PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Salary Cap cuts - Hitchens and LDT

chop
02-27-2020, 08:08 AM
I was looking at the Chief's salary cap situation at overthecap.com and noticed that if the Chiefs cut LDT and Hitchens this year they only gain about 4m in cap space this year but they gain 20m next year. Also, I noticed that if they keep Hitchens this year and cut him next year, they only get a 2m increase in the cap next year. Will the Chiefs take the cap hit this year on Hitchens? Would you cut both this year?

Mecca
02-27-2020, 08:09 AM
The Chiefs are stuck with Hitchens for 2 more years, that restructure of his contract this past season did that.

Sofa King
02-27-2020, 08:09 AM
They'll probably end up keeping both.

Mecca
02-27-2020, 08:12 AM
They'll probably end up keeping both.

LDT is a really good cut candidate actually, he makes 9 mill and you get 5 of it back by cutting him. You likely get a better player than him if you invest half of it back into the position.

LDT really isn't all that great and he's constantly injured.

chop
02-27-2020, 08:13 AM
The 20m bump in next year's cap is intriguing to me.

Chief Roundup
02-27-2020, 09:02 AM
LDT is a really good cut candidate actually, he makes 9 mill and you get 5 of it back by cutting him. You likely get a better player than him if you invest half of it back into the position.

LDT really isn't all that great and he's constantly injured.You think we are going to get a better G for $2.5million?

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Mecca
02-27-2020, 09:04 AM
You think we are going to get a better G for $2.5million?

Well Wisniewski outplayed him and he made peanuts....

Lzen
02-27-2020, 09:09 AM
Well Wisniewski outplayed him and he made peanuts....

Plus, we have that young guard that we traded for with the Texans. I thought he was playing well before the injury. This is what good teams do. They trade away again, talented players for picks to replace them with young, less expensive players. You just have to have good scouting and development.

Chief Roundup
02-27-2020, 09:24 AM
Well Wisniewski outplayed him and he made peanuts....The same guy that most don't believe could stand up to an entire season? Gonna have to try again.

Chief Roundup
02-27-2020, 09:24 AM
Plus, we have that young guard that we traded for with the Texans. I thought he was playing well before the injury. This is what good teams do. They trade away again, talented players for picks to replace them with young, less expensive players. You just have to have good scouting and development.Rankin is suppose to take Ervings spot.

DaFace
02-27-2020, 09:29 AM
You think we are going to get a better G for $2.5million?

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using TapatalkI liked LDT in the past, but he looked like ass this year. You can easily replace that level of production. The question is just whether he will stay healthy or not. If he does, he'll probably look better. But if last year is the new normal for him, he needs to go.

Mecca
02-27-2020, 09:32 AM
Rankin is suppose to take Ervings spot.

Erving is a backup....and I doubt he's going anywhere.

Lzen
02-27-2020, 09:33 AM
The same guy that most don't believe could stand up to an entire season? Gonna have to try again.

Huh? Why is that? Does he have a long injury history? :spock:

Mecca
Also I'm not sure why it's hard to understand a guard taken in like round 4 can usually be a starter pretty fast.

Lzen
I liked LDT in the past, but he looked like ass this year. You can easily replace that level of production. The question is just whether he will stay healthy or not. If he does, he'll probably look better. But if last year is the new normal for him, he needs to go.

I feel the same way. And he does seem to get injured a lot.

BossChief
02-27-2020, 09:34 AM
I agree I’d probably cut both of them to clear future cap space.

Neither player was good last year.

Lzen
02-27-2020, 09:38 AM
I agree I’d probably cut both of them to clear future cap space.

Neither player was good last year.

Hitchens played okay, I thought. Plus, he's the QB of the front 7, getting guys aligned properly before the snap.

dlphg9
02-27-2020, 09:41 AM
I liked LDT in the past, but he looked like ass this year. You can easily replace that level of production. The question is just whether he will stay healthy or not. If he does, he'll probably look better. But if last year is the new normal for him, he needs to go.

