PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Clark Hunt: Mahomes contract doesn’t have to be this offseason

Gravedigger
01-28-2020, 01:09 PM
Personally, I wouldn't play even the smallest ounce of hardball with him. That's just me though. This must be a public reply to a crazy initial offer from his agent.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28585153/chiefs-owner-clark-hunt-says-patrick-mahomes-extension-year-away

AVENTURA, Fla. -- Patrick Mahomes may have to wait another year for his massive contract extension.

Kansas City Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt said the Chiefs could wait until next year to sign Mahomes to a new contract.

"There will be a right time sometime in the next 12 to 15 months to extend Patrick, and when I say right time, I mean right time for both the player and the club,'' Hunt said as the Chiefs prepare for Super Bowl LIV against the San Francisco 49ers.

"I don't want to say necessarily it has to be this offseason, but I will say that it's a priority to get him done.

"I hope Patrick is here for his entire career, and that's going to be our goal.''

Mahomes, the Chiefs' first-round draft pick in 2017, is eligible for a contract extension now that he's finished his third season. The contract he signed as a rookie expires after next season and the Chiefs could extend it a year beyond that by exercising the fifth-year option.

DRM08
01-28-2020, 01:13 PM
Wonder if that rumor about a separate QB cap might happen. That would really help the KC front office.

ChiefBlueCFC
01-28-2020, 01:16 PM
Wonder if that rumor about a separate QB cap might happen. That would really help the KC front office.

Yeah, that would be interesting. I think with the CBA up soon, it might be smart to wait. Pat might be able to get more money this route and the Chiefs could continue to retain players like Chris Jones, Charvarius Ward, etc.

FloridaMan88
01-28-2020, 01:16 PM
They are probably just waiting for the new CBA to get completed.

Not worried at all.

pugsnotdrugs19
01-28-2020, 01:22 PM
If they create a new QB cap... the Chiefs are going to be an absolute dynasty. There’s no ifs ands or buts.

It’d be bad for league parity, great for us IMO.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
01-28-2020, 01:28 PM
Veach and Clark have publicly stated that they will not discuss a new deal until the new CBA is in place

Sorce
01-28-2020, 01:31 PM
I just read this as CBA first then we figure it out.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Dayze
01-28-2020, 01:34 PM
when is the new CBA?

DRM08
01-28-2020, 01:36 PM
when is the new CBA?

They have some kind of big meeting on Thursday. But it sounds to me like there are still major issues to resolve before they can finalize a deal.

ChiefBlueCFC
01-28-2020, 01:37 PM
when is the new CBA?

current CBA is set to expire after 2020 season

JohnnyHammersticks
01-28-2020, 01:40 PM
Better be a "No Flying in Helicopters" clause in this contract extension.

bdj23
01-28-2020, 01:41 PM
If they create a new QB cap... the Chiefs are going to be an absolute dynasty. There’s no ifs ands or buts.

AFC hasn't had much parity for two decades. Time for Cheatriots, Shitsburg and Donks to suffer.

smithandrew051
01-28-2020, 01:44 PM

The outrage from opposing fans would be hilarious. I really hope it happens.

Dayze
01-28-2020, 01:44 PM
thank you gentlemen.

BossChief
01-28-2020, 01:50 PM

I’ve heard that they will have QB contracts only partially count towards the cap. Something like 80%.

We’ll see what actually happens though.

Dayze
01-28-2020, 01:51 PM
would the NFLPA push for a 1 player cap exemption for Offense and Defense?

DRM08
01-28-2020, 02:01 PM
The outrage from opposing fans would be hilarious. I really hope it happens.

Funny thing is Jerry Jones might be the one pushing for this. He is worried a $35-40M Prescott salary will screw him on the salary cap. But the Chiefs would benefit more than anyone from this proposal. Seattle would also benefit a lot from it. Those are the two best QBs who are still prime age.

xbarretx
01-28-2020, 02:05 PM
Better be a "No Flying in Helicopters" clause in this contract extension.

And no driving in the Dominican Republic!!!!!!!!! #RIPACE

BWillie
01-28-2020, 02:09 PM
Pay him 200 billion.

xbarretx
01-28-2020, 02:13 PM
Pay him 200 billion.

and throw in unlimited PIIHB tokens and Q-repellent spray to sweeten the pot :hmmm:

LMAO

scho63
01-28-2020, 02:46 PM
Give him a piece of ownership in the Chiefs and you can have a much lower salary.

Win-Win-Win

Halfcan
01-28-2020, 02:48 PM
Clark, give him your daughter.

srvy
01-28-2020, 02:56 PM
Oh yes please do make a special QB cap. This would be the league way of fixing the cheating fraud chariots. Pat and crew will eclipse those frauds in short order.

typed with my trusty nose picker using Tapatalk

suzzer99
01-28-2020, 02:57 PM
So this really sounds like we're not making a deal until after the 2020 season - is that right? I mean no way they hammer out a CBA that fast if they haven't even started yet.

comochiefsfan
01-28-2020, 03:03 PM
All these idiot GM’s whining about not being able to build a team because they committed an absurd amount of money to an average quarterback (Rams, Vikings, soon to be Cowboys, etc.) are going to allow KC to build the biggest dynasty the league has ever seen because of their own stupidity.

This is fantastic.

htismaqe
01-28-2020, 03:07 PM
So this really sounds like we're not making a deal until after the 2020 season - is that right? I mean no way they hammer out a CBA that fast if they haven't even started yet.

Ideally, they want to have a new CBA in place prior to the expiration of the old one. Things get freaky when labor contracts expire.

So yeah, once they start meeting in earnest, they'll hammer it out pretty quick, provided neither side has any show-stopper demands.

duncan_idaho
01-28-2020, 03:10 PM
Any of these proposals sound amazing and advantageous to the Chiefs.

QB-specific, separate cap? Cool.
QB salaries only count a certain percentage against the cap? Cool.
QB exempt from the cap? Cool.

Even just the cap bump that's anticipated with the new CBA (jumping it up into the 225 million range, or +$30 million from current) is great for the Chiefs, since Mahomes' deal will likely be one of the first done after the agreement is announced.

It's nice being in the catbird's seat. All this stuff just increases the advantage gained.

SAUTO
01-28-2020, 03:22 PM
The chiefs and mahomes both know the deal is going to get done, i'm hearing neither are in a super hurry. both feel it would be advantageous to wait until the new CBA gets done...

he's going to be a chief for life

R Clark
01-28-2020, 03:26 PM
So Clark is on the finance committee ,does that have anything to do with the cap?

The Franchise
01-28-2020, 03:37 PM
The chiefs and mahomes both know the deal is going to get done, i'm hearing neither are in a super hurry. both feel it would be advantageous to wait until the new CBA gets done...

he's going to be a chief for life

Of course Mahomes wants to wait. Two championships in a row is going to make him a rich man.

DomCasual
01-28-2020, 05:19 PM
They're going to let him test the market, clearly - see if anyone is willing to go crazy, and offer him something longer than a 3-year deal.

