PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Matt Verderame: An Interesting Chiefs Free Agency Stat

Tribal Warfare
03-29-2020, 07:26 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">An amazing stat:<br><br>If <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Chiefs</a> re-sign Bashaud Breeland, they&#39;ll have every player under contract for 2020 who played at least 57 percent of their unit&#39;s snaps on the title team.<br><br>To my research, no team has returned every such player since at least the 2001 New England Patriots.</p>&mdash; Matt Verderame (@MattVerderame) <a href="https://twitter.com/MattVerderame/status/1244330425935433735?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 29, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Easy 6
03-29-2020, 07:28 PM
Run it back

FAX
03-29-2020, 07:53 PM
Why did Breeland go out of bounds on the pick?

Why?

Has anyone inquired? Anyone asked him what thought process was involved?

FAX

Great Expectations
03-29-2020, 08:01 PM

Why?

FAX

I’ve wondered about this a lot as well. I think he did it to avoid bobbling/dropping the ball. He should’ve been able to catch it and turn up field, but I think he did it to make sure he secured the catch.

KurtCobain
03-29-2020, 08:02 PM
2001/02 Patriots not a good comparison.

FAX
03-29-2020, 08:06 PM
I’ve wondered about this a lot as well. I think he did it to avoid bobbling/dropping the ball. He should’ve been able to catch it and turn up field, but I think he did it to make sure he secured the catch.

Speculative, but reasonable, Mr. Great Expectations ...

One would think that he is nimble enough to tightrope the boundary if necessary, but it felt like he wasn't even that close. The way I saw it, he had a good shot at scoring.

I'll watch it again a few hundred times in slow-mo ...

No. No, I won't. It pisses me off just thinking about it, let alone reliving it.

FAX

FAX
03-29-2020, 08:07 PM
2001/02 Patriots not a good comparison.

Because ...

FAX THE CURIOUS

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-29-2020, 08:09 PM
And what in the hell does this have to do with Bigfoot?

srvy
03-29-2020, 08:14 PM

Why?

FAX

Yeah I asked that in GDT and received a "big idiot his momentum carried him out no one could've stayed in."

I replayed it many times I think he just aad a brain fart.

Chiefshrink
03-29-2020, 08:41 PM
Yeah I asked that in GDT and received a "big idiot his momentum carried him out no one could've stayed in."

I replayed it many times I think he just aad a brain fart.

Nah, it was his angle and momentum before he caught the ball, look again. Quite frankly I think we stole one there because his left foot was clearly out of bounds but said he got control first before the left foot hit. Even IF his left foot hits inbounds he still goes out of bounds because you can tell by the momentum and angle there was no way he was tightrope walking that pic IMHO. Not trying to :Poke: either.;)

RealSNR
03-29-2020, 09:13 PM
Because ...

FAX THE CURIOUS

We're going to cut our version of Lawyer Milloy before the season starts, he'll go to the Raiders, and we'll get blown out in Week 1. Bye, Tyrann!

Wait, actually... no, that's not going to happen. Because our GM isn't a deranged tyrannical psychopath.

My bad.

Halfcan
03-30-2020, 12:21 AM
The Chiefs are having a great offseason so far.

tatorhog
03-30-2020, 06:15 AM
Going into a season with a possible shortened preseason, team continuity seems like a good thing

Rausch
03-30-2020, 06:18 AM
Going into a season with a possible shortened preseason, team continuity seems like a good thing

Possibly no season.

Two years straight baby!

mililo4cpa
03-30-2020, 06:21 AM
Interesting.....Kendell Fuller didn't play 57% of the snaps? I wonder if this is due to him actually being under 57% or the fact that he played some corner, some safety?

Brooklyn
03-30-2020, 07:08 AM
I remember many years ago in his Philly days that Coach Reid was teaching his players to get down and secure the turnover instead of fighting for more yards/showboating. A lot of guys that season were giving the ball up or not completing the play because they tried to do too much.

I think Reid’s message in the biggest game ever was that if you get a turnover, leave nothing to chance and end the play quickly. Knowing we have Mahomes and a killer offense it was a smarter play to take your chances of 100% keeping the turnover and going on O vs trying to take it all the way back and possibly having the ball knocked lose or some other factor reverse the outcome. His job was simply to get the ball, nothing more. I think if anything it showed supreme focus and dedication to doing all the small things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mecca
03-30-2020, 07:16 AM
Interesting.....Kendell Fuller didn't play 57% of the snaps? I wonder if this is due to him actually being under 57% or the fact that he played some corner, some safety?

He also missed like 4 games.

bowener
03-30-2020, 07:24 AM
This is a reason I'd hate to lose Watkins from the offense. We have Hill, Watkins, Williams, Hardman, Kelce, and Robinson coming back. The offense won't miss a beat. If we draft a starting caliber guard this offense might step up to a new level and pass the Greatest show on Turf, and whatever the fuck nickname Manning/broncos offense had.

