PDA

View Full Version : Misc National Parks discussion

mr. tegu
04-13-2020, 06:10 PM
Let’s hear which National Parks you have been to. Your favorites? What do you like doing in them? Any disappointing ones? Any you are wanting to go to next?

I’ve been to Rocky Mountain National Park a bunch of times and have gone almost every year the last about five years. We like hiking and general sight seeing. We stay on the east side in Estes Park. It’s probably the most different and exciting environment you can drive to from Kansas City in the shortest time so it makes it a great easy short or long trip destination.

I’ve also recently been to Everglades, Yosemite, Kings Canyon, and Sequioa. Though not officially national parks we also went to Cabrillo National Monument and Golden Gate National Recreation Area recently.

Growing up I was able to go to Great Sand Dunes, Mesa Verde, and Yellowstone as well but can’t recall too much about those and really want to get back to them. In looking I think making it to Glacier at the same time as Yellowstone would also work.

I really need to go to the ones in Utah, especially Zion. I really wanted to get to Dry Tortugas when we were in the keys but just couldn’t fit it in so that’s another one on my list. A few others I’m eyeing are Grand Canyon, Denali, Katmai, and Kenai Fjords.

I think Sequioa was a little disappointing for us since we were not there long and didn’t get to do much besides look at the giant sequoias. They are amazing but the drive from Yosemite and back in one day is long, longer than we thought it would be, so I definitely wouldn’t recommend that.

Why Not?
04-13-2020, 06:23 PM
Grand Canyon brah! Overhyped and touristy, sure. But man it sure is beautiful. And great hikes and walks to be had. Volcano is well worth it for many reasons. Zion is nice as well, from what I can recall as a kid. My wife, before she fucked up her knees, ran one of those crazy team run all day deals(Ragnar maybe?)a few years back in Zion. She said it was pretty cool

mr. tegu
04-13-2020, 06:35 PM
Grand Canyon brah! Overhyped and touristy, sure. But man it sure is beautiful. And great hikes and walks to be had. Volcano is well worth it for many reasons. Zion is nice as well, from what I can recall as a kid. My wife, before she fucked up her knees, ran one of those crazy team run all day deals(Ragnar maybe?)a few years back in Zion. She said it was pretty cool

I’ve heard it’s somewhat overhyped but I think it depends on your perspective going in. Some people I’m sure just see a big hole and that’s kind of it so I can see how they may not enjoy it that much but I really enjoy thinking about the processes that created it and looking back through time through it’s rocks. I think I want to do the Bright Angel Trail to the bottom.

Why Not?
04-13-2020, 06:41 PM
I’ve heard it’s somewhat overhyped but I think it depends on your perspective going in. Some people I’m sure just see a big hole and that’s kind of it so I can see how they may not enjoy it that much but I really enjoy thinking about the processes that created it and looking back through time through it’s rocks. I think I want to do the Bright Angel Trail to the bottom.

Yeah the wife and my dad did that hike late 2018. They loved it. Wish I liked hiking or running. Lol.

Munson
04-13-2020, 06:44 PM
Arches National Park
Canyonlands National Park
Bryce Canyon National Park
Zion National Park
Grand Canyon National Park

I loved all of them, but didn't get to spend nearly enough time exploring each one.

Wilson8
04-13-2020, 06:49 PM
I've been to most of the National Parks and have never been disappointed with the actual natural wonders. There are still a few like Glacier National Park and Joshua Tree National Park that I would like to visit.

Most people visiting there in their cars, motorcycles, trucks and RVs are usually pretty nice. They are usually there because they enjoy the natural beauty. What I have been very disappointed with is the bus loads of tourists. I am sure they have spent a lot of money and time to get there, but they are usually very rude with pushing in front and act very self important.

mr. tegu
04-13-2020, 06:55 PM
Arches National Park
Canyonlands National Park
Bryce Canyon National Park
Zion National Park
Grand Canyon National Park

I loved all of them, but didn't get to spend nearly enough time exploring each one.

Did you do Angel’s Landing in Zion?

frozenchief
04-13-2020, 06:57 PM
Denali is a bit touristy. Travel to Fairbanks is generally pretty empty until all of a sudden in Denali there is about a mile of highway that has restaurants, hotels, shops, gas stations and other businesses. They're open from May through September.

Denali national park does NOT include Denali mountain. You might be able to see it on the trip up, but there are frequently clouds that obscure the top. Denali the mountain is the tallest natural object on land. Everest has a higher peak, but Everest base camp is at about 14,000 feet, so Mt. Everest itself is only about 14,000. The basecamp of Denali is at about 80 feet, so Denali is about 20some thousand feet. The height of Denali and surrounding mountains, like Forraker and Hunter, really affect the weather so its fairly common for the summit to be obscured, even on otherwise cloudy days.

Denali NP generally does not permit vehicles, so most people ride on a tour bus way into the park and then turn around and come back. Private vehicles are generally not allowed. What most people don't realize is that it's a day long trip into the park and then back, riding on a bus and looking out the window. Not terribly exciting, if you ask me, but then, I've been all around this state and I've seen lots of animals and country so the idea of taking a day long bus ride with a bunch of other people to see country and animals quite similar to what I have seen doesn't necessarily thrill me.

But ... Kenai (pronounced "key-nigh") National Fjords park is a different story. The port of entry is Seward, which is a great town. Home to the Sea Life Center as well as lots of sea otters, a good brewery, several restaurants, and Alaska's high security prison (although that's well off the beaten trail), I would recommend visiting Kenai National Fjords over Denali NP. Take a boat trip through the park. It is stunningly gorgeous and you will see puffins, whales, otters, more birds than you can count, WWII gunnery positions, harbor seals floating on chunks of ice, and immense glaciers coming into the water. If you're fortunate, you can see the glaciers calve.

If you go, wear appropriate clothing. You should wear several layers. Wear waterproof shoes and warm socks. Make sure some of your layers are fleece and bring a rain coat. The tours go rain or shine and while there is a dry cabin on these tours, getting cold and wet makes for a miserable day. And even if it looks like the weather will be warm, which would be low 70s, you will be cold because you are surrounded by water that is in the high 30s. When you get to the glacier, you will feel the cold emanating off the glacier and off the water. Trust me, you can always take off layers if you are warm. But if you don't bring enough, you will be cold. I've done the tour in May when it opens up (cold), June (chilly) and late August (cold and rainy). I have on thick socks. I usually wear a long-sleeved poly-pro shirt, something fleece, another layer of either fleece or a thick hoody, and a rain jacket. But it is worth it. I've seen sheep on the hills, black and brown bears foraging, otters, whales, dolphins and scenery like no other. It is well worth it.

While I have not been to Katmai National Park, I lived for several years in SW Alaska about 60 miles west of there. Most people go there to view bears. There's a live cam for the bears that come to feed in the river so you can check to see what the activity is before you decide to spend the money. That is, if there aren't really any bears on the cameras, and there haven't been for a few days, you are better off saving your money.
It's an hour-ish flight from Anchorage, so it's an easy day trip. THe number of bears will depend upon the salmon runs, so if you're early in the season, the bears might not have come down to the river yet. If I were deciding on when I would go, I would go the first week or two of July. Lot more likely to have warm, sunny weather, fish runs should put bears on the fish and the bears should have enough fish that they won't be cantankerous.

If you (or anyone else reading this, for that matter) decide you are going to come up here, PM me. I'll be glad to make recommendations about places to go, things to see and do and where to eat and stay.

mr. tegu
04-13-2020, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the information about Denali. I had no idea you were mostly confined to bus options. That would not suit me at all. So you said private vehicles aren’t generally allowed. Does that mean at times they are? And what is the reasoning on that?

I definitely need to go there regardless to see Mount Denali because as you said it’s just amazing even in photos to see how towering it is. I can’t find a gif of it but there was a documentary showing clouds moving through and you initially see these lower mountains which are impressive on their own and as the clouds clear you realize there is another 10,000 feet above them.

eDave
04-13-2020, 07:07 PM

I've yet to see it, and I know it will blow me away. Saw it from an airplane once and it was surreal then.

So much beauty in AZ that I haven't ventured out to see.

Monticore
04-13-2020, 07:07 PM
Any Segway friendly parks , that’s my jam.

Why Not?
04-13-2020, 07:10 PM
I've yet to see it, and I know it will blow me away. Saw it from an airplane once and it was surreat then.

So much beauty in AZ that I haven't ventured out to see.

