PDA

View Full Version : Football Will the 2020-21 NFL season happen?

DaFace
04-01-2020, 12:04 PM
Because WTF else do we have to talk about...

04-01-2020, 12:05 PM
Will the stadiums be half full because of social distancing?

Buehler445
04-01-2020, 12:07 PM
I’m guessing it will but OTA and maybe TC won’t happen.

DaFace
04-01-2020, 12:10 PM
I think the NFL will try to brute force it to happen, but I can't imagine we'll be able to have 75k fans in one place this fall. And I bet the on-field product will be a little shite since all of the players are going to be very out of shape with no gyms open right now.

backinblack
04-01-2020, 12:11 PM
With the Olympics pushed off now, I'm leaning towards "no". At least not on time, maybe the season will be truncated. I'm hopeful though.

Mecca
04-01-2020, 12:15 PM
I think the NFL will try to brute force it to happen, but I can't imagine we'll be able to have 75k fans in one place this fall. And I bet the on-field product will be a little shite since all of the players are going to be very out of shape with no gyms open right now.

They will be waiting for someone else to go first, they sure as shit aren't going first because they won't chance that backlash, they'll run a bunch of nflcares# ads before they do that.

RunKC
04-01-2020, 12:16 PM
I wonder if they would try to have games in places that are not being affected very much. North/South Dakota, Wyoming etc where there aren’t many people.

Maybe play at a college stadium with no fans? Testing will be fully attainable by then so that would help.

Just a thought

Chiefs4TheWin
04-01-2020, 12:17 PM
If this isn't under control by September we have bigger problems than the NFL season starting.

I think it'll be contained by then. Normal start, unless they cancel it out before we have it under control.

CasselGotPeedOn
04-01-2020, 12:36 PM
It's definitely gonna happen, it's just a matter of when/how. I could see them cutting the season to 12 games and eliminating the 4 out of conference games.

DJJasonp
04-01-2020, 12:43 PM
My brother-in-law is a chief of police.

Based upon the briefings he gets, he doesnt think we'll be able to have thousands of people gathered in one area for several months (goodbye summer concerts).

Will be interesting if that improves in time for September - but it's not looking good right now.

Of course (disclaimer), the most important thing is getting a handle on this and preventing as many people from dying as possible.

backinblack
04-01-2020, 12:52 PM
if they do start the season on time I do wonder if they'll still try to do the international games as well, or keep them in the country.

Rain Man
04-01-2020, 01:26 PM
I probably shouldn't reveal this, but Sandbox Simulations is in discussions now to simulate the 2020 season for the NFL.

staylor26
04-01-2020, 01:35 PM
My brother-in-law is a chief of police.

Based upon the briefings he gets, he doesnt think we'll be able to have thousands of people gathered in one area for several months (goodbye summer concerts).

Will be interesting if that improves in time for September - but it's not looking good right now.

Of course (disclaimer), the most important thing is getting a handle on this and preventing as many people from dying as possible.

But they will certainly play games without fans before they cancel the season.

scho63
04-01-2020, 01:37 PM
Because WTF else do we have to talk about...

Your momma? :shrug:

RealSNR
04-01-2020, 01:38 PM
There will be an NFL season, if we're to take anything away from this recent league meeting and subsequent announcement. Yes, it will probably look different-- likely won't be in front of fans. But we'll have a season.

It's going to be difficult for teams going through drastic personnel changes. When the Chiefs completely renovated their defense last year, they had the benefit of a full offseason. With a brand new scheme, new personnel, and entirely new coaching staff, it still took us until like Week 10 to figure our shit out.

Teams that keep their coaches and key players intact are going to have a huge advantage. Some teams that are seeing those significant changes at the QB position might be otherwise great teams, but they'll be missing all of the offseason work. I imagine those teams will find themselves in deep holes in the W-L column early on, and they might not be able to work their way out.

Kansas City is going to rape some faces this year.

TomBarndtsTwin
04-01-2020, 01:44 PM
No.

BREAKING NEWS:

The NFL has just announced that the 2020 NFL season will be cancelled, due to the COVID-19 pandemic currently sweeping the nation. Sources have said the Kansas City Chiefs will be named as 2020 *Official* NFL champions for the second consecutive season, citing the All Valley Under 18 Karate Championship clause.

