PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Two Handed Bowling

Shiver Me Timbers
02-23-2020, 01:59 PM
I guess I have been living under a rock.
I had no idea bowling two handed is a thing.
Boring sports time of year, flipping thru the channels and I see a guy rolling the ball kind of like my kids used to.

Any bowlers on CP? Wondering it this is or was controversial.

Mosbonian
02-23-2020, 02:01 PM
Lifelong bowler here...and for some reason it seems to be a new trend among the younger bowlers like Jason Belmonte and Kyle Troup.

Can't understand it....but then again my bowling icon is Earl Anthony.

Shiver Me Timbers
02-23-2020, 02:07 PM
....but then again my bowling icon is Earl Anthony.

We must be about the same age. He is the only Pro Bowler's name I remember.

Jewish Rabbi
02-23-2020, 02:19 PM
We must be about the same age. He is the only Pro Bowler's name I remember.

What about Pete Weber? Who do you think you are, I am!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gKQOXYB2cd8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Demonpenz
02-23-2020, 02:27 PM
You can rev up your ball a ton. It was big overseas first. Walter Ray Williams Jr best bowler all time and best horse shoe player all the time threw a 300 with it as well. They still have one hand on the ball at release.

Demonpenz
02-23-2020, 02:31 PM
stuff

Shiver Me Timbers
02-23-2020, 02:33 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gKQOXYB2cd8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I actually do remember him now that you put his name in front of me.
"I am" LMAO

ghak99
02-23-2020, 02:34 PM
The ball return looked to be the biggest obstacle.

Shiver Me Timbers
02-23-2020, 02:36 PM
stuff

I noticed the lane had something like skid marks on it as the ball traveled towards the pins. That spin is crazy.
One other thing-
I watched those guys roll the ball and my mind kept going back to Dan Quisenberry

Bob Dole
02-23-2020, 02:44 PM
Saw some a few weeks ago and I think at least one of them only inserts one finger. I guess that's one way to avoid that nasty bowler's thumb.

bdj23
02-23-2020, 02:46 PM
I used to be in a league with a guy who did it. He was pretty decent with it too. I've never tried.

seclark
02-23-2020, 03:25 PM
I was always a shitty bowler
Whatever
sec

CarlosCarson27
02-23-2020, 03:52 PM
Bowling. That thing you do twice a year for fun.
Spending 10 minutes trying to find a ball and shoes thst fit.

Superbowltrashcan
02-23-2020, 04:01 PM
Gotta admit I was kinda bummed once I opened the thread. I thought it was going to be really strong and fit individuals throwing two bowling balls at one time, one in each hand. I know so little about many things....

Lex Luthor
02-23-2020, 04:56 PM
Jason Belmonte completely revolutionized the game with his two-handed style. He can generate a lot more ball speed and a lot more revolutions on the ball than a traditional bowler. That leads to better pin carry and a lot more strikes. He's been PBA player of the year five times, and he won another tournament (the US Open) again today. The guy he beat in the final match (Anthony Simonsen) also throws the ball with two hands.

Bowling with two-hands and doing it well is EXTREMELY difficult. I've seen a bunch of pretty decent bowlers attempt to do it, and the results are usually pretty bad. It's like telling a kid he can be a great NFL quarterback if he can just throw the football exactly the way Patrick Mahomes does it. It's easier said than done.

I can only think of a few pro bowlers who bowl two-handed. The vast majority of pro bowlers continue to bowl with one hand.

I've been a league bowler ever since I was in high school. I have six 300 games and one 800 series, so I guess you could say I'm a fan of the game. I think I throw the ball pretty well with one hand (I average over 200), but I can't throw the ball worth a damn with two hands. The few times I tried it I felt awkward and looked ridiculous. I figured I better stop before I injure myself.

Mosbonian
02-23-2020, 05:04 PM
You can rev up your ball a ton. It was big overseas first. Walter Ray Williams Jr best bowler all time and best horse shoe player all the time threw a 300 with it as well. They still have one hand on the ball at release.