I was a big LDT fan as well and was really excited when he became the starter in only his 2nd season in the league, especially since he was a 6th rounder, but he's just not worth the money he's getting. He has been pretty underwhelming and gets injured way too often. We can easily find someone in the draft that's at the very least, just as good as he is, but will save us a few million.

I was in the camp that thought LDT would blossom into a really good guard, but it seems he's taken a step back and isnt as good as he was before. Injuries may have played a role or maybe some of his suckiness has to do with the play of our center, because he seemed good when Morse was here and healthy.

DaFace
02-27-2020, 09:41 AM
Not sure why we're even discussing Hitchens. There's about a 0% chance we'd move on from him this offseason given his contract structure.

R Clark
02-27-2020, 09:42 AM
Yeah I thought hitchens had a decent year, what do you replace him with?

BigRedChief
02-27-2020, 09:43 AM
The 20m bump in next year's cap is intriguing to me.Its already taken up by Mahomes.

Pasta Little Brioni
02-27-2020, 09:51 AM
CUT EVERYONE/CP

The Franchise
02-27-2020, 09:55 AM
Rankin is suppose to take Ervings spot.

Really? What gave you that idea? Was it the starts at LG that he had during the season before he got hurt?

Hoover
02-27-2020, 10:02 AM
Hitch isn't going anywhere.

LDT and Erving can both go.

New CBA tells me to keep Jones.

Chief Roundup
02-27-2020, 10:08 AM
Erving is a backup....and I doubt he's going anywhere.He has been OK in his spot duty. Most seem to think he is gone and that Rankin is the new swing tackle backup LG.

Chief Roundup
02-27-2020, 10:09 AM
I liked LDT in the past, but he looked like ass this year. You can easily replace that level of production. The question is just whether he will stay healthy or not. If he does, he'll probably look better. But if last year is the new normal for him, he needs to go.Injury is the main reason. He should look better this year. He should be healthy again.

DaFace
02-27-2020, 10:13 AM
Injury is the main reason. He should look better this year. He should be healthy again.

He's missed games due to injuries 4 seasons in a row. Forgive me if I'm not optimistic about what he SHOULD look like.

pugsnotdrugs19
02-27-2020, 10:20 AM
Rankin isn’t athletic enough to be a true tackle. He’s a spot duty guy there IMO.

Can be a legit guard in this offense though.

The Franchise
02-27-2020, 10:24 AM
I would dump LDT and Erving....and then bring back Wiz.

Fisher - Wiz - Reiter - Rankin - Schwartz

Jackson Barton is your swing OT. Wylie and Allegretti are your backup interior offensive linemen. Draft another OG.

O.city
02-27-2020, 10:59 AM
If I could cut guys like this and keep Chris JOnes, that's a no brainer.

The Franchise
02-27-2020, 11:40 AM
I’d look at trading LDT to either the Bengals or the Redskins if we can.

Megatron96
02-27-2020, 12:05 PM
Can’t move hitchens,period. Even I know that.

Andy really likes LDT. Probably not going anywhere either.

End thread.

Mecca
02-27-2020, 12:06 PM
Can’t move hitchens,period. Even I know that.

Andy really likes LDT. Probably not going anywhere either.

End thread.

I don't think you realize that the Chiefs have to create cap space.

Megatron96
02-27-2020, 12:15 PM
I don't think you realize that the Chiefs have to create cap space.

Oh I understand that fine. Just stating facts. Hitchens CAN’T be moved. LDT is a favorite of Andy’s.

BryanBusby
02-27-2020, 12:17 PM
They could definitely cut bait with Hitchens this year as a post June 1st cut if a new CBA is in place, but probably not likely.

Don't think Ldt is going anywhere right now either. Think it's more likely they request some pay cuts.

