PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Terez Paylor's Chiefs' Draft Needs

Tribal Warfare
04-16-2020, 06:41 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">My AFC draft needs series concludes with the AFC West, home of the Super Bowl champs and the three teams tasked with thwarting their attempt to &quot;run it back&quot;:<a href="https://t.co/GBiQjeHqGP">https://t.co/GBiQjeHqGP</a> <a href="https://t.co/VJIJqnBTsL">pic.twitter.com/VJIJqnBTsL</a></p>&mdash; Terez A. Paylor (@TerezPaylor) <a href="https://twitter.com/TerezPaylor/status/1250862958151897088?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 16, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Positions needed: RB, G, C, LB, CB

Analysis: The defending Super Bowl champions head into 2020 with a motto of “run it back,” and the team’s offseason plan has reflected that. Kansas City re-signed several key players from its championship team, betting on continuity in a COVID-19-affected season as the Chiefs currently have everyone who played at least 57 percent of the snaps last season under contract for 2020. That doesn’t mean there isn’t room to strengthen the roster.

Offensively, the Chiefs are powered by an explosive offense guided by Mahomes, but there’s a need to bolster the interior of the line to grow with Mahomes and help protect him for the next decade. Beyond that, Super Bowl hero Damien Williams returns to man the running back position, but he’s in a contract year and the team could draft a young back and groom him to take the reins in 2021. Defensively, the Chiefs need second-level help — a sideline-to-sideline linebacker with skills in pass coverage could carve out an immediate role — while the cornerback position would also benefit from the infusion of a top-100 draft pick. And with Mahomes’ massive extension looming, don’t be surprised if Kansas City entertains a trade down in the first round in an attempt to stockpile more cost-controlled assets.

Bump
04-16-2020, 06:42 PM
yip

Tribal Warfare
04-16-2020, 06:44 PM
Damn he agrees with me

BigRedChief
04-16-2020, 06:48 PM
I love Terez but disagree that we need to take a RB in the first round to groom for the future.

Rain Man
04-16-2020, 06:57 PM
I've never thought about it this way, but when you win the Super Bowl, your draft needs are merely to replace the players you lost in the offseason.

TomBarndtsTwin
04-16-2020, 07:00 PM
Eh, Chiefs could really use some upgrades at certain positions.

Obviously, the goal is to #runitback, but I’d rather them just dominate and demoralize every one on the way to another Super Bowl Title, a la 2007 Pats, minus the hiccup at the end.

But we don’t have to worry about facing Spags in the Bowl like they did. :D

FAX
04-16-2020, 07:26 PM
What's up with all these mocks that predict a running back for us at 32?

Ridiculous.

Wally isn't going to draft a damn running back in the first round.

FAX

Bob Dole
04-16-2020, 07:32 PM
RB in the first is just stupid.

Tribal Warfare
04-16-2020, 07:36 PM

Not in the 5 year plan the window is now with a Future HOF QB at the helm

DaneMcCloud
04-16-2020, 07:37 PM
What's up with all these mocks that predict a running back for us at 32?

Ridiculous.

Wally isn't going to draft a damn running back in the first round.

FAX

I love Terez but disagree that we need to take a RB in the first round to groom for the future.

The Chiefs have absolutely nothing after Damien Williams, who turns 28 before the season even begins and has only 1,200 rushing yards and 12 TD's in SIX NFL seasons.

By comparison, Kareem Hunt had 1,300+ yards and 8 TD's in his rookie season alone.

The Chiefs are most certainly taking a running back in this draft. Where and who they take is yet to be determined but it wouldn't be a surprise if they take a guy early, even at #32.

FAX
04-16-2020, 07:38 PM
The Chiefs have absolutely nothing after Damien Williams, who turns 28 before the season even begins and has only 1,200 rushing yards and 12 TD's in SIX NFL seasons.

By comparison, Kareem Hunt had 1,300+ yards and 8 TD's in his rookie season alone.

The Chiefs are most certainly taking a running back in this draft. Where and who they take is yet to be determined.

I agree wholeheartedly that they may very well draft a back this year. That part makes sense.

I do not, however, believe for a second that it will be in the first round.

FAX

Tribal Warfare
04-16-2020, 07:39 PM

The Chiefs are most certainly taking a running back in this draft. Where and who they take is yet to be determined but it wouldn't be a surprise if they take a guy early, even at #32.

There's just so many ways to explain it without repeating yourself with the logic behind it

DaneMcCloud
04-16-2020, 07:40 PM
I agree wholeheartedly that they may very well draft a back this year. That part makes sense.

FAX

I actually don't believe they'll make a 1st round selection because they only have 5 draft picks this year.

Trading back not only allows them to add more selections but allows them to obtain "cheap labor", something they'll need moving forward.

DaneMcCloud
04-16-2020, 07:41 PM
There's just so many ways to explain it without repeating yourself with the logic behind it

I know. I feel like a broken record, saying the same things over and over and over again.

Fortunately, some of the guys who initially thought I was insane have now come around and understand the logic behind it.

FAX
04-16-2020, 07:45 PM
I actually don't believe they'll make a 1st round selection because they only have 5 draft picks this year.

Trading back not only allows them to add more selections but allows them to obtain "cheap labor", something they'll need moving forward.

This makes a lot more sense, Mr. DaneMcCloud (good to see you, BTW) ...

Quick question, however ...

Has Wally ever drafted a running back in the first round? At any point in his 20-year career?

I can't think of one.

FAX

Halfcan
04-16-2020, 07:50 PM
The Chiefs having a dominant running game would put so much stress on the opposing team's defense. We could run them ragged chasing after the Legion of Zoom for 3 quarters then pound them with Thunder (Dobbins) and Lightning (Williams) in the 4th quarter.

DaneMcCloud
04-16-2020, 07:57 PM
This makes a lot more sense, Mr. DaneMcCloud (good to see you, BTW) ...

Quick question, however ...

Has Wally ever drafted a running back in the first round? At any point in his 20-year career?

I can't think of one.

FAX

He's never drafted a RB in the 1st round but then again, he's never had the #32 pick or lacked a feature back, as he does at this juncture. Here's a list of running backs that Reid has drafted over the years in Philly and KC. I posted this in another thread, so my apologies for the duplication:

2000-6 Thomas Hamner
2001-4 Correll Buckhalter
2002-2 Brian Westbrook
2004-7 Bruce Perry
2005-3 Ryan Moats
2007-3 Tony Hunt
2009-2 LeSean McCoy
2010-6 Charles Scott
2011-5 Dion Lewis
2013-3 Knile Davis
2014-4 D'Anthony Thomas
2017-3 Kareem Hunt
2019-6 Darwin Thompson

As you can see, even when he's had great NFL running backs like Westbrook and Shady, he's still drafting running backs. IMO, a true feature back helps Mahomes way, way more than a center or a guard, because even the threat of a great running back freezes the linebackers and safeties just long enough for Hill, Kelce and the other guys to get open on a far more consistent basis, hence 50 TD's in 2018.

(It's good to see you, too!).

Jamie
04-16-2020, 08:07 PM
Also if they're really going all-in to repeat, RB is the position that could make the biggest immediate contribution. Even more so with the lack of an off-season.

Red Dawg
04-16-2020, 08:11 PM
If we take an RB sooner than 4th I may say gosh darnit Veach.

Red Dawg
04-16-2020, 08:14 PM
I say its OL fatty in 1 and OLB in 2.

KCJake
04-16-2020, 08:19 PM
Also if they're really going all-in to repeat, RB is the position that could make the biggest immediate contribution. Even more so with the lack of an off-season.

No way. There's not a running back in this draft that's still gonna be on the board when the Chiefs pick that can walk through the door day one and be a significant improvement over Damien Williams. I'm all for drafting a running. For depth. Just not with our 1st round pick. There's gonna be DB's that we can take with our 32nd pick that can start for us week one. There's your immediate contributor

frozenchief
04-16-2020, 08:21 PM
I don’t think Paylor is saying they take an RB in the first round. He’s just saying what we need, which includes an RB. I agree with Perez and doubt Veach will make it in the first round. But maybe I just missed something. If I did, it means my alcohol consumption has gone up.

Chiefnj2
04-16-2020, 08:24 PM
Protect Mahomes at all costs. Interior OL in the first or second.

FAX
04-16-2020, 08:33 PM
Okay ...

So he has Westbrook in the stable and waits until the 7th to pick a practice-squad guy.

He picks in the 3rd a couple of times and acquires a couple of back-up-level hopefuls.

Then he's back in the 2nd to grab McCoy (nice pick, there) and follows that up with a couple more late-rounders. That looks like churning the roster (to me).

The Davis/Hunt picks are interesting. One can surmise that he was definitely looking for help in the backfield ... so he wasn't unaware of the need.

Still, with no evidence to the contrary, I see no reason to believe that he'll pick RB in the first round.

Unless ...

32 is damn near 2nd round and that is a factor to consider (apparently Wally has no problem picking a ronde deux back if the right guy falls to him). This gives me pause that there "might" be a chance he'll do it this year.

I shouldn't think that anybody (including myself) would adamantly argue that a better run game wouldn't be beneficial to the offense (and the D, for that matter).

Wally is a pass to lead - run to win coach. Clearly, an effective and efficient run game would appeal to him (and us).

Depending on how the chips fall in this draft, my guess is that we'll be looking at defensive help at 32, though ... and Best Player Available in any event.

FAX

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-16-2020, 08:34 PM
What if we drafted a great WR and moved Hill to RB:D

Red Dawg
04-16-2020, 08:59 PM
What if we drafted a great WR and moved Hill to RB:D

Hell no!

OrtonsPiercedTaint
04-16-2020, 09:03 PM
Unsnagged

BigRedChief
04-16-2020, 09:03 PM

The Chiefs are most certainly taking a running back in this draft. Where and who they take is yet to be determined but it wouldn't be a surprise if they take a guy early, even at #32.agree on the need for a RB. Just later in the draft.

FAXagreed here too. Not in the first.

smithandrew051
04-16-2020, 09:17 PM
Wasn’t Veach instrumental in LeSean McCoy being drafted?

Also, look the offensive weapons that Andy and Veach have drafted just in their time in KC.

Whenever we pull the trigger on a running back, I’ll be convinced that it’ll be the right move. If it’s the first, then I fully expect an immediate star. If it’s another round, then I fully trust that it’ll prove to be a great value pick.

Running back is one position where we should all trust the team leadership.

BlackOp
04-16-2020, 09:36 PM

I think this is what they preferably want to do...and there will be some good players at #32.

Some team might be looking at Love...and that extra year is important if they want to sit him. A team might want to leap frog those picking early in the 2nd for a WR.

I think the run on RBs starts in somewhere in the 2nd....i also wouldn't be surprised if Veach picked a WR at #32. Watson and Robinson might be gone after 2020...and there will be some good ones there. It takes a season for them to traditionally grasp Reid's system.

I'm curious if a truncated off-season program will influence who they pick....RB and OL would be the easiest transition.

frozenchief
04-16-2020, 10:12 PM
Protect Mahomes at all costs. Interior OL in the first or second.

An excellent center who can anchor the line for the next 10 yeaRs would be an great first round pick. But, so would a LB who can anchor run coverage.

An RB that early is not worth it.

Geoff Schwartz on why: https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2020/4/15/21220945/nfl-running-back-value-christian-mccaffrey-contract-late-round-box-count

OKchiefs
04-16-2020, 10:25 PM
No way. There's not a running back in this draft that's still gonna be on the board when the Chiefs pick that can walk through the door day one and be a significant improvement over Damien Williams. I'm all for drafting a running. For depth. Just not with our 1st round pick. There's gonna be DB's that we can take with our 32nd pick that can start for us week one. There's your immediate contributor

I'm not a fan of a RB as the best positional value and option in round 1, but this isn't true. Dobbins and/or Swift are very likely to be there at 32 and both offer an immediate upgrade over Williams as a 16 game, dependable every down back. An argument could be made for several others being an upgrade over Williams.

duncan_idaho
04-17-2020, 08:33 AM
Re: competing with Damien Williams

Both Dobbins and Swift are better at staying healthy than Damien Williams

Swift catches the ball just as well. Dobbins shows the potential to be just as effective as a receiver.

Both Dobbins and Swift are better pure runners... Swift is incredibly shifty in the open field and has elite make-you-miss ability. Dobbins isn't quite as shifty but has more burst and is more physical. Both are better able to guy out yards up the middle than Williams.

Williams may have more pure speed, but he isn't effective at creating when there isn't much there.

Both would be Day 1 upgrades from Damien Williams... and let KC move to an early down back who still is a weapon in the pass game but is far more explosive and consistent running the ball.

