celebrating Sunday night and lifting the Lamar Hunt trophy.

Imon Yourside
01-18-2020, 03:10 AM
I've been around watching these things unfold since about 1977 which consisted of almost zero playoffs. I think John Mackovic was the only one that took us to the playoffs premarty.

Hammock Parties
01-18-2020, 03:15 AM
I love you 5,000.

Boon
01-18-2020, 03:25 AM
Original post reads like a journal of an alcoholic who gains redemption on Sunday, January 20, 2020.

GO CHIEFS! Let us rip their helmets off and shit in them before sending them back to Nashville TN.

burt
01-18-2020, 10:00 AM
I am often reminded of the Planeteers we have lost over the the years who did not get to see Mahomes get drafted, and the back to back AFC title games at home he has delivered in his first two years starting, and will not get to see the years of amazing moments he has yet to deliver.

It is a very depressing thing that they never got to see this.

Well said. They reside in us. May they forever.

old_geezer
01-18-2020, 10:37 AM
I was here to watch the Chiefs lose in Super Bowl I.
I was here to watch the Chiefs win Super Bowl IV.
I am ecstatic to be here in 2020 watching the dawn of the Mahomes era!

:rockon::rockon:PBJPBJ

DJJasonp
01-19-2020, 05:44 PM
We did it ladies and gentlemen! The monkey is off our back, and the demons exorcised.

Enjoy it Chiefs Kingdom and Chiefs Planet - it is not arrogant to say we deserved this more than any fan base!

Love you all!!!

Iowanian
01-19-2020, 05:45 PM
I wasn't there.....but I've been sleeping outside the door in the rain and wind and snow and heat for 46 years.

I'm there.

displacedinMN
01-19-2020, 05:45 PM
BRING IT ON CLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!