PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Owners expect the salary cap

SAUTO
02-27-2020, 08:27 PM
To go up 85 to 90 million minimum per year if the TV deals get done in the near future.

Like by the 2021-22 season.

And also verderame tweeted that he talked to steinberg who stressed the importance of getting pat what he deserves but managing that with keeping talent on the team. “ A QB’s greatness is measured in Super Bowls"

Jones stays.

RunKC
02-27-2020, 08:30 PM
On Terez Paylor yahoo pod, Charles Robinson said he’s heard it’s possible that the salary cap could double within 10 years. That’s how crazy this is

Pasta Little Brioni
02-27-2020, 08:41 PM
BUT WE CAN'T AFFORD JONES!!! Been saying this for weeks this would happen.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
02-27-2020, 08:48 PM
BUT WE CAN'T AFFORD JONES!!! Been saying this for weeks this would happen.

Same here! There just gonna put the tag on him until the CBA gets figured out then boom long term deal. Just hang in there Chris. I know it’s tough on you but just a couple more months

BossChief
02-27-2020, 08:55 PM
It’s not going to go up that much that quickly.

I said a couple months ago it would hit 300m in 5 years or less.

Lol how are they getting to 85m jump in 1 year?

Pasta Little Brioni
02-27-2020, 08:57 PM
Probably not, but read between the lines that we have more than enough wiggle room to fit Jones in our long term plans.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
02-27-2020, 08:58 PM
Raises & roster increases

DaneMcCloud
02-27-2020, 08:58 PM

An $85 million dollar per team increase in Salary Cap means the owners are expecting approximately $6 Billion in additional TV revenues.

I would imagine that with the increase to 17 games, an additional Playoff Game during Wild Card Weekend, Streaming Rights to TNF and a new Rights Holder for Sunday Ticket would provide that type of bump.

That's all in addition to new network TV deals, which will undoubtedly be the largest in the NFL's history, along with ABC/ESPN wanting to jump in on the Super Bowl rotation, will send the cap soaring to heights never before seen for any sport.

Pasta Little Brioni
02-27-2020, 09:00 PM
Perfect fucking timing to keep a dynasty team intact...

BossChief
02-27-2020, 09:05 PM
An $85 million dollar per team increase in Salary Cap means the owners are expecting an additional $5.5 Billion in TV revenues (approximately).

I would imagine that with the increase to 17 games, an additional Playoff Game during Wild Card Weekend, Streaming Rights to TNF and a new Rights Holder for Sunday Ticket would provide that type of bump.

That's all in addition to new network TV deals, which will undoubtedly be the largest in the NFL's history, along with ABC/ESPN wanting to jump in on the Super Bowl rotation, will send the cap soaring to heights never before seen for any sport.

Well, damn.

I was told to be ready for a wild ride with the numbers I posted from a trusted friend back then.

I’m not sure an 85m jump is healthy for the sport and it’s players.

I guess they are expecting the overseas tv deals to be insane and legal gambling had to bring in more than ever anticipated....crazy.

Mahomes should push for a % of cap type deal.

dlphg9
02-27-2020, 09:06 PM
Hell we have about $16.5 mil in cap space right now and with a few simple cuts we can get to about $50 mil in cap space pretty easy if using Spotracs numbers.

Watkins -$14 mil
LDT - $5 mil
Okafor - $3 mil
Erving - $4.7 mil
Sorenson - $3.8 mil
Colquitt - $2 mil

That puts us at $49 mil in cap space and all we have to do is replace a few guys that can pretty easily be replaced with guys in the draft or with guys on the roster/practice squad.

Then if you can restructure Kelce, Mathieu, Fisher, Schwartz and Hitchens deal and Im not too savvy with restructuring and what it can do to cap space, so ill say cut their cap hits in half, that gives us another $32 mil in cap space, so $81 mil in cap and thatd be plenty to sign Mahomes and Jones long term with smallish cap hits the first year and then next year the cap goes up pretty substantially and also stupid fuck Eric Berry isn't costing us anymore. He has a dead cap hit of $8 mil.

