PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Eli Manning

KurtCobain
01-22-2020, 09:46 PM
Call your shot!

F150
01-22-2020, 09:47 PM
World class guy from world class family.

Jewish Rabbi
01-22-2020, 09:48 PM
Never heard of her.

FlaChief58
01-22-2020, 09:53 PM
He's a fringe guy. I think he'll get in eventually because of his name and 2 rings, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get in

rabblerouser
01-22-2020, 09:56 PM
All Mannings go into the HOF, whether they deserve it or not.

That being said, I'm pretty sure that every QB who has won multiple SBs is in the HOF, so...

Frazod
01-22-2020, 09:57 PM
Fuck all things Manning. :#

LiveSteam
01-22-2020, 09:58 PM
How come Eli doesn't have 6 extra foreheads like his brother?

Milkman?

smithandrew051
01-22-2020, 10:00 PM
I wouldn’t put him in, but he’ll get in.

Taking two Super Bowl MVPs after Belichik has had 2 weeks to prepare for you is impressive though. Credit for that. Especially with all the cheating that the Patriots have done that we probably don’t even know about.

His passing stats all rank high, but that’s because of when he played. He cane into the league at the beginning of the passing era and played a long time. When he came in, most of the all time passing leaders had pedestrian numbers by today’s standards. He would rank far lower for his career if he were drafted today.

blake5676
01-22-2020, 10:16 PM
Was anyone ever nervous about playing against Eli Manning? Did he ever strike fear in a defense or have a reputation for completely taking over a game?

I've watched a lot of football for as long as I can remember and I don't ever recall thinking, "Man, that guy is a stud. I wish we had him on our team."

Of course, when your team wins two SB's I suppose you have an argument, but I've always been overly unimpressed with him. Hell, he had multiple years with 20+ INT's and even a few where he threw more picks than touchdowns if I remember right.

cosmo20002
01-22-2020, 10:17 PM

That being said, I'm pretty sure that every QB who has won multiple SBs is in the HOF, so...

False and false:thumb:

Monkey God
01-22-2020, 10:17 PM
Beating Tom Brady in two Super Bowls and bringing tears to Patriots Nation is reason enough for him to be enshrined.

TinyEvel
01-22-2020, 10:32 PM
No. Because I had him as my FFL QB and that year I didn’t win shit. Three consecutive weeks he scored 2, -1, 3. Dead to me!

KurtCobain
01-22-2020, 11:28 PM
Beating Tom Brady in two Super Bowls and bringing tears to Patriots Nation is reason enough for him to be enshrined.

Yeah, but it brought smiles to the faces of Giants fans, and I'm not okay with that.

Clyde Frog
01-22-2020, 11:30 PM
How come Eli doesn't have 6 extra foreheads like his brother?

Milkman?

His wife probably didn't take HGH so no abnormal forehead height for him.

Mama Hip Rockets
01-22-2020, 11:35 PM
I'm sure he will, because his name is Manning and he was on 2 Super Bowl-winning teams. I personally don't think he should. In fourteen full seasons, he never led the league in a single passing category except interceptions. He led the league in interceptions three times.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by Mahomes, but a guy like Eli Manning seems incredibly pedestrian right now.

BWillie
01-22-2020, 11:37 PM
Absolutely does not deserve to get in.

Chief Northman
01-22-2020, 11:41 PM
2 rings, and the right last name. 1st ballot.

KurtCobain
01-22-2020, 11:52 PM
2 rings, and the right last name. 1st ballot.

I agree, but I don't like it. He shouldn't get in.

Wallcrawler
01-23-2020, 12:12 AM
He will get in. Taking 2 of the 9 superbowls the Patriots dynasty went to, one against an undefeated team will get him in.

Otherwise, he was fairly unremarkable. Finished .500 record or thereabout I believe.

JD10367
01-23-2020, 01:12 AM
Eli Manning won two SBs on the luckiest fucking luck anyone has ever had.

Shit, Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl, and so did Brad Johnson. Should they be in?

carcosa
01-23-2020, 01:16 AM
He's definitely getting in.

dlphg9
01-23-2020, 01:23 AM
He will be one of the absolute worst inductees ever. Hes been to 4 pro bowls, 0 All Pros, 0 MVP votes(thats right not even a single vote, the only stat he's lead the league im is INTs and that's 3 times. Hes average as fuck.

ChiefsFanatic
01-23-2020, 01:34 AM
I think Eli Manning was a better QB than Aikman. Eli deserves to be in the HOF more than Aikman too. Aikman played with a HOF RB, HOF WR, and HOF offensive linemen, and his numbers at face value are garbage. But he just happened to be under center when the Cowboys won 3 rings.

But winning multiple SB rings, whether you led the team, or just happened to be the game manager at QB when the team won, is a ticket to the HOF, even if it takes a while.

I honestly wouldn't vote for either to be in the HOF.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

tredadda
01-23-2020, 01:46 AM
He’s Top 10 all time in passing yards and passing TDs. He has two SB rings and was MVP of both games. He led his team to a SB win over the previously unbeaten Patriots. He will get in and I would be shocked if it wasn’t first ballot.

Why Not?
01-23-2020, 05:04 AM

Absolutely this. Can you imagine the world if the Patriots had won 2 more Super Bowls?