Yeah it’s funny how that works when you live in a place. I honestly just saw it myself in 2017

Munson
04-13-2020, 07:19 PM

Yup. It was the #1 reason I wanted to visit Zion, and I was not disappointed. The view from the top of Angel's Landing was epic. It doesn't matter how many pictures you see, or how many videos you watch. You'd have to see it in person to fully appreciate it.

Megatron96
04-13-2020, 07:26 PM
Oh boy . . . okay here goes:

Yellowstone: only went once as a kid, need to go back.

Grand Canyon: been several times, always impressed.

Bryce: stunning

Arches: like Bryce, just incredible

Capitol Reef: only been once, and it was a drive-thru. Need to spend a few days there

Redwood State and National Park: the trees are just unbelievable. Can't be described and pictures just don't them any justice.

Sequoia: Don't remember much about this park. I was probably 7-8 when I went.

Crater Lake: only went here once, and only had a few hours to spend there. But the crater is impressive, as is the massive hotel.

Death Valley: Did a camping weekend one late fall, incredible place.

Everglades: caught some nice bass here. Only jungle I've ever been in.

Yosemite: must-see

Glacier: this place is pretty amazing, but in recent years as the glaciers have all melted away, it's become one of the sadder places I've visited.

Great Smoky Mountains:

RMSP: great fishing and camping here.

Haleakala: went here during my honeymoon. Spectacular place. Kind of the Hawaiian version of the Grand Canyon.

Hot Springs: So they have hot springs here

Mammoth Cave: cave is huge. Tour is not the greatest.

Mesa Verde: only been once, but can't wait to get here. You really need several days here.

Mt. Ranier: mountain is awe-inspiring.

Petrified Forest: this place makes you feel like dinosaurs are still roaming the Earth.

Saguaro: Hot

Shennandoah: beautiful. Great fishing.

White Sands: not just sand dunes here. Wooly mammoth footprint fossils, crazy crystal formations, etc.

Zion: lots of cool rock formations, great camping. Even some fishing opportunities in fantastic surroundings.

Would love to see the Badlands, and Denali and well just about any of the great parks in Alaska. Also would like to see Theordore Roosevelt National Park, and Olympic. Johsua Tree is another park that I'd like to see.

POND_OF_RED
04-13-2020, 07:33 PM
I lived outside of Yellowstone for a few summers so that one is always most dear to my heart, but it’s very touristy obviously. One of the best kept secret ones I’ve been to is Chaco Canyon in New Mexico. The ancient ruins there are pretty amazing to walk around and there were like 20 people there the day I went. Middle of nowhere. They have full moon hikes that you hike around there at night by only the night sky. I definitely want to go back for one of those hikes.

OnTheWarpath15
04-13-2020, 07:35 PM

I enjoyed the Grand Canyon - but I'd add that if you are even remotely afraid of heights - do NOT drive in on AZ-64 from the east. Parts that make you feel like you're going to drive straight into the canyon.

Also, take plenty of pictures as you may catch someone's last moment before falling to their death.*

*these people did not fall to my knowledge, but I'm shocked multiple people don't die there daily.

https://i.ibb.co/7QQzgsm/IMG-5864.jpg (https://ibb.co/vhhBs0n)

Megatron96
04-13-2020, 07:36 PM
I lived outside of Yellowstone for a few summers so that one is always most dear to my heart, but it’s very touristy obviously. One of the best kept secret ones I’ve been to is Chaco Canyon in New Mexico. The ancient ruins there are pretty amazing to walk around and there were like 20 people there the day I went. Middle of nowhere. They have full moon hikes that you hike around there at night by only the night sky. I definitely want to go back for one of those hikes.

Chaco is another place I need to check out. The NG episodes I've seen are fascinating.

rydogg58
04-13-2020, 07:36 PM
I know it's not a National Park, but Devils Tower is incredible. We went to the Black Hills and Mt. Rushmore last year and swung by Devils Tower on our way back. All three are beautiful places to spend some time.

We've been to Theodore Roosevelt National Park is one we've been to about a half dozen times. It's got a lot of walking trails and driving trails, so you can choose how you want to view it. There's a little touristy town called Medora right by it, kind of like a little Branson, if you are into that. Never been, but the locals up here love it.

Rain Man
04-13-2020, 07:39 PM
By definition, all national parks are amazing. It's hard to get designated as a national park unless there's something amazing there.

I've done most of the parks in the Rocky Mountain West from North Dakota down to Arizona, and not a lot outside that region. I've done Death Valley and Olympia and I'm sure a few others outside the Rockies that I'm forgetting. I can't recall one that I've visited east of the Great Plains.

A few things that jump out to me are:

Grand Canyon
Bryce
The cliff houses in Mesa Verde
Road to the Sky in Glacier

Rain Man
04-13-2020, 07:41 PM
I enjoyed the Grand Canyon - but I'd add that if you are even remotely afraid of heights - do NOT drive in on AZ-64 from the east. Parts that make you feel like your going to drive straight into the canyon.

Also, take plenty of pictures as you may catch someone's last moment before falling to their death.*

*these people did not fall to my knowledge, but I'm shocked multiple people don't die there daily.

Yeah, the dropoffs there are ludicrous. I too am astounded that you can just walk up to a 1,000 foot dropoff with no fence or rail.

eDave
04-13-2020, 07:42 PM
I enjoyed the Grand Canyon - but I'd add that if you are even remotely afraid of heights - do NOT drive in on AZ-64 from the east. Parts that make you feel like you're going to drive straight into the canyon.

https://i.ibb.co/7QQzgsm/IMG-5864.jpg (https://ibb.co/vhhBs0n)

That pic freaked me out.

OnTheWarpath15
04-13-2020, 07:42 PM
Yeah, the dropoffs there are ludicrous. I too am astounded that you can just walk up to a 1,000 foot dropoff with no fence or rail.

When I was there, people were walking around or climbing over the rail in certain areas.

mr. tegu
04-13-2020, 07:43 PM
The only disappointing thing about our last trip to Yosemite was that we were there in September and the waterfalls were mostly gone. So if you want to go there for what it’s known for you definitely need to go in spring and summer.

OnTheWarpath15
04-13-2020, 07:43 PM
That pic freaked me out.

I had to walk away - I was certain I was going to witness someone's death.

mr. tegu
04-13-2020, 07:45 PM

That sounds awesome at night. I’m guessing that would be a great place to see the Milky Way if they have night time hikes. I’ve never been able to get a really good look at it.

mr. tegu
04-13-2020, 07:47 PM
Yup. It was the #1 reason I wanted to visit Zion, and I was not disappointed. The view from the top of Angel's Landing was epic. It doesn't matter how many pictures you see, or how many videos you watch. You'd have to see it in person to fully appreciate it.

Nice. It looks pretty scary so is it really bad or can most people deal with it? I’d be fine but if it’s too intense my wife may not make it. It reminds me of the cables up the backside of Half Done that you can do in that you better hold on no matter what.

mr. tegu
04-13-2020, 07:49 PM
By definition, all national parks are amazing. It's hard to get designated as a national park unless there's something amazing there.

I've done most of the parks in the Rocky Mountain West from North Dakota down to Arizona, and not a lot outside that region. I've done Death Valley and Olympia and I'm sure a few others outside the Rockies that I'm forgetting. I can't recall one that I've visited east of the Great Plains.

A few things that jump out to me are:

Grand Canyon
Bryce
The cliff houses in Mesa Verde
Road to the Sky in Glacier

Do you drive to those parks in Utah one at a time or have you done multiples in one trip?

Graystoke
04-13-2020, 07:50 PM
Been going to Utah the last 7 years for vacations. Visited each and every National Park in Utah and by far my favorite area is Capitol Reef.
Great hiking, fishing, small towns and the motorcycling is amazing.
Love freaking Utah

OnTheWarpath15
04-13-2020, 07:53 PM

Nice. It looks pretty scary so is it really bad or can most people deal with it? I’d be fine but if it’s too intense my wife may not make it. It reminds me of the cables up the backside of Half Done that you can do in that you better hold on no matter what.

Fuck RIGHT OFF with that shit.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jy6K0KoMrco" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Megatron96
04-13-2020, 07:54 PM
Been going to Utah the last 7 years for vacations. Visited each and every National Park in Utah and by far my favorite area is Capitol Reef.
Love freaking Utah

I keep going back to UT for the fishing. Some of the best fishing anywhere is on Boulder Mountain. Only issue is having to hike several miles into just about every piece of good water. At 10,000 ft. with a 30-lb. pack, that gets harder and harder every year.

