PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports World Axe throwing league on ESPN

Deberg_1990
02-15-2020, 03:53 PM
So anyone into this?

I thought it was just a bar game.

Have you partaken in any ax throwing events before?

Discuss....

wazu
02-15-2020, 04:01 PM
My work team did an outing to Blade and Timber in Overland Park. It was a good time and perfect for that sort of thing. Warning though: After 3 beers they won’t let you throw axes anymore.

Edit: Actually it’s after you order your 4th.

stumppy
Event? Well, if you call having an ex spit on and axe and throw it at me as I was leaving her house, then yea, I've partaken in an axe throwing event.

Megatron96
So anyone into this?

I thought it was just a bar game.

Have you partaken in any ax throwing events before?

Discuss....

I've done it a few times for fun. No contests. Except against friends.

The place I like has throwing knives, steel playing cards, and an entrenching tool.

I can really throw that ET. Thinking about buying one as a back-up home defense weapon.

I just saw an axe-throwing tournament on ESPN a week or two ago. Those guys are good. Not sure the concept will ever be profitable, and I doubt most casual viewers will ever get hooked, though.

Deberg_1990
02-15-2020, 04:03 PM
: After 3 beers they won’t let you throw axes anymore.

and thank god for that!

Megatron96
02-15-2020, 04:05 PM
My work team did an outing to Blade and Timber in Overland Park. It was a good time and perfect for that sort of thing. Warning though: After 3 beers they won’t let you throw axes anymore.

Edit: Actually it’s after you order your 4th.

Wow. At the place I went to in INdy, they let me drink 5-6 beers and still let me throw everything . . .

SuperBowl4
02-15-2020, 04:07 PM
These throwers have a axe to grind!

F150
02-15-2020, 04:28 PM
Ive tried, there is serious technique involved

Megatron96
02-15-2020, 04:34 PM
I forgot to mention that the guys on TV are all throwing one-handed. That’s a lot harder. Throwing two handed is pretty easy. I don’t know if the tournament rules stipulate whether you have to throw one handed or not.

wazu
02-15-2020, 04:38 PM
Event? Well, if you call having an ex spit on and axe and throw it at me as I was leaving her house, then yea, I've partaken in an axe throwing event.

I see you live in Springfield but this story sounds more like Arkansas.

Easy 6
02-15-2020, 04:46 PM
Yep this is what it’s come to, the offseason is a looong and cruel mistress... the draft can’t get here SOON ENOUGH

Tried the XFL last week and it wasn’t COMPLETE trash, but having just come off the Super Bowl it’s almost impossible for me to work up a damn about it

I’m ready to go fishing...

Frazod
02-15-2020, 05:04 PM
Yep this is what it’s come to, the offseason is a looong and cruel mistress... the draft can’t get here SOON ENOUGH

Tried the XFL last week and it wasn’t COMPLETE trash, but having just come off the Super Bowl it’s almost impossible for me to work up a damn about it

I’m ready to go fishing...

If you squint from across the room, the Washington team sort of looks like the Chiefs.

At least until they start playing. :D

SithCeNtZ
02-15-2020, 05:49 PM
I forgot to mention that the guys on TV are all throwing one-handed. That’s a lot harder. Throwing two handed is pretty easy. I don’t know if the tournament rules stipulate whether you have to throw one handed or not.

I went to a work event this year and I thought it was easier to throw one handed. Honestly by the end most of the people, even the most uncoordinated, hit the bullseye a time or two. To me, it seemed like something any person who is used to throwing a baseball or football would be naturally decent at it, and the only reason these guys are in TV and you aren't is that the vast majority of people wouldn't find throwing axes over and over for hours a day fun.

Deberg_1990
02-15-2020, 05:51 PM
I freely admit to watching and enjoying the Cornhole competitions on ESPN when i see them on.

Megatron96
02-15-2020, 05:57 PM
I went to a work event this year and I thought it was easier to throw one handed. Honestly by the end most of the people, even the most uncoordinated, hit the bullseye a time or two. To me, it seemed like something any person who is used to throwing a baseball or football would be naturally decent at it, and the only reason these guys are in TV and you aren't is that the vast majority of people wouldn't find throwing axes over and over for hours a day fun.

