PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs and Chris Jones working towards a long term deal. .

DTVietnam
04-03-2020, 06:19 AM
not sure how valid this source is. .

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Chiefs</a> are planning to keep DL Chris Jones.</p>&mdash; Chiefs Daily (@chiefsdaily15) <a href="https://twitter.com/chiefsdaily15/status/1246047349031526401?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 3, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Chiefs</a> &amp; Jones will work towards a long-term deal even though it will be very tough. Both sides have interest. Let’s see what happens. <br><br>News came from <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@AdamSchefter</a></p>&mdash; Chiefs Daily (@chiefsdaily15) <a href="https://twitter.com/chiefsdaily15/status/1246048289885167616?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 3, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

https://media1.giphy.com/media/h1uCvAFofMYaVUO41D/giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47f4bb75241e00502db7f7e09a1cd249dba2e4d532&rid=giphy.gif

TribalElder
04-03-2020, 06:20 AM
lets go!

DTVietnam
04-03-2020, 06:23 AM
he says Adam is the source but nothing on Adams page..anyone know if this is a reliable source (Chiefs Daily)

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-03-2020, 06:24 AM
40 million dollar contract

5 mill a year for 8 years.

tyecopeland
04-03-2020, 06:26 AM
he says Adam is the source but nothing on Adams page..anyone know if this is a reliable source (Chiefs Daily)

Pretty sure schefter reported a couple months ago that the chiefs wanted to keep jones.

RealSNR
04-03-2020, 06:26 AM
40 million dollar contract

5 mill a year for 8 years.

Hell yeah Veach is a genius!!!!!!!

DTVietnam
04-03-2020, 06:30 AM
We might be able to run it back if The Landlord and Reek can find a way to overcome their offseason differences

Rasputin
04-03-2020, 06:31 AM
Brett Veach is going be legendary GM of all time.

He is working on getting us out of cap hell that John Dorsey put us in and he has revamped this defense to go along with this offense so it's balanced and our special teams contributes and this GM is young and makes bold decisive moves. Also he doesn't put himself out there like look at me he stays in the shadows and lets everyone else take the credit.

He deserves his place in the CROH when it is time for him to retire and that should be many years from now.

Dunerdr
04-03-2020, 06:53 AM
This is what theyve said the whole time. Actions sort of say otherwise. What else are they gonna say as long as hes still on the roster?

Mecca
04-03-2020, 06:57 AM
Brett Veach is going be legendary GM of all time.

He is working on getting us out of cap hell that John Dorsey put us in and he has revamped this defense to go along with this offense so it's balanced and our special teams contributes and this GM is young and makes bold decisive moves. Also he doesn't put himself out there like look at me he stays in the shadows and lets everyone else take the credit.

He deserves his place in the CROH when it is time for him to retire and that should be many years from now.

The Chiefs were never really in cap hell dude.

seaofred
04-03-2020, 07:01 AM
Schefter did a #AskAdamSchefter thing on twitter and one of the questions was about Jones. That is where the guy in the OP got his info.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Q: What are the chiefs planning on doing with Chris Jones? <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/AskAdamSchefter?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#AskAdamSchefter</a><br>- <a href="https://twitter.com/Elliott_Duncan?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Elliott_Duncan</a><br><br>A: <a href="https://t.co/JpzgzTiaUs">pic.twitter.com/JpzgzTiaUs</a></p>&mdash; The Boardroom (@boardroom) <a href="https://twitter.com/boardroom/status/1245815474249662474?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 2, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

smithandrew051
04-03-2020, 07:08 AM
I’d love to keep him.

I can also be on board with trading him. My fear with trading him is that we’ll have to take lesser compensation at this point. If someone wanted to make a strong offer, wouldn’t they have already done so? If you liked Chris Jones enough to give up a first, why would you risk him signing a long term deal with the Chiefs?

Chris Meck
04-03-2020, 07:12 AM
yeah, I still don't see how it's possible.

Mecca
04-03-2020, 07:13 AM

To get a long term deal?

It would actually lower his cap number this year since you can fanagle the numbers around.

wazu
04-03-2020, 07:14 AM
Whatever Veach decides I'm good with.

Rasputin
04-03-2020, 07:15 AM
The Chiefs were never really in cap hell dude.

If you say so but working with $177 if that's accurate isn't very good either bro.

Mecca
04-03-2020, 07:17 AM
If you say so but working with $177 if that's accurate isn't very good either bro.

That is mainly because of the deals Veach signed.....

TomBarndtsTwin
04-03-2020, 07:23 AM
So, basically, absolutely zero new info.

Just the same thing we already knew.

Rasputin
04-03-2020, 07:24 AM
That is mainly because of the deals Veach signed.....

That won us a Super Bowl so I'm giving Veach credit where credit is do.

We are also keeping much of the team intact for another glorious run to the Super Bowl so we got that going for us thanks in part by Brett Veach. Am I wrong? You can continue to pointlessly point out anything you want but still Veach is making us Super Bowl Champions and for that I am grateful and Dorsey was fired for a reason or two so I'm going assume and no fucks given if I'm wrong that partly was because of deals he made that were hurting our cap space and Clark Hunt felt the need to fire him in place for Brett Veach and it's paid off.

Chris Meck
04-03-2020, 07:38 AM
To get a long term deal?

It would actually lower his cap number this year since you can fanagle the numbers around.

yeah, but the bill comes due regardless. If the cap hit is less this year, it'll be more next year, and the year after that.

And in the next year or so we're going to have Mahomes' deal on the table.

I don't see how you can pay 1/2 of your front 4 $45 million per.

Dante84
04-03-2020, 07:41 AM
Schefter did a #AskAdamSchefter thing on twitter and one of the questions was about Jones. That is where the guy in the OP got his info.

This. It sounded like Schefter was speculating, not reporting a new lead. womp womp.

Wisconsin_Chief
04-03-2020, 07:52 AM
Whatever Veach decides I'm good with.

This is pretty much all that needs to be said.

For the first time in 25 years, I'm not the least bit worried about what the Chiefs do in the off-season.

We have the best QB on the planet, one of the best head coaches in NFL history, a 2 time Super Bowl winning defensive coordinator who completely changed the culture in one single year, & Clark and Mathieu to lead that unit on the field. Not to mention one of the best young GM's in football.

No matter what happens with Chris Jones, the Chiefs will win the AFC West next year and be right in the mix to win another Super Bowl title. It is such a great feeling to know that we don't have to stress over every single move they make anymore.

Red Dawg
04-03-2020, 08:01 AM
I don't see how this can happen and not screw our cap totally up. The only way is if Chris came down on his demands. He was offered 100 for 6 and declined last year. 810 reported that.