Rain Man
04-13-2020, 07:57 PM
Do you drive to those parks in Utah one at a time or have you done multiples in one trip?

We did Zion, Bryce, and Arches on one trip many years ago in our first exploration of Utah. It was a nice 2 or 3 week trip.

Since then, we've been back to Arches a couple of times on shorter trips. It's not that far from Denver. But a couple of times we've extended it down to Monument Valley or the Grand Canyon. Monument Valley's not a national park, but I'd put it right up there with the best national parks. It's amazing.

Graystoke
04-13-2020, 08:06 PM
I keep going back to UT for the fishing. Some of the best fishing anywhere is on Boulder Mountain. Only issue is having to hike several miles into just about every piece of good water. At 10,000 ft. with a 30-lb. pack, that gets harder and harder every year.

Sounds like fun.
That's in Dixie National Forrest near Boulder the town?
Of course Dixie is huge. We stumbled on a town called Duck Creek Village in Dixie sort of close to Brian Head and it was an ATV Town, but had all kinds of good trout fishing

Graystoke
04-13-2020, 08:09 PM
We did Zion, Bryce, and Arches on one trip many years ago in our first exploration of Utah. It was a nice 2 or 3 week trip.

Since then, we've been back to Arches a couple of times on shorter trips. It's not that far from Denver. But a couple of times we've extended it down to Monument Valley or the Grand Canyon. Monument Valley's not a national park, but I'd put it right up there with the best national parks. It's amazing.

Yeah, Monument Valley is cool, but access is difficult because its all Navajo land. Its like they put the brakes on the normal Utah. I've grown accustomed to.

mr. tegu
04-13-2020, 08:10 PM

So unfortunately it definitely doesn’t seem feasible to do the Utah parks within a week then.

Graystoke
04-13-2020, 08:12 PM
So unfortunately it definitely doesn’t seem feasible to do the Utah parks within a week then.

No.
Unless you don't get out of the car.
Pick two within close proximity.
Like Arches/Canyonlands/Deadhorse

Rain Man
04-13-2020, 08:12 PM

You could probably do an abbreviated tour. Bryce highlights could be done in a day, add in two days for driving, and then two days each at the other two parks. It depends on if you're wanting to hike a lot or if you just want to drive in, look at the highlights, and move on.

Dartgod
04-13-2020, 08:18 PM

I posted my pictures in another thread the other day.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=14891192&postcount=108

**** RIGHT OFF with that shit.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jy6K0KoMrco" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's really not that sketchy. Just pay attention to where you are walking and it's a piece of cake. If you want to enjoy the scenery on the way up, STOP, take your pictures and move on.

mr. tegu
04-13-2020, 08:18 PM
You could probably do an abbreviated tour. Bryce highlights could be done in a day, add in two days for driving, and then two days each at the other two parks. It depends on if you're wanting to hike a lot or if you just want to drive in, look at the highlights, and move on.

Definitely we will want to hike and take time to enjoy the scenery. I had looked at them last summer to maybe plan something for this year but my thought was it would be too much driving with too little park time. Good to know that’s certainly the case.

mr. tegu
04-13-2020, 08:21 PM
Love freaking Utah

Fishing is definitely something I need to work in on future trips. Do you find it hard to get that in if you have people you are with who aren’t into fishing? Or has that not been something you’ve had to consider?

frozenchief
04-13-2020, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the information about Denali. I had no idea you were mostly confined to bus options. That would not suit me at all. So you said private vehicles aren’t generally allowed. Does that mean at times they are? And what is the reasoning on that?

I definitely need to go there regardless to see Mount Denali because as you said it’s just amazing even in photos to see how towering it is. I can’t find a gif of it but there was a documentary showing clouds moving through and you initially see these lower mountains which are impressive on their own and as the clouds clear you realize there is another 10,000 feet above them.

Denali has a road lottery in early September. People apply for a ticket and then can then drive their car through the park. this means, though, that you are one car in a long procession through the park. you have to apply for the road lottery and I dont know if you have to be an Alaska resident. They started this because the traffic from private traffic just got too much.

If you want to see Denali, you can accomplish the same thing by staying in Talkeetna and then flight seeing to the mountain. You can frequently land on the mountain, even a glacier. That’s a far better way to see the mountain than going through the park because the park is about 150 miles north of the mountain.

Megatron96
04-13-2020, 08:28 PM
Sounds like fun.
That's in Dixie National Forrest near Boulder the town?
Of course Dixie is huge. We stumbled on a town called Duck Creek Village in Dixie sort of close to Brian Head and it was an ATV Town, but had all kinds of good trout fishing

Yeah, it's in Dixie. The turn-off we take for Boulder Mountain is just a few dozen miles past Boulder, the town. The little diner there is great, btw. Little pricey, but great food and the pies . . . I don't even like pie that much, but that place is special.

Rain Man
04-13-2020, 08:28 PM
Definitely we will want to hike and take time to enjoy the scenery. I had looked at them last summer to maybe plan something for this year but my thought was it would be too much driving with too little park time. Good to know that’s certainly the case.

At some point I'd like to hike to the bottom of the Grand Canyon. There's a nice trail down from the village. I don't remember the elevation change, but it would be a workout.

L.A. Chieffan
04-13-2020, 08:30 PM
Zion is beautiful I did Angels landing a few years back.

I think Yosemite is still my favorite, last year we hiked Half-Dome. Insane but worth it.

Grand Canyon of course it's amazing, if you can try the North Rim much less touristy

Renegade
04-13-2020, 08:35 PM
Anyone else use the NP Passport book and get a stamp of each NP visited?

mr. tegu
04-13-2020, 08:37 PM
Zion is beautiful I did Angels landing a few years back.

I think Yosemite is still my favorite, last year we hiked Half-Dome. Insane but worth it.

Grand Canyon of course it's amazing, if you can try the North Rim much less touristy

I always feel obligated to visit the most well known areas the places are most known for but I’m guessing for Grand Canyon unless you just have to see Horseshoe Bend it’s probably pretty comparable everywhere.

lewdog
04-13-2020, 08:38 PM
I've been to a decent amount of National Parks.

Glacier National Park is by far and away the best. Loop in Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks and you've got the trip of a lifetime.

You're welcome.

mr. tegu
04-13-2020, 08:40 PM
Anyone else use the NP Passport book and get a stamp of each NP visited?

I collect pins so I just get a pin for each one but that passport book sounds cool as well. There are 62 National Parks and it would great to collect each one.

Megatron96
04-13-2020, 08:40 PM
One of my favorite little lakes on Boulder Mtn.:
https://scontent.fphx1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-0/p180x540/12772046_10208451212735038_2363704093307102421_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=CsZM3YdB1akAX9UVug8&_nc_ht=scontent.fphx1-1.fna&_nc_tp=6&oh=d964551cb70f25705a056bd2410e2781&oe=5EBBDD35
Big splake:
https://scontent.fphx1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-0/p180x540/12768342_10208451214735088_2397690952130819167_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=iWrry-zM-SUAX9RyrBE&_nc_ht=scontent.fphx1-2.fna&_nc_tp=6&oh=7c0ccefe13e8ce981be1be5d24c3882b&oe=5EB98D92

18 inch tiger trout:
https://scontent.fphx1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-0/p180x540/12794707_10208451213735063_136141999126030763_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=Bq_fq1huDxYAX_jlZF9&_nc_ht=scontent.fphx1-2.fna&_nc_tp=6&oh=6c866cce987746e2c6aaa8cec56187de&oe=5EB8CFFF

Another tiger:
https://scontent.fphx1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-0/p180x540/12068395_10208451212575034_4982096578759793350_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=MKM8N_MsrPQAX9tgcLu&_nc_ht=scontent.fphx1-1.fna&_nc_tp=6&oh=dd39144f688dab0fdf7f92d2b33f6d24&oe=5EBAB351

A few pics from Crater Lake:
https://scontent.fphx1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/p206x206/22380_1334968131443_6971366_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=e007fa&_nc_ohc=Wvt9gAlCtkcAX9V40Ac&_nc_ht=scontent.fphx1-1.fna&_nc_tp=6&oh=b6bbf9279900d30a6bca2bbbe5246831&oe=5EB9E2BC
https://scontent.fphx1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/22380_1334968091442_6299144_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=e007fa&_nc_ohc=HdF0OoQkJKAAX8hnf7W&_nc_ht=scontent.fphx1-1.fna&oh=deecc31bcf1b6f0393ce3f88c64cccb0&oe=5EBB96EE
https://scontent.fphx1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/22380_1334967971439_1570229_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=e007fa&_nc_ohc=r9e-ut7ZkW0AX9CHLgg&_nc_ht=scontent.fphx1-2.fna&oh=010b5aef65b95f23e3a02837d29562c9&oe=5EBB6D34

mr. tegu
04-13-2020, 08:42 PM
I've been to a decent amount of National Parks.