I think we can keep Jones easy even if we pay Pat this year. Im pretty sure there are way too many idiots on this site that just want to get rid of Jones for some ignorant ass reason.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
02-27-2020, 09:07 PM
Don’t restructure Kelce but actually extend him. Eh Okafor I like tbh. He’s a solid DE. Was very good till he was injured. And is the time of the year where every year people ask Sorenson to be cut from this team? Have we reached that stage yet

BossChief
02-27-2020, 09:10 PM
I’m blown away if that’s true.

I’ve been preaching that Veach and Clark have conversations (Clark is on the finance board) about the future of the cap and that’s why this is the offseason to load up and “kick the can” but I was under the idea the cap would go up by 25-30m per year.

85 is going to change everything.

SAUTO
02-27-2020, 09:10 PM

It would coincide with the tv deal starting.

And that’s what they believe to be the minimum.

Remember when Clark said they were waiting on the right time?

O.city
02-27-2020, 09:12 PM
Sauto are you gonna get your phone fixed?

SAUTO
02-27-2020, 09:14 PM
I’m blown away if that’s true.

I’ve been preaching that Veach and Clark have conversations (Clark is on the finance board) about the future of the cap and that’s why this is the offseason to load up and “kick the can” but I was under the idea the cap would go up by 25-30m per year.

85 is going to change everything.

I’ve heard it from a good source. And he said they are planning for 85 but think they are leaving room to work with in that estimation.

That’s basically what they are keeping in mind for possible deals at this point. They’ve made some weird contract decisions the past couple years and this is why. ( not the chiefs) there’s going to be plenty of money in their minds

dirk digler
02-27-2020, 09:19 PM
That is why I have been advocating for keeping Jones and not worrying about Mahomes contract.

ghak99
02-27-2020, 09:19 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Spoke with Patrick Mahomes’ agent, Leigh Steinberg, this morning.<br><br>I joked about extension being easiest of his career. Steinberg made point of getting Mahomes what he deserves while ensuring Chiefs can maintain a good roster.<br><br>“Quarterback greatness is judged by Super Bowls.”</p>&mdash; Matt Verderame (@MattVerderame) <a href="https://twitter.com/MattVerderame/status/1233027322690908162?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 27, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

One of the articles commenting on the team friendly deal potential.

https://www.12up.com/posts/chiefs-patrick-mahomes-agent-leigh-steinberg-contract-extension-update-01e23gwrwnke/partners/40734?fbclid=IwAR1NRJx9un5J-HVsKCGG4RboH83CGDCEmYM66yAWFS3YNSR4MLICjSSVWT8

Pasta Little Brioni
02-27-2020, 09:24 PM
That is why I have been advocating for keeping Jones and not worrying about Mahomes contract.

The informed ones have all been doing that...

BossChief
02-27-2020, 09:30 PM
Honestly, I’d probably still trade Watkins if we can get a third.

staylor26
02-27-2020, 09:34 PM

I highly doubt it.

Chiefs=Champions
02-27-2020, 09:50 PM
I wonder if signing Pat early in the new cap will actually work out heavily in our favor. I imagine contracts later on will go up exponentially while the early ones may still be compared to players in the current salary cap.

TomBarndtsTwin
02-27-2020, 11:39 PM
Wow.

IF this is really true, the Chiefs can resign Jones, Fuller & Breeland (just heavily backload the deals), restructure Sammy (give him a few more years and some bonus money), add some FA interior O-Linemen to help out and start working on that Mahomes extension sooner rather than later.

Complete game changer if the cap IS really going up that much in the next couple years!

BlackOp
02-27-2020, 11:53 PM
It's a good time to have a stacked roster...you'll be able financially keep it in tact.

Couple that with a generational QB/HOF HC coach...and have your "pick of the litter" with FAs chasing a ring...

Is anyone going to be able to catch KC? Their only hope was Mahomes' impending record contract destroying the team...which doesn't look to be happening.

Dynasty in the making? It really is a perfect storm...influx of a shit-ton of new $$ for players that actually deserve it.