TomBarndtsTwin
04-03-2020, 08:06 AM

For the first time in 25 years, I'm not the least bit worried about what the Chiefs do in the off-season.

We have the best QB on the planet, one of the best head coaches in NFL history, a 2 time Super Bowl winning defensive coordinator who completely changed the culture in one single year, & Clark and Mathieu to lead that unit on the field. Not to mention one of the best young GM's in football.

No matter what happens with Chris Jones, the Chiefs will win the AFC West next year and be right in the mix to win another Super Bowl title. It is such a great feeling to know that we don't have to stress over every single move they make anymore.

:clap: Well said.

Good post, noob.

HemiEd
04-03-2020, 08:16 AM
So, basically, absolutely zero new info.

Just the same thing we already knew.

Yeah, water is still wet

BigRedChief
04-03-2020, 08:23 AM
To get a long term deal?

It would actually lower his cap number this year since you can fanagle the numbers around.Maybe. Eventually Mahomes $40 million contract needs to be paid and we are going to lose essential players. Thats our life as fans going forward. But.............we have Patrick fucking Mahomes. Life is good! :thumb:

BigRedChief
04-03-2020, 08:24 AM

No matter what happens with Chris Jones, the Chiefs will win the AFC West next year and be right in the mix to win another Super Bowl title. It is such a great feeling to know that we don't have to stress over every single move they make anymore.Agreed. Solid n00b post.

Good post, noob.

ThyKingdomCome15
04-03-2020, 08:37 AM
Clearly KC is the place to be. This is special.

The Franchise
04-03-2020, 08:53 AM
Has he even signed his franchise tag yet?

The Franchise
04-03-2020, 08:54 AM
I don't see how this can happen and not screw our cap totally up. The only way is if Chris came down on his demands. He was offered 100 for 6 and declined last year. 810 reported that.

Funny that 810 is the only one that’s reported that.

TribalElder
04-03-2020, 09:26 AM
Does anyone know what the cutoff date is for coming to an agreement with a tagged player? Seems like that is a thing, that you have to make a deal by a certain date or it has to wait until after the season.

I could definitely be wrong about that but seems like I heard that at one point.

The Franchise
04-03-2020, 09:28 AM
Does anyone know what the cutoff date is for coming to an agreement with a tagged player? Seems like that is a thing, that you have to make a deal by a certain date or it has to wait until after the season.

I could definitely be wrong about that but seems like I heard that at one point.

July 15th

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-03-2020, 09:30 AM
I think he hasn’t signed it yet because he’s hoping a long term deal can be reached. Also rumors are Chiefs May be bringing Breeland back as well. Every move Veach has made this offseason is a 1 year deal

Dunerdr
04-03-2020, 09:51 AM
I think he hasn’t signed it yet because he’s hoping a long term deal can be reached. Also rumors are Chiefs May be bringing Breeland back as well. Every move Veach has made this offseason is a 1 year deal

wheres the rumor coming from? just fans speculating or an actual source talking about it?

TribalElder
04-03-2020, 09:53 AM

I wondered if they were working to free up money to get Breeland back

Shields68
04-03-2020, 09:57 AM
I wondered if they were working to free up money to get Breeland back

My understanding is that it is not enough. To bring Breeland back, most likely have to sign and trade Jones. Breeland is probably looking at 10+, so 5 in cap space ...

Dunerdr
04-03-2020, 10:00 AM
it looks like sammy got us just enough to sign the draft class if im not mistaken.

tyecopeland
04-03-2020, 10:08 AM

Signing it doesnt change anything as far as working on a long term deal. They'd still have until July to finalize a deal regardless of if hes signed his franchise tag or not. I think there is some implication with possible trades that he has to be signed for a trade to actually happen though.

OKchiefs
04-03-2020, 10:16 AM
My understanding is that it is not enough. To bring Breeland back, most likely have to sign and trade Jones. Breeland is probably looking at 10+, so 5 in cap space ...

If Breeland was going to get 10+ he would have signed somewhere by now. I think it's pretty clear the market for him isn't what he thought it was. There are still quite a few other veteran corners out there that are muddying the market and keeping the value down. I'll be shocked if he gets close to $10 million.

OKchiefs
04-03-2020, 10:17 AM
it looks like sammy got us just enough to sign the draft class if im not mistaken.

True, which would lead you to believe more moves have to be coming. We have to have room to add a veteran corner and some other veterans here or there to fill out the roster.

IowaHawkeyeChief
04-03-2020, 10:26 AM

It's always a good post for a NOOB when antifreeze and ingestion is not mentioned.;)

rabblerouser
04-03-2020, 10:28 AM
Get it done, Veeeeeeeeeotch!

Shields68
04-03-2020, 10:28 AM
If Breeland was going to get 10+ he would have signed somewhere by now. I think it's pretty clear the market for him isn't what he thought it was. There are still quite a few other veteran corners out there that are muddying the market and keeping the value down. I'll be shocked if he gets close to $10 million.

Maybe. But the money we just freed up is probably headed to the draft class. So he is going to have to do something else to free up any money for Breeland. Would think he would want something long term at a minimum averaging 7-8. That and whatever we do with Jones we have to keep his cap number for this year at the franchise tag number.

Be very impressed if able to bring back both Jones and Breeland.

tyecopeland
04-03-2020, 11:05 AM

Maybe. But the money we just freed up is probably headed to the draft class. So he is going to have to do something else to free up any money for Breeland. Would think he would want something long term at a minimum averaging 7-8. That and whatever we do with Jones we have to keep his cap number for this year at the franchise tag number.

Be very impressed if able to bring back both Jones and Breeland.

According to spotrac and overthecap we are still up against the cap. With somewhere around 3-4 mil in space but not counting robinson or sherman.

RINGLEADER
04-03-2020, 11:23 AM
Chiefs could have probably $40 million in cap space by:

Restructure (salary into signing bonus) Clark and Mathieu
Cut LDT after June 1
Extend Chris Jones and Travis Kelce (though both players may not want that)

jjchieffan
04-03-2020, 11:36 AM

It's enough if they give him more than a one year deal. Give him 3 years for $25 million. Give him a $9 million signing bonus and league minimum this season. Cap hit would be around $4 million.

OKchiefs
04-03-2020, 12:32 PM
Chiefs could have probably $40 million in cap space by:

Restructure (salary into signing bonus) Clark and Mathieu
Cut LDT after June 1
Extend Chris Jones and Travis Kelce (though both players may not want that)

As much as I'd be fine with cutting LDT, could we really replace him with anyone better this year?

