PDA

View Full Version : Life This sucks

Sorce
02-04-2020, 10:13 PM
Just after the Superbowl we have to take our dog to the vet to learn she probably has cancer. She is 11, so she's had a long life, but it doesn't make it any easier. We will find out for sure tomorrow...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Pointer19
02-04-2020, 10:16 PM
Sorry, Sorce. I've heard people say losing a dog is harder than a human relative. Gotta keep in mind that you gave her a great life. I'll say a prayer and be hoping for the best!

Buehler445
02-04-2020, 10:17 PM
Sucks man. My dog is 10 and slowing down hard.

Dogs are good people man.

Sorce
02-04-2020, 10:22 PM
Labs are supposed to live 10 - 14 years. My 2 year old just started to bond with her. I think that makes it tougher. I thought we had more time...

PurpleRiders51
02-04-2020, 10:28 PM
Just after the Superbowl we have to take our dog to the vet to learn she probably has cancer. She is 11, so she's had a long life, but it doesn't make it any easier. We will find out for sure tomorrow...

I'm truly sorry and hope for the best of news for your dog. My wife & eye are dog lovers, it is really hard when something like this happens. If you need to talk feel free to PM me anytime brother.

Shiver Me Timbers
02-04-2020, 10:53 PM
Sorry to hear that. Been there this past year
Love her up and give her the treats usually off limits
Take her to Dairy Queen and let her live it up.

IowaHawkeyeChief
02-04-2020, 10:56 PM
So sorry. It's so hard to lose part of the family. Remember all the joy they brought and when the time is right, I hope you get another, as they make a family happier, despite the pain when you lose them.

Oxford
02-04-2020, 11:16 PM

Oh I know how that hurts, Just love her as long as you can, when she can't be a dog anymore, it will be time.

A small story... a puppy raising family for Leader Dogs for the Blind took back their puppy to start training, they knew she was going to change someones life just as they had all hoped and planned. Well the day came when the puppy wouldn't make it as a guide, then the depression started, what had they done wrong? As they talked about their disappointment with the trainer, they said they would never raise again, they couldn't stand the grief. The trainer asked why, the puppy had changed someones life........ THIERS.

TwistedChief
02-05-2020, 03:43 AM
Ugh. Sorry, buddy. Hope it all works out but sending good vibes your way.

Reerun_KC
02-05-2020, 04:26 AM
Sucks man. My dog is 10 and slowing down hard.

Dogs are good people man.

Damn. Didn’t realize CD is that old. Time flies buddy. I still remember the day my son and your wife went and got him.

He’s a good boy. Been a good buddy to you and your family.

BigRedChief
02-05-2020, 06:04 AM

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TapatalkSorry man. Our dogs are like family to us.

RedRaider56
02-05-2020, 06:15 AM
Sorry to hear. Like others have mentioned, our dogs were family to us.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-05-2020, 06:39 AM
I'm sorry to hear that, but I hope there is still some chance it's not malignancy. We lost both of our dogs over a 12 month span beginning of the summer of '17. They were the first dogs we had as a couple, and had them for several years before having kids, so we bonded with them deeply.

They're never around long enough.

If, in fact, you do have to put your friend down, I would encourage you to buy or make something to remember them by. The vet school gave us baked clay imprints of their paws, and I put those, along with personalized urns for their ashes and a holder for their leashes on a floating shelf, with their pictures and a quote about dogs above.

Buehler445
02-05-2020, 09:46 AM
Damn. Didn’t realize CD is that old. Time flies buddy. I still remember the day my son and your wife went and got him.

He’s a good boy. Been a good buddy to you and your family.

He definitely has. It’s going to suck when it’s time.

tatorhog
02-05-2020, 10:12 AM
If, in fact, you do have to put your friend down, I would encourage you to buy or make something to remember them by. The vet school gave us baked clay imprints of their paws, and I put those, along with personalized urns for their ashes and a holder for their leashes on a floating shelf, with their pictures and a quote about dogs above.