Pretty smart.

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-28-2020, 06:00 PM
Rumor has it that if Mahomes wins the SB he will sit out 2020 without a new contract.

Chiefshrink
01-28-2020, 06:17 PM
They have some kind of big meeting on Thursday. But it sounds to me like there are still major issues to resolve before they can finalize a deal.

They are not anywhere close.:shake:

Chief Pagan
01-28-2020, 06:27 PM
Rumor has it that if Mahomes wins the SB he will sit out 2020 without a new contract.

Nah. I figure after he wins it all once he rides off into the sunset.

The silver lining is he replaces Boog on MNF.

comochiefsfan
01-28-2020, 06:29 PM

Not a chance in hell.

I will cut off my own dick and eat it if Mahomes pulls a stunt like this.

That would be wildly out of character for him.

Skyy God
01-28-2020, 06:31 PM
They're going to let him test the market, clearly - see if anyone is willing to go crazy, and offer him something longer than a 3-year deal.

Pretty smart.

Favorite snack as a child: lead paint chips or glue??

Counting his 5th year option and the tag, 2023 is the soonest he’d hit the market.

Chiefs aren’t going to Kurt Cousins him.

Marcellus
01-28-2020, 06:44 PM
I don't buy this simply because letting him play another year for cheap and put up crazy numbers will only increase his cost even more later.

Marcellus
01-28-2020, 06:45 PM

Why do you feel the need to stir shit?

DRM08
01-28-2020, 06:53 PM
I don't buy this simply because letting him play another year for cheap and put up crazy numbers will only increase his cost even more later.

Maybe it’s about to become much easier to give him the big contract. Special salary cap rules for QB’s perhaps, or maybe the salary cap increases a bunch.

Plus you might as well take advantage of the super cheap salary in 2020. Just because Philly and the Rams were stupid enough to give a new deal to their QB after 3 years does not mean the Chiefs should follow that approach.

Marcellus
01-28-2020, 06:57 PM
Maybe it’s about to become much easier to give him the big contract. Special salary cap rules for QB’s perhaps, or maybe the salary cap increases a bunch.

Plus you might as well take advantage of the super cheap salary in 2020. Just because Philly and the Rams were stupid enough to give a new deal to their QB after 3 years does not mean the Chiefs should follow that approach.

Best to get out in front of it, likely the contract won't look outrageous a few years down the road.

Mahomes_Is_God
01-28-2020, 07:02 PM
Nah. It's more likely we trade him and pick up a stud like Derek Carr or Phyllis or Brady. It's win-win.

wazu
01-28-2020, 07:03 PM

I don't want anything to change with the cap. That's terrible for KC. We want things like they are.

seclark
01-28-2020, 07:04 PM
Not a chance in hell.

I will cut off my own dick and eat it if Mahomes pulls a stunt like this.

That would be wildly out of character for him.

Agree but damn
Sec

bringbackmarty
01-28-2020, 07:17 PM
Kinda think whether Clark intentend this or not that this news will motivate Mahomes to score 7 TD's on Sunday.

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-28-2020, 07:30 PM
Nah. It's more likely we trade him and pick up a stud like Derek Carr or Phyllis or Brady. It's win-win.

It's just dumb to pay a QB 40 mil when you could just sign Moore and Henne both for less than 10

Plus as a bonus we'll get better draft picks

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-28-2020, 07:33 PM
Why do you feel the need to stir shit?

Why can't I start a rumor . I mean someone has to do it.

DRM08
01-28-2020, 07:35 PM
I don't want anything to change with the cap. That's terrible for KC. We want things like they are.

I think you want the scenario where QB’s are separate from the rest of the cap. This would mean other teams have zero spending advantage for the rest of the roster after Mahomes is a high dollar guy.

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-28-2020, 07:37 PM
I think you want the scenario where QB’s are separate from the rest of the cap. This would mean other teams have zero spending advantage for the rest of the roster after Mahomes is a high dollar guy.

Or , Somebody like Jerry Jones could offer him 100mil

jjkrueg
01-28-2020, 07:44 PM
Or , Somebody like Jerry Jones could offer him 100mil

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wazu
01-28-2020, 08:05 PM

And the New York Giants could offer Mahomes $1B dollars for 5 years.

JakeF
01-28-2020, 11:08 PM
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2020/1/28/21112322/clark-hunt-mahomes-contract-doesnt-have-to-be-this-offseason?fbclid=IwAR0NtKco65E1psiV1DTaxtwFfBikdyfCD-YNoQg25Q5YtDF_xcdPy6L8aQI

Clark Hunt: Mahomes contract doesn’t have to be this offseason

The Chiefs’ star quarterback is widely expected to get a new contract this offseason — but the team’s owner stopped short of saying that’s what will happen.

By John Dixon@Arrowheadphones Jan 28, 2020, 1:57pm CST
Ron Chenoy-USA TODAY Sports

Regardless of whether the Kansas City Chiefs win Super Bowl LIV, it’s been presumed that the team’s first order of offseason business will be to sign their star quarterback Patrick Mahomes to a long-term contract extension that is likely to be the largest contract ever given to an NFL player — as much as $200 million or more.

But speaking in Miami as his team prepares for its first appearance in the league’s championship game in 50 years, Chiefs owner Clark Hunt — while acknowledging signing Mahomes to a long-term deal is a priority for the team — stopped short of saying it would happen right away,

“There will be a right time sometime in the next 12 to 15 months to extend Patrick,” he said via ESPN. “And when I say ‘right time,’ I mean right time for both the player and the club.

”I don’t want to say necessarily it has to be this offseason,” he added, “but I will say that it’s a priority to get him done.”

And Hunt spoke the words Chiefs fans most want to hear.

”I hope Patrick is here for his entire career — and that’s going to be our goal.’’

Now completing the third year of his four-year rookie contract, Mahomes would be eligible for a contract extension after the season is concluded. But since Mahomes was a first-round draft selection, the Chiefs can also exercise the fifth-year option on his contract to keep him with the team through the 2021 season.

It seems unlikely the Chiefs would go to that extreme — if for no other reason than the already-extreme market value for quarterbacks will continue to rise — but the team has other problems, too.

One is the yet-unresolved contract situation with defensive tackle Chris Jones, whom the Chiefs hoped to sign to a contract extension before the 2019 season. The Chiefs also have only two cornerbacks under contract for 2020. It’s not hard to imagine a scenario where the Chiefs might consider delaying Mahomes’ extension for a year.

There is yet another variable to consider: the league’s collective bargaining agreement with the NFL Players Association ends after the 2020 season. Either the Chiefs or Mahomes’ representatives — led by longtime sports agent Leigh Steinberg — may seek to delay an agreement until the new CBA is in place, hoping that the new deal will give them an advantage they don’t currently have.

So there are many layers to consider. In the short term, we can expect something similar to what we saw last season with Jones: after the Super Bowl, Steinberg and the Chiefs will start talking about a new Mahomes contract.

