PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Who Cemented Their Place in Chiefs History?

Megatron96
03-02-2020, 01:21 PM
This article posed what I thought was an interesting question. And immediately after the Super Bowl, I remember reading lots of opinions on just who should be the SB MVP, which player(s) deserved extra attention or kudos, etc., so I thought it might be fun to post this and see what we think in CP.

A look back at the players we’ll remember forever.

No matter what they do with the rest of their career, every single member of the 2019-20 Kansas City Chiefs roster will always be remembered. Every player made a contribution to the best season the franchise has seen in 50 years.

The size of contributions range from a single block on a play back in Week 2 all the way through to a Super Bowl-sealing interception. The importance of each differs, but each is part of the story of the 2019-20 championship season.

Some of these players will go on to get big pay days elsewhere this offseason, some will be cap casualties and some will move on to another team and possibly win a ring in another city, although we hope that the some that stay in Kansas City will be the ones stopping them from achieving this.

Some of the players and staff will take their stories with them all the way to Canton, whilst some will take their more modest place in Chiefs history.

All of them will live in our hearts forever.

Link of the full story provided below:

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2020/2/26/21139867/legacy-clinchers-who-cemented-their-place-in-chiefs-history-during-super-bowl-liv

I agree with most of the article, but I would also include Bashaud Breeland. His playoff performance was, IMO, outstanding.

Rain Man
03-02-2020, 01:32 PM
DaFace and I were talking about key plays the other day, and we acknowledged that every play is a key play in a Super Bowl.

I was particularly taken by a play in the fourth quarter where a 49ers receiver caught a ball in the open. Charvarius Ward was the only obstacle to a 50 yard touchdown, but he played it perfectly and drove the guy out of bounds. It'll go down as a 10 or 15 yard gain, but he flat-out saved a touchdown on that play.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
03-02-2020, 01:35 PM
Shady will be remembered for his fumbling. But I choose to remember the flip back from Kelce

MMXcalibur
03-02-2020, 02:09 PM
DaFace and I were talking about key plays the other day, and we acknowledged that every play is a key play in a Super Bowl.

I was particularly taken by a play in the fourth quarter where a 49ers receiver caught a ball in the open. Charvarius Ward was the only obstacle to a 50 yard touchdown, but he played it perfectly and drove the guy out of bounds. It'll go down as a 10 or 15 yard gain, but he flat-out saved a touchdown on that play.

Giving up a 10-15 yard gain? Piece of shit needs to ride the bench!

saphojunkie
03-02-2020, 02:16 PM
Honey Badger might be the only player in franchise history who could get into the Ring of Honor with one season of play.

big nasty kcnut
03-02-2020, 02:26 PM
Mike pennel made our run defense unstoppable! Derrick henry became a court jester.

TimeForWasp
03-02-2020, 02:39 PM
Kudos to Sorenson.

44yearsandcounting
03-02-2020, 02:41 PM
Sorensen’s open field tackle on the fake punt in the Texans game, and his shoulder first hit on Tannehill in the AFCCG, cement him in my mind, not as an all-time great, but certainly as a fantastic big-play glue guy. Pennel’s contributions won’t be forgotten, as a similar bit player. Damien Williams may never see Canton without buying a ticket, but he is a bright-lights legend as well.

R Clark
03-02-2020, 04:09 PM
Sorensen’s open field tackle on the fake punt in the Texans game, and his shoulder first hit on Tannehill in the AFCCG, cement him in my mind, not as an all-time great, but certainly as a fantastic big-play glue guy. Pennel’s contributions won’t be forgotten, as a similar bit player. Damien Williams may never see Canton without buying a ticket, but he is a bright-lights legend as well.

Yep

Stinger
03-02-2020, 04:21 PM
Sorensen’s open field tackle on the fake punt in the Texans game, and his shoulder first hit on Tannehill in the AFCCG, cement him in my mind, not as an all-time great, but certainly as a fantastic big-play glue guy.

Don't forget Dirty Dan's hit on the Kick off return that caused the fumble and lead to a us scoring a TD vs the Texans. IMO that was the play the broke the dam so to speak. Just scored off the tackle on the fake punt to make it 24-14 and then that play and the upcoming TD makes it 24-21. After that play I think everyone knew there was no stopping that team for that game.

rtmike
03-02-2020, 06:26 PM
But yet cp wants to cut DD.
Big mistake imo.

Mama Hip Rockets
03-02-2020, 06:37 PM
Honey Badger might be the only player in franchise history who could get into the Ring of Honor with one season of play.

Have you heard of Patrick Mahomes?

DaFace
03-02-2020, 06:58 PM
There are a ton of role players who will be fondly remembered even if they never play for the Chiefs game again:

Watkins
Damien Williams
Breeland
Fuller

And then there are the obvious team leaders that probably would have been fondly remembered anyway, but the Super Bowl guarantees it:

Mahomes
Mathieu
Kelce
Clark
Jones
Hill

Megbert
03-02-2020, 06:59 PM
DD also drilled Henry right in the thigh with his shoulder pads. I think that hit basically knocked the fire outta jerk. He simply wasn't the same after that.

Pennel was huge as well.

Fuller switching positions, came up big.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

Easy 6
03-02-2020, 07:43 PM
Kudos to Sorenson.