Why Not?
01-23-2020, 05:07 AM
Eli Manning won two SBs on the luckiest ****ing luck anyone has ever had.

Shit, Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl, and so did Brad Johnson. Should they be in?

I’m assuming you’re referencing the Tyree catch? Go back and watch Eli on that play. His ability to avoid being sacked is an oft forgotten part of that play.

Mile High Mania
01-23-2020, 05:43 AM
He’s Top 10 all time in passing yards and passing TDs. He has two SB rings and was MVP of both games. He led his team to a SB win over the previously unbeaten Patriots. He will get in and I would be shocked if it wasn’t first ballot.

All that...

jjchieffan
01-23-2020, 05:51 AM
He'll get in. I have no doubts about that. And it's all because of the Superbowl wins. Even though he wasn't the reason that they won. It was that defense. Yeah, I know. He was Superbowl MVP. But that was a crock of shit and everyone knows it. He was nothing more than a game manager carried by the defense both times. I couldn't believe that he was actually named MVP.

Mile High Mania
01-23-2020, 05:53 AM
He'll get in. I have no doubts about that. And it's all because of the Superbowl wins. Even though he wasn't the reason that they won. It was that defense. Yeah, I know. He was Superbowl MVP. But that was a crock of shit and everyone knows it. He was nothing more than a game manager carried by the defense both times. I couldn't believe that he was actually named MVP.

Sounds like Troy Aikman.

jjchieffan
01-23-2020, 05:53 AM

Led his team is a stretch. You know that he was carried by the defense. Biggest crock of shit MVP ever.

jjchieffan
01-23-2020, 05:54 AM
Sounds like Troy Aikman.

Exactly. Although Aikman was carried by the defense and Emmitt Smith.

Deberg_1990
01-23-2020, 06:54 AM
He will make it in.

The Hall keeps keeps putting borderline guys in year after year.

It’s a business, they have to keep adding new product.

notorious
01-23-2020, 07:10 AM
Thank you for beating the 18-1 Pats. It would have been AIDS forever if they went undefeated.

Mennonite
01-23-2020, 07:36 AM
Thank you for beating the 18-1 Pats. It would have been AIDS forever if they went undefeated.

^ Everyone bitching about Eli Manning should remember this point.

FringeNC
01-23-2020, 07:37 AM
The fact that the Giants want to move and nobody wants him tells you all you need to know about Eli and the Hall.

ThyKingdomCome15
01-23-2020, 07:42 AM
He wears two of Brady's rings. One of those rings woulda been an undefeated season. He has a ton of passing yards. So yeah, I think he'll get in some day. But when you turn on the tape you wont see a HOF QB. I feel you need both to be in the HOF.

It's like comparing Brady and Mahomes. It's the tape vs the resume. A lot of people look at the resume, I look at the tape. Eli is a resume guy, not a tape guy.

And for the record, Kurt had both. His problem is his resume is short because he didnt play a lot of years. Holt and Bruce should have already been in as well. Just my opinion from an old STL Ram fan.

notorious
01-23-2020, 07:45 AM
^ Everyone bitching about Eli Manning should remember this point.

Yessir.

We all think the 72’ Miami team is annoying when they toast the final team to get beat.....I can’t imagine Pats fan.

Mennonite
01-23-2020, 07:57 AM
The fact that the Giants want to move and nobody wants him tells you all you need to know about Eli and the Hall.

"The fact thar Muhammad Ali hasn't won a belt in years tells you all you need to know about him being the GOAT."

F150
01-23-2020, 08:01 AM
Was anyone ever nervous about playing against Eli Manning? Did he ever strike fear in a defense or have a reputation for completely taking over a game?

I've watched a lot of football for as long as I can remember and I don't ever recall thinking, "Man, that guy is a stud. I wish we had him on our team."

Of course, when your team wins two SB's I suppose you have an argument, but I've always been overly unimpressed with him. Hell, he had multiple years with 20+ INT's and even a few where he threw more picks than touchdowns if I remember right.

As a long suffering Chiefs fan, I can say there were many many times I have lusted for almost every other QB instead of some of the turds we had float to the top.

FringeNC
01-23-2020, 08:06 AM
"The fact thar Muhammad Ali hasn't won a belt in years tells you all you need to know about him being the GOAT."

Look at his stats. Look at his game film. Arguing that Eli belongs in the HOF is not much different from arguing Joe Flacco deserves to be in the HOF.

Eleazar
01-23-2020, 08:17 AM
Even if you think he's borderline, if you think someone from a New York team with a borderline argument is going to be left out of the HOF, you're nuts.

But I don't think there are any multi-SB quarterbacks who aren't in the Hall of Fame or presumptive Hall of Fame anyway.

Besides, after they let Jerome Bettis in the HOF is pretty much open to everyone now

Eleazar
01-23-2020, 08:18 AM

He's 39, of course no one sees him as the future

tatorhog
01-23-2020, 08:26 AM
New York does a lot for a Hall resume. Look at Namath. Aside from a new instances, he was a mediocre-plus quarterback.

couple that with his stats and rings, and I would be surprised if he's anything but a first ballot inductee. Hell, you could put Jim Everett in New York with that defense and have the same conversation.