I do think ...with players making a lot more $$$, quickly...that the NFL with experience an epidemic of star players retiring earlier.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
02-28-2020, 07:24 AM
If PMII was available to all 32 teams. All could swing it at 5 years 200 million. I think there is a fair chance. At least a couple would be to cheap & short sided to do it

SAUTO
02-28-2020, 07:59 AM
Well, damn.

I was told to be ready for a wild ride with the numbers I posted from a trusted friend back then.

I’m not sure an 85m jump is healthy for the sport and it’s players.

I guess they are expecting the overseas tv deals to be insane and legal gambling had to bring in more than ever anticipated....crazy.

Mahomes should push for a % of cap type deal.

i asked and was told gambling has nothing to do with these projected numbers. this is all from what they think TV deals will go up.

kccrow
02-28-2020, 08:09 AM
I'm not fully buying it.

ESPN is signed through 2021
DirectTV, Fox, CBS, and NBC are signed through 2022.

Are they ripping up contracts? I doubt it. Will they begin negotiating extensions? Undoubtedly, now. But to see an immediate 85 million increase in the cap? Extremely doubtful.

To see an 85 million increase in the salary cap, you'd have to basically double that as an increase per team in media revenues, or 170 million. Each team currently gets about 255 million. That means that media revenues have to jump from around 8.16 billion to 13.6 billion per year immediately. Television revenues only account for about 5.5 billion of the 8.16 billion in media revenues. That means we should expect minimum growth to 9.1 billion for TV contracts but I'd have to expect higher given that I wouldn't foresee equivalent growth in other media segments. A jump from 5.5 to 9.1 billion would be a 66.7% increase, nearly 10% higher on average than the last increase.

I wouldn't put a wager on the increase happening in 2020. It might happen in 2023.

O.city
02-28-2020, 08:20 AM
While that's great, you guys know as the money goes up, so does contracts? I mean it's always great to have more money, but players will just get more of it. It is what it is.

Wallcrawler
02-28-2020, 08:23 AM

And just which literal butt fucking moron GM wants to prove his idiocy by trading for a player he knows the team cannot afford?

Watkins has zero trade value at his number. He had 4 good games last year with many who could not wait to see him gone.

pugsnotdrugs19
02-28-2020, 08:25 AM
Mahomes wants to win rings, his agents have made that clear

He’s gonna get paid big but it isn’t going to be what he could get if he wanted it all

The Franchise
02-28-2020, 08:26 AM
While that's great, you guys know as the money goes up, so does contracts? I mean it's always great to have more money, but players will just get more of it. It is what it is.

This.

And you’re going to see teams that have over $100 million in cap space that have to use it. So say goodbye to the guys that actually hit FA every year.

O.city
02-28-2020, 08:29 AM
This.

And you’re going to see teams that have over $100 million in cap space that have to use it. So say goodbye to the guys that actually hit FA every year.

That's why i'm kinda on keeping Jones. You just don't let players like that go. Guys like Fuller and such I feel like are out there every year and will get paid on the market.

O.city
02-28-2020, 08:31 AM
Mahomes wants to win rings, his agents have made that clear

He’s gonna get paid big but it isn’t going to be what he could get if he wanted it all

That sounds great, but until it's actually done, …..eh I'm skeptical.

SAUTO
02-28-2020, 08:33 AM
Sauto are you gonna get your phone fixed?

ive got one in a box somewhere LMAO.

O.city
02-28-2020, 08:35 AM
ive got one in a box somewhere LMAO.

Dude haven't talked in forever, get your shit together and get back on the group.

SAUTO
02-28-2020, 08:36 AM
I wouldn't put a wager on the increase happening in 2020. It might happen in 2023.

it's not happening in 20. never said that

SAUTO
02-28-2020, 08:37 AM
Dude haven't talked in forever, get your shit together and get back on the group.

honestly thats the only thing i miss about that fucking thing.

O.city
02-28-2020, 08:39 AM
honestly thats the only thing i miss about that ****ing thing.