What we don’t know is how long they will keep talking before a deal is finalized.

BigRedChief
01-28-2020, 11:14 PM
Don’t fuck around with this Clark.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
01-28-2020, 11:16 PM
It’s been publicly stated that they are waiting on the new CBA to be implemented first

Pitt Gorilla
01-28-2020, 11:16 PM
Quite a development.

BossChief
01-28-2020, 11:26 PM
We not only got the perfect quarterback, we got him at the PERFECT time.

Pat doesn’t want to sign early and the team doesn’t want to extend him early because Clark knows QBs are going to get paid even more in the new CBA. We get a full 4 years of cheap MVP quality play and then at least one more year with a low cap hit (KC structures it’s deals with vet min first year salary and a SB that spreads over time) before his salary will skyrocket and by then, gambling $, longer regular season and shorter preseason, possibly more playoff games and international money will push the cap wayyy up.

Pat will be the highest paid player in the NFL by quite a bit when he signs his deal.

And it will be a bargain.

GloryDayz
01-28-2020, 11:33 PM
:hmmm:

Easy 6
01-28-2020, 11:41 PM
Don’t fuck around with this Clark.

He won’t... no one thinks Patrick is getting away, right?

The Clarks have no choice, it’s inevitable

BWillie
01-28-2020, 11:43 PM
It’s been publicly stated that they are waiting on the new CBA to be implemented first

What would the advantage to that be? Wouldn't the new CBA, if anything be more player friendly and require us to pay even more?

It would make sense if Patrick was waiting for that, but why would the Chiefs?

This is just me thinking off the cuff with very little understanding how contracts work. I'm sure someone can come along and enlighten us.

DRM08
01-28-2020, 11:44 PM
”I hope Patrick is here for his entire career — and that’s going to be our goal.’’

And that's the bottom line here. They'll figure it out when they figure it out.

htismaqe
01-29-2020, 12:11 AM
What would the advantage to that be? Wouldn't the new CBA, if anything be more player friendly and require us to pay even more?

This is just me thinking off the cuff with very little understanding how contracts work. I'm sure someone can come along and enlighten us.

Well, if you'd read the whole thread :thumb: there has been talks about having special salary cap considerations for QB's in the new CBA, like having a separate cap just for them, for example.

BossChief
01-29-2020, 12:13 AM

Pat is a ultra competitor that wants to win more than anything. He passed on tons of endorsements (lots of$$$) as a rookie because he didn’t want distractions and to take away from Alex’s team. He bought a modest house for a guy like him (I was hoping they could find a way for him to get Lamars old mansion) Money isn’t a major driving force behind his career.

Clark knows QB salaries are going to be a huge part of the new CBA. I’m sure conversations were had with Mahomes agent.

They will exercise the 5th year option this offseason and get a deal done after next season with the new CBA in place to cushion the blow of QB contracts, allowing KC even more flexibility to the cap to retain its own talent and sustain a championship squad for the next decade. Tons of new $ will flood the league and cause the cap to skyrocket sooner rather than later. Gambling $. Overseas $. New tv deals. More games.

This is going to be the best ride of all time.

SAUTO
01-29-2020, 08:17 AM
they want to keep this group pretty much intact for next year.

ChiefRocka
01-29-2020, 08:46 AM
Why now? Seriously

FloridaMan88
01-29-2020, 10:30 AM
In response to a question about what Mahomes loves about KC...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EPdFnsgX4AAyJ6k.jpg:large

The Franchise
01-29-2020, 10:34 AM
He won’t... no one thinks Patrick is getting away, right?

The Clarks have no choice, it’s inevitable

Fans in KC would burn Arrowhead to the ground if Clark let Mahomes go to another team.

Jerok
01-29-2020, 10:37 AM
If Patty doesnt get a new contract we get 1 more year of cheap Patrick. Release Sammy and spent some money and our team can be even better next year.

The Franchise
01-29-2020, 11:20 AM
If Patty doesnt get a new contract we get 1 more year of cheap Patrick. Release Sammy and spent some money and our team can be even better next year.

Shit....if Sammy goes off in the SB and we don’t have to worry about Pat’s contract for another year? Extend Jones and see if you can work on a restructure or a new deal with Sammy. Keep this offense together and go get a 2nd ring.

And that’s not to say that I would be upset if they decided to let Sammy go. I just think that our WR group wouldn’t be a strength with Watkins and Robinson gone.

KChiefs1
01-29-2020, 11:21 AM
Mahomes wants to play whole career in KC, plus other things Chiefs said at Super Bowl

BY PETE GRATHOFF AND BLAIR KERKHOFF| PGRATHOFF@KCSTAR.COM AND BKERKHOFF@KCSTAR.COM

MIAMI

The feeling in Kansas City is mutual.

Every Chiefs player was made available Wednesday to the media covering Super Bowl LIV, and quarterback Patrick Mahomes was asked what makes Kansas City special when he’s not on the field.

“It was the people,” Mahomes said. “The people are what really drew me to Kansas City, and what I hope I get to play their the rest of my career there now.

“Just the people and how accept you and how they care more about you as a person than they do as a player. And how much passion they have for the Chiefs, it’s special and it’s somewhere where I want to be for the rest of my career.”

Despite his counting to 10 moment against Chicago last month, Mahomes is thankful that the Chiefs were the team that drafted him in 2017.

“I think I ended up in the perfect place,” Mahomes said. “To have coach (Andy) Reid and these coaches around me, to have Alex Smith in front of me for a year and be able to learn from him and obviously to have all the players that I have around me. I’m in a place were the team was already a winning team, a team that had a lot of success and I came in, was able to just be who I am and ended up being able to win a lot of football games early in my career.”

Mahomes signed a four-year rookie contract after he was drafted by the Chiefs, and that will expire at the end of the 2020 season.

Chiefs chairman/CEO Clark Hunt said the team wants Mahomes to stay where he is.

“I’ve said before that I hope Patrick is here for his entire career and that’s going to be our goal,” Hunt said Tuesday. “But there will be a right time, sometime in the next 12-15 months to extend Patrick and when I say right time, I mean right time for both, the player and the club. I don’t want to say is has to necessarily be this off-season but I will say it’s a priority to get it done.”

Here are highlights of what else Mahomes and his teammates said on Wednesday:

Mahomes on falling behind in the first two playoff games: “It’s funny because the last two years that I’ve played, I felt like we’ve always got off to a great start and scored a lot of points and at the last two games, we haven’t been able to do that. So for us, it’s about just going in there with the right mindset, not trying too much, stay with the game plan and I just played the last three quarters of both the last two games and if we do that and just execute a little bit higher level in the beginning of the game again, we can hopefully not fall behind like we have the last two weeks.”

smithandrew051
01-29-2020, 11:22 AM
Shit....if Sammy goes off in the SB and we don’t have to worry about Pat’s contract for another year? Extend Jones and see if you can work on a restructure or a new deal with Sammy. Keep this offense together and go get a 2nd ring.

