PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs What defines a "physical" team?

TLO
01-20-2020, 12:42 PM
This is one of those things I've been hearing for years, but lately it's standing out - and it's ****ing annoying.

Is "physical" team code for something? Like white players are "lunch pail type of guys, high motor, play the game the right way" etc?

The Titans were a "physical" team. Anyone who plays in the AFC North is a "physical" team. The Texans were a "physical" team.

What the **** does this actually mean?

AdolfOliverBush
01-20-2020, 12:44 PM
This is one of those things I've been hearing for years, but lately it's standing out - and it's ****ing annoying.

Is "physical" team code for something? Like white players are "lunch pail type of guys, high motor, play the game the right way" etc?

The Titans were a "physical" team. Anyone who plays in the AFC North is a "physical" team. The Texans were a "physical" team.

What the **** does this actually mean?

I interpret "physical" as "lacking the natural talent to win using anything besides brute force". Of course football is extremely physical, but there is also a ton of finesse, misdirection, and trickery involved.

O.city
01-20-2020, 12:45 PM
Run first defensive team.

It's basically code for "they aren't explosive and can only win by playing a muddy game" but were to nice to say that.

Halfcan
01-20-2020, 12:45 PM
Anyone that thinks the Chiefs are not "physical" whatever that is supposed to mean. have not been watching. We were laying the wood yesterday.

Rasputin
01-20-2020, 12:48 PM
Honey Badger don't give a fuck he will physically dislodge you from your shoes.

old_geezer
01-20-2020, 12:49 PM
Anyone that thinks the Chiefs are not "physical" whatever that is supposed to mean. have not been watching. We were laying the wood yesterday.

No kidding. I loved watching our defense yesterday. You could tell the Titans were feeling it.

Dunerdr
01-20-2020, 12:49 PM
Mike fucking Pennel says sorry the Chiefs arent more physical.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
01-20-2020, 12:54 PM
Dirty Dan says fuck you to all the naysayers

oldman
01-20-2020, 12:57 PM
I think our D had heard enough about Henry and his teammates. I wonder if the Tits plane ran out of ice packs on the way home last night.

smithandrew051
01-20-2020, 12:59 PM
Physical Team = Team that can’t throw the football and is playing the Chiefs

chiefzilla1501
01-20-2020, 01:04 PM
I love Honey Badger's term "championship swagger." That is the huge difference between this year and Sutton and Romeo's defenses (when they were good). Romeo had physical defenses in the past but zero swagger. Sutton had more of a finesse defense. This defense this year is both physical and has swagger.

I remember a few years ago, Shaun Smith came here guns ablazing and no one really know how to handle him. His attitude was so different anything we were used to. We've had physical defenses before but it's been a long time since we've had one this confident and that took this much joy hitting other teams in the mouth.

Coach
01-20-2020, 01:29 PM

Shit, they been laying the wood since they got straight up embarrassed by the Titans game in week 11.

That was a blessing in disguise, looking back at it now. This defense is on a different level now.

ModSocks
01-20-2020, 01:31 PM
Run first defensive team.

It's basically code for "they aren't explosive and can only win by playing a muddy game" but were to nice to say that.

This.

Kinda like the Titan's "Bend but don't break" defense we heard about all week.

Coach
01-20-2020, 01:31 PM
I love Honey Badger's term "championship swagger." That is the huge difference between this year and Sutton and Romeo's defenses (when they were good). Romeo had physical defenses in the past but zero swagger. Sutton had more of a finesse defense. This defense this year is both physical and has swagger.

I remember a few years ago, Shaun Smith came here guns ablazing and no one really know how to handle him. His attitude was so different anything we were used to. We've had physical defenses before but it's been a long time since we've had one this confident and that took this much joy hitting other teams in the mouth.

Shit, Shaun Smith would have done so well on this defense with his attitude.

Megatron96
01-20-2020, 04:05 PM
A physical team=The Legion Boom in their prime. The Steelers from the Jerome Bettis years. The Steel Curtain years.

Those were teams that were so physical that the other team had to play like they were going to war just to survive the game. And not just the stars of the team; the entire team played that way. The no-name guys came with just as much violence as the superstars did.

Our defense has been looking like that lately.

Our offense isn't physical in that sense. We don't try to bulldoze people. We out-smart and out-speed defenses. We have individual players that play physical. Kelce and Watkins play a brand of physical football and can dominate a defender. But Hill doesn't knock people around; he flies past them, over them, etc.

scho63
01-20-2020, 04:12 PM
When I think of physical teams, 3 always come to mind: Chicago Bears, Pittsburgh Steelers and Baltimore Ravens.

Several other's like the Seahawks are usually right behind those 3.

Pitt Gorilla
01-20-2020, 04:20 PM
Great question. It reminds me of other "old"-isms, like "act like you've been there before" and "simply hand the ball to the ref" and "stop celebrating every play when you're getting your ass kicked." Those are great ideas in theory, until you're down 24-0 and Travis Kelce's celebration of a first-down catch appears to ignite the crowd AND the offense. They make sense until you're down 10-0 and your D starts laying the wood and letting the offense know about it.

keg in kc
01-20-2020, 04:23 PM
Physically is usually referring to teams that can line up one versus one and beat you, man on man. They don't need to scheme to dominate you.

Basically the opposite of what the Chiefs have been doing since 1999 (that's as far back as I can go...). They haven't had the horses, on either side of the ball but primarily on defense, so they've tried to outsmart teams to cover roster deficiencies.

The 2019 Chiefs are kind of unique in that they're a heavy scheme team that can/will also physically dominate you on both sides of the ball.

It's probably something we're only going to see once. Mahomes on a rookie deal is the only way we could have ever built a roster this loaded on both sides of the ball.

BWillie
01-20-2020, 04:24 PM
We are definitely a finesse team. And who gives a shit. We are historically effective.

Bwana
01-20-2020, 04:27 PM
Guys that karate chop the other teams players?

https://i.redd.it/nf7y2c3kd3oz.gif (https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.chiefsplanet.com%2FBB%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D328314%26goto%3Dnewpost&psig=AOvVaw1S2_HQcTRmvvdUrB6wU80X&ust=1579645562288000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCPC6ypqck-cCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD)

Chiefshrink
01-21-2020, 12:07 AM
Guys that karate chop the other teams players?

https://i.redd.it/nf7y2c3kd3oz.gif (https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.chiefsplanet.com%2FBB%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D328314%26goto%3Dnewpost&psig=AOvVaw1S2_HQcTRmvvdUrB6wU80X&ust=1579645562288000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCPC6ypqck-cCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD)

Is this where Dan earned his "Dirty" ???

stevieray
01-21-2020, 12:11 AM
See Titans game where people got blown up repeatedly, including the QB.

You're gonna pay when you get the ball.

ThyKingdomCome15
01-21-2020, 04:01 AM
Its BS. Chiefs were the physical Sunday. But nobody is talking about that.

scho63
01-21-2020, 04:24 AM
Is this where Dan earned his "Dirty" ???

One of them for sure, I think there are a couple others out there. ;)