The Chiefs' offense becomes a lot more consistent and unstoppable when it has a RB who can offer a little consistency running the football and especially when that RB can win 1x1 vs. LBs, CBs, and S in space as a receiver.

Chris Meck
04-17-2020, 09:07 AM
we've reached the part of the offseason in which we argue to the teeth over tiny differences.

I think everyone agrees we'll take a RB somewhere. I think everyone agrees we'll take a LB somewhere, and a CB, and an OL.

I'm not going to throw an internet tantrum over which position where in the draft.

I will say this-Veach has told us, in his own words, that he likes RB's around 220 pounds. So IF you're thinking RB is top priority and maybe even with the first pick, you'd probably be smart to be looking at Veach's prototype as I doubt he'd "reach" with a first round pick.

Anything's possible of course.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
04-17-2020, 09:10 AM
Last time I wanted a first round rb it was Trent Williams(Richardson, darn it). No trust me

DrRyan
04-17-2020, 09:25 AM
As I have mentioned ad nauseam, it is a value proposition to me and will depend on how the draft board falls.

Option 1: R1 Murray/Queen/Epenesa R2 Igbinoghene/Johnson/RB that has fallen Dobbins/Akers/CEH R3 BPA ideally IOL/RB Zack Moss or similar/CB

Option 2: Swift/Taylor/Dobbins R2 BPA Igbinoghene/Johnson/Gay/Brooks/IOL R3 BPA IOL/LB/CB of what is left

I have a hard time seeing option 2 offering greater value than any combination of option 1. Veach has absolutely earned the trust to take WTF he wants. IMO if Murray or Queen are there you take them. They might both be gone by early 20s, one of the 2 might still be available at 32. If they are going RB early, I really hope they are able to move back from 32 and pick up another pick in the top 100. That would make RB as the first pick much more palatable. The drop off from top tier LB to second and third tier is far greater than RB.

ForeverIowan
04-17-2020, 09:27 AM
we've reached the part of the offseason in which we argue to the teeth over tiny differences.

I think everyone agrees we'll take a RB somewhere. I think everyone agrees we'll take a LB somewhere, and a CB, and an OL.

I'm not going to throw an internet tantrum over which position where in the draft.

I will say this-Veach has told us, in his own words, that he likes RB's around 220 pounds. So IF you're thinking RB is top priority and maybe even with the first pick, you'd probably be smart to be looking at Veach's prototype as I doubt he'd "reach" with a first round pick.

That's a great point. JK Dobbins is the closest comparison to Kareem Hunt. Physical runner and pretty dang elite in pass pro. The kid from Utah (Moss) also pretty comparable if Veach is looking to go RB later in the draft.

duncan_idaho
04-17-2020, 11:11 AM

Both Dobbins and Swift are 215-pound backs. I'd call that "around." I'm not going to jump up and down and hammer the table for them, but I think the value they offer at 32, depending on who else is available, is exciting.

Re: who they take (general comment, not directed at Meck), I think people need to be comfortable with the idea that they'll be a depth pick for year one with an eye on them becoming starters in years 2, 3, and 4.

An interior OL would have a good shot to start at C/LG. A RB would have a shot to start over Damien Williams (both due to Williams' injury history and the potential to be an upgrade). A LB would start at WLB or MLB, depending on what they do with Hitchens and who is available.

Every other position is likely going to be coming off the bench.

AJ Epenesa? They've got a lot invested at DE. He MIGHT start Day 1 over Okafor/Kpassagnon, but it's no guarantee.

Jeff Gladney? Maybe he pushes Ward or Breeland out and starts on the outside, but it's no guarantee. Same is true of all the other corners likely to be available unless they specifically take a slot guy with the plan of using HB more traditionally.

So I don't think the idea of "Day 1 impact" is as important to who they take in round 1 as many are making it out to be. There are a few spots where they might be able to get a guy who is 1) good value there; 2) likely to start right away, but most spots it's someone who is competing for a spot, at best.

Buckweath
04-17-2020, 11:16 AM
I wish I could make some money off of those of you who think this team is going to draft a RB #32 overall. Anyone wanna take a bet?

This is not happening!

I could see a scenario where maybe just MAYBE they trade down from the #32 overall pick and draft a RB with their first pick. Still very unlikely.

Anyd Reid would literally tell you why would I draft a RB in the 1st round when I can draft one in the 2nd round or later and make him work in my system.

Sassy Squatch
04-17-2020, 11:16 AM
Way too much smoke around Dobbins. If he's there's he's the pick.

BleedingRed
04-17-2020, 11:18 AM
I really think we need a RB, just give us stability back at that position for the next couple of years.

BleedingRed
04-17-2020, 11:18 AM

I think so too, having a work horse to take some of the pressure of Mahomes (Not that you have to) will help protect him.

smithandrew051
04-17-2020, 11:33 AM
I really think we need a RB, just give us stability back at that position for the next couple of years.

As long as we don’t give him a big second contract, I’m fine with this. Either a team friendly extension or trade for picks after 3-4 years.

staylor26
04-17-2020, 11:45 AM

What smoke? That we’ve interviewed with him? That’s all I’ve seen.

kcclone
04-17-2020, 11:47 AM
The way this team is set up, they can pretty much draft at virtually any position (best available) outside of QB and it's a good strategy.

IOL, LB, CB are probably biggest needs, but if they draft a too good to pass up RB, DL or saftey, I won't complain.

Hell, even OT or WR will have value in the future, as soon as next year.

BryanBusby
04-17-2020, 11:56 AM
When I look over the possible options, I think the best option would be to move down.

Just don't think there's much of a dip with talent at the spots of need going from 32 to say...the mid to late 2nd round.

DaneMcCloud
04-17-2020, 11:57 AM
What smoke? That we’ve interviewed with him? That’s all I’ve seen.

Supposedly, they've interviewed him multiple times and for whatever it's worth, he's been mocked to the Chiefs by several mockers this draft season.

I don't really put much stock in what the bozos at CBS Sports and SI have to say but it's been a fairly common theme throughout to see Dobbins go the Chiefs at #32.

But considering these sites are nearly always wrong about every pick, whether it's 1-10 or 11-250, I don't put much, if any, stock into their reports.

Peter King is usually reliable but he has extensive contacts and generally only publishes his mock the week of the draft. All of the other guys are just guessing to the best of their ability, which is generally pretty poor.

DaneMcCloud
04-17-2020, 11:58 AM
When I look over the possible options, I think the best option would be to move down.

Just don't think there's much of a dip with talent at the spots of need going from 32 to say...the mid to late 2nd round.

Holy crap, I wouldn't want to go from 32 to 48! That's just too far.

I could see them moving down to 33-40 but anything past that would require a 2nd round pick in 2021, at the very least, in addition to multiple 2020 picks.

BryanBusby
04-17-2020, 12:00 PM
Holy crap, I wouldn't want to go from 32 to 48! That's just too far.

I could see them moving down to 33-40 but anything past that would require a 2nd round pick in 2021, at the very least, in addition to multiple 2020 picks.
I wouldn't mind moving down with lets say the Jets for 48 and 79.

DaneMcCloud
04-17-2020, 12:02 PM
I wouldn't mind moving down with lets say the Jets for 48 and 79.

That's just not enough to move from #32 overall, IMO.

Throw in a 5th and a 2020 2nd or 3rd, then maybe.

BryanBusby
04-17-2020, 12:05 PM
I think there will be a lot of teams in the late first that will be looking to sell. Gonna be hard to leverage value.

DaneMcCloud
04-17-2020, 12:07 PM
I think there will be a lot of teams in the late first that will be looking to sell. Gonna be hard to leverage value.

Well if that's the case, there will be plenty of talent at #32, so they can just sit and take their guy.

BryanBusby
04-17-2020, 12:11 PM
Well if that's the case, there will be plenty of talent at #32, so they can just sit and take their guy.
Maybe. I think it's possible Swift, Murray and Queen and both DE's are gone by 32.

What would be the target at that point? I think you can slide down quite a bit and still land either Akers or Dobbins. I'm not high on Delpit like others are. Corner depth is absurd.

I'd probably do it.

Sassy Squatch
04-17-2020, 12:15 PM
5th year option is way more valuable than sliding down that far.

DaneMcCloud
04-17-2020, 12:15 PM
5th year option is way more valuable than sliding down that far.

No, it's really not. Have you read the new CBA?

RunKC
04-17-2020, 12:26 PM

Yip

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This is calm-before-the-storm period when NFL execs call around trying to gauge trade interest. Hearing many teams in mid-to-late 1st are looking to move down and accumulate Day 2 picks. Feeling is you can get same level of player in 40-60 range as in the 20’s.</p>&mdash; Jim Nagy (@JimNagy_SB) <a href="https://twitter.com/JimNagy_SB/status/1251110827660316672?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 17, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

staylor26
04-17-2020, 12:32 PM
Yip

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This is calm-before-the-storm period when NFL execs call around trying to gauge trade interest. Hearing many teams in mid-to-late 1st are looking to move down and accumulate Day 2 picks. Feeling is you can get same level of player in 40-60 range as in the 20’s.</p>&mdash; Jim Nagy (@JimNagy_SB) <a href="https://twitter.com/JimNagy_SB/status/1251110827660316672?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 17, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

And the further back you are, the harder it’s going to be.

If we trade down it’s going to be for a discount.

The good thing is, if a few trades happen before our pick, somebody exciting could fall into our lap unexpectedly.

DaneMcCloud
04-17-2020, 01:03 PM
Tua scored a 13 on the Wonderlic test.

I wonder if that will accelerate his fall?

RunKC
04-17-2020, 01:14 PM
And the further back you are, the harder it’s going to be.

If we trade down it’s going to be for a discount.

The good thing is, if a few trades happen before our pick, somebody exciting could fall into our lap unexpectedly.

It really depends on how the board falls, but it will be tough regardless. That’s why I think Veach should take any deal he can get as long as it involves at least a 4th rd pick.

Eason and Hurts are players teams want to get a 5th year option on, but the problem for us is that 2 of the teams that reportedly have strong interest in Hurts are in our division.

KChiefs1
04-17-2020, 01:33 PM

Drafting a RB in the first round would be foolish. Andy can turn chickenshit into chicken salad. I do agree that a RB needs to be drafted in the top 100 but not the first round. Edwards-Helaire can be had in the 2nd round.

Go with the best available at LB, CB & IOL.

Murray
Queen
Henderson
Fulton
Diggs
Dantzler
Igbinoghene
Ruiz

crispystl
04-17-2020, 01:34 PM

This is where I’m at....RB or a stud LB would improve the team with the highest immediate impact imop.
Linebacker has the most room to upgrade, but a stud RB added to this offense would make it nearly unstoppable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaneMcCloud
04-17-2020, 01:40 PM
Drafting a RB in the first round would be foolish.

False

Andy can turn chickenshit into chicken salad. I do agree that a RB needs to be drafted in the top 100 but not the first round.

Also False

Edwards-Helaire can be had in the 2nd round.

Speculation

False

Never draft for need. Take the best player available.

Dunerdr
04-17-2020, 01:46 PM
Drafting a RB in the first round would be foolish. Andy can turn chickenshit into chicken salad. I do agree that a RB needs to be drafted in the top 100 but not the first round. Edwards-Helaire can be had in the 2nd round.

Murray
Queen
Henderson
Fulton
Diggs
Dantzler
Igbinoghene
Ruiz
What if, andrew does make average backs look good? But what if, he could take a great back and make him look elite?

SBLIVchamps
04-17-2020, 01:48 PM
I think this draft is going to be wild and the places where kids get drafted will be incredibly wonky compared to where we see them before the draft. If I’m the chiefs, I pray one of Murray/Queen fall in the first. If not, I try to trade back to 34-42 and pick up and additional early 4th). We need to target one of Gay or Brooks later if neither of the first two are available

I’m also of the opinion that because of the depth in offensive talent in the draft, some RBs fall to round 2-3 that wouldn’t normally be there. One or two of swift, dobbins, Taylor or CEH will fall to our 63rd pick. If “our guy” is there at 63, it’s hard to imagine the staff passing on them given the smoke around us wanting to add offensive talent.

CB and OL will be addressed no doubt. But I still don’t feel like we need to reach on a prospect before his grade would indicate at those spots. If we hit on whichever positions of need we draft... it gives us another year or two to completely focus on positions of need. If you reach on prospects, it makes it less likely that you hit on them—and this you have more positions to fill.

The one guy I’m completely sold on as a 4-5th rounder is Antonio Gibson. That guy would be a weapon in our offense from day 1.