Sorry....Walter Ray Williams couldn't hold a candle to Earl Anthony in my book. The only reason he had more titles than Anthony is that he bowled longer. I am pretty sure that Anthony actually took up bowling later in life....

Lex Luthor
02-23-2020, 05:16 PM

When did Walter Ray use two hands?

Mosbonian
02-23-2020, 05:17 PM
Jason Belmonte completely revolutionized the game with his two-handed style. He can generate a lot more ball speed and a lot more revolutions on the ball than a traditional bowler. That leads to better pin carry and a lot more strikes. He's been PBA player of the year five times, and he won another tournament (the US Open) again today. The guy he beat in the final match (Anthony Simonsen) also throws the ball with two hands.

Bowling with two-hands and doing it well is EXTREMELY difficult. I've seen a bunch of pretty decent bowlers attempt to do it, and the results are usually pretty bad. It's like telling a kid he can be a great NFL quarterback if he can just throw the football exactly the way Patrick Mahomes does it. It's easier said than done.

I can only think of a few pro bowlers who bowl two-handed. The vast majority of pro bowlers continue to bowl with one hand.

I've been a league bowler ever since I was in high school. I have six 300 games and one 800 series, so I guess you could say I'm a fan of the game. I think I throw the ball pretty well with one hand (I average over 200), but I can't throw the ball worth a damn with two hands. The few times I tried it I felt awkward and looked ridiculous. I figured I better stop before I injure myself.

Been bowling since I was 6 years old.....and a 300 game is the only thing that has eluded me. Bowled several games in the high 200's but never a 300. Reached 800 once....740 twice.

I actually worked for King Louie for 3 years....but not at the bowling lanes. They had a business that sold bowling shirts and later silk jackets in the mid-80's. Got to meet many of the old bowling legends back then like Johnny Petraglia, Nelson Burton Jr, Dick Weber (Pete's dad and nowhere near the jerk young Pete was and still seems to be), Don Johnson, Carmen Salvino, Dave Soutar, Guppy Troup, Jim Stefanich.

Pete Weber was always dubbed the bad boy of bowling.....and Marshall Holman was considered the most flamboyant. Never really like either of them.

Deberg_1990
02-23-2020, 05:58 PM
Is bowling a sport or a skill?

Lex Luthor
02-23-2020, 06:17 PM

You could ask the same question about golf.

It's a pointless debate. Some people will say they are sports. Others will say they are not.

If you define a sport as something that consists of physical competition with winners and losers, then golf and bowling are sports. If you define a sport as something that must have grueling physical requirements like you find in an iron man triathlon, football, or basketball, then golf and bowling aren't sports.

If that's your requirement, determining where to draw the line becomes problematic. You could easily start excluding things like baseball and tennis.

For that reason, I'd call bowling a sport.

Lex Luthor
02-23-2020, 06:21 PM
Been bowling since I was 6 years old.....and a 300 game is the only thing that has eluded me. Bowled several games in the high 200's but never a 300. Reached 800 once....740 twice.

I actually worked for King Louie for 3 years....but not at the bowling lanes. They had a business that sold bowling shirts and later silk jackets in the mid-80's. Got to meet many of the old bowling legends back then like Johnny Petraglia, Nelson Burton Jr, Dick Weber (Pete's dad and nowhere near the jerk young Pete was and still seems to be), Don Johnson, Carmen Salvino, Dave Soutar, Guppy Troup, Jim Stefanich.

Pete Weber was always dubbed the bad boy of bowling.....and Marshall Holman was considered the most flamboyant. Never really like either of them.

I remember all of those guys. The only one I ever met was Dave Soutar. He used to run a pro shop in North KC, and I bought a ball from him back in the 1980s.

That's pretty unusual to have an 800 series but no 300 games. I think I read somewhere that there's about ten times as many 300 games as 800 series.

Completely agree about Pete Weber. I think he's one of the bigger douchebags in all of pro sports.