Mecca
04-03-2020, 12:36 PM
Breeland isn't getting 10 a year, Chris Harris barely got that.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-03-2020, 12:42 PM
Kelce will not sign an extension until Kittle does just an FYI

Megatron96
04-03-2020, 12:47 PM
As much as I'd be fine with cutting LDT, could we really replace him with anyone better this year?

This. I'm doubtful that there's an upgrade replacement for LDT out there this season. And Andy's blocking schemes can be pretty complex; is there a OG out there that can pick up his schemes that quickly, especially if there's no OTAs/abbreviated TC this season?

As for LDT himself, I don't think we can really judge his abilities on his performance for most of last season. It was his first season back from breaking his leg; it was always going to take most of of or all the season for him to get back to his pre-injury form. It'd be interesting to see how he performed in the playoffs vs. the first 8 weeks of the season to see how he trended. I'm betting he was significantly better in the playoffs.

Which could mean that he could be solid in the upcoming season as his confidence in his leg has grown.

Dunerdr
04-03-2020, 12:50 PM
This. I'm doubtful that there's an upgrade replacement for LDT out there this season. And Andy's blocking schemes can be pretty complex; is there a OG out there that can pick up his schemes that quickly, especially if there's no OTAs/abbreviated TC this season?

As for LDT himself, I don't think we can really judge his abilities on his performance for most of last season. It was his first season back from breaking his leg; it was always going to take most of of or all the season for him to get back to his pre-injury form. It'd be interesting to see how he performed in the playoffs vs. the first 8 weeks of the season to see how he trended. I'm betting he was significantly better in the playoffs.

Which could mean that he could be solid in the upcoming season as his confidence in his leg has grown.

I think they like LDT. Another year healthy, hope Rankin can come back healthy. iIf you can upgrade center, LDT is now your worst linemen. and thats a pretty damn nice place to be.

PurpleRiders51
04-03-2020, 12:57 PM
https://media2.giphy.com/media/dYZuqJLDVsWMLWyIxJ/source.gif

BossChief
04-03-2020, 12:58 PM
Maybe. Eventually Mahomes $40 million contract needs to be paid and we are going to lose essential players. Thats our life as fans going forward. But.............we have Patrick fucking Mahomes. Life is good! :thumb:

By that time we will be replacing guys like Kelce, Fisher, Schwartz and others with younger, cheaper options.

Mecca
04-03-2020, 01:00 PM
I think people are kinda missing that we're 2-3 years away from having to use high picks on OT's.

BossChief
04-03-2020, 01:10 PM
I think people are kinda missing that we're 2-3 years away from having to use high picks on OT's.

We’re also 2-3 years away from Mahomes having a really big cap hit.

Dunerdr
04-03-2020, 01:16 PM

And we arent really in "dire" need of IOL either. It would be a very nice upgrade, but we basically won the superbowl with what we have except we lost wis. We will get Rankin back at some point and i expect him to start at LG.

OKchiefs
04-03-2020, 01:26 PM
And we arent really in "dire" need of IOL either. It would be a very nice upgrade, but we basically won the superbowl with what we have except we lost wis. We will get Rankin back at some point and i expect him to start at LG.

Just because that exact formula worked last year that doesn't mean it will work again. What happens when interior pressure gets Mahomes injured again, except this time it's for more than 2 games? Or what happens when Mahomes has an off game, and the interior OL is getting their shit pushed in as always so we're not able to lean on the run game?

Mecca
04-03-2020, 01:28 PM
Just because that exact formula worked last year that doesn't mean it will work again. What happens when interior pressure gets Mahomes injured again, except this time it's for more than 2 games? Or what happens when Mahomes has an off game, and the interior OL is getting their shit pushed in as always so we're not able to lean on the run game?

You can't have elite players everywhere, the biggest hole on the team is coverage LB. it's why every damn team we play throws to their backs and TE's over and over.

Coogs
04-03-2020, 01:34 PM

In 31 games, Mahomes has proven his off game is usually good enough to win. Case in point would be the last game we saw.

Dunerdr
04-03-2020, 01:46 PM
You can't have elite players everywhere, the biggest hole on the team is coverage LB. it's why every damn team we play throws to their backs and TE's over and over.

This. Worst case Rankin and Wis are a wash imo. Rankin came in and did work for a guy who had only been in the system a few weeks. Wis was a street mid season free agent.

And they got their S pushed in in the super bowl, but so did green bay and everyone else who played san fran in the playoffs. I'm not taking a first second or probably even third round center/guard unless hes a truly elite prospect. Like running back the value just isnt there. In fact im personally 5x more likely to go running back before guard, or center. The demand just isnt there to take them high.

Halfcan
04-03-2020, 01:46 PM

:doh!:

FAX
04-03-2020, 02:15 PM
C'mon Veachy ...

Get this done.

Everybody!! Send Jones a tweet and tell him to make a deal. And, if necessary, to fire his agent.

FAX

OKchiefs
04-03-2020, 02:15 PM

Mitchell Schwartz and Eric Fisher will both be free agents in 2 years. I could see us re-signing one but not both. So if we wait 2 years, are we relying on a rookie to man one of the tackle positions?

YayMike
04-03-2020, 02:17 PM

Absolutely!

Halfcan
04-03-2020, 02:21 PM
I hope Jones retires a Chief. He is on a HOF trajectory.

TRR
04-03-2020, 02:23 PM

Wouldn’t it be nice for 3rd rounder Dorian O’Daniel to live up to his potential this season? I was high on him coming out of the draft. I watched Ben Niemann’s entire career at Iowa, and never would have dreamed he’d see an NFL field more than O’Daniel.

OKchiefs
04-03-2020, 02:26 PM
Wouldn’t it be nice for 3rd rounder Dorian O’Daniel to live up to his potential this season? I was high on him coming out of the draft. I watched Ben Niemann’s entire career at Iowa, and never would have dreamed he’d see an NFL field more than O’Daniel.

That would be nice. It would have been nice to have seen him last season as a coverage backer on 3rd down, but alas that never happened. If he couldn't even get on the field towards the end of last year I don't have much faith that he can finally put it together this year, but I hope I'm wrong. It would be interesting to know what specifically his problems have been.

ChiefRocka
04-03-2020, 02:44 PM
Ain't no advertising dollars for Mack with Trubisky.
Now Christopher Jones and Mahomes = $$$

Chris Meck
04-03-2020, 07:55 PM
I think they like LDT. Another year healthy, hope Rankin can come back healthy. iIf you can upgrade center, LDT is now your worst linemen. and thats a pretty damn nice place to be.

Rankin was a small improvement over the complete dumpster-fire that Wylie is.

That's not nearly good enough.

We have ONE real unicorn, and that's Patrick fuckin' Mahomes.

