PDA

View Full Version : News I'm kind of a big deal...

Mahomes_Is_God
03-24-2020, 04:20 PM
The government has classified me and my work place as "essential". I just want all of you civilians sitting at home in quarantine to know that I will do my part to ensure that this great country remains operational. Your welcome and stay safe.

Why Not?
03-24-2020, 04:23 PM
The government has classified me and my work place as "essential". I just want all of you civilians sitting at home in quarantine to know that I will do my part to ensure that this great country remains operational. Your welcome and stay safe.

You work at an oil change place, huh?

KChiefs1
03-24-2020, 04:24 PM
https://media3.giphy.com/media/WpCKOBArVLTE8RjMIJ/giphy.gif

Mahomes_Is_God
03-24-2020, 04:24 PM
You work at an oil change place, huh?

CNC machinist

Mahomes_Is_God
03-24-2020, 04:25 PM

Thank you. Stay safe and god bless

Why Not?
03-24-2020, 04:25 PM
CNC machinist

That is actually pretty essential.

BigRedChief
03-24-2020, 04:27 PM
CNC machinistwhats a “CNC”?

Donger
03-24-2020, 04:28 PM

Please tell me there's "more" of that gif, particularly on the downward side...

Mahomes_Is_God
03-24-2020, 04:29 PM
whats a “CNC”?

Good question. It stands for "computer numerically controlled"

Baby Lee
03-24-2020, 04:30 PM
whats a “CNC”?

Computer Numerical Control.

Machined by a bit that is controlled by a servo, which is controlled by a computer that holds plans for the machined piece.

<iframe width="648" height="365" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/peuvASjUsJI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mahomes_Is_God
03-24-2020, 04:32 PM
Everybody who posts in here gets free rep. Bless you all

Donger
03-24-2020, 04:33 PM
Good question. It stands for "computer numerically controlled"

Do you write the code which controls the computer?

Mahomes_Is_God
03-24-2020, 04:34 PM
Do you write the code which controls the computer?

No, I'm too stupid to do that.

Bugeater
03-24-2020, 04:34 PM
I've classified my line of work as "essential" to me leading the life I want to live and I'm not asking the government for permission to do it.

Donger
03-24-2020, 04:35 PM
No, I'm too stupid to do that.

So how are you involved in the process?

BigRedChief
03-24-2020, 04:35 PM
Good question. It stands for "computer numerically controlled"I was “essential” for 12 years. Never got a damn thing out of it but more paperwork and grief.

Mahomes_Is_God
03-24-2020, 04:36 PM
So how are you involved in the process?
I'm a machine operator and I also am partially responsible for the quality control of the parts I run.

Donger
03-24-2020, 04:38 PM
I'm a machine operator and I also am partially responsible for the quality control of the parts I run.

How are you involved in the operation of the machine? Do you click a button to start the computer program? Do you change the "bits" or whatever they are called?

ThyKingdomCome15
03-24-2020, 04:38 PM
My company got the same. We remanufacture engines lol.

Mahomes_Is_God
03-24-2020, 04:41 PM
How are you involved in the operation of the machine? Do you click a button to start the computer program? Do you change the "bits" or whatever they are called?

Everything that involves operation. Running it, changing tools, making adjustments to the program, changing fixtures and zeroing parts in (set up), keeping the machine filled with proper fluids like coolant and oil, etc.

ModSocks
03-24-2020, 04:44 PM
My company got the same. We remanufacture engines lol.

Those of us who aren't "essential" but are classified as such should be grateful.

Hammock Parties
03-24-2020, 04:46 PM
I know a guy who makes margarine for a living.

He was also classified "essential."

Judging by your posts, assuming you drop the fries.

Donger
03-24-2020, 04:47 PM
Everything that involves operation. Running it, changing tools, making adjustments to the program, changing fixtures and zeroing parts in (set up), keeping the machine filled with proper fluids like coolant and oil, etc.

Neat, thanks. I bought an electric "chain saw" a few years ago to cut down a dead bush. I didn't read the instructions to see that oil was needed for the chain. I also didn't realize that "chain saws" don't like cutting through roots surrounded by dirt.

After changing the dulled chain, I also learned that making sure the new chain is properly tensioned is critical to safe operation of said "chain saw."

Demonpenz
03-24-2020, 04:48 PM
Cnc music factory will stay open to make sure our fans sweat.

ModSocks
03-24-2020, 04:49 PM

You know what isn't essential? YouTube content creators and amateur sports journalists.

Mahomes_Is_God
03-24-2020, 04:49 PM

Butter is essential as all hell

ThyKingdomCome15
03-24-2020, 04:50 PM
Those of us who aren't "essential" but are classified as such should be grateful.

