PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Hot Tubs

L.A. Chieffan
04-15-2020, 10:15 AM
Since I can't really leave the house anyways might as well sit in a nice hot tub and relax right?

Any suggestions, recommendations? Best brands? Brands to avoid? I heard the Costco ones suck. Good things about Hot Springs, Bullfrogs. I'm not going to fill it with antifreeze, sorry.

Mecca
04-15-2020, 10:18 AM
I've thought about it for years, honestly you can always find people on craigslist/facebook giving them away if you go get it.....they're heavy, hard to move, and the upkeep is a huge pain in the fucking ass.

Skyy God
04-15-2020, 10:22 AM
I have a Marquis 3-person corner tub. 110, so no need to hire an electrician.

Don't bother with the Craigslist route. I went used from a dealer, in perfect shape, for $900.

L.A. Chieffan
04-15-2020, 10:23 AM
I've thought about it for years, honestly you can always find people on craigslist/facebook giving them away if you go get it.....they're heavy, hard to move, and the upkeep is a huge pain in the fucking ass.

Yea when I bought my house about 20 years ago it came with one that was already about 10 years old maybe which we used all the time until it died a few years ago. I've looked into used but I don't really want to buy someone else's junk that might go bad soon and have to haul and install it myself. I'm pretty lazy so professional delivery and installing is much more appealing to me.

L.A. Chieffan
04-15-2020, 10:25 AM
I have a Marquis 3-person corner tub. 110, so no need to hire an electrician.

Don't bother with the Craigslist route. I went used from a dealer, in perfect shape, for $900.

I already have my old hot tub electrical so I'm looking for a bigger guy maybe 8 people.

Monticore
04-15-2020, 10:29 AM
Go with a 1 man 5 women hot tub .

Gravedigger
04-15-2020, 10:31 AM
Every time I see them on Price is Right, I think of that great section of empty concrete in my back yard at the base of the deck stairs and tell my wife "We could put it there!" We'll never have a hottub... nice to dream though.

Demonpenz
04-15-2020, 10:35 AM
Have you tried soaking Deez Nutz?

TRR
04-15-2020, 10:39 AM
Can I get a hot tub!?

Bill Brasky

The maintenance is just like anything else. If you drop a lot of money on a brand new unit, it's going to have less maintenance than uncle joe's spa you picked up from the dump. Even the best case scenario is a lot of work.

Monticore
I have one and I spend more time taking care of it than using it, fall/spring are nice summer not so much and minus 40 below winter is ok if your inside but that sprint to the patio door is a summabitch. Also you might want to get a degree in chemistry.

Bill Brasky
04-15-2020, 10:48 AM
I have one and I spend more time taking care of it than using it, fall/spring are nice summer not so much and minus 40 below winter is ok if your inside but that sprint to the patio door is a summabitch. Also you might want to get a degree in chemistry.

Can you estimate how much time the weekly maintenance takes?

Monticore
04-15-2020, 11:23 AM
Can you estimate how much time the weekly maintenance takes?

If you include going to the store to get supplies , depends where your stores are but my comment has more to do with the fact that after the initial honeymoon phase is over I don't use it as often as I feel it is worth , but some days it is lol, testing it daily 365 so it doesn't go out of wack, cleaning of the filters, replacing parts/jets that break, replacing motors that burn out (some have 2 pumps) .

The daily testing and chemical replacement is normally not time consuming .

I forgot draining it and replacing the water which I don't do often enough.

Iowanian
04-15-2020, 11:24 AM
I've got a big jet tub that rarely gets used. It's one of the decisions I'd un-make from my build.

On the other hand, the mrs is asking about a sauna and I'd like to tag into this conversation for input on those.

Eureka
04-15-2020, 12:03 PM
For a single guy it's great but once you're shacked up the novelty of a hot tub wears off over the years.

OP I would think a local store would set you straight with a brand new unit. I found mine through a buddy who bought a fixer upper house and wanted the dirty old hot tub gone. It was a pain to move but worked great for many years. I didn't keep it running half the year though.

philfree
04-15-2020, 12:16 PM
I'm on my second Hot Springs Spa. The first one lasted 15 years there about. It had a few issues and parts replaced but the actual daily maintenance is minimal. I still use mine a lot but I have some back issues and it helps with that. That's why I bought one in the first place. It changed my life and got me off the muscle relaxers. I got to where I hated those things.

