PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Automated Vaccums

Buehler445
03-03-2020, 08:47 AM
Seems as though technology has improved enough in this realm to take the plunge on some sort of machine. I know it doesn't eliminate the need to vacuum, but pushing the interval in which I need to vacuum is appealing.

Holy shit there are a lot of options out there. The comparison sites out there aren't a ton of help. As for what I'd be asking it to do, I have a dog, and the main floor of my house is (IIRC) 2400 sq ft. Most of it hard floors but 1 room with carpet. 2 kids worth of mess too.

Obviously I'm going to have to have the toys all picked up and a friend told me sucking up water is fairly catastrophic. I do have a room that has a cord on the floor. I may have to shut the door on that room.

Does anyone have any experience with these machines?

Doob02
03-03-2020, 08:59 AM
I have had multiple units for years.
I have used models such as Neato, iRobot, Deebot etc.

At this time I run 3 Deebots.
two model 600s
and a model N79.

Tips I can give.
Cords are something you want to highly avoid. The vacuum doesn't understand the need to stop running. Unless it is clogged or plugged. Typically it will fail something or the cord will get ruined I the process.
I have several rugs on my main floor. My neato's hate the dark colors (Blacks, darks) They think they are falling off a cliff/stairs. I have the sensors covered on the two that run my main floor.

The run great on hard floors and do a fair job of cleanings.
Always have spare parts and clean them nightly.

Donger
03-03-2020, 09:07 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fjRWHmvYTbM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mecca
03-03-2020, 09:08 AM
If you have pets......it will smear cat or dog shit all over the floor everywhere if one of them shits in the house and the vacuum gets to it before you.

Donger
03-03-2020, 09:10 AM
If you have pets......it will smear cat or dog shit all over the floor everywhere if one of them shits in the house and the vacuum gets to it before you.

LMAO

TLO
03-03-2020, 09:14 AM

LMAO

Fun!

Mecca
03-03-2020, 09:18 AM
It'll most likely ruin the vacuum and whatever part of the floor it drags it all over...a friend of mine let his run at night.

It led to throwing away a 500 dollar rumba and having to replace the carpet in an entire room.

Gravedigger
03-03-2020, 09:30 AM
We got an iRobot, third tier down from the top of the line model, for Christmas and we really don't run it all that often. The way my wife leaves laundry lying around in the bedroom it got caught up on a bra one time and we had to fish it out of there when we got home to allow it to go again. It will also run into water bowls pretty frequently for your pets, you can buy these little recievers that send a signal out around the water bowl that the iRobot won't go through, but we only got one with the vacuum so more would be an additional cost. It doesn't do a good job on carpets with our two cats and two dogs, it'll bunch up the hair into clumps on the floor, but then I''ll have to come around and clean them up with the real vacuum or by hand. It does well on hard wood floors from what I can tell, the edging feature is nice for around tables and staircase openings. It's okay, glad we got it as a Christmas gift and didn't throw down $500+ for a model ourselves. If I could go back I would've returned the model we did get, and bought the top end model that's like 40 times more powerful to see how that one handles carpets, but that's what iRobot wants you to do.

Mecca
03-03-2020, 09:35 AM
Your wife throws clothes everywhere, that would drive me insane.

Holladay
03-03-2020, 09:38 AM
Will the cat or dog ride on it? If so post a vid.

Holladay
03-03-2020, 09:40 AM
https://www.dyson.com/sticks/dyson-cyclone-v10-animal.html?istCompanyId=6a0b38f5-3d12-43da-a787-b6e37cc4e1e5&istFeedId=7573f1f8-1593-4b9e-bea2-de11ec38ff69&istItemId=wwrrpptpq&istBid=tztx&utm_source=google.com&utm_medium=paid_search&utm_campaign=us_en__floorcare__stick__do__dyson__na__na__Shopping__all__na&utm_term=PRODUCT_GROUP&ds_rl=1247056&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl-qd7dH-5wIVlfhkCh3STwSSEAYYASABEgJQhPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

On sale.

Love these guys. fast and easy. Also, you don't have to worry about dog poo.

Mecca
03-03-2020, 09:42 AM
https://www.dyson.com/sticks/dyson-cyclone-v10-animal.html?istCompanyId=6a0b38f5-3d12-43da-a787-b6e37cc4e1e5&istFeedId=7573f1f8-1593-4b9e-bea2-de11ec38ff69&istItemId=wwrrpptpq&istBid=tztx&utm_source=google.com&utm_medium=paid_search&utm_campaign=us_en__floorcare__stick__do__dyson__na__na__Shopping__all__na&utm_term=PRODUCT_GROUP&ds_rl=1247056&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl-qd7dH-5wIVlfhkCh3STwSSEAYYASABEgJQhPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Yea I already have this one....

https://www.dyson.com/uprights/dyson-ball-animal-2.html

The upside of the robot ones is well I don't have to do anything.

Beef Supreme
03-03-2020, 09:49 AM
How frequently do your pets shit in the house? Neither of my two dogs have EVER shit in the house. But apparently it's enough of a problem to influence vacuum buying decisions here on CP.