IDK, if the plague goes through the shop and half of us die for the cause we may need to revisit this. (We got several people over 55 there.)

alpha_omega
03-24-2020, 04:53 PM
Grab some takeout after your shift.

TribalElder
You’re welcome

Hammock Parties
You know what isn't essential? YouTube content creators and amateur sports journalists.

Good thing I don't do any of that stuff for a living. :rolleyes:

Hammock Parties
03-24-2020, 04:55 PM
Butter is essential as all hell

Yeah, but margarine?

That stuff is vile.

Easy 6
03-24-2020, 04:56 PM
Can you 3D print me an AK47?

Hammock Parties
03-24-2020, 05:00 PM
According to a phone call I just got, FUCKING MICHAEL'S is still open...how is that place essential?

Either way I'm glad I get to pick up my framed Chiefs stuff soon.

LiveSteam
03-24-2020, 05:29 PM
whats a “CNC”?

Math

LiveSteam
03-24-2020, 05:33 PM
Can you run an old vertical Bridgeport or an old Southbend lathe?

chinaski
03-24-2020, 05:34 PM
For now, I am essential as well. Even have a letter from Homeland Security Cyber Infrastructure if I get stopped.

LiveSteam
03-24-2020, 05:36 PM
Q^^

Mahomes_Is_God
03-24-2020, 05:37 PM
I only run horizontals.

Zebedee DuBois
03-24-2020, 05:39 PM
My dog thinks I am essential, because I drop food on the floor from time to time.

I swear, she can hear me looking at cheese. I close the fridge door, and there she is - looking at me with expectation in her eyes.

Baby Lee
03-24-2020, 05:42 PM
Cnc music factory will stay open to make sure our fans sweat.

Bod up boppin doppin dweet du dottem dot dowwwwwww.

BigRedChief
03-24-2020, 05:44 PM
For now, I am essential as well. Even have a letter from Homeland Security Cyber Infrastructure if I get stopped.I stood up the tech in a lot of the Midwest airport offices back in the day when it first started. They gave me a “badge” that looked like a cop badge to go places in case of an emergency.

cripple creek
03-24-2020, 05:45 PM
CNC machinist

what doe a command and conquer machist do?:hmmm:

LiveSteam
03-24-2020, 05:45 PM
I only run horizontals.

You'd laugh your ass off at my little machine shop my Pops left me. Its old school tech. But It keeps my guns shooting and my steam powered toys running.

lewdog
03-24-2020, 05:46 PM
You can be essential and a piece of shit at the same time.

LiveSteam
03-24-2020, 05:49 PM
Back in the day, a tool & die maker was looked at, like todays atomic engineers are looked at

BigRedChief
03-24-2020, 05:50 PM
You can be essential and a piece of shit at the same time.like most of the civilian leadership that the “essential” people reported to. Military ones were for the most part some of the smartest leaders I’ve ever met.

Mahomes_Is_God
03-24-2020, 05:55 PM
You'd laugh your ass off at my little machine shop my Pops left me. Its old school tech. But It keeps my guns shooting and my steam powered toys running.
I mostly run older machines. Okuma 630h is what I spend most of my time on.

Beef Supreme
03-24-2020, 06:33 PM

Yeah, but they can work from home anyway.

Munson
03-24-2020, 06:38 PM
https://media.thedonald.win/thedonald/post/crMmvxNy.jpeg

LiveSteam
03-24-2020, 07:37 PM
I mostly run older machines. Okuma 630h is what I spend most of my time on.

I have a horizontal Change O Matic Atlas mill and a 10 inch swing lathe and 24 inch centers. Without a kwik change gear box.
She'll cut threads but it takes swapping out gear sets depending on thread you're cutting.
I just don't have room for bigger and better equipment.

Glad to see people are still making a living making chips.
Its an industry that has taken some big hits over the last 20 years.

IowaHawkeyeChief
03-24-2020, 08:03 PM
Congratulations... We're all counting on you!

Boxers11
03-24-2020, 08:21 PM
"What would you say it is that you do here???"

Bob Dole
03-24-2020, 08:27 PM
I'd feel a lot better if our designated "big deals" had grammar skills.

LiveSteam
03-24-2020, 08:29 PM

How did you get a pic in your avatar of Mahomes and Bob Devaney?
Photo shopped?

Easy 6
03-24-2020, 08:35 PM

He knows how to work with people DAMN YOU

TambaBerry
03-24-2020, 08:37 PM
Mine is considered essential because it's classified as infrastructure made me laugh

eDave
03-24-2020, 08:38 PM
My field is getting pummeled as captial spending and projects go on hold.

