PDA

View Full Version : Life Interstate Road Trip Tournament, Round 1, Heat 5.

Rain Man
03-12-2020, 12:56 PM
Just a little offseason exercise. There are 80 different Interstate highways in the USA (including Puerto Rico). Which one would be best for a road trip?

I've set the rules as follows (in spoiler for those of you who've read them already]:

I'm also including highways in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico that are essentially interstate highways, though they're not called that since they don't cross state boundaries.

It'll be a single-elimination tournament, though some will regain new life in wild-card spots to get the tournament bracket correct.

You get a minimum of 7 days on any highway, regardless of length. However, if the length requires more than 150 miles of travel per day, you'll get extra days until your daily mileage drops below 150 miles.

You may travel in either direction.

You may stop at attractions along the way, but at no point can you be more than 10 miles from the interstate.

You have the budget to stay at any hotel or dine at any restaurant within ten miles of the interstate.

You may spend multiple nights in any location but you cannot drive more than 250 miles in a single day. So you have to budget your driving time.

You may use any criteria you wish to make your vote. You can consider the driving lengths and conditions, scenery, attractions along the way, any outstanding warrants you have in that state, the likelihood of a Christie Brinkley clone waving at your from a Ferrari, or anything else you might wish to consider.

You can pick the time of year.

You can pick the vehicle that you drive. Assume that you're renting any vehicle that you could purchase for $50,000 or less (new or used). It can be different vehicles on different road trips, so you can customize to fit.

I'll post the basics of each route, but I don't see any specific website that provides a good description of the attractions that one would see along the route. You're on your own for that. Of course, you can do a google map view to see what your scenery is.

Your next two competitors are:

Option 1 - I-83 from Baltimore to Harrisburg
7 Day Trip
85 miles, 12 miles per day on average
Passes through York, PA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_83

Option 2 - I-86 from North East, PA to Windor, NY (North East is actually the name of a town.)
267 miles, 38 miles per day on average
Passes through Elmira and and Binghamton

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_86_(Pennsylvania%E2%80%93New_York)

Rasputin
03-12-2020, 12:57 PM
inb4poll

Rain Man
03-12-2020, 01:08 PM
This is a tough one.

Trip 1. I'd probably do 5 days in Baltimore since they've got museums and restaurants, and then drive straight through to Harrisburg to see the capitol building for a couple of days.

Trip 2. (Shrug.) I'd check out Lake Erie for a couple of days, and then find small hotels in small towns for a couple of days until I got to Binghamton. Then I'd spend a couple of days there, I guess. I'm not sure what you do there, but it's probably my best shot at entertainment.

Both have the potential to be pretty drives, I guess, and I bet that I-86 is more scenic. But I'll hang out in Baltimore and hope I don't run into Ray Lewis. I-83 for me.

Rasputin
03-12-2020, 01:10 PM
This is a tough one.

Trip 1. I'd probably do 5 days in Baltimore since they've got museums and restaurants, and then drive straight through to Harrisburg to see the capitol building for a couple of days.

Trip 2. (Shrug.) I'd check out Lake Erie for a couple of days, and then find small hotels in small towns for a couple of days until I got to Binghamton. Then I'd spend a couple of days there, I guess. I'm not sure what you do there, but it's probably my best shot at entertainment.

Both have the potential to be pretty drives, I guess, and I bet that I-86 is more scenic. But I'll hang out in Baltimore and hope I don't run into Ray Lewis. I-83 for me.

I'd be more worried Ray Lewis don't run into you! Know what I'm sayin?

WhawhaWhat
03-12-2020, 03:27 PM
Trip 1. I'd probably do 5 days in Baltimore since they've got museums and restaurants

I voted for this one strictly for the crab cakes.

Rain Man
03-12-2020, 04:11 PM
I voted for this one strictly for the crab cakes.

This is a good thought. Personally, I broke a tooth on a crab cake once (actually, twice) so I'm averse to them.