Spott
01-23-2020, 08:41 AM
He’ll get in, maybe on the first ballot. He has had an odd career. Lots of middle of the road QB play along with 2 great playoff runs. I can see the argument on both sides. His stats were pretty average along with his win-loss record.

Mile High Mania
01-23-2020, 08:45 AM
Look at his stats. Look at his game film. Arguing that Eli belongs in the HOF is not much different from arguing Joe Flacco deserves to be in the HOF.

Meh... Eli has two rings (compared to one), about 140 more TDs and 17,000 more yards in 4 more seasons, both appear to be done at this point.

Eli is statistically in the top 7-8 for most of the critical QB markers - Flacco is well below that average.

Eleazar
01-23-2020, 09:04 AM
Meh... Eli has two rings (compared to one), about 140 more TDs and 17,000 more yards in 4 more seasons, both appear to be done at this point.

Eli is statistically in the top 7-8 for most of the critical QB markers - Flacco is well below that average.

There's no comparison between Flacco and Manning, that's crazy. Eli Manning would rank alongside the average HOF QB. Flacco is well below any current Hall of Famer and in the neighborhood of people like McNabb, Carson Palmer, Tony Romo, etc. who don't belong there.

FringeNC
01-23-2020, 09:15 AM
There's no comparison between Flacco and Manning, that's crazy. Eli Manning would rank alongside the average HOF QB. Flacco is well below any current Hall of Famer and in the neighborhood of people like McNabb, Carson Palmer, Tony Romo, etc. who don't belong there.

Most HOFers played in a different era. The average QB in the NFL today has a rating of about 90. A few years back in his prime, Eli had a season with a rating of 69.4 in this pass happy era.

DJ's left nut
01-23-2020, 09:20 AM
I wouldn't put Eli in for a myriad of reasons I've spoken about 'round here before. He simply wasn't very good.

That said - he WAS the quarterback of teams that took 2 more SBs away from Belichick and Brady.

So...I mean...we gotta throw him a carrot for that, right? "Thanks for keeping the Patriots from an undefeated season and Brady from having 8 rings. Have this bust in Canton..."

Okay, he can go in.

WilliamTheIrish
01-23-2020, 09:28 AM
His career stats are pretty close to Phillip Rivers. Two rings lends a lot of credibility to his chances of being a 1st ballot HOF'er.

2 SB rings and one of the greatest sack-avoiding-scrambles-turned-incredible-catches that ever happened. And it happened on the greatest stage ever.

FringeNC
01-23-2020, 09:38 AM
Jameis Winston has a higher career QB rating than Eli Manning.

chiefzilla1501
01-23-2020, 09:42 AM
Eli Manning was a good not great qb. But make no mistake he was great in 2 super bowl rings. He ran about as an efficient offense as you can ask for. This wasn't Trent dilfer or Rex Grossman backing into a super bowl. Eli was huge in 2 playoff runs. Qb is the easiest position to get in. Not first ballot, but he absolutely deserves a place.

Halfcan
01-23-2020, 09:51 AM
Two Super Bowl rings puts him at the front of the line for the HOF.

Halfcan
01-23-2020, 09:55 AM

Archie is in the College HOF, the Louisanna HOF and the Saints Wall of Fame- but not in the NFL HOF.

His stats are awful. 125 TD's 173 INT's

tredadda
01-23-2020, 09:58 AM
Led his team is a stretch. You know that he was carried by the defense. Biggest crock of shit MVP ever.

Regardless of who led who, he was the QB and will get the credit. How many of Brady’s six rings are due to him and how many because of his defense and Belechick? In spite of that one of the biggest reasons people consider him the GOAT is those rings, deserved or not. Peyton Manning has two rings and both you can say are because of his defense yet he will also be first ballot. There are great players who may never sniff the HOF due to the position they played and then there are others like Eli who might have been more meh than elite who get in because of the position played.

Eleazar
01-23-2020, 10:01 AM

imagine comparing Eli Manning to Jameis Winston LMAO

FringeNC
01-23-2020, 10:15 AM
imagine comparing Eli Manning to Jameis Winston LMAO

I have no ill-will towards Eli Manning. In fact, he seems to quite the likable guy. I ask you this though: at any point during Eli Manning's career, if someone asked you to name the top 5 QBs in the league, would Eli have made that a single time?

chiefzilla1501
01-23-2020, 10:23 AM

He wasn't an Alex Smith dink and dunk game manager. He was excellently efficient in those two playoff runs. It's not Brad Johnson or Rex Grossman who were 100% about the defense. The giants won 2 super bowls because of a really well balanced team performance. For those 2 playoff runs Eli was either really good or he was really efficient (almost no turnovers, 50% third down conversions) in most of those games. One of those super bowls with a not so great run game. Granted... Flacco did it once too this way, but unlike Eli, Flacco had a poor resume otherwise. Elis middle part of his career Is at least good enough.

ptlyon
01-23-2020, 10:26 AM
Where's the "Fuck that crybaby piece of shit" option?

saphojunkie
01-23-2020, 10:39 AM
the hate for Eli clouds your judgment.

First ballot. He beat the GOAT twice - in Brady’s absolute prime. He saved us all from Brady having 8 rings and a perfect season.