A friend of mine had a couple awesome German Shepherds that he had forever. Before he had to put them down, he had someone (decently skilled photographer) take face shots that he then went and had gallery wrapped canvas prints made from. Think he used groupon for that and was only like $15 per wrap. I was surprised at how well they turned out. The photographer able to capture expressions on their faces that really reflected how they were. It was a cool thing. I thought it was a little nutty when he did it, but after seeing them, it was definitely worth the effort.

scho63
02-05-2020, 11:24 AM
Sorry for your loss but always have the memory that your beloved pet got to share a Super Bowl victory with you!

Sorce
02-05-2020, 03:10 PM
She has a tumor and swollen lymph nodes. They think they are linked. So now we have to make a decision to do more tests and surgery or put her down. My head tells me one thing but my heart tells me another. My wife and I got her just after we were married and she was our baby until we had our daughter. The tests and surgery are thousands of dollars and may only prolong her life a few months. This is really rough.

kczoo
02-05-2020, 03:35 PM
Sorry my friend RIP 🐕....They are a part of us! Loved!!!

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-05-2020, 04:22 PM
She has a tumor and swollen lymph nodes. They think they are linked. So now we have to make a decision to do more tests and surgery or put her down. My head tells me one thing but my heart tells me another. My wife and I got her just after we were married and she was our baby until we had our daughter. The tests and surgery are thousands of dollars and may only prolong her life a few months. This is really rough.

You will make the right decision for your pup, whether you decide to pursue treatment or not, as I'm sure you know her best and love her most. Swollen lymph nodes and a primary tumor does sound quite a bit like lymphoma.

When our girl was diagnosed with a hemangiosarcoma of the heart, we opted to have her put down, as she had a large clot in a heart chamber and we didn't want her to suffer a stroke and/or become incapacitated. Our daughters, my wife and I were all with her in her last moments, then my mom took the girls into another room while the vet administered some propofol to put her to sleep and pentobarbital to stop her heart. We kept petting her the entire time, and eventually she drifted away. It was a dignified and peaceful end to her time with us.

BIG_DADDY
02-05-2020, 04:32 PM
Always hate putting down dogs. I have an English Bully coming up soon. I know the feeling.

Randallflagg
02-05-2020, 04:32 PM

Geez.....best of luck to you. We recently had to put down our 13 year old female Dachshund. One of the hardest days of my life. I would have rather went back to Viet Nam than do that. I cried like a baby all day.

Sorce
02-07-2020, 07:06 PM
We put her down today. RIP Leila. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200208/31c33ebec615ef7e99bbcfc20f6904f3.jpg

Buehler445
02-07-2020, 11:40 PM
Sorry man. That's tough. Good looking dog.

Sorce
02-08-2020, 03:26 PM
You will make the right decision for your pup, whether you decide to pursue treatment or not, as I'm sure you know her best and love her most. Swollen lymph nodes and a primary tumor does sound quite a bit like lymphoma.

When our girl was diagnosed with a hemangiosarcoma of the heart, we opted to have her put down, as she had a large clot in a heart chamber and we didn't want her to suffer a stroke and/or become incapacitated. Our daughters, my wife and I were all with her in her last moments, then my mom took the girls into another room while the vet administered some propofol to put her to sleep and pentobarbital to stop her heart. We kept petting her the entire time, and eventually she drifted away. It was a dignified and peaceful end to her time with us.Thank you for your words and experiences. The 2nd opinion told us he couldn't even remove the tumor because of where it was and how it would effect her. Her lymph nodes everywhere were swollen which meant it had already spread. She had a few days. Basically means our vet was just taking advantage of our emotions to get money or he was incompetent.

Shiver Me Timbers
02-08-2020, 04:37 PM
Sorry to hear that
All Dogs Go to Heaven so I am told.
Thoughts and prayers to you and the family
Lost our pup this past year. It's weird, I swear he is still "around".

Naptown Chief
02-08-2020, 05:22 PM
We put her down today. RIP Leila. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200208/31c33ebec615ef7e99bbcfc20f6904f3.jpg

I'm sorry man. She was a pretty girl and I'm sure left you, your wife, and your daughter with many good memories. It never gets easier but, as cliche as it may sound, at least she won't suffer. Love sent.