PDA

View Full Version : Life Interstate Road Trip Tournament, Round 1, Heat 19.

Rain Man
04-16-2020, 07:37 PM
Just a little offseason exercise. There are 80 different Interstate highways in the USA (including Puerto Rico). Which one would be best for a road trip?

I've set the rules as follows (in spoiler for those of you who've read them already]:

I'm also including highways in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico that are essentially interstate highways, though they're not called that since they don't cross state boundaries.

It'll be a single-elimination tournament, though some will regain new life in wild-card spots to get the tournament bracket correct.

You get a minimum of 7 days on any highway, regardless of length. However, if the length requires more than 150 miles of travel per day, you'll get extra days until your daily mileage drops below 150 miles.

You may travel in either direction.

You may stop at attractions along the way, but at no point can you be more than 10 miles from the interstate.

You have the budget to stay at any hotel or dine at any restaurant within ten miles of the interstate.

You may spend multiple nights in any location but you cannot drive more than 250 miles in a single day. So you have to budget your driving time.

You may use any criteria you wish to make your vote. You can consider the driving lengths and conditions, scenery, attractions along the way, any outstanding warrants you have in that state, the likelihood of a Christie Brinkley clone waving at your from a Ferrari, or anything else you might wish to consider.

You can pick the time of year.

You can pick the vehicle that you drive. Assume that you're renting any vehicle that you could purchase for $50,000 or less (new or used). It can be different vehicles on different road trips, so you can customize to fit.

I'll post the basics of each route, but I don't see any specific website that provides a good description of the attractions that one would see along the route. You're on your own for that. Of course, you can do a google map view to see what your scenery is.

If you're reading this, post a type of bug without explanation.

Your next four competitors are:

Option 1 - I92 from Canton, MA, to St. Johnsberry, VT
7 Day Trip
190 Miles, 27 miles per day on average
Passes through Manchester and Concord

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_93

Option 2 - A3 from Wasilla to Fairbanks
7 Day Trip
315 miles, 45 miles per day on average
Passes through Denali National Park

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Parks_Highway

Option 3 - I5 from San Ysidro, CA, to Blaine, WA
10 Day Trip
1,381 miles, 138 miles per day on average
Passes through Los Angeles, Sacramento, Eugene, Portland, Olympia, Tacoma, and Seattle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_5

Option 4 - I16 from Macon, GA, to Savannah, GA
7 Day Trip
167 miles, 24 miles per day on average
Passes through eastern Georgia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_16

Rain Man
04-16-2020, 07:43 PM
All of these are kind of interesting.

I like Savannah, but it's the only appeal to I-16. I'd just drive straight to Savannah on Day 1 and spend a week there, which would be nice.

I-93 is mostly through New Hampshire, which would be nice. I'm not sure that's a top choice, but it would be nice.

So it comes down to A3 or I-5. A3 goes through Denali. Wow. That's hard to beat. And I've always wanted to visit Fairbanks. But I-5 would take me through northern California, which would be interesting, and I've never spent any real time in Oregon. Granted, driving I-5 through Los Angeles would be a nightmare, though. I'll also note that one of the best restaurant meals I've ever had was in Seattle.

I'll go I-5, but I'd really like A3 as well.

stumppy
04-16-2020, 08:28 PM
I5 with A3 a real close second.

Either way the scenery should be great.

Mr. Kotter
04-16-2020, 11:54 PM
I5 with A3 a real close second.

Either way the scenery should be great.

“Eh. Too many tree hugging, ‘Merica hating, communist libtards...fugg ALL that!!!”

MAGA! KAG!

Tell me....amiright...? ;)

LMAO

Old Dog
04-17-2020, 07:25 AM
Have made that drive on A3 and would love to do it again.

patteeu
04-17-2020, 01:55 PM
This seems like a strong heat. I picked A3 over I5 only because I've been through most parts of I5 at various times in my life, but never to Alaska.

frozenchief
04-17-2020, 02:49 PM
Scenery on A3 is gorgeous. Just make sure to do it at a good time of year. Getting a flat tire near Cantwell in, say, February when its 15 degrees is not a lot of fun.