More news on this story as it becomes available.

oldman
04-01-2020, 03:52 PM
It's going to be difficult for teams going through drastic personnel changes. When the Chiefs completely renovated their defense last year, they had the benefit of a full offseason. With a brand new scheme, new personnel, and entirely new coaching staff, it still took us until like Week 10 to figure our shit out.

Teams that keep their coaches and key players intact are going to have a huge advantage. Some teams that are seeing those significant changes at the QB position might be otherwise great teams, but they'll be missing all of the offseason work. I imagine those teams will find themselves in deep holes in the W-L column early on, and they might not be able to work their way out.

You make a valid point. This may be why we're staying pretty well pat during the FA period and not cutting anyone. We haven't lost a great deal except for the secondary and Veach may figure he can find enough diamonds in the bargain bin or draft.

The other question is will all the current owners be able to stay in the game? The Hunts have more money than most, but guys like Spanos may be in trouble, even for a billionaire. The networks will probably demand for a reduction in fees if the season is shortened and there's lost revenue in ticket sales.

SAUTO
04-01-2020, 03:54 PM
I’m guessing it will but OTA and maybe TC won’t happen.

No OTAs for sure imo

IowaHawkeyeChief
04-01-2020, 03:56 PM
If this isn't under control by mid summer we are done for a long time... Hopefully we will soon have therapeutics which will lessen the symptoms and allow herd immunity to develop. I am confident this won't be an issue in the fall, if it is, we are screwed for a long time.

Easy 6
04-01-2020, 03:57 PM
I’m not willing to make a prediction just yet, fall is still many months away and much could happen between now and then

kcxiv
04-01-2020, 03:58 PM
i can see games with no fans or limited fans. Still have a good what 4 months? Hopefully people stay the fuck home get this shit over with.

Bugeater
04-01-2020, 04:15 PM
Wish I could be optimistic but there is zero sign of this shit slowing down.

Deberg_1990
04-01-2020, 04:29 PM
6 game regular season.

20 team playoff

stumppy
04-01-2020, 04:33 PM
Only if we get this thing over 5000 posts.

TLO
04-01-2020, 04:36 PM

Awwwwwwwwwwwww YEAH

Chiefs4TheWin
04-01-2020, 04:39 PM

Awwww shit here we go again! lol

JD10367
04-01-2020, 04:43 PM
I believe a run of the mill vaccine takes 12-18 months from testing to release. But no disease has ever shut down the planet like this. I think they'll start live testing far earlier than normal, risking subjects, weighing the importance of a vaccine. I think April and May are gone, and probably June. But by training camp start, I think the virus will be clearing up. It might mean less practice time and more sloppy early-season games but I think the season will kick off as normal.

Bearcat
04-01-2020, 04:47 PM
I think summer will kill the virus in the US, but I guess that's TBD based on what happens in Florida, Arizona, etc; in the next few weeks.

The NBA and NHL have the advantage of possibly playing a shortened season to see if it kicks into high gear in Oct/Nov..... not sure if the NFL would actually do that, but I'm guessing they would start the season and see what happens.

Discuss Thrower
04-01-2020, 04:47 PM
Right. There are roughly a dozen and a half facilities in isolated areas of the country that have the capability to host ~250 people comfortably for weeks at a time and pose no risk of either outsiders infecting players and personnel or vice versa.

:rolleyes:

Ubeja Vontell
04-01-2020, 05:05 PM
Football at all levels is done this year, maybe in 2021, maybe.

Yes, that will totally suck but that is what we are looking at.

The internet is always about ...YOU ARE WRONG!!!!!!!!!!....I pray to God I am wrong about this.

I am not religious, but it's all there, and it's scarey.

Rain Man
04-01-2020, 05:07 PM
What if things clear up in December or thereabouts? Would the NFL hold a season where opening day is December 1st and the Super Bowl is in April, right before the draft? Interesting to think about. Other than mucking up free agency, I don't really see a downside.

Graystoke
04-01-2020, 05:25 PM
I am thinking No.
Hoping for the very least to have games without fans, but it only takes a couple of positive for Covid Athletes to end it all

TLO
04-01-2020, 05:28 PM
My optimistic nature wants to say yes. We just don't know yet... and likely won't know until July or August.