Glacier National Park is by far and away the best. Loop in Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks and you've got the trip of a lifetime.

You're welcome.

That’s been my plan. You can fly into Bozeman, MT and rent a car and pretty much be there right away. From what I understand Glacier is almost a guaranteed bear encounter.

lewdog
04-13-2020, 08:44 PM
That’s been my plan. You can fly into Bozeman, MT and rent a car and pretty much be there right away. From what I understand Glacier is almost a guaranteed bear encounter.

Bozeman and Glacier are not close. That's a 5 hour drive.

Missoula would be closer, 3ish hours.

I've seen numerous grizzlies in my life. Fastest way to shit your pants.

jerryaldini
04-13-2020, 08:51 PM
Denali is a bit touristy. Travel to Fairbanks is generally pretty empty until all of a sudden in Denali there is about a mile of highway that has restaurants, hotels, shops, gas stations and other businesses. They're open from May through September.

Denali national park does NOT include Denali mountain. You might be able to see it on the trip up, but there are frequently clouds that obscure the top. Denali the mountain is the tallest natural object on land. Everest has a higher peak, but Everest base camp is at about 14,000 feet, so Mt. Everest itself is only about 14,000. The basecamp of Denali is at about 80 feet, so Denali is about 20some thousand feet. The height of Denali and surrounding mountains, like Forraker and Hunter, really affect the weather so its fairly common for the summit to be obscured, even on otherwise cloudy days.

Denali NP generally does not permit vehicles, so most people ride on a tour bus way into the park and then turn around and come back. Private vehicles are generally not allowed. What most people don't realize is that it's a day long trip into the park and then back, riding on a bus and looking out the window. Not terribly exciting, if you ask me, but then, I've been all around this state and I've seen lots of animals and country so the idea of taking a day long bus ride with a bunch of other people to see country and animals quite similar to what I have seen doesn't necessarily thrill me.

But ... Kenai (pronounced "key-nigh") National Fjords park is a different story. The port of entry is Seward, which is a great town. Home to the Sea Life Center as well as lots of sea otters, a good brewery, several restaurants, and Alaska's high security prison (although that's well off the beaten trail), I would recommend visiting Kenai National Fjords over Denali NP. Take a boat trip through the park. It is stunningly gorgeous and you will see puffins, whales, otters, more birds than you can count, WWII gunnery positions, harbor seals floating on chunks of ice, and immense glaciers coming into the water. If you're fortunate, you can see the glaciers calve.

If you go, wear appropriate clothing. You should wear several layers. Wear waterproof shoes and warm socks. Make sure some of your layers are fleece and bring a rain coat. The tours go rain or shine and while there is a dry cabin on these tours, getting cold and wet makes for a miserable day. And even if it looks like the weather will be warm, which would be low 70s, you will be cold because you are surrounded by water that is in the high 30s. When you get to the glacier, you will feel the cold emanating off the glacier and off the water. Trust me, you can always take off layers if you are warm. But if you don't bring enough, you will be cold. I've done the tour in May when it opens up (cold), June (chilly) and late August (cold and rainy). I have on thick socks. I usually wear a long-sleeved poly-pro shirt, something fleece, another layer of either fleece or a thick hoody, and a rain jacket. But it is worth it. I've seen sheep on the hills, black and brown bears foraging, otters, whales, dolphins and scenery like no other. It is well worth it.

While I have not been to Katmai National Park, I lived for several years in SW Alaska about 60 miles west of there. Most people go there to view bears. There's a live cam for the bears that come to feed in the river so you can check to see what the activity is before you decide to spend the money. That is, if there aren't really any bears on the cameras, and there haven't been for a few days, you are better off saving your money.
It's an hour-ish flight from Anchorage, so it's an easy day trip. THe number of bears will depend upon the salmon runs, so if you're early in the season, the bears might not have come down to the river yet. If I were deciding on when I would go, I would go the first week or two of July. Lot more likely to have warm, sunny weather, fish runs should put bears on the fish and the bears should have enough fish that they won't be cantankerous.

If you (or anyone else reading this, for that matter) decide you are going to come up here, PM me. I'll be glad to make recommendations about places to go, things to see and do and where to eat and stay.

Excellent summary. My first trip to Alaska was in early September. Denali got snowed in so I headed south to Kenai (could hitchhike back then). It was spectacular. Homer on the other side is worth a trip as well.

The magic of Denali is getting off the one road that bisects the park and out into the backcountry. They limit the visitors in each unit so you see no one. Back in the day I'd go backpacking by myself for a week. Scary at times with the grizzly and moose (moose in fall gave me trouble) but man the color of the tundra in late August and the mountain, and mostly the absolute unadulterated wilderness. Seeing a grizzly up close frosted in snow, and a lone wolf out hunting in one day. Nothing like it in the US. Now that my kids are almost grown I want to get back.

mr. tegu
04-13-2020, 08:53 PM
Bozeman and Glacier are not close. That's a 5 hour drive.

Missoula would be closer, 3ish hours.

I've seen numerous grizzlies in my life. Fastest way to shit your pants.

My thought process was to start near Yellowstone to avoid a long first day drive with the understanding that either way we’d have to make the drive from there to Glacier at some point which is why I was thinking there. Probably wouldn’t make much difference either way.

frozenchief
04-13-2020, 08:54 PM
Excellent summary. My first trip to AK was in early September. Denali got snowed in so I headed south to Kenai (could hitchhike back then). It was spectacular. Homer on the other side is worth a trip as well.

The magic of Denali is getting off the one road that bisects the park and out into the backcountry. They limit the visitors in each unit so you see no one. Back in the day I'd go backpacking by myself for a week. Scary at times with the grizzly and moose (moose in fall gave me trouble) but man the color of the tundra in late August and the mountain, and mostly the absolute unadulterated wilderness. Seeing a grizzly up close frosted in snow, and a lone wolf out hunting in one day. Nothing like it in the US. Now that my kids are almost grown I want to get back.

Homer is well worth the trip, but I don’t think that there’s a national park on that side of the peninsula. OP mentioned Kenai Fjords, which is one of my favorite places to visit but I agree with you: If you take the time to go see Seward, hop over to the other side of the peninsula and see Homer.

mr. tegu
04-13-2020, 08:58 PM
Denali has a road lottery in early September. People apply for a ticket and then can then drive their car through the park. this means, though, that you are one car in a long procession through the park. you have to apply for the road lottery and I dont know if you have to be an Alaska resident. They started this because the traffic from private traffic just got too much.

If you want to see Denali, you can accomplish the same thing by staying in Talkeetna and then flight seeing to the mountain. You can frequently land on the mountain, even a glacier. That’s a far better way to see the mountain than going through the park because the park is about 150 miles north of the mountain.

So I looked up the car lottery. They give out 400 for each day, and do so for four days which are in September. They said you have about a 1 in 7 chance of getting one. And even then you can only go as far as the roads are open at that time. Definitely seems like a lot of trouble and uncertainty whereas your suggestion seems like a pretty good option.

lewdog
04-13-2020, 09:01 PM
My thought process was to start near Yellowstone to avoid a long first day drive with the understanding that either way we’d have to make the drive from there to Glacier at some point which is why I was thinking there. Probably wouldn’t make much difference either way.

Good thought process then.

Do that trip and find a way to get the Grand Tetons in there.....better than Yellowstone IMO.

mr. tegu
04-13-2020, 09:04 PM
Good thought process then.

Do that trip and find a way to get the Grand Tetons in there.....better than Yellowstone IMO.

One thing that does concern me about Yellowstone in my recent research is that it’s crowded and the space between the best sites is huge. Though you always have a chance for good wildlife sightings. That how you remember it?

Rain Man
04-13-2020, 09:18 PM
One thing that does concern me about Yellowstone in my recent research is that it’s crowded and the space between the best sites is huge. Though you always have a chance for good wildlife sightings. That how you remember it?