If one more person brings up the regular season ima lose it. Championships are ALL that matter.

chiefzilla1501
01-23-2020, 10:43 AM
I have ill-will towards Eli Manning. In fact, he seems to quite the likable guy. I ask you this though: at any point during Eli Manning's career, if someone asked you to name the top 5 QBs in the league, would Eli have made that a single time?

It's a fair question and a tough one. it's somewhat unique because he did the super bowl thing twice (very rare), he was a major contributor to each (not just a support guy), and he was at least a top 10 qb plenty of times in his career. For the same reasons it'll be hard to not consider big Ben eventually even though I wouldn't call his regular season career HOF.

Mile High Mania
01-23-2020, 10:48 AM

Such a weird stat to cherry pick...

Mile High Mania
01-23-2020, 10:58 AM
Most HOFers played in a different era. The average QB in the NFL today has a rating of about 90. A few years back in his prime, Eli had a season with a rating of 69.4 in this pass happy era.

Technically... no, realistically, you're not correct. There are 11 times a QB ended the season with a league leading best over 80, none greater than 88.5 (Brady in 2007).

And, those 11 ratings over 80 belong to:
Brady (1), Peyton (3), Brees (3), Rodgers (1), Garrard (1), L Jackson (1), Mahomes (1) ... the 11 greatest QBRs in a season belong to 7 QBs, all of whom have careers that benefited by primarily playing in the last 20 years of the pass-happy NFL.

The highest QBR since 2012 was 2019, Lamar Jackson with 81.10.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/qbr_year_by_year.htm

Rain Man
01-23-2020, 11:00 AM
If Eli Manning was any good, he would have succeeded in San Diego. Instead, his daddy pulled him from the team to put him onto a stronger team that could carry him.

tatorhog
01-23-2020, 11:01 AM
If one more person brings up the regular season ima lose it. Championships are ALL that matter.

if true, why is Dan Fouts in the Hall?

FringeNC
01-23-2020, 11:04 AM
Technically... no, realistically, you're not correct. There are 11 times a QB ended the season with a league leading best over 80, none greater than 88.5 (Brady in 2007).

And, those 11 ratings over 80 belong to:
Brady (1), Peyton (3), Brees (3), Rodgers (1), Garrard (1), L Jackson (1), Mahomes (1) ... the 11 greatest QBRs in a season belong to 7 QBs, all of whom have careers that benefited by primarily playing in the last 20 years of the pass-happy NFL.

The highest QBR since 2012 was 2019, Lamar Jackson with 81.10.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/qbr_year_by_year.htm

I'm talking about the simple official NFL rating where 69.7 is horrendous.

Molitoth
01-23-2020, 11:08 AM
Unfortunately everyone is judged off of Superbowl wins (a Team stat).

In many cases, this hurts players... but in Eli's case, it's going to help him.

Eli is not the best of the best of his generation, and is not worthy of the HoF imo.

Molitoth
01-23-2020, 11:09 AM
Championships are ALL that matter.

lol Okay... So lets remove Barry Sanders and Dan Marino and replace them with Trent Dilfer and some shitter RB from a super bowl team?

because Championships, right?

The HoF should be about being the best of the best at an individual level. If players want to celebrate "Championships", they have a Ring and a Trophy to stare at... but not a Bust.

Rain Man
01-23-2020, 11:22 AM
lol Okay... So lets remove Barry Sanders and Dan Marino and replace them with Trent Dilfer and some shitter RB from a super bowl team?

The HoF should be about being the best of the best at an individual level. If players want to celebrate "Championships", they have a Ring and a Trophy to stare at... but not a Bust.

Yeah, I would propose that Derrick Thomas is a legitimate a Hall of Famer.

lawrenceRaider
01-23-2020, 11:25 AM

No, Jim Plunkett isn't in and he won two Superbowls.

Mile High Mania
01-23-2020, 11:26 AM
I'm talking about the simple official NFL rating where 69.7 is horrendous.

Not sure which number that is... if you go to NFL.com and look at ratings - your number doesn't match.

I believe that 69.7 is Eli's highest QBR per the list I provided.

lawrenceRaider
01-23-2020, 11:27 AM

The NFL long ago threw that rule out the window when they started voting in the simply very good, like Floyd Little.

Eli Manning is a borderline case. If it had simply been just the one year where he caught fire and played well in the post season and won a Superbowl, I think he'd have no argument for getting in.

But since he did it twice, and actually played well in other playoff appearances, he's pushed up to that Hall of Very Good that it really is these days.

FringeNC
01-23-2020, 11:30 AM
Not sure which number that is... if you go to NFL.com and look at ratings - your number doesn't match.

I believe that 69.7 is Eli's highest QBR per the list I provided.

I"m talking about his 2013 season. Of all the qualifying QBs, only Terrelle Pryor and Geno Smith had a lower rating.

Hoover
01-23-2020, 11:30 AM
I don't think there is any doubt he will be in the HOF.

Two super bowl wins.
2x Super Bowl MVP
7th in career passing yards and Passing TDs

Plus he's a Manning.

Abba-Dabba
01-23-2020, 11:31 AM
This isn't even a question. Of course he will be a first ballot HOF'er. New York, 2 time SB MVP and winner, 4 time pro bowler, and New York.