We must do a better job of protecting him.

Nothing else is as important. Not fucking linebackers covering RB's, nobody can score fast enough to keep up with us that way as long as that's all they've got.

We need to improve that interior line. Rankin is not a wash with Wisniewski, that's completely stupid. Wylie is complete ass, and Reiter is a back-up at best. LDT wasn't looking great, but perhaps it's issues from the injury.

We need at least two upgrades from guard to guard.

And we need a blue-chip corner. And we need a cover backer. It'd be nice if O'Daniel would develop.

But don't you dare put your SB aspirations on Martinis fuckin' Rankin being good enough.

Halfcan
04-03-2020, 09:46 PM
Anyway...back to Jones.

I want this guy in Red for his career.

Dante84
04-03-2020, 10:31 PM
Super Bowl Champion Rankin was a small improvement over the complete dumpster-fire that Super Bowl Champion Wylie is.

That's not nearly good enough.

We have ONE real unicorn, and that's Patrick ****in' Mahomes.

We must do a better job of protecting him.

Nothing else is as important. Not ****ing linebackers covering RB's, nobody can score fast enough to keep up with us that way as long as that's all they've got.

We need to improve that interior line. Rankin is not a wash with Super Bowl Champion Wisniewski, that's completely stupid. Wylie is complete ass, and Reiter is a back-up at best. Super Bowl Champion LDT wasn't looking great, but perhaps it's issues from the injury.

We need at least two upgrades from guard to guard.

And we need a blue-chip corner. And we need a cover backer. It'd be nice if Super Bowl Champion O'Daniel would develop.

But don't you dare put your SB aspirations on Martinis ****in' Rankin being good enough.

FYP

JakeF
04-03-2020, 10:33 PM
Andy likes to keep the same players for as long as possible. Not surprised.

eDave
04-03-2020, 10:33 PM
Did we sign this Pro Bowler yet?

RealSNR
04-03-2020, 10:43 PM
Can't wait to see what Super Bowl Champion Gehrig Dieter can do for us this year!

Rausch
04-03-2020, 10:45 PM

We’re beyond the point of needing to. The doc’s play slipped this year and our c and otherG are ass. Pat’s mobility makes them look respectable.

When his ankle was hurt he got killed back there...

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-03-2020, 11:06 PM
We’re beyond the point of needing to. The doc’s play slipped this year and our c and otherG are ass. Pat’s mobility makes them look respectable.

Yea cuz Erving sucks ass

Baby Lee
04-03-2020, 11:12 PM
https://media1.giphy.com/media/h1uCvAFofMYaVUO41D/giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47f4bb75241e00502db7f7e09a1cd249dba2e4d532&rid=giphy.gif

Every time I see this gif, I get this mental image.

<iframe width="637" height="358" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jqQwkRz87QA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dlphg9
04-03-2020, 11:13 PM

Im wondering if having a shit brick playing center is the reason why LDT didn't look very good. Having a bad center can make the whole interior line look bad. The C is responsible for shifts and other things. Draft a good C and the whole line will improve.

smithandrew051
04-03-2020, 11:18 PM

Did he get killed back there?

Chiefs allowed one of the lowest sack rates in the league and the 7th fewest QB hits.

Our running game struggles mightily because of our interior OL. I’ll never argue that.

Our pass protection isn’t as bad as some believe though. Even with Cam Erving starting games at LT and Mahomes being hobbled for most of the season, we still ranked among the best in sacks allowed and QB hits allowed.

If you think our pass protection is THAT bad, I’d love to see a stat that backs that up. Granted, Mahomes was hurried and hit a lot in the Super Bowl, but the 49ers DL is not the norm.

smithandrew051
04-03-2020, 11:25 PM
Just to clarify my point.

I don’t think we have a great OL. I just don’t think the pass protection specifically is as bad as some believe.

I think we may be biased as Chiefs fans:

1. Every hit on Mahomes seems worse to us, because we realize exactly how important he is.
2. We were spoiled in the early 2000’s with an unrealistic idea of what an OL should look like.

If there is a stat out there that confirms that our pass protection sucks, I’d absolutely accept that. I just haven’t seen a stat that says that.

Also, the Mahomes mobility argument doesn’t really convince me (at least not after this year). He practically played on one leg for most of the year and we still ended up with some of the best pass protection numbers in the league.

Halfcan
04-03-2020, 11:27 PM
Did he get killed back there?

Chiefs allowed one of the lowest sack rates in the league and the 7th fewest QB hits.

Our running game struggles mightily because of our interior OL. I’ll never argue that.

Our pass protection isn’t as bad as some believe though. Even with Cam Erving starting games at LT and Mahomes being hobbled for most of the season, we still ranked among the best in sacks allowed and QB hits allowed.

If you think our pass protection is THAT bad, I’d love to see a stat that backs that up. Granted, Mahomes was hurried and hit a lot in the Super Bowl, but the 49ers DL is not the norm.

Mahomes was hobbled- because Cam stepped on his ankle. Whatever point you're trying to make, should have left Erving out of it. Our pass protection numbers looked good because Mahomes is a magician back there.

smithandrew051
04-03-2020, 11:37 PM
Mahomes was hobbled- because Cam stepped on his ankle. Whatever point you're trying to make, should have left Erving out of it. Our pass protection numbers looked good because Mahomes is a magician back there.

My point is that any effect Cam Erving had should be excluded. He was a back up and only playing because Fisher was hurt.

Cam was an awful LT. And despite that, our numbers were still among the best in the league.

Do I believe our OL is among the best in the league? No. I just don’t believe the pass protection is as bad as some think.

If Mahomes was getting hit constantly, the QB hit numbers would be much worse than they are.

KChiefs1
04-03-2020, 11:58 PM

Long-term deals typically lower the cap hit for the current year.

srvy
04-03-2020, 11:58 PM
Just to clarify my point.

I don’t think we have a great OL. I just don’t think the pass protection specifically is as bad as some believe.

I think we may be biased as Chiefs fans:

1. Every hit on Mahomes seems worse to us, because we realize exactly how important he is.
2. We were spoiled in the early 2000’s with an unrealistic idea of what an OL should look like.

If there is a stat out there that confirms that our pass protection sucks, I’d absolutely accept that. I just haven’t seen a stat that says that.

Also, the Mahomes mobility argument doesn’t really convince me (at least not after this year). He practically played on one leg for most of the year and we still ended up with some of the best pass protection numbers in the league.