And that’s not to say that I would be upset if they decided to let Sammy go. I just think that our WR group wouldn’t be a strength with Watkins and Robinson gone.

If Sammy goes off in the Super Bowl, I would trade him. I bet he would be able to fetch a second round pick after the crazy playoff run he had. That team can then restructure and extend. Everyone wins.

stevieray
01-29-2020, 11:22 AM
Damned if it didn't take him 12 years, but this ship is righted.

FloridaMan88
01-29-2020, 11:24 AM

It is easy for me to say since it is not my $$$, but I think that Sammy would want to find a way to stay in KC and with Mahomes even it means having to restructure his contract.

The Franchise
01-29-2020, 11:29 AM
It is easy for me to say since it is not my $$$, but I think that Sammy would want to find a way to stay in KC and with Mahomes even it means having to restructure his contract.

Exactly. He’s already said that signing with the Chiefs was the best decision he’s made in his career. Yeah he’s not getting the gaudy stats....but what does that matter if you’ve got a chance at a ring every year? Veach overpaid to get him here and I think Sammy might be willing to take less money to stay here with Pat.

And if I’m being honest....Pat seems like the type of guy who wouldn’t nickel and dime the Chiefs for a bunch of extra money. He loves ownership. He loves the city and the fans. He knows Veach went fucking nuts to get the chance to draft him and Mahomes has made Reid look young again. Mahomes fucking loves it here.

RunKC
01-29-2020, 11:37 AM

We are returning all of our coaches again and can retain all of our same players while adding new ones.

I know it’s early but I can see us coming back to Florida next year for the Super Bowl again.

DRM08
01-29-2020, 11:41 AM
If Sammy goes off in the Super Bowl, I would trade him. I bet he would be able to fetch a second round pick after the crazy playoff run he had. That team can then restructure and extend. Everyone wins.

Trade sounds good. That would give $21M of cap space for 2020 roster.

I'm hoping Sammy wants to stick around and restructure. As a Top 5 pick and a free agent, he has already been paid a hell of a lot of money by Buffalo & KC. I'd rather win rings if I was in his shoes.

But can't blame him if he wants the big money. Plus he could find a team that's willing to pay big money AND has a loaded enough roster to win a ring as well.

KINGPIN CHIEFS FAN
01-29-2020, 11:51 AM

Mahomes made Albert Wilson a star in just 1 game, he will be able to work with any capable receiver. Plus every smart free agent will want to sign with the Chiefs just for the chance to go to the Superbowl every year. K C's star will shine bright for many years to come because we drafted the right player at the right time!

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
01-29-2020, 11:54 AM
I’d restructure Watkins contract. If he’s willing to take around 10-11 mil a year I’d do that deal a heartbeat

Hoover
01-29-2020, 12:10 PM
It's not wrong for the Chiefs to try and reload and go all in for 2021.

Lets see what happens on Sunday! Exciting time to be a CHIEFS fan!

Hoover
01-29-2020, 12:11 PM
I’d restructure Watkins contract. If he’s willing to take around 10-11 mil a year I’d do that deal a heartbeat
That's where I'm at. I think we would miss him when he's gone. I mean hell, do a deal that keeps him around while Hardman is on his rookie deal.

arrwheader
01-29-2020, 12:24 PM

Do you honestly really think that there is not a price tag in this world that Hunt would not pony up on. LOL the dude had the potential to be the best ever. He also has gotten the Chiefs to back to back AFCCG and the franchises first Superbowl Appearance in 50 years.

Don't think Clark is gonna go meh I don't think ill pay him.

Once thing is clear all the "Clark doesn't care about winning" talk is complete bullshit. IF people can't see that he wants to win and cares about this Franchise then they are blind.

He will pay him no matter what, and if him being on a cheap deal again through 1 more year gets Clark another SB then he will gladly pick up the tab for it.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
01-29-2020, 12:26 PM
Schefter said Mahomes should put in his contract that he gets a percentage of the cap. Like 15% or so since the cap goes up every year this would be smart

arrwheader
01-29-2020, 12:27 PM
Kinda think whether Clark intentend this or not that this news will motivate Mahomes to score 7 TD's on Sunday.

Mahomes already knew this before Clark said it. This isn't the fucking browns or jags organization. This is the Chiefs and they mutually want to work out a deal, it just has to benefit both parties and waiting on the new CBA is the way to go. Mahomes is richer than fuck with all his endorsements.

Fat Elvis
01-29-2020, 12:41 PM
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2020/1/28/21112322/clark-hunt-mahomes-contract-doesnt-have-to-be-this-offseason?fbclid=IwAR0NtKco65E1psiV1DTaxtwFfBikdyfCD-YNoQg25Q5YtDF_xcdPy6L8aQI

Clark Hunt: Mahomes contract doesn’t have to be this offseason

The Chiefs’ star quarterback is widely expected to get a new contract this offseason — but the team’s owner stopped short of saying that’s what will happen.

By John Dixon@Arrowheadphones Jan 28, 2020, 1:57pm CST
Ron Chenoy-USA TODAY Sports

Regardless of whether the Kansas City Chiefs win Super Bowl LIV, it’s been presumed that the team’s first order of offseason business will be to sign their star quarterback Patrick Mahomes to a long-term contract extension that is likely to be the largest contract ever given to an NFL player — as much as $200 million or more.

But speaking in Miami as his team prepares for its first appearance in the league’s championship game in 50 years, Chiefs owner Clark Hunt — while acknowledging signing Mahomes to a long-term deal is a priority for the team — stopped short of saying it would happen right away,

“There will be a right time sometime in the next 12 to 15 months to extend Patrick,” he said via ESPN. “And when I say ‘right time,’ I mean right time for both the player and the club.

”I don’t want to say necessarily it has to be this offseason,” he added, “but I will say that it’s a priority to get him done.”

And Hunt spoke the words Chiefs fans most want to hear.

Now completing the third year of his four-year rookie contract, Mahomes would be eligible for a contract extension after the season is concluded. But since Mahomes was a first-round draft selection, the Chiefs can also exercise the fifth-year option on his contract to keep him with the team through the 2021 season.

It seems unlikely the Chiefs would go to that extreme — if for no other reason than the already-extreme market value for quarterbacks will continue to rise — but the team has other problems, too.

One is the yet-unresolved contract situation with defensive tackle Chris Jones, whom the Chiefs hoped to sign to a contract extension before the 2019 season. The Chiefs also have only two cornerbacks under contract for 2020. It’s not hard to imagine a scenario where the Chiefs might consider delaying Mahomes’ extension for a year.

There is yet another variable to consider: the league’s collective bargaining agreement with the NFL Players Association ends after the 2020 season. Either the Chiefs or Mahomes’ representatives — led by longtime sports agent Leigh Steinberg — may seek to delay an agreement until the new CBA is in place, hoping that the new deal will give them an advantage they don’t currently have.

