PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Have we signed a new punter yet?

rabblerouser
03-31-2020, 11:36 PM
No freaking way we go into the season with Colquitt at that price. He needs to retire, we need a couple decent free agents to choose from...

Isn't Britton Colquitt a free agent?

thabear04
03-31-2020, 11:43 PM
Nope his brother got a three-year, $9 million contract extension with the Vikings.

Pitt Gorilla
03-31-2020, 11:44 PM
I was thinking about this today. The staff seems good at scouting the kicking game, so I'd hope they have their eyes out for some UDFA or FA guys.

Dunerdr
04-01-2020, 06:35 AM
dont we have jack fox on the ps?

UK_Chief
04-01-2020, 06:35 AM

Think we have Jack Shit

lawrenceRaider
04-01-2020, 06:39 AM
Don't the Chiefs have like $177 in cap space right now?

rabblerouser
04-01-2020, 06:44 AM

Something like that.

Colquitt got his ring, he was MVP in the Romeo Crennell and Herm Edwards eras.

Time for him to retire. How many punts did he have blocked last year?

InChiefsHeaven
04-01-2020, 06:59 AM
Something like that.

I've often wondered how blocked punts are in some way related to the punter...it seems to have more to do with the snap, or the blocking...

tyecopeland
04-01-2020, 07:33 AM
I'd rather colquitt take a pay cut because I'd like to get him another ring or two.

SuperBowl4
04-01-2020, 07:39 AM
And with the 32nd pick in the 2020 NFL draft, The Kansas City Chiefs select Joseph Charlton, Punter - South Carolina

BigRedChief
04-01-2020, 08:04 AM
Don't the Chiefs have like $177 in cap space right now?Thats with the $20 million in cap space that carried over from last year.

rabblerouser
04-01-2020, 08:24 AM
I've often wondered how blocked punts are in some way related to the punter...it seems to have more to do with the snap, or the blocking...

Blocked punts in the NFL are caused by a bad snap or poor getoff time, but most of the time, they are a result of a missed assignment, true.

The amount of increased blocks might be due to blocking or missed assignments, but I'm sensing a slower hitch in Dustin's getoff giddyup...

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-01-2020, 08:29 AM
We would only save 2 mil by cutting him

The Franchise
04-01-2020, 08:33 AM

The Lions signed him during the season last year.

rabblerouser
04-01-2020, 09:07 AM
We would only save 2 mil by cutting him

I'll take it.

Rausch
04-01-2020, 09:46 AM
No freaking way we go into the season with Colquitt at that price. He needs to retire

Shut your whore mouth...

Rausch
04-01-2020, 09:46 AM
I'll take it.

It would make more sense to cut Sammy...

ChiTown
04-01-2020, 09:48 AM

Which is plenty to sign a Punter.......

TinyEvel
04-01-2020, 10:08 AM
They should go down and scout someone from the Jamaican rugby team, some dude who is not practicing because the Olympic got cancelled, and so he's just out behind his house punting melons into an old trash dumpster 70 yards across the street from an empty farm.

Veach pulls up in a taxi. Talks to the guy for a few minutes, he gets in, comes to America and wins the Chiefs Ring #3.

Disney makes a biopic about him two years later: COOL PUNTINGS

SuperBowl4
04-01-2020, 10:13 AM
It would make more sense to cut Sammy...Keeping Sammy Watkins would be a disaster against the cap. SW is too injury prone. Don't hang on, move on.

Mecca
04-01-2020, 10:14 AM
They have to think they can come to a contract agreement, there's no other reason to keep him around.

Chief Roundup
04-01-2020, 10:31 AM
Something like that.

Those were not his fault. :facepalm:

Chief Roundup
04-01-2020, 10:31 AM
$2M for this year is cheap.

Kiimo
04-01-2020, 11:55 AM
Love when people say move on from Sammy as if that was the only two options.

If Sammy restructures I absolutely want him on this team.

If you are feeling cluttered, clean your house instead of jumping on CP and yelling out cut his ass! as if you are sweeping away the debris.

Sammy is a playoff and big game player and I absolutely want him on this team next year. He knows his contract won't work here or anywhere else. He'll restructure.