Boxers11
03-24-2020, 08:38 PM
How did you get a pic in your avatar of Mahomes and Bob Devaney?
Photo shopped?
That's Lenny Dawson...

LiveSteam
03-24-2020, 09:09 PM
That's Lenny Dawson...

You're kidding me..
Man he is spitting image of Bob in his later years

LiveSteam
03-24-2020, 09:11 PM
My field is getting pummeled as captial spending and projects go on hold.

You'll be fine.. This just a short term blip on the radar.

And if Im wrong?
You're more than welcome to join my gang of bank robbers.
The Livesteam gang. We rob from the rich and keep it all fuck the poor.

Bugeater
03-24-2020, 09:13 PM
My field is getting pummeled as captial spending and projects go on hold.Up until recently I was working for an auto dealership group that just opened a new $32M facility to sell BMWs, Land Rovers and Jaguars in January. How many people do you think are rushing out to make that type of purchase right about now?

cdcox
03-24-2020, 09:46 PM

Our former shop manager is an extremely talented old-school machinist. He could do some really precision work, using lathes and mills 30 to 50 years old. He could also think through a problem. You could sit down with him and describe in general terms what you wanted to build and he would talk you through it and come up with a way of doing what you wanted that you hadn't even thought of.

Our current shop manager is a CNC guy. We have bought a mill and a lathe in the last 3 years. He does all the programming. Very talented guy and we are lucky to have him. Before we bought the CNC equipment, he could struggle through the old school ways, but it wasn't his bag.

Two totally different approaches. I think it will be increasingly hard to find the old-school machinists going forward.

Baby Lee
03-24-2020, 09:55 PM
Our former shop manager is an extremely talented old-school machinist. He could do some really precision work, using lathes and mills 30 to 50 years old. He could also think through a problem. You could sit down with him and describe in general terms what you wanted to build and he would talk you through it and come up with a way of doing what you wanted that you hadn't even thought of.

Our current shop manager is a CNC guy. We have bought a mill and a lathe in the last 3 years. He does all the programming. Very talented guy and we are lucky to have him. Before we bought the CNC equipment, he could struggle through the old school ways, but it wasn't his bag.

Two totally different approaches. I think it will be increasingly hard to find the old-school machinists going forward.

Reminds of fun times, but utterly wasted times, in HS. Took 3 years of Latin, but that wasn't the wasteful part. Took 3 years of drafting, . . . with a pencil, and a ruler, and a blueprint machine.

Should have just written it off as art classes for the untalented.

I still have one of those bags that makes eraser crumbs in the back of my desk drawer, next to the precision compass.

LiveSteam
03-24-2020, 09:58 PM

Yup.. Them boys are all getting pretty old.

Ubeja Vontell
03-24-2020, 10:00 PM
I haven't been a real big deal since HS football, yep, miss it.

jerryaldini
03-24-2020, 10:07 PM
Are you the guy who stuck an ice pick in his thigh?

cdcox
03-24-2020, 10:09 PM
Reminds of fun times, but utterly wasted times, in HS. Took 3 years of Latin, but that wasn't the wasteful part. Took 3 years of drafting, . . . with a pencil, and a ruler, and a blueprint machine.

I still have one of those bags that makes eraser crumbs in the back of my desk drawer, next to the precision compass.

I took one quarter of drafting in HS. It was torturous. Fine-motor-hand-eye coordination has never been my thing. Flunked "cutting" in kindergarten and never better than a C in handwriting. Zero drawing talent. Even with T-squares and triangles, I could never get the lines to close cleanly.

In my first job (before academia) we worked with blueprints. I will never forget the smell or the damp feel of a freshly made blueprint.

LiveSteam
03-24-2020, 10:24 PM
I took metals class all 4 years.
Some of you will be shocked to know.
I graduated highschool.
True story.

KChiefs1
03-24-2020, 10:25 PM

Calm down big boy.
https://media0.giphy.com/media/SMshtoKCWiMyQ/giphy.gif

eDave
03-24-2020, 10:26 PM
Calm down big boy.
https://media0.giphy.com/media/SMshtoKCWiMyQ/giphy.gif

TinyEvel
03-24-2020, 10:46 PM
pinocchio voice...

I LOOK AROUND THIS BOARD, AND I SEE NOTHING BUT ESSENTIAL.