We won the damn superbowl and lived it thru that chat and you weren't there!

pugsnotdrugs19
02-28-2020, 10:45 AM
That sounds great, but until it's actually done, …..eh I'm skeptical.

Mahomes has positively blown us away in every imaginable way thus far, I just expect his competitiveness to shine through with the contract. I get it somewhat if he wants the mega deal but I think its pretty clear that winning is his top priority.

Plus, with all these endorsement and winning even more, dude is going to make so much money without the contract that it doesn’t even matter all that much.

Perineum Ripper
02-28-2020, 11:35 AM
honestly thats the only thing i miss about that fucking thing.

I’m going to drive over and set that fucking phone up. You are missing out on some good talks

SAUTO
02-28-2020, 12:20 PM
I’m going to drive over and set that fucking phone up. You are missing out on some good talks

ROFL.

ill see if i can find it this weekend.

kccrow
02-28-2020, 12:25 PM
it's not happening in 20. never said that

The "pay Jones" crowd certainly thinks that's the case.

Your post states 2021-2022, neither of which will be the case either.

You'll see a modest jump in 2022 when ESPN renews. The rest in 2023.

Pasta Little Brioni
02-28-2020, 12:37 PM
Old crow at it again :spock: you realize he has LEGIT sources,right. Multiple people here have ties to NFL teams

Chief Northman
02-28-2020, 12:42 PM
Why are so many of you presuming the CBA gets done?

The longer it takes for the vote to get to the players, the easier it becomes for "stars" to poison the well as to how this is a "bad deal" for the NFLPA.

The players are very much divided, and the upper echelon are using their platform to intimidate players with less acumen and experience to vote against the deal.

FloridaMan88
02-28-2020, 12:43 PM
Perfect ****ing timing to keep a dynasty team intact...

Similar to when Golden State capitalized on the massive increase in salary cap/TV revenues in the NBA to sign Durant.

kccrow
02-28-2020, 12:44 PM
Old crow at it again :spock: you realize he has LEGIT sources,right. Multiple people here have ties to NFL teams

I don't give a fuck what he has. It's not happening until the current contracts expire. Do you think the networks are going to voluntarily pay more than the contract amount through 2022?

The new deals will be negotiated now, that much is true, and they very well may cause an 85 million bump (not unreasonable) in cap room but they won't go into effect until 2023. You continue to show yourself as one of the board's finest thinkers.

ModSocks
02-28-2020, 12:45 PM

Exactly.

I see PGM(?) running around celebrating, but he's missing the fact that all this really means is that players will demand a higher % of that cap.

A new CBA just means contracts will be larger. That's it. Chris Jones will still eat up the same % of the cap, only his dollar figure will change. And the only person who should care about that is Chris Jones.

To the team and to us fans, it matters not.

Pasta Little Brioni
02-28-2020, 12:45 PM

The longer it takes for the vote to get to the players, the easier it becomes for "stars" to poison the well as to how this is a "bad deal" for the NFLPA.

The players are very much divided, and the upper echelon are using their platform to intimidate players with less acumen and experience to vote against the deal.

The majority of players benefit big time. To them that extra 100k means as much as it would us normal people.

Pasta Little Brioni
02-28-2020, 12:47 PM
I don't give a fuck what he has. It's not happening until the current contracts expire. Do you think the networks are going to voluntarily pay more than the contract amount through 2022?

The new deals will be negotiated now, that much is true, and they very well may cause an 85 million bump (not unreasonable) in cap room but they won't go into effect until 2023. You continue to show yourself as one of the board's finest thinkers.

Have another swig of Grandpas cough syrup

dlphg9
02-28-2020, 12:51 PM
I'm not fully buying it.

ESPN is signed through 2021
DirectTV, Fox, CBS, and NBC are signed through 2022.

Are they ripping up contracts? I doubt it. Will they begin negotiating extensions? Undoubtedly, now. But to see an immediate 85 million increase in the cap? Extremely doubtful.