Erving absolutely should be cut though.

Mecca
02-27-2020, 12:20 PM
You all should tell me where the money is coming from then because if you think Jones is coming back and Mahomes is getting this extension when the Chiefs currently have about 15 million of space.....with like 40 players on the roster, where is the other money coming from?

JohnnyHammersticks
02-27-2020, 12:21 PM
I'm sure if you did a search history I've probably been harder than anyone in here on Hitchens, but even I've got to admit he played much better this year. It started when Jones was hurt during the season and he maintained the higher level of play for most of the rest of the year, imo.

That said, if he's a cap casualty he shouldn't be that hard to replace.

JakeF
02-27-2020, 12:21 PM
Wiznewski was.solid this year, LDT.was.ass.

Need upgrades at center and RG.

Although I doubt Andy wants to move on this early at center. 😒

Pasta Little Brioni
02-27-2020, 12:25 PM
Cut Jake F and Direction to save 10 million killed brain cells from reading their posts

The Franchise
02-27-2020, 12:28 PM
Oh I understand that fine. Just stating facts. Hitchens CAN’T be moved. LDT is a favorite of Andy’s.

Show me your proof that LDT is a favorite of Andy. Facts and everything should make that proof pretty easy.

Megatron96
02-27-2020, 12:28 PM
I’m not saying that LDT is a lock to stay, but I know Andy likes him. So it won’t surprise me if he’s on the team next season.

Megatron96
02-27-2020, 12:29 PM
Show me your proof that LDT is a favorite of Andy. Facts and everything should make that proof pretty easy.

Oh for gods sake.

The Franchise
02-27-2020, 12:32 PM
Oh for gods sake.

Don’t fucking state “facts” that are legit not fucking facts. Pretty simple.

Bill Brasky
02-27-2020, 12:33 PM
The Chiefs realize zero dollars in cap savings by cutting or trading hitchens. Next year is a different story.

https://overthecap.com/player/anthony-hitchens/3058/

Megatron96
02-27-2020, 12:37 PM
Don’t ****ing state “facts” that are legit not ****ing facts. Pretty simple.

You should take a couple chill pills. Andy’s been complimentary where LDT’s concerned all season. Andy has a history of being loyal to his favorite players. In at least two post-game pressers Andy specifically complimented LDT’s play.

Now go take your pills.

DaFace
02-27-2020, 01:24 PM
You should take a couple chill pills. Andy’s been complimentary where LDT’s concerned all season. Andy has a history of being loyal to his favorite players. In at least two post-game pressers Andy specifically complimented LDT’s play.

Now go take your pills.Show me a player he isn't complementary of...

chop
02-27-2020, 01:36 PM
The Chiefs realize zero dollars in cap savings by cutting or trading Hitchens. Next year is a different story.

https://overthecap.com/player/anthony-hitchens/3058/

When I chose to cut Hitchens this year, there was a big jump in salary cap for next year. If you wait until next year to cut him, the savings are much smaller.

Chief Northman
02-27-2020, 01:38 PM
I was looking at the Chief's salary cap situation at overthecap.com and noticed that if the Chiefs cut LDT and Hitchens this year they only gain about 4m in cap space this year but they gain 20m next year. Also, I noticed that if they keep Hitchens this year and cut him next year, they only get a 2m increase in the cap next year. Will the Chiefs take the cap hit this year on Hitchens? Would you cut both this year?

God damn it.

Look up "dead money"......

DaFace
02-27-2020, 01:40 PM
When I chose to cut Hitchens this year, there was a big jump in salary cap for next year. If you wait until next year to cut him, the savings are much smaller.

Sure, but we literally save NOTHING this year if we cut him now. You don't lose out on an entire year of service from a player to try and saving a couple million next year, especially on a team with dynasty aspirations.

Bill Brasky
02-27-2020, 01:54 PM
Sure, but we literally save NOTHING this year if we cut him now. You don't lose out on an entire year of service from a player to try and saving a couple million next year, especially on a team with dynasty aspirations.