YOU ARE ESSENTIAL (nose grows)

points to other person

YOU ARE ESSENTIAL (nose grows some more)

OH DEAR...

srvy
03-24-2020, 11:10 PM

My Dad convinced me to take Drafting in HS. The teacher was just a total asshole was impossible to get past the border without picking you apart. I started my surveying career in 1977 for the Tuttle Ayer Woodward Co in KC. It was Tuttle and Pike previously the pretty much platted KC proper. The first engineering firm west of the Mississippi. They had old school Draftsmen before CAD. They were true artists incredible actually and the hand lettering wholly shit I miss it to this day. The stuff they taught you in HS didnt resemble draftmen in the trade it was a waste. You knew who drew it just by the north arrow that was their sig. I remember when AutoCAD hit about 40 draftpersons retired of left replaced by 10 AutoCad opperators.

vailpass
03-24-2020, 11:16 PM
In California marijuana dispensary workers are classified as essential. Not kidding.

srvy
03-24-2020, 11:25 PM
Tuttle and Pike and later TAW did all the Atlas Plates for KC proper. I always liked looking at the originals.

https://marcsuniqueantiques.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/218.jpg
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/awEAAOSwtaBb0eVG/s-l1600.jpg
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1359/4801/products/plate_NO_48_RIVER_MARKET.jpg?v=1536700760
1925 index page
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/d8gAAOSw8f9bzepN/s-l400.jpg

LiveSteam
03-24-2020, 11:29 PM
In California marijuana dispensary workers are classified as essential. Not kidding.

Lol

SuperBowl4
03-25-2020, 04:00 AM
Are you on the N95 mask assembly line?

Abba-Dabba
03-25-2020, 04:24 AM

Interesting you have these views. Yourself as a freedom loving conservative should be all about not shutting down businesses. But here you are, mocking those that shut down, then mocking those for not staying open.

I notice you don't include the rot gut swill now being served curbside in your disdain for keeping open a regulated businesses that employs thousands of people and serves hundreds of thousands of people with their medical/therapeutic/recreational needs.

Why is it okay to keep the tap of alcohol flowing but not cannabis?

Mahomes_Is_God
03-25-2020, 08:52 AM
Are you the guy who stuck an ice pick in his thigh?

Yes.

Bob Dole
03-25-2020, 10:52 AM
I took one quarter of drafting in HS. It was torturous. Fine-motor-hand-eye coordination has never been my thing. Flunked "cutting" in kindergarten and never better than a C in handwriting. Zero drawing talent. Even with T-squares and triangles, I could never get the lines to close cleanly.

In my first job (before academia) we worked with blueprints. I will never forget the smell or the damp feel of a freshly made blueprint.

My signature is the only thing I've written in cursive in 40 years thanks to drafting.

Wallcrawler
03-25-2020, 11:31 AM
I wasnt aware that thread policing was essential.

srvy
03-25-2020, 01:50 PM
My signature is the only thing I've written in cursive in 40 years thanks to drafting.

This
https://live.staticflickr.com/7296/11163897333_d79d803b71_b.jpg
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/GZRvQDMBEOE/maxresdefault.jpg
This
https://s3.amazonaws.com/pastperfectonline/images/museum_149/069/20090060112-2.jpg

And this
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/NbgAAOSw3DteELU-/s-l640.jpg

MahiMike
03-25-2020, 02:53 PM
Cool dude. Keep up the good work!

eDave
03-25-2020, 02:55 PM
Lol

So are liquor store workers. Not kidding.

But having searched this list, I don't find anything specific to dispensaries.

https://www.ktvu.com/news/the-complete-list-of-californias-essential-workers

But I only searched marijuana and dispensary so perhaps it's assumed under other essential roles. Namely healthcare.

Weather reporters are essential though.

BigRedChief
03-25-2020, 03:21 PM
In California marijuana dispensary workers are classified as essential. Not kidding.Yeah, back in the early 2000's there were <5000 "essential" labeled civilians. Not sure of the number now but I originally got the "Top Secret" clearance back then around that same time and that 5000 number was probaly close to the TS designation then, Now, there are over 1 Million Americans with Top Secret clearance. Probably even more now with the "essential" designation.

srvy
03-25-2020, 03:52 PM
Yeah, back in the early 2000's there were <5000 "essential" labeled civilians. Not sure of the number now but I originally got the "Top Secret" clearance back then around that same time and that 5000 number was probaly close to the TS designation then, Now, there are over 1 Million Americans with Top Secret clearance. Probably even more now with the "essential" designation.

https://media3.giphy.com/media/S9nXjRbge1UWYoA5iw/giphy.gif

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-y4GNJ3HqG4Q/Td52OrH0d8I/AAAAAAAABRg/W9AjQJ-lMHQ/s1600/DonAdamsPicture.jpg

jerryaldini
03-25-2020, 10:55 PM
Yes.

How's that healing up?