Hoover
01-23-2020, 11:35 AM
Eli: 57,023 yards, 366 TDs, 244 INT
Plunkett: 25,882 yards, 164 TDs, 198 INT

Eli>Plunkett

Mama Hip Rockets
01-23-2020, 11:38 AM
the hate for Eli clouds your judgment.

First ballot. He beat the GOAT twice

When did he beat Mahomes?

Mile High Mania
01-23-2020, 11:48 AM

Two super bowl wins.
2x Super Bowl MVP

Plus he's a Manning.

It's more about the era he played than the name. Rivers, Roethlisberger, Ryan and about 3-4 others are all going to get the HOF nod because they will have played for a dozen years, amassing crazy stats.

Rain Man
01-23-2020, 11:51 AM
I did an exercise a while back where I compared quarterbacks within their eras to identify the top quarterbacks each year. Here's where Eli Manning ranked compared to his peers. (I don't have 2019 on this list, but that's irrelevant to him anyway.)

We see here that he was a top-ten quarterback in the league for about half of his career, but only had one year where an objective ranking would put him in the top six. He goes in the Hall of Pretty Good.

BWillie
01-23-2020, 11:54 AM
Do you know how bad you have to be post 2005 to not be able to have ONE YEAR with a QB rating above 93? The guy is pure garbage. Nick Foles is way better than him. Manning should thank Michael Strahan and that defense for allowing him this opportunity.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is better than this clown.

Halfcan
01-23-2020, 12:02 PM

Plunkett is the subject of yearly debate about whether he belongs in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.[16] Proponents usually focus upon the simple fact of his two Super Bowl victories (together with one Super Bowl MVP) should be sufficient on their own, but also refer to the personal challenges he needed to overcome.[17] Opponents point out that Plunkett has an even career win-loss record (72–72, although he was 8–2 in playoff games), and poor career statistics (he threw 198 career interceptions against only 164 touchdowns, and his career completion percentage was only 52.5%) – though quarterback statistics have changed dramatically since the 1970s and 1980s.[1][18] He was never voted to a Pro Bowl during his career, nor was he ever selected as an All-Pro (first or second team).[17] Similar debates had occurred in relation to Ken Stabler, another Super Bowl winning quarterback with the Raiders who missed getting elected into the Hall for many years until posthumously in 2016.[19] However, Plunkett was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1990, the Bay Area Sports Hall of Fame in 1992 in San Francisco, California, and finally the California Sports Hall of Fame in 2007 in recognition for both his College football and Pro-football careers.

Mile High Mania
01-23-2020, 12:08 PM
I did an exercise a while back where I compared quarterbacks within their eras to identify the top quarterbacks each year. Here's where Eli Manning ranked compared to his peers. (I don't have 2019 on this list, but that's irrelevant to him anyway.)

We see here that he was a top-ten quarterback in the league for about half of his career, but only had one year where an objective ranking would put him in the top six. He goes in the Hall of Pretty Good.

Again, things have changed across the league in the last 20 years... you can see it clearly in the 'all time' rankings for yards, TDs, etc.

The last 20 years have been dominated by Peyton, Brady, Brees - I think that's your Big 3. Favre was in there for the first 10 years, then Rodgers for the last 10 years (he sat the first 3 watching Favre).

Rivers, Manning and Roethlisberger all came in the same season (2004) and have been statistically equal for the most part overall. After 2004, you had a couple guys in Ryan, Stafford and then Wilson that have come along and jettisoned up the all-time rankings, with only Wilson earning a ring.

For the last 20 years - Peyton, Brady, Brees, Favre, Rodgers, Rivers, Manning and Roethlisberger have been at the tops of those ranks pretty consistently.

Ben is the obvious better player of those 3 drafted in 2004 and Eli actually has the worst W/L record @ 117-117. If he didn't have the rings and the MVP ... he's sitting in Rivers' world... and living the Dan Fouts life. But, with about 10-11k more yards and well over 100 more TDs than Fouts - all 3 of those guys will get into the HOF and Fouts never will.

And, the QBs of the last 3-4 years... there are several that are statistically killing it and adding to this post 2000 NFL.

Halfcan
01-23-2020, 12:23 PM
Again, things have changed across the league in the last 20 years... you can see it clearly in the 'all time' rankings for yards, TDs, etc.

The last 20 years have been dominated by Peyton, Brady, Brees - I think that's your Big 3. Favre was in there for the first 10 years, then Rodgers for the last 10 years (he sat the first 3 watching Favre).

Rivers, Manning and Roethlisberger all came in the same season (2004) and have been statistically equal for the most part overall. After 2004, you had a couple guys in Ryan, Stafford and then Wilson that have come along and jettisoned up the all-time rankings, with only Wilson earning a ring.

For the last 20 years - Peyton, Brady, Brees, Favre, Rodgers, Rivers, Manning and Roethlisberger have been at the tops of those ranks pretty consistently.

Ben is the obvious better player of those 3 drafted in 2004 and Eli actually has the worst W/L record @ 117-117. If he didn't have the rings and the MVP ... he's sitting in Rivers' world... and living the Dan Fouts life. But, with about 10-11k more yards and well over 100 more TDs than Fouts - all 3 of those guys will get into the HOF and Fouts never will.