Mahomes is tough and will stand in and take the hit after the ball is out. Those are the shots that take the toll. Our interior line sucks but Pat cancels it out mainly because he is young. You are crazy if you want to take a chance with this phenoms future.

smithandrew051
04-04-2020, 12:06 AM
Mahomes is tough and will stand in and take the hit after the ball is out. Those are the shots that take the toll. Our interior line sucks but Pat cancels it out mainly because he is young. You are crazy if you want to take a chance with this phenoms future.

I would love to upgrade the interior, but I won’t be shocked if we don’t use an early pick on a C/G.

Apparently, he doesn’t take THAT many of those hits though. Like I said before, we allowed the 7th fewest QB hits in the league. A lot of other teams allowed far more.

My guess is that our entire OL is somewhere around average. The combo of Mahomes and Reid (who really doesn’t get enough credit for this) elevates them to being a top 5 statistical pass protection OL. The Tackles are probably in the top quarter of the league and the Interior is probably in the bottom third of the league.

I don’t think they’re great, but I also don’t think they’re as bad as some believe specifically in pass protection.

Pitt Gorilla
04-04-2020, 12:13 AM
Reuter and the rest of the interior played pretty well in the playoffs. The interior mesh got better and better as the season went on (and Wylie was replaced). Reuter also snapped the ball really well. I doubt we place Reuter this season.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-04-2020, 02:01 AM
Reuter and the rest of the interior played pretty well in the playoffs. The interior mesh got better and better as the season went on (and Wylie was replaced). Reuter also snapped the ball really well. I doubt we place Reuter this season.

Was the second best lineman after Schwartz in the Super Bowl against the best DL in all of football

Chris Meck
04-04-2020, 07:50 AM
Long-term deals typically lower the cap hit for the current year.

yeah, and then it'll go up next year or the year after. You know, when we have to pay Mahomes somewhere around $40 million dollars.

chiefforlife
04-04-2020, 09:00 AM
This seems to contradict the thread title...

Chris Jones DL, Kansas City Chiefs
NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Chiefs have yet to make an offer to franchise tagged DL Chris Jones.

ESPN's Adam Schefter added the Chiefs are looking to keep Jones and not trade him. Kansas City has been in talks with Jones but there's been no offers to this point. With Patrick Mahomes also in line for an extension, fitting Jones could be tough with the Chiefs running low on cap space. Jones would make $16.1 million if he plays 2020 under the tag.
Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Apr 4, 2020, 10:22 AM ET

Hoover
04-04-2020, 09:24 AM
Just because a team has a ton of cap space doesn't mean it is well run. It probably means the opposite, they lack talent and have drafted poorly. I think the Chiefs $177 in cap space is a testament to Veach's ability to every fucking nickel. Thats what I want my GM to do.

Wilson8
04-04-2020, 09:52 AM
Just because a team has a ton of cap space doesn't mean it is well run. It probably means the opposite, they lack talent and have drafted poorly. I think the Chiefs $177 in cap space is a testament to Veach's ability to every ****ing nickel. Thats what I want my GM to do.

I completely agree with you.

Cleveland Browns has $43 M of cap space. New England Patriots has $893 K of cap space.

As a player for an NFL team, I'd want my team to be spending their cap and taking care of their players.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-04-2020, 02:18 PM
You know what I just realized. Jones 16 mil is already included in the cap and we still have 5 mil to spare. A deal will get done. Veach knows the cap will skyrocket next year. Sign Jones to about 10 mil this year and start giving him 22-23 dollars each year afterwards. Same goes for Mahomes but with a 4 in front of it

Red Dawg
04-04-2020, 03:14 PM
We need like 6 for picks. That 5 mil is for that.

RINGLEADER
04-04-2020, 07:01 PM

Will be interesting to see when rookies sign and if there is language that addresses covid (not sure that’s even possible but throwing it out there).

dlphg9
04-04-2020, 07:21 PM
You know what I just realized. Jones 16 mil is already included in the cap and we still have 5 mil to spare. A deal will get done. Veach knows the cap will skyrocket next year. Sign Jones to about 10 mil this year and start giving him 22-23 dollars each year afterwards. Same goes for Mahomes but with a 4 in front of it

I dont think this is right. Where did you read this?

Edit*

Well you're right according to Spotrac and OTC. That increases my belief that we're extending Jones. I was trying to figure out a way we could afford to extend him with only $5 mil in cap space, but extending him will lower his cap hit for the year and would allow us to resign Breeland.

Both Mack and Donald had low cap hits in their first 2 years of their new contracts, so what we could do is go really low on Jones 1st year, say like $6 or $7 mil and that gives us ~$15 mil in cap space. Have Breeland at $8-$9 mil cap hit and then we have enough to sign rookies. You extend Mahomes this offseason, but he's still playing on the last year of his rookie deal, so he's not gonna cost any extra this year.

It can easily be done.

BossChief
04-04-2020, 07:40 PM

We don’t need that much for picks. We only have 5 picks.

Coogs
04-04-2020, 07:45 PM
We don’t need that much for picks. We only have 5 picks.
https://overthecap.com/draft/

This says we need 5+

Chiefshrink
04-04-2020, 10:19 PM
If Mahomes was getting hit constantly, the QB hit numbers would be much worse than they are.

Not really. We are fortunate for his mobility and intuition skills taking over before getting hit and he still did get hit way too much for my liking regardless.

TEX
04-05-2020, 07:38 AM

Ding...Ding...Ding!
Been trying to tell folks in the, "There's NO WAY KC can afford Jones" crowd that, but most have their minds made up, even though Veach has told us that Jones is in KC's plans.

PAChiefsGuy
04-05-2020, 07:50 AM

22-23 dollars? I'm all for it but I don't think Jones will go for that.

Red Dawg
04-05-2020, 08:01 AM
Making Jones highest paid would be a mistake.

CasselGotPeedOn
04-05-2020, 11:38 AM
What's the point of signing Chris Jones when the NFL won't be back until 2022 at the earliest?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=14887067&postcount=51

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-05-2020, 11:40 AM

Not highest paid cuz that belongs to Donald but Jones is the second best DT in the league

DanT
04-05-2020, 04:20 PM
Just because a team has a ton of cap space doesn't mean it is well run. It probably means the opposite, they lack talent and have drafted poorly. I think the Chiefs $177 in cap space is a testament to Veach's ability to every ****ing nickel. Thats what I want my GM to do.

Exactly. Veach spends his money well. I love having him as our GM.

dlphg9
04-05-2020, 04:47 PM

Youve gotten to the point that you are spamming this shit in all threads about Jones. No fucking substance ever. Just the same shit over and over.

O.city
04-05-2020, 04:52 PM
He’ll be the highest paid guy til the next guy gets his deal

Skyy God
04-05-2020, 05:26 PM
I’m wondering if this is based on economics.