So there are many layers to consider. In the short term, we can expect something similar to what we saw last season with Jones: after the Super Bowl, Steinberg and the Chiefs will start talking about a new Mahomes contract.

What we don’t know is how long they will keep talking before a deal is finalized.

That's it right there, and both CHunt and Steinberg know this. Neither party is in any hurry to get a contract done. There was a lot of cloak and dagger activity by Steinberg/Cabbot and Veach prior to the draft to ensure that Mahomes went to the Chiefs; that was the plan all along. CHunt will be working the CBA to ensure that organizations will have the flexibility to *really* pay their franchise player without hamstringing the rest of the team. Coming from a professional athlete background, Mahomes knows he is going to get paid. CHunt and Steinberg are all like

https://media.tenor.com/images/facf0b5c686ccd1c69a7ef719a12a575/tenor.gif

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/01/09/we-got-it-done-inside-story-how-patrick-mahomes-landed-with-chiefs/

DRM08
01-29-2020, 12:43 PM
Schefter said Mahomes should put in his contract that he gets a percentage of the cap. Like 15% or so since the cap goes up every year this would be smart

Highest paid QB is currently 18.5% but it will be interesting to see if Mahomes is willing to go with a Brady discount this early in his career. Brady did the discounts later in career after his 2nd contract was a record-setter.

Rasputin
01-29-2020, 12:50 PM
That's where I'm at. I think we would miss him when he's gone. I mean hell, do a deal that keeps him around while Hardman is on his rookie deal.

Hardman needs to take over Watsons job and we can let Watson go. Hardman is a homerun any time he touches the ball like Tyreek them on the field together is just phenomenal

BossChief
01-29-2020, 02:14 PM
Hardman needs to take over Watsons job and we can let Watson go. Hardman is a homerun any time he touches the ball like Tyreek them on the field together is just phenomenal

Watson?

Tribal Warfare
01-29-2020, 02:19 PM

'Murica!

ChiefsCountry
01-29-2020, 02:25 PM
Watson?

Randy Watson
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cWk-jSrBQwY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DJ's left nut
01-29-2020, 02:27 PM
Chiefs have next year, the 5th year option and 2 franchise years.

They have four more years before they have to worry about Mahomes in FA.

Yes, we'd all like that certainty, but Clark's right - gotta be the right time for all parties.
There's plenty of reason why Mahomes' team may not be eager to talk extension just yet. Granted, the moment he signs that extension his bank account will likely see a $60 million+ cash infusion with that signing bonus, but it is what it is. If they're wanting to wait to see what the QB landscape looks like in a year or two, especially if it means that the QB Cap could allow the Chiefs to keep other critical teammates, that's not a bad idea for him.

BossChief
01-29-2020, 02:45 PM
I think this is the last year of a franchise tag, honestly.

DJ's left nut
01-29-2020, 02:48 PM
I think this is the last year of a franchise tag, honestly.

NFLPA is gonna have to give up a LOT for that one.

You think the hundreds of players in the league that aren't at all impacted by the franchise tag are going to agree to an 18 game season to convince the owners to do away with it?

The vast majority of NFLPA members don't give a rip about the tag, why would they be willing to burn their capital to do away with it?

Megatron96
01-29-2020, 02:50 PM
Leigh Steinberg is on Whitlock's show right now talking about Mahomes' upcoming contract negotiations.

BossChief
01-29-2020, 02:53 PM
So Pats cap hit will be pennies the next 2 years and then the cap impact of his new deal will likely be Significantly lessened after that.

The law of averages for this franchise means we are owed a 25 year run of great QB play and amazing luck to win close games in the postseason.

Gonna be fun

BossChief
01-29-2020, 02:55 PM
Leigh Steinberg is on Whitlock's show right now talking about Mahomes' upcoming contract negotiations.

Link?

modocsot
01-29-2020, 02:59 PM
In light of this thread topic, I found this article both interesting, and worrisome: "The Curse of a Salary-Cap-Eating Quarterback" https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/1/2/18164980/nfl-playoffs-quarterbacks-salary-cap-kirk-cousins-patrick-mahomes

Megatron96
01-29-2020, 03:01 PM
Link?

No link. It was on FoxSports. it's over now. Probably catch it now on YT in an hour or so maybe.

One thing Steinberg said was that he's already advised Pat to think of his contract in terms of how to get paid but still allow the team to surround him with talented players so that Pat can have long-term success.

GloryDayz
01-29-2020, 03:03 PM
Well, no matter when it happens, we'll find out what matters most to Mr. Mahomes. I'm not suggesting every elite NFL player can marry a somebody who makes far more than any NFL player, but will he grab the money and leave it at that??

BossChief
01-29-2020, 03:04 PM
NFLPA is gonna have to give up a LOT for that one.

You think the hundreds of players in the league that aren't at all impacted by the franchise tag are going to agree to an 18 game season to convince the owners to do away with it?

The vast majority of NFLPA members don't give a rip about the tag, why would they be willing to burn their capital to do away with it?

The players hate it.

This offseason teams have a franchise tag and a transition tag for the last year of CBA.

DJ's left nut
01-29-2020, 03:06 PM
In light of this thread topic, I found this article both interesting, and worrisome: "The Curse of a Salary-Cap-Eating Quarterback" https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/1/2/18164980/nfl-playoffs-quarterbacks-salary-cap-kirk-cousins-patrick-mahomes

And yet the Packers, Saints, Seahawks, 49ers, Vikings and Patriots all had QBs w/ large cap numbers in the post-season. Even the Eagles w/ Wentz at $18 million weren't spending scraps on the position.

It's not the doomsday scenario it once was, especially if your QB is actually good. The biggest problem the Vikings and Saints faced was that their quarterbacks simply weren't playing to the number.

If you pay a QB like a top 10 guy and he PLAYS like a top 10 guy, you're probably going to be fine. And if you pay a guy like the #1 guy and he plays to it, you're gonna be more than just fine.

DJ's left nut
01-29-2020, 03:08 PM
The players hate it.

This offseason teams have a franchise tag and a transition tag for the last year of CBA.

A very vocal minority of players hate it.

The overwhelming majority of players know it simply doesn't apply to them and they're not going to want to give up anything to do away with it.

Why would Emmanual Ogbah or Demarcus Robinson be willing to play 18 game seasons just so that Chris Jones won't get tagged?

The people that care about the tag simply take up a disproportionate amount of air time. And when it comes time to select your representatives and/or sign off on a CBA, air-time doesn't matter as much as raw numbers. Damien Williams gives zero fucks about Zeke Elliott having to play under the tag and he's not going to sacrifice anything to see that he doesn't have to.

The Franchise
01-29-2020, 03:11 PM
No link. It was on FoxSports. it's over now. Probably catch it now on YT in an hour or so maybe.

One thing Steinberg said was that he's already advised Pat to think of his contract in terms of how to get paid but still allow the team to surround him with talented players so that Pat can have long-term success.