Good call, excellent role player who will almost certainly be back... he’s one of those types who’ll be willing to restructure in order to stay with a winner

BigRedChief
03-02-2020, 07:48 PM
There are a ton of role players who will be fondly remembered even if they never play for the Chiefs game again:

Watkins
Damien Williams
Breeland
Fuller

And then there are the obvious team leaders that probably would have been fondly remembered anyway, but the Super Bowl guarantees it:

Mahomes
Mathieu
Kelce
Clark
Jones
Hillas the MVP says..... they’ll talk about this forever.

eDave
03-02-2020, 08:33 PM
Matt Freakin' Moore.

Easy 6
03-02-2020, 08:37 PM
Matt Freakin' Moore.

That’s my backup QB/let the tears flow

Stryker
03-02-2020, 09:11 PM
Trent Green - God he tried!
The "Priest"
PMII
Kelce
Hill
Marcus Allen
The "Landlord"
O Taylor
Dawson
Gonzales

the list is endless!

Chiefspants
03-02-2020, 09:38 PM
A lot of attention goes to Ben Niemann for knocking Jimmy out of Florida (and rightfully so), but on the previous drive, Anthony Hitchens flat out trucked Jimmy on 2nd down, eventually helping force the 3rd and 14 that gave the ball back to Mahomes. Jimmy G never looked comfortable in the pocket after that hit and struggled with happy feet the rest of the game.

Hitchens took a lot of heat last year (as did the entire D), but I thought he was a consistent and solid contributor this year - that hit alone makes him an unsung hero in my book.

DRob took heat for his inconsistency in the playoffs - but he came up huge in Reek’s absence with clutch catches and pivotal touchdowns. He was the spark that set off Q2 at Oakland and we honestly might not have beat Baltimore without him. Those early season games ended up mattering just as much with us clinching the bye the last game of the year.

Rasputin
03-02-2020, 10:39 PM
We are going run out of room reveieling all the CROH after this decade

scho63
03-03-2020, 02:01 PM

Yep

Don't forget Dirty Dan's hit on the Kick off return that caused the fumble and lead to a us scoring a TD vs the Texans. IMO that was the play the broke the dam so to speak. Just scored off the tackle on the fake punt to make it 24-14 and then that play and the upcoming TD makes it 24-21. After that play I think everyone knew there was no stopping that team for that game.

He also made a great tackle on Derrick Henry by himself for a 5-6 yard loss that help keep momentum moving in our direction.

Chiefspants
03-03-2020, 02:03 PM
He also made a great tackle on Derrick Henry by himself for a 5-6 yard loss that help keep momentum moving in our direction.

We may as well throw out when he rocked Tannehill's reality in the Tennessee game. That was an amazing open field drill that wasn't going to get flagged while making Tannehill think twice before using his legs again (especially after he burned us in the regular season). Tannehill didn't look quite the same in the drive after that stick, either.

San Fran made it a point to pick on him and did so quite successfully in the SB (we really missed Thornhill in that matchup, I think), but Dirty Dan was an absolute stud in the games that got us there - and he deserves kudos for that.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-03-2020, 02:04 PM
Sorensen pretty much stole Henry and Tannehill soul with big hits on each. That supposedly tough Titan team was soft as shit.

Chiefspants
03-04-2020, 08:43 AM
Seriously, check out the absolute wood Hitchens laid on Jimmy G. in the second clip here. I still maintain that Jimmy was not the same after this hit. The next play was when Jimmy challenged Fenton and got laid out again after a pointless 3 yard run. Jimmy's decision making was just all over the place from this point forward (I'd be curious to compare Jimmy before the 2nd and 9 play and after).

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Not all plays that help collect stats. <br><br>Very next down, 2nd and 9, Jones wins immediately and forces Kittle to help. This aids in him completely missing Hitchens, who gets a free run at Jimmy G for a big hit as he throws. <a href="https://t.co/VVdwWe5MOQ">pic.twitter.com/VVdwWe5MOQ</a></p>&mdash; Seth Keysor (@RealMNchiefsfan) <a href="https://twitter.com/RealMNchiefsfan/status/1224535952091230209?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 4, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

tyecopeland
03-04-2020, 09:38 AM
For all the grief given to LDT, didnt it seem like all our pressure came over the niners RG too?

Chiefspants
03-04-2020, 10:13 AM
For all the grief given to LDT, didnt it seem like all our pressure came over the niners RG too?

Remember when all those Niners trolls (where'd they go?) said Chris Jones wouldn't have a place on their team? Good times.

R Clark
03-04-2020, 11:00 AM
Remember when all those Niners trolls (where'd they go?) said Chris Jones wouldn't have a place on their team? Good times.

So glad you brought that up! I got sick of reading 49er shit. Two weeks seemed like two yrs, reality hit them right in the mouth.

Megatron96
03-04-2020, 03:53 PM
Hitchens got a lot of shit this season, and for the first 6 weeks probably rightfully so. He made some plays in there, but his pursuit angles left a lot to be desired. Even when the defense started to turn things around, I can remember several plays where I just threw my hands up in frustration.

But after week 10, I have to admit his play improved. He not only consistently got the DL lined up correctly nearly every time, but his individual play improved. I remember at some point realizing that at the end of nearly every defensive snap, Hitchens was either making a tackle, in on the tackle, or was taking on a block so someone else could make the tackle. Somewhere around week 13 or so I stopped worrying about how Hitchens was going to play. Which was a nice feeling.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
03-04-2020, 04:03 PM
Thompson catching the ball & not sure what the hell to do with it...smile worthy for years