PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Mason Saunders was roping in AZ at least three years ago

Megatron96
02-27-2020, 05:56 PM
Didn't know this until a few days ago, but a good friend of mine sent me a pic of him with one 'Mason Saunders' after having won a roping contest in AZ three years ago. It was funny to both of us because my friend doesn't follow baseball so he had no idea who Madison Baumgarner was when they were roping together. When the new story broke last week, my buddy texted me asking if I knew who Madison Baumgarner was.

I told him, "yeah he was a long-time ace pitcher for the SF Giants. A HOFer when he retires."

My buddy responded with, "so he's really good at baseball?"

Crazy to think that if I'd accepted just one invite to see my buddy rope three years ago I might've been able to shake hands with Madison 'Mason Saunders' Baumgarner.

Why Not?
02-27-2020, 06:11 PM
Sooooo....where’s the pic?

TLO
02-27-2020, 06:12 PM
Oh, that kind of roping.

Megatron96
02-27-2020, 06:43 PM
Duck it. I’m not smart enough to do this off my phone. I’ll post it when I get home.

ghak99
02-27-2020, 09:32 PM
First in with, fuck Joe Buck with a rusty fork for ruining my appreciation of a clutch pitcher.

lewdog
02-27-2020, 09:40 PM
Yeah fuck that piece of shit.

Glad you didn't meet him.

nychief
02-27-2020, 10:19 PM
I wish he’d be stomped by a bull.

Megatron96
02-27-2020, 11:59 PM
https://scontent.fphx1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16939400_10206197430215137_7150321929382305037_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=7B6WKwesMXsAX8H3Uj4&_nc_ht=scontent.fphx1-2.fna&oh=6196027b1c1ddad1e7fa3d6b21a37eb8&oe=5EF3ECEE

dlphg9
02-28-2020, 12:54 AM
Honestly, Madison Baumgarner has a very small chance of going into the HOF. I think for a pitcher to get in they should have to have at least 1 Cy Young Award and he's never been in the top 3 vote getters. He's only had one season with a WAR greater than 5 and has only been in the top 10 of WAR for pitchers twice. Don't get me wrong he had a pretty good stretch, but he's not a HOFer. Not even close.

Megatron96
02-28-2020, 01:31 AM
Honestly, Madison Baumgarner has a very small chance of going into the HOF. I think for a pitcher to get in they should have to have at least 1 Cy Young Award and he's never been in the top 3 vote getters. He's only had one season with a WAR greater than 5 and has only been in the top 10 of WAR for pitchers twice. Don't get me wrong he had a pretty good stretch, but he's not a HOFer. Not even close.

Eh, you could be right. Whatever;he's on the right track though. Certainly any organization would have been excited to have him on their roster just a couple years ago. I think he could be a coin flip at this point. And he still has a few prime years left. If he keeps doing what he's been doing, he probably makes it.

Nickhead
02-28-2020, 02:17 AM

baseball players chase money, not the game.

he got his money, does it really matter? :D

dlphg9
02-28-2020, 02:18 AM
Eh, you could be right. Whatever;he's on the right track though. Certainly any organization would have been excited to have him on their roster just a couple years ago. I think he could be a coin flip at this point. And he still has a few prime years left. If he keeps doing what he's been doing, he probably makes it.

I can see him getting in, especially if he can continue to pitch like he did before and after the 2017 and 2018 seasons. I guess I didn't realize the reason his numbers were down for those 2 years because he was hurt. I guess I thought he was older than what he actually is lol. It feels like he's been in the league for so long that it seems like he's an old guy and should be retiring soon, but he's only 30. Gosh take my last post in here and throw it in the trash.

Hydrae
02-28-2020, 08:52 AM
I think his love of rodeo is part of why he signed with the Diamondbacks this year. As a fan I am quite interested to see what he still has in the tank. Not that I think the D-Backs can win the division, that is the Dodgers to lose, but maybe he can help get us to the wild card game at least.

Why Not?
02-28-2020, 12:42 PM
I think his love of rodeo is part of why he signed with the Diamondbacks this year. As a fan I am quite interested to see what he still has in the tank. Not that I think the D-Backs can win the division, that is the Dodgers to lose, but maybe he can help get us to the wild card game at least.

That would be really fun. I hope the D’backs go 160-2 this year(only losing to KC on 8-17 and 8-18 lol).

Megatron96
02-28-2020, 02:08 PM
I can see him getting in, especially if he can continue to pitch like he did before and after the 2017 and 2018 seasons. I guess I didn't realize the reason his numbers were down for those 2 years because he was hurt. I guess I thought he was older than what he actually is lol. It feels like he's been in the league for so long that it seems like he's an old guy and should be retiring soon, but he's only 30. Gosh take my last post in here and throw it in the trash.

I think he can make it, but I think he's got a lot of work to do. When I initially said he was a HOFer I was thinking about the fact that he's got like three rings, an MVP, and a couple other awards. I wasn't really sure how many wins he had, etc. But for baseball wins are pretty important. I think he's got maybe 6 more really prime years left, and he has to earn another, what, 100 wins? Not going to be easy. Plus a bunch of other stats. Especially playing for the D-Backs.

But I think he's a rare talent, one of the top-10 or -15 pitchers in the game, I'm guessing. So he's got a shot at it.

DrRyan
02-28-2020, 03:12 PM
Didn't know this until a few days ago, but a good friend of mine sent me a pic of him with one 'Mason Saunders' after having won a roping contest in AZ three years ago. It was funny to both of us because my friend doesn't follow baseball so he had no idea who Madison Baumgarner was when they were roping together. When the new story broke last week, my buddy texted me asking if I knew who Madison Baumgarner was.

I told him, "yeah he was a long-time ace pitcher for the SF Giants. A HOFer when he retires."

My buddy responded with, "so he's really good at baseball?"

Crazy to think that if I'd accepted just one invite to see my buddy rope three years ago I might've been able to shake hands with Madison 'Mason Saunders' Baumgarner.

How do you know Chris? He is good people.

Megatron96
02-28-2020, 03:22 PM
How do you know Chris? He is good people.

We met through a mutual friend on a fly-fishing trip maybe a dozen years ago. Been fishing together ever since. Haven't been able to get together as much the last couple years, but we're trying to set up a trip this year. Wy or CO or UT.

You know him thru rodeo?

DrRyan
02-28-2020, 03:25 PM
We met through a mutual friend on a fly-fishing trip maybe a dozen years ago. Been fishing together ever since. Haven't been able to get together as much the last couple years, but we're trying to set up a trip this year. Wy or CO or UT.

You know him thru rodeo?

No, I have known him for a long time though. My practice is in the building he owns off 51/Cactus. I have known his family for probably a little less than a decade. Enjoy the fishing trip if you make it happen!

JD10367
02-28-2020, 03:29 PM
“They be ropin’ everybody out here...”

Megatron96
02-28-2020, 03:37 PM
No, I have known him for a long time though. My practice is in the building he owns off 51/Cactus. I have known his family for probably a little less than a decade. Enjoy the fishing trip if you make it happen!

Ah, think he’s mentioned you before. I visited him at his Christmas office once years ago.