And, the QBs of the last 3-4 years... there are several that are statistically killing it and adding to this post 2000 NFL.

Daniel Francis Fouts (born June 10, 1951) is an American former professional football player who was a quarterback for 15 years in the National Football League (NFL), spending his entire career with the San Diego Chargers (1973–1987). He led the NFL in passing yards four straight years from 1979 to 1982 and became the first player in history to throw for 4,000 yards in three consecutive seasons. The Chargers advanced to the AFC Championship Game twice during his career, but never reached the Super Bowl.

A member of the NFL 1980s All-Decade Team, Fouts was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1993. He lives in Sisters, Oregon[1] and is currently a color analyst for NFL games on CBS television and Westwood One radio. Dan is the son of Bay Area Radio Hall of Famer Bob Fouts.[2]

Shiver Me Timbers
01-23-2020, 12:35 PM
He will get in simply by his name. SB wins will be the reasoning
I am thinking 20 years out

Mile High Mania
01-23-2020, 12:35 PM
Daniel Francis Fouts (born June 10, 1951) is an American former professional football player who was a quarterback for 15 years in the National Football League (NFL), spending his entire career with the San Diego Chargers (1973–1987). He led the NFL in passing yards four straight years from 1979 to 1982 and became the first player in history to throw for 4,000 yards in three consecutive seasons. The Chargers advanced to the AFC Championship Game twice during his career, but never reached the Super Bowl.

A member of the NFL 1980s All-Decade Team, Fouts was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1993. He lives in Sisters, Oregon[1] and is currently a color analyst for NFL games on CBS television and Westwood One radio. Dan is the son of Bay Area Radio Hall of Famer Bob Fouts.[2]

My bad... he didn't have the * on the list I was looking at. Thought that was incorrect, but didn't check it.

Rain Man
01-23-2020, 01:10 PM
My bad... he didn't have the * on the list I was looking at. Thought that was incorrect, but didn't check it.

Well, you're correct in that he doesn't deserve it.

Halfcan
01-23-2020, 01:12 PM

:thumb:

Fouts is easy to overlook. He is the original Rivers- put up a lot of stats, but never won any big games.

FringeNC
01-23-2020, 01:21 PM
Do you know how bad you have to be post 2005 to not be able to have ONE YEAR with a QB rating above 93? The guy is pure garbage. Nick Foles is way better than him. Manning should thank Michael Strahan and that defense for allowing him this opportunity.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is better than this clown.

I wouldn't go quite that far, but HOF is a joke.

Here is a list of average QB rating by year. Look at the numbers and then tell me that Eli's career average of 84 is deserving of the HOF.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/NFL/passing.htm

Shiver Me Timbers
01-23-2020, 01:22 PM
:thumb:

Fouts is easy to overlook. He is the original Rivers- put up a lot of stats, but never won any big games.

I think Fouts is one of those "at large" NFL HOF voter dudes as well.
He might approve Eli just to get someone worse than him in there

Mile High Mania
01-23-2020, 01:25 PM
I think Fouts is one of those "at large" NFL HOF voter dudes as well.
He might approve Eli just to get someone worse than him in there

Aikman is already there... now, if people want to bash Eli for having an elite defense as the reason he won the rings and got the MVP, well Aikman really took it to the next level.

mlyonsd
01-23-2020, 01:48 PM
Please tell me he isn't going to start doing commercials with Brad Paisley.

CoMoChief
01-23-2020, 04:13 PM
Both SB wins came on the back of those defenses.

Eli has never been considered a top 10 QB while he played.

I'd never vote the guy in. But he's a Manning so he'll get sucked off into the HoF.

Mennonite
01-23-2020, 04:19 PM
Look, if Tom Brady tripped on a clod of dirt and broke his neck and it prevented the Patriots from going 19-0 then that clod is a lock for the HoF in my book. Eli is that clod.

Beating the cheating Patriots in the SB twice is like Buster Douglas whipping Mike Tyson and then hopping on a bicycle and beating Lance Armstrong in the Tour de France.

chiefzilla1501
01-23-2020, 04:20 PM

I'd never vote the guy in. But he's a Manning so he'll get sucked off into the HoF.

Except they weren't. His defense played well. But those were team wins. It wasn't like Tampa or Baltimore who backed into the playoffs. For most games Eli was either really good or really efficient. He wasn't great in playoffs outside those 2 super bowl runs, but for those 2 super bowl runs he was excellent.

KurtCobain
01-23-2020, 04:20 PM
He goes in the Hall of Alright, I Guess.

fyp

Tribal Warfare
01-23-2020, 04:23 PM
Yes, maybe not 1st ballot but it shouldn't be awhile either

Mile High Mania
01-23-2020, 04:25 PM
Except they weren't. His defense played well. But those were team wins. It wasn't like Tampa or Baltimore who backed into the playoffs. For most games Eli was either really good or really efficient. He wasn't great in playoffs outside those 2 super bowl runs, but for those 2 super bowl runs he was excellent.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannEl00/gamelog/post/

Eli wasn't bad in the playoffs either. Marino was bad in the playoffs - overall losing record.

cosmo20002
01-23-2020, 04:55 PM

Two super bowl wins.
2x Super Bowl MVP

Plus he's a Manning.