Fansy the Famous Bard
04-17-2020, 01:51 PM
There are some really good options in this draft that will be available fitting major needs. Which means we'll probably go 1) TE, 2) DT, 3) OT. The majority of folks will be batshit crazy mad, but after further evaluation a year later everyone will be praising the evil genius of Burt.

Shields68
04-17-2020, 01:57 PM
I think this draft is going to be wild and the places where kids get drafted will be incredibly wonky compared to where we see them before the draft. If I’m the chiefs, I pray one of Murray/Queen fall in the first. If not, I try to trade back to 34-42 and pick up and additional early 4th). We need to target one of Gay or Brooks later if neither of the first two are available

I’m also of the opinion that because of the depth in offensive talent in the draft, some RBs fall to round 2-3 that wouldn’t normally be there. One or two of swift, dobbins, Taylor or CEH will fall to our 63rd pick. If “our guy” is there at 63, it’s hard to imagine the staff passing on them given the smoke around us wanting to add offensive talent.

CB and OL will be addressed no doubt. But I still don’t feel like we need to reach on a prospect before his grade would indicate at those spots. If we hit on whichever positions of need we draft... it gives us another year or two to completely focus on positions of need. If you reach on prospects, it makes it less likely that you hit on them—and this you have more positions to fill.

The one guy I’m completely sold on as a 4-5th rounder is Antonio Gibson. That guy would be a weapon in our offense from day 1.

My guess is that it won't be too bad. It is always a little wonky on a couple picks. I think the real problems are guys coming off injury. A lot of teams were not able to have their medical team examine the players so that might be more of a risk then teams are willing to take.

OKchiefs
04-17-2020, 02:00 PM
False

Do you really think teams go 100% BPA? Because I don't believe that for a second. Not everything is black and white as yourself and so many others seem to believe. There are more options than just 100% BPA or tunnel vision on a single position. What would be wrong with setting your sites on a certain number of positions. As the poster mentioned in the post you quoted, set your sites on BPA at RB, CB, LB or whatever position groups you feel are the biggest need. I guarantee there's going to be an elite talent at one of those 3 positions available. If you have 2 players available at the position then you probably allow positional value to come into play for the tiebreaker.

Sorry, I just don't believe any team goes entirely BPA without any regard at all for need. Again, that doesn't mean you narrow in on one position and reach for a need. It does mean that unless a generational, top 5 type talent somehow falls to you at 32, you probably don't end up taking a defensive tackle there seeing as we're already at least 4 deep at the position and set for the future. If you need a CB and Jerry Jeudy somehow falls to you at #32, then yeah by all means take him because he's a top 10 talent and is a huge value compared to a CB you have ranked in the 30-40 range. But if Mims and a CB are both available and you have both similarly ranked? Pretty sure the team is going to take a CB over Mims as that's the bigger need in both the short term and long term.

It's not as simple as just saying take BPA.

SBLIVchamps
04-17-2020, 02:05 PM
Food for thought: If the jags offer Pick 20 and 73 for Chris Jones, and you can guarantee Murray or Queen is there at 20... Do you accept that trade?

DaneMcCloud
Do you really think teams go 100% BPA? Because I don't believe that for a second.

Smart teams, yes.

Dumb teams, like Dave Gettleman's Giants or Detroit or the Browns?

No.

It's not as simple as just saying take BPA.

Outside of QB, the best teams in the NFL draft BPA. Look at consistently good to great teams like the Ravens and Steelers. They're always taking BPA, which is why they're always in the upper echelon of NFL teams, year in and year out.

If a team drafts for need, they end up chasing after the same position, year in and year out. Look at the Chiefs drafts from 2000-2009. It's a constant theme of drafting defensive tackles and defensive ends in rounds 1, 2 and 3, none of whom amounted to jack shit.

So, if you want to draft for need, be prepared to fail, time and time again.

RunKC
Dane,

Would you draft a RB at 32 (if all of them were available) or Delpit?

Both of those picks would be BPA in my eyes

smithandrew051
04-17-2020, 02:10 PM
I agree with drafting best player available, but normally there are multiple players right around the same level at different positions.

For instance, at 32 the Chiefs might see a corner, linebacker, and wide receiver with the same grade (or very close). In those cases, I think Veach/Reid use need as the tiebreaker.

It’s never a good idea to reach based on need though. I’d rather have another stud at a position where we’re already loaded than reach to fill a hole. Fill the hole later in the draft when the BPA fits that need.

DaneMcCloud
04-17-2020, 02:10 PM
Dane,

Would you draft a RB at 32 (if all of them were available) or Delpit?

Both of those picks would be BPA in my eyes

Delpit, without hesitation.

His football IQ is sky high, he's 6'3 and ran a 4.39 40 and can play Safety, CB and be a Hybrid LBer on 3rd downs. He can cover tight ends and taller receives like Mike Williams. He offers so much value, maybe as much as Isaiah Simmons can, in the right defense.

That said, this is why it would be nice to have a 6th or 7th because I think there's a good chance that Akers is gone before #63. He would be my ideal 2nd round running back so if he's gone, the Chiefs may wait until the 3rd to make that selection because there may be better value at WR, CB or LB at #63, than running back.

OKchiefs
04-17-2020, 02:13 PM
Smart teams, yes.

Dumb teams, like Dave Gettleman's Giants or Detroit or the Browns?

No.

Outside of QB, the best teams in the NFL draft BPA. Look at consistently good to great teams like the Ravens and Steelers. They're always taking BPA, which is why they're always in the upper echelon of NFL teams, year in and year out.

If a team drafts for need, they end up chasing after the same position, year in and year out. Look at the Chiefs drafts from 2000-2009. It's a constant theme of drafting defensive tackles and defensive ends in rounds 1, 2 and 3, none of whom amounted to jack shit.

So, if you want to draft for need, be prepared to fail, time and time again.

Again, why are there only 2 options you're considering? It doesn't have to be 100% BPA or 100% need.

I agree, doing what the Cowboys did in 2017 and saying they had to take Taco Charlton because they needed a DE led to them drafting a bust. Don't zero in on a single position.

But I refuse to believe that Brett Veach doesn't take need into consideration. If they have a TE at #25 on their board and a CB/LB/RB at #30 on their board, do you really think they're going to take the TE because he's ranked just a little higher? I guess you believe that, I don't. I think they take the position that fills a need. Now if they had a TE ranked top 10 on their board and he somehow falls to #32, then yeah I do think there's a possibility he would be the pick as it's too good of a value to pass up. But under the assumption that doesn't happen, and they have a bunch of players ranked in a similar manner, my belief is that positional need would help to determine which player they take.

OKchiefs
04-17-2020, 02:19 PM
Delpit, without hesitation.

His football IQ is sky high, he's 6'3 and ran a 4.39 40 and can play Safety, CB and be a Hybrid LBer on 3rd downs. He can cover tight ends and taller receives like Mike Williams. He offers so much value, maybe as much as Isaiah Simmons can, in the right defense.

That said, this is why it would be nice to have a 6th or 7th because I think there's a good chance that Akers is gone before #63. He would be my ideal 2nd round running back so if he's gone, the Chiefs may wait until the 3rd to make that selection because there may be better value at WR, CB or LB at #63, than running back.

Isn't that the type of player we envisioned O'Daniel being? So what went wrong with O'Daniel? Is it him as a player that was the failure, or was it us trying to draft a hybrid player that couldn't excel at either position?

I've seen too many S/LB hybrids fail to believe it's such an easy position. Besides DOD, we've seen someone like Taylor Mays come out of USC with a similar skillset and fail to make it in the NFL.

Shields68
Food for thought: If the jags offer Pick 20 and 73 for Chris Jones, and you can guarantee Murray or Queen is there at 20... Do you accept that trade?

It depends on whether you believe you will be able to sign Jones and make his contract work with the upcoming Mahomes contract.

If you don't then you make the trade. But realistically you need to make the trade prior to the draft. You need Jones signed before you can deal him and no team is going to deal for him unless they know what the numbers of his actual contract. So there won't be a guarantee.

DaneMcCloud
But I refuse to believe that Brett Veach doesn't take need into consideration. If they have a TE at #25 on their board and a CB/LB/RB at #30 on their board, do you really think they're going to take the TE because he's ranked just a little higher? I guess you believe that, I don't.

I believe they would have a heated discussion for sure. Kelce will be 31 this upcoming season and the Chiefs have little behind him. If Kelce is out for several weeks, the offense changes considerably.

The Chiefs don't need a Top 5 defense to win the Super Bowl but they do need a Top 5 Offense to win the Super Bowl.

Take away Kelce and it becomes that much more difficult.

I think they take the position that fills a need.

The Chiefs most pressing needs are RB, LB, WR and CB, IMO. There's a bit of a dropoff between Round 1 & 2 RB's, not a whole lot between WR's, the linebacking position is one the Chiefs just don't seem to value like you do and the CB position could use some depth but their starters are essentially set.

I'd expect there to be a debate but in the end, they'll take the BPA.

It doesn't make sense to take the 8th rated LB when the 3rd or 4th rated RB is on the board.

smithandrew051
04-17-2020, 02:23 PM
It’s much easier to make the argument for BPA for this Chiefs team. The holes aren’t as bad as most teams. If we have a weak spot, it’s essentially the same positions as last year and we won a Super Bowl with that. Great position to be in.

Kiimo
04-17-2020, 02:25 PM
If Claypool is sitting there at our 2nd pick I'm saying screw need, let's run 60 point per game on this country

Pitt Gorilla
04-17-2020, 02:27 PM
Again, why are there only 2 options you're considering? It doesn't have to be 100% BPA or 100% need.

I agree, doing what the Cowboys did in 2017 and saying they had to take Taco Charlton because they needed a DE led to them drafting a bust. Don't zero in on a single position.

But I refuse to believe that Brett Veach doesn't take need into consideration. If they have a TE at #25 on their board and a CB/LB/RB at #30 on their board, do you really think they're going to take the TE because he's ranked just a little higher? I guess you believe that, I don't. I think they take the position that fills a need. Now if they had a TE ranked top 10 on their board and he somehow falls to #32, then yeah I do think there's a possibility he would be the pick as it's too good of a value to pass up. But under the assumption that doesn't happen, and they have a bunch of players ranked in a similar manner, my belief is that positional need would help to determine which player they take.
It’s much more likely that 25 isn’t really 5 “spots” ahead of 30. So, BPA could literally be either.

OKchiefs
04-17-2020, 02:28 PM
I believe they would have a heated discussion for sure. Kelce will be 31 this upcoming season and the Chiefs have little behind him. If Kelce is out for several weeks, the offense changes considerably.

The Chiefs don't need a Top 5 defense to win the Super Bowl but they do need a Top 5 Offense to win the Super Bowl.

The Chiefs most pressing needs are RB, LB, WR and CB, IMO. There's a bit of a dropoff between Round 1 & 2 RB's, not a whole lot between WR's, the linebacking position is one the Chiefs just don't seem to value like you do and the CB position could use some depth but their starters are essentially set.

It doesn't make sense to take the 8th rated LB when the 3rd or 4th rated RB is on the board.

I also believe the Chiefs take the entire pool of available players into consideration. Veach was quoted yesterday on positions that had good depth in the draft. If you have 2 players ranked in a similar manner, but one of the positions has good depth available and you think you can get another player later in the draft, I see Veach taking the position that drops off in the later rounds.

I just think there are a lot more variables and teams take many things into consideration beyond BPA, such as:

- current need
- future need
- positional value
- age and contracts of current players
- depth in the draft at other positions
- free agents still on the market
- etc.

And I also don't agree that the Chiefs don't value linebacker like I do. Several people have posted about how the Chiefs may have taken a linebacker in the 1st in 2017 if they hadn't taken Mahomes. They gave a pretty large contract to Hitchens for a team that supposedly doesn't value linebacker. They spent a 3rd on DOD. I do believe they value linebacker and their experience the last 2 years of teams beating them to death with passes to tight ends and runningbacks in the flats and short to intermediate zones has taught them the value of having linebackers that can cover.

BryanBusby
04-17-2020, 02:31 PM
2017? Different GM and DC there.

Shields68
04-17-2020, 02:33 PM

I agree it is never 100% of either. Think there is always a number of players who are very close together and position need is the deciding factor. Even Veech said he was looking a couple years down the road on the selections. Which indicate that positions and future contracts are a consideration.

Though it is funny that the op and those in favor of taking RB talk about BPA but really their main argument is that the Chiefs are in need of RB.

OKchiefs
04-17-2020, 02:36 PM
2017? Different GM and DC there.