IowaHawkeyeChief
04-01-2020, 01:10 PM
I'd rather colquitt take a pay cut because I'd like to get him another ring or two.

I don't think he can. I think he is on the Vet Minimum for the years he has accumulated...

InChiefsHeaven
04-01-2020, 01:13 PM
Blocked punts in the NFL are caused by a bad snap or poor getoff time, but most of the time, they are a result of a missed assignment, true.

The amount of increased blocks might be due to blocking or missed assignments, but I'm sensing a slower hitch in Dustin's getoff giddyup...

I only remember 2 this season. I'd have to look at it, but I don't recall thinking Dustin was at fault...

BWillie
04-01-2020, 01:18 PM
No freaking way we go into the season with Colquitt at that price. He needs to retire, we need a couple decent free agents to choose from...

Why do we need a punter? Just let Tyreek do it the 2 or 3 times a year we will do it.

Save the roster spot. :D

rabblerouser
04-01-2020, 01:24 PM
Why do we need a punter? Just let Tyreek do it the 2 or 3 times a year we will do it.

Damn, you're on a roll today...

bowener
04-01-2020, 01:28 PM
I need the NFL to evolve the punter position by phasing it out. Don't get me wrong, punting should still be part of the game, but it should be thought of differently.

This would only be good for teams that believe in the analytics of going for it on 4th down. Instead of having a dedicated punter have your QB learn to do rugby style pooch punts. If your starting offense stays on the field the other team won't have their return team out, and if they do you go for it anyway. I think Patrick could manage to kick a pooch punt 40 yards at least. The ball would roll some distance and there would almost never be a return.

rabblerouser
04-01-2020, 01:31 PM
I need the NFL to evolve the punter position by phasing it out. Don't get me wrong, punting should still be part of the game, but it should be thought of differently.

This would only be good for teams that believe in the analytics of going for it on 4th down. Instead of having a dedicated punter have your QB learn to do rugby style pooch punts. If your starting offense stays on the field the other team won't have their return team out, and if they do you go for it anyway. I think Patrick could manage to kick a pooch punt 40 yards at least. The ball would roll some distance and there would almost never be a return.

Patrick could probably set best net average records as a punter.

scho63
04-01-2020, 01:36 PM
He's been in decline the last 2-3 years. Hardly any punts downed inside the 10 and a lot of touchbacks or short punts.

He is a great FG holder though

BWillie
04-01-2020, 01:38 PM

Ban punting. If they did so, we may never lose again.

58-4ever
04-01-2020, 01:48 PM

it depends who you ask. most projections have them over.

Pitt Gorilla
04-01-2020, 01:53 PM

I, actually, wouldn't hate that. Use the rugby style kick and if it's not well defended, let Reek get the first down.

That, or, simply give Pat one more down. You could demoralize some defenses pretty quickly.

FAX
04-01-2020, 01:55 PM
I'm not going to start a new thread for this (those deals don't work out for me, anyway), so I'll put this here.

I kinda like the Watch Party videos that the Chiefs are doing with BJ and that Matt dude. Especially now that Holthus has joined in.

That's it.

Oh ... and on the punter issue; I think we'll miss Colquitt when he's gone.

FAX

srvy
04-01-2020, 02:16 PM
The only reason to keep Colquitt is he holds the ball good for Buttkicker. Maybe Deiter could do that and can Colquitt.

InChiefsHeaven
04-01-2020, 02:23 PM
People, crapping on Dustin Colquitt is practically sacrilegious!

R Clark
04-01-2020, 02:33 PM
He's been in decline the last 2-3 years. Hardly any punts downed inside the 10 and a lot of touchbacks or short punts.

He is a great FG holder though

Wrong he may have lost a little distance but damn little.and he can still put them where you want them. Is he perfect ? No but you can trust him when shit gets real. As fax said you are going to miss him when he’s gone.

dlphg9
04-01-2020, 03:43 PM
His average punt this year was 44.3 yds which is right in line with his career avg of 44.8 yds. You only save $2 mil by cutting him, so for that small amount of money we should just let him play the last year of his contract. Petsknally if his numbers don't drop off and he's willing to take $1 mil a season I'd let him play until he's ready to retire. He's still one of the better punters in the league and is a great holder. He's made a butt ton of money as a punter, so maybe he'd be willing to play on a slightly decreased salary. I love me some Dustin Colquitt.