I assume this isn't a completely serious comment, but why do people keep saying it? It's fucking stupid.

cosmo20002
01-23-2020, 05:02 PM

Are there a bunch of Mannings in the HOF that I'm not aware of?

Megatron96
01-23-2020, 06:12 PM
Eli is going to get in. He's got two SB rings, and two SB MVPs. There's no QB in NFL history that has two SB MVPs that isn't in the HOF.

FloridaMan88
01-23-2020, 06:20 PM
The fact he has two Super Bowl wins/MVP’s is his only argument to get into the HOF.

Otherwise he is Joe Flacco.

Bump
01-23-2020, 06:20 PM
I voted first ballot but it could be second but I'm not sure what the classes are going to look like when he's eligible. 2 Rings and a long career is going to put him in whether he actually deserves it or not. Stats, long career and multiple rings pretty much guarantees him.

ThaVirus
01-23-2020, 07:30 PM
He wouldn't make my Hall. The dude was never even really a top 5 QB at any given time.

But he's got the name, the Super Bowls, and the iron man start streak so he'll definitely get in.

Chief Roundup
01-23-2020, 07:40 PM
He wouldn't make my Hall. The dude was never even really a top 5 QB at any given time.

But he's got the name, the Super Bowls, and the iron man start streak so he'll definitely get in.

Get the fuck out of here with that shit.
He is a 2 time SB Champ. He is a 2 time SB MVP. He is #7 all time in the passing yards.
He is one of 5 QBs that have ever won 2 SB and 2 SB MVP.

Rain Man
01-23-2020, 08:49 PM
Get the **** out of here with that shit.
He is a 2 time SB Champ. He is a 2 time SB MVP. He is #7 all time in the passing yards.

And one could easily argue that he was not a top-ten quarterback in the league during his career. His only argument is that his father strong-armed him onto a strong team that carried him to success.

I suspect he'll make it because Archie and Peyton will lobby for him and try to bypass the system as usual, but he doesn't deserve it. His undermining of the NFL draft was bad for the sport.

ThaVirus
01-23-2020, 08:52 PM
Get the fuck out of here with that shit.

The dude played for 16 years. Tell me which season you'd have considered him a top 5 QB.

rabblerouser
01-23-2020, 09:33 PM

Right. He was a lucky David Tyree catch and a bad Brady throw away from being a .500 QB with zero SB wins and, what, 3 or 4 NFL interception-leading seasons?

Chief Roundup
01-23-2020, 09:43 PM
I understand that in some of our opinions that he may not belong in the HOF based on this area or that area. There are also opinions that say he does belong in the HOF based on this are and that area.
The biggest thing for me is that there are others that are less deserving overall than Eli. The HOF has already been letting players in that have done less for the NFL than Eli.

alpha_omega
01-23-2020, 09:43 PM
in at some point.

Rain Man
01-24-2020, 07:01 PM
Per tradition, he gave a retirement speech that sounded like a third grader reading an essay about Bangladesh. And he referred to himself in the third person. I'm surprised that his dad didn't read it for him.

SuperBowl4
01-24-2020, 09:27 PM
Per tradition, he gave a retirement speech that sounded like a third grader reading an essay about Bangladesh. And he referred to himself in the third person. I'm surprised that his dad didn't read it for him.He's probably a TRUMP fan and picked up the referring to himself in the third person from Don the Con. They were both in New York together for years.

oldman
01-24-2020, 10:39 PM
I'm sure he'll be in, but should he? I'm kind of on the fence with that one. When I think of the top 5 QBs each year over the last 20 years or so, Eli doesn't ever make it. So he falls in the "pretty good" category for me. Yes he was the QB for 2 SB winners and he was MVP for both. I'd point out that Phil Simms, Mark Rypien, Joe Flacco, and Nick Foles were also SB MVPs.
On the plus side, he did play well for most of his career.
Bottom line he gets in because of where he played and the 2 SB wins.

Mile High Mania
01-25-2020, 07:44 AM
I'm sure he'll be in, but should he? I'm kind of on the fence with that one. When I think of the top 5 QBs each year over the last 20 years or so, Eli doesn't ever make it. So he falls in the "pretty good" category for me. Yes he was the QB for 2 SB winners and he was MVP for both. I'd point out that Phil Simms, Mark Rypien, Joe Flacco, and Nick Foles were also SB MVPs.
On the plus side, he did play well for most of his career.
Bottom line he gets in because of where he played and the 2 SB wins.

Again, it's been an interesting 20 years...

Favre, Rodgers, Brady, Peyton, Brees, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Ryan, Luck... this list has played most of or nearly half of that timeframe.

Dawn of a new era with the passing game a few decades ago. And, aside from Luck - you will see all of those guys in the HOF.

Pablo
01-25-2020, 08:20 AM
Eli Manning won two SBs on the luckiest fucking luck anyone has ever had.

We've seen the lucky shit that child molester Brady had happen in order for him to system QB his way into a few titles.

Glass houses and all.

Pablo
01-25-2020, 08:22 AM
He's gonna get in. Played forever, got the right name and beat the cheats twice. I'd put him in solely for denying those frauds two more tainted titles.

FringeNC
01-25-2020, 08:24 AM
What about Matt Ryan? Does he get in? He's been a much better QB than Eli but doesn't have the name or the titles.

Pablo
01-25-2020, 08:26 AM
What about Matt Ryan? Does he get in? He's been a much better QB than Eli but doesn't have the name or the titles.

Needs a ring, and he's not getting one.

Shit, how about Phyllis?

Mile High Mania
01-25-2020, 08:52 AM

So, explain that... would love to hear the argument.

I've already gone on record to say that Eli, Ben, Rivers, Ryan and ultimatlely Stafford if he plays another 3-4 years will get in on stats/longevity alone. But, curious to hear the Ryan is greater than Eli bullet points.

njchiefs
01-25-2020, 08:56 AM
Being from NJ, he gets my vote, because if it weren’t for his draft day antics I would have had to watch that cry baby Phillip Rivers on TV every Sunday for the last 15 years.

PAChiefsGuy
01-25-2020, 09:19 AM
He's gonna get in. Played forever, got the right name and beat the cheats twice. I'd put him in solely for denying those frauds two more tainted titles.

Well you are a moron so that does explain why you'd put a QB in HOF for 'beating' the Pats when you consistently screamed when Alex Smith was here how winning is a 'team accomplishment'.

Typical flip flop from Pablo The Duck.

Eli doesn't deserve to get in. He's an average QB who helped win Giants two SBs with some clutch plays. But those Giants teams mainly won due to probably the best dline the NFL has ever seen.

Mennonite
01-25-2020, 09:53 AM
Shit, how about Phyllis?

In a landslide...if his children grow up to be HOF voters.

If not, Whitney Houston will probably make it in before him.

Dayze
01-25-2020, 10:02 AM
The hall of fame has turned into the Hall of Really Good.

Pablo
01-25-2020, 10:05 AM
Well you are a moron so that does explain why you'd put a QB in HOF for 'beating' the Pats when you consistently screamed when Alex Smith was here how winning is a 'team accomplishment'.

Typical flip flop from Pablo The Duck.

Eli doesn't deserve to get in. He's an average QB who helped win Giants two SBs with some clutch plays. But those Giants teams mainly won due to probably the best dline the NFL has ever seen.

Hey, Alice didn't win shit when he was here. And he never will. Go chug his jizz on a Skins board you massive queer.

Mile High Mania
01-25-2020, 10:30 AM
Hey, Alice didn't win shit when he was here. And he never will. Go chug his jizz on a Skins board you massive queer.

https://media0.giphy.com/media/VGfc1Ia4HjgvC/giphy.gif

Chiefshrink
01-25-2020, 10:37 AM
Eli is the definition of winning ugly when it was on the line.;)

PAChiefsGuy
01-25-2020, 10:41 AM

Never said he did Duck boy...

Easy 6
01-25-2020, 10:53 AM
Without Eli the Patriots would have EIGHT championships

He should go in for that reason alone IMO

Mennonite
01-25-2020, 11:02 AM
Without Eli the Patriots would have EIGHT championships

He should go in for that reason alone IMO

And his brother's teams knocked them out of three AFC championship games. Brady made it to 12 championship games during an era where the NFL is set up to create parity. Total b.s. Cheating cunts.

Mile High Mania
01-25-2020, 11:07 AM
And his brother's teams knocked them out of three AFC championship games. Brady made it to 12 championship games during an era where the NFL is set up to create parity. Total b.s. Cheating ****s.

Yeah, Peyton was 3-1 vs Brady in the AFCCG and Eli was 2-0 vs Brady in the SB. Crazy. Mannings ended Brady's season 5 of 6 times they matched up.

FringeNC
01-25-2020, 12:16 PM
So, explain that... would love to hear the argument.

I've already gone on record to say that Eli, Ben, Rivers, Ryan and ultimatlely Stafford if he plays another 3-4 years will get in on stats/longevity alone. But, curious to hear the Ryan is greater than Eli bullet points.

10 points better career QB rating, far few interceptions. Quick look at the raw stats.

crayzkirk
01-26-2020, 08:01 PM
He will make it into the Hall of Favorites. New York has too much power. The strength of the Giants was always the defense. Eli never impressed me as being all that smart and due to a dropped interception on the play before, the helmet catch occurred. As others have said, he is Rivers with a couple of rings. Put Eli in the AFC West and he does nothing except get smashed.

Mile High Mania
01-26-2020, 10:29 PM
10 points better career QB rating, far few interceptions. Quick look at the raw stats.

Well, 234 vs 189 games started... overall, Ryan has a 2.2% INT ratio compard to 3.0% for Eli.

For example, Favre was 3.3% and his QB rating was only 2 greater than Eli. Marino was also at a 3% INT ratio with an 86 QB rating. Not suggesting either QB is like Favre or Marino. Just seems like weird stats to compare.

I dunno that those two stats do much for me to differentiate between Eli and Ryan.

KCFalcon59
01-26-2020, 10:34 PM
Eli was a good QB who was great on the biggest stage. He deserves the HOF for his 2 SB wins.

KurtCobain
01-27-2020, 12:03 AM
Put Eli in the AFC West and he does nothing except get smashed.

Kirk, you're right, but you're just so damn crazy.