Mecca
03-30-2020, 07:26 AM
This is a reason I'd hate to lose Watkins from the offense. We have Hill, Watkins, Williams, Hardman, Kelce, and Robinson coming back. The offense won't miss a beat. If we draft a starting caliber guard this offense might step up to a new level and pass the Greatest show on Turf, and whatever the fuck nickname Manning/broncos offense had.

Need an RB upgrade also...

But in reality LB is the worst position on this team.

Dunerdr
03-30-2020, 07:30 AM

i'd be thrilled if we went LB/corner round 1, lb/corner round 2, then linemen and rb.

Hoover
03-30-2020, 07:48 AM
i'd be thrilled if we went LB/corner round 1, lb/corner round 2, then linemen and rb.
and cross our fingers that the offensive line holds

bowener
03-30-2020, 08:28 AM

This is true for both. I am confident we will find a decent backup running back in late rounds or in the scrap heap after the draft. I have a feeling 2020 Chiefs is going to be closer to the 2018 team vs 2019 team. We will be involved in more shootouts than this season.

I haven't looked at draft prospects in a while, but last I saw there weren't a ton of starting quality MLBs projected for the end of round 1, however, there were a ton of combine workout warriors that are climbing the draft boards so maybe we luck into a stud falling to us. I'm guessing we end up with a starting quality DB at 32.

If we keep Watkins and Jones, my preferred draft would go:
1.LB - If there is no LB available I'd take the best IOL available
2.DB - Swap this for the best LB available if there isn't a worthy DB
3.OL - Still take OL here even if you took one in the first. Everything runs through Mahomes. Give Mahomes more time to throw and I'm not sure this offense could be stopped ever/give Mahomes a legit rushing attack to play with and I'm not sure this offense could be stopped.
4.RB - I'd also accept a worthy TE2, but I think the TE class was sort of ass this year. With that said if there is a guy that fits take him to learn from Kelce for the next 5 years to become the heir apparent. Kelce would be 35 at that point.
5.LB - Honestly, just take the BPA.

mililo4cpa
03-30-2020, 09:57 AM
He also missed like 4 games.

That would do it....

I guess my thinking is how big of a loss is Fuller really? if he didn't cumulatively play 57% of the snaps across the season, is it that big of a deal? Also, is that total snaps @ corner / safety combined, because he played a hell of a lot of safety once Thornhill went down....

I suppose the answer also hinges on whether or not the Chiefs ultimately retain Breeland or not as well...

kgrund
03-30-2020, 09:59 AM

You can't forget that he also missed games due to injury.

Mecca
03-30-2020, 10:12 AM
Kendall Fuller was a solid player, but the type of player you don't re-sign in the Chiefs spot, you replace him with a mid round draft pick, which Fuller himself was and start the cycle over.

Dunerdr
03-30-2020, 10:17 AM
and cross our fingers that the offensive line holds

well thats why i said then linemen, and rb. 3-4th round linemen for development/starters long term similar to ldt.

mililo4cpa
03-30-2020, 10:36 AM
Kendall Fuller was a solid player, but the type of player you don't re-sign in the Chiefs spot, you replace him with a mid round draft pick, which Fuller himself was and start the cycle over.

I think this is exactly where I'm at. Also, it's easy to say Ward is a young player, but he's really a young, experienced veteran now, Mathieu is a quintessential leader and heck of a player, so it's not like Fuller was the veteran leadership holding it all together.

saphojunkie
03-30-2020, 11:21 AM
This makes me much more interested in keeping Jones rather than getting draft picks. I'm still not sure how they do it, but with likely no OTAs, it will be HUGE to have that kind of roster retention while also returning every coach.

Tribal Warfare
03-30-2020, 11:57 AM
This is true for both. I am confident we will find a decent backup running back in late rounds or in the scrap heap after the draft. I have a feeling 2020 Chiefs is going to be closer to the 2018 team vs 2019 team. We will be involved in more shootouts than this season.

I haven't looked at draft prospects in a while, but last I saw there weren't a ton of starting quality MLBs projected for the end of round 1, however, there were a ton of combine workout warriors that are climbing the draft boards so maybe we luck into a stud falling to us. I'm guessing we end up with a starting quality DB at 32.

If we keep Watkins and Jones, my preferred draft would go:
1.LB - If there is no LB available I'd take the best IOL available
2.DB - Swap this for the best LB available if there isn't a worthy DB
3.OL - Still take OL here even if you took one in the first. Everything runs through Mahomes. Give Mahomes more time to throw and I'm not sure this offense could be stopped ever/give Mahomes a legit rushing attack to play with and I'm not sure this offense could be stopped.
4.RB - I'd also accept a worthy TE2, but I think the TE class was sort of ass this year. With that said if there is a guy that fits take him to learn from Kelce for the next 5 years to become the heir apparent. Kelce would be 35 at that point.
5.LB - Honestly, just take the BPA.

If you're going for an RB it has to be in the 1-3 rounds when looking for a feature back unless you want to get "lucky" especially when it concerns protecting Patrick don't mess around