PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Why didn't they keep running the ball???

petegz28
02-03-2020, 08:17 PM
I heard that all fucking season. From Baldinger to a ton of talking heads. "Why did they stop running the ball?"

The first Raiders game
Both Chargers games
The Titans playoff game
The Super Bowl

So are all of these coaches just fucking idiots or is it maybe our defense forced some kind of changes during the game?

Or perhaps the mere fear of Mahomes scared teams into passing?

Mostert had all of what, 48 yards? The only big runs the 49rs had was on 3 or 4 WR sweeps or end arounds. That won't hold up all game and can cost you if it get stopped.

They couldn't run the ball more traditionally for shit.

I get a little tired of hearing how we won because the other coach got stupid. If we made him get stupid for whatever reason then it's a credit to our team.

lewdog
02-03-2020, 08:18 PM
Won't sniff the running game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

petegz28
Won't sniff the running game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sniff my Nikes, bitch! :D

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
They had 107 yards going into the fourth quarter. Honey Badger even said thank god they stopped running the ball

Deberg_1990
02-03-2020, 08:20 PM
I think teams panic and fear they won’t be able to keep up with the Chiefs offense. The Chiefs offense forces the opponent out of their game.

tredadda
02-03-2020, 08:24 PM
I heard that all ****ing season. From Baldinger to a ton of talking heads. "Why did they stop running the ball?"

The first Raiders game
Both Chargers games
The Titans playoff game
The Super Bowl

So are all of these coaches just ****ing idiots or is it maybe our defense forced some kind of changes during the game?

Mostert had all of what, 48 yards? The only big runs the 49rs had was on 3 or 4 WR sweeps or end arounds. That won't hold up all game and can cost you if it get stopped.

I get a little tired of hearing how we won because the other coach got stupid. If we made him get stupid for whatever reason then it's a credit to our team.

I said it before and I will say it again. This team changes opponent game plans.

WilliamTheIrish
02-03-2020, 08:25 PM
Once the Chiefs closed to 17-20, that sniveling little shit got all puckered and decided (chuckle) to put it in Jimmy Gamanager's hands.

He could feel it slipping out of his little crab claws.

Flying High D
02-03-2020, 08:27 PM
I think teams panic and fear they won’t be able to keep up with the Chiefs offense. The Chiefs offense forces the opponent out of their game.

You’ve really stepped up your game. Everytime I read one of your posts I learn something new.

displacedinMN
02-03-2020, 08:27 PM

THE MAHOMES EFFECT

Red Dawg
02-03-2020, 08:30 PM
Afraid to. So was Tennessee.

Pitt Gorilla
Shanny didn’t use his TO before the half out of fear of Mahomes. Pat changes the calculus for everyone.

Basileus777
Because they needed to move the ball and/or score, not just take a little time off the clock. And most of their points in this game came off the passing game, especially in the 3rd quarter.

And they called short passing plays that were all pretty much wide open, Chris Jones just had 2 deflections and Jimmy G missed open guys.

keg in kc
02-03-2020, 08:31 PM
Because they had some plays dialed up that they (correctly, as it turns out) thought we were vulnerable to. They were good calls that were executed poorly, because Jimmy G is a JAG. Although we did blow up a couple of them.

I don't think they'd have won the game running the ball, either, not once Pat hit Reek on 3rd and 15. That play fired the Chiefs up on both sides of the ball, and I think it sent an "oh shit, here they come" sens down the SF sideline and the game was basically over after Kelce scored. I think the defense would have stopped them whatever they tried at that point.

It's just easier to hate on the playcalls...

Flying High D
02-03-2020, 08:34 PM
Maybe daddy rat saw something in the practice tapes. Baby rat said daddy watches and critiques all practice tapes.

Megatron96
02-03-2020, 08:34 PM
Because they had to score. And they had had great success earlier in the game with their P/A pass game. And our defense had made some critical stops on their run game at times earlier in the game, especially anything up the middle. It was a good call, IMO, but Chris Jones wrecked their execution twice, IIRC.

wachashi
02-03-2020, 08:38 PM
Had Kyle Shanahan called 3 runs in a row when they were protecting a lead and had they gotten stuffed, people would be saying "Wow, he totally choked by not being aggressive enough." Dumb narrative either way.

smithandrew051
02-03-2020, 08:38 PM
Because they had some plays dialed up that they (correctly, as it turns out) thought we were vulnerable to. They were good calls that were executed poorly, because Jimmy G is a JAG. Although we did blow up a couple of them.

I don't think they'd have won the game running the ball, either, not once Pat hit Reek on 3rd and 15. That play fired the Chiefs up on both sides of the ball, and I think it sent an "oh shit, here they come" sens down the SF sideline and the game was basically over after Kelce scored. I think the defense would have stopped them whatever they tried at that point.

It's just easier to hate on the playcalls...

Agree with all of this.

It demonstrates perfectly exactly what we already knew. You have to have a top QB to compete with the teams that have one. Elite QBs can make chicken salad out of chicken shit. JAG QBs don’t typically make the plays when you need them.

BWillie
02-03-2020, 08:56 PM
3rd and 10 and 3rd and 14? And you think they should run it so they can give it back to the best offense in the history of football? 20 pts isn't enough.

TripleThreat
02-03-2020, 09:00 PM
Our defense was literally stomping their running attack forcing jimmy to throw, and jimmy couldn’t deliver. The best “runs” they had came from deebo doing sweeps

petegz28
02-03-2020, 09:00 PM
Our defense was literally stomping their running attack forcing jimmy to throw, and jimmy couldn’t deliver. The best “runs” they had came from deebo doing sweeps

^

LiveSteam
02-03-2020, 09:03 PM
9ers didnt have the great push up front. I think a lot of America expected. They had to dig deep into the old playbook with misdirection just to set up a few edge runs.
KCs D line really did step up after the bi week and through the playoffs..

LiveSteam
02-03-2020, 09:07 PM
And im as excited for year two under Spagzzzzzz as I was this year for year two with Pat under center.

If Eric says fuck it. Im staying in KC for the foreseeable future. I mean man. The sky is the limit. The dreams are no longer dreams. They are achievable.

Why Not?
02-03-2020, 09:12 PM
Just like how teams kept making errors against the Royals in ‘15. We kept the pressure coming and teams and coaches got tight.

cosmo20002
02-03-2020, 09:13 PM
I heard that all ****ing season. From Baldinger to a ton of talking heads. "Why did they stop running the ball?"

The first Raiders game
Both Chargers games
The Titans playoff game
The Super Bowl

So are all of these coaches just ****ing idiots or is it maybe our defense forced some kind of changes during the game?

https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=325889

cdcox
02-03-2020, 09:14 PM
This in a nice article that answers the OP, along with some other nice analysis. Barnwell makes a pretty convincing case that the 49ers only had about 2 unsuccessful passing plays down the stretch where a run would have been a viable option. So the narrative of Son-of-rat giving up on the run doesn't hold a lot of water.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28624233/barnwell-super-bowl-liv-andy-reid-masterpiece-how-chiefs-came-back-49ers-blew-it

Beef Supreme
02-03-2020, 09:27 PM
If it wasn't for the lost yards on kneel downs to close out the game, the Chiefs would have had more rushing yards than the unstoppable 49ers rushing attack.