Chief Roundup
04-01-2020, 05:29 PM
Those that voted the top option, virus will be taken care of by then, I am guessing you are not counting OTAs and mini camps are part of the "season" as those start next month. This stuff will not be taken care of by then where things are back to normal.

tk13
04-01-2020, 05:29 PM
Who knows. It's possible they are able to go off in September, the catch may be getting through the whole season if this flares back up next winter. You certainly could see it come back and start to build again in November or December.

backinblack
04-01-2020, 05:30 PM
One thing is the construction of the stadiums in Vegas and Inglewood hasn't halted, even though Los Angeles County has been locked down for weeks now, and even though a worker at the Vegas stadium tested positive. That kind of tells you the NFL really wants this season to start on time.

Bob Dole
04-01-2020, 05:45 PM
One thing is the construction of the stadiums in Vegas and Inglewood hasn't halted, even though Los Angeles County has been locked down for weeks now, and even though a worker at the Vegas stadium tested positive. That kind of tells you the NFL really wants this season to start on time.

Saw a crawl today that the NFL expects to start in September.

And apparently construction in considered "essential". There's a shitload of road work going on here.

Monticore
04-01-2020, 05:55 PM
I think they will play games in Antarctica.

BossChief
04-01-2020, 09:13 PM
I highly doubt it.

What team is going to want to go to NY a couple months after losing tons of people to a virus?

I can see them having a season with no fans in the stadium and played in locations without outbreaks.

KChiefs1
04-02-2020, 12:38 AM
The curve must be flattened by August.
https://media2.giphy.com/media/cEYFeE5RuNgkHF7mo12/giphy.gif
https://media3.giphy.com/media/rxIomhy22ZVle/giphy.gif

IUsedToBeATightEnd
04-02-2020, 06:31 AM
The curve will be flattened by August, but I'm afraid some form of lighter social distancing will still need to be enforced until either a vaccine or a cure is found, or the whole population develops immunity, and that will hardly happen by August.
Doubt large gatherings of people will be allowed before the problem is solved.
I think we're facing a delay of the start of the season in the hope of a vaccine. Besides the problem with large gatherings, the NFL won't risk players getting infected.

JD10367
04-02-2020, 10:06 AM
I can see them having a season with no fans in the stadium . . .

So, for the Chargers, Bengals, Bucs and Raiders, business as usual.

Chief Pagan
04-02-2020, 10:13 AM
6 game regular season.

20 team playoff

Screw it at that point.

0 game regular season.

32 team playoffs.

Chief Pagan
04-02-2020, 10:15 AM
I probably shouldn't reveal this, but Sandbox Simulations is in discussions now to simulate the 2020 season for the NFL.

Can we go back and simulate 2020 March Madness?

keg in kc
04-02-2020, 01:53 PM
If there is an NFL season, there may not be any fans in the stadiums. I think there's a chance we're locked at home as late as late July/early August, and I think there's a chance the virus returns with a vengeance in the fall. Cause, you know, once people are allowed outside again, they're going to go nuts and probably infect the hell out of each other.

Dunerdr
04-02-2020, 02:00 PM
I dont remember what podcast it was, but they talked about what if the season doesnt happen. How do the draft slots get decided? A loto?

Chiefs4TheWin
04-02-2020, 02:22 PM
Those that voted the top option, virus will be taken care of by then, I am guessing you are not counting OTAs and mini camps are part of the "season" as those start next month. This stuff will not be taken care of by then where things are back to normal.

I did not take those into account.

Halfcan
04-04-2020, 01:36 PM

Discuss Thrower
04-04-2020, 01:48 PM
Looks like possible good news.

https://sports.yahoo.com/president-trump-holds-call-with-commissioners-of-pro-sports-leagues-174422353.html

LMAO

CasselGotPeedOn
04-04-2020, 01:51 PM
LMAO

When do you think it will start?

Discuss Thrower
04-04-2020, 01:53 PM

2022. And that's assuming a 100% effective vaccine is created before the end of the year and is rolled out this time in 2021.

Halfcan
04-04-2020, 02:05 PM
LMAO

The NFL seems to believe the NFL season will start on time. They are going ahead with the draft and moving forward.

Why is this funny?

CasselGotPeedOn
04-04-2020, 02:07 PM
2022. And that's assuming a 100% effective vaccine is created before the end of the year and is rolled out this time in 2021.