Sure, but I don't think Veach is just a complete 180 from how Dorsey did things. Sure there are differences, but likely a lot of similarities. And Andy is still the coach and we all know he has a big say on the personnel side.

I just see no reason to believe this team can experience the deficiencies we have had on defense the last 2 years or more defending passes to RBs and TEs and not believe linebacker is big need. If the board just doesn't workout then fine, so be it. But do any of you really think they're content with Niemann joining Hitchens and Wilson in the starting lineup? That's probably a bottom 5 linebacker group in the NFL and the biggest culprit for our problems on defense. The DL is great, S are great, CB are likely passable in 2020 with the signing of Breeland and assuming we don't have multiple injuries. LB is the one position on defense that isn't anywhere close to being acceptable.

duncan_idaho
04-17-2020, 02:38 PM

I think that’s really what Dane is advocating there.

Teams typically place some type of grade (1A/early first, 1B, mid first, etc) on players. Each team has its own list of players it consider true first-round talents.

They then follow that list and compare it to team needs.

Cesar Ruiz might be #30 on their board compared to Swift at #22, which doesn’t seem like a lot... unless their first round grades stop @ 22.

If you have two guys with the same grade/score, yeah, need factors in.

Smart teams just don’t drop down grades to draft for need.

KChiefs1
04-17-2020, 03:30 PM
False

Also False

Speculation

False

Thanks!

DaneMcCloud
04-17-2020, 03:35 PM
Thanks!

LMAO

Easy 6
04-17-2020, 03:54 PM
If we can get Shane Lemieux in the third or fourth, everything else will be gravy IMO

His pass blocking needs refined, but that’s what we pay Heck for... otherwise he sounds perfect

“Brings the attitude of a mauler, but possesses good movement skills as well. He’s at his best pulling around as a lead blocker, where he shows the nimble feet, balance, and vision to rip open running lanes. Thrives on physicality and violence, looking to punish defenders and always finishes hard. He can fire off the LOS and drive defenders back with pure lower body power. In pass protection he plays with his head on a swivel, with the quick feet and set to adjust quickly to stunts.”

That’s what I’m talking about, a mauler with quick feet and finesse skills... we NEED some angry on this line

FAX
04-17-2020, 03:57 PM
Perhaps it's time that Veachy bucks the trend, pulls the ejection-seat-lever of precedent, violates all generally-accepted tradition, and drafts someone we have no need for whatsoever ...

Psychologically, that could throw the rest of the league into a tizzy the likes of which we have never before witnessed.

The move could then well lead all the other copycat teams to execute their own series of bizarrely unthinkable picks throughout the 2nd and 3rd which, in turn, allows the best players to fall to us to the 4th.

FAX

Chris Meck
04-17-2020, 04:54 PM
If we can get Shane Lemieux in the third or fourth, everything else will be gravy IMO

His pass blocking needs refined, but that’s what we pay Heck for... otherwise he sounds perfect

“Brings the attitude of a mauler, but possesses good movement skills as well. He’s at his best pulling around as a lead blocker, where he shows the nimble feet, balance, and vision to rip open running lanes. Thrives on physicality and violence, looking to punish defenders and always finishes hard. He can fire off the LOS and drive defenders back with pure lower body power. In pass protection he plays with his head on a swivel, with the quick feet and set to adjust quickly to stunts.”

That’s what I’m talking about, a mauler with quick feet and finesse skills... we NEED some angry on this line

plus we seem to like them guards with french names!

I don't know though. Seems like we need some polacks in there. Some 'skis'. Wiesniewski's gone you know.

BryanBusby
04-17-2020, 05:00 PM
Sure, but I don't think Veach is just a complete 180 from how Dorsey did things. Sure there are differences, but likely a lot of similarities. And Andy is still the coach and we all know he has a big say on the personnel side.

I just see no reason to believe this team can experience the deficiencies we have had on defense the last 2 years or more defending passes to RBs and TEs and not believe linebacker is big need. If the board just doesn't workout then fine, so be it. But do any of you really think they're content with Niemann joining Hitchens and Wilson in the starting lineup? That's probably a bottom 5 linebacker group in the NFL and the biggest culprit for our problems on defense. The DL is great, S are great, CB are likely passable in 2020 with the signing of Breeland and assuming we don't have multiple injuries. LB is the one position on defense that isn't anywhere close to being acceptable.
From what I can tell, they are way different. Can't agree at all with that assessment.

kcclone
04-17-2020, 05:33 PM
Nate Taylor and Soren discussed the possibility of Veach trading Jones and our first to move up.

That would be very interesting.

Easy 6
04-17-2020, 05:34 PM
Nate Taylor and Soren discussed the possibility of Veach trading Jones and our first to move up.

No it wouldn’t, Jones isn’t going anywhere

Chiefshrink
04-17-2020, 05:35 PM
I think if there is a position they covet to fill and that particular player falls to them at 32 it will be at CB otherwise IF they can find a partner they will trade down and get a couple of picks. What potential coveted CBs might be there at 32??

staylor26
04-17-2020, 05:40 PM

It better be for Isaiah fucking Simmons if Buckner is valued at the 13th overall pick.

saphojunkie
04-17-2020, 05:46 PM

How can WR be a top need when we return all top four guys? I know it will be a need going forward, but I just don't see that.

I believe our most pressing need - above all others - is offensive line. Protecting mahomes is job #1. A great offensive line makes the RBs better. It makes the wide receivers better. It makes Mahomes better. this is the time to invest in that position group, I feel.

That doesn't mean that you have to draft OL first, but if you gave me one position group on this team to be elite, that's the one I'd take. give Mahomes time and he'll shred any defense. Open up running lanes and you'll see softer defenses.

Also, the idea of BPA is predicated on the idea that you can actually quantify positions. I think there are tiers or clusters of players. So, if you have a TE and a OL in the same cluster, you'd likely take the OL given how much more pressing of a need it is. But I do think we're going to see a TE coming in the draft sooner tan later.

BryanBusby
04-17-2020, 05:46 PM

It's not impossible, but I really doubt it.

JakeF
04-17-2020, 06:42 PM
Yup, except I still think we need more help at RDE.

We don't know if Kpass can start and Okafor misses an average of 3 games each year. He isn't exactly a sack machine either. I know Clark is a our big sack guy but more pressure from the right side would really help.

JakeF
04-17-2020, 06:48 PM
How can WR be a top need when we return all top four guys? I know it will be a need going forward, but I just don't see that.

I believe our most pressing need - above all others - is offensive line. Protecting mahomes is job #1. A great offensive line makes the RBs better. It makes the wide receivers better. It makes Mahomes better. this is the time to invest in that position group, I feel.

That doesn't mean that you have to draft OL first, but if you gave me one position group on this team to be elite, that's the one I'd take. give Mahomes time and he'll shred any defense. Open up running lanes and you'll see softer defenses.

Also, the idea of BPA is predicated on the idea that you can actually quantify positions. I think there are tiers or clusters of players. So, if you have a TE and a OL in the same cluster, you'd likely take the OL given how much more pressing of a need it is. But I do think we're going to see a TE coming in the draft sooner tan later.
Oline makes everything on offense better and keeps Mahomes healthy. It seems like the LG position has been a pain in our ass since Dave Szott. A stud blocking TE would be nice too. That means Kelce doesn't have to stay in to block when we run into guys like Bosa.

MahomesMagic
04-17-2020, 06:50 PM
I like how Veach said there will be players at 32 you won't expect.

Seems to be a theme as Rappaport quoted a GM saying the media mocks have never been more wrong before a draft.

DaneMcCloud
04-17-2020, 07:01 PM

Sammy Watkins hasn't played a full 16 game season since his rookie year of 2014. DeMarcus Robinson is on a one year deal and is fairly unreliable so if one them goes down, they'd have Pringle or Kemp, at least at this point, as their 4th receiver. That doesn't inspire confidence.

This draft class may end up being better than the 2014 class of receivers and I'd really hate to see the Chiefs pass because next year, the class isn't as deep or strong.

I competely disagree. Offensively, the biggest need is running back. Williams has never been healthy for 16 games and Thompson and Darrel Williams are barely JAGS.

If the Chiefs want to protect Mahomes, get him a true Feature Back.

If defensive coordinators don't need to game plan for a good to great running back, they can just line up and bull rush Mahomes all game long. Even the threat of a great running back will freeze the LBer's and safeties just long enough for Hill and Kelce to gain separation.

See Mahomes 50 TD's in 2018 with Kareem Hunt versus 2019. No team feared the Chiefs running attack.

I don't think the OL need is pressing, at all. They need more depth but I see no reason for Reid to change his philosophy, which has been to draft IOL late and develop guys.

Kiimo
04-17-2020, 07:35 PM
I'd say our need on the line is guard and this draft isn't great on top end guard so get a fatty who can move in the 3rd or 4th.

I agree with Dane about WR, but not about RB. Sorry Dane, you make a good argument but a feature back hasn't gotten a team to the SB in a while save the Rams and they got a whopping 3 points.

I just don't think a 1st round RB is at all needed in TYOOL 2020. If the right WR falls I'll be ecstatic.

If Jefferson is a couple spots above us, I'd even trade UP for him. The only other 1st round position I'd want is LB, maybe DL

DaneMcCloud
04-17-2020, 07:47 PM
I agree with Dane about WR, but not about RB. Sorry Dane, you make a good argument but a feature back hasn't gotten a team to the SB in a while save the Rams and they got a whopping 3 points.

Damien Williams has been in the league for six years and has 1,200 yards rushing because he's never healthy. Darrel and Darwin Award Thompson are JAGS at best.

Reid's always had a workhorse running back, whether it was Brian Westbrook, Lesean McCoy, Jamaal Charles or Kareem Hunt. Spencer Ware may have been that guy but he too was injured and never returned to form.

The Ravens and other AFC teams will be improved this upcoming season and if the Chiefs ignore their glaring hole at running back (they won't), they'll have a very difficult time getting the #1 seed, which should be the goal of any championship contender given the new playoff format.

RunKC
04-17-2020, 08:06 PM
I promise you guys I’m not saying this to be a contrarian or troll, but have many of you really looked into Cam Akers? With respect to the Edwards-Helaire and Dobbins fan club, I have to say I disagree.

This is the best RB for Andy Reid in this draft. Cam Akers is like Damien Williams and Kareem Hunt combined.

Produced behind a shitty OL, breakaway speed, excellent catch ability, makes people miss and just drags tacklers with good balance.

I will be incredibly sad if this guy is not a Chief next week

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">2020 RB Draft Prospect:<br>Cam Akers, FSU<br><br>Height: 5’10”<br>Weight: 217 lb<br>40 Time: 4.47<br><br>- Versatile Back (586 rushes, 69 receptions)<br>- Dangerous in Open Field (ability to make defenders miss)<br>- Needs to work on Pass Protection @ next level <a href="https://t.co/Ntp8gk71HQ">pic.twitter.com/Ntp8gk71HQ</a></p>&mdash; JET UP (@NYJFilms) <a href="https://twitter.com/NYJFilms/status/1249702230015574016?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 13, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

MahomesMagic
04-17-2020, 08:41 PM
I promise you guys I’m not saying this to be a contrarian or troll, but have many of you really looked into Cam Akers? With respect to the Edwards-Helaire and Dobbins fan club, I have to say I disagree.

This is the best RB for Andy Reid in this draft. Cam Akers is like Damien Williams and Kareem Hunt combined.

Produced behind a shitty OL, breakaway speed, excellent catch ability, makes people miss and just drags tacklers with good balance.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">2020 RB Draft Prospect:<br>Cam Akers, FSU<br><br>Height: 5’10”<br>Weight: 217 lb<br>40 Time: 4.47<br><br>- Versatile Back (586 rushes, 69 receptions)<br>- Dangerous in Open Field (ability to make defenders miss)<br>- Needs to work on Pass Protection @ next level <a href="https://t.co/Ntp8gk71HQ">pic.twitter.com/Ntp8gk71HQ</a></p>&mdash; JET UP (@NYJFilms) <a href="https://twitter.com/NYJFilms/status/1249702230015574016?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 13, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'll be honest. I have no idea how good Akers is. There are times he looked amazing against crap teams. There are times he looked terrible..maybe it was his OL.

He very well could be great. To me its a dice roll.

Chris Meck
04-17-2020, 08:45 PM

I like Akers A LOT.

DaneMcCloud
04-17-2020, 08:49 PM
I like Akers A LOT.

You've probably seen me say this a number of times but I'd really love to see the Chiefs move back into the second round and take Akers but if they can't, I'm fine with him at #32.

I have a hard time believing he'll be there at #63...

