PDA

View Full Version : Football CTE doctor is a fraud..

Mecca
01-22-2020, 12:38 PM
This should piss off Will Smith a bit since he played the guy...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/sports/cte-bennet-omalu/?utm_source=reddit.com

The medical community apparently thinks this guy is a whack job.

TimeForWasp
01-22-2020, 12:40 PM
Washington post is a whack job.

Pitt Gorilla
01-22-2020, 12:44 PM
Washington post is a whack job.Did you read the article?

Chiefshrink
01-22-2020, 12:52 PM
Not surprised in the least :rolleyes:especially since it is also being pushed politically in order to eliminate football altogether in our society and make lawyers richer by one particular side. I won't mention the side since that would be too political in this forum. Can brain damage occur from football ? Of course it can BUT I don't believe it is as rampant as this phony Dr. and colleagues say it is and never have believed all the hype over this condition:rolleyes:

NFL lawyers glad to hear this and will definitely be jumping all over this to lessen these lawsuits if not start eliminating a lot of these frivolous ones for sure.

Chiefshrink
01-22-2020, 12:57 PM
"There is no reliable technology to detect CTE in the living; the disease can be diagnosed only after someone dies and their brain can be dissected and analyzed."

NFL lawyers will be jumping all over the above statement. Players know what they are signing up for. Sign the waiver or don't play.;)

saphojunkie
01-22-2020, 01:02 PM
Washington post is a whack job.

:rolleyes:

saphojunkie
01-22-2020, 01:04 PM
Not surprised in the least :rolleyes:especially since it is also being pushed politically in order to eliminate football altogether in our society and make lawyers richer by one particular side. I won't mention the side since that would be too political in this forum. Can brain damage occur from football ? Of course it can BUT I don't believe it is as rampant as this phony Dr. and colleagues say it is and never have believed all the hype over this condition:rolleyes:

NFL lawyers glad to hear this and will definitely be jumping all over this to lessen these lawsuits if not start eliminating a lot of these frivolous ones for sure.

You have such terrible analysis of the world

TLO
01-22-2020, 01:11 PM
"There is no reliable technology to detect CTE in the living;

See Antonio Brown.

R Clark
01-22-2020, 01:16 PM
It his head off and check it out?

kcclone
01-22-2020, 01:24 PM
I think CTE is real. Traumatic brain injuries and even repetitive minor brain trauma has to have negative consequences, logically. But there has been a lot of hysteria around this subject.

Also, you can't blame every single bizarre thing that football players do (Antonio Brown, suicides, murders, domestic violence, etc) on CTE and football.

That type of stuff happens all the time in the world at large, with populations that have never been exposed to football or brain trauma.

WhawhaWhat
01-22-2020, 01:24 PM
A deeply religious man, Omalu has said he believes he is on a mission from God, and he views scientists who question him with suspicion and hostility.

“As a Christian, I believe after death there is judgment,” Omalu told a lawyer in a deposition once, when asked about experts who raised doubts about his theories. “They will all answer for this on judgment day.”

What a clown.

A8bil
01-22-2020, 01:27 PM
"There is no reliable technology to detect CTE in the living; the disease can be diagnosed only after someone dies and their brain can be dissected and analyzed."

NFL lawyers will be jumping all over the above statement. Players know what they are signing up for. Sign the waiver or don't play.;)
Interesting...there does seem to be technology to identify brain injury. https://www.onehitaway.org/hyperbaric-oxygen-therapy.html

burt
01-22-2020, 01:36 PM
I think CTE is real.

Also, you can't blame every single bizarre thing that football players do (Antonio Brown, suicides, murders, domestic violence, etc) on CTE and football.

Limited education(tutors taking tests and underwater basket weaving), 3rd world type childhood, drug, rap culture(ghetto)... then they receive millions of $$. Surprise! Meltdowns and questionable decision making... Who woulda thunk.
Yeah..can NOT blame it all on CTE. BUT, there is much that can be.

BWillie
01-22-2020, 01:45 PM
You have such terrible analysis of the world

Regarding shrinks statement, why though? This is not something secret anymore. I feel for the players much more before 2000 because they legitimately did not know about this. If you play now and are coming into the league. You know the risks, and you can properly weigh them.

Nobody is making you play. I'll still feel bad when they get CTE late in life, but it's a known risk.

Skyy God
01-22-2020, 02:12 PM
He certainly sounds like a shitty medical whore for hire these days.

Now 51, Omalu lives in Sacramento with his wife and two children. He works part-time as an associate professor at the University of California Davis, but the bulk of his income comes from work as an expert witness, he testified in a deposition last year. He charges a minimum of $10,000 per case and earned about $900,000 in 2018, he testified.

Judges have, on occasion, taken issue with Omalu’s reasoning. In 2016, a Pennsylvania judge, citing “numerous methodological errors,” dismissed Omalu as the only expert witness for an auto mechanic suing several chemical companies, alleging he had contracted Parkinson’s disease from welding solvents and fumes.

“Dr. Omalu admitted to knowing little to nothing about welding, the fumes generated, and publications concerning the topic. . . . [He] repeatedly testified that this subject is outside of his area of expertise,” wrote Judge Richard E. McCormick Jr., who also noted that Omalu never examined the man, didn’t read his testimony and had no information concerning the man’s working conditions and levels of exposure to various fumes. The case was dismissed.

In March, Omalu served in a role that doesn’t fit neatly into his self-promoted biography of the heroic doctor fighting corporate interests: He worked as an expert witness for Ford Motor Company, which was being sued on behalf of a 53-year-old man killed after being struck by an 8,700-pound metal device in one of the company’s assembly plants.

The local medical examiner had determined the man had lived — and probably suffered tremendous pain — for about 30 minutes after the accident. Omalu testified that he believed the man was killed instantly, and because the man had been a smoker, he had a reduced life expectancy, arguments that could reduce Ford’s financial liability.

Luke42_02
01-22-2020, 06:16 PM
CTE is essentially the exact same thing as Dementia Pugilistica discovered in the early 20th century. He did popularize a better name, he did realize it was happening in football, and he was attacked by the NFL for this. We know almost nothing about it, and we won't for quite a while.

On the other hand, he's incredibly biased. He has no understanding of the many benefits of football and he doesn't want to understand them. He can't fathom the fact that the vast majority of players benefit from football far more than it harms them (yes, even those who never get paid), and he does exaggerate quite a lot.

Football was always a risk, for me, it was worth the reward. I honestly don't think I would have made it through med school without the lessons I learned in football. It was one of the great blessings of my life.