Smart agent. Yeah getting as much money as you can looks great. But it doesn’t look great when you’re trying to win championships and your team is made up of scrubs because you’re taking up 20% of the cap.

Megatron96
01-29-2020, 03:19 PM
Smart agent. Yeah getting as much money as you can looks great. But it doesn’t look great when you’re trying to win championships and your team is made up of scrubs because you’re taking up 20% of the cap.

Pretty much my thoughts as well. Steinberg is showing that he's concerned about Pat's long-term success, not just the dollars Pat can make him on this one probably giant contract.

And of course, these are the kinds of words we want to hear from Pat's agent, because if Mahomes heeds that advice then our Chiefs will be very potent for many years to come.

DJ's left nut
01-29-2020, 03:26 PM
Pretty much my thoughts as well. Steinberg is showing that he's concerned about Pat's long-term success, not just the dollars Pat can make him on this one probably giant contract.

And of course, these are the kinds of words we want to hear from Pat's agent, because if Mahomes heeds that advice then our Chiefs will be very potent for many years to come.

I don't remember who I was listening to - hell, it may have even been Steinberg, but he made an excellent point regarding the lifespan of players in this league.

He essentially pointed out that a premier quarterback has 10+ years of substantial paychecks coming his way. And your earning power, especially over the latter half, will be dictated in part by your success.

Meanwhile the players that are playing with you are, best case, going to have half the lifetime earning cycle you do. Those guys are almost universally washed by 33.

So as a quarterback it's smart to let them get theirs (within reason), especially a little earlier on in your career, because you know they can help you get yours later and frankly, they're only likely to get a single bite at the apple while you're getting 2 or 3. Over a long-enough timeline you're likely to come out money ahead.

DJ's left nut
01-29-2020, 03:30 PM
But I'll also say this - if Mahomes simply wants to come out and ensure that he's setting QB records and says its important for him to be the highest paid player in the league for the next 10 years, I will not begrudge him that stance.

Look - there's not a player in all of professional sports who has a bigger impact on the outcome of any single game, IMO. LeBron at his apex was probably in the ballpark but outside of basketball, it just doesn't happen. If the kid decides "ah, fuck it - I want mine..." that's his prerogative and he's absolutely earned it.

Marco Polo
01-29-2020, 03:42 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-what-super-bowl-2020-starter-patrick-mahomes-could-make-on-potentially-biggest-nfl-contract-ever/

Agent's Take: What Super Bowl 2020 starter Patrick Mahomes could make on potentially biggest NFL contract ever

Mahomes could have 'basketball money' on the horizon when he signs an extension

Chiefs (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/KC/kansas-city-chiefs/) quarterback Patrick Mahomes (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/2142052/patrick-mahomes) will make the biggest start of his career this Sunday in the Super Bowl (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/superbowl/). He took the NFL (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl) by storm as a first-year starter in 2018 after essentially being redshirted while a rookie in 2017, posting one of the most prolific seasons in NFL history for a passer. Mahomes became the only quarterback besides Peyton Manning (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/12531/peyton-manning) to ever throw for at least 50 touchdowns and 5,000 or more yards in the same season. He was named NFL MVP for his efforts.

Mahomes picked up where he left off last season by winning AFC Offensive Player of the Month honors for September. While Mahomes was slowed by a dislocated right kneecap that caused him to miss two games during the middle of the season, he started being overshadowed by Ravens (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/BAL/baltimore-ravens/) quarterback Lamar Jackson (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/2181169/lamar-jackson), who is expected to be named league MVP on Saturday.

Mahomes' postseason performance has been a reminder that he is the gold standard for quarterbacks. He became the first player in postseason history to throw for at least 300 yards, rush for at least 50 yards and throw at least five touchdowns in game when the Chiefs faced the Texans (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/HOU/houston-texans/) in the divisional round. In two playoff games, Mahomes has connected on 46 of 70 passes for 615 yards with eight touchdowns and zero interceptions to post a 131.5 passer rating. He has also carried the ball 15 times for 106 yards and one touchdown.

As a 2017 draft pick, Mahomes became eligible to sign a contract extension when the regular season ended. Mahomes is scheduled to make just over $2.7 million in 2020.

The assumption has been a new Mahomes contract would be a top offseason priority. Chiefs chairman and CEO Clark Hunt tempered those expectations (https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28585153/chiefs-owner-clark-hunt-says-patrick-mahomes-extension-year-away) on Tuesday by indicating that a new deal doesn't necessarily have to happen so quickly.

"There will be a right time sometime in next 12 to 15 months to extend Patrick, and when I say right time it will be right time both for the player and the club," Hunt said, per ESPN.

The Chiefs will surely exercise their fifth-year option for 2021, which must be done before May 3. Mahomes' option year salary is expected to be approximately $25 million.

It's a foregone conclusion that Mahomes will become the NFL's highest paid player on his next contract. The only real questions are how much will he raise the bar, and when will he get paid.

Current NFL salary bests

Any deal Mahomes signs will likely set new standards in most major, if not all, contract metrics. The current financial benchmarks are listed below.

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 411pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=546 border=0><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.5pt" height=19><TH class=header--cell>Metric</TH><TH class=header--cell>Amount</TH><TH class=header--cell>Player</TH></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.5pt" height=19><TD style="HEIGHT: 14.5pt" height=19>Average yearly salary</TD><TD class=xl63>$35 million</TD><TD>Russell Wilson, Seahawks</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.5pt" height=19><TD style="HEIGHT: 14.5pt" height=19>Maximum yearly salary</TD><TD class=xl63>$37 million</TD><TD>Jared Goff, Rams</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.5pt" height=19><TD style="HEIGHT: 14.5pt" height=19>Biggest contract</TD><TD class=xl63>$175.5 million</TD><TD>Aaron Rodgers, Packers</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.5pt" height=19><TD style="HEIGHT: 14.5pt" height=19>Overall contract guarantees</TD><TD class=xl64>$110,042,683 </TD><TD>Goff</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.5pt" height=19><TD style="HEIGHT: 14.5pt" height=19>Fully guaranteed at signing</TD><TD class=xl63>$94.5 million</TD><TD>Matt Ryan, Falcons</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.5pt" height=19><TD style="HEIGHT: 14.5pt" height=19>Fully guaranteed within 12 months</TD><TD class=xl63>$100 million</TD><TD>Ryan</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.5pt" height=19><TD style="HEIGHT: 14.5pt" height=19>Signing bonus</TD><TD class=xl63>$65 million</TD><TD>Wilson</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.5pt" height=19><TD style="HEIGHT: 14.5pt" height=19>Three-year cash flow</TD><TD class=xl63>$107 million</TD><TD>Wilson</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.5pt" height=19><TD style="HEIGHT: 14.5pt" height=19>First three new years</TD><TD class=xl63>$114 million</TD><TD>Wilson</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Rodgers and Ryan were the only two $30 million per year players when last offseason began. The $30 million per year club tripled to six members by the time the regular season started. In addition to Goff, Wentz and Wilson joining the club, the Steelers (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/PIT/pittsburgh-steelers/) gave Ben Roethlisberger (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/493043/ben-roethlisberger) a two-year, $68 million extension last April.