To see an 85 million increase in the salary cap, you'd have to basically double that as an increase per team in media revenues, or 170 million. Each team currently gets about 255 million. That means that media revenues have to jump from around 8.16 billion to 13.6 billion per year immediately. Television revenues only account for about 5.5 billion of the 8.16 billion in media revenues. That means we should expect minimum growth to 9.1 billion for TV contracts but I'd have to expect higher given that I wouldn't foresee equivalent growth in other media segments. A jump from 5.5 to 9.1 billion would be a 66.7% increase, nearly 10% higher on average than the last increase.

A 10% increase from the previous increase doesnt seem absurd whatsoever. Id expect at least that and id expect that even if they werent adding an extra week and 2 more playoff games, so when you take into account 16 more games as well as 2 more playoff games. Those 2 playoff games also include the number 2 seed, so it'll be a much better candidate for a prime time game. Another big difference is the 1.5% increase in revenue sharing for the players.

When you take all of that into account a massive increase in the salary cap doesn't seem absurd at all. Heres an excerpt from an article from the Chicago Tribune after last years SB

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ct-spt-nfl-revenue-super-bowl-20190128-story.html%3foutputType=amp

"Ganis, the consultant, said the NFL will do much better. He expects the league's next TV deals to yield increases in excess of 50 percent. On top of that, he expects a new billion-dollar package of games will go to a digital distributor such as Amazon, which currently pays $50 million a year to show "Thursday Night Football." Amazon Chief Executive Officer Jeff Bezos personally held talks with Goodell about the Thursday night package, which helped the league boost online viewing by 86 percent."

So things are about to get a bit crazy with the cap in the next couple years. If Veach can structure contracts the right way and im pretty confident that he can, then we can afford to sign Jones long term, extend Mahomes, and even sign a couple other guys.

Another thing to consider is guys are going to be expecting larger contracts because of the increased revenue sharing. I don't think there is anyway that Mahomes signs for less than $40 mil because of how much the salary cap should increase and he will be playing an extra regular season game every year. Id also expect Jones to be the highest paid defensive player for at least a little while, because the circumstances are different than when Mack and Donald signed.

kccrow
02-28-2020, 12:55 PM
Have another swig of Grandpas cough syrup

Truly fucking retarded.

I know Steve Mariucci personally. He just came back home for the ski jumps, stopped at his buddies house and shoveled her drive out. Does me knowing him give anything I say more credence? Absolutely fucking not. If he tells me something is it gospel? Nope. Same as anyone else's so-called fucking sources.

Now what you don't understand, my "special" friend, is that there are CONTRACTS IN PLACE THROUGH 2021 FOR ESPN AND 2022 FOR ALL OTHER MAJOR NETWORKS. Therefore, little buddy, you WILL NOT see an increase in the cap due to increased media revenues until renewal contracts are in place and in the years that extend beyond the current contracts.

staylor26
02-28-2020, 12:58 PM

Umm maybe because based on all the reports it’s a sure thing?

dlphg9
02-28-2020, 01:11 PM
Umm maybe because based on all the reports it’s sure thing?

The owners knew how to get this thing to pass. None of these players that are getting close to league minimum are going to vote no because these stars don't think they're getting enough. Its such a huge benefit for these guys they are probably getting pissed they havent voted it in yet lol.

staylor26
02-28-2020, 01:16 PM
The owners knew how to get this thing to pass. None of these players that are getting close to league minimum are going to vote no because these stars don't think they're getting enough. Its such a huge benefit for these guys they are probably getting pissed they havent voted it in yet lol.

Exactly. 0% chance this doesn’t get done.

SAUTO
02-28-2020, 02:05 PM

thats what it looks lto me from the outside too...

but teams are expecting it to bump up drastically sooner rather than later. some teams have been doing contracts based on this thinking for at least 2 years.

veach told jones he will get his before last season.

clark hunt says the right time for mahomes will be in the next 12-15 months...

it's going to blow up and faster than what outsiders think. and thats not just MY opinion. thats coming from a guy who knows how all that shit works more than anyone on any message board knows.