FAX
04-17-2020, 08:49 PM

Well ...

I might observe two dogs taking turns licking each others' butts one day but I won't make a special effort to mention it to Chiefs fans, Mr. kcclone.

That aside, although Jones would have significant trade value, I hope they find a way to keep him. We've made the mistake of trading effective, young d-linemen before. It's no fun.

FAX

staylor26
04-17-2020, 08:53 PM
You've probably seen me say this a number of times but I'd really love to see the Chiefs move back into the second round and take Akers but if they can't, I'm fine with him at #32.

I have a hard time believing he'll be there at #63...

Swift
Taylor
Dobbins
Edwards-Helaire
Akers

More likely than not all of these guys are on the board at the start of round 2. Maybe one will be gone. It’s just a numbers game, somebody has to fall. Whoever it is, I’ll take them.

BigRedChief
04-17-2020, 10:41 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Draft fact of day<br><br>Since the Ravens&#39; inaugural 1996 season, here are the teams who have drafted the most Pro Bowl players (only counting those who made PB with their original team):<br><br>Chiefs 27<br>Cowboys 26<br>Packers 26<br>Ravens 25<br>Bears 23<br>Steelers 23<br><br>Source: Elias Sports Bureau</p>&mdash; Jamison Hensley (@jamisonhensley) <a href="https://twitter.com/jamisonhensley/status/1251152131752464392?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 17, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

FAX
04-17-2020, 11:21 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Draft fact of day<br><br>Since the Ravens&#39; inaugural 1996 season, here are the teams who have drafted the most Pro Bowl players (only counting those who made PB with their original team):<br><br>Chiefs 27<br>Cowboys 26<br>Packers 26<br>Ravens 25<br>Bears 23<br>Steelers 23<br><br>Source: Elias Sports Bureau</p>&mdash; Jamison Hensley (@jamisonhensley) <a href="https://twitter.com/jamisonhensley/status/1251152131752464392?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 17, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That, Mr. BigRedChief, is a huge surprise ... to me, at least.

I think about all the great players on Chiefs rosters that somehow came up short, but this is a crazy factoid.

FAX

Stryker
04-17-2020, 11:41 PM
Swift
Taylor
Dobbins
Edwards-Helaire
Akers

More likely than not all of these guys are on the board at the start of round 2. Maybe one will be gone. It’s just a numbers game, somebody has to fall. Whoever it is, I’ll take them.

I can't see Swift leaving round 1. The rest yes. I am still on board with taking Dobbins @ 32 if a serious LB or CB is NOT there. Just my .02

staylor26
04-17-2020, 11:54 PM
I can't see Swift leaving round 1. The rest yes. I am still on board with taking Dobbins @ 32 if a serious LB or CB is NOT there. Just my .02

If Swift is coming off the board it has to be us or the Dolphins barring a team trading up into the 1st for him (unlikely).

Look at the teams picking from 20-32. We’re the only 2 teams that need a RB.

Chieftain
04-17-2020, 11:55 PM
The pro bowl award is the most useless and misleading award which shouldn't even exist. A player should be awarded based on his production and not popularity.
I think many would agree that both Fisher and Sherman were not worthy of the award a couple of years back. And neither was Hardman as a kick return specialist this past season. Thornhill who was throughout the year our most consistent player on D was left out. Maybe his late season injury played a part. Who knows?!

Stryker
04-18-2020, 12:05 AM
If Swift is coming off the board it has to be us or the Dolphins barring a team trading up into the 1st for him (unlikely).

Agreed and I believe the Dolphins take Swift, leaving us CEH or Dobbins - I am really changing my mind and want Dobbins. Go for the kill! This only maximizes clock management in my book with a duel threat ground game. The rest of the draft, let it play out.

Tribal Warfare
04-18-2020, 12:06 AM
Swift
Taylor
Dobbins
Edwards-Helaire
Akers

If the Chiefs do trade down then it's not specific player Veach and Reid are enamoured with since past history dictates they are extremely aggressive during draft day to the point of trading next season's picks

It's going to be a true BPA or "prospect cluster" to choose from in a trade down scenario

Stryker
04-18-2020, 12:10 AM

We have an incredible offense and one of these RBs could only make us more lethal. Look what our D did towards the end of the season and through out the playoffs and of course, the ultimate prize. With the remaining draft selections, fill in the gaps with BPA.

BlackOp
04-18-2020, 03:20 AM
Swift
Taylor
Dobbins
Edwards-Helaire
Akers

I'd love to see Mahomes paired up with mauler/physical type RB.....reason being is KC's WRs/scheme tires out a defense.

We saw this in the SB...7 minutes left and SF was gassed. This led to Williams long run...

Henry in this offense would be brutal...I saw he gained 500 more yards after half-time, last year. We ALL saw that in the 2018 playoffs. It sucks that the media demonized Hunt over a pretty minor altercation.

Hunt was a perfect physical contrast to Reid's finesse offense....I would think Veach knows this. Zack Moss had the 3rd most broken tackles ever recorded by PFF...they have him as their #2 RB. (5-9/223)

Chargem
04-18-2020, 04:44 AM
Swift, Taylor, Dobbins, CEH, Akers, Moss all would be an upgrade, but 4 of them will be on the board at 32, so seems pretty wasteful to take one if that situation occurs. I think there's a really high chance there is at least 2 of those 5 still to choose from at the back of the 2nd.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
04-18-2020, 04:50 AM

They need to have something to talk about.

jallmon
04-18-2020, 08:12 AM
Terez talked about a CB "top-100 draft pick", but I didn't see where he talked about an RB in the 1st round. Talked about OL, "and beyond that.." was the RB.

MahomesMagic
04-18-2020, 08:16 AM
I have a feeling the Chiefs love Dobbins.

He fits what we do and allows us to pound away at people and change the pace on offense.

It also punishes teams for playing the pass.

Chiefshrink
04-18-2020, 09:11 AM
It is who Veach and Reid didn't interview and a position they aren't talking about is who they will take. Come on fellas it is poker time right now. You can't believe anything any GM/Coach is saying right now. And with this virus crap cramping the evaluation process to some degree, makes it even more stealth IMHO which is good but the downside might also be drafting a bust more likely as well. Let's hope our scouts and Veach really did a thorough job in spite of winning the SB which took time away from the evaluation process.:shrug:

neech
04-18-2020, 09:21 AM
It is who Veach and Reid didn't interview and a position they aren't talking about is who they will take. Come on fellas it is poker time right now. You can't believe anything any GM/Coach is saying right now. And with this virus crap cramping the evaluation process to some degree, makes it even more stealth IMHO which is good but the downside might also be drafting a bust more likely as well. Let's hope our scouts and Veach really did a thorough job in spite of winning the SB which took time away from the evaluation process.:shrug:

CS I will make my prediction on what will happen on draft day and I'd be interested to hear yours of course. (There are no wrong answers)

I think the Chiefs will move down in the draft to obtain extra picks and hopefully get a CB, LB or RB with the first three picks, and not necessarily in that order.

Your thoughts kind sir?

Chiefshrink
04-18-2020, 09:59 AM
CS I will make my prediction on what will happen on draft day and I'd be interested to hear yours of course. (There are no wrong answers)

I think the Chiefs will move down in the draft to obtain extra picks and hopefully get a CB, LB or RB with the first three picks, and not necessarily in that order.

Your thoughts kind sir?

Your instincts are right on my friend, however, this year is a total crap shoot at 32 knowing our needs, lack of picks and yet immense talent that could very well fall in our lap at 32. You can never have enough CBs and pass rushers. Do Reid/Veach see any elite talent in those positions falling to them in the 1st rd? Who knows ??

Do they value a particular RB so much to take at 32 or do they wait ? Reid/Veach have done pretty well duct taping a running game together to win a SB so......signing Washington is a hint.

Because the WR position is immensely deep this year, the common sense wisdom would be to wait and take one in the later rounds BUT remember Watkins will be gone after next year so the question begs how do they really see this WR class and will a big time WR playmaker fall into their lap that could replace Sammy for the 2021 season with a year of learning under him which is huge. The fact that they did a one year deal with Sammy and paid him again tells you how important they(Reid/Veach) value a big WR playmaker in this offense. Don't be surprised IF they take a playmaking WR at 32.

Pat needs to be better protected PERIOD. And as everyone has discussed the majority of the pressure he gets comes up through the interior line. Do Reid/Veach value any interior linemen enough to take at 32 ??

The 32 position is great to be in when you have additional picks because you can move up IF your guy is there BUT that is not our situation as you know, just the opposite. The saving grace I feel is that this draft is LOADED with talent at many positions and I think some serious talent will fall into our lap. What we really don't know is how Reid/Veach see this talent to either stay at 32 and pick or entice/entertain other teams to trade back in the 1st to acquire more picks.

I think they have coveted two positions this year that IF particular players they covet at these positions fall to them they will pick at 32. Those positions are CB first and WR second if their coveted CB is taken IMHO.

My mantra when referring to the draft is "watch what they have done, not what they say".

Anything can happen this year my friend. Total crap shoot.

RunKC
04-18-2020, 10:07 AM
For the Delpit fans..if he’s gone and we want someone like him, look at this guy. Burgess looks like a great fit for Spags.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Draft quick hits (3/4):<br><br>I mentioned a couple of days ago that Memphis RB Antonio Gibson had a majority of praise across the team sources I speak with. At defensive back, Utah&#39;s Terrell Burgess is very similar. He&#39;s listed as a safety, but is fluid enough to play nickel.</p>&mdash; Lance Zierlein (@LanceZierlein) <a href="https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein/status/1251537606736785417?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 18, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Chief Northman
04-18-2020, 10:08 AM
For the Delpit fans..if he’s gone and we want someone like him, look at this guy. Burgess looks like a great fit for Spags.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Draft quick hits (3/4):<br><br>I mentioned a couple of days ago that Memphis RB Antonio Gibson had a majority of praise across the team sources I speak with. At defensive back, Utah&#39;s Terrell Burgess is very similar. He&#39;s listed as a safety, but is fluid enough to play nickel.</p>&mdash; Lance Zierlein (@LanceZierlein) <a href="https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein/status/1251537606736785417?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 18, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Chiefs have met with him too.

neech
04-18-2020, 10:12 AM
It is a tough one to predict especially if certain players which they thought would've come off the board but are still there at pick 32.

I'm sure Veach and his team go through all kinds of scenarios and plans at the ready for whatever happens. It will be interesting.

Chiefshrink
04-18-2020, 10:19 AM
they thought would've come off the board but are still there at pick 32.

And why are they still there would be the biggest question ? Is it because of deep talent that has pushed them down or something nefarious with the player? This is where homework pays off.;)

I'm sure Veach and his team go through all kinds of scenarios and plans at the ready for whatever happens. It will be interesting.

Oh no doubt.:thumb:

Chris Meck
04-18-2020, 10:52 AM

He's my sleeper pick.

at that size and speed and a fluid receiver? That just screams Andy Reid to me.

Chiefaholic
04-18-2020, 11:59 AM
I'd love to see the actual draft board with all the post it notes and such, just to see what it's like in the draft room (even post draft).

Chiefshrink
04-18-2020, 12:26 PM
I'd love to see the actual draft board with all the post it notes and such, just to see what it's like in the draft room (even post draft).

You and me both brother !;)

DaneMcCloud
04-18-2020, 01:24 PM
The pro bowl award is the most useless and misleading award which shouldn't even exist. A player should be awarded based on his production and not popularity.

Apparently, you haven't read the new CBA

DaneMcCloud
04-18-2020, 01:27 PM

Devin Singletary had a very nice rookie season for the Bills last year, so I wonder if there are more eyes on Gibson than reported?

Tribal Warfare
04-18-2020, 01:28 PM
Your instincts are right on my friend, however, this year is a total crap shoot at 32 knowing our needs, lack of picks and yet immense talent that could very well fall in our lap at 32. You can never have enough CBs and pass rushers. Do Reid/Veach see any elite talent in those positions falling to them in the 1st rd? Who knows ??

Do they value a particular RB so much to take at 32 or do they wait ? Reid/Veach have done pretty well duct taping a running game together to win a SB so......signing Washington is a hint.

Because the WR position is immensely deep this year, the common sense wisdom would be to wait and take one in the later rounds BUT remember Watkins will be gone after next year so the question begs how do they really see this WR class and will a big time WR playmaker fall into their lap that could replace Sammy for the 2021 season with a year of learning under him which is huge. The fact that they did a one year deal with Sammy and paid him again tells you how important they(Reid/Veach) value a big WR playmaker in this offense. Don't be surprised IF they take a playmaking WR at 32.