TLO
02-23-2020, 07:05 PM
Not really related to the topic at hand but my Dad's brothers started the Kegel Bowling company. I bowled a lot when I was younger, and was pretty decent. There was a time when I really wanted to get a 300, but kind of burned out on the sport around age 16.

I bowl once or twice a year and usually score around 180 - 220 a game.

Mosbonian
02-23-2020, 07:29 PM
I remember all of those guys. The only one I ever met was Dave Soutar. He used to run a pro shop in North KC, and I bought a ball from him back in the 1980s.

That's pretty unusual to have an 800 series but no 300 games. I think I read somewhere that there's about ten times as many 300 games as 800 series.

Completely agree about Pete Weber. I think he's one of the bigger douchebags in all of pro sports.

For some reason I get inside my own head when it comes to 300 games...I have started games on a roll and then had a pocket hit that left a hard 7 or a hard 10 in the 10th or 11th frame. Or I will start with a 9 or a spare and strike out.

I've also had days where no matter how hard I try I was lucky to get out of the 150's for the 3 games.

Bowl now more for fun...haven't been in a league for a few years.

Pete's problem is that he was always living in his father's shadow and couldn't avoid it.

Lex Luthor
02-23-2020, 08:12 PM

I remember that tournament. Pete Weber was a jackass that day. That whole "Who do you think you are, I am!" was directed at a fan in the stands. The fan had changed position in his seat while Weber was on the approach. Weber backed off and stared daggers at him. He may have even said something (I don't recall). After he struck to win the game several frames later, he yelled "Who do you think you are, I am!" at that fan.

I thought about that incident just last week when Bill O'Neill (former KU Jayhawk) was standing on the approach about to throw a crucial shot in the 9th frame of the title match of the PBA Players Championship. A kid in the front row of the stands on the side was moving around. O'Neill backed off and very politely asked the kid to just give him 10 seconds. He then threw a strike. When he was walking back and celebrating, he walked over with a big grin on his face and gave the kid two high fives. Instead of making the kid feel like shit, he made him feel like a million dollars.

I'm pretty sure Bill O'Neill made a lifelong fan that day. Pete Weber would have gone over and kicked the kid in the balls.

https://i.ibb.co/PmB5sM8/PBA.jpg

Mephistopheles Janx
02-23-2020, 08:23 PM
Saw some a few weeks ago and I think at least one of them only inserts one finger. I guess that's one way to avoid that nasty bowler's thumb.

That is how I bowl. One finger, light ball, and chuck the ever loving fuck out of it. I get crazy spin and the speed of the ball makes up for the lack of weight.

Mosbonian
02-23-2020, 08:26 PM
That is how I bowl. One finger, light ball, and chuck the ever loving **** out of it. I get crazy spin and the speed of the ball makes up for the lack of weight.

Old school here...16 lb ball, semi-fingertip and angled right for a better break on the ball (I am a southpaw)

Demonpenz
02-23-2020, 10:37 PM
When did Walter Ray use two hands?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0Rhp27g1nEc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Beef Supreme
02-23-2020, 11:51 PM
I always thought bowling was just an excuse to drink.

CarlosCarson27
02-24-2020, 02:00 AM

anything that causes a bunch of guys to compete, is a sport

Mecca
02-24-2020, 07:12 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/3o6gE4atEm6i2JrQB2/giphy.gifI remember that tournament. Pete Weber was a jackass that day. That whole "Who do you think you are, I am!" was directed at a fan in the stands. The fan had changed position in his seat while Weber was on the approach. Weber backed off and stared daggers at him. He may have even said something (I don't recall). After he struck to win the game several frames later, he yelled "Who do you think you are, I am!" at that fan.

I thought about that incident just last week when Bill O'Neill (former KU Jayhawk) was standing on the approach about to throw a crucial shot in the 9th frame of the title match of the PBA Players Championship. A kid in the front row of the stands on the side was moving around. O'Neill backed off and very politely asked the kid to just give him 10 seconds. He then threw a strike. When he was walking back and celebrating, he walked over with a big grin on his face and gave the kid two high fives. Instead of making the kid feel like shit, he made him feel like a million dollars.