SAUTO
02-28-2020, 02:07 PM

21-22 is the same season. (season after next)

22-23 is another.

now it may go up 50m in 21-22 and another 50 (or more)in 22-23.

suzzer99
02-28-2020, 02:19 PM
Salary cap going up means we need to sign Mahomes and Jones soon so their contracts look cheap. It doesn't help once it goes up because that just drives up the price of all available players.

SAUTO
02-28-2020, 02:39 PM
Truly fucking retarded.

I know Steve Mariucci personally. He just came back home for the ski jumps, stopped at his buddies house and shoveled her drive out. Does me knowing him give anything I say more credence? Absolutely fucking not. If he tells me something is it gospel? Nope. Same as anyone else's so-called fucking sources.

Now what you don't understand, my "special" friend, is that there are CONTRACTS IN PLACE THROUGH 2021 FOR ESPN AND 2022 FOR ALL OTHER MAJOR NETWORKS. Therefore, little buddy, you WILL NOT see an increase in the cap due to increased media revenues until renewal contracts are in place and in the years that extend beyond the current contracts.

what team does mooch work for? how many players has he signed to contracts in the past 2 years?

and i'm not just going by what he's told me, i'm also looking at what he's done with the team he's with. Many people (myself included)thought they were making HUGE mistakes in regards to the salary cap, but they were never worried at all. he always laughed and said "you'll see". now he's explained why.

but he could be bullshitting me just so i could tell you guys and look stupid later i guess ( he's never done that before and i know he doesnt give a flying fuck what you guys think)

Megatron96
02-28-2020, 02:41 PM
Veach seems to think he can sign Mahomes, Watkins, and Jones to long-term contracts over the next 12 to 18 months. If he's not blowing smoke, he has to be thinking that the CBA will get approved, otherwise where would he get the money?

SAUTO
02-28-2020, 02:41 PM
i mean we have 13m in cap room and veach told jones to show up and he would get paid and clark is not shy at all about saying mahomes will be the highest paid player in football. he's the guy who is pumping this CBA through. do you REALLY think he doesnt expect the bump in cap to cover those 2 and more?

SAUTO
02-28-2020, 02:44 PM
Veach seems to think he can sign Mahomes, Watkins, and Jones to long-term contracts over the next 12 to 18 months. If he's not blowing smoke, he has to be thinking that the CBA will get approved, otherwise where would he get the money?

the CBA is going to get approved (at least in the owner's minds). when the union leader says it's passing it's probably going to pass. IIRC almost 60% of players will see a double in their salaries. they are most likely ngoing to vote yes and all the owners need is 50%+1.

which is why the highest paid guys are crying. they arent getting much. but why does a guy making 100m plus need anything more( which is how the bottom heavy player's association feels)

kccrow
02-28-2020, 03:15 PM
what team does mooch work for? how many players has he signed to contracts in the past 2 years?

and i'm not just going by what he's told me, i'm also looking at what he's done with the team he's with. Many people (myself included)thought they were making HUGE mistakes in regards to the salary cap, but they were never worried at all. he always laughed and said "you'll see". now he's explained why.

but he could be bullshitting me just so i could tell you guys and look stupid later i guess ( he's never done that before and i know he doesnt give a flying fuck what you guys think)

I said it to make a point that I frankly don't give two fucks about who people know on this board. I know a former coach and analyst, big shit. That was the point.

As for your boy "in the know," he's right on it going up... eventually. That isn't some fucking secret. The average percent that it went up last time was 58%. He's projecting about 67% with the number you gave and I showed that already. He's not nostrafuckingdamus and he isn't putting any real information out there anyone with half a brain for finance can't figure out. That said, there isn't a magic wand that eliminates the current contracts. They run through the completion of those seasons. It's not some rocket science logic here. You want to shit down the neck of one of the few people on this board that not only understand finance and does it as a profession, but also understands the NFL's salary cap and finances? Go right ahead, I give zero fucks but you'll get the same lack of respect.