FlaChief58
03-03-2020, 09:50 AM
We've had one for 2 years and run it daily in our main living space (living room, dining room, breakfast nook and kitchen). We have 2 dogs, no kids with wall to wall tile. Like you said, it doesn't take the place of thorough cleaning, but it does a really good job with hair and sand (florida dirt). I have to clean it out every day which is kind of a pain, but other than that, I highly recommend it.

Edit: mine is an AILINK, not a roomba or irobot, but works well for our needs

Mecca
03-03-2020, 09:50 AM
How frequently do your pets shit in the house? Neither of my two dogs have EVER shit in the house. But apparently it's enough of a problem to influence vacuum buying decisions here on CP.

Cats tend to puke in the house...cause well mine our house cats so it can happen.

And even if it rarely happens, if your cat pukes while your at work and it's running or happens to shit outside of the box cause this can happen and the vacuum runs over it..you don't want an accident to turn into something that costs you a lot of money.

Beef Supreme
03-03-2020, 09:55 AM
Cats tend to puke in the house...cause well mine our house cats so it can happen.

And even if it rarely happens, if your cat pukes while your at work and it's running or happens to shit outside of the box cause this can happen and the vacuum runs over it..you don't want an accident to turn into something that costs you a lot of money.

Sounds like a good reason to not own a cat.

Lzen
03-03-2020, 10:01 AM
We first got one almost a year ago. It was this model.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F2D81JN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Amarey Robot Vacuum Cleaner for Pet Hair, Hard Floor, Carpet

It does a decent job. We have mostly hard wood but the kitchen is tiled and the 3 bedrooms are carpeted. We just close the doors to the bedrooms. It will do carpet but not as well. But it does well on tile and hardwood (or vinyl laminate. We have 3 boxers and while they may be short haired, they shed....a lot. While this may not eliminate vacuuming completely, it sure reduces the need quite a bit.

Also, we moved to a bigger house last Thanksgiving and so we had to buy another robot vacuum for the downstairs. It's a Shark ION (don't remember which model) that we bought for about the same price as the other one on a Black Friday deal. The downstairs is all luxury vinyl laminate type of flooring and the Shark does a decent job of controlling the pet hair.

I haven't paid attention to how long the Shark runs but I know the Amarey will run for something like 1.5 hours straight before needing a charge. As others have mentioned, keep cords up and out of the way.
We only run them either when we're home or if our dogs are put away in a bedroom while we're gone. Not that our dogs poop in the house but it is always possible and we wouldn't want to come home to that horror.

Overall, though, these things are fantastic. My friend, who has a $700 Roomba, tried to tell me that I should buy one of those several hundred dollar Roomba vacuums. Well, that is not necessary. You don't need to buy a super expensive Roomba. The cheaper ones that I have work just fine.

Sorce
03-03-2020, 10:05 AM
I have this one in my living room. https://www.amazon.com/eufy-BoostIQ-Super-Thin-Self-Charging-Medium-Pile/dp/B079QYYGF1/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=eufy&qid=1583251350&sr=8-4

I have an older model in my basement, both run every night. They work great for pet hair, you will need to clean the roller every couple weeks because it will get tangled with longer hair or threads.

Pablo
03-03-2020, 10:14 AM

Sounds like a good reason to not own a cat.

You just cursed yourself. Enjoy coming home to dog shit or puke sometime in the near future.

Rain Man
03-03-2020, 10:17 AM
Don't buy one that's larger than you are, because that's a tragic death just waiting to happen.

Mecca
03-03-2020, 10:19 AM
Don't buy one that's larger than you are, because that's a tragic death just waiting to happen.

Also, just because it cleans doesn't mean it replaces women so don't have sex with it.

kepp
03-03-2020, 10:23 AM

Absolutely. We narrowly missed a cat vomit incident last week.

kepp
03-03-2020, 10:24 AM
I have this one in my living room. https://www.amazon.com/eufy-BoostIQ-Super-Thin-Self-Charging-Medium-Pile/dp/B079QYYGF1/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=eufy&qid=1583251350&sr=8-4

I have an older model in my basement, both run every night. They work great for pet hair, you will need to clean the roller every couple weeks because it will get tangled with longer hair or threads.

If you have pets, get the Roomba with the rubber brushes instead of the normal ones.

MagicHef
03-03-2020, 10:53 AM
I've had 3, a Neato Botvac, a cheap knockoff, and now a Roborock S4. What I've found is that the laser room mapping makes a huge difference in the vacuum's effectiveness. The kind that just bounce off walls aren't worth it, IMO.

Bill Brasky
03-03-2020, 11:56 AM
I've had 3, a Neato Botvac, a cheap knockoff, and now a Roborock S4. What I've found is that the laser room mapping makes a huge difference in the vacuum's effectiveness. The kind that just bounce off walls aren't worth it, IMO.

This is exactly what I was going to post. You have to buy one with whole floor mapping or it's a waste of money. We found the Roomba i7 on sale for $400, and it's amazing. I can go into the app and create invisible walls on the first floor, and make virtual keep out zones so it avoids the tv cabinet cables. We have a dog and 22 yards of mulch in the backyard, but our floors are always clean now.