Dartgod
04-15-2020, 12:25 PM
I feel like I have to...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xeSwrFKFNFw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MatriculatingHank
04-15-2020, 12:30 PM
Trust me on this... Go buy one of these today!
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-28481E-Simple-Spa-77in-x-26in-Inflatable-Hot-Tub-with-Filter-Pump-Cover/123237014

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/96bd5fbe-6bbe-4942-8e0b-e25c61a8e602_1.1e244de33140d787377d13cafbd397db.jpeg?odnWidth=undefined&odnHeight=undefined&odnBg=ffffff

You can find one at your local Walmart for $349.99
I've had one for over 5 years and it is WONDERFUL!

Best $350 you'll ever spend!!!

JohnnyHammersticks
04-15-2020, 12:34 PM
I'm about to buy one too. The ThermoSpa infomercials have kind of won me over. Anybody ever grab one of those?

I used to have a Sundance when I lived in Tempe and the maintenance was pretty easy as long as you stayed on top of it.

Word to the wise - don't put a hot tub in a sun room in metro-Phoenix.

Abba-Dabba
04-15-2020, 12:58 PM
Gets old after a few years IMO. Get a sauna instead. Dry or wet doesn't matter.

Hot tub will be more expensive both in build and operating costs. It will also be more of a pain in the ass to maintain.

FAX
04-15-2020, 01:01 PM
She had a good personality, I suppose ...

And after she gave up the butter and white bread, she slimmed down quite a bit.

FAX

MahiMike
04-15-2020, 04:50 PM
I feel like I have to...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xeSwrFKFNFw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Beat me to it...

MahiMike
04-15-2020, 04:51 PM
I take a hot bath every day in my garden tub. The hot tub is redundant.

Peter Gibbons
04-15-2020, 04:55 PM
If the chemistry gets out of whack you will have to defunk your junk. YMMV.

jdubya
04-15-2020, 05:01 PM
I have had a Hot Springs Grandee (500 gallon) for 15 years and have only needed to change out the cover twice. I dont think I`ve had anything else go bad. Yes, if you get behind on the chemicals its just easier to drain it and refill and start over. When you do change out the cover, they make great archery back drops for targets. If you dont shoot archery, friends that do will take it off your hands.

chieffan09
04-15-2020, 05:32 PM
I own a pool service in Tucson. I come across a bunch of hot tub owners. They ALL want to get rid of them. They are a pain in the neck. Invest in a "spool". It'll last and add resale value.

Bowser
04-15-2020, 05:56 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/3ornk4vKC0BtogDjxK/giphy.gif

Rain Man
04-15-2020, 07:40 PM
I own a pool service in Tucson. I come across a bunch of hot tub owners. They ALL want to get rid of them. They are a pain in the neck. Invest in a "spool". It'll last and add resale value.

I've never heard of a spool, but that's what I want. Or preferably an Endless Pool.

I'd always had zero interest in hot tubs and that sort of thing, but I had some health things going on last year and coincidentally my wife took me to a hot springs place. It helped a lot and we got on a hot tub kick whenever we traveled. I really learned to appreciate them.

That said, I'm too lazy to own a tub or pool myself. But when I'm too old to live in a single-family home, I'm going to target a condo with a big pool and hot tub.

Rain Man
04-15-2020, 07:43 PM
One thing that would worry me about having a hot tub, though, would be freeloading attractive women in bikinis. In every movie where a hot tub is featured, it ends up full of attractive women in bikinis. For those of you who own hot tubs, how much of a problem is this for you?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/fVqA-_A_cCBbUow4XAOG3eXYNAkCUEw6SNnQd5XKRSzq7kg7k4HAlzoohshKrDTAlCEPE2xy9m0JnYKCR8dAQz6PcT9IX5_lU97Tvp83F 2wBZzunNZMviEpmOx7PqEoZZSiQT5b3LW-OpNo

eDave
04-15-2020, 07:48 PM
My best bud Jason has a bad back in some ways. His Dr. recommended a Thermo Spa, as seen on TV.

That thing has some hella jets and seating arrangements. It's a great hottub.

notorious
04-15-2020, 08:02 PM
3rd one from the left is Russell Wilson's ex.....

https://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1086994/gf2_1.jpg

lewdog
04-15-2020, 08:41 PM
Hot tubs are for people who can't afford pools.

eDave
04-15-2020, 08:47 PM

Why not both?