Yellowstone is enormous. I did a Badlands-Glacier-Tetons-Yellowstone trip last year, and we spent a couple of nights at two different places in the park that were probably 20 miles apart, and neither of them was even close to the park borders. They were both probably 20 miles inside the park.

If you do Yellowstone, I think the highlight is the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. Stay at the Canyon Lodge for a night and you can get there really easily. We did that for a couple of nights and then went down to the Lake Hotel, which had gorgeous views of the lake.

lewdog
04-13-2020, 09:24 PM

Yellowstone is always crowded. Glacier is huge and the crowds, even in busy season, are not really noticeable.

You see more animals in Yellowstone.

Glacier is vast and densely covered with trees and very mountainous. Also, bear sightings are actually pretty rare compared to what people tell you in Glacier. Seeing a grizzly in Glacier is VERY rare. I've been to Glacier over 50 times and have only seen 3 grizzly bears ever.

Bwana
04-13-2020, 10:57 PM
Yellowstone is always crowded. Glacier is huge and the crowds, even in busy season, are not really noticeable.

You see more animals in Yellowstone.

Glacier is vast and densely covered with trees and very mountainous. Also, bear sightings are actually pretty rare compared to what people tell you in Glacier. Seeing a grizzly in Glacier is VERY rare. I've been to Glacier over 50 times and have only seen 3 grizzly bears ever.

Yes it is and people are always doing stupid stuff, like stopping in the middle of the road on a blind curve for a squirrel jam. If I never go through there again, it will be too soon. Glacier is the park to visit.

heapshake
04-13-2020, 11:53 PM
A couple that I've been to that haven't been mentioned are Big Bend, Carlsbad Caverns and Guadalupe Mountains.

Big Bend is pretty impressive. It goes from scrub land to mountains to the Rio Grande. It is hard to believe that folks ranched and farmed the land. There is an house called Luna Jacal that is about 4 feet tall and 30 feet long. Apparently a farmer lived in it until he died at 108 in 1947.

Carlsbad Caverns is a big cave. It has some nice formations and some giant pits, but it is still just a big cave.

Guadalupe Mountains is fine. There isn't a lot of infrastructure there, but it isn't crowded. There are some hiking trails and you can climb to the highest spot in Texas.

One of the best kept secret ones I’ve been to is Chaco Canyon in New Mexico. The ancient ruins there are pretty amazing to walk around and there were like 20 people there the day I went. Middle of nowhere. They have full moon hikes that you hike around there at night by only the night sky. I definitely want to go back for one of those hikes.

Chaco Canyon is fascinating. No matter how you approach it it is at least 20 miles of dirt and gravel roads to get there. And it isn't like you are near civilization when you turn on those roads. The ruins there are incredible. Building 3 story buildings out of rock is extremely impressive.

I was with a 7 year old Navajo girl (last name Begay - which is a common last name) touring the Pueblo Bonito. Somewhere on the tour, the guidebook talks about folks taking artifacts and selling them. This upset her quite a bit. Then when we get to the cemetery I told her that one of the people buried there was someone who sold those artifacts. She wanted to know how he died and I told her I didn't know but we could try to find out. When we got back to the parking lot, the little sign said he was shot to death by a Navajo named Begay. When I told her this - she replied "Good!".

Monticore
04-14-2020, 05:19 AM
That pic freaked me out.

My mother-law bought me this "Over the Edge: Death in Grand Canyon: Gripping Accounts of All Known Fatal Mishaps in the Most Famous of the World's Seven Natural Wonders" , before I went on my trip there, I wonder if she was trying to tell me something.

Chieficus
04-14-2020, 06:04 AM
Great Sand Dunes x3
Mammoth Cave x3
RMNP x2
Grand Canyon x2
Smokey Mountains x2
Badlands
Zion
Bryce Canyon
Arches
Saguaro
Gateway Arch, a lot

Zion was my favorite. So much to see, but Angels Landing was epic. I hate heights and had a mild meltdown about halfway through, but got over it and pressed on. The view at the top, and along the way, was worth it.

Did Bryce on the same trip, but arrived shortly before sundown. It turned into a rushed, "Hurry up and take pictures!" trip. I need to go back and spend more time in the future.

Chieficus
04-14-2020, 06:25 AM
Zion was my favorite. So much to see, but Angels Landing was epic. I hate heights and had a mild meltdown about halfway through, but got over it and pressed on. The view at the top, and along the way, was worth it.

One thing about the Zion trip. We hit it in early May, before all the tourists, and did Landing early in the day. There was hardly anyone else on the trail, which helped a lot.

R Clark
04-14-2020, 06:27 AM
[QUOTE=eDave;14905340]That pic freaked me out.[/QUOTE

seclark
04-14-2020, 06:38 AM
bandelier national park/monument
sec

2bikemike
04-14-2020, 07:36 AM
I have been to so many I can't keep track. But I will say that I find Utah parks to be some of the best. I love Zion and have hiked Angels landing alone and with my wife. Canyonlands has so much to offer it is hard to take it all in. For Wildlife Yellowstone is hard to beat. Glacier up in Bwana land is absolutely breath taking as well.

Graystoke
04-14-2020, 08:56 AM
Fishing is definitely something I need to work in on future trips. Do you find it hard to get that in if you have people you are with who aren’t into fishing? Or has that not been something you’ve had to consider?

It’s just a given. We are empty nesters, so just my wife and I on trips out west. She is a rock hound so when I am fishing she has the rock hammer out looking for gems. I usually don’t overdue it though, trips are meant to be shared and I get lots of time to fish by myself our with man fishing trips out to Wyoming

ChiefBlueCFC
04-14-2020, 08:59 AM
Got to go to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons last summer while I was in Idaho for work. Also go to go to Glacier Bay National Park in Alaska as well. I've been to a few others but those will stick with me for a long long time

Just beautiful

Graystoke
04-14-2020, 09:03 AM
Yeah, it's in Dixie. The turn-off we take for Boulder Mountain is just a few dozen miles past Boulder, the town. The little diner there is great, btw. Little pricey, but great food and the pies . . . I don't even like pie that much, but that place is special.

Ive eaten there! Nice place. Have you been done to Hole in the Rock on the Burr Trail or Hells Backbone? Awesome roads on the right motorcycle or Jeep

Dartgod
04-14-2020, 09:07 AM
Arches
Canyonlands
Zion
Bryce Canyon
Yosemite
Grand Canyon
Denali
Glacier Bay
Rocky Mountain
Badlands
Wind Cave
Mammoth Cave
Gateway Arch (I had no idea this was a NP)

cripple creek
04-14-2020, 10:23 AM
when I joined the air force back in '79... my 1st base was castle afb, ca. 80 miles from the bases' main gate to Yosemite's'. went there as often as possible. even had an encounter with a bear on an overnight backpacking trip. rocky mountain nat'l park several times over the years. if I were still able bodied... zion would be high on my list.

Renegade
04-14-2020, 11:21 AM
I am surprised no one has mentioned all the monuments at DC. Aren't those NP also?

NewChief
04-14-2020, 11:25 AM
Arches
Acadia
Badlands
Bryce Canyon
Canyonlands
Capitol Reef
Carlsbad Caverns
Everglades
Gateway Arch
Grand Canyon
Great Smoky Mountains
Guadalupe Mountains
Hot Springs
Mesa Verde
Olympic
Petrified Forest
Redwood
Rocky Mountain
Saguaro
Voyageurs
Zion

We just did Zion over Christmas Break and New Year's this last year. It was pretty awesome to be there in the offseason. Angel's Landing was too icy to do, though, which kind of sucked. That park has changed a lot over the years. I used to go there a lot in college, and it wasn't nearly as developed.

NewChief
04-14-2020, 11:28 AM
bandelier national park/monument
sec

Cool place. Not a National Park, technically, though. It is a National Monument. Weird technical difference. Similarly, have weird stuff like "Buffalo River National River" which isn't a national park. Another mindblowing one in the area around Bandolier is Tent Rocks National Monument. That shit is awesome.

Megatron96
04-14-2020, 11:37 AM
Ive eaten there! Nice place. Have you been done to Hole in the Rock on the Burr Trail or Hells Backbone? Awesome roads on the right motorcycle or Jeep

Been to Hole in the Rock. Amazing. Haven't done to Hells Backbone yet.

Rain Man
04-14-2020, 11:45 AM
In a similar vein, I like to travel and I'm not traveling right now. I also still have nine states left to complete my 50-state half-marathon goal.