Maybe. Most of the people I've seen, can't get the thing to stick throwing one-handed. But throwing two-handed I not only can get it stick every time, but hit the bull every time as well. one-handed i can get it stick about 70-75% of the time, but hitting the bull anywhere near the middle is a coin flip.

The entrenching tool, on the other hand, is a one-handed projectile, and I can stick the bull about 90% of the time with that thing.

MatriculatingHank
02-15-2020, 06:05 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/i-dnGSfmA9Y" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Megatron96
02-15-2020, 06:11 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/i-dnGSfmA9Y" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah, basically everything mechanically about that throw is wrong.

But it's funny.

cosmo20002
02-15-2020, 06:36 PM
I did this a few weeks ago. Surprisingly, it isn't that hard. Everyone in our group of six got it to stick by their 2nd or 3rd throw, and that includes a couple of women who I'm pretty sure have never thrown a ball more than 5 feet. While there were still plenty of bad throws, over the next two hours, most were in the 4-6 point area in the middle.

That bounce-back in the video was crazy, but I believe it--we had a few that bounced back to the thrower's feet.

The place we went in Overland Park sold some bottled beer, but it was BYOB--you could bring in whatever you want. I don't think there were rules on how much you could drink, but each group had a worker hovering around and I'm sure they would have shut things down if anyone was getting too crazy.

cosmo20002
02-15-2020, 06:42 PM

I thought it was much easier to throw one-handed. I tried two-handed a few times and it was just completely unnatural.

Easy 6
02-15-2020, 06:44 PM
I did this a few weeks ago. Surprisingly, it isn't that hard. Everyone in our group of six got it to stick by their 2nd or 3rd throw, and that includes a couple of women who I'm pretty sure have never thrown a ball more than 5 feet. While there were still plenty of bad throws, over the next two hours, most were in the 4-6 point area in the middle.

That bounce-back in the video was crazy, but I believe it--we had a few that bounced back to the thrower's feet.

The place we went in Overland Park sold some bottled beer, but it was BYOB--you could bring in whatever you want. I don't think there were rules on how much you could drink, but each group had a worker hovering around and I'm sure they would have shut things down if anyone was getting too crazy.

Glad you had fun, pal

See? you can be human after all!

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
02-15-2020, 08:28 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0L5QC9ZJkM8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

For those of us old enough to remember the old Daniel Boone TV Show:LOL:

Pointer19
02-15-2020, 10:23 PM
Reminds me of this guy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/n6mbW-jMtrY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

srvy
02-15-2020, 10:32 PM
https://burythehatchet.com/axe-throwing-kansas-city/

Didnt know this was a thing. So i looked up ax throwing in kc area and found Bury the Hatchet. First off I noticed they were throwing Estwing hatchets just like I carry in my work truck. Next I noticed they threw at a board with painted target at least 2'6" in diameter and the guy retrieves his hatchet with 4 small choppy steps to target. He cant be more than 5 to 7 feet away and the hatchet doesnt even make 1 full revolution. The next thing I noticed its 40 bucks per person for fourtwo sweet hours of hatchet tossin.LMAO There is a sucker born every minute.

Save yourself some money go to hardware store buy hatchet go to woods pick a tree and start tossin. Thats how we did it in my day to this day. back in camp bored get drunk and throw camp hatchet at tree. Also some of you need know difference in a ax and a hatchet.

Otter
02-15-2020, 10:56 PM
I forget how I ran across this little tidbit but a place in a small town in upper Pennsylvania opened up a hatchet throwing house to the public.

Not only would one have to consider this to be a money laundering operation due to supply & demand vs costs (imagine the liability insurance) but it is also a BYOB establishment to boot.

https://pahatchethouse.com/index.php/hatchet-house-rules/

That's a bold investment.

srvy
02-16-2020, 12:22 AM
If want some more manly man fun do like us surveyors and take the 12 lb sledge challenge. hold sledge with arm straight out in one hand at very end handle. The sledge head straight up pointing at sky then lower head till it touches nose then straight back slowly to the sky. It's harder than sounds and no bending at elbow. word to the wise no spindly forearms and weak limp wrists. It's also a good way to break your nose if you fail and don't tilt your head in time.