Your boy is right, we shouldn't worry about the long-term of contracts. It's the immediate term. ESPN's deal amounts to about 1/3 of the TV revenues and renews sooner than the rest. There should be a decent bump after the 2021 season. That's two years out from right now. But hey, let's prognosticate that in two years we'll get a nice little bump of roughly $30 million in cap space. That's two years of Chris Jones we have to manage and one year of Mahomes (and I don't worry as much about 2021). Can they be fit in? Absofuckinglutely. Anyone can be fit in. You're still not getting help with that until the bumps happen. So, who you cutting?

Cut Watkins? Easy. You have enough for Jones and then enough remaining cap to sign ERFAs, sign about 5 million in salaries (basically your vet min guys), sign your draft class, and keep enough money for potential injury needs for 2020. You haven't brought back anyone else of significance and don't have enough draft capital to fill the voids. For every single player you cut and realize cap savings on, you have to also replace that player. So all the Dan Sorensen and LDTs of the world are great cuts on paper. Cut LDT and sign a guard for a couple million and a CB for a couple million. Awesome. Not sure you're making any significant gain there. You're getting a Cam Erving level guard and probably a Claiborne level CB. Woo.

I don't care if the Chiefs re-sign Jones or not, honestly. He's good enough I'd sign him if it makes sense. He's also not a guy I feel like the Chiefs have to retain. Let's not act like KC didn't win playoff games without him and that he's irreplaceable. For everything he brings as a pass rusher, he's also a liability in run defense. Can you get enough pass rush skills out of another player at a significant discount and sub for run downs with a guy like Pennel (if retained)? I think you can get a decent enough return that trading Jones is not as large of a detriment as made out to be. Plenty of quick-twitch, pass-rushing DTs in this draft for me to feel comfortable about it if Veach chooses that route.

The problem isn't really with Jones though, it's about everything else we lose and can't adequately replace. Not this year.

The Franchise
02-28-2020, 03:21 PM
Cut LDT - Start Wylie or Rankin. The replacement is on the fucking roster.

SAUTO
02-28-2020, 03:27 PM
i dont really know how i "shit down the neck" of anyone... BUT "my boy" knows more about this situation and the nfl's finances than any of us, you included( no matter what you think) and is MUCH more linked in on this situation than you. just sayin. and "my boy" knows exactly whats being expected from the TV deals right now, do you?

you're arguing about the difference of 1 year here basically.

either way within 3 years it's going to go up 100m. does that make you happy?

RunKC
02-28-2020, 03:32 PM
How could anyone think we can’t keep Chris Jones with a salary cap rise like this?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Multiple league sources tell <a href="https://twitter.com/FanSided?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@FanSided</a> the NFL salary cap could potentially reach $240 million in 2021. <br><br>The 2020 projected cap is $200M and could settle as high as $204M depending on a few factors.</p>&mdash; Matt Verderame (@MattVerderame) <a href="https://twitter.com/MattVerderame/status/1233460304773832704?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 28, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

kccrow
02-28-2020, 03:34 PM
Cut LDT - Start Wylie or Rankin. The replacement is on the fucking roster.

The way LDT played in 2019, I agree. Wylie and Rankin were equally as good. That said, it was a down year for LDT and he's shown the ability to be substantially better than both so I do question the impact of the injury. If the Chiefs don't believe it to be a long-standing issue, I'd much rather LDT out there than the others. I won't be the least bit upset if KC does exactly as you imply though.

dlphg9
02-28-2020, 03:38 PM
How could anyone think we can’t keep Chris Jones with a salary cap rise like this?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Multiple league sources tell <a href="https://twitter.com/FanSided?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@FanSided</a> the NFL salary cap could potentially reach $240 million in 2021. <br><br>The 2020 projected cap is $200M and could settle as high as $204M depending on a few factors.</p>&mdash; Matt Verderame (@MattVerderame) <a href="https://twitter.com/MattVerderame/status/1233460304773832704?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 28, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wrong! Just ask KCCrow. But dont get too close, Sauto shit down his neck.

mnchiefsguy
02-28-2020, 03:42 PM
As I recall, the baseball contracts with fox sports channel started about two years out and were in place by the next year, effectively voiding the last year of those deals.