Plus Veach already said he's going to try and keep as much of the team together as possible.

Titty Meat
02-27-2020, 02:04 PM
Hitchens isnt going anywhere redid his deal during the year to basically stick around.

LDT possibly
Dont pick up the option on Erving or Wilson
Cut Colquitt
Let Watkins go

Theres about 20 mil in cap savings

Pasta Little Brioni
02-27-2020, 02:06 PM
Plenty to keep Jones after billay moves. See fools even billay can figure this shit out...

saphojunkie
02-27-2020, 02:22 PM
Cutting Hitchens does nothing to help the team. He's $12M to keep and $12M to cut. Then you have to actually replace him with someone. So, by cutting Hitchens and drafting/signing a replacement, you actually LOSE cap space.

Chief Roundup
02-27-2020, 04:04 PM
Really? What gave you that idea? Was it the starts at LG that he had during the season before he got hurt?No it was the conversations that Nick Lackey and BJ Kissel have had or from Matt Derrick being on a couple of podcasts.

Eleazar
02-27-2020, 04:06 PM
Oh boy, it's draftabulator/cap genious season...

RunKC
02-27-2020, 04:11 PM
LDT
Sorenson
Reiter
Erving

About $15.5 million for these guys before Sammy Watkins is restructured or cut. All those guys can be replaced

Megatron96
02-27-2020, 04:27 PM
Show me a player he isn't complementary of...

Okay, that's a pretty good point.

And FYI, I don't even like LDT that much.

However, Andy's been complimentary of LDT for at least as long as he's been with the team. And more to the point, LDT has played unless he was seriously hurt. Andy has never been inclined to replace him other than for injury. Even early last season, when LDT wasn't playing all that well, he kept trotting him out there, even when LDT was a little dinged up.

That leads me to believe that Andy likes LDT more than any other guard we currently have. At least at RG. I'm hoping we keep Wiz somehow at LG.

Now the reality of the cap situation might make Andy/Veach consider trading him or whatever, and I know little about how the cap stuff works.

But I also know that Andy's OL requires a lot of reps with the same guys to work properly, so Andy's not going to be high on getting rid of LDT for a new guy just to save some money. He likes continuity.

So all I'm saying is it just wouldn't surprise me if LDT came back next year just because Andy would want someone at the position that he could count on to be familiar with his offense/blocking schemes.

The Franchise
02-27-2020, 04:52 PM
Okay, that's a pretty good point.

And FYI, I don't even like LDT that much.

However, Andy's been complimentary of LDT for at least as long as he's been with the team. And more to the point, LDT has played unless he was seriously hurt. Andy has never been inclined to replace him other than for injury. Even early last season, when LDT wasn't playing all that well, he kept trotting him out there, even when LDT was a little dinged up.

That leads me to believe that Andy likes LDT more than any other guard we currently have. At least at RG. I'm hoping we keep Wiz somehow at LG.

Now the reality of the cap situation might make Andy/Veach consider trading him or whatever, and I know little about how the cap stuff works.

But I also know that Andy's OL requires a lot of reps with the same guys to work properly, so Andy's not going to be high on getting rid of LDT for a new guy just to save some money. He likes continuity.

So all I'm saying is it just wouldn't surprise me if LDT came back next year just because Andy would want someone at the position that he could count on to be familiar with his offense/blocking schemes.

LDT wasn’t replaced when he wasn’t playing well because Andy doesn’t like to change up his offensive line until he’s forced too. And that’s either forced because of injury or just complete fucking suckage. If you’re mediocre....you aren’t getting replaced.

Case in point. Wylie this year. Wylie only got benched because of injury and Wiz stepping in and improving the position.