Tribal Warfare
04-01-2020, 04:02 PM
I like MVP where he is

dlphg9
04-01-2020, 05:02 PM
He was top 10 in percentage of kicks inside the 20. Around 45% of his punts were inside the 20.

Megatron96
04-01-2020, 05:28 PM
I doubt a punter is high on Andy's list of priority signings. And with the offense and defense we have now, I could live with Colquitt another year. We aren't in the position anyumore of needing a great punter to flip the field, blah blah blah. Just get the kick off 99% of the time and give Butker a consistently good hold and he's good.

Monty
04-01-2020, 06:58 PM
They should go down and scout someone from the Jamaican rugby team, some dude who is not practicing because the Olympic got cancelled, and so he's just out behind his house punting melons into an old trash dumpster 70 yards across the street from an empty farm.

Veach pulls up in a taxi. Talks to the guy for a few minutes, he gets in, comes to America and wins the Chiefs Ring #3.

Disney makes a biopic about him two years later: COOL PUNTINGS

:clap:

Simply Red
04-01-2020, 08:43 PM
Think we have Jack Shit

We sign him every year it seems.

LIVForTheKingdom
04-01-2020, 09:04 PM
In addition to Colquitt being a great holder for kicks (he saved quite a few bad snaps), remember that with Mahomes we aren't punting from as deep in our own territory anymore. Still good with net average, and % in the 20 as noted. Should have another 2 or 3 years in him. Let him continue to stay along for the ride and pad his stats. Let him rise on the punts, yards, and punts in the 20 all-time list, and don't mess up the locker room chemistry. As long as he wants to keep playing, let him.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
04-01-2020, 09:39 PM
:cuss: Shit dicks Colquitt doubters

TribalElder
04-08-2020, 10:53 PM
Chiefs to sign free agent punter Tyler Newsome

New punter has a mullet which instantly makes him a fan favorite ROFL

https://i.imgur.com/n4gHH84.png

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/08/kansas-city-chiefs-to-sign-former-notre-dame-punter-tyler-newsome/

scho63
04-09-2020, 04:29 AM
Chiefs to sign free agent punter Tyler Newsome

New punter has a mullet which instantly makes him a fan favorite ROFL

https://i.imgur.com/n4gHH84.png

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/08/kansas-city-chiefs-to-sign-former-notre-dame-punter-tyler-newsome/

Plus he's got a 10 head to boot! :D

bigjosh
04-09-2020, 06:14 AM
That article says this dude put up 31 bench reps.

Maybe he is a punter that likes to go hit a dude after he kicks it too.

InChiefsHeaven
04-09-2020, 08:07 AM
Newsome is known best for his impressive show of strength at his pro day, posting 30 bench press repetitions of 225. To put things into perspective, that’s more repetitions than Chris Jones, Frank Clark, Mike Pennel, Derrick Nnadi, Alex Okafor, Khalen Saunders, and Tanoh Kpassagnon posted at their respective combine or pro days. Only practice squad defensive lineman Devaroe Lawrence had more bench press repetitions than Newsome at 31.

Ho...lee...sheot!!

BleedingRed
04-09-2020, 09:22 AM
New punter put up 30 reps XD

ChiefBlueCFC
04-09-2020, 09:24 AM
So he can bench press, but can he kick?

Megatron96
04-09-2020, 10:45 AM
So he can bench press, but can he kick?

Supposedly he can kick the thing a mile, but he doesn't have any control. So either his mechanics are inconsistent, or he has a 5 cent head.

rabblerouser
04-09-2020, 11:17 AM
So...Kenny Fuckin' Powers gonna be camp leg this year.

Ok.

rabblerouser
04-28-2020, 07:52 AM
It's MULLET TIME.

Gravedigger
04-28-2020, 07:53 AM
He's like the redneck Mahomes.

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-28-2020, 07:54 AM

Good call. Although it's like losing your favorite pet.

rabblerouser
04-28-2020, 11:10 AM
Good call. Although it's like losing your favorite pet.

It is. If the new guy didn't have a mullet, I'd be worried.

But seriously...maybe we should look at a new long snapper while we're at it...