Pat needs to be better protected PERIOD. And as everyone has discussed the majority of the pressure he gets comes up through the interior line. Do Reid/Veach value any interior linemen enough to take at 32 ??

The 32 position is great to be in when you have additional picks because you can move up IF your guy is there BUT that is not our situation as you know, just the opposite. The saving grace I feel is that this draft is LOADED with talent at many positions and I think some serious talent will fall into our lap. What we really don't know is how Reid/Veach see this talent to either stay at 32 and pick or entice/entertain other teams to trade back in the 1st to acquire more picks.

I think they have coveted two positions this year that IF particular players they covet at these positions fall to them they will pick at 32. Those positions are CB first and WR second if their coveted CB is taken IMHO.

My mantra when referring to the draft is "watch what they have done, not what they say".

Anything can happen this year my friend. Total crap shoot.

Duct tapeing the RB position fucked the Chiefs against the Patriots in the AFCC and had Mahomes limping around and injured. It's the DGAF draft if the BPA is a RB select the motherfucker

Chiefshrink
04-18-2020, 02:41 PM
Duct tapeing the RB position ****ed the Chiefs against the Patriots in the AFCC and had Mahomes limping around and injured. It's the DGAF draft if the BPA is a RB select the mother****er

Wrong. Ford screwed us and not being able to stop the run screwed us regardless of a missed block by a RB. Ford lines up correctly we would have 2 SBs regardless of patchwork RBs and porous run defense. Don't get me wrong here I agree that we need to upgrade at RB BUT at 32 remains to be seen.

BlackOp
04-18-2020, 05:26 PM
This is an interesting draft for KC for multiple reason....

#1. They are returning 20 of 22 players from a SB winning roster. This a pretty rare. There arent a lot of starting roster spots. They also have a lot of players scheduled to be FAs in 2021.

#2. They are about to make Mahomes the highest payed player in NFL history.

#3. They likely will be picking in the bottom of rounds for the foreseeable future.

#4. This is a deep draft at multiple position...maybe the deepest at WR in over a decade.

The way I see it...this is a "re-stocking" year. So if a player falls that would normally go higher in a different draft....you weigh the positional value if several players are available and graded similar. Money is going to be a factor going forward.

You take a WR over a RB at #32...Chiefs will be in position to draft a top RB every year...a top WR not so much. Receivers are also much more expensive.

They are going to lose Watkins next year...IMO.

Chiefs will also be in position to draft interior OL every year...so using #32 on a center is wasting resources.

You draft a CB over a LBer for the same reason...if they are graded similar.

Bottom line is KC needs to draft for 2021 and beyond by taking BPA at positions that are expensive.

CB, LT, DE, DT, WR...

For my own selfish reasons...I want them to take the best RB at #32 for THIS season. A top WR makes more long term sense as they might not have the opportunity to land one in a different year...

Anyway...this draft will help define 2021. There will massive turnover after this season.

Tribal Warfare
04-18-2020, 05:42 PM
Wrong. Ford screwed us and not being able to stop the run screwed us regardless of a missed block by a RB. Ford lines up correctly we would have 2 SBs regardless of patchwork RBs and porous run defense. Don't get me wrong here I agree that we need to upgrade at RB BUT at 32 remains to be seen.

Did you miss the part of Sutton calling the defense? Yeah that's part of that execution part getting into that situation in the 1st place.

KC needs a running game to manage the workload for Patrick unless you like shortening his career

Chieftain
04-18-2020, 05:58 PM
A guy like Ruiz is a better investment imo. You have your starting C who will protect Mahomes for the next decade. Running backs are a dime a dozen in every draft. Quality receivers are hit or miss. Some examples: Ross, Agholor, Blackmon, Rogers and many others. The linebacker position is equally important in terms of impact and a guy like Queen would be hard to pass on. One of these two guys should be a must pick in the 1st round.

DaneMcCloud
04-18-2020, 06:02 PM
A guy like Ruiz is a better investment imo. You have your starting C who will protect Mahomes for the next decade.

Um, no.

The Chiefs aren't paying a center $14 million+ a year for center after his rookie deal expires.

Buckweath
04-18-2020, 06:52 PM
There is zero chance this team takes a WR at #32 overall. Not only is the draft super deep at that position but there is no urgency to draft a WR high when you can expect Hill and Hardman to be the top 2 WRs for the next few years(after Watkins leaves).

Unlikely that they take a RB.

LB and CB and to a lesser extent IOL are very likely.

I thought of DE but I don't see it.

Pitt Gorilla
04-18-2020, 07:26 PM
A guy like Ruiz is a better investment imo. You have your starting C who will protect Mahomes for the next decade. Running backs are a dime a dozen in every draft. Quality receivers are hit or miss. Some examples: Ross, Agholor, Blackmon, Rogers and many others. The linebacker position is equally important in terms of impact and a guy like Queen would be hard to pass on. One of these two guys should be a must pick in the 1st round.
Next decade? When did we last re-sign a stud center?

FAX
04-18-2020, 07:38 PM
Did you miss the part of Sutton calling the defense? Yeah that's part of that execution part getting into that situation in the 1st place.

KC needs a running game to manage the workload for Patrick unless you like shortening his career

You make a good point, Mr. Tribal Warfare ...

This also speaks to the concept that fans are torn between "supporting" the team and its component parts and "realistically" evaluating their performance.

For example ... I, for one, never truly comprehended just how poorly Sutton did his job.

FAX

RealSNR
04-18-2020, 08:08 PM
I don't have time to look through these stats, but I'd wonder about Damien Williams' conversion percentage when faced with 2 or fewer yards to gain.

I'd at least like to know about the playoffs when he was running his best on the season.

Like, it just seems like whenever he got a carry with short yardage to go, the guy was nails. I don't think he ever got stood up, though I could be wrong.

RealSNR
04-18-2020, 08:10 PM
Next decade? When did we last re-sign a stud center?

Hell, we didn't even re-sign Casey Weigmann directly after the Vermeil years. We let him walk to the Donks for a couple years.

Might have to go back to Grunhard.

Red Dawg
04-18-2020, 08:14 PM
Lots of one year deals on the team. OL fatty or DB in my opinion.

RunKC
04-18-2020, 08:23 PM
There is zero chance this team takes a WR at #32 overall. Not only is the draft super deep at that position but there is no urgency to draft a WR high when you can expect Hill and Hardman to be the top 2 WRs for the next few years(after Watkins leaves).

Unlikely that they take a RB.

LB and CB and to a lesser extent IOL are very likely.

I thought of DE but I don't see it.

I don’t see the Chiefs ever drafting an IOL in the first rd under Andy Reid. He’s gotten quality play from other resources outside the first rd. Morse 2nd rd, LDT and Fulton 6th rd, Reiter off the street. Get these guys in the mid rds and develop.
Perfect example is Cameron Clark. We’ve shown a lot of interest in him. Very good body frame and athleticism just like LDT.

Andy always drafts first rd players that are hard to find or obtain in FA. Pass rushers, LT, QB or coverage players.

If I was a betting man, I’d say a coverage player of some sort will be the pick (LB/DB) while pass rusher is a possibility.

I don’t think RB is gonna happen early. I see 63 being a RB due to teams splurging on these WR’s, OL, LB’s and DB’s. I think someone like Akers will be there.

Abba-Dabba
04-18-2020, 08:28 PM
Wouldn't mind seeing Zack Moss in a later round. His play style mirrors Kareem's and we all know how that style of play thrives in Andy's offense.

I worry about Damien's durability in a long season and I think that durability concern highlights the issues that brings up having to game plan around. Get him on the outside where he can use his speed and shiftiness and he is great. When he has to get physical, I always cringe with a peeking eye expecting something to break with him.

Considering Damien is on the last year of his contract. I can not for the life of me see him not test the FA market next year. So now is the time to think about the RB position. Doubtful Darwin Thompson can play a feature role so who could the RB be entering the 2021 season figures very much in this draft.

poolboy
04-18-2020, 08:36 PM
cbs mock has
1.Delpit
2. Cushinberry
3. Z. Moss

BlackOp
04-18-2020, 08:39 PM
Interesting that this team only has 3 first round picks that are starting.

Mahomes, Fisher and Watkins...the defense has zero.

Scheme fit and assistant coaches are obviously more important than arbitrary draft slot numbers.

People who think the Chiefs HAVE to draft a specific position at #32...arent paying attention to how this team is constructed.

Kelce, Hunt and Mathieu were 3rd round picks....

BlackOp
04-18-2020, 08:49 PM
There is zero chance this team takes a WR at #32 overall.

Veach is an ex-WR that aggressively went after Watkins then paid Hill.

This team is built on WRs and passing...and supplying Mahomes with top-quality weapons.

If there is one there he likes and thinks has fallen...I dont think he would hesitate. Chiefs will never skimp on WRs as long as he is the GM.

I 100% thought Watkins was a goner this season....nope. Even being cash strapped... they gave him $16 million this year (if he hits his incentives)

I guess you feel more comfortable going with Hill/Hardman than they do...

It depends on what their long-term plans are for Sammy...if they plan on keeping him, then they probably wouldn't draft one at #32.

My guess is they are going to need that money next year...

Chieftain
04-18-2020, 09:01 PM
cbs mock has
1.Delpit
2. Cushinberry
3. Z. Moss

I like #2 and #3 but Delpit doesn't make much sense since he is a safety and we already have two quality safeties.
A guy like Gladney would make a lot more sense since we are thin on talent at the CB position. A Gladney - Cushenberry - Moss as your top 3 would be one hell of a draft.

Couch-Potato
04-18-2020, 09:07 PM
Just finished The Draft Networks Mock Simulator and feel it was pretty accurate:

1. Murray ILB
2. Hall CB
3. Moss RB
4. Bredson IOL
5. Gandy-Golden WR

Buckweath
04-18-2020, 09:29 PM
I don’t see the Chiefs ever drafting an IOL in the first rd under Andy Reid. He’s gotten quality play from other resources outside the first rd. Morse 2nd rd, LDT and Fulton 6th rd, Reiter off the street. Get these guys in the mid rds and develop.
Perfect example is Cameron Clark. We’ve shown a lot of interest in him. Very good body frame and athleticism just like LDT.

Andy always drafts first rd players that are hard to find or obtain in FA. Pass rushers, LT, QB or coverage players.

If I was a betting man, I’d say a coverage player of some sort will be the pick (LB/DB) while pass rusher is a possibility.

I don’t think RB is gonna happen early. I see 63 being a RB due to teams splurging on these WR’s, OL, LB’s and DB’s. I think someone like Akers will be there.
Pretty much how I see things.

Buckweath
04-18-2020, 09:36 PM
Veach is an ex-WR that aggressively went after Watkins then paid Hill.

This team is built on WRs and passing...and supplying Mahomes with top-quality weapons.

If there is one there he likes and thinks has fallen...I dont think he would hesitate. Chiefs will never skimp on WRs as long as he is the GM.

I 100% thought Watkins was a goner this season....nope. Even being cash strapped... they gave him $16 million this year (if he hits his incentives)

I guess you feel more comfortable going with Hill/Hardman than they do...

It depends on what their long-term plans are for Sammy...if they plan on keeping him, then they probably wouldn't draft one at #32.

My guess is they are going to need that money next year...
I very strongly believe that there is no chance that they draft a WR at #32.

The draft is super deep at that position.

They have already their established top 4 WRs for next year.

They already have what looks likely to be their 1WR in Hill and 2WR in Hardman for the next few years.

If they draft a WR it will likely be round 3 or later but they could very well not draft one before next year.

dtrain
04-18-2020, 10:44 PM
A lot of people say that the interior oline is terrible how can a running back fix the running game? If there are no holes to run thru more times than not there is nothing the back can do and if the runner can make something happen with no holes he won't be around when the Chiefs draft. If the line is opening holes pretty much any back can make yards. If Murray or Queen aren't there at 32 try and trade back draft
someone to play right guard 2-5 and depending on how many picks are obtained maybe a center. Fisher, Rankin, Reiter, draftee, Schwartz. Algrettie (spelling?) is still her after a year of learning who could possibly play center.

BlackOp
04-19-2020, 01:19 AM
I'm not sure why CP is fixated on KC drafting a center @ #32....they just beat (arguably) the best d-line in football to win a SB....with a terrible interior line (if you listen to this forum)

No one has ever won a championship because their center took over a game.....you can get one later in the draft.

If Mahomes were 34 and no longer mobile...yeah...maybe. Chiefs o-line is serviceable...