The NFL is negotiating new TV deals in what looks to be a fairly protracted and/or deep recession, and there may be no/little in stadium revenue for 2020.

I think you extend Jones banking on a big 2021 salary cap increase at your peril.

SAUTO
04-05-2020, 05:34 PM

The NFL is negotiating new TV deals in what looks to be a fairly protracted and/or deep recession, and there may be no/little in stadium revenue for 2020.

I think you extend Jones banking on a big 2021 salary cap increase at your peril.

Assholes are puckered

ThyKingdomCome15
04-05-2020, 05:59 PM

I dont know how we keep everybody

DaneMcCloud
04-05-2020, 06:00 PM

Stadium revenue is a mere fraction of the current $11 billion dollar TV contracts. Merchandise is still selling.

Regardless of what happens to the economy, sports broadcasts are recession-proof. People aren't going to turn off their TV's on Saturdays and Sundays because the economy isn't doing well and in fact, it's the polar opposite.

There's absolutely no rush at this point to sign Chris Jones. The Chiefs are Cap Compliant and most likely have enough to sign their rookies before TC begins.

If Jones isn't signed by July 14th, then yeah, it might get a little dicey but the Chiefs will still be Cap Compliant, even if they're carrying $16 million for Jones this season.

DaneMcCloud
04-05-2020, 06:01 PM
I dont know how we keep everybody

Who are the Chiefs going to lose now? As of today?

Red Dawg
04-05-2020, 06:09 PM
Jones deal just seems unlikely.

BossChief
04-05-2020, 06:15 PM
If they find a way to televise Football games this season, it will likely be the most watched season in history.

OKchiefs
04-05-2020, 06:16 PM
If they can't get him signed by the deadline then they fucked up. I guess the new CBA makes holdouts less likely, but he won't be happy and we'll just go through this all over again next year at which point he'll be more expensive and eventually it could be cost prohibitive to even franchise him again.

eDave
04-05-2020, 06:48 PM
If they find a way to televise Football games this season, it will likely be the most watched season in history.

With no crowds?

sounds awful.

ThyKingdomCome15
04-05-2020, 06:58 PM
Who are the Chiefs going to lose now? As of today?

Fair assessment. As of today we have our core of studs. no reason to be a chicken little just yet.

RunKC
04-05-2020, 07:08 PM

That doesn’t mean that him or Pat would be “the highest paid” players any time soon. It would only be in overall money, not in a year-by-year basis. It would be at least 3 years away for both which means players will come off the books freeing up money and the cap will rise.

You look at this the wrong way, but that’s no surprise

OrtonsPiercedTaint
04-05-2020, 07:40 PM
Can you trade for future draft picks. Not knowing if there will even be a college football season

Pitt Gorilla
04-05-2020, 07:49 PM
Exactly. Veach spends his money well. I love having him as our GM.

Yeah, that Hitchens contract was incredible.

DaneMcCloud
04-05-2020, 08:00 PM
Jones deal just seems unlikely.

It doesn't matter.

He'll either play for the Chiefs this season or he'll be traded for draft picks.

And considering that there are a number of guys that need medical re-checks but aren't allowed to have team physicals, it would be better to hang on to Jones for the 2020 season under the Tag instead of trading him for unknowns.

RINGLEADER
04-05-2020, 08:06 PM
With no crowds?

sounds awful.

It will be terrible. I could see them put in fake crowd noise because it’s going to seem really weird.

Like the comedy shows that don’t have audiences anymore. Just isn’t right.

BossChief
04-05-2020, 10:16 PM
Can you trade for future draft picks. Not knowing if there will even be a college football season

I wonder if more college players will declare for the supplemental draft because of that.

BossChief
04-05-2020, 10:19 PM
With no crowds?

sounds awful.

I’m wondering how they will have practices, meetings, film study, weights, etc.

Lots of hurdles.

I’m not seeing how it’s going to happen, but with tens of billions of dollars at stake, I’m sure they will exhaust every route trying to find a way.

bowener
04-06-2020, 08:43 AM

Lots of hurdles.

I’m not seeing how it’s going to happen, but with tens of billions of dollars at stake, I’m sure they will exhaust every route trying to find a way.

The only way I can see practice working is if they sequester the entire team for months and blood test them all regularly. Film can be done easy enough with current tech. Weights... no idea unless this is part of sequestering them.

RINGLEADER
04-06-2020, 01:32 PM

Lots of hurdles.

That should be easy. If they have quick tests then everyone arrives at a preset time and place, stays in car, gets tested and if negative can proceed to park and go in like usual. If positive then do not pass go and head directly home.

Hydrae
04-06-2020, 01:55 PM

That is an interesting question. I have no idea what the answer is though.

tyreekthefreak
04-06-2020, 02:05 PM
That is an interesting question. I have no idea what the answer is though.

Well, you know there will be a draft...

chiefpat49
04-10-2020, 08:05 PM
Heard Teicher on the radio today with Petro, says chiefs have no leverage with Jones and the NFL teams knows it, he thinks they will have to settle for about what they got for Dee Ford, if he is traded, so that would be a late 2nd in 2021.

I would be pissed if that is all we got. I have never been against trading Jones as long as the compensation was fair, but if it comes down to paying him $100 mill and not being able to operate in free agency the next year or two or giving him away, I would rather keep him.

smithandrew051
04-10-2020, 08:08 PM
Heard Teicher on the radio today with Petro, says chiefs have no leverage with Jones and the NFL teams knows it, he thinks they will have to settle for about what they got for Dee Ford, if he is traded, so that would be a late 2nd in 2021.

I would be pissed if that is all we got. I have never been against trading Jones as long as the compensation was fair, but if it comes down to paying him $100 mill and not being able to operate in free agency the next year or two or giving him away, I would rather keep him.

Teicher pretty much always plays the Chiefs contrarian though. I just assume every thing he says is the “worst case scenario”.

Megatron96
04-10-2020, 08:09 PM
We're signing Chris Jones. Write it down.

Veach has always had a plan for this. And CJ wants to be a Chief; it's not like he's itching to be traded in the first place. He just wants his respect. Veach knows this and has always known this. He'll get Chris signed one way or the other. It's chess, people. Get a clue.

TribalElder
04-10-2020, 08:10 PM
Jones will knock Brady out of the game as the Chiefs go back to back SuperBowl Champs!

ROFL

OrtonsPiercedTaint
04-10-2020, 08:11 PM
Stop taking the mystery out of life people!

DaneMcCloud
04-10-2020, 08:11 PM
The Chiefs are currently preparing for the strangest NFL draft in its 101 year history.

There’s absolutely no reason for Veach or anyone else to be negotiating with Chris Jones at this point.