So I was thinking about this, and thinking about when I'd be comfortable getting on planes again. It occurred to me that an RV would be a pretty safe way to travel domestically. You carry your own food, live and sleep inside it, and I looked up a couple of campgrounds and they're doing 'no-touch' reservations where you pay online, pull in, and hook up.

I'm wondering if I should buy a smallish RV for the next couple of years to knock off those last nine states. Thoughts? I'd sell it at a loss, I'm sure, but I'd save money on flights and hotels and restaurant food. It would be more expensive than flying if you assume a 50 percent loss on the vehicle, but I'd also get some fun road trips in the deal.

OnTheWarpath15
04-14-2020, 11:49 AM
In a similar vein, I like to travel and I'm not traveling right now. I also still have nine states left to complete my 50-state half-marathon goal.

So I was thinking about this, and thinking about when I'd be comfortable getting on planes again. It occurred to me that an RV would be a pretty safe way to travel domestically. You carry your own food, live and sleep inside it, and I looked up a couple of campgrounds and they're doing 'no-touch' reservations where you pay online, pull in, and hook up.

I'm wondering if I should buy a smallish RV for the next couple of years to knock off those last nine states. Thoughts? I'd sell it at a loss, I'm sure, but I'd save money on flights and hotels and restaurant food. It would be more expensive than flying if you assume a 50 percent loss on the vehicle, but I'd also get some fun road trips in the deal.

I'd think the money you'd save on hotels and flights would be spent on fuel costs.

RV's get like 3 feet to the gallon.

mr. tegu
04-14-2020, 11:52 AM

You could look at renting one. That might be a better option to avoid worrying about all the extra overhead of owning one. I’ve been thinking about flying close to a bunch of parks and renting an RV through something like cruiseamerica.com.

Rain Man
04-14-2020, 11:53 AM
I'd think the money you'd save on hotels and flights would be spent on fuel costs.

Well, yeah. There's that.

I'd need to do the numbers, but my goal would be to get a small one, not anything big. Probably older too, so I don't lose so much on depreciation.

It probably won't happen. My wife gave me The Look when I mentioned that I was thinking about it. But I need to travel, dammit!

Dartgod
04-14-2020, 11:54 AM
Cool place. Not a National Park, technically, though. It is a National Monument. Weird technical difference. Similarly, have weird stuff like "Buffalo River National River" which isn't a national park. Another mindblowing one in the area around Bandolier is Tent Rocks National Monument. That shit is awesome.

Yeah, Cedar Breaks is another place in Utah that is pretty cool. Not a NP but a national monument.

Megatron96
04-14-2020, 11:55 AM

Pretty much this. RVs get like 5-8 miles to the gallon. a camper like an Airstream will get a little better than that, unless you get one longer than 20 feet, then basically the same. So call it a wash. But traveling in a camper/RV is more interesting and camping in one is very comfortable. I've seen them tricked out with everything from AC, showers, flat screen TVs, satellite, etc.

Rain Man
04-14-2020, 11:58 AM
You could look at renting one. That might be a better option to avoid worrying about all the extra overhead of owning one. I’ve been thinking about flying close to a bunch of parks and renting an RV through something like cruiseamerica.com.

I'm strongly pondering that as an experiment. One of my remaining states is South Dakota, which is not a terrible drive and it's got tons of RV campgrounds. I may do that just to have the experience.

The kick in the pants appears to be that the rental RVs give you 100 miles a day and then charge you $0.39 a mile beyond that. It's an RV, so I'd be putting miles on it by definition. But someplace close like South Dakota wouldn't break the bank.

NewChief
04-14-2020, 12:09 PM
I'm strongly pondering that as an experiment. One of my remaining states is South Dakota, which is not a terrible drive and it's got tons of RV campgrounds. I may do that just to have the experience.

The kick in the pants appears to be that the rental RVs give you 100 miles a day and then charge you $0.39 a mile beyond that. It's an RV, so I'd be putting miles on it by definition. But someplace close like South Dakota wouldn't break the bank.

You need to get yourself an EarthRoamer. (https://earthroamer.com/) That way if shit really hits the fan while you're traveling, you're ready.

https://i.insider.com/5df3efe1fd9db25ce774b3c2?width=1600&format=jpeg&auto=webp

Rain Man
04-14-2020, 12:14 PM
Pretty much this. RVs get like 5-8 miles to the gallon. a camper like an Airstream will get a little better than that, unless you get one longer than 20 feet, then basically the same. So call it a wash. But traveling in a camper/RV is more interesting and camping in one is very comfortable. I've seen them tricked out with everything from AC, showers, flat screen TVs, satellite, etc.

My next door neighbor has a camper RV that seems really cool. It's a big pickup so it wouldn't be bad to drive, and it's got an enormous camper atop it that has a shower, bathroom, stove, microwave, air conditioning, etc. For a rental, though, I'd probably look at one like this:

https://cruise.azureedge.net/cruise/images/webres/thumbs/c19-thumb-exterior-front.jpg

If I got the insurance (I'm a rookie) and plan for 750 miles, we're talking $831 plus a $500 deposit for a week. I assume the deposit is refundable.

So the RV would be:

$831 - Rental RV
$125 - Gas (assuming 12 mpg)
$350 - Campsite fees
$100 - Food
$200 - Some odd generator fee at $3.50 per hour. Assume I'll use it for 8 hours a day? No idea.

I don't see a cleaning fee or anything to return it.

So that totals $1,606 as an estimate for a week.

If I fly there, it would be more time-efficient, so I'd assume four days if I want to look around a little. The cost would be:

$250 airfare
$200 rental car
$520 hotel
$150 restaurant food
$25 in gas

So four days on site if I fly in would be $1,145 as an estimate.

I'd thus pay roughly $500 more for the RV, but I'd stay three days longer. It would be cheaper than flying in and staying for a week, I guess, but more expensive if I'm taking into account the efficiency of flying.

Rain Man
04-14-2020, 12:15 PM
Maybe I can talk mr. tegu into doing it as an experiment for me. Hey tegu, rent an RV and keep a cost diary, okay?

Megatron96
04-14-2020, 12:19 PM
Here are some ideas for campers/trailers. I have a buddy that got the Alto used for around $12,000. And these might become more affordable in the near future, since new ones probably aren't selling all that well right now. Also, there's link in the article about off-road trailers. Some of these are pretty amazing.
https://gearpatrol.com/2019/08/01/5-best-camper-trailers/

NewChief
04-14-2020, 12:23 PM
Here are some ideas for campers/trailers. I have a buddy that got the Alto used for around $12,000. And these might become more affordable in the near future, since new ones probably aren't selling all that well right now. Also, there's link in the article about off-road trailers. Some of these are pretty amazing.
https://gearpatrol.com/2019/08/01/5-best-camper-trailers/

I doubt it works for an RV, but there are also some pretty serious tax benefits you can reap by purchasing vehicles of a certain size (a friend bought a Mercedes Sprinter "for his business" and got like a 30k tax break).

Megatron96
04-14-2020, 12:23 PM
My next door neighbor has a camper RV that seems really cool. It's a big pickup so it wouldn't be bad to drive, and it's got an enormous camper atop it that has a shower, bathroom, stove, microwave, air conditioning, etc. For a rental, though, I'd probably look at one like this:

https://cruise.azureedge.net/cruise/images/webres/thumbs/c19-thumb-exterior-front.jpg

If I got the insurance (I'm a rookie) and plan for 750 miles, we're talking $831 plus a $500 deposit for a week. I assume the deposit is refundable.

So the RV would be:

$831 - Rental RV
$350 - Campsite fees
$100 - Food
$200 - Some odd generator fee at $3.50 per hour. Assume I'll use it for 8 hours a day? No idea.

If I fly there, it would be more time-efficient, so I'd assume four days if I want to look around a little. The cost would be:

$250 airfare
$200 rental car
$520 hotel
$150 restaurant food
$25 in gas

I'd thus pay roughly $500 more for the RV, but I'd stay three days longer. It would be cheaper than flying in and staying for a week, I guess, but more expensive if I'm taking into account the efficiency of flying.

The generator fee is for an electrical generator, usually gas-powered. You run it as long as you need power. We only ran the thing for A/C at night really, and then only for the three hours or so to cool the camper down, and by then the OAT had dropped to below 70 so we could turn it off. But obviously if you wanted to watch TV, run the microwave, etc., you'd need to run the gen.

mr. tegu
04-14-2020, 12:24 PM
Maybe I can talk mr. tegu into doing it as an experiment for me. Hey tegu, rent an RV and keep a cost diary, okay?