MahomesMagic
04-19-2020, 04:37 AM
I'm not sure why CP is fixated on KC drafting a center @ #32....they just beat (arguably) the best d-line in football to win a SB....with a terrible interior line (if you listen to this forum)

No one has ever won a championship because their center took over a game.....you can get one later in the draft.

If Mahomes were 34 and no longer mobile...yeah...maybe. Chiefs o-line is serviceable...

Elite centers are huge difference makers. They might not get the credit in fantasy football but in real football they matter.

Abba-Dabba
04-19-2020, 05:12 AM
Elite centers are huge difference makers. They might not get the credit in fantasy football but in real football they matter.

That isn't saying much.

So are elite LT's. So are elite DT's. So are elite QB's. So are elite WR's. So are elite any thing.

There is a reason why it is called elite. Elite players are difference makers, period. Regardless of their position.

Skyy God
04-19-2020, 05:20 AM

CP wanted Cam Erving in 2015.

It's what we do.

Skyy God
04-19-2020, 05:21 AM

Chiefs tend to let their elite centers walk lately, suggesting Andy doesn't highly value the position.

Chris Meck
04-19-2020, 08:56 AM
I like #2 and #3 but Delpit doesn't make much sense since he is a safety and we already have two quality safeties.
A guy like Gladney would make a lot more sense since we are thin on talent at the CB position. A Gladney - Cushenberry - Moss as your top 3 would be one hell of a draft.

I like Gladney a lot, too.

I wouldn't discount taking a safety though; remember that we have shown a preference for versatility. Other than the outside CB's, we don't really line up in a traditional set so much as put guys on the field with versatile skillsets.

It's kind of like....we have linemen, we have linebackers, and we have defensive backs.

A guy like Jeremy Chinn, for example might be a real interesting chess piece; sort of a Honey Badger that is a LB/S hybrid to go with Mathieu's S/CB hybrid.

Chris Meck
04-19-2020, 08:58 AM
Chiefs tend to let their elite centers walk lately, suggesting Andy doesn't highly value the position.

I think If Morse tended to stay healthy, he'd still be here.

I think Fulton wasn't quite as mobile as Reid would prefer.

I think Reiter is not nearly as good as either.

Just my thoughts.

Chris Meck
04-19-2020, 09:01 AM
That isn't saying much.

So are elite LT's. So are elite DT's. So are elite QB's. So are elite WR's. So are elite any thing.

There is a reason why it is called elite. Elite players are difference makers, period. Regardless of their position.

well, picking at #32, you may have to go to an unsexy position to grab an elite player. The OT's, DT's, QB's and WR's considered elite are all gone.

But an elite fatty is still an elite player, and can have a big effect on your offense.

I'm not picking a hill to die on, I trust Veach and Reid to make the call. I'm just saying we've got playmakers all over. One more playmaker may not make that much difference, but a stud offensive lineman could make more of a difference than people think.

duncan_idaho
04-19-2020, 10:08 AM
well, picking at #32, you may have to go to an unsexy position to grab an elite player. The OT's, DT's, QB's and WR's considered elite are all gone.

But an elite fatty is still an elite player, and can have a big effect on your offense.

I'm not picking a hill to die on, I trust Veach and Reid to make the call. I'm just saying we've got playmakers all over. One more playmaker may not make that much difference, but a stud offensive lineman could make more of a difference than people think.

Are Cesar Ruiz or Lloyd Cushenberry elite guys, though? Really? Doesn’t seem to be the consensus.

MahomesMagic
04-19-2020, 10:51 AM
Are Cesar Ruiz or Lloyd Cushenberry elite guys, though? Really? Doesn’t seem to be the consensus.

Consensus of who? Mock draft people? Sure.

I think it could very well be that NFL teams view the prospects differently.

Erik McCoy lasted until the 2nd last year and he looked like a great pick.

https://www.si.com/nfl/saints/editorial-opinion/new-orleans-saints-season-review-erik-mccoy

I think Cushenberry might even be better than McCoy but the reason he isn't on your mock draft list is he jumped from last year to this year. Many of these lists favor guys that were already "supposed to be there" in the summer.

These same mock draft people said nothing about KJ Hamler and now every day I am seeing him on TV and suddenly getting featured on ESPN. Was he on the mock draft lists as an top prospect?! Nope. But someone at ESPN got told he's going high now.

Pitt Gorilla
04-19-2020, 12:46 PM

Just my thoughts.

What was wrong with Hudson?

Chris Meck
04-19-2020, 12:48 PM
What was wrong with Hudson?

Nothing's wrong with him. Nothing with Fulton either. Neither is as mobile I don't think as Morse but that's just my opinion.

Chiefshrink
04-19-2020, 01:29 PM

Did you miss the part about Ford lining up offsides even with Sutton as DC we still go to the SB. Don't get me wrong here, I'm glad Spags is our DC but......just saying.

In regards to the running game, a mediocre RB goes to good and a good RB goes to elite when the OL can run block effectively at will on any down both inside and outside. Our o-line is not physical enough in the interior to do that therefore Reid has to gas a good defense first with the pass before we can start running effectively(see SBLIV).

I don't care how good/elite a RB is, if he doesn't have a solid physical line in front of him, he is limited PERIOD. You want to extend Pat's career and vastly improve our run game give Pat some serious pass blocking and run blocking with a better interior line and that will do it.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-19-2020, 01:33 PM

Reiter was the second best OL after Schwartz against arguably the best defensive line in the past 5-10 years. Get fucked CP Reiter is better than what people give him credit for

DaneMcCloud
04-19-2020, 01:40 PM

Good grief.

The Chiefs have Tyrann Matheiu and an injured Juan Thornhill. A guy like Delpit, who ran a 4.39 40 and is 6'3, could cover tight ends and could move to safety, CB and even LBer on third downs.

He has tremendous value as a "chess piece" and there's no one else on the roster that has his combination of speed and size at the position.

DaneMcCloud
04-19-2020, 01:42 PM
CP wanted Cam Erving in 2015.

Nope. Direckshun, who is absolutely awful at player personnel assessments and mock drafts, was all over Cam Erving. There were plenty of us in the Draft Forum, including me, that wanted nothing to do with Erving.

DaneMcCloud
04-19-2020, 01:46 PM

Nah. The Chiefs aren't paying a center $16 million per year.

Fulton was a 6th rounder that was awful at the guard position but his ability to snap the ball is what saved him from being cut in his 3rd season.

Andy has been proven to find late IOLers and groom them into successful players in his system, so there was no reason to pay Zach Fulton $7 million per to be an adequate center and an below average guard.

Reiter's better in Pass Pro than Fulton and he's been available, which is half the battle. Fulton was more of a "Phone Booth" center, so he didn't really fit Andy's ideal center criteria. Morse had too many concussions and as mentioned earlier, his price tag was waaaaaaaaaaaay too high.

And while the center position could be upgraded, Chiefs can win with Reiter.

DaneMcCloud
04-19-2020, 01:49 PM
Nothing's wrong with him. Nothing with Fulton either. Neither is as mobile I don't think as Morse but that's just my opinion.

As a 3 time Pro-Bowler, Hudson was absolutely as mobile as Morse. But again, there's no reason for the Chiefs to pay a center $9 million a year, which is why Morse was drafted after Hudson bolted to the Raiders.

Chris Meck
04-19-2020, 02:01 PM
Nah. The Chiefs aren't paying a center $16 million per year.

Fulton was a 6th rounder that was awful at the guard position but his ability to snap the ball is what saved him from being cut in his 3rd season.

Andy has been proven to find late IOLers and groom them into successful players in his system, so there was no reason to pay Zach Fulton $7 million per to be an adequate center and an below average guard.

Reiter's better in Pass Pro than Fulton and he's been available, which is half the battle. Fulton was more of a "Phone Booth" center, so he didn't really fit Andy's ideal center criteria. Morse had too many concussions and as mentioned earlier, his price tag was waaaaaaaaaaaay too high.

And while the center position could be upgraded, Chiefs can win with Reiter.

Morse got $16 million a year?

Chris Meck
04-19-2020, 02:04 PM
Morse's deal is 4 years, $44.5 million. So roughly $11 million per. Cap hit may be more in any given year depending on structure.

I think that's way too much given his injury history.

Maybe too much regardless.

DaneMcCloud
04-19-2020, 02:05 PM
Morse got $16 million a year?

My apologies, his deal averages $11.5 million per.

The Bills would take more than a $16 million dead cap hit if he was to be released.

Chris Meck
04-19-2020, 02:07 PM
I mean, we can win with Reiter obviously, we just did.

Doesn't mean we can't get better.

We don't get any push up front, especially inside. We don't run the ball consistently, and pass pro is spotty from the interior.

We win because of Mahomes and a stellar group of receivers.

anyway, I'm not banging the table for anyone specifically, or even a specific position.

In Veach I'll trust.

FAX
04-19-2020, 02:09 PM
Is Terez Paylor married? Does he have a girlfriend? Does he own a doghouse?

FAX

DaneMcCloud
04-19-2020, 02:10 PM

And that's where priorities come into play.

What helps the Chiefs more, a safety like Delpit, a running back like Dobbins, CEH, Swift and Akers, or a corner like Terrell or a center?

To me, the answer is clear.

We don't get any push up front, especially inside. We don't run the ball consistently, and pass pro is spotty from the interior.

The Chiefs didn't run the ball well because they had a worn out LeSean McCoy for most of the season and Damien Williams was periodically injured.

Darwin Award Thompson and Darrel Williams should be PS candidates at best, although I wouldn't waste a roster spot on Thompson.

FAX
04-19-2020, 02:19 PM
Yeah ... the bloom is off the rose with Darwin Award ...

I'm not sure he's mentally equipped to properly function in Wally's offense. (Unless we're talking about 3 snaps late in a game.) I also don't see a significant contribution from him on special teams (1 notable play notwithstanding ... that he almost fugged up, anyhow).

So let's can his ass.

Williams #1 has value (IMHO). Williams #2 has potential and serves as a good practice squad guy, backup guy, and special teams guy.

I know almost nothing about the new addition dude from the Faid via Tech.

The more this subject gets hammered into my skull, the more I think it's possible we do elect to draft a ball-carrier at 32.

I was once 100/0 against. Now, I'm more 50/50/on-the-fence ... and there's a splinter lodged in my testicle.

FAX

RunKC
04-19-2020, 02:23 PM
Good case study: watch the Ravens game last year. No Tyreek Hill or Damien Williams.

McCoy and Williams had arguably their best games that day and it opened the offense up as well as protected Pat.

I think that’s what we need and why we should draft a RB early. That type of production is what we got from Hunt in 2018 which opened things up even more.

MahomesMagic
04-19-2020, 02:23 PM

We win because of Mahomes and a stellar group of receivers.

anyway, I'm not banging the table for anyone specifically, or even a specific position.

In Veach I'll trust.

Absolutely. Mahomes covers up a lot but that doesn't mean we are all set on the interior. I think the Chiefs think that as well...just comes down to the value and when they address it.

Pitt Gorilla
04-19-2020, 02:24 PM
Reiter was the second best OL after Schwartz against arguably the best defensive line in the past 5-10 years. Get ****ed CP Reiter is better than what people give him credit forVery much this. I crapped on Reiter for the first half of the season. Then, the inside mesh got better. Reiter was very good throughout the playoffs, regardless of what Chief Fan thinks.

DaneMcCloud
04-19-2020, 02:27 PM
Absolutely. Mahomes covers up a lot but that doesn't mean we are all set on the interior. I think the Chiefs think that as well...just comes down to the value and when they address it.

If the Chiefs felt that the interior of the offensive line wasn't good enough, they would have released LDT, which would free up $7 million in cap space.

Maybe they'll attempt to upgrade the IOL in the draft but considering they traded for Rankin, extended Reiter and are paying LDT $9 million this year, it appears that they're fine with their current starters.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-19-2020, 03:38 PM
I’m perfectly fine with the O line we currently have. Defense is where we need to focus on. Although a RB and WR should be chosen somewhere in this draft

Kiimo
04-19-2020, 03:38 PM
I am gonna give Darwin another year before I'm writing him off.

Buckweath
04-19-2020, 04:27 PM
If the Chiefs felt that the interior of the offensive line wasn't good enough, they would have released LDT, which would free up $7 million in cap space.

Maybe they'll attempt to upgrade the IOL in the draft but considering they traded for Rankin, extended Reiter and are paying LDT $9 million this year, it appears that they're fine with their current starters.
I guess you missed the news that the Chiefs reportedly made a push to sign Andrus Peat.

I believe Veach clearly knows he must invest immediately in the OL. You have to be proactive to protect Mahomes for the foreseeable future and not think it is good enough and then risk having a disaster because of injuries or poor play.