Megatron96
02-27-2020, 05:08 PM
LDT wasn’t replaced when he wasn’t playing well because Andy doesn’t like to change up his offensive line until he’s forced too. And that’s either forced because of injury or just complete ****ing suckage. If you’re mediocre....you aren’t getting replaced.

Case in point. Wylie this year. Wylie only got benched because of injury and Wiz stepping in and improving the position.

You have a point.

Look, as I said earlier, I don't know what they're going to do with LDT. I'm speculating like everyone else. Not about Hitchens; because of how Hitchens' contract was restructured isn't going anywhere next season.

Back to LDT:

What I do know is that Andy is a loyal kind of guy. And that in the last three years (albeit last year LDT was out with a broken leg for most of the year) Andy hasn't found a reason not to start LDT. And finally Andy likes to start guys that are veterans and guys that know his offense.

Now I also have no idea what kind of Gs are in the draft or will be available in free agency. If there was a guy that was a real upgrade over LDT, I can see Andy wanting to go after him, sure.

But if there's not, I can easily see Andy wanting to keep LDT around. For continuity's sake. That's really all I'm saying.

BigRedChief
02-27-2020, 05:09 PM
Show me a player he isn't complementary of...Right, coaches and Mahomes have mastered talking in front of the press for 1/2 hour without saying a negative word about another player or team. This isn't a diss on them or the rest of the NFL that does the same thing. But, as you say, all the happy talk about players made in public needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

BossChief
02-27-2020, 05:11 PM
LDT
Sorenson
Reiter
Erving

About $15.5 million for these guys before Sammy Watkins is restructured or cut. All those guys can be replaced

I’m not moving on from Sorenson or Reiter.

Both of those guys have been really good in the postseason.

scho63
02-27-2020, 05:40 PM
Thread title is clickbait-false impression they WERE cut.

It's just your opinion....

Lightrise
02-27-2020, 06:07 PM
For me it depends on whether we can grab Ruiz in the first round or very high second round in some trade. This coaching staff did a great job, therefore I would still cut Hitchens, and LDT and take a few risks elsewhere. I will not object to tag and trade Jones. I can't believe I'm saying this, but we probably should allow Sorenson to play out his contract. I'm willing to let some people go in order to hang onto Sammy for a few years and just get younger, and cheaper where we can. It's going to be easier to win again NOW than to win a year after this upcoming draft. The AFC is going to be one hell of a dog fight after this draft. Serious new talent is coming to AFC teams through this draft. The NFL is going to be a thrill ride for awhile.

Chief Roundup
02-27-2020, 06:52 PM
Thread title is clickbait-false impression they WERE cut.

It's just your opinion....
Everybody else seemed to have it figured out. Just saying. :shrug:

Chief Roundup
02-27-2020, 06:53 PM
I thought that Reiter was the real problem with the OL that made both G look worse than they actually were.

Titty Meat
02-27-2020, 06:54 PM
Reiter and Wylie are absolute trash

ILChief
02-27-2020, 08:50 PM
I would cut LDT but not Hitchens

BossChief
02-27-2020, 10:10 PM
You know what would be great?

Trading Anthony Hitchens for a bag of popcorn.

Coach
02-27-2020, 10:29 PM
Reiter and Wylie are absolute trash

This guy gets it.

Wylie and Reiter both need to be canned.

JakeF
02-27-2020, 11:06 PM
A serious upgrade at Center will go a long way in helping our offense.

Titty Meat
02-27-2020, 11:44 PM
This guy gets it.

Wylie and Reiter both need to be canned.

You can probably get by another year with Reiter but i'm not going to complain if we draft a center or roll with Allergretti I thought he had his moments during the pre season games and can play guard too. Wiz and Rankins both played well so I'm pretty comfortable getting rid of Wylie or demoting him and walking from LDT. Guard is one of the easiest and cheapest positions to fill.

Buckweath
02-28-2020, 07:10 AM
Quebecer here and I'm pretty sure that LDT would accept a paycut.