Your one post on the costs already gave me more information than I had so I think you can be in charge. All in all though those costs for a week are actually quite reasonable and I think the new experience would make it well worth it.

Rain Man
04-14-2020, 12:26 PM
The generator fee is for an electrical generator, usually gas-powered. You run it as long as you need power. We only ran the thing for A/C at night really, and then only for the three hours or so to cool the camper down, and by then the OAT had dropped to below 70 so we could turn it off. But obviously if you wanted to watch TV, run the microwave, etc., you'd need to run the gen.

Ah, okay. So I overestimated that cost. Is there anything I'm missing or misinterpreting on the RV side?

Randallflagg
04-14-2020, 12:33 PM
Speaking of South Dakota...I remember as a wee lad my parents taking us to Mount Rushmore. Back then they hadn't put a visitors center quite yet, so all we could do was drive the road that goes directly beneath the monument. As a kid, it looked HUGE to me..

Fast forward to 2016. My Wife and I were taking a trip to see her family in Minnesota so we made a sort of "Vacation/Road trip" and take long way. Hit Wall Drug...the usual. We got to Rushmore and it literally stopped me in my tracks -it looked so damned "small" compared to seeing it as a kid......

Graystoke
04-14-2020, 12:44 PM
Yeah, Cedar Breaks is another place in Utah that is pretty cool. Not a NP but a national monument.

Cedar Breaks is amazing. Those Bristle Cone Pines that are older then Jesus, like 5,000 years old...MIND BLOWN. I just want to hug them.

Megatron96
04-14-2020, 12:44 PM
Ah, okay. So I overestimated that cost. Is there anything I'm missing or misinterpreting on the RV side?

It looks about right.m I'd personally assume slightly less mpg (10). Campground fees are dependent on where you camp. Some campgrounds are free. Some are free but require a fee for electrical hook-up.

Also, I eat like a king when I car camp. Rib-eye and Porterhouse steaks, good whisky, good beer, lots of tasty snacks, desserts, etc. Also, I always buy a little extra just in case. So for a week of camping, I'll buy at least 8 days of food. Never know what might happen, and going hungry is not an option.

Also, if you like campfires, you should consider the cost of firewood, unless you're camping somewhere where it's easy to gather. Most improved campsites are already picked clean of usable easy-to-gather wood. We usually buy about 50 lbs. or so of some hardwood (mesquite, citrus, juniper), about $35-40. Hardwoods burn longer and hotter, so you use less, and they don't pop big embers as much. Flying embers can start forest fires. End your trip early.

Graystoke
04-14-2020, 12:54 PM

So the RV would be:

$831 - Rental RV
$350 - Campsite fees
$100 - Food

$250 airfare
$200 rental car
$520 hotel
$150 restaurant food
$25 in gas

We do this when we do our Fishing Mancation in Wyoming.
We rent one in Fort Collins and split it 6 ways.
We probably take them where they shouldn't go.

MahiMike
04-17-2020, 08:51 AM
Oh boy . . . okay here goes:

Yellowstone: only went once as a kid, need to go back.

Grand Canyon: been several times, always impressed.

Bryce: stunning

Arches: like Bryce, just incredible

Capitol Reef: only been once, and it was a drive-thru. Need to spend a few days there

Redwood State and National Park: the trees are just unbelievable. Can't be described and pictures just don't them any justice.

Sequoia: Don't remember much about this park. I was probably 7-8 when I went.

Crater Lake: only went here once, and only had a few hours to spend there. But the crater is impressive, as is the massive hotel.

Death Valley: Did a camping weekend one late fall, incredible place.

Everglades: caught some nice bass here. Only jungle I've ever been in.

Yosemite: must-see

Glacier: this place is pretty amazing, but in recent years as the glaciers have all melted away, it's become one of the sadder places I've visited.

Great Smoky Mountains:

RMSP: great fishing and camping here.

Haleakala: went here during my honeymoon. Spectacular place. Kind of the Hawaiian version of the Grand Canyon.

Hot Springs: So they have hot springs here

Mammoth Cave: cave is huge. Tour is not the greatest.

Mesa Verde: only been once, but can't wait to get here. You really need several days here.

Mt. Ranier: mountain is awe-inspiring.

Petrified Forest: this place makes you feel like dinosaurs are still roaming the Earth.

Saguaro: Hot

Shennandoah: beautiful. Great fishing.

White Sands: not just sand dunes here. Wooly mammoth footprint fossils, crazy crystal formations, etc.

Zion: lots of cool rock formations, great camping. Even some fishing opportunities in fantastic surroundings.

Would love to see the Badlands, and Denali and well just about any of the great parks in Alaska. Also would like to see Theordore Roosevelt National Park, and Olympic. Johsua Tree is another park that I'd like to see.

I took screenshots of this for my bucket list. Props.

banyon
04-17-2020, 10:07 AM
Yellowstone- The best. could spend a month there easy
Grand Tetons- can take a beautiful photo from almost any spot in the park
Crater Lake- bluest water anywhere
Redwood
Lassen Volanic- Very underrated and interesting park. Loved the tough hike up the volcano
Big Bend
Carlsbad Caverns- seeing a whirling tornado of bats exit a cave for 30 minutes is something you just can't really do justice to in words
Guadalupe Mountain-pretty undeveloped
Badlands - moonlike scenes
Wind Cave-
Great Smoky Mountain
Rocky Mountain- hit an elk with our car- but still a great trip
Great Sand Dunes- hiked the big dune
Mesa Verde
Virgin Island on St. John
Hot Springs - our least favorite

We were going to hit 3 or 4 of the Utah parks this year but had to cancel because of COVID19

IowaHawkeyeChief
04-17-2020, 10:33 AM
Yellowstone- The best. could spend a month there easy
Grand Tetons- can take a beautiful photo from almost any spot in the park
Crater Lake- bluest water anywhere
Redwood
Lassen Volanic- Very underrated and interesting park. Loved the tough hike up the volcano
Big Bend
Carlsbad Caverns- seeing a whirling tornado of bats exit a cave for 30 minutes is something you just can't really do justice to in words
Guadalupe Mountain-pretty undeveloped
Badlands - moonlike scenes
Wind Cave-
Great Smoky Mountain
Rocky Mountain- hit an elk with our car- but still a great trip
Great Sand Dunes- hiked the big dune
Mesa Verde
Virgin Island on St. John
Hot Springs - our least favorite

We were going to hit 3 or 4 of the Utah parks this year but had to cancel because of COVID19

Glacier is pretty awesome, surprised it's not on your list.

banyon
04-17-2020, 11:07 AM
Glacier is pretty awesome, surprised it's not on your list.

Yeah it's on my list of next ones to go to. Glacier, Yosemite, Everglades...

More of it is on the kiddos age at this point as to what's achievable.

Megatron96
04-17-2020, 11:26 AM
I didn't realize that the St. Louis arch was a NP. Funny, since I lived in STL for more than ten years and I've been up the Arch a few times. It's pretty cool, though the elevator ride is kind of a pain. Kinda cramped, and it kind of lurches its way up.

To make it a really exciting visit, you should go up it in the spring when it's windy. The top of the arch swings up to 6 feet or something when it's windy. Pretty intense.

redfan
04-17-2020, 11:39 AM
Saguaro - Many cacti on a mtn
Joshua Tree - Bizarre-looking trees
Redwood- Very large trees
Mt Rainier - It is a mtn
Yellowstone - Old Faithful, Grand Prismatic spring, wildlife, amazing
Grand Teton - Mtns and mtn lakes
Capitol Reef - Drove through, neat geologic features, wildlife
Zion - Drove through, neat geologic features and vistas, crowded
Bryce Canyon - Drove through, neat geologic features and vistas, reminded me of Roadrunner cartoons
Grand Canyon - Amazing, and there's always a crowd. I did a rim to rim hike to actually see the canyon and get away from the masses
Petrified Forest - Trees turned to stone
White Sands - Dunes of white sand (it is actually off-white)
Rocky Mtn - Mtns of rock, conifer trees, marmots
Great Sand Dunes - Dunes of light brown sand
Badlands - Buttes, prairie, wildlife
Gateway Arch - This was just recently made a NP, I went in the 80s, it's in St Louis
Great Smoky Mtns - Misty mtns of deciduous trees

tyecopeland
04-17-2020, 12:01 PM
I didn't realize that the St. Louis arch was a NP. Funny, since I lived in STL for more than ten years and I've been up the Arch a few times. It's pretty cool, though the elevator ride is kind of a pain. Kinda cramped, and it kind of lurches its way up.