RunKC
04-19-2020, 04:41 PM
OL is probably going to be the most affected group in the league from our situation. Those 5 guys need time together to develop chemistry. Probably a big reason why we didn’t get rid of anyone.

DaneMcCloud
04-19-2020, 04:48 PM
I guess you missed the news that the Chiefs reportedly made a push to sign Andrus Peat.

Poking around is not the same as making an offer.

There's no freakin' way the Chiefs were looking to pay a guard $11.3 million a year when they have Chris Jones, Mahomes and others to pay.

staylor26
04-19-2020, 04:55 PM
Veach was very specific when talking about the depth of the OL class, saying he believes it has depth through the first 4 rounds.

I don’t think we go OL till rounds 3-4 based on that and our history drafting OL since Reid’s been here.

Titty Meat
04-19-2020, 05:11 PM
The Chiefs have no needs according to S Taylor

staylor26
04-19-2020, 05:16 PM
The Chiefs have no needs according to S Taylor

Clearly

1. CB- only 2 on the roster
2. IOL- we need at least 1 starter
3. LB- we still don’t have a coverage LB
4. RB- Williams is the only reliable guy we have
5. WR- likely losing Watkins and DRob
6. TE- we could use an upgrade at TE2
7. S- lack of depth and Lucas is an UFA

Get something right for one in your life

Titty Meat
04-19-2020, 05:20 PM
Clearly

Get something right for one in your life

GET SOMETHING ONE LMAO

staylor26
04-19-2020, 05:21 PM
GET SOMETHING ONE LMAO

Yea clearly not a typo and I didn’t meant to say once :rolleyes:

Buckweath
04-19-2020, 06:56 PM
Poking around is not the same as making an offer.

There's no freakin' way the Chiefs were looking to pay a guard $11.3 million a year when they have Chris Jones, Mahomes and others to pay.

It was all other the news that the Chiefs were interested in Andrus Peat. Now, it does make sense that while they were interested, they wouldn't offer close to what the Saints paid him in the end

Why are you mad because I'm setting you straight?

Be a man jeez.

DaneMcCloud
04-19-2020, 06:59 PM
It was all other the news that the Chiefs were interested in Andrus Peat.

This isn't even a coherent sentence.

Why are you mad because I'm setting you straight?

LMAO

Be a man jeez.

Shut your pie hole, Hoser

Chris Meck
04-19-2020, 07:03 PM
we're all saying shades of the same thing.

Nobody thinks we couldn't use an upgrade at interior offensive line or running back.

We all have our ideas as to which problem is most crucial and whether it should be addressed first or later.

Buckweath
04-19-2020, 07:08 PM
This isn't even a coherent sentence.

LMAO

Shut your pie hole, Hoser
Go outside a bit. It will do you good.

Chiefshrink
04-19-2020, 07:08 PM
I’m perfectly fine with the O line we currently have.

So you are okay with a subpar running game and Mahomes still taking too many hits coming up through our interior line?:shrug:

Chieftain
04-19-2020, 07:12 PM
I really like Zack Moss's game. He does have almost an identical running style to that of Kareem. Should be a consideration in R2. I still insist that we need a CB with one of the first two picks.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-19-2020, 07:14 PM
So you are okay with a subpar running game and Mahomes still taking too many hits coming up through our interior line?:shrug:

Mahomes is one of the least sacked QBs in the game

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-19-2020, 07:14 PM
Dez to KC?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We&#39;re getting indications that teams&#39; accelerated investigation of the idea of adding <a href="https://twitter.com/DezBryant?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@DezBryant</a> ( <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Chiefs</a> ? <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cowboys?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cowboys</a> ?) will most likely occur following <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NFLDraft?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#NFLDraft</a> <a href="https://t.co/famZk4034v">pic.twitter.com/famZk4034v</a></p>&mdash; fishsports (@fishsports) <a href="https://twitter.com/fishsports/status/1252025629471576064?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 20, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BryanBusby
04-19-2020, 07:15 PM
I really like Zack Moss's game. He does have almost an identical running style to that of Kareem. Should be a consideration in R2. I still insist that we need a CB with one of the first two picks.
This draft is so deep that I wouldn't mind if they waited till the 3rd or 4th to get a corner.

staylor26
04-19-2020, 07:21 PM
This draft is so deep that I wouldn't mind if they waited till the 3rd or 4th to get a corner.

Man, I like this corner class, but it’s going to get raided in the first 2 rounds.

I’m fine taking one later, but I’m not expecting a potential starter either.

DaneMcCloud
04-19-2020, 07:22 PM
we're all saying shades of the same thing.

Nobody thinks we couldn't use an upgrade at interior offensive line or running back.

We all have our ideas as to which problem is most crucial and whether it should be addressed first or later.

I think the middle of the offensive line is taking unnecessary heat due to the fact that the Chiefs trotted out 31 year old LeSean McCoy, whose wheels had fallen off at the conclusion of the 2017 season. And for whatever reason, a large majority of people here seem to have forgotten that Damien Williams, who will be 28 to start the season, was only available for 6 regular season starts because he's always injured.

Furthermore, the offensive line was in tatters all season long due to an injury that caused Eric Fisher to miss 8 games, multiple starting left guards and either declining play or an undisclosed injury to LDT. Hopefully, Fisher is able to stay healthy this upcoming season and LDT is able to return to form.

And sure, the Chiefs could upgrade the interior of the offensive line, if they didn't have more pressing needs early in the draft. But if the offensive line was as bad as some people here seem to think, there's no way the Chiefs would have won 12 games, let alone, won the Super Bowl against a dominant defensive front.

BryanBusby
04-19-2020, 07:26 PM
Man, I like this corner class, but it’s going to get raided in the first 2 rounds.

I’m fine taking one later, but I’m not expecting a potential starter either.
Pfft we can draft Lamar Jackson on Saturday and he can pick off Lamar Jackson.

SAGA45
04-19-2020, 07:39 PM

Be said RB was a need which it is. Nothing about taking one in the 1st round.

Chris Meck
04-19-2020, 07:42 PM
I think the middle of the offensive line is taking unnecessary heat due to the fact that the Chiefs trotted out 31 year old LeSean McCoy, whose wheels had fallen off at the conclusion of the 2017 season. And for whatever reason, a large majority of people here seem to have forgotten that Damien Williams, who will be 28 to start the season, was only available for 6 regular season starts because he's always injured.

Furthermore, the offensive line was in tatters all season long due to an injury that caused Eric Fisher to miss 8 games, multiple starting left guards and either declining play or an undisclosed injury to LDT. Hopefully, Fisher is able to stay healthy this upcoming season and LDT is able to return to form.

And sure, the Chiefs could upgrade the interior of the offensive line, if they didn't have more pressing needs early in the draft. But if the offensive line was as bad as some people here seem to think, there's no way the Chiefs would have won 12 games, let alone, won the Super Bowl against a dominant defensive front.

well, Erving was a dumpster fire at LT. Wylie is shite. Fisher coming back plus Wisniewski was much better, I'll agree. This also coincided roughly with Damien Williams return to form.

Are we forgetting that wide stretch in the middle of the season where the board was all, "What's wrong with Mahomes?!" What was wrong was he was playing on one leg and his line was leaking like a sieve. Injuries for sure, no Fisher absolutely. But Wisniewski is gone now too. As far as I'm concerned, we have no starting LG and a below average Center paired with an average-ish RG. Wiz with Fisher was pretty alright down the stretch, but we're down one of those guys.

Rankin wasn't awful at LG, but compared to Wylie, that's not saying a lot, I don't think.

LDT didn't look like he did pre-injury. Is that because Reiter blows? I kind of feel like that's part of it. Maybe so, maybe not.

Damien doesn't play a full season carrying the load, that much is apparent So we need to upgrade the RB spot.

What we're all arguing about is really 1)draft value 2) draft positional depth and 3) cause and effect as to what's more a problem, the blocking or the ball carrier.

Mahomes' escapability is really one of his elite traits. Just because he doesn't get sacked a lot doesn't mean the line is fine.

He still takes a lot of hits as he's releasing.

Chris Meck
04-19-2020, 07:48 PM
just from doing dozens of mock drafts, using every available big board, it seems like this:

If you don't take a CB at #32, you have an outside shot at a 2nd tier guy at #63 but after that, they're gone.

If you don't take a RB at #32, they're still there, sometimes all the way to #96.

If you don't take a C at #32 (Ruiz basically) you can usually get the Biadascz/Hennessey tier all the way into #96.

the top Guards are usually there until the third round or even fourth.

The top LB'ers are usually gone by the end of the second.

All just speculation of course, and what do these guys all really KNOW? Nothing really, it's just guessing.

But just based on that, and watching mocks, I'd say you kind of need to go LB/CB in those first two rounds, maybe RB or C in the third or fourth. If you feel like Reiter's not the problem, you can certainly get solid G talent in the fourth.

But again, who knows how it will actually shake out.

Chiefshrink
04-19-2020, 08:00 PM
Mahomes is one of the least sacked QBs in the game

I'll reiterate Meck's #208 post i.e. Mahomes escability in the pocket. It is one of his elite traits and that is his 'intuitional feel' of when to take off. You don't want Pat taking off 75% of the time every time he drops back because the odds are not in his favor of escaping injury over time. And the other 25% he is taking a hit after releasing a pass. Pat is our Lamborghini and we need to provide the best garage of protection for him at all times and right now I'm not sold on our interior line. The word is out that the Chiefs interior line is how you get to Pat and you can bet teams especially the AFC West will beef that up.

DaneMcCloud
04-19-2020, 08:14 PM
Rankin wasn't awful at LG, but compared to Wylie, that's not saying a lot, I don't think.

IMO, Rankin was the best performer at LG last season and it wasn't even close. Considering the guy was a last minute addition prior to the start of the regular season, he should be a serious upgrade, especially playing next to Fisher.

Wisnewski looked good because he's a veteran that's played in Reid's WCO under Pederson but he was hardly anything special and average at best.

I can definitely see the Chiefs adding a Center/Guard guy later in the draft and as I've said repeatedly, I'm hoping they trade out of the first round and pick up an additional 5th or 6th because Reid's has a track record of success with offensive lineman, especially in the 6th.

The other thing to keep in mind is because of the inability to re-check and give physicals to players coming off of injury, there's going to be a mad scramble to sign undrafted guys, so there's a better than good chance that they'll hit on at least one developmental offensive lineman that could pay dividends late this season or next.

But unless they take a guy early, the offensive line will probably be Fisher/Rankin/Reiter/LDT/Schwartz, barring injury, to start the season. It would be nice to see them healthy for at least 12 of their 16 games, which is something we haven't seen in a while.

Wallcrawler
04-19-2020, 09:40 PM
I'd love to see interior OL addressed to protect the investment. Linebacker is most pressing need on defensive side of the ball. G, or C should come in one of the early rounds.

SAGA45
04-19-2020, 09:42 PM
This is from another thread in the draft forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=329538):

The similarities are startling...

Toledo RB Kareem Hunt (2017 Combine) -- Age 21.6 years, 5'11" 216 lbs, 9.63 inch hands, 31.38 inch arms, 4.62 40 yd dash, 36.5 inch vert, 18 Bench Press Reps, 119.0 inch broad jump, 4.51 short shuttle(pro day)

Florida RB La'Mical Perine (2020 Combine) -- Age 22.1 years, 5'11" 216 lbs, 10.25 inch hands, 31.63 inch arms, 4.62 40 yd dash, 35 inch vert, 22 Bench Press Reps, 118.0 inch broad jump, 4.31 short shuttle

Perine has been projected anywhere from late 3rd to mid 5th. He was also one of several backs the Chiefs did both a formal and informal interview with at the combine. Just a name to keep in mind.

Stryker
04-19-2020, 10:16 PM
Key word, RB fuck these other positions. Grab JK Robbins and work from there!
You know how this goes!

KChiefs1
04-20-2020, 12:04 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200420/6ee8b03df095d61cf6f57a6b2c15d198.jpg

Halfcan
04-20-2020, 12:07 AM
I want the Chiefs to draft 5 stud players that all end up All-Pro and in the HOF someday.

JakeF
04-20-2020, 10:49 AM
The most important we have to do is protect Patrick Mahomes. The better our offensive line the more dangerous Mahomes is and the safer Mahomes. We don't want our young QB getting slapped around. After last year, you know teams #1 goal is going to be knocking Mahomes around.

Center or Guard or both need to be upgraded.

I wish we would have kept Wisniewski, he was a solid guy for cheap.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-20-2020, 10:59 AM
Patrick Queen makes the All Juice team!!