I want to get a second one for the second floor of the house.

https://www.amazon.com/iRobot-Roomba-7150-Wi-Fi-Connected/dp/B07GNRGDKP

Buehler445
03-03-2020, 12:42 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fjRWHmvYTbM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My dog sheds like a motherfucker, but doesn't shit in the house (I'm rolling with the jinx business because he just becomes an insufferable douche when he needs to go out).

dj56dt58
03-03-2020, 01:39 PM
We got a shark on sale from target a few months back and love it. Our new house is mostly tile and our dogs shed a lot. Never thought about the dog shit problem but my dogs are always in the kennel when we run it because they are all scared to death of it.

scho63
03-03-2020, 01:57 PM
It really is amazing how lazy we have become as human beings. I guess in the future they will even have robots to wipe your ass and clean it for you.

On a side note, why the hell would someone spend $699 or $799 or 899 on a Dyson vacuum cleaner? Are they using to just vacuum or sticking their weiner in their also?

That's crazy shit!

ptlyon
03-03-2020, 02:00 PM
It really is amazing how lazy we have become as human beings. I guess in the future they will even have robots to wipe your ass and clean it for you.

On a side note, why the hell would someone spend $699 or $799 or 899 on a Dyson vacuum cleaner? Are they using to just vacuum or sticking their weiner in their also?

That's crazy shit!

Not enough can be said about penile cleanliness

Beef Supreme
03-03-2020, 02:08 PM

That's crazy shit!

I just hire a maid. Haven't stuck my wiener in there.

Donger
03-03-2020, 02:09 PM
Do automated vacuums leave nice, parallel vacuum lines in the carpet? Or are they all just random?

Gravedigger
03-03-2020, 02:12 PM
Your wife throws clothes everywhere, that would drive me insane.

When it's her bra I'm less inclined to complain about it.

Sorce
03-03-2020, 02:52 PM

I mean I turn a knob and a jet of water blasts my ass clean, I don't have one that dries it so still gotta wipe my ass but you can get ones that air dry as well.

Shiver Me Timbers
03-03-2020, 04:02 PM
We have one of those whole house vacs.
The central canister is in the garage.
It has really good suction. I put a Bronco sticker on it

Frosty
03-03-2020, 04:14 PM
How well do these things do with picking up cat litter from a laminate floor?

https://pics.me.me/actual-photo-of-my-cat-leaving-his-litter-box-671-62499815.png

MagicHef
03-03-2020, 04:15 PM
Do automated vacuums leave nice, parallel vacuum lines in the carpet? Or are they all just random?

The mapping type do. The dumb ones are random.

Beef Supreme
03-03-2020, 04:57 PM

What kind of OCD shit is this?

Donger
03-03-2020, 04:58 PM
The mapping type do. The dumb ones are random.

Just like people.

MagicHef
03-03-2020, 05:03 PM
Just like people.

LMAO

Donger
03-03-2020, 05:21 PM
What kind of OCD shit is this?

OCD doesn't exist.

Couch-Potato
03-03-2020, 06:24 PM
I have a Eufy and it works great!

scho63
03-04-2020, 03:47 AM
I just hire a maid. Haven't stuck my wiener in there.

What are you waiting for Arnold? :D

Ribbs67
03-04-2020, 09:14 AM
I bought this one and love it! Not the top of the line Roborock but it does what you need to do. It does have a mopping feature thats basically dragging a water attachment with a pad below it. It does a good job vaccuming pet hair and works in a back and forth room learning pattern ( not random bouncing off walls). The mopping feature works ok for getting eid of paw prints..but wont scrub your floors for you. It can vacum and mop at the same time.. or separately. You cant create virtual walls ( which would be nice) but for the price I can live with that. I think you can build walls with placing magnet strips down. I cant confirm that tho, as I haven't tried it yet. Good luck

https://www.amazon.com/Roborock-Cleaner-Sweeping-Cleaning-Planning/dp/B07F8ZQDSZ

ghak99
03-04-2020, 10:11 AM

That's crazy shit!

I bought one because the thing that liked to run the $600 Dyson was really fun to stick my wiener in. :shrug:

ptlyon
03-04-2020, 10:18 AM
I bought one because the thing that liked to run the $600 Dyson was really fun to stick my wiener in. :shrug:

I TOLD YOU DON'T BOTHER ME WHEN I'M CLEANING MY ROOM!

Buehler445
03-19-2020, 10:42 PM
I ended up with a Shark IQ. I used to hate shark. My (now) Wife bought one in college that was complete trash, so I've stayed away. But this is a good rig. I bought it mostly after watching the Vacuum Wars channel Videos. Dude does a pretty good job of comparing.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Et_ROh1XICY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have a pretty good sized upper level. So it has a hallway and a bunch of different rooms to go through. It took awhile but I finally had some time to pay attention to it and it definitely figured it out. It has to start, then come back and charge then finish, but it does a pretty remarkable job for me doing nothing. You can't just set it and forget it - there are lots of places that catch dust and hair that will need to be cleaned over the long term, but man, it's a good rig.

This guy says its loud, but I ran it last night and the wife slept through it all.