Megatron96
04-10-2020, 08:16 PM
CJ was franchise tagged right? So he's with the team in 2020, and then when the cap goes up in 2021, Veach gets him signed. Done deal.

limested
04-10-2020, 08:17 PM
Teicher pretty much always plays the Chiefs contrarian though. I just assume every thing he says is the “worst case scenario”.

And Petro is a moron.

chop
04-10-2020, 08:34 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but wasn’t Seattle up against the cap when they traded Frank Clark and still got a decent return.

staylor26
04-10-2020, 08:37 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but wasn’t Seattle up against the cap when they traded Frank Clark and still got a decent return.

Yup.

Mahomes_Is_God
04-10-2020, 08:48 PM
With no crowds?

sounds awful.
That's superficial bullshit. It would feel really weird but I can live with it so long as I'm watching my Chiefs.

baitism
04-10-2020, 09:56 PM
This COVID shit will be over by the end of May. You people are ridiculous.

BossChief
04-10-2020, 10:55 PM

Based on...?

Direckshun
04-11-2020, 07:42 AM
Have their been any developments on this front, folks? Don’t feel like reading 100 posts.

Rep to any useful answers.

smithandrew051
04-11-2020, 07:47 AM
Have their been any developments on this front, folks? Don’t feel like reading 100 posts.

No actual developments, but plenty of conjecture and hearsay...those are kinds of developments.

RustShack
04-11-2020, 07:50 AM

Lol

Tribal Warfare
04-11-2020, 07:52 AM

Speculative bullshit from Teicher

DaneMcCloud
04-11-2020, 12:51 PM

Yeah, I'm sure New York and New Jersey will be opened up in 6 weeks.

LMAO

DaneMcCloud
04-11-2020, 12:51 PM
Heard Teicher

Stopped reading

BossChief
04-11-2020, 01:44 PM
Yeah, I'm sure New York and New Jersey will be opened up in 6 weeks.

LMAO

Some of these people are completely clueless.

Red Dawg
04-11-2020, 01:49 PM
Our leverage for a good haul is gone. Every team is certain we are not paying him with the tag or a new deal. We may squeeze a 2 but no way a first. We will have no choice pretty soon.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-11-2020, 02:15 PM

The most recent reports are from Tom Pelissero in which he says the two sides are talking about a contract but no offers have been exchanged yet

FAX
04-11-2020, 02:54 PM

So ...

You just listened in on a conversation between Woody Boyd and Lloyd Christmas and then reported on their conclusion.

Thank you?

FAX

Chargem
04-11-2020, 03:02 PM

From Nate Taylor's Q&A on The Athletic, published yesterday:

Is there any chance that Chris Jones enters next season still on the franchise tag? — Evan W.

The odds of that, I believe, are still low. The Chiefs are entering the next natural deadline to reach a conclusion with Jones with the start of the draft just 13 days away. As I’ve reported before, Jones doesn’t want to play next season on the franchise tag, a one-year salary of $16.1 million, since he desires long-term financial security. The Chiefs have expressed a desire to sign Jones to an extension, although one source last month described the ongoing negotiations as “neutral.”

The Chiefs still need to create more salary cap space ahead of the draft, and the team could add more flexibility in two ways. An extension with Jones would lower his cap hit for next season. Or they could trade Jones, likely ahead of the draft, to free up $16.1 million. Last year, the Chiefs acquired star defensive end Frank Clark, who was franchised-tagged by the Seattle Seahawks, just two days before the start of the draft.

Basically, no news.

Chief Northman
04-12-2020, 07:25 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sending positive vibes y&#39;all way! Happy Easter! I love you all</p>&mdash; Chris Jones (@StoneColdJones) <a href="https://twitter.com/StoneColdJones/status/1249468026333921281?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 12, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Red Dawg
04-12-2020, 07:32 PM
16 mil but he needs financial security. Gawd athletes live in another universe compared to ordinary people.

Vegas_Dave
04-12-2020, 07:40 PM
16 mil but he needs financial security. Gawd athletes live in another universe compared to ordinary people.

Yeah but after taxes... :)

Halfcan
04-12-2020, 07:48 PM

Wallcrawler
04-12-2020, 10:14 PM

Jones is looking at a 100+ million deal, somewhere no doubt.

Settling for 16, in a sport where each snap could be your last, its playing withh fire to sign the tag.

Hes not being selfish or stupid. Hes gotta get his guaranteed money that hes worked hiss ass off for, and frankly, earned.

I have zero ill will if he walks or demands trade.

Kyle DeLexus
04-12-2020, 11:57 PM

You know how much insurance cost on a Ferrari?

BossChief
04-13-2020, 12:10 AM
No reason for KC to rush into signing a deal with huge guaranteed money and a big signing bonus when we might not even have a season. Lots can change for better or worse between now and June 15th.

Chargem
04-13-2020, 03:10 AM
No reason for KC to rush into signing a deal with huge guaranteed money and a big signing bonus when we might not even have a season. Lots can change for better or worse between now and June 15th.

The only problem is, apparently he won't play on the tag so its extension or trade - If they are going to trade him, surely you want it to be before the draft rather than after.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-13-2020, 04:07 AM

July 15th

duncan_idaho
04-13-2020, 07:28 AM

They do. And you know who lives in another universe compared to them?

Owners.

I will never understand people complaining about the millionaires, when the alternative is billionaires pocketing more money.

Modern sports revenue isn't even driven by gate receipts and concessions, like it was in days in the past. Especially in the NFL, it is about TV and ad money. So it's not like paying Chris Jones - or anyone - is taking money out of fans' pockets. You pay for it by watching the games live and viewing commercials.

Dunerdr
04-13-2020, 07:30 AM
Jones will be traded for a single first round pick 29 hours prior to the draft, mark it down.

Mecca
04-13-2020, 07:31 AM
They do. And you know who lives in another universe compared to them?

Owners.

I will never understand people complaining about the millionaires, when the alternative is billionaires pocketing more money.

Modern sports revenue isn't even driven by gate receipts and concessions, like it was in days in the past. Especially in the NFL, it is about TV and ad money. So it's not like paying Chris Jones - or anyone - is taking money out of fans' pockets. You pay for it by watching the games live and viewing commercials.

No matter how many times this is said, there are people who will never get it. It mainly comes down to the average fan doesn't see themselves comparable to an owner, they compare them to the rich guy that owns their company, they think the players are employees just like them and then they get super jealous...and here we are.

TomBarndtsTwin
04-13-2020, 07:39 AM
Jones will be traded for a single first round pick 29 hours prior to the draft, mark it down.

Yeah, I'm kind of leaning towards it coming down to this as well at this point.

