PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Pay Mahomes now for less or wait for a couple of yrs?

JakeF
02-12-2020, 03:18 AM
Pay Mahomes now for ultimately less money

or

Wait a year or two for an increased chance to win more super bowls immediately

If we don't pay Mahomes immediately we can keep Chris Jones and pretty much anyone else. In 3 years, the salary cap will be higher and let us handle Jones in his 3rd yr and Mahomes in his 1st yr of their new contracts.

The risk and reward are huge; maybe win 2 more super bowls vs maybe piss Mahomes off

JD10367
02-12-2020, 03:25 AM
The sooner you pay him, the happier AND cheaper he’ll be.

JakeF
02-12-2020, 03:29 AM
The sooner you pay him, the happier AND cheaper he’ll be.
yea, but winning a super bowl next year will be much harder.

We have so much talent in their prime, what is your priority?

Why Not?
02-12-2020, 04:34 AM
Pay him. Then figure the rest out. If, and I don’t think there’s anyway this happens, but if you piss him off and he were to walk in a couple years, it would go down as the biggest fuck up in the history of sports.

loochy
02-12-2020, 05:46 AM

The priority is locking up the best player in football to be on our team for the next 20 years. He's cheapest TODAY....and odds are a new CBA will bail us out to some degree.

But I'll say this - Veach knows what he's doing. They'll do the best thing and Pat won't get away an he WILL be the highest paid player ever. Those things are certain. Don't worry.

DRM08
02-12-2020, 07:39 AM
You might not have a choice. He has enough leverage to hold out. Do I think he would want to do that? Heck no. But his agent might force him to do it because of the injury risk.

notorious
02-12-2020, 07:46 AM
Where is the “Pay him now to save money and get players in the future” option?

BigRedChief
02-12-2020, 08:46 AM
Shitty poll. Way more options than those two.

Buehler445
02-12-2020, 08:48 AM
It’s all about good faith. Operate in good faith he will too

Ubeja Vontell
02-12-2020, 09:25 AM
Make damn sure (in a nice way) he gets that he is worth big $$$$ but if he plans on winning another SB it would help if he could get by with something more team friendly. If he seems agitated or put off by that kind of talk then pay the man, worry later.

oldman
02-12-2020, 09:35 AM
It’s all about good faith. Operate in good faith he will too

This. While I think it's absurd to pay any QB roughly 20% of the team's cap money, it's a fact of life, especially for PMII. I don't think he's the kind of guy that's so short-sighted he'd hamstring the team to the point of losing any chance to play in multiple SBs and not cementing his legacy as the GOAT. Plus, he's publicly stated he wants to play here forever, he loves the town.

ShowtimeSBMVP
02-12-2020, 09:38 AM
Just add years to his current deal. Huge signing bonus spread out and keep his cap number low next two years.

BossChief
02-12-2020, 09:53 AM
Just add years to his current deal. Huge signing bonus spread out and keep his cap number low next two years.

That’s what always happens. That why it’s a contract extension not a new deal. They will wait till the new CBA is done, though. The new deal will have specific language for QB contracts. Pat, Andy, Brett and Clark all know this.

The Franchise
02-12-2020, 09:54 AM

He’s not getting a brand new deal. He’s getting an extension. So you’re adding years onto his current deal. He won’t have a $40 million dollar cap hit this year.

2bikemike
02-12-2020, 11:31 AM
Mahomes is worth everything he could get. However I would like to see him sign a cap friendly deal allow us to spend freely to keep the team loaded with talent. Mahomes has the personality, looks and intelligence to clean up in the endorsement world.

jjchieffan
02-12-2020, 11:48 AM
It's a tough spot because of the CBS. In normal circumstances, I would say absolutely, get it done ASAP. But since they're discussing a possibility of a separate cap for quarterbacks on the new CBA, the best thing for both parties is to wait a few months. Hopefully the CBA gets worked out this spring and they do it then

BossChief
02-12-2020, 01:22 PM
He’s not getting a brand new deal. He’s getting an extension. So you’re adding years onto his current deal. He won’t have a $40 million dollar cap hit this year.

His cap hit in 2020 would go up by whatever the prorated portion of the signing bonus would be unless Brett structures it with roster bonuses for each year.

Honestly though, it’s in everyone’s best interests to wait till the new CBA is done before inking a new deal. They will be able to pay him more and it will count for less against the cap.

Either that or let him start PM15 and funnel a portion of his payout to the company to reduce the cap impact.

The Franchise
02-12-2020, 01:29 PM
His cap hit in 2020 would go up by whatever the prorated portion of the signing bonus would be unless Brett structures it with roster bonuses for each year.

Honestly though, it’s in everyone’s best interests to wait till the new CBA is done before inking a new deal. They will be able to pay him more and it will count for less against the cap.

Either that or let him start PM15 and funnel a portion of his payout to the company to reduce the cap impact.

Except Pat has nothing guaranteed for injury right now.