I'm pretty sure Bill O'Neill made a lifelong fan that day. Pete Weber would have gone over and kicked the kid in the balls.

https://i.ibb.co/PmB5sM8/PBA.jpg

Perineum Ripper
02-24-2020, 08:15 AM
anything that causes a bunch of guys to compete, is a sport

Football
Baseball
Basketball
Hockey

Most importantly

Pussy

threebag
02-24-2020, 08:57 AM
So what did you guys hold for averages? When I went to school at WSU, Gordon Vadakin tried to get me to join the Shocker Men’s Team. He looked defeated when I told him I couldn’t imagine bowling without drinking beer. I carried a 211 avg. bowled a bunch of 800 series in my glory days

Jerm
02-24-2020, 09:21 AM

Dude has 12 majors....absolutely ridiculous. He and Aulby are the only ones to complete the Super Slam as well, another crazy accomplishment.

crayzkirk
02-24-2020, 09:49 AM

Skill... anything you can do better while drinking probably isn't a sport.

The technology is crazy now. Between the synthetic lanes, ball composition, internal weight, etc. it's a totally different game. The players today take better care of themselves and the equipment is light years better. It's a lot like golf; take a current player and give him the old equipment, he will be able to adjust and be very good however nothing like the equipment today. The last time I went bowling, I pulled out my trusty yellow dot, which used to be a fairly strong breaking plastic ball and it went dead straight. I catch it on TV and am amazed at how many balls these guys use. As my friend who was on the semi-pro tour for a while would say... you can get a ball that will get strikes however you have to be able to pick up spares on your own.

SuperBowl4
02-24-2020, 09:54 AM
Anybody into Curling? I'm looking forward to the Mixed-Doubles vs. Scotland February 28. CURLING NIGHT IN AMERICA! ONLY on MSNBC!

Shiver Me Timbers
02-24-2020, 09:56 AM
.................. He looked defeated when I told him I couldn’t imagine bowling without drinking beer...........

:LOL:

Dunerdr
02-24-2020, 10:06 AM
So what did you guys hold for averages? When I went to school at WSU, Gordon Vadakin tried to get me to join the Shocker Men’s Team. He looked defeated when I told him I couldn’t imagine bowling without drinking beer. I carried a 211 avg. bowled a bunch of 800 series in my glory days
As a sophmore in highschool, i carried a 203 for the last 6 weeks of the year, then the superintendent of the school denied our legitimacy because we weren't practicing or competing on school property. So i turned my focus to football, tore my knee out as a junior and forfeited a lot of accumulated yaba scholorship money because i could not continue to compete.

I'm now 30, both local alleys are closed so i have to drive 45 min to roll so i dont hardly anymore. I do miss it.

threebag
02-24-2020, 10:14 AM
Our local alley is closed also. I have thought about buying it but I don’t want to be the next sucker to close the doors. Just not enough interest to turn a profit. Maybe I’m wrong but I’ve seen it close too many times.

Seems like kids would rather bowl on there phone or tablet, there’s an App for that. :)

Deberg_1990
02-24-2020, 10:37 AM
Axe throwing has replaced Bowling in popularity these days.

Mosbonian
02-24-2020, 10:53 AM
Our local alley is closed also. I have thought about buying it but I don’t want to be the next sucker to close the doors. Just not enough interest to turn a profit. Maybe I’m wrong but I’ve seen it close too many times.

Seems like kids would rather bowl on there phone or tablet, there’s an App for that. :)

WIi bowling has replaced real bowling for Seniors. Go to a retirement home any night and you will find leagues just like you used to with regular leagues when we were young.

Mosbonian
02-24-2020, 11:05 AM

My brother actually went to Southwest Baptist on a bowling scholarship in the 70's....he and his doubles partner were National Champions 2 years running.

