PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Don't call tyrann Mathieu the honey badger

chiefzilla1501
01-26-2020, 09:58 AM
All hail the landlord

This story is great. Terez knocks is out of the park once again.
https://sports.yahoo.com/how-tyrann-mathieu-went-from-honey-badger-to-landlord-of-chiefs-kingdom-in-just-one-season-224432163.html

Marcellus
01-26-2020, 10:29 AM
Awesome article.

DaFace
01-26-2020, 10:29 AM
Hadn't really heard his reasoning behind the nickname. Definitely seems fitting.

Buehler445
01-26-2020, 11:22 AM
Love the guy.

Honestly though, Reid and Spagnuolo deserve a ton of credit to have the stones to bring in a guy like that, promising that shit up front. Man, if he’d bombed, or clashed in the locker room or any number of things could have made this thing fail spectacularly.

Reid and Spagnuolo definitely deserve credit. Especially when the defense was shitting the bed.

Demonpenz
01-26-2020, 11:30 AM
Honey Badger is a landlord by default because they are so tough. Seriously though. If you watch how low and how he gives no fucks. I don't know how a player could be more like an animal nickname

digger
01-26-2020, 11:37 AM
http://www.notperfit.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Fitness-Is-Rented-Not-Owned-700x441.jpg

Bowser
01-26-2020, 12:25 PM
Love the guy.

Honestly though, Reid and Spagnuolo deserve a ton of credit to have the stones to bring in a guy like that, promising that shit up front. Man, if he’d bombed, or clashed in the locker room or any number of things could have made this thing fail spectacularly.

Reid and Spagnuolo definitely deserve credit. Especially when the defense was shitting the bed.

Throw Veach in with that praise, as well.

Veach hasn't batted 1.000 as a GM with us, but he's out there trying to upgrade the roster when he can, and that's a dammed sight better than what came before him (Dorsey tried but he had no concept of a "salary cap").

DaFace
01-26-2020, 12:27 PM

Veach hasn't batted 1.000 as a GM with us, but he's out there trying to upgrade the roster when he can, and that's a dammed sight better than what came before him (Dorsey tried but he had no concept of a "salary cap").

He hasn't batted 1.000, but he's got to be about as high as any GM in the league in the past 12 months.

Bowser
01-26-2020, 12:31 PM
He hasn't batted 1.000, but he's got to be about as high as any GM in the league in the past 12 months.

Agreed. Mathieu, Clark, the team friendly Tyreek contract, and don't discount the Suggs rental, either.

I'm legit curious with what he does regarding Mahomes' upcoming mammoth contract. And Chris Jones, for that matter.

DaFace
01-26-2020, 12:36 PM
Agreed. Mathieu, Clark, the team friendly Tyreek contract, and don't discount the Suggs rental, either.

I'm legit curious with what he does regarding Mahomes' upcoming mammoth contract. And Chris Jones, for that matter.

And the 2019 draft:

Mecole Hardman (probably a starter next year, key contributor this year)
Juan Thornhill (starter this year)
Khalen Saunders (rotational contributor)
Rashad Fenton (rotational contributor with starter upside)
Darwin Thompson (decent change of pace back)
Nick Allegretti (has potential and, if not, he was a 7th rounder)

Buehler445
01-26-2020, 12:39 PM
Saunders is a hell of a pick. Remember when we drafted Glenn Dorsey who was a “cant miss” guy and didn’t do fuckall for 3 years because it “takes a long time to learn develop DL”?

This dude rolls right in here and is a critical piece to stopping some really really good rushing attacks this year.

dj56dt58
01-26-2020, 01:18 PM
Saunders is a hell of a pick. Remember when we drafted Glenn Dorsey who was a “cant miss” guy and didn’t do ****all for 3 years because it “takes a long time to learn develop DL”?

This dude rolls right in here and is a critical piece to stopping some really really good rushing attacks this year.

Glenn Dorsey..Reggie white 2.0

Rasputin
01-26-2020, 01:27 PM
“It’s not that they didn’t have leaders here,” Mathieu told Yahoo Sports. “It’s more, I think, that he [general manager Brett Veach] was looking for a certain personality that could really kind of lead other alphas.”

This quote is really telling of the vision Brett Veach has for this team I love it.

BossChief
01-26-2020, 01:33 PM

Pennel
Ogbah
Wisnewski
Breeland
Bell
Harris
Rankin
Moore

jjchieffan
01-26-2020, 01:52 PM

Agreed. Although, with all due respect to Veach, let's not get carried away with the salary cap being better now. Because it's really not. Veach has had the benefit of a quarterback on a rookie contract to give him extra room. But the salary cap is kinda scary moving forward now that Mahomes is about to get paid. Hitchens and Watkins were overpaid. But we had that luxury because of the Mahomes deal. Clark has a huge cap number, as does Mathieu. Jones deserves a huge contract, but I'm not sure how the team can manage to pay it. They have to spend a lot of money this off-season. We have to add or retain 2-3 corners. We have to replace 1-2 wide receivers, at least 2 linebackers. And we have no cap space. It's going to take some creative cap maneuvering to make all of that come together. Sure, Watkins can be cut and restructured. And there are some other moves to be made. Now is when we will see if Veach is better at the cap than Dorsey.