TinyEvel
04-15-2020, 08:57 PM
BIG BUT NOT VERY EXPENSIVE MISTAKE:

I bought a Coleman inflatable hot tub for like $250. We rent, so didn't want anything too much.

But it only gets to about 99 degrees and takes 12 hours to heat up to that. and you get in the temp starts going down to where you are more like in a warm pee-temperature water.

But at least it is up the hill and overlooks the bay.

But it ain't great. I know you are looking for a legit hot tub but anyone else who sees this Coleman thing or Intex and thinks it would be cool for the lake or the deck or whatever, don't waste your time.

eDave
04-15-2020, 09:09 PM
This one. I'd rule the 80's.

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2010/03/26/movies/26hottubspan-1/26hottubspan-1-articleLarge.jpg

BryanBusby
04-15-2020, 09:12 PM
Go on

eDave
04-15-2020, 09:14 PM
Go on

They are kinda like a boat. Mine is part of my pool so I'm stuck with it. Never use it anymore. In fact, I build a little deck like cover for it and forgot about it. It just gets cleaned.

FAX
04-15-2020, 09:59 PM
There once was a girl they called Hot Tubs
Who liked to give gentlemen hand rubs
She would caress your meat
But she'd break your car seat
And flatten your tires to the hubs

FAX

Fish
04-15-2020, 10:03 PM
Hot tubs are great, but only when they're maintained by someone else....

Seriously though, the cheap inflatable one from Walmart mentioned above is actually pretty great. I've been in one. That's what I would do if I was considering. That way you're not contributing something permanent that requires it's own plumbing, but it can still be very rewarding a few times a year when you want it...

Eureka
04-15-2020, 11:58 PM
One thing that would worry me about having a hot tub, though, would be freeloading attractive women in bikinis. In every movie where a hot tub is featured, it ends up full of attractive women in bikinis. For those of you who own hot tubs, how much of a problem is this for you?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/fVqA-_A_cCBbUow4XAOG3eXYNAkCUEw6SNnQd5XKRSzq7kg7k4HAlzoohshKrDTAlCEPE2xy9m0JnYKCR8dAQz6PcT9IX5_lU97Tvp83F 2wBZzunNZMviEpmOx7PqEoZZSiQT5b3LW-OpNo

It’s kind of true. My single days (couple years ago) the hot tub would be a great excuse to invite women to come back and party at the pad after the bars. Sometimes though it would be my friends wanting to invite a group of woman back for a Splash and I would look at the group of women and tell my buddy you’re beer goggles are in full affect.

But mostly you are correct with your statement.

Eureka
04-15-2020, 11:58 PM

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2010/03/26/movies/26hottubspan-1/26hottubspan-1-articleLarge.jpg

I will note that most minorities don’t like traveling back past 1980.

philfree
04-16-2020, 12:03 AM

Not true. And they are easy to maintain unless maybe it's an inground or something old and it needs parts. Hit the clean cycle use a test strip to check the chems, put in a little ph + or - then a little chlorine, some enhanced chlorine, then shut the lid and walk away. Takes less than 5 minutes. Nothing to mix or anything like that. It's a piece of cake. Hot Springs Spas are easy to work on too if need be. The side panel comes off easy and everything is right there. The only thing that is bad is if it gets a crack/ leak in the wrong place which is rare.

My above ground pool is easy to maintain too but it is more work than a spa.

philfree
04-16-2020, 12:06 AM

Yeah, No. No tubing with a bunch of dudes. That's just wrong.

ILChief
04-16-2020, 06:13 AM
I bought one off Amazon a couple of years ago for a little over $2k. It’s basic but it’s still going strong. We use it about once a week. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009SCPYN4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_pWeMEbPN1W0R3

IA_Chiefs_fan
04-16-2020, 06:37 AM
We bought a Hotspring Envoy NXT a couple years ago. It was pricey but requires less maintenance than most, which was important to us. We're happy with our choice.

Skyy God
04-16-2020, 06:43 AM

Tonight should be the 3rd different woman in my hot tub since Sunday.

One wore a cute 1-piece, tho.

lewdog
04-16-2020, 06:48 AM
Yeah, No. No tubing with a bunch of dudes. That's just wrong.

If you’re gay it’s ok.