Almost cost my brother his scholarship...when the coach came to visit our family he asked if I was following my brothers footsteps and bowling in College. I told him no...I wanted to play real sports.

jd1020
02-24-2020, 11:31 AM
I used to bowl as a kid just for fun every now and then and didnt really pay attention to professional bowling or anything and one day I was messing around and just decided to not use my thumb and see what happened and the natural spin I got on the ball was nuts. My mother signed me up for a league and I was still throwing without my thumb and some of the league adult teachers or whatever you want to call them saw me doing it and told me to stop and completely changed how I bowled. If only those motherfuckers understood the power!

jd1020
02-24-2020, 11:33 AM

My local alley you cant even bowl but maybe 1 or 2 nights a week because the rest of the time every lane is taken up for leagues and the parking lot has 500 cars in the lot.

KChiefs1
02-24-2020, 11:44 AM
Used to go out to Vegas for bowling tournaments at the Showboat where I met Mark Roth & Johnny Petraglia.

KChiefs1
02-24-2020, 11:49 AM

I threw 9 perfect games & my highest series was 835.

jerryaldini
02-24-2020, 11:56 AM
I've noticed most young bowlers going to two hands. Looks cool, get great hook at the end to increase strike potential. Problem is they try to use it for their spares too and it kills there scores.

Dunerdr
02-24-2020, 12:35 PM
My local alley you cant even bowl but maybe 1 or 2 nights a week because the rest of the time every lane is taken up for leagues and the parking lot has 500 cars in the lot.

You must be from up north.

Does anyone know a sight for discount new balls? My cousin moved to the tulsa area and we have been talking about getting back into it. He carried a 212 average at one time, but like me has been out of it for 10 plus years. Both of our hands have out grown our balls. I Know they used to fill and re drill but i think mines a 14lber and im a 250 6'1" guy lol.

tatorhog
02-24-2020, 01:05 PM
Two handed bowling is something Happy Gilmore would do.

And probably kick ass at it as well.

Shiver Me Timbers
02-24-2020, 02:19 PM
I laughed

You must be from up north.

Does anyone know a sight for discount new balls? My cousin moved to the tulsa area and we have been talking about getting back into it. He carried a 212 average at one time, but like me has been out of it for 10 plus years. Both of our hands have out grown our balls. I Know they used to fill and re drill but i think mines a 14lber and im a 250 6'1" guy lol.

Lex Luthor
02-24-2020, 04:03 PM

That's a pretty cool story. Gordon Vadakin is a legend.

After 41 years and 18 national titles, WSU bowling coach Gordon Vadakin to retire (https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article230401464.html)

Dartgod
02-24-2020, 05:22 PM
Skill... anything you can do better while drinking probably isn't a sport.

The technology is crazy now. Between the synthetic lanes, ball composition, internal weight, etc. it's a totally different game. The players today take better care of themselves and the equipment is light years better. It's a lot like golf; take a current player and give him the old equipment, he will be able to adjust and be very good however nothing like the equipment today. The last time I went bowling, I pulled out my trusty yellow dot, which used to be a fairly strong breaking plastic ball and it went dead straight. I catch it on TV and am amazed at how many balls these guys use. As my friend who was on the semi-pro tour for a while would say... you can get a ball that will get strikes however you have to be able to pick up spares on your own.

Truth. I bowled a couple of 300's back in the early 90's. In the 10th frame, the entire house stopped to watch. Now days there is practically one every night in the league next to us. But you wouldn't know it unless you happen to be within a pair of it.

Dunerdr
02-25-2020, 07:13 AM
I laughed

Our hands have also out grown each others balls, a true tragedy.

JohnnyHammersticks
02-25-2020, 08:59 AM
Sorry....Walter Ray Williams couldn't hold a candle to Earl Anthony in my book. The only reason he had more titles than Anthony is that he bowled longer. I am pretty sure that Anthony actually took up bowling later in life....

Carmen Salvino says hey...

Mosbonian
02-25-2020, 10:42 AM
Carmen Salvino says hey...

I would venture to guess that Carmen Salvino would say Earl Anthony was the best of all time.