LMAO

FloridaMan88
04-04-2020, 02:09 PM
The NFL season will start on time and while there may be some temporary changes such as reduced crowd sizes, overall it will be business as usual.

OnTheWarpath15
04-04-2020, 02:12 PM
All it takes is one guy in the locker room getting it, forcing the entire team and staff into mandatory quarantine for 14+ days, resulting in forfeits.

I don't see any of the four major sports up and running this year.

LoneWolf
04-04-2020, 02:12 PM

He doesn’t. He thinks we are all going to be shut up in our homes for a year. Someone’s going to find him in a month hanging in his closet David Carradine style.

Discuss Thrower
04-04-2020, 02:17 PM
The NFL seems to believe the NFL season will start on time. They are going ahead with the draft and moving forward.

Why is this funny?

All it takes is one guy in the locker room getting it, forcing the entire team and staff into mandatory quarantine for 14+ days, resulting in forfeits.

I don't see any of the four major sports up and running this year.
This.

CrazyPhuD
04-04-2020, 02:19 PM
No there will be no more sports again evar!!! It’s end of days times bitches!!! PBJ

BWillie
04-04-2020, 02:30 PM
Would owners even make money if they played all of the games without fans? Players would have to take a paycut...

Discuss Thrower
04-04-2020, 02:34 PM
Would owners even make money if they played all of the games without fans? Players would have to take a paycut...

Yup. I wouldn't expect the owners to take losses for missing gate and concessions revenues.. especially if they have to pay a lease for their home stadiums.

EDIT: Newsom basically told the president to pound sand.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">California Governor Gavin Newsom, when asked if NFL can come back in August/September with spectators: &quot;I&#39;m not anticipating that happening. We&#39;ve all seen in Asia where they were opening up certain businesses and now they&#39;re starting to roll back because they&#39;ve seen spread.&quot;</p>&mdash; Madelyn Burke (@MadelynBurke) <a href="https://twitter.com/MadelynBurke/status/1246535545045561345?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 4, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

crayzkirk
04-04-2020, 07:26 PM
I voted no; we are never going back to 'business as usual'.

Unfortunately, I think the cure is worse than the disease...

FloridaMan88
04-04-2020, 07:44 PM
Yup. I wouldn't expect the owners to take losses for missing gate and concessions revenues.. especially if they have to pay a lease for their home stadiums.

EDIT: Newsom basically told the president to pound sand.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">California Governor Gavin Newsom, when asked if NFL can come back in August/September with spectators: &quot;I&#39;m not anticipating that happening. We&#39;ve all seen in Asia where they were opening up certain businesses and now they&#39;re starting to roll back because they&#39;ve seen spread.&quot;</p>&mdash; Madelyn Burke (@MadelynBurke) <a href="https://twitter.com/MadelynBurke/status/1246535545045561345?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 4, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The NFL season is five months away... comparing that time-frame to China trying to re-start their professional basketball leagues barely two months after their virus peak is not an accurate comparison.

Discuss Thrower
04-04-2020, 07:46 PM
The NFL season is five months away... comparing that time-frame to China trying to re-start their professional basketball leagues barely two months after their virus peak is not an accurate comparison.

Point is the proverbial ball ultimately sits in local government's court, not in the White House.

LoneWolf
04-04-2020, 07:46 PM
I voted no; we are never going back to 'business as usual'.

Unfortunately, I think the cure is worse than the disease...

Never?

Chieftain
04-04-2020, 07:49 PM
I think it will. It could be maybe a late start, say October or November. Worst case scenario, first few games are played without fans.
I can't foresee this lockdown extend beyond 6 months.

RunKC
04-04-2020, 07:53 PM

Apparently it’s been discussed to move the season back one month and finish in March. What sucks is they have to have about 1 month to get these guys back in football shape.

Depending on how things look in 4 months, I could see the league pushing the start back around the beginning of November, end up with 10 games and finish the SB first week of March.

That would have to mean significant progress was made and I’m not sure I see that happening.

IUsedToBeATightEnd
04-05-2020, 06:42 AM
In Italy the soccer Championship is scheduled to restart on the first weekend of june.
All players will have to be constantly screened for being negative, no fans allowed in stadiums and team facilities will have to undergo strict hygienic protocols (disinfection etc.).
I can see the same happening here and the NFL season starting as scheduled.