Ryan was the lone player to hit the $100 million guarantee mark prior to last year's extensions. The five-year extension he signed in 2018 had $100 million in overall guarantees. Wilson first topped Ryan with $107 million. Wentz bettered Wilson at $107,870,683 before Goff beat them all.

Professionals within the industry (agents and team negotiators) typically value deals by new money, which is the amount of compensation in a contract excluding what a player was scheduled to make before receiving a new deal. For example, Rodgers had two years remaining on his existing contract with $20.4 million and $21.1 million salaries for 2018 and 2019 prior to his signing. Although Rodgers signed a six-year contract for $175.5 million, his deal is considered as a four-year, $134 million extension averaging $33.5 million per year among industry professionals. His two existing contract years for $41.5 million are subtracted from the $175.5 million six-year total to arrive at this number.

Incentives and salary escalators for outstanding individual performance were included in most of these contracts so that there would be an opportunity to increase the value of the deals. Rodgers has $4 million in salary escalators and incentives to make the extension worth as much as $138 million. Wentz's contract with the Eagles (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/PHI/philadelphia-eagles/) is worth up to $144 million through salary escalators. The maximum value of Wilson's deal is $146 million because of salary escalators. Goff can make as much as $148 million under his extension thanks to his incentives and salary escalators. These performance bonuses aren't considered as part of the base value of the deals.

Compensation in the first three new years is the amount of money in a contract exclusive of what a player was scheduled to make before receiving a new deal, just like with new money when determining average yearly salary. The cash flow analysis looks at the compensation in its totality. The focus is on the amount of money received in the first three years of a contract regardless of whether it's considered as new money. Both metrics have the same dollar amount when a player signs a new contract as a free agent or when his contract is set to expire.

Overall contract guarantees can be misleading. A complete picture of a contract's true security isn't necessarily given by this metric. The amount of money fully guaranteed at signing and will become fully guaranteed early in the contract are the best and most accurate measures of security.

Why 'basketball money' means for Mahomes

Top NBA (https://www.cbssports.com/nba) player money differs from top NFL player money in several respects. Fully guaranteed contracts are the norm in the NBA. Salary maximums put a ceiling on how much an individual player can make, with the amount dependent on his years of service. For players with less than seven years of service, the limit is 25 percent of the salary cap. It's 30 percent of the cap with players that have seven to nine years of service. Players with 10 or more years of service can get up to 35 percent of the cap. By meeting certain performance standards, a player can be eligible for a maximum at the next tier.

The NBA salary cap isn't a hard cap like in the NFL. There are several exceptions that allow a team to exceed to the cap. New contracts and extensions can't be more than five years in length. Rules for extensions are more complex. Generally, the earliest an extension can occur is with two years remaining on a contract. Under no circumstances can a player be under contract for more than six years.

Warriors guard Steph Curry became the NBA's first $40 million per year player and got the league's first $200 million contract in 2017 when he signed a five-year deal averaging just over $40.25 million. Guards James Harden, John Wall and Russell Westbrook followed Curry's lead in 2017 by signing extensions averaging in the $41 million neighborhood with the Rockets, Wizards and Thunder respectively. Last summer, Trail Blazers guard Damian Lillard signed a four-year extension kicking in after the 2020-21 season averaging $49 million per year. He is currently the NBA's highest-paid player by average salary. Reigning NBA MVP Giannis Antetokounmpo will be eligible to sign a five-year extension with the Bucks making him the NBA's first $50 million per year player in July. A five-year maximum extension would be worth a fully guaranteed $253.75 million.

Mahomes' counterparts in the 2017 NBA Draft will be eligible to sign extensions in July. Extensions can be for a maximum of four years unless selected as one of the two players each team can designate on rookie contracts to get new five years. The designated rookies can also receive up to 30 percent of the cap instead of 25 percent depending on All-NBA selections, being named NBA MVP or NBA Defensive Player of the Year before the extension takes effect. Jazz guard Donovan Mitchell and Celtics forward Jayson Tatum are the best bets in the 2017 draft class to be designated.

A designated rookie extension would worth $181.25 million for five years, which averages $36.25 million per year. All-NBA honors either this season or next season would make an extension worth up to nearly $217.5 million over five years for a $43.25 million average when it would kick in, starting with the 2021-22 season.

Suggestion

Both sides should have incentive to do a deal this offseason. The injury scare Mahomes received from a knee injury, which could have been a lot worse than a dislocated kneecap, could make him (or at least his representatives) more interested in achieving lifetime financial security sooner rather than later. Mahomes is represented by the legendary Leigh Steinberg and his partner Chris Cabott.

It's usually more costly the longer a team waits to sign a Pro Bowl caliber player. A new NFL collective bargaining agreement (CBA) is likely going to be more player friendly than the current one, especially if the regular season increases to 17 games. Once a new CBA is in place, owners are expected turn their attention to new broadcast rights and media deals. Network executives are reportedly anticipating an increase at least in the 25 to 30 percent range for these deals to give the NFL $8 billion to $10 billion annually. Mahomes' expectations for a new contract could dramatically change once those deals are in place, since they will likely be the impetus for a substantial increase in the salary cap in the coming years.

It may make sense for Mahomes' camp to look at the franchise tag dynamic as a guide for a long-term deal. There haven't been fundamental changes to how the exclusive franchise tag works in quite some time. It's highly unlikely that a new CBA is going to overhaul the franchise tag system.

There would have to be some sort of major breakdown in negotiations for Mahomes to be in a position to be franchised in 2022. Nonetheless, the 2022 quarterback exclusive franchise number, which would be the average of the top five 2022 quarterback salaries (usually salary cap numbers) at the end of that year's restricted free agent signing period, currently projects to $35.61 million. This number is subject to change depending on new quarterback deals, contract restructures, pay cuts and/or releases over the next two years. A second franchise tag in 2023 at a 20 percent increase over Mahomes' projected 2022 franchise number would be $42.732 million. A third franchise tag in 2024 with a 44 percent increase over the 2023 figure would be exorbitant but not out of the question for someone with the potential to be an all-time great. It would be slightly over $61.5 million.
Putting the franchise tag analysis into the equation would give Mahomes justification to target an extension averaging in excess of $45 million per year with well over $100 million fully guaranteed at signing, where there would be more than $150 million in overall guarantees. Mahomes could make in excess of $140 million with three franchise tags after playing out the final two years of his rookie contract for approximately $28 million.

The Chiefs will likely insist on a lengthy extension as a concession from Mahomes in a groundbreaking contract. The longest lucrative quarterback deal under the current CBA was the seven-year deal averaging $18.1 million per year Jay Cutler (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/409102/jay-cutler) received from the Bears (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/CHI/chicago-bears/) days after the 2013 regular season ended.