I DO think the Chiefs WANT to keep him long term, but I think Jones and his agent are asking for too much money and they're not willing to tie up another $20 mil. + per year in another D-Linemen.

I think it will happen around 48 hours before the draft and the Chiefs will either get a late first or an early second with another pick packaged with that.

We'll see, I guess . . . . . . .

Chris Meck
04-13-2020, 07:55 AM
I think for teams with holes they really need to fill, the draft picks are a bigger risk this year than others.

I think if anything, this makes a sure bet impact player is more valuable, not less.

IF we're going to move Jones, I expect the compensation will be high.

2bikemike
04-13-2020, 10:55 AM
You know how much insurance cost on a Ferrari?

Do you know how much personal property tax is on a Ferrari?

KChiefs1
04-13-2020, 11:02 AM

It will take more than that.

bowener
04-13-2020, 11:08 AM

If true it needs to be pick 8 or lower.

bowener
04-13-2020, 11:11 AM

When you ask for a raise at work do you request that it only be a cost of living adjustment or do you ask for what you believe you are actually worth? You may not make millions per year, but he is doing the exact thing all of us do. I'm currently underpaid and it pisses me off. I did our small company a favor and it has bitten me in the ass majorly. You better believe I'm going to ask to be paid in line with the rest of my industry.

KChiefs1
04-13-2020, 11:15 AM
When you ask for a raise at work do you request that it only be a cost of living adjustment or do you ask for what you believe you are actually worth? You may not make millions per year, but he is doing the exact thing all of us do. I'm currently underpaid and it pisses me off. I did our small company a favor and it has bitten me in the ass majorly. You better believe I'm going to ask to be paid in line with the rest of my industry.

I always took what was offered & felt great to get anything.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
04-13-2020, 11:20 AM

+ a player. May not be anyone most could name

dlphg9
04-13-2020, 11:24 AM
I always took what was offered & felt great to get anything.

Beta puss. You need Prison Bitch to train you in all things alpha.

Dunerdr
04-13-2020, 11:26 AM
+ a player. May not be anyone most could name

Most of you said the Chiefs over payed for Frank Clark, but want more for Jones in the more fucked up offseason on record?

teedubya
04-13-2020, 11:30 AM

Good post, noob.

You too, noob.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
04-13-2020, 11:41 AM
Most of you said the Chiefs over payed for Frank Clark, but want more for Jones in the more ****ed up offseason on record?

I just thought it sounded like Veach's MO

Chief Northman
04-13-2020, 11:49 AM
I highly doubt any team will trade for Jones.

Only a handful of teams have the realistic ammo in terms of picks and capspace, and he is not a scheme fit for the 3-4 teams.

I expect Jones to be extended by KC before the draft to free up space to be able to sign the draft class.

ThaVirus
04-13-2020, 11:55 AM
I highly doubt any team will trade for Jones... he is not a scheme fit for the 3-4 teams.

Why not? He just had nearly 16 sacks in the 3-4.

duncan_idaho
04-13-2020, 12:17 PM

Only a handful of teams have the realistic ammo in terms of picks and capspace, and he is not a scheme fit for the 3-4 teams.

I expect Jones to be extended by KC before the draft to free up space to be able to sign the draft class.

He's a perfect scheme fit for 34 teams. Just as good, if not better, than a 43 undertackle.

OKchiefs
04-13-2020, 12:22 PM

He spent his first 3 years in the 3-4, was drafted into the 3-4, and you think he's not a scheme fit?

TomBarndtsTwin
04-13-2020, 12:38 PM
I think a guy like Chris Jones can fit into ANY defensive scheme.

He’s produced in the 4-3 and the 3-4 just fine.

Chief Northman
04-13-2020, 12:42 PM
He spent his first 3 years in the 3-4, was drafted into the 3-4, and you think he's not a scheme fit?

I think Brendan Daly is the best thing to ever happen to Chris Jones. He’s going to make him a more complete player. I’ll trade the few extra gaudy sack stats he attained under Sutton for the ability to keep him on the field every down and be a dependable run stopper. He wasn’t perfect, but improved a ton being able to play between disciplined edge setters this past year. Don’t get me wrong - Jones is elite - that’s why I want him to remain in KC, but I doubt teams are lining up with huge offers to attain him given both the potential financial and compensation costs.

Dunerdr
04-13-2020, 01:11 PM
I think Brendan Daly is the best thing to ever happen to Chris Jones. He’s going to make him a more complete player. I’ll trade the few extra gaudy sack stats he attained under Sutton for the ability to keep him on the field every down and be a dependable run stopper. He wasn’t perfect, but improved a ton being able to play between disciplined edge setters this past year. Don’t get me wrong - Jones is elite - that’s why I want him to remain in KC, but I doubt teams are lining up with huge offers to attain him given both the potential financial and compensation costs.

What if, and follow me here. It had nothing to do with 3-4 or 4-3, but more to do with Bob Sutton and him just not getting the most out of some players?

SAUTO
04-13-2020, 01:13 PM
DeForest Buckner went to the Colts for number 13 and got a contract but Jones will only bring a 2? GTFO of here with that bull shit

Chief Northman
04-13-2020, 01:28 PM
DeForest Buckner went to the Colts for number 13 and got a contract but Jones will only bring a 2? GTFO of here with that bull shit

Not sure who you are targeting here - I’ve never suggested as such. If I’m Brett Veach, my ask for Jones is astronomical, and rightly so. I just don’t see many teams in a position to pay the compensation price plus take on the salary he will command on a long-term deal. I have always advocated for the Chiefs to re-sign Jones to an extension because everybody knows what he is in Kansas City, and that is one of the best players in the NFL.

duncan_idaho
04-13-2020, 01:31 PM

The Colts set the market for him. They gave up #13 overall in a loaded draft and then gave a huge contract to a slightly lesser player.

Teams that want him should be coming with huge offers. They probably won't find someone desperate enough in the NFC to add interior rush presence to pay quite that price, but someone willing to send a late first and another pick or two, depending on their location, is a reasonable expectation.

If the Chiefs really are listening on Jones, the Seahawks and Bucs are teams that seem like logical trade partners. Ditto on any other contender or wannabe contender that has the cap room (Minnesota? Lions? shit, even teams in other divisions of the AFC like the Browns or Dolphins could be fits).

Because the draft is so wild, we might see teams a little more willing to move a pick for proven producers, especially ones who are elite and just now getting to deal #2.

But I think it's all moot. The Chiefs are going to find a way to extend him.

SAUTO
04-13-2020, 01:32 PM

This is who I was targeting with my post. And anyone else saying we would or should only get a 2.