None of the TV networks are going to want to go into a final year of a contract. If tearing up the final year is part of getting an extension, they will absolutely do it.

kccrow
02-28-2020, 04:07 PM
i dont really know how i "shit down the neck" of anyone... BUT "my boy" knows more about this situation and the nfl's finances than any of us, you included( no matter what you think) and is MUCH more linked in on this situation than you. just sayin.

you're arguing about the difference of 1 year here basically.

either way within 3 years it's going to go up 100m. does that make you happy?

He can be linked in all he wants, that doesn't change the fact of when the money will increase. Ask him specifically about when and how much. See if he can give you some answers on it, I'm curious to know what he says. Because, as I said, anyone with half a brain knows that the new TV deals are going to push the envelope. I think, personally, it's going to be a tad higher than what your buddy presents when all the renewals shake out. The biggest deals for TV time were in the range of a 73-78% increase last time. It was the smaller deals that evened it out a tad. I would easily accept that TV contracts alone will account for nearly $10 billion per year.

There's undoubtedly a lot of national revenue deals that will increase the cap that aren't as long-tenured as the TV deals, but they account for less than 1/3 of revenue and the "when" on those I don't have as much information on but they usually run longer than a single season. For instance, EAs licensing rights for Madden usually runs 5 years. Most major retail licenses run for 3 years. If half of that 1/3 renews in 2020, I'd call it lucky. If that were the case, all other things equal, and that 1/6 renewed at a 60% increase, we'd see a cap bump of around 12.5 million in 2020.

Overall, the biggest point is that 1-year matters; that is my biggest beef and what I'm most adamantly arguing. It matters on the Chris Jones deal and it matters how we handle the Mahomes situation. It matters how the Chiefs go about retaining talent. You still have to pay guys something. We all know KC can't retain everyone, but who and the structure is important. I don't see the increases in 2020 and 2021 that some others are projecting. Timing is everything.

Pasta Little Brioni
02-28-2020, 04:13 PM
Crow absolutely fucking owned again ROFL love it.

The cap is rising junior. You need to realize there are people that know FAR more about this crap than you...

kccrow
02-28-2020, 04:15 PM
Wrong! Just ask KCCrow. But dont get too close, Sauto shit down his neck.

Fuck off asshole, seriously.

And I have no problem with Run's post. It's not unreasonable. League revenues increase an average of 7% per year, as does the cap. That puts 2021 at $214 million. There could be enough national contracts that lapse and get renewed to have that much effect by then, but it isn't coming from TV deals and that's $36 million, not the numbers being thrown around.

kccrow
02-28-2020, 04:20 PM
Crow absolutely fucking owned again ROFL love it.

The cap is rising junior. You need to realize there are people that know FAR more about this crap than you...

Are you, honestly, mentally incompetent?

I wasn't owned, haven't been owned, and won't be owned about any of it. I never disagreed with the cap going up dipshit. It's how much and when. It's not going up this year more than the approximate 7% over last year. That's 1 dipshit. It's going to rise in 2021, more than 7%, but not 65% and not anywhere near it. 21% is realistic, and I've stated things about that in this thread that you couldn't possibly comprehend nor reproduce if your midget mind tried. It will again increase in 2022, rather significantly when ESPN's deal renews. It will increase the most in 2023 when the remainder of the TV contracts renew and, by then, all other national revenue sources should have renewed.

You're a fucking idiot of monumental proportions that I can't even begin to fathom describing.

Pasta Little Brioni
02-28-2020, 04:21 PM
Yup...pwnd

kccrow
02-28-2020, 04:27 PM
Yup...pwnd

Did playing too much Call of Duty teach you such an amazing and childish vocabulary?

You clearly understand none of this conversation. Go smoke a joint or something that you understand.

kccrow
03-15-2020, 08:14 PM
Who got fucking pwnd now Meatball.

Idiots.

eDave
03-15-2020, 08:16 PM
This is the kind of bump a girl would do.