He's grown into this team, with the language barrier and coming from McGill University which is very far from a football powerhouse.

Unless it is something drastic, I don't think he would refuse the paycut and want to go play elsewhere.

He knows too that he has had injuries and is not a star player.

He has that bond as well with Andy Reid whose mother also studied at McGill University.

kccrow
02-28-2020, 07:24 AM
Like Bryan said, Hitchens really depends on the new CBA and being a post-June 1 guy. He'd free up 8.3m if cut this year and put us on the hook for 8.4m next year. That's still a load to swallow so the Chiefs would really have to want to part ways with him and, despite how bad he sucks, I just don't see it happening.

As for LDT, don't care. Wylie was just as good (which isn't saying much) and can be retained on an ERFA tender.

RunKC
02-28-2020, 04:57 PM
Saw this and thought it was relevant.

“The word around Indy though is that instead of just letting some guys go, the Chiefs are going to try to get some draft picks back,” said Garafolo from the NFL Scouting Combine. “Once you sign that quarterback to that big deal, you’re going to need some young guys to play for you in the coming years. Well, how do you do that? You start to compile draft picks. It wouldn’t shock me if the Chiefs were active and maybe they can get themselves a buyer on Watkins.”

Garafolo made it seem like Sammy is on the block, which he absolutely should be

Bill Brasky
02-28-2020, 05:38 PM
Saw this and thought it was relevant.

Garafolo made it seem like Sammy is on the block, which he absolutely should be

If there’s a team that is either desperate enough or dumb enough to trade for Watkins, then we take it in second. That doesn’t seem at all likely.

saphojunkie
02-28-2020, 05:47 PM
If there’s a team that is either desperate enough or dumb enough to trade for Watkins, then we take it in second. That doesn’t seem at all likely.

You do that in order to not overpay for him in free agency. Chiefs would take a fifth round pick, I'd imagine. Maybe a sixth. They can't keep him on that salary, and if you release him, you get no comp pick. This would be a nominal fee to keep his negotiations in check. Then it's just you vs. him, instead of you vs. him vs. three other teams.

LIVForTheKingdom
02-28-2020, 07:48 PM
You do that in order to not overpay for him in free agency. Chiefs would take a fifth round pick, I'd imagine. Maybe a sixth. They can't keep him on that salary, and if you release him, you get no comp pick. This would be a nominal fee to keep his negotiations in check. Then it's just you vs. him, instead of you vs. him vs. three other teams.
I think someone will like Sammy enough to give a 5/6 to us for him. Also, by trading for him, rather than waiting for him to be cut, the team making the trade bypasses FA.
To replace him, I'd sign Chris Hogan for a cheap prove it deal. Was hurt most of last year, if healthy he can put up solid numbers like he did in BUF/NE. Comes up big in the playoffs and has made some pretty impressive catches. 2/$3.5M

rtmike
02-28-2020, 07:53 PM
Wiznewski was.solid this year, LDT.was.ass.

Need upgrades at center and RG.

Although I doubt Andy wants to move on this early at center. ��

I thought it was interesting seeing Wylie get to start the 1st Super Bowl series but was quickly pulled for Wiz, lol.
I seen Wylie out there and was cussing the tv right away but he only played that first series iirc.

BossChief
02-28-2020, 08:27 PM
The Chiefs are stuck with Hitchens for 2 more years, that restructure of his contract this past season did that.

I mostly agree. If a team offers a 5th for him, Veach would probably move him. That move would actually cost us 72,000 against the cap, but would save us 11m against next years cap that Veach can use to structure a deal for Jones. It would also add a pick to our draft that currently only has us with 5 draft picks. I could see us taking a 6th or 7th for him, too...or packaging Hitch and a pick to move up in a round.

Veach thinks outside the box and Andy/Veach have mentioned multiple times that they don’t look at 1 year when they structure deals, they look at a 3 year sliding window.