Final thoughts

There isn't a realistic circumstance where Mahomes is going to approach Lillard's $49 million extension average or the $196 million fully guaranteed in the extension. Since Lillard had two years remaining when he signed his extension, he is under contract for six years, with nearly $257.5 million fully guaranteed.

Mahomes should easily surpass the baseline of $36.25 million per year Mitchell or Tatum could get over the summer, but his overall guarantees should fall well short the $181.25 million they would have in security.
Whether Mahomes can get the base value of an extension to Mitchell or Tatum's elevated $43.25 million average per year remains to be seen. Mahomes shouldn't be interested in any extension that doesn't hit the $40 million per year mark before factoring in the incentives and salary escalators that have become commonplace in the most lucrative quarterback deals. The performance bonuses should at least push what Mahomes can earn in any extension to Mitchell/Tatum's maximum contract average.

There's been plenty of speculation that Mahomes will get the first $200 million contract in NFL history. It would be a nice distinction that shouldn't come at the expense of giving up additional years. Goff, Rodgers, Wentz and Wilson signed four-year extensions. Anything longer than this should be a deal breaker for Mahomes. A four-year extension running through the 2025 season, which would put Mahomes under contract for six total years (including the fifth-year option) would be worth approximately $188 million. That could be fine because Mahomes would be in a position for a new deal as a 28-year-old after the 2024 season when heading into his contract year. To reach the $200 million mark on a four-year extension, Mahomes would need to essentially average $43 million per year in new money.

Mahomes is in an almost no-lose situation with the Super Bowl from a contractual standpoint. A terrible performance last year in Super Bowl LIII after a late season slump didn't prevent Jared Goff (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/2061053/jared-goff) from tying Rodgers as the third highest-paid player in the league with the most overall guarantees in a contract. A poor Super Bowl by Mahomes shouldn't affect his ability to become the NFL's first $40 million per year player, while a Chiefs victory with an MVP-caliber performance will increase his contract leverage.

Megatron96
01-29-2020, 03:43 PM
But I'll also say this - if Mahomes simply wants to come out and ensure that he's setting QB records and says its important for him to be the highest paid player in the league for the next 10 years, I will not begrudge him that stance.

Look - there's not a player in all of professional sports who has a bigger impact on the outcome of any single game, IMO. LeBron at his apex was probably in the ballpark but outside of basketball, it just doesn't happen. If the kid decides "ah, **** it - I want mine..." that's his prerogative and he's absolutely earned it.

I certainly don't begrudge Pat anything. In fact, I think he's actually worth a lot more than any team could realistically pay him.

Back in the day, I used to say that if Montana were in his prime today, he'd be worth 45-55 million/year easy.

Pat is worth more than Joe. If we go by performance, Pat is worth probably north of 60 million/year. He's just that much better than every other QB in the league. Better than any QB we've ever seen. By miles.

Of course, no one can pay that kind of money, so we're here talking about a measly 40-45 million/year.

But it's a stone cold fact that if the size of his paycheck hinders the organization's ability to surround him with quality players on both sides of the ball he will reach a breaking point where all of his heroics just won't be enough sometimes.

Though i believe this is all moot; I think Pat wants to be the best QB to ever play, and he knows full well what that will take. And part of that formula is having a great team around him to support him. He's not gonna gouge the team just to line his pockets.

Discuss Thrower
01-30-2020, 12:17 PM

Instead of that, maybe the solution is to not count the salary of the 10 to 20 guys who agreed to contract extensions or signed as free agents toward the cap?

BigRedChief
01-30-2020, 01:05 PM
Steinberg was on Whitlock not saying a damn thing about contract discussions but did say in general, you can’t get your true worth because you have to balance the teams performance. Too much to any one player and you don’t get back to the Super Bowl.

The vibe I got was both sides are kind of waiting to see what the new CBA details are.

I’ve said they should give him a % of the salary cap. As he matures, the cap goes up, so does his salary. Give him a great signing bonus. Done.

chiefzilla1501
01-30-2020, 01:35 PM
Leigh steinberg has said that mahomes was advised to keep endorsements down his first 2 seasons.

Mahomes is going to be the NFLs Steph curry. Hard to remember the last nfl player other than maybe Peyton to ever be on this level of marketable. He's going to get an enormous amount of money this offseason no matter what. Would not be surprised if he lands a mega mega endorsement deal this offseason.

DRM08
01-30-2020, 01:44 PM
I certainly don't begrudge Pat anything. In fact, I think he's actually worth a lot more than any team could realistically pay him.

Back in the day, I used to say that if Montana were in his prime today, he'd be worth 45-55 million/year easy.

Pat is worth more than Joe. If we go by performance, Pat is worth probably north of 60 million/year. He's just that much better than every other QB in the league. Better than any QB we've ever seen. By miles.

Of course, no one can pay that kind of money, so we're here talking about a measly 40-45 million/year.

But it's a stone cold fact that if the size of his paycheck hinders the organization's ability to surround him with quality players on both sides of the ball he will reach a breaking point where all of his heroics just won't be enough sometimes.

Though i believe this is all moot; I think Pat wants to be the best QB to ever play, and he knows full well what that will take. And part of that formula is having a great team around him to support him. He's not gonna gouge the team just to line his pockets.

I think Russell Wilson has similar value. It is amazing that he drags them into being a competitive team. The roster around him is not good. What’s crazy is they played hardball with him at $35M per year. I think that is a massive bargain for Seattle considering how bad the rest of the team is (Carroll’s fault).

Pitt Gorilla
01-30-2020, 02:43 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/fBWxEYkGiDPTW/giphy.gif

Wallcrawler
01-30-2020, 02:50 PM
Don't get cute, Carl. Pay the man.

boilertiger
01-30-2020, 03:09 PM
Just pay the man in crypto so the NFL can't trace it.

Everyone knows Kraft was sending money to an offshore account for Brady to stay under the cap.

Discuss Thrower
01-30-2020, 03:15 PM
Just pay the man in crypto so the NFL can't trace it.

Everyone knows Kraft was sending money to an offshore account for Brady to stay under the cap.

Nah, Clark retains Britt's services as a personal trainer for his wife and daughter to the tune of $30MM a year.

saphojunkie
01-30-2020, 05:35 PM
The amount of money Pat can make as a multiple SB winner dwarfs a record breaking contract that keeps his team weak.

DRM08
01-30-2020, 05:48 PM
The amount of money Pat can make as a multiple SB winner dwarfs a record breaking contract that keeps his team weak.

I would only do a discount if there was language in the contract that forces them to commit serious resources to the offensive line, both salary cap and draft picks.

R Clark
01-30-2020, 05:56 PM
I would only do a discount if there was language in the contract that forces them to commit serious resources to the offensive line, both salary cap and draft picks.

That’s all good till you ignore the defense, they win championships

DRM08
01-30-2020, 05:59 PM
That’s all good till you ignore the defense, they win championships

Last season is evidence that just because you have a super cheap QB, it doesn’t guarantee a strong defense.