PDA

View Full Version : News Saints Kicker Tom Dempsey RIP

gblowfish
04-05-2020, 09:35 AM
Dies from virus. Very sad.
https://sports.yahoo.com/tom-dempsey-dies-covid-19-050757256.html

https://www.nola.com/sports/saints/article_f4822bdf-7ef3-522e-8634-54ad5805dc21.html?1586060825397&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebookbatonrouge&utm_campaign=snd&fbclid=IwAR0x94b0XDTW6k8zr0pOoQBvmQfe98uSVGEoiN8-zGLwllatrUALeQuhsbg

Tom Dempsey, whose 63-yard-field goal in 1970 set the NFL record and gave New Orleans Saints fans a rare raucous moment in the franchise's lean early years, died late Saturday of complications from the novel coronavirus, his family said. He was 73.

Dempsey — who overcame astronomical odds to establish what was then considered a virtually unbeatable record — contracted the virus in March during an outbreak at the Lambeth House retirement home in Uptown New Orleans. He is one of at least 15 residents there to die after being stricken with the disease.

Before long-distance place-kicking became a staple of the sport, Dempsey's thunderous boot not only beat the Detroit Lions 19-17 on the last play of the game at Tulane Stadium on Nov. 8, 1970, but also stood as the NFL record for more than four decades. It beat the previous record by a full 7 yards.

The Denver Broncos' Matt Prater bested Dempsey with a 64-yarder in 2013 — 43 years after Dempsey unleashed his cannon-shot opposite Lions' defenders who had been laughing at what they believed to be an impossible attempt.

Before Prater's kick, three others had also hit 63-yarders over the years.

Prater's kick came in the thin air of Denver, 5,000-feet above sea level, as had those by two of the players who tied Dempsey's mark.

When his daughter, Ashley, told Dempsey that his record had finally been eclipsed, he quipped, “Must have been a heckuva kick.”

Nicknamed “Stumpy’’ by teammates, Dempsey seemed an unlikely football hero. He was born without fingers on his right hand or toes on his right foot. He wore a small, flat shoe on his kicking foot that is now on display at the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

As a rookie in 1969, Dempsey delivered an All-Pro season but was cut by the Saints in 1971 after missing seven of eight kicks during preseason, which he attributed to falling out of shape while being treated to countless drinks and meals after his historic kick. But he rebounded and played for several other teams — the Eagles, Rams, Oilers and Bills — before retiring following the 1979 season.

Dempsey's right hand and right foot never deterred him from athletics growing up in Encinitas, California. He was a defensive lineman and kicker for San Dieguito High School, then briefly at Palomar College, where a clash with a coach cut his tenure short. Dempsey continued plying his trade by playing semi-pro ball in Massachusetts and caught on with the Saints after a couple of failed NFL tryouts.

His 63-yarder was one of the few highlights of the Saints' two-win season that year.

The broadcast of the play, along with the playcall from CBS commentator Don Criqui, still makes Saints fans misty-eyed.

“I don’t believe this ...,” Criqui said as the ball sailed nearly two-thirds of the field, then added as the ball cleared the bar by a yard, "It's GOOD! I don't believe it!"

The miraculous moment so moved powerful Louisiana Congressman F. Edward Hebert that he had an account of “The Kick” by Dempsey inserted into the Congressional Record.

After retiring, Dempsey returned to New Orleans with his wife, Carlene. He helped her raise a family and — over the years — worked as an oilfield salesman, coached football at Archbishop Rummel High School and managed a car dealership for the late Tom Benson, who bought the Saints in 1985.

In 2012, Dempsey publicly disclosed that he had been diagnosed with dementia and detailed the treatment he was receiving. He spent the final years of his life at Lambeth House.

Dempsey was diagnosed with COVID-19, the highly contagious respiratory disease, on March 25, Ashley Dempsey said.

She said her father's fight against the virus started promisingly, but his condition gradually worsened.

Doubling his family's pain is that they could not be with him during his final days because Lambeth House residents were quarantined. However, they spoke to him via video chat daily, Ashley Dempsey said.

"We didn't want him to think we had abandoned him," she said. "We wanted him to know we still loved him — always."

In a statement, Saints owner Gayle Benson expressed condolences to Dempsey's family and said, "Tom's life spoke directly to the power of the human spirit and exemplified his resolute determination to not allow setbacks to impede following his dreams and aspirations."

In addition to his wife Carlene and daughter Ashley, Dempsey is survived by children Toby Dempsey (Pamela) and Meghan Dempsey Crosby (Lee), as well as his sister, Janice Dempsey.

He also had three grandchildren: Dylan Dempsey, Logan Dempsey and Quinn Dempsey. Ashley Dempsey said her father always told his family they were his proudest accomplishment — not anything on the gridiron.

Dempsey's family is planning a small funeral for its patriarch due to crowd-size restrictions that officials have implemented indefinitely in an attempt to slow the COVID-19 pandemic. When those are lifted, Ashley Dempsey said, the family will arrange a larger memorial.

Chiefshrink
04-05-2020, 09:37 AM
He would not have been allowed to play in today's league.;)

carcosa
04-05-2020, 09:45 AM
He would not have been allowed to play in today's league.;)

Okay?

LoneWolf
04-05-2020, 10:18 AM
Who knew having a club foot was a mitigating factor?

gblowfish
04-05-2020, 10:23 AM
He was one of the last Groza style straight on kickers. And he did kick the day living shit out of that 63 yarder...at sea level on a damp day. Still in my mind the greatest NFL kick ever.

R Clark
04-05-2020, 10:24 AM
So he had a club hand also?

IowaHawkeyeChief
04-05-2020, 10:48 AM
Good guy, used to say we were Tom Dempsey when in grade school kicking... Most knew who he was for his 63 yarder...

Sounds like the virus ended a long struggle with Dementia since 2012... Dementia is horrible as, RIP Tom.

Rain Man
04-05-2020, 11:22 AM
I remember discussion later that his foot actually gave him an advantage on accuracy. In the days of straight-on kickers, it was easy for a normal foot to hit the ball wrong, whereas he had a big flat surface that seemed like it would be more consistent to strike with. It didn't seem to make his career stats better, though, so it was probably just a random discussion with no merit.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/88/Tom_dempsey.jpg/220px-Tom_dempsey.jpg

Rasputin
04-05-2020, 11:51 AM
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6tcb58Nqubk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If anyone can beat it Buttkicker can

also this showing Buttker kicking a 77 yarder in practice

https://www.12up.com/posts/harrison-butker-77-yard-field-goal-instagram-video-01e53tva0cea

Donger
04-05-2020, 11:53 AM
I remember discussion later that his foot actually gave him an advantage on accuracy. In the days of straight-on kickers, it was easy for a normal foot to hit the ball wrong, whereas he had a big flat surface that seemed like it would be more consistent to strike with. It didn't seem to make his career stats better, though, so it was probably just a random discussion with no merit.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/88/Tom_dempsey.jpg/220px-Tom_dempsey.jpg

There goes the whole F=MA argument.

Valiant
04-05-2020, 12:17 PM

I am sure it helps with distance. I like my old soccer shoes because they are like a rock now compared to my new soft ones. I can kick considerably further.

I would think it balances out though. He can't feel touch as easy I would assume.

I have thought about putting the steel tip from my old work boots in there to test out and just toe blast everything in our kickball league.

alanm
04-05-2020, 12:32 PM
I remember watching that game against the Lions. RIP Tom. :(

Athis
04-05-2020, 12:57 PM
RIP Tom..
Back then I lived close enough to Tulane stadium where I could ride my bike over there and see all the teams ride in on the bus..I remember seeing the Dolphins come in and Coach Shula came over to me and asked if I would come play for him when I get older..I was king of the mountain for a day..Also all the teams that would come in for the Sugar Bowl..

jerryaldini
04-05-2020, 04:48 PM
I always assumed the club foot gave him greater distance. Still regard this as one of the most compelling moments in all sports. I wonder if it will ever be eclipsed below altitude. RIP Tom Dempsey, what a memory you gave us.