To make it a really exciting visit, you should go up it in the spring when it's windy. The top of the arch swings up to 6 feet or something when it's windy. Pretty intense.

Didnt they renovate the grounds a few years ago? I think it became a state park then.

Megatron96
04-17-2020, 12:13 PM
Didnt they renovate the grounds a few years ago? I think it became a state park then.

Don't know. I moved away from STL in 1997-98? Most of my friends have moved away from STL as well over the years.

Bwana
04-17-2020, 12:19 PM
Yellowstone - Old Faithful, Grand Prismatic spring, wildlife, amazing

Stupid tourist tricks as well. Probably as many as all the above combined. If it's not Wei and Ying trying to get a selfie 10 feet from a bison, it's Biff and Muffy taking a trek over the crust next to a hot pot, falling through and getting cooked.

IowaHawkeyeChief
04-17-2020, 12:22 PM
Yeah it's on my list of next ones to go to. Glacier, Yosemite, Everglades...

More of it is on the kiddos age at this point as to what's achievable.

Gotcha, kids will love it when you go... I'm building a cabin in the foothills outside of Whitefish. It's so great there.

mr. tegu
04-17-2020, 12:26 PM
What’s everyone’s thoughts on the Everglades? I’ve been a few times but when I recently went a few years ago I was kind of underwhelmed. Tons of mosquitos and not a ton going on. I enjoyed seeing the wildlife but I think this is the kind of place much that would be more exciting for kids because things always seem bigger to them and seeing wild alligators right at your feet would be exciting for them.

I’m wondering if I’m missing something there that would make it more repeatable or worth going back to.

Megatron96
04-17-2020, 12:34 PM
What’s everyone’s thoughts on the Everglades? I’ve been a few times but when I recently went a few years ago I was kind of underwhelmed. Tons of mosquitos and not a ton going on. I enjoyed seeing the wildlife but I think this is the kind of place much that would be more exciting for kids because things always seem bigger to them and seeing wild alligators right at your feet would be exciting for them.

I’m wondering if I’m missing something there that would make it more repeatable or worth going back to.

Airboat tour.

Flamingo is cool. Alligators, manatees, which are outside most people's experience are neat.

Royal Palm Visitor Center is interesting.

Some other stuff I don't remember the names of.

DomCasual
04-17-2020, 12:38 PM
Grew up going to Rocky Mountain National Park at least twice a year. I have a soft spot in my heart for that place. Yellowstone, too.

I live in Utah now. The national parks here are certainly unique. They're just not my thing, I guess. Growing up, I always associated "national park" with mountains and lots and lots of trees. Utah's parks seem like barren wastelands, by comparison.

Megatron96
04-17-2020, 01:08 PM
Grew up going to Rocky Mountain National Park at least twice a year. I have a soft spot in my heart for that place. Yellowstone, too.

I live in Utah now. The national parks here are certainly unique. They're just not my thing, I guess. Growing up, I always associated "national park" with mountains and lots and lots of trees. Utah's parks seem like barren wastelands, by comparison.

Try Boulder Mountain in the Dixie National Forest. Definitely get your tree fix there. If you like fishing there's also 80+ lakes and ponds on the mountain, but be prepared to hike to most of them. Plenty of small steams and creeks as well.

That whole area west of Capitol Reef is mountains and trees.

mr. tegu
04-17-2020, 01:11 PM
Airboat tour.

Flamingo is cool. Alligators, manatees, which are outside most people's experience are neat.

Royal Palm Visitor Center is interesting.

Some other stuff I don't remember the names of.

Oh yeah I forgot about airboat tours. That’s a good idea for return trips to do something uncommon. My problem with Flamingo Visitor Center is that it’s a really long drive and seeing manatees is definitely not a guarantee.

DomCasual
04-17-2020, 01:15 PM
Try Boulder Mountain in the Dixie National Forest. Definitely get your tree fix there. If you like fishing there's also 80+ lakes and ponds on the mountain, but be prepared to hike to most of them. Plenty of small steams and creeks as well.

That whole area west of Capitol Reef is mountains and trees.

Thanks. I've been around there a lot, but I don't think I've actually spent time there. I'll add it to our family vacation bucket list.

Megatron96
04-17-2020, 01:23 PM
Oh yeah I forgot about airboat tours. That’s a good idea for return trips to do something uncommon. My problem with Flamingo Visitor Center is that it’s a really long drive and seeing manatees is definitely not a guarantee.

There are other places to see them, I just can't remember the names of the places. A google search for the best opportunities to see manatees would probably be more helpful than my swiss cheese memory.

mr. tegu
04-17-2020, 01:24 PM
A little off topic but somewhat related. Has anyone ever gone to a public fossil dig site? There’s one in Kemmerer, Wyoming that is supposed to have a lot of fish fossils and you keep whatever you can find. Eventually we will want to do this so I’m wondering if anyone here has had any luck and found it fun.

mr. tegu
04-17-2020, 01:27 PM
There are other places to see them, I just can't remember the names of the places. A google search for the best opportunities to see manatees would probably be more helpful than my swiss cheese memory.

Yeah there probably are areas with good potential outside the park but if I’m recalling correctly that is the area within the actual park boundaries where you have the best chances.

Megatron96
04-17-2020, 01:29 PM
A little off topic but somewhat related. Has anyone ever gone to a public fossil dig site? There’s one in Kemmerer, Wyoming that is supposed to have a lot of fish fossils and you keep whatever you can find. Eventually we will want to do this so I’m wondering if anyone here has had any luck and found it fun.

You're kidding. I didn't know Kemmerer was famous for anything other than it's the town where the first JC Penny store opened, and that it's the closest town to where you can catch monster trout on the Green River. Never saw a fossil there, but I've seen some moose, a couple bears, and what I think were mustangs on the river.

Oh, and these things:
https://scontent.fphx1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/s960x960/37017701_1847641461945973_1483090810474856448_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=-TGMj9xHJsEAX81eyNa&_nc_ht=scontent.fphx1-1.fna&_nc_tp=7&oh=e40d747138a6e56a43b9637434057e8b&oe=5EBFBBA1

ReynardMuldrake
04-17-2020, 01:32 PM

I was there in December and I thought it was amazing. Like being in a zoo without walls. Wildlife everywhere. We did an airboat tour and took the shark valley tram tour. I wish we could have spent more time there.

Also saw Biscayne and Dry Tortugas national parks. I really want to see them all in my lifetime if it's possible. I'm a huge fan of national parks.

mr. tegu
04-17-2020, 01:37 PM
You're kidding. I didn't know Kemmerer was famous for anything other than it's the town where the first JC Penny store opened, and that it's the closest town to where you can catch monster trout on the Green River. Never saw a fossil there, but I've seen some moose, a couple bears, and what I think were mustangs on the river.

Oh, and these things:
https://scontent.fphx1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/s960x960/37017701_1847641461945973_1483090810474856448_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=-TGMj9xHJsEAX81eyNa&_nc_ht=scontent.fphx1-1.fna&_nc_tp=7&oh=e40d747138a6e56a43b9637434057e8b&oe=5EBFBBA1

The fossil formation it’s part of is a big fossil producer and provides a lot of specimens to the fossil trade. It’s after the dinosaurs though.

The Green River Formation is an Eocene geologic formation that records the sedimentation in a group of intermountain lakes in three basins along the present-day Green River in Colorado, Wyoming, and Utah.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_River_Formation

Megatron96
04-17-2020, 01:44 PM
The fossil formation it’s part of is a big fossil producer and provides a lot of specimens to the fossil trade. It’s after the dinosaurs though.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_River_Formation

Very cool. Now that I think about it, that makes sense. Lot of drilling going on around there, so they gotta be drilling into sedimentary layers, and the river is lined with these sedimentary cliff formations for dozens of miles. Maybe hundreds; I've only been down the first 50 miles or so from the dam. This summer when I'm hauled out for lunch I'll have to take a minute and check out the cliffs for fossils. Thanks.

frozenchief
04-17-2020, 02:53 PM

If I went to the Everglades, I would fly fish for snook and redfish. And tarpon if they were available. Saltwater fly fishing is a hoot.

ReynardMuldrake
04-17-2020, 03:31 PM
<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/x3_b3NJold8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Wa-YxmGDpcg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Og_f_yKM2xA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ua9u1Y4HPCY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3HzZxJGgyXs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Some videos from my December Florida trip.