BWillie
01-26-2020, 02:26 PM
"Rent is due" - great quote. I fucking love it.

Demonpenz
01-26-2020, 02:37 PM
People here would be freaking out if they got the assclown version of Matthau. No since Veech got his nuts dipped in Yost Devil magic everything is going as planned

Easy 6
01-26-2020, 02:47 PM
Yeah I read this on yahoo over coffee yesterday morning

You gotta love Mathieu, this guy overcame a real shit childhood to become a very good man... not to mention he’s a defensive Goliath who’s no bigger than me

Incredible

eDave
01-26-2020, 04:38 PM
Hadn't really heard his reasoning behind the nickname. Definitely seems fitting.

I heard him say once that he didn't get it either. But is rolling with it.

Imon Yourside
01-26-2020, 04:40 PM
Giners say T-Math is hard, let's shop!

ThyKingdomCome15
01-26-2020, 07:29 PM
Why do little tough guys not like little tough guy nicknames? Honey Badger wants to be called Landlord. The Termite wants to be called D-Train. But hey, I'm just glad they're Chiefs.

TinyEvel
01-27-2020, 01:05 AM
I think Landlord is abetter nickname for Mahomes because HE GONNA GET ALL THE MONEY BY THE 3RD OF NEXT MONTH!

Lzen
01-27-2020, 09:33 AM
Agreed. Although, with all due respect to Veach, let's not get carried away with the salary cap being better now. Because it's really not. Veach has had the benefit of a quarterback on a rookie contract to give him extra room. But the salary cap is kinda scary moving forward now that Mahomes is about to get paid. Hitchens and Watkins were overpaid. But we had that luxury because of the Mahomes deal. Clark has a huge cap number, as does Mathieu. Jones deserves a huge contract, but I'm not sure how the team can manage to pay it. They have to spend a lot of money this off-season. We have to add or retain 2-3 corners. We have to replace 1-2 wide receivers, at least 2 linebackers. And we have no cap space. It's going to take some creative cap maneuvering to make all of that come together. Sure, Watkins can be cut and restructured. And there are some other moves to be made. Now is when we will see if Veach is better at the cap than Dorsey.

I think Veach is better than Dorsey with regards to the cap because he gave guys like Hitch and Watkins only 3-year contracts. Plus, he doesn't give ridiculous contracts to old veterans on the team that are on the downside of their careers.

ghak99
01-27-2020, 10:47 AM
Why do little tough guys not like little tough guy nicknames? Honey Badger wants to be called Landlord. The Termite wants to be called D-Train. But hey, I'm just glad they're Chiefs.

Same reason they buy big ass trucks they have to jump into. Landlord seems like a terrible nickname. If he goes broke after football it opens the door to slumlord. Always gotta be thinking abut the future.

Here's to hoping his little man syndrome helps him break it off in a 9'er or two though. :thumb:

htismaqe
01-27-2020, 10:53 AM
Last year, I didn't want this guy. Saw him get beat too much over the top and really wanted a true free safety.

Man was I wrong.

First, the Chiefs don't ask him to play a lot of deep coverage, at least not consistently, so they mask possibly his only weakness.

Second, this guy brings leadership in spades. He's the perfect compliment to Mahomes on the defensive side of the ball.

I love Tyrann Mathieu. His contribution to this year's team can't be understated.

CityOfKansas
01-27-2020, 11:46 AM
According to Wikipedia, "Despite its name, the honey badger does not closely resemble other badger species; instead, it bears more anatomical similarities to weasels." So... I would not say Tyrann is a weasel. The new "Landlord" is way better.

Halfcan
01-27-2020, 11:49 AM
I bet he gets at least 1 interception this weekend off turnover-prone Jimmy Grapes.

ReynardMuldrake
01-27-2020, 03:03 PM
I bet he gets at least 1 interception this weekend off turnover-prone Jimmy Grapes.

I get more of a strip-sack vibe from Jimmy G, maybe that's just me.

FlaChief58
01-27-2020, 03:27 PM
I still think Honey Badger is more fitting.

Small, aggressive and not scared of shit.

DaFace
01-27-2020, 03:34 PM
I still think Honey Badger is more fitting.

Small, aggressive and not scared of shit.

I still like it, but I get where he's coming from.

HB = Single animal that is relentless despite its size
Landlord = Guy who manages the whole operation

Beef Supreme
01-27-2020, 04:07 PM
When he yells at the guys before the game to get them fired up, he kinda sounds like what I imagine a Honey Badger to sound like.

Otter
01-27-2020, 04:40 PM
I always thought 'honey badger